• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
>Goku is BRAVE
>Goku has ki attacks and therefore can zone people
>has been depicted as sliding around in the anime
>now this instagram post

heh sorry Sakurai... Looks like I cracked your code :yeahboi:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think from the fact that this guy also had Kirby next to Skull Kid that this doesn't mean as much as people are thinking. It could be a hint but as other people brought up it would be a huge hint to DLC to the point that Nintendo might get pissy if they catch wind of it which knowing how things have been spreading they probably will. I think the biggest tell is if this picture disappears from instagram after awhile. That'd be the biggest sign he hinted at something legit.

I know that the Brave name in the datamine and what leakers have heard from "insiders" does seem to point at Erdrick but certain things found in the data like the character height and him seeming to match up to a zoner make me skeptical. Also the fact that Joker was codenamed Jack yet what people are assuming is Erdrick just had his translated Japanese name used. Not that its beneath Nintendo to do obvious boneheaded things but for a character that's been as shrouded in secrecy as the SE one you'd think they would've gone with a less blatant codename if its actually Erdrick.

Also with how notoriously stingy SE have been with spirits/songs it's still pretty weird to me that they'd so freely let Nintendo use Mallow, Geno, and now allow them to namedrop Megasmilax of all things when it could have easily been left out of PP's Palutena's Guidance.
Not to mention another glaring red flag about said stats is the height. Being shorter than Mario doesn't really match with Erdrick's description either, especially when the characters from their homegame state they're 16 years old. I think that's the biggest issue about the whole thing, because last time I checked, DQ heroes are typically portrayed with more or less human like proportions and not chibified.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
so what I'm gathering is that a HAL employee in Japan runs a blog where they take pictures of Kirby next to various things and they happen to own Dragon Quest merchandise. Someone in Japan liking DQ, shocking.

Come on guys.

I'm gonna follow that blog though.
Really getting sick of these jumping-to-conclusion situations in this speculation cycle. It's almost worse than the chairs.

If this was a Yoshinori Ono case, Kumazaki would have had a role in this game beyond "the guy we credit for including his music and characters as spirits".

I can't believe he just leaked DLC waves 2-15. At least we still get Goku and Hatsune Miku.
I find it funny that even Miku is likelier than Goku, since at least she mostly showed up in video games alongside her music videos sometime after Vocaloid was properly established. Her Fei-Yen incarnation even got to be in a crossover once.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
But that suggests a kind of silly question: If Geno is added, would he be under the Mario series or some special category of his own due to some technicality with Square? Would he have to be from "Super Mario RPG" like how Cloud is from "Final Fantasy VII?"
That is what I noted in #28,804 above. There is a logic hole about Geno's franchise deal: either he needs to represent a Square franchise if he occupies a Square slot, or he is just being a Nintendo Mario character, like his icon shows. If he is simply the latter then this is none of business of Cloud or Erdrick.

I can't imagine speculation dying any time soon even if the SE rep for this Season isn't Geno. I mean for starters, Season 2 is always on the table. They're gonna be milking Ultimate like nothing else if this is all successful. The biggest issue with Geno so far is that he has competition against a supposed Square Enix rep right now. Who's to say that's the case later in Ultimate's life cycle?
They best way to milk that money is making a Geno game, tho.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Imagine not having your hopes dashes because a Japanese guy posted something about DQ on Instagram

This post is brought to you by the Non-Knee-Jerk Reaction Gang.
This, pretty much. If anything, the brave translation just kinda reinforces the whole yuusha thing. My expectations were already hugely tempered by now.

That being said, with the way Ultimate's shaping out to be, I really recommend not losing hope. As I've said many times before, I doubt Geno's in the Fighter's Pass, but there is always misc. DLC! :drshrug:

D

Deleted member

This, pretty much. If anything, the brave translation just kinda reinforces the whole yuusha thing. My expectations were already hugely tempered by now.

That being said, with the way Ultimate's shaping out to be, I really recommend not losing hope. As I've said many times before, I doubt Geno's in the Fighter's Pass, but there is always misc. DLC! :drshrug:
Hey I ain't losin' hope either :D

D

Deleted member

Wait so what happened? Some HAL guy posted a picture???
It's a guy who, if I am correct, doesn't work on making Smash anymore. He posted an image that links the term brave and DQ...and it doesn't have anything to do with Smash.

Plus, the same guy posted images of Kirby with Skull Kid, Mr. Saturn, Goku, and a ****ing Xenomorph

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just a random picture of a Kirby plush with a DQ shield. He's also posted said plush with other characters like Skull Kid and anime figures or items like Mr. Saturn. Some are interpreting this as a direct hint to Erdrick, and these same people think the references to Super Mario RPG from the Piranha Plant are stretching it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Pretty much. Nothing of substance to see apart from the reference to it as the Brave's Shield, which is a little more leverage towards 'brave' being Erdrick. It's a bit overblown.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I do find it curious we got that tweet when we are likely very close to getting a new direct this week or at most next week.

It's maybe not the biggest hint in the history of hints since this dude evidently post pictures with Kirby alot, but I still find the timing a bit fishy and wouldn't entirely sweep it under the rug.

D

Deleted member

I do find it curious we got that tweet when we are likely very close to getting a new direct this week or at most next week.

It's maybe not the biggest hint in the history of hints since this dude evidently post pictures with Kirby alot, but I still find the timing a bit fishy and wouldn't entirely sweep it under the rug.
This doesn't have to do with Smash though, and he posted images of Kirby along with Skull Kid, Mr. Saturn, and Goku and a Xenomorph ffs

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

To be honest, I just want it, give me launch dates, etc. I dont' care if we don't get a new character reveal anymore, I just want the direct

ZelDan

Smash Master
To be honest, I just want it, give me launch dates, etc. I dont' care if we don't get a new character reveal anymore, I just want the direct
Yeah, I'd love for the direct to happen ASAP just to see if there are any nice first party or third party stuff to look forward to on the Switch.

I would like for their to be a character reveal though, so so we have more to work with on the Smash speculation front and hopefully we could be losing or minds to a lesser extent.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Still, I'm hype with Pheonix Wright Trilogy, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing (With rumors pointing to Mid2019), and a lot of RPGs that I want to put my fingers on.
Still, I need the direct, direct to my veins

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
so what I'm gathering is that a HAL employee in Japan runs a blog where they take pictures of Kirby next to various things and they happen to own Dragon Quest merchandise. Someone in Japan liking DQ, shocking.

Come on guys.

I'm gonna follow that blog though.
Pretty much my thoughts. Dragon Quest is so big in Japan that it has a registered holiday on May 27th so having a game developer being a huge fan is not unusual. Why are we rooting against Erdrick anyways? He's not a competitor with Geno. Totally different merits and they wouldn't fight anything alike. If anything they would be considered separately, not side by side. It's not even apples and oranges, it's tennis balls and hockey pucks. They're Square characters and that's basically where the similarities end.

D

Deleted member

Sword with a mustache, basically?
I think that, if Geno were to get his own symbol, he would get "RPG" as his logo, the acronym in the title of Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars.

But I'm sure he would get the Mario icon (if he is DLC), since that is the symbol used for his spirit

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I still think we could get both Geno and Erdrick. Square likes money. For all we know, the conversation went like this:

Sakurai: "Look, we want to bring everyone back, so we want Cloud. We also would like Geno this time too."

Square: "We want Dragon Quest."

Sakurai: "What if we made Cloud base game and Erdrick and Geno as DLC?"

Square: "We love money, sure."

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I still think we could get both Geno and Erdrick. Square likes money. For all we know, the conversation went like this:

Sakurai: "Look, we want to bring everyone back, so we want Cloud. We also would like Geno this time too."

I'm sorry, but all I can imagine is Geno's jaw coming unhinged and money just printing out.

His official voice is that of a Xerox machine at work.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, but all I can imagine is Geno's jaw coming unhinged and money just printing out.

His official voice is that of a Xerox machine at work.
Imagine that Geno wasn't chosen as the SE rep, but instead he makes it into Super Mario Galaxy 3 and money prints out of his jaw and Square regrets their decision

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet

This right here is exactly what I'm thinking and hoping for should Brave turn out to be Erdrick.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I think that, if Geno were to get his own symbol, he would get "RPG" as his logo, the acronym in the title of Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars.

But I'm sure he would get the Mario icon (if he is DLC), since that is the symbol used for his spirit
OP Starfall icon as Geno's Icon
(Exor and 7 stars)

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Pretty much my thoughts. Dragon Quest is so big in Japan that it has a registered holiday on May 27th so having a game developer being a huge fan is not unusual. Why are we rooting against Erdrick anyways? He's not a competitor with Geno. Totally different merits and they wouldn't fight anything alike. If anything they would be considered separately, not side by side. It's not even apples and oranges, it's tennis balls and hockey pucks. They're Square characters and that's basically where the similarities end.
Well personally I'm rooting against Erdrick for moral based reasons. But I do think two Square characters could only happen if there was more than one fighter pass, and the likeliness of that is rocky at best.

D

Deleted member

Well personally I'm rooting against Erdrick for moral based reasons. But I do think two Square characters could only happen if there was more than one fighter pass, and the likeliness of that is rocky at best.
Or if there is separate DLC, rather than a full pass.

Something interesting is that there is a whole section called "Individual DLC" that Piranha Plant is listed under: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/511566665654337551/542014982104154127/image.png

It could just be a section for more Mii costumes, but it could also mean more character(s) coming as separate DLC

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Something interesting to note:
https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/02/04/microsoft-expanding-xbox-live-to-nintendo-switch-and-mobile

Tl;dr Xbox Live is coming to Nintendo Switch and other platforms. This is pretty ****ing huge to put it mildly. Also if I were Nintendo and MS and I wanted to drum up hype for this I would announce the Smash DLC Microsoft rep around when this is officially announced at GDC 2019 which is the end of March. Not saying it’ll absolutely happen then but that’s around when people were already guessing they’d announce a new fighter. The thing is thatd also mean an SE announcement would be coming later and not sooner.

Idk man while having both would be great I’m very skeptical we’ll get more than one SE character just because it’s SE and how weird they’ve been about stuff recently.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've gone into it before but Geno isn't even appropriate as a Square Enix rep and that's a further divide between him and Erdrick. I think we're too fixated on this talking point and why that godawful 5chan leak is seriously considered. I seriously doubt it was on Nintendo's mind to have Bayonetta be a SEGA/Platinum rep or looked at Megaman and were like "here's our Capcom guy", no, I think characters were chosen because they were well liked and wanted. I don't think the developers think in quotas and think "oh, we need more villains or female characters" and add characters solely on things like this. If Erdrick's added, he's being added became Dragon Quest is huge in Japan with everything else being distant subsequent reasons. If Geno's added, it'll likely be for same reasons K. Rool and Ridley were, because a ton of people wanted them.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I've gone into it before but Geno isn't even appropriate as a Square Enix rep and that's a further divide between him and Erdrick. I think we're too fixated on this talking point and why that godawful 5chan leak is seriously considered. I seriously doubt it was on Nintendo's mind to have Bayonetta be a SEGA/Platinum rep or looked at Megaman and were like "here's our Capcom guy", no, I think characters were chosen because they were well liked and wanted. I don't think the developers think in quotas and think "oh, we need more villains or female characters" and add characters solely on things like this. If Erdrick's added, he's being added became Dragon Quest is huge in Japan with everything else being distant subsequent reasons. If Geno's added, it'll likely be for same reasons K. Rool and Ridley were, because a ton of people wanted them.
Yeah, they're just related with something called "Opportunity Cost", that's why some people feel like it's a war where only one can survive and be the fighter, the "Rep".
Geno'd be so easy since Sakurai already had a Moveset for it, remember that he said at one time that he thinks in a moveset before thinking on adding it? And the fact that he wanted Geno back in brawl? (Where I always though it'd fit perfect in the forest with Yoshi and Link).
If they feel they have enough time, if Sakurai still want it.

We just need to wait and see what happens

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Tell that to the FighterZ development team that added Videl over Hercule/Mr. Satan. Seriously, both were heavily requested, but Mr. Satan was requested way more but Videl makes three females in the game now and that was something people were talking about: 'female representation.'

Also, I get that Mr. Satan COULD be one of the other two unrevealed characters, but as all these fellas here who SWEAR that Geno's only chance is to be misc DLC, I would tell you the same thing now that Videl is revealed as part of the pass. Those two more HAVE to be Roshi and Janemba, the two most requested characters for Season 2 Pass, or there WILL be a riot...and if Roshi isn't on there, I will be part of that riot. I NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAX POWER: KAMEHAMEHA!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I really want to believe that Erdrick and Geno COULD get in during the same DLC period, but I've lost that kind of wide eyed optimism that I had during the Grinch Leak. I've not heard an argument yet that could convince me that they could both get in; and that's kind of why it's do or die right now for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom