• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
yes I'm really not getting how this is a Smash hint, especially since this guy doesn't even work on Smash and saying he's hinting at Smash intentionally is either saying Sakurai knows about the dataminers and told a friend to help him spoil the DLC, or saying Nintendo is playing 4D chess with us; I've seen people say certain things from Sakurai were hints, and they ended up being coincidences. The only "hints" Sakurai gives us, if they actually are hints, are always confirmed literally the next day or within the same video (unless that one Direct background actually was a K. Rool hint *shrug*).

Brave and Jack were left in the code because Nintendo messes up sometimes, not thinking about the people who dig through the code for new stuff because they can't be patient. They did the same thing with Roy and Ryu in Smash 4.

The SMRPG stuff may sadly be coincidences as well, as Nintendo is probably just acknowledging it instead of secretly having plans to make a new SMRPG game with Square or making Geno and Mallow playable characters in Smash...

Why can't this just be a person posting something he likes as people normally do? How is it even a Smash hint? He's Japanese, it's very likely he thought of the equivalent of "hero" but his translation-thing or whatever he did just made it "brave" because of how similar the words are in Japanese.
I will say that the SMRPG stuff is slightly weirder due to in sort of being in it's own niche and not main stream popular necessarily. The uptick in references could be nothing, but it's also strange.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Erdrick is getting in. Maybe Geno for Fighter Pass 2. If that becomes a thing.
Slow down, there.

You remember how people acted like Shadow was a lock for the base roster? Don't jump the gun here. Sure, it's fine to think that Erdrick is likely, but acting like he is confirmed before he is revealed is not a smart move.

Same thing goes for acting like Geno is out before it's confirmed that he is out (if he is). Ridley, K Rool, and Joker. Three characters people did not at all think would happen and jinxed it by saying that they would never happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Slow down, there.

You remember how people acted like Shadow was a lock for the base roster? Don't jump the gun here. Sure, it's fine to think that Erdrick is likely, but acting like he is confirmed before he is revealed is not a smart move.
Eh. People can be confident in their guesses. I thought Ridley was a sure-in for Ultimate. Wasn't disappointed.

D

Deleted member

Eh. People can be confident in their guesses. I thought Ridley was a sure-in for Ultimate. Wasn't disappointed.
Sure, people can think that Eddy is happening, but treating it as fact is a big mistake. Again, people thought Shadow was a lock for Ultimate. Yes, you thought Ridley was happening in Ultimate, but many people acted like Ridley and K Rool never getting in was definite.

My point here is to not treat things as fact after everything that has happened in Ultimate. In the end, we just don't know until confirmed by Sakurai/Nintendo.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
It's worth noting that Shinya Kumazaki is/was a game supervisor for Ultimate. Whether or not this means he only supervised things related to Kirby, or was a supervisor for the game as a whole I do not know.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The sky is blue, yes. Hell we don't even know now that Brave is Brave anymore because the codename was patched out of the game.
I share the sentiment. I wish the blooming Direct would come already so that everything can be clarified and that we can stop linking coincidences to what's being speculated. For all we know, the second character is somebody that no one ever thought would have any relation to anything.

It's worth noting that Shinya Kumazaki is/was a game supervisor for Ultimate. Whether or not this means he only supervised things related to Kirby, or was a supervisor for the game as a whole I do not know.
In before he handled the staffers behind the Kirby spirit selection and didn't check up on the person who was supposed to pick the art-based ones.

But yeah, I find it likely that he would only have overseen the Kirby stuff. Guy's a fan.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I share the sentiment. I wish the blooming Direct would come already so that everything can be clarified and that we can stop linking coincidences to what's being speculated. For all we know, the second character is somebody that no one ever thought would have any relation to anything.
For all we know, the next character might not even be in the next direct. DX

D

Deleted member

If I am correct, he was the supervisor, not is.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Any source for this?

He's only credited as the supervisor for the first Smash game.

I still don't see why we have to go into extreme-speculation and treat this as 4D chess.

Last edited:

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Any source for this?

I still don't see why we have to go into extreme-speculation and treat this as 4D chess.
A quick google search would remedy this, but here https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Shinya_Kumazaki and here https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6472269/ say he is/was a game supervisor for Smash Ultimate.

Though if I may change the subject for a hot take, why is it you think Geno has a shot at being in the game? Besides Sakurai saying that he thinks Geno is a good fit and that he tried to get him in the game more than once. If we're ignoring any and all information that isn't directly from a person of importance who has direct influence over Smash Ultimate, I'd say Geno doesn't have a chance in the slightest based on what I know.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
...Well this board is extremely depressing.

No one's a lock until they're revealed. Honestly that insta post could be an intentional misdirect for all we know.

Don't jinx it!

Or wait, maybe you can, at least The Anigriffin The Anigriffin won't need to get so excited that she gets surgery a second time, if it's on the 11th.
Well, if it airs a few days later I think I'll be cool heh...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
A quick google search would remedy this, but here https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Shinya_Kumazaki and here https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6472269/ say he is/was a game supervisor for Smash Ultimate.

Though if I may change the subject for a hot take, why is it you think Geno has a shot at being in the game? Besides Sakurai saying that he thinks Geno is a good fit and that he tried to get him in the game more than once. If we're ignoring any and all information that isn't directly from a person of importance who has direct influence over Smash Ultimate, I'd say Geno doesn't have a chance in the slightest based on what I know.
Those still say "Original Game Supervisor" and mention Hal Laboratory; those are credits to him since he was the supervisor for Smash's original release. He has not actually worked on Ultimate, otherwise he would be credited for more.

As for Geno's chances...ignoring Sakurai and Nintendo...I'll be honest and say I wouldn't think he has a shot without their acknowledgement.

Can someone tell me, with a logical responce, how this doesnt' confirm that Erdrick is Brave at a 99.99999%
Because it's the same info we already knew, that "hero" in Japanese can translate to "brave" in English.

Kumizaki doesn't work on Smash. This isn't 4D chess.

Erdrick is already 99% likely, as much as I'd like Geno, B-K, or Ninten, but that instagram post isn't why.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the very acknowledgement of Super Mario RPG is enough to say Geno has a shot. As much as I don't think Geno is getting in, the fact that Super Mario RPG is in the game is evidence that it is on the developer team's minds. Does that mean I expect him to be in this wave? Not over another SE character, no. Give it the announcement of a second wave of DLC, though, and you can bet he's a better contender than he is now.
Can someone tell me, with a logical responce, how this doesnt' confirm that Erdrick is Brave at a 99.99999%
I'll just quote your friendly Incineroar man, Ryuko.
Considering DQIII is the most popular DQ in Japan and a lot of developers grew up with the game, I would think its more of the guy being a fan rather than something in Smash. Especially since Sakurai isn't a Hal employee anymore.
The affiliation to the HAL guy and Smash Bros is sketchy at best. It's not 99.999999. It's like... 11% now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Any source for this?

Okay, but Kumazaki wasn't even in HAL at all until 2001 at the earliest, and even then it was on preparing for Kirby stuff. How do you know this?

He posted DQ stuff on Instagram before on December, last year. Occam's Razor at its finest; either a hint that infringes on violating anti-leak efforts, or simply just honest display of fan dedication.

Heck, there's a reason why Sakurai had stopped tweeting about games he likes for a time, seeing as fans wouldn't stop assuming that meant so and so was confirmed.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Okay, but Kumazaki wasn't even in HAL at all until 2001 at the earliest, and even then it was on preparing for Kirby stuff. How do you know this?
Because the credits I can find are all "Original Game Supervisor" and sometimes they even mention HAL; if he wasn't in HAL, then I dunno, but it seems to be for the first Smash game, since they would want to credit the guys who were behind the original game.

I said logical response.
Isn't he the HAL Lab President or something?
HAL hasn't worked on Smash since Melee.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
To play devil's advocate; there's nothing particularly smash related in that post from what I see. Plus if we're taking the DQ fan's at their word; people over in Japan absolutely LOVE Dragon Quest. It would be about as innocuous as Sakurai tweeting about Mario or somthing. Regardless of if they are in Smash or not; it's just natural that they bring it up from time to time. Now if it was somthing like, say, Undertale that would be a bit suspicious.
Damn it, Squidward, you had one job to play all of Sweet Victory at the Super Bowl!

What the hell were you doing out there?! Don't let Maroon 5 hog the halftime, YOU were supposed to steal and make the halftime actually interesting!

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Those still say "Original Game Supervisor" and mention Hal Laboratory; those are credits to him since he was the supervisor for Smash's original release. He has not actually worked on Ultimate, otherwise he would be credited for more.
But it blatantly says Ultimate and makes no mention of the original Smash Bros.

If he being the supervisor for Smash's original, N64 release, wouldn't it state such?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
...Well this board is extremely depressing.

No one's a lock until they're revealed. Honestly that insta post could be an intentional misdirect for all we know.

Well, if it airs a few days later I think I'll be cool heh...
This is why I prefer to hang out in threads that are actually happy with who is in/may be coming.

Not sure about intentional though, Kuma to me seems like someone that wouldn't realise he's messing with people. We ain't talking about Yoshinori Ono here.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
But it blatantly says Ultimate and makes no mention of the original Smash Bros.

If he being the supervisor for Smash's original, N64 release, wouldn't it state such?
The credit was taken from within Ultimate, maybe that's why?

This reminds me of when HAL was credited with the word "Original" attached in the March trailer, and people thought HAL was working on this game.

If he was working on Ultimate, he'd receive more credits for whatever he did, or "original" wouldn't be there. Even if he did work on Ultimate, it would have been sometime in 2016/2017 before he quit (based on the March trailer credit), and so he wouldn't be dropping hints anyway.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Hmm... dunno why y'all are getting into depressive spirals about an Instagram post as if you didn't already at "brave"'s initial reveal. This isn't really anything new; at best, it buffs Erdrick's speculative chances slightly. If anything, we should've been tempering our expectations ever since the "brave" datamines got out.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
The credit was taken from Ultimate, maybe that's why?

This reminds me of when HAL was credited with the word "Original" attached in the March trailer, and people thought HAL was working on this game.

If he was working on Ultimate, he'd receive more credits for whatever he did, or "original" wouldn't be there.
But if his job was that of a supervisor, wouldn't he be credited as a supervisor, which he is?

I'm not sure what sort of answer you're looking for besides "Shinya Kumazaki actually didn't work on Smash Ultimate despite being credited for it" which makes no sense.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
But if his job was that of a supervisor, wouldn't he be credited as a supervisor, which he is?

I'm not sure what sort of answer you're looking for besides "Shinya Kumazaki actually didn't work on Smash Ultimate despite being credited for in it" which makes no sense.
It says "Original Game Supervisor," not simply "Game Supervisor."

So either they're crediting him and HAL for the original game like they credited HAL for it in the March trailer, or he worked on Ultimate sometime in 2016/2017, and so either way he wouldn't be dropping hints all of a sudden. This is still nothing new and I don't know why y'all are acting doom and gloom over "new" info that we actually had this whole time.

Last edited:

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
It says "Original Game Supervisor," not simply "Game Supervisor."

So either they're crediting him and HAL for the original game like they credited HAL for it in the March trailer, or he worked on Ultimate sometime in 2016/2017, and so either way he wouldn't be dropping hints all of a sudden. This is still nothing new and I don't know why y'all are acting doom and gloom over "new" info that we actually had this whole time.
Here's the thing, you said Shinya Kumazaki didn't even work on Smash, which I then proved he did. Then you said he worked on Smash's original release and not Ultimate, which we then found to be incorrect as well. Now you're saying he and HAL are being credited for the original game (which I would think they would accredit the original original game supervisor of Smash 64 and not someone else) or that he only worked on Ultimate for a short period and has not overseen the whole project through in its entirety (which is something I agree on).

The point is this man isn't unfamiliar or alien to Smash Ultimate and its development. It is certain that he has had influence over the game in some capacity.

But that does not mean that the post he made solidifies Brave's identity, nor Erdrick's inclusion to the game. It merely means that it isn't unreasonable and in fact, is rather understandable as to why people would take this as a hint for Brave's identity. Yes it is coincidental. Yes it could very much be nothing. But if we are to dismiss things such as this because it's in favor of something else and not what we want, then we may as well not even bother with any sort of discussion about leaks, hints, or any potentiality of anything outside of official 100% without a shadow of a doubt straight from the horses mouth clear as crystal information.

Now I don't think I'm wrong in saying this, but this is both a support thread, and a speculation thread. So please understand that people speculating about something like this isn't wholly unfounded interest. There are methods to this madness.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm still under the impression that Sora is a serious contender for Brave; and the Squeenix Rep in general.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Imagine going from a high like Joker to Dragon Quest. Even if I wasn't rooting for Geno I would think 'why?' I'm almost positive a majority of the people in the West would just ask why it wasn't Sora.

Last edited:

Eric2625

Smash Cadet
The same person also posted a picture of kirby with skull kid.I wouldn't get my hopes off this of erdrick for just this reason,i do still think he's likely but not because of this

D

Deleted member

Imagine going from a high like Joker to Dragon Quest. Even if I wasn't rooting for Geno I would think 'why?'
I can certainly imagine my high to be higher from Dragon Quest. Bring me the monsters and the monster slayers, boyees.

^Screenshot of my reaction if Erdrick gets in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom