• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Tell that to the FighterZ development team that added Videl over Hercule/Mr. Satan. Seriously, both were heavily requested, but Mr. Satan was requested way more but Videl makes three females in the game now and that was something people were talking about: 'female representation.'

Also, I get that Mr. Satan COULD be one of the other two unrevealed characters, but as all these fellas here who SWEAR that Geno's only chance is to be misc DLC, I would tell you the same thing now that Videl is revealed as part of the pass. Those two more HAVE to be Roshi and Janemba, the two most requested characters for Season 2 Pass, or there WILL be a riot...and if Roshi isn't on there, I will be part of that riot. I NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAX POWER: KAMEHAMEHA!

Roshi and Janemba really are the two most obvious choices left but the cynic in me is expecting two more versions of Goku and Vegeta just because I've been hurt before.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Roshi and Janemba really are the two most obvious choices left but the cynic in me is expecting two more versions of Goku and Vegeta just because I've been hurt before.
But we already have Gogeta at the end of this pack. What else is left?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So who is ready for the "the 5chan leak was fake" or "It wasn't actually Dragon Quest" fallout?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I honestly see us getting either Geno as DLC fighter or nothing at all. I don't think we will get the Mii costume.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
I honestly see us getting either Geno as DLC fighter or nothing at all. I don't think we will get the Mii costume.
I can see us getting the Mii costume again if they're coming back.

The assets are already made, might take a little touching up and away it goes, practically free money even if the costume itself doesn't sell that well.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So who is ready for the "the 5chan leak was fake" or "It wasn't actually Dragon Quest" fallout?
I still think we're getting Erdrick, but... sorry, I still also believe that 5chan leak is a bunch of bull. No one saw Joker coming, yet now, all of a sudden, we know the entire freaking DLC roster?

Yeah. No. I don't buy it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, I think the Mii costume is coming regardless. It makes sense to want to make money off their dead IP. This is a necessity too, as if you don't use an IP as is, you can lose the copyright to it. That's why some regions are more harsh on people trying to get the copyright over and over. Use it or lose it. It makes sense too. Things of how long it took for Geno to appear again. They've been decades apart. But it's being used enough so Square-Enix doesn't have to give up the rights.

Albeit, I might be off on Japanese law. I know this is part of how copyright works, but I'm no expert.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
God, I've never wanted someone to be so wrong ever before in my life.

Here's to hoping that Verge is just full of **** completely and we get Geno, Muten Rosh-sama and Janemba instead of Virgindrick, Ultra Piss-tinct Goku or the non-canon yet sweet looking GT versions of Carrot Cake and Virginia.

Mod Edit: Please let the censors do their job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I still think we could get both Geno and Erdrick. Square likes money.
Sakurai: "Look, we want to bring everyone back, so we want Cloud. We also would like Geno this time too."
By what you say Square could had inserted Geno in a DQ title in the first place. Sakurai doesn't even need to start this.

As mentioned in #28,804, Geno's license issue existed, but we cannot assume that is the only reason why he doesn't appear in Smash or other games so far as if it definitely works this time.

Imagine that Geno wasn't chosen as the SE rep, but instead he makes it into Super Mario Galaxy 3 and money prints out of his jaw and Square regrets their decision
I would buy it, anyway.

If Geno's added, it'll likely be for same reasons K. Rool and Ridley were, because a ton of people wanted them.
KingKRool and Ridley still have their significance to their franchise, not like they totally rely on great fanbase.
The only possible assumption, if they didn't make it into Smash, is that Nintendo determine to replace them with new major villains in new Switch titles.

Yeah, they're just related with something called "Opportunity Cost", that's why some people feel like it's a war where only one can survive and be the fighter, the "Rep".
Geno'd be so easy since Sakurai already had a Moveset for it, remember that he said at one time that he thinks in a moveset before thinking on adding it?
If they feel they have enough time, if Sakurai still want it.
Again, ultimately the very major reason whyt Geno is not "Rep" for Mario franchise is that we don't see other core Mario directors want him as much as Sakurai (even Sakurai is not in charge of any Mario game at this point)

As mentioned in #28,804, I don't feel like it's good to rely on Sakurai. I think the new directors of Smash 6 or Mario games still need to notice him for his popularity not for their personal likes.

D

Deleted member

God, I've never wanted someone to be so wrong ever before in my life.

Here's to hoping that Verge is just full of s*** completely and we get Geno, Muten Rosh-sama and Janemba instead of Virgindrick, Ultra Piss-tinct Goku or the non-canon yet sweet looking GT versions of Carrot Cake and Virginia.
So I have an idea for the reveal of the last 2 DLC characters in wave 1.

It's the final direct before revealing all the currently planned DLC, and it cuts to a dark screen. Vergeben, Hitagi, and xenother are typing away on their computers, sending out messages that Erdrick and Steve are the final two DLC characters. The characters are about to be revealed, and they expect two splash screens - one for Erdrick, one for Steve. However, they suddenly hear Sakurai in the distance, laughing. Laughing that they fell for his bait. But, at the time, they don't know why he is laughing. They proceed to leak Erdrick and Steve as much as possible.

Then two text boxes are shown. A certain brown text box with black font, and another certain black text box with white font. The text appears in the brown text box "I serve...a higher authority" and the text appears in the black text box "GUH-HUH."

Geno and Banjo
Destroy the leaks!

Sakurai laughs insanely and Vergeben, Hitagi, and xenother run to their safest location away from Sakurai. It then cuts to the Super Smash Bros Ultimate title screen.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Smash Ultimate has just been leak bait. The real smash is going to be announced on the next Nintendo Direct. That is going to be next week.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Personally, I've soured on Geno. He's not a main character of his franchise as a whole, he's a spinoff character, and a one-shot all rolled into one.

Is there a way to change my view?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Tell that to the FighterZ development team that added Videl over Hercule/Mr. Satan. Seriously, both were heavily requested, but Mr. Satan was requested way more but Videl makes three females in the game now and that was something people were talking about: 'female representation.'

Also, I get that Mr. Satan COULD be one of the other two unrevealed characters, but as all these fellas here who SWEAR that Geno's only chance is to be misc DLC, I would tell you the same thing now that Videl is revealed as part of the pass. Those two more HAVE to be Roshi and Janemba, the two most requested characters for Season 2 Pass, or there WILL be a riot...and if Roshi isn't on there, I will be part of that riot. I NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAX POWER: KAMEHAMEHA!

Kefla (or Caulifla with Kale as an assist) was also a very highly requested fighter for FighterZ after her reveal. She, Roshi, and Janemba would certainly get people hyped. UI Goku however not so much, especially given how much of a thud Jiren left

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally, I've soured on Geno. He's not a main character of his franchise as a whole, he's a spinoff character, and a one-shot all rolled into one.

Watch this video:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

He's got a pretty cool design, popular, and has good gameplay potential. I'd say those are pretty significant things.

D

Deleted member

Depends on how much you like Super Mario RPG. I think the biggest reason above all else people want Geno is because there's a positive emotional connection to the character in some way.

Though, the fact that Geno got into Smash Bros at all as a mii costume and four-star spirit highlights how big his following is for a spinoff character. It boils down to how much you like his game or character design and how effectively his following grows within the next few years.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't see why it should matter if he's a spin-off character or not. As long as the franchise he's from at least has some important characters, he's good to be in. Not everybody needs to be a main character. Many of the Pokemon sure aren't(at best, Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer himself. That's literally it). The rest have no roles where they are the main character of any said game. And they're as important as Geno is, which is a major role in their respective movies or anime appearances. Though to be fair, not everybody was even chosen because of that. Charizard at best among PT had influence as a major thing, but Squirtle and Ivysaur didn't have that either. Squirtle was just a better balanced option over Blastoise. Ivysaur was a last pick to fit the quota of "showing off evolution", which became part of PT's design. It doesn't appear it was intended originally either, and we may not have had more than 2 Pokemon). Lucario, Pichu, Mewtwo all had their own movies. Incineroar and Greninja were chosen due to wanting a S/M and X/Y rep. Jigglypuff was both due to anime popularity and easy to put into the game due to being a semi-clone of Kirby, as Mewtwo, who was intended for Smash 64, was too difficult to make. The fact it didn't see a base roster till Ultimate since Melee, it's fairly obvious it's not an easy Pokemon to make work right. Balance be damned.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
He's got a pretty cool design, popular, and has good gameplay potential. I'd say those are pretty significant things.
Taste of designs may be subjective, but I'm sure most characters from Nintendo action games, RPGs and platformers own good fighting abilities as well, just saying the whole Mario franchise there is a good bunch of such characters.

In an objective view, what Geno is best known for among all Mario characters is his popularity. While I agree popularity is very vital to a fictional character, it mainly works for active characters because that can prolong the life of game franchise, however the issue is we still don't know if Geno is "alive" in video games.

I don't see why it should matter if he's a spin-off character or not. As long as the franchise he's from at least has some important characters, he's good to be in. Not everybody needs to be a main character. Many of the Pokemon sure aren't(at best, Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer himself. That's literally it)
We better not compare those obscure cases when other franchies don't work in the same way with Mario series. Pokemon is not a continuous story with same group of known characters, but more about iconics or various different standards to pick characters from each gen, unless we mean the cartoon adaption where Pikachu is mostly seen.

It's never that any secondary/minor/one-off character can have a chance, let's jus remember there are loads of them beside Geno.

Ultimately as mentinoed in #28,804, the very major reason why it matters, is that a potential character should have chances to be promtoed into a main one. Not like we want our favorite character to be always insignificant and ignored, if so he doesn't need to be in Smash bros as well.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Woah guys........Finally....................... He's in................................................
View attachment 190164
Wow, I guess this means Monkey D. Luffy, Portgas D. Ace, Sanji, Robin, Boa Hancock, Trafalgar Law, Rob Lucci, Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin, Trunks, Champa, and (if that's even him at the very bottom) Saitama are coming for DLC? I'll definitely be looking forward to playing as them all! Especially-- wait a minute... We're missing one. Are you serious? Where's Katakuri? Wait, Katakuri isn't coming to Smash?! I know Katakuri is like 16 feet tall, but what the hell? Don't those heartless ******** know they could just scale him down like they did with Ridley?!

#NotTooBig

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ultimately as mentinoed in #28,804, the very major reason why it matters, is that a potential character should have chances to be promtoed into a main one. Not like we want our favorite character to be always insignificant and ignored, if so he doesn't need to be in Smash bros as well.
Sheik's been in Smash since Zelda made it in, and she's never seen the light of day in anything but a spinoff again.

Even if Geno gets in, why do you think this will fix things?

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Sheik's been in Smash since Zelda made it in, and she's never seen the light of day in anything but a spinoff again.
Only depends on if the case is appliable. Zelda, You know Sheik is not own independent character, and while each title is built in a seperate canon, not like we can see Sheik or Tetra in each story. But I do admit wanting to see Zelda returns as Sheik in any future Zelda game.

I don't think Smash bros is supposed to do "fixings" as well. Then Nintendo can use it to "fix" other characters beside Geno and we fans cannot complain.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At the time, when Sheik was playable, she was made as a different playable version of Zelda, rather than her own, separate character.

Plus, OoT wasn't too old of a game at the time, so intentions of including Sheik were likely not to have her appear in more games.

With Geno, he would be given more attention to have himself as his own character, and his game is old. Intentions of having Geno appear in more games if he is in Smash are more likely than when Sheik was included

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I think this is a very different situation than Shiek. When Shiek appeared in Melee OoT was the most recent LoZ game. She wasn't an irrelevant character at that point. Even then trying to pin Shiek as a one-off is kind of a stretch considering she is in reality Zelda (sorry, spoilers). It's like calling Zero Suit Samus a one-off character. But Shiek aside Geno is a Mario character and a very popular one given the context of his absence from most of the series. Mario games are still happening. It's not like Duck Hunt or Ice Climbers. There is a precedent for characters/series getting into Smash and seeing a resurgence in demand/popularity such as Kid Icarus, Earthbound, and Fire Emblem. Geno in Smash would be a big step towards giving him a greater amount of mainstream popularity and possibly seeing him getting into at least another Mario RPG game if anything just to test the waters as to his appeal to modern audiences.

Quillion

Smash Hero
At the time, when Sheik was playable, she was made as a different playable version of Zelda, rather than her own, separate character.

Plus, OoT wasn't too old of a game at the time, so intentions of including Sheik were likely not to have her appear in more games.

With Geno, he would be given more attention to have himself as his own character, and his game is old. Intentions of having Geno appear in more games if he is in Smash are more likely than when Sheik was included
I did want King K. Rool in for that reason, I admit. That said, Geno won't be able to add anything to the current Mario canon other than being a Waluigi/Daisy-type staple spinoff character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sheik was also going to be in TP, but that idea got scrapped. Then her Smash design came from the original concept art being turned into a full model. So she relied on them intending to reuse her. Also, Scribblenauts did use a toon-like Sheik design, so she's still quite well-remembered.

But it doesn't much matter. Zelda and Sheik were the concept together, as separate characters overall, but via a transformation mechanic. You weren't getting one without the other.

One-offs don't really matter. Look at Shulk. The Zelda series also doesn't even have a single character playable that isn't a member of the Triforce Trio. It's hardly comparable.

While the Mario series has tons of characters with no true canon, and various potential storylines. I'd love Waluigi in too just for who he is. That's more than enough to get him in. He's always relevant, highly popular, and has tons of potential. If he hasn't gotten in yet, nobody knows why. One thought is only one character currently tied to the sports spin-offs was wanted, and only Daisy was easy enough to make. But she was low effort moveset-wise, while having a huge amount of aesthetic changes, making her personality shine through quite well. So either way, it worked out. I feel bad for Waluigi fans, too, since the timing was pretty awful. After him being AT'd a lot, she went from nothing more than a costume reference to a full blown character. It caused a lot of salt. Not only being in the same direct, but being very close reveals. Of course, many understood that Daisy solely got in because of the Echo factor, which made her easier to add than Waluigi. They likely had the same amount of popularity, so priority went to "who can we actually get in easier".

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sheik was also going to be in TP, but that idea got scrapped. Then her Smash design came from the original concept art being turned into a full model. So she relied on them intending to reuse her. Also, Scribblenauts did use a toon-like Sheik design, so she's still quite well-remembered.

But it doesn't much matter. Zelda and Sheik were the concept together, as separate characters overall, but via a transformation mechanic. You weren't getting one without the other.

One-offs don't really matter. Look at Shulk. The Zelda series also doesn't even have a single character playable that isn't a member of the Triforce Trio. It's hardly comparable.

While the Mario series has tons of characters with no true canon, and various potential storylines. I'd love Waluigi in too just for who he is. That's more than enough to get him in. He's always relevant, highly popular, and has tons of potential. If he hasn't gotten in yet, nobody knows why. One thought is only one character currently tied to the sports spin-offs was wanted, and only Daisy was easy enough to make. But she was low effort moveset-wise, while having a huge amount of aesthetic changes, making her personality shine through quite well. So either way, it worked out. I feel bad for Waluigi fans, too, since the timing was pretty awful. After him being AT'd a lot, she went from nothing more than a costume reference to a full blown character. It caused a lot of salt. Not only being in the same direct, but being very close reveals. Of course, many understood that Daisy solely got in because of the Echo factor, which made her easier to add than Waluigi. They likely had the same amount of popularity, so priority went to "who can we actually get in easier".
At least there is precedent for Daisy being a main series character, even though she is a one-shot in that department. Geno has to be not a main series character, not a recurring character, and not a franchise main character all at once. Waluigi at least has being a spinoff staple, even though I think that he's also a pure spinoff character should wall him out.

D

Deleted member

I did want King K. Rool in for that reason, I admit. That said, Geno won't be able to add anything to the current Mario canon other than being a Waluigi/Daisy-type staple spinoff character.
It's his popularity and role in SMRPG that makes him stand out from Waluigi and Daisy. Waluigi was a character created for the sole reason of giving Wario a partner. He was always a Mario sports game from the beginning, and he didn't have a serious role in anything. Daisy had a major role in Super Mario Land, and, yes, while she was playable mainly in more Mario spin-offs, she was a playable character in Super Mario Run and made it into Smash. As an echo, so, again, low effort moveset wise.

The story in SMRPG revolves around Geno. Yes, he may not be the protagonist of it, but it's his story. It's his purpose to fix the star road and gather the seven stars. Once his purpose is finished, he leaves. The way SMRPG ends is that Geno's purpose is completed and he has to leave.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Depends on what you mean by "Mario canon" as that's sort of all over the place and rather non existent all things considered save for things like the Mushroom Kingdom, Bowser's Castle, Sarasaland sort of but not really, and a few other places. Events are generally kept contained to the game they're from and whatever sequels they have, and are generally rarely referenced between each other, and when they are it's usually in the form of an easter egg.

That being said, if Geno's inclusion (should it occur) also kicks off a revitalized interest in both him, and SMRPG, I wouldn't say no to a sequel, or anything else with Geno in it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
By what you say Square could had inserted Geno in a DQ title in the first place. Sakurai doesn't even need to start this.

KingKRool and Ridley still have their significance to their franchise, not like they totally rely on great fanbase.
The only possible assumption, if they didn't make it into Smash, is that Nintendo determine to replace them with new major villains in new Switch titles.
I... what? The DQ thing makes very little sense to me. Please excuse me if I'm being rude because I think I can tell that English is not your first language, so there may have been misinterpretation. That being said, it's a rather large leap in logic to believe that Sakurai requesting use of Geno for Smash, a win-win situation that gives the fans what they want and gives Square more money, could be applied to adding Geno into Dragon Quest. That has... no connection at all.

K. Rool in particular, while very relevant to his franchise and formerly DK's main antagonist, was going to be buried by Nintendo if Sakurai hadn't called dibs on reviving the character. They believed him to be too irrelevant, that no one would care for him to come back. I believe it was Miyamoto in particular who discouraged Retro from using K. Rool in the DKCR series, to which they obliged. If it wasn't for Sakurai listening to fan outcry, K. Rool would have stayed dead, so... he kinda was really dependent on the great fan base. If you told me two years ago that K. Rool was in the next Smash game, I would have laughed it off. That's how dead in the water he was, and I say that as a huge DKC/King K. Rool fan who campaigned for him for years.

First off, thanks for coming into the thread respectfully and without the intent of throwing tomatoes! I can't begin to say how many people I've seen come into the thread just to be like, "He's overrated! Give up! No one cares about your irrelevant puppet!" Coming in as a fresh face from a differing opinion without fists and vinegar is something that makes me very happy to see, even if your opinion stands after hearing us out. I know Geno's very hit or miss because of multiple reasons, and I advise you not to force yourself to like a character if you just can't bring yourself to it. It's fine if you aren't a fan of him. No worries, buddy.

That being said, I'll give my viewpoint. It's rather long-winded, so I'll put it in a spoiler tag.

I'm going to be perfectly frank with everyone here. Initially, I couldn't stand Geno. I thought that he was horribly overrated and had nothing going for him. "He has a gun in his arm? Big deal. What about his character? Mallow got a lot more character development and was a far better character overall. What is it about Geno that people zero in on? Why the Pinocchio ripoff?" I'm dead serious when I say that I, one of the biggest Geno advocates in my friend circle, was one of his biggest naysayers. I always scoffed at the idea of him getting into Smash or, heck, even returning to the Mario series in any form. Overrated, old, irrelevant, useless puppet. I'd even played SMRPG by then, so it wasn't because I hadn't gotten the experience. The ending of the game made me a little sad, but so did Paper Mario's and Super Paper Mario's, both for certain character reasons. Why Geno?

I just about had it. What was it that drew people to this dang character?! I have to unravel the puzzle.

I looked over Super Mario RPG's script as a refresher. Again, I didn't really see it too much, but as I kept looking at what little lines he had, I had a little chortle or two. "Yo, Smithy!" That definitely made me have a giggle, hearkening back to the days of Cloud telling everyone to mosey. It was such a small thing, but it took me aback. Everyone portrayed Geno as this stoic, unfeeling badass. What kind of line is this? It was so dorky and silly, and it's ridiculous how just two words flipped my view of Geno on its head.

I looked back to how he first awakened, and when he ran face-first into a wall, I had another laugh. The fact that he went to face Bowyer on his own, a star spirit without much experience in this new body, was kinda neat. With Mario's and Mallow's surprise at his existence, Geno laughed, and that threw me for yet another loop. I thought this character was flat, one-dimensional, 'overly cool', yet he's laughing and speaking with more enthusiasm than I expected. When taking him back to Gaz and seeing how he reacted to him, calling him a good sport and promising that he'd be back, he flipped me onto my back for the third time. All the grating stuff I saw online of Geno being annoyed by Mallow's very presence had given me the wrong vibe, and for some reason, that stuck in my head. This, however... contradicted that. He's a sweetheart. He's not an arrogant character, even if you can tell he has an air of confidence to him. He's surprisingly down-to-earth, treating Gaz, a child he doesn't personally know, so sweetly.

I still didn't see the big hoopla, but it did make me warm up to him. Then, I really looked at his design and felt enticed to draw him. When I did, I felt just how smoothly his design pieced together, how easy it was for me to go from requiring reference to not needing it at all when composing his form. His colors stuck out to me very memorably, and I realized... hey. He has a really neat design. Then, it hit me: his design is actually, from an artist standpoint, very well done.

Here comes the art nerd in me. You've been warned.

Geno's design appeals in terms of two key factors: his shapes and his colors. His body is made particularly of many round shapes, which psychologically will come across as 'cute' to the eye, bulbous and fitting with the Mario universe. However, it is also offset by what makes him seem 'cool': the triangular shapes in his cape, a stark contrast from the rest of him. The composure of shapes gives two different messages that piece together a coherent form, a character whose design is intended to appeal to multiple audiences. If you want to look at this character's design for how cute he appears with his large eyes and doll body, you'll find it. If you want to see him for his 'cool' aspects, surprise! He has that, too, in his neat cape and his half-moon eyes brought by the droop of his hat. The curls are a unique feature coupled with the marking on his hat, simple concepts that give something else to the character, a je ne sais quoi.

Now, his colors. In terms of color theory, we have complimentary colors, as well as analogous, adjacent, triad, and tetrad palettes. Complimentary colors are often on opposing sides of the color wheel to make a contrast that is also visually appealing. Red goes with green oftentimes as a result, as well as pinks with lime greens, purples and yellows, and, yes... blues and oranges. Adjacent colors are taken into account, as well, meaning blue and yellow goes very well together, and it isn't farfetched to find pinks with mint greens. You get the idea, right? Combine that with triad colors, a set of three colors with at least two being complimentary and one being adjacent, and you have a palette for a character design that could easily work well. Geno's main colors featured are a vibrant blue and gold, with warm browns and deep orange adjacent colors to fit. The blues with the oranges and golds make a fine triad palette, whereas the addition of the brown rounds it out into a tetrad palette.

I... yeah, I told you I was about to get really art nerdy. Basically, in terms of color theory and shape theory, Geno's design is incredibly cohesive and thought out. It's no wonder his appearance is so striking and appeals to a lot of people. It hits all of the right notes, even in its simplicity. It goes to show that making a character design full of bells and whistles isn't always better than doing something that is easy on the eye, yet logical. (I'm looking at you, Nomura. Remember your fundamentals and stop using belts as crutches. You're a professional as opposed to me being a hobbyist. You should know this, consarn it!)

Okay. I've warmed up to him quite a bit more now, but I still don't see why people are so desperate to have him back. Sure, he has not only one, but also multiple guns strewn through his body, he's a sweet and dutiful guy with funny, dorky moments and sprites, and he has a sad departure at the end of the game, but... why? He doesn't have the development Mallow has, after all.

That's when it hit me.

The answer was in front of me the whole time.

Mallow got his development. He got to find his long-lost family and make his own wish come true. We saw him grow from a timid tadpole to a strong prince of Nimbus Land. Geno served his purpose on this planet and left, but what happens to him then? Who is his higher authority? Did he really want to leave? Did he just have to? Why not stay with his friends? Does he have friends, family, and loved ones wherever he is? He seems particularly reluctant about parting ways in Smithy's factory, acting rather melancholy before the big battle. Despite being tied to his duty, is this really what he wants? Would he rather just stay with his new friends instead of remaining with his duty that he's so bound to?

I realized that the potential to explore other aspects of Geno and his life, his lore, and his purpose is right there in front of my eyes, and yet... it's never expanded upon. In fact, as the Mario series goes on, we see far more interesting space lore afterward that makes me wonder. It makes me contemplate what could have happened if Geno got more of an arc. There is so much we know about him, yet it's still so very little. His mystery and intrigue has gone unsolved for so many years. Mallow got what he deserved, a wonderful expansion of his character and story. Geno... didn't get that, but if he had, I'd have no doubt that it would have captivated people with his character even more.

The reason why people zero in on Geno instead of Mallow is because there is still so much left unknown and unsaid. The reason people want him back is to see him being used to his fullest potential, something he was robbed of by Square refusing to use him again, refusing to continue his tale and his personal journey, refusing to expand upon the interesting entity we've been reaching at for more.

I would love to see them both return to the Mario series in some form, but Mallow's story is pretty much already told. Geno's hasn't, and I think... that is ultimately what all of us really want. We want to see him again. We want to learn more about him. We want to acquaint ourselves more with the passing ship in the night that is Geno, the one referred to in the Japanese version as a 'heavenly messenger'. We want to see if there are any neat ideas to explore with current Mario space lore (of which there is plenty of potential to be had). We want him to be with his friends. We want to see a happy star spirit in a familiar old doll, ready to share his stories and open our eyes to his tales.

It's then that I felt I finally understood.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean we got Daisy. She's only ever been in spin offs.

Edit: Unless you consider Super Mario Land a mainline Mario game which by all accounts it isn't...

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Square Enix: You know what, Nintendo? You guys aren't so bad after all. In fact, we'll give you all these characters you made with us 23 years ago. How does that sound?
Nintendo: Amazing, Square. I'm glad we're back on good terms, and even though you're giving us Geno, Mallow, and all the other SMRPG characters, I hope we get to collaborate and make Super Mario RPG 2 sometime to bring back the SMRPG franchise everyone has been asking for. :)

Do you understand how bad the Mario RPG series has been failing these past few years? It's not just about Geno, but also saving a beloved Mario spin-off series. Do you want to know how much the Superstar Saga remake sold in total sales currently? About 70,000... yeah, not too much, huh? The Bowser's Inside Story remake will sell better because it's a huge fan favorite, but when it came out within the first week in Japan, it only sold about 9,000. Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi RPG series have not been doing good these past few years. Color Splash having at least 160,000+ sales and Paper Jam only having under 1 million. Would you like to know what will bring the Mario RPG series back on track? A Nintendo-Square collaboration, the sequel of Super Mario RPG. Bringing Geno back could try and revive the series, and also get Nintendo to have the balls to ask Square if they want to make a sequel of this amazing series again. When you have Square developing a Mario RPG game, ****'s going to be good. Remember when we all thought it was going to be a casual Mario game saving Peach from Bowser, then a giant sword came out of the sky and crashed into Bowser's Castle? I knew it was going to be good the moment Exor and the seven stars fell from the sky.

Hopefully Nintendo, Intelligent Systems, and AlphaDream don't stop making Mario RPG games, just because they're low on sales. Super Mario RPG, what started it all, deserves a proper sequel after all its love and fan support for almost 23 years.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Geno in Smash would be a big step towards giving him a greater amount of mainstream popularity and possibly seeing him getting into at least another Mario RPG game if anything just to test the waters as to his appeal to modern audiences.
Again, I'm not supportive in that kind of support, as in Nintendo's view, they can promote any other minor character, which might result in the case of plant piranha. I believe that Geno's popularity is significant enough to make him in a new RPG already.

I'm not sure why Daisy is noted. She is known as an echo, and echoes don't have too much thing to do with significance in original series. Secondly Daisy do have appearances in Super Mario games and her role is exactly equivalent to Peach, so she's not considered a spinoff-only, insignificant or one-off character.

The real point should be that Mario mainstream games should provide sufficient chances for all recurring characters to participate. So Waluigi who is known to be the misfortune case of always never getting to a Super Mario game, even the latest NewSuperMario UDX, is very unjust to him. It is the same logic about Geno never returns in a new RPG as well

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
At least there is precedent for Daisy being a main series character, even though she is a one-shot in that department. Geno has to be not a main series character, not a recurring character, and not a franchise main character all at once. Waluigi at least has being a spinoff staple, even though I think that he's also a pure spinoff character should wall him out.
It doesn't matter. That's the point.

You're making a restriction that doesn't even exist. There is no Mario canon to begin with. The spin-offs have nothing to do with some story thing. They're spin-offs because they don't follow the original platforming game. Many only know her from spin-offs. She literally has a single non-spin-off appearance, unless you want to count Super Mario Maker as a main game(which Waluigi appeared in before Daisy could. Even I thought it was silly Daisy wasn't added till way later). Even if you count Super Mario Runners as a main game, one cannot ignore how important Super Mario Maker is in return. They're both platforming variations that follow the same formula, but don't have the same things as the current main titles.

There has never been some silly restriction of "spin-off" at any point. It's one thing if Sakurai ignores games not made by Nintendo when trying to represent Nintendo characters. That has more to do with licensing. But if he cared so much, why was Waluigi an AT in the first place? Because he's a major Mario character. He's appeared in some form since Melee without fail, which is the first time he could have an appearance as is. He's there because he matters.

It's your personal opinion that spin-offs make a difference, but they really don't in reality. It has no real bearing on Waluigi. And it kept Daisy out equally too. She did not get in at any point cause of some silly main game appearance. She got in because she was an easy Echo. That's all she had going for her at that point beyond popularity. It is possible I'm wrong, sure. But you're not giving any reason why we should care about spin-offs getting any kind of content. Also, Geno is a major character in a proper Super Mario story. One of the few games with real story. In fact, he's in the same place as Rosalina; major to a story, but the game doesn't directly revolve around them doing stuff either. Only difference is Rosa has been used more since her appearance... due to being 1st party.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The story in SMRPG revolves around Geno. Yes, he may not be the protagonist of it, but it's his story. It's his purpose to fix the star road and gather the seven stars. Once his purpose is finished, he leaves. The way SMRPG ends is that Geno's purpose is completed and he has to leave.
Yet as if to counterbalance that fact, Geno has remarkably little of an arc compared to Mallow, Peach, and even Bowser. Even though the interactions with the Smithy Gang past Bowyer have every right to be more personal for him than the other characters, they never feel like that.

Depends on what you mean by "Mario canon" as that's sort of all over the place and rather non existent all things considered save for things like the Mushroom Kingdom, Bowser's Castle, Sarasaland sort of but not really, and a few other places. Events are generally kept contained to the game they're from and whatever sequels they have, and are generally rarely referenced between each other, and when they are it's usually in the form of an easter egg.
I mean Mario canon as in the greater Mario franchise. I still don't think he can add anything even taking into account the self-containment of most Mario games, spinoffs or not.

What the **** is Super Mario Land, then?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What the **** is Super Mario Land, then?
A portable spin off? Never considered it a mainline Mario game. Most people forget it even exists.

Edit: Mario Land is much like the Donkey Kong Land games are. Not completely main line but more of a sister series. One that ironically spurred Wario Land. Either way I feel like Super Mario RPG is more important to the overall Mario world than Land ever was considering it spurred the development of Paper Mario AND Mario & Luigi. That's just me though.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
It doesn't matter. That's the point.

You're making a restriction that doesn't even exist. There is no Mario canon to begin with. The spin-offs have nothing to do with some story thing. They're spin-offs because they don't follow the original platforming game. Many only know her from spin-offs. She literally has a single non-spin-off appearance, unless you want to count Super Mario Maker as a main game(which Waluigi appeared in before Daisy could. Even I thought it was silly Daisy wasn't added till way later). Even if you count Super Mario Runners as a main game, one cannot ignore how important Super Mario Maker is in return. They're both platforming variations that follow the same formula, but don't have the same things as the current main titles.

There has never been some silly restriction of "spin-off" at any point. It's one thing if Sakurai ignores games not made by Nintendo when trying to represent Nintendo characters. That has more to do with licensing. But if he cared so much, why was Waluigi an AT in the first place? Because he's a major Mario character. He's appeared in some form since Melee without fail, which is the first time he could have an appearance as is. He's there because he matters.

It's your personal opinion that spin-offs make a difference, but they really don't in reality. It has no real bearing on Waluigi. And it kept Daisy out equally too. She did not get in at any point cause of some silly main game appearance. She got in because she was an easy Echo. That's all she had going for her at that point beyond popularity. It is possible I'm wrong, sure. But you're not giving any reason why we should care about spin-offs getting any kind of content. Also, Geno is a major character in a proper Super Mario story. One of the few games with real story. In fact, he's in the same place as Rosalina; major to a story, but the game doesn't directly revolve around them doing stuff either. Only difference is Rosa has been used more since her appearance... due to being 1st party.
It's not my opinion, it's my observation. I admit that having spinoff characters in Smash would be nice (we would have Waluigi, and yes also Geno), but Smash has been resistant to having those characters for some vague reason. I can only surmise that since Smash is about celebrating Nintendo's history, there has to be some caveats to not having Mario characters be too dominant, and walling out the spinoff characters seems to be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom