• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
S- So, uh...

Geno is a star spirit, you know?

If he were in Fortune Street, you think he, like Yoshi, wouldn't have wanted to pay his taxes?

He's from space. He doesn't need space taxes*.

* Spaxes.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of the outcome, I hope this thread stays a reliable place for Geno fans to hang out. I like this thread a lot and hope the same culture can be maintained.

Best case, he's in.
Worst case, we can all coalesce around modding Geno in or future DLC or whatnot.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
S- So, uh...

Geno is a star spirit, you know?

If he were in Fortune Street, you think he, like Yoshi, wouldn't have wanted to pay his taxes?

He's from space. He doesn't need space taxes*.

* Spaxes.
In an internet environment where memes usually die within a week, the fact that Yoshi's tax fraud is still around baffles me. Not mad though. I am actually pretty impressed.

D

Deleted member

Regardless of the outcome, I hope this thread stays a reliable place for Geno fans to hang out. I like this thread a lot and hope the same culture can be maintained.

Best case, he's in.
Worst case, we can all coalesce around modding Geno in or future DLC or whatnot.
I can't imagine speculation dying any time soon even if the SE rep for this Season isn't Geno. I mean for starters, Season 2 is always on the table. They're gonna be milking Ultimate like nothing else if this is all successful. The biggest issue with Geno so far is that he has competition against a supposed Square Enix rep right now. Who's to say that's the case later in Ultimate's life cycle?
In an internet environment where memes usually die within a week, the fact that Yoshi's tax fraud is still around baffles me. Not mad though. I am actually pretty impressed.
It's because it turned Yoshi from a cute dinosaur to relatable character.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I may stick around. I dunno. The fun comes from speculating and when all you can do after another SE character gets revealed is "here are the signs he is totally in next game". It just kinda feels depressing. Considering how we have been playing the same cat and mouse game since melee.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Instagram post is weird. No matter what the truth is, it just baffles me how after a major leak like the datamined Brave data, any Nintendo-related employee thought it was a good idea to post a Brave related thing on social media.

Either the leak is fake, it’s all a deliberate misdirection by Nintendo, this dude just willingly breached company secrecy or he’s a blathering idiot and is gonna get a stern talking to.

We've known that brave has a connection to Erdrick for a while now. But guess what? Brave is not an exclusive term to Dragon Quest.

All this has confirmed is that brave is connected to DQ. It by no means confirms that Erdrick is DLC for Ultimate.
Actually, you got it backwards. We’ve known for a while that Brave is a term tied to DQ heroes. Now we’ve seen it specifically tied to Erdrick.

D

Deleted member

The Instagram post is weird. No matter what the truth is, it just baffles me how after a major leak like the datamined Brave data, any Nintendo-related employee thought it was a good idea to post a Brave related thing on social media.

Either the leak is fake, it’s all a deliberate misdirection by Nintendo, this dude just willingly breached company secrecy or he’s a blathering idiot and is gonna get a stern talking to.

Actually, you got it backwards. We’ve known for a while that Brave is a term tied to DQ heroes. Now we’ve seen it specifically tied to Erdrick.
Okay, but the point still stands that it doesn't confirm Erdrick

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Okay, but the point still stands that it doesn't confirm Erdrick
It doesn’t, but it is the first official Nintendo source directly linking the word Brave with the character Erdrick since the datamine.

It’s something significant, but as for what it means, well people are free to guess.

D

Deleted member

It doesn’t, but it is the first official Nintendo source directly linking the word Brave with the character Erdrick since the datamine.

It’s something significant, but as for what it means, well people are free to guess.
It's not Smash related though, and that's just what it is, linking the words, not hinting at an inclusion in Smash.

Plus, the same guy posted a pic of Skull Kid with Kirby: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnRYNU3lCRJ/

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Pretty sure this would also be NDA breaking. If you are working on a game and heavily "hint" at a character going to appear in that game or it's something that people would infer will mean that character will appear. Pretty sure that is NDA breaking.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Here's the thing, you said Shinya Kumazaki didn't even work on Smash, which I then proved he did. Then you said he worked on Smash's original release and not Ultimate, which we then found to be incorrect as well. Now you're saying he and HAL are being credited for the original game (which I would think they would accredit the original original game supervisor of Smash 64 and not someone else) or that he only worked on Ultimate for a short period and has not overseen the whole project through in its entirety (which is something I agree on).

The point is this man isn't unfamiliar or alien to Smash Ultimate and its development. It is certain that he has had influence over the game in some capacity.

But that does not mean that the post he made solidifies Brave's identity, nor Erdrick's inclusion to the game. It merely means that it isn't unreasonable and in fact, is rather understandable as to why people would take this as a hint for Brave's identity. Yes it is coincidental. Yes it could very much be nothing. But if we are to dismiss things such as this because it's in favor of something else and not what we want, then we may as well not even bother with any sort of discussion about leaks, hints, or any potentiality of anything outside of official 100% without a shadow of a doubt straight from the horses mouth clear as crystal information.

Now I don't think I'm wrong in saying this, but this is both a support thread, and a speculation thread. So please understand that people speculating about something like this isn't wholly unfounded interest. There are methods to this madness.
I don't mind speculation; it's just when it seems to get extreme, pointing to someone who doesn't work on a game as evidence, or at least an employee who would be under NDA and very likely wouldn't want to risk losing his job. Sakurai's hints, if they actually are hints, are very vague instead of straight-up saying what people expect. It feels like a buncha complicated theories - which tbh I don't really mind, as long as the basis for them is apparent. I can understand this one as well tbh, but its basis seems to be misinformation.

I see no proof he did work on Ultimate, since the same wording "original" was used to credit HAL, even though they didn't work on Ultimate. So if my understanding about the credits is wrong, then they're confusing all-together.

I did, at first, say he had nothing to do with Smash, as I wasn't aware he worked on it before, but I see nothing pointing towards him working on this entry.

Tbh, though, I'm not even sure anymore; I just found more Ultimate "Original Game Supervisors" from other companies like SEGA, Konami, and Capcom, which just makes me think they supervised characters...

this is hard to understand.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Anyone got any cool subtle geno artwork for wallpapers? One that shows I am a fan but not outright showing it right away?

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
I'm certain that Kumazaki is smart enough not to break a NDA, and I'm also certain that not all NDAs are the same just as how not all work contracts are the same.

It's possible that he posted that to keep the DLC roster hype train going and interest high, and after the data leak for Jack and Brave, I wouldn't be surprised if this was entirely intentional and he was given a go ahead/suggestion to post this while the topic of "Who is Brave?" is still fresh in everyone's minds.

But I'm repeating myself.

I don't mind speculation; it's just when it seems to get extreme, pointing to someone who doesn't work on a game as evidence, or at least an employee who would be under NDA and very likely wouldn't want to risk losing his job. Sakurai's hints, if they actually are hints, are very vague instead of straight-up saying what people expect. It feels like a buncha complicated theories - which tbh I don't really mind, as long as the basis for them is apparent. I can understand this one as well tbh, but its basis seems to be misinformation.

I see no proof he did work on Ultimate, since the same wording "original" was used to credit HAL, even though they didn't work on Ultimate. So if my understanding about the credits is wrong, then they're confusing all-together.

I did, at first, say he had nothing to do with Smash, as I wasn't aware he worked on it before, but I see nothing pointing towards him working on this entry.

Tbh, though, I'm not even sure anymore; I just found more Ultimate "Original Game Supervisors" from other companies like SEGA, Konami, and Capcom, which just makes me think they supervised characters...

this is hard to understand.
But he has worked in the game. Exactly in what capacity I don't know, but he has worked on it. He isn't just some random guy who's friends with someone's dad who works at Nintendo, he is someone who has had a foot in the door of Smash Bros, and is in a pretty high position of importance for games as a whole.

What's pointing to him working on this entry is literally "original Game Supervisor". Again, what that exactly means I'm not sure, it could be he was one of the first supervisors, or he supervised a specific portion related only to HAL, or some other third thing, but he being who he is, what his job is, and that he's credited for Smash Ultimate as a supervisor sounds pretty darn convincing that he has, indeed, worked on the game in some way.

Sakurai doesn't do everything by himself you know.

Last edited:

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure this would also be NDA breaking. If you are working on a game and heavily "hint" at a character going to appear in that game or it's something that people would infer will mean that character will appear. Pretty sure that is NDA breaking.
If it is an orchestrated PR move, then it would be just considered marketing.

It's not Smash related though, and that's just what it is, linking the words, not hinting at an inclusion in Smash.

Plus, the same guy posted a pic of Skull Kid with Kirby: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnRYNU3lCRJ/
Now this is where things get interesting. I think this is actually a really good point. He's from HAL, so he included Kirby. Now he's doing the same with DQ. It could be just in celebration of DQXI rather than Smash.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If it was indeed marketing. Might as well just announce the character now. Just get it over with since we already know. The surprise is gone.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
The credit was taken from within Ultimate, maybe that's why?

This reminds me of when HAL was credited with the word "Original" attached in the March trailer, and people thought HAL was working on this game.

If he was working on Ultimate, he'd receive more credits for whatever he did, or "original" wouldn't be there. Even if he did work on Ultimate, it would have been sometime in 2016/2017 before he quit (based on the March trailer credit), and so he wouldn't be dropping hints anyway.
I actually miss HAL Laboratory just a bit. They and Sakurai really made Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl pretty nostalgic and creative. Maybe I miss them because I liked it when HAL Laboratory's logo showed up in the beginning/opening; I always loved their logo when I was a kid, especially seeing it come up during the Melee opening. When I was a kid, I thought that meant the game supported dogs and their awareness, but holy **** I was off by a mile. I miss seeing their logo with the dog in a bird nest lying with eggs... probably the most heartwarming, cutest, and most creative logo I've ever seen.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sakurai doesn't do everything by himself you know.
Of course not, but unless there's proof he worked with DQ stuff and would drop an obvious hint, I'm not gonna treat the post as anything more than a person posting stuff he likes.

I already believe Erdrick is most-likely Brave, anyway. That's not why I'm debating. It's 'cause it feels like all the other times people called something a hint and continued to insist it was, even though it wasn't.

I speculate, too, sometimes even with what may be dumb theories - heck, I even considered Chair Theory because of what seemed like a K. Rool hint, plus Skull Kid is my favorite Zelda character (so maybe some bias) - it's just...I don't know, maybe I feel like people treat every employee as someone who knows everything about what's going on (even if it may be outside exactly what their job is) and will happily drop hints and risk their job, instead of treating them as normal people who likely do things just because...

Maybe, I still just have this sense of annoyance because I wasn't aware he worked with Smash at first, since I only saw info about HAL before I looked for more...maybe, it's because things never seem to be simple, like simple theories instead of what seems to be conspiracies...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I agree that the content of the picture doesn’t matter, and it’s not at all Smash related.

But now we have an official link between a term and a character, whereas before we just had speculation. It reinforces existing theories for Erdrick.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I mean. I don't think there was ever an argument that Brave is what they call Erdrick. You can't argue against the source Material. It was More that Brave is a common term in video game media and that it can be applied to anyone. For all we know Sakurai really liked Brave the movie and wanted to use the term for a Bear character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The biggest issue with Geno so far is that he has competition against a supposed Square Enix rep right now.
*sigh*

Y’all are forgetting one thing about geno

HES A MARIO CHARACTER!

Erdrick isn’t a mario character so idk why your saying “genos dead!”

Let’s compare shantae and SK two indie characters shantae is from wayforward SK is from ycg two different series it doesn’t affect either ones chances if SK gets in before her.

Now geno from super mario and erdrick from dq same thing nothing wrong for their chances.

CALM DOWN!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yes, and he's a Square character. Being a Mario character doesn't negate that. He is a third party. He's going to be far harder to get and will have competition as a result. He's not like a first party Mario character where he can just be added willy-nilly. It doesn't work like that.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
But that suggests a kind of silly question: If Geno is added, would he be under the Mario series or some special category of his own due to some technicality with Square? Would he have to be from "Super Mario RPG" like how Cloud is from "Final Fantasy VII?"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But that suggests a kind of silly question: If Geno is added, would he be under the Mario series or some special category of his own due to some technicality with Square? Would he have to be from "Super Mario RPG" like how Cloud is from "Final Fantasy VII?"
Not the same thing in itself. Geno himself is a Mario character. They still need to find the easiest way to license it, and putting everything FF-related under the FFVII umbrella makes sense. I mean, yeah, he could be put in his own category, but unlike Cloud, he can still be put in a simplistic category that exists. Not much reason to give him a different symbol either, after all.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
I've been wondering that myself. Because it's DLC (and a Square owned character) I'd wager they would probably specify him being from SMRPG and not Mario as a whole.

But then that raises the questions of "what would his symbol look like" and "why bother making a special symbol for what is essentially also a Mario character?".

If he does get in it'll most likely just be the Mario symbol unless Square gets real ornery about it and wants something special.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
But that suggests a kind of silly question: If Geno is added, would he be under the Mario series or some special category of his own due to some technicality with Square?
His icon for his spirit battle is the normal Super Mario Bros. series icon, IIRC.

It's really dumb that Nintendo doesn't own him.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Geno would be listed as a Mario series character, which means he'd have the mushroom emblem. I know this because the Geno Mii costume had the mushroom emblem, unless Sakurai didn't bother getting the rights to his own emblem. Other than that, he should be listed with the Mario clan. That'd be weird if he was part of his own series, especially since the Mario RPG soundtracks are listed in the Mario series music tracks, and that means they won't be able to be heard on Geno's stage. Sure, when it showed his Mii costume in the Smash 4 presentation, Smash 4 crossed with the SMRPG logo, but I think he'd still be listed as just a Mario series character.

And if he was part of his own series, what would his emblem even be?

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I don't think it will ever not be funny to me that Nintendo has to pay to use a character in their own franchise. And that they won't bother to outright buy the character or SE refuses to sell a character they don't care about or have any use for.

Last edited:

dalolman

Smash Cadet
Neither do I, especially since Corrin was Nintendo's move. Nintendo is probably going to choose big gaming icons for the 1st DLC wave. Master Chief, Joker, Banjo, Crash Bandicoot, etc. make sense, but there is a chance we might get a FE character. Most companies seem to do that, or just choose completely random, favorite out-of-the-blue character picks. Sakurai likes to keep his picks a mix between big icons and fan favorites, which is what I like about his choices. In a way, Geno is a gaming icon, coming from the final era from the SNES and starred in the first collaboration between two legendary companies, Nintendo and SquareSoft, also becoming one of the best games and favorite RPG games to date, but I mostly don't see him being chosen by Nintendo, unless something is going down like a SMRPG remake or sequel... hopefully it's one of these.

Having Directs on Fridays would be the best thing ever. I get Subway like every Friday, so coming home from work one day just to watch the Direct and eating my sandwich would be nice. It's weird how they make Direct schedules while most people are still at work, school, or sleeping, but I believe it's because most of the time they're focused on Japan's time.
I thought Corrin was begged in by Sakurai's team??

Yoshi avoiding paying taxes was funny once.
Once.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Imagine not having your hopes dashes because a Japanese guy posted something about DQ on Instagram

This post is brought to you by the Non-Knee-Jerk Reaction Gang.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think from the fact that this guy also had Kirby next to Majora’s Mask/Skull Kid that this doesn't mean as much as people are thinking. It could be a hint but as other people brought up it would be a huge hint to DLC to the point that Nintendo might get pissy if they catch wind of it which knowing how things have been spreading they probably will. I think the biggest tell is if this picture disappears from instagram after awhile. That'd be the biggest sign he hinted at something legit.

I know that the Brave name in the datamine and what leakers have heard from "insiders" does seem to point at Erdrick but certain things found in the data like the character height and him seeming to match up to a zoner make me skeptical. Also the fact that Joker was codenamed Jack yet what people are assuming is Erdrick just had his translated Japanese name used. Not that its beneath Nintendo to do obvious boneheaded things but for a character that's been as shrouded in secrecy as the SE one you'd think they would've gone with a less blatant codename if its actually Erdrick.

Also with how notoriously stingy SE have been with spirits/songs it's still pretty weird to me that they'd so freely let Nintendo use Mallow, Geno, and now allow them to namedrop Megasmilax of all things when it could have easily been left out of PP's Palutena's Guidance.

Last edited:

IronAidan07

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5749-4640-8009
With the Instagram post hinting at Erdrick, I still have my fingers crossed for Geno.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Woah guys........Finally....................... He's in................................................
1549269728701.jpg

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
so what I'm gathering is that a HAL employee in Japan runs a blog where they take pictures of Kirby next to various things and they happen to own Dragon Quest merchandise. Someone in Japan liking DQ, shocking.

Come on guys.

I'm gonna follow that blog though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom