• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Maybe it's just Persona, you know, Moveset reveal along with a lot of mii costumes of Persona Characters and with some free Spirits, a limited time offer, etc.

D

Deleted member

I'm always careful with this sort of thing, even though he did note that this particular does troll him from time to time.
Really? Huh...

I'll be taking things that particular says with a grain of salt, then

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
He said what it was.
So, he actually claims he saw something visually, or heard faint bits about series ol representation, but not in the form of a character. Am I recalling this right?
I'd preffer not to know, that'd be so obvious, I don't see Fatmanonice being eagerly excited so it's not SMRPG :L
Like he'd let that show. I'm certain it's not SMRPG simply because a franchise was mentioned. And SMRPG is by no means, regarded as a franchise officially.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
So, he actually claims he saw something visually, or heard faint bits about series ol representation, but not in the form of a character. Am I recalling this right?

Like he'd let that show. I'm certain it's not SMRPG simply because a franchise was mentioned. And SMRPG is by no means, regarded as a franchise officially.
It could be FF, Pokemon, DQ, KH, Ace Attourney for instance.

It's even scarier when you think that, it probably going to happen... Next Week

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Yeah, if anything, it'd be the Mario series. Of course, by proxy, SMRPG would be under that umbrella, and given two possible inclusions are fan favorites (Geno and Waluigi), I could see whatever happens there stoking the flames of bitterness, depending on what direction they go.

Honestly, though, my money is on DQ.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah, if anything, it'd be the Mario series. Of course, by proxy, SMRPG would be under that umbrella, and given two possible inclusions are fan favorites (Geno and Waluigi), I could see whatever happens there stoking the flames of bitterness, depending on what direction they go.

I mean that’s the first thing I figured too but would it really be a troll move to mention it if most people are expecting it?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mean that’s the first thing I figured too but would it really be a troll move to mention it if most people are expecting it?
Honestly, it could be. I don't see why it wouldn't be coming in some form, but I could see people being let down if we got only Mii outfits for DQ characters without an actual rep, namely after all of the rumors have been flying around. It seems unlikely that this is the direction they'd go, though, so DQ having a rep and Mii costumes sounds safe.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The implication is that they would do a segment like they did with Castlevania in the August Smash Direct but, again, it's odd that they didn't mention a particular character if they supposedly know this much about it.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Honestly, it could be. I don't see why it wouldn't be coming in some form, but I could see people being let down if we got only Mii outfits for DQ characters without an actual rep, namely after all of the rumors have been flying around. It seems unlikely that this is the direction they'd go, though, so DQ having a rep and Mii costumes sounds safe.
Girl, I was saying the same some posts ago, Do you even imagine the sandstorm against Leakers if the direct shows up Erdrick (M/F), Luminary and a Hat Slime as Mii Costumes?

I doubt it but AHHHHHHHHH THE FLASHBACKS

Edit: I had to edit this cuz I always start with "boi" even tho I know Ovaltine is a girl, sorry

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

It's not a good idea to say DQ is a certainty at this point. The stats and descriptions regarding said DQ rep have been fairly contradictory in nature..

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's not a good idea to say DQ is a certainty at this point. The stats and descriptions regarding said DQ rep have been fairly contradictory in nature..
That is true, but I'm putting it in my mind that it is because that'd be my least wanted outcome, haha. I personally want to stow my expectations and expect disappointment.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Kidrick, Dragon Quest Builder, nono,
That is true, but I'm putting it in my mind that it is because that'd be my least wanted outcome, haha. I personally want to stow my expectations and expect disappointment.
Can I join you? Worst part is.. We know that in the end we still gonna expect it, we still gonna wait for it, we still gonna want it, just to have a reminder of no, that not going to happen now.
We lies to ourselves in order to protect our own integrity, we try to be cold and lower our own expectations, but we can't control the kid that has be living inside of us for a decade, we still want it.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The implication is that they would do a segment like they did with Castlevania in the August Smash Direct but, again, it's odd that they didn't mention a particular character if they supposedly know this much about it.
Did they say with certainty whether or not there was a character, or was it more a case of then mentioning stuff like stages, music, spirits, and mii costumes? Essentially everything but a playable character??????

MattX20

Smash Hero
Kidrick, Dragon Quest Builder, nono,
Kid Erdrick doesn't exist. The character is specifically stated to be 16 in Dragon Quest 3. And DQ characters largely aren't portrayed as chibis, and it's even less likely to be someone from Dragon Quest Builder since that's a spinoff from the main series.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I bet it's Minecraft if there's no character, assuming they want a different MS character (even though Steve could very well work dang it).

this direct is gonna hurt me if Steve or a Creeper aren't playable, unless we get Banjo-Kazooie at least.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I bet it's Minecraft if there's no character, assuming they want a different MS character (even though Steve could very well work dang it).

this direct is gonna hurt me if Steve or a Creeper aren't playable, unless we get Banjo-Kazooie at least.
You know, it being Minecraft makes a bit of sense considering all that we know.

D

Deleted member

My immediate assumption then is Dragon Quest.

1) Lots of content to go over, especially because it's a big new series to Smash Bros. If the series is getting the Castlevania treatment, DQ is my immediate go-to out of the SE list.
2) The vague character. DQ is the only SE series to have three possible candidates according to the list. I'm assuming they couldn't say it because they didn't know who the character was, but they saw the designs and aesthetic of the series. If you knew the series, you would know the character immediately unless you honestly could not figure it out. That would apply to DQ

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero
My immediate assumption then is Dragon Quest.

1) Lots of content to go over, especially because it's a new series to Smash Bros. If the series is getting the Castlevania treatment, DQ is my immediate go-to out of the SE list.
2) The vague character. DQ is the only SE series to have three possible candidates according to the list. I'm assuming they couldn't say it because they didn't know who the character was, but they saw the designs.
Again, that's a rather big assumption to make. As fatman has stated, it's weird that they didn't mention a particular character if they supposedly know this much about it. To me, it may very well be a troll post as he stated it very well could be.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
- 24x7 Hours Remaining -
Again, that's a rather big assumption to make. As fatman has stated, it's weird that they didn't mention a particular character if they supposedly know this much about it. To me, it may very well be a troll post as he stated it very well could be.
Well, We are not determining the veracity of the matter, just speculating with the info that Fatman has given to us.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nah. It's not that big of an assumption. Big assumptions have big consequences. This is whatever.

This very well could be a troll post. Assuming this is real though, it's just another thing I can imagine. I already think it's Erdrick so I'll just pile everything I can at this point. If they don't know the character, it is strange to think that they don't know the character when they know so much else, but I think the leaker source issue has to do with simply not understanding Dragon Quest rather than just not knowing. If we know anything about all of this Erdrick talk, you know that's a possibility.

MattX20

Smash Hero
- 24x7 Hours Remaining -

Well, We are not determining the veracity of the matter, just speculating with the info that Fatman has given to us.
True, but we shouldn't immediately assume it's the worst possible outcome either. Unless we get a little more info that can clarify on this before the Direct itself happens, we must not believe it to be true. That's what happened with the Grinch leak, and I cannot take text leaks as fact until proven undeniably true by Nintendo and Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

True, but we shouldn't immediately assume it's the worst possible outcome either. Unless we get a little more info that can clarify on this before the Direct itself happens, we must not believe it to be true. That's what happened with the Grinch leak, and I cannot take text leaks as fact until proven undeniably true by Nintendo and Sakurai.
"worst possible outcome" implies Dragon Quest is the worst outcome

Nah I'm just pulling your leg. That is fair, though. A lot of circumstantial evidence does not just point to a character. I think given what we know about all of these characters, Erdrick is the safest bet unless info was meant to be fake or misleading. We'll have to wait and see if we can't speculate the truth.

MattX20

Smash Hero
"worst possible outcome" implies Dragon Quest is the worst outcome

Nah I'm just pulling your leg. That is fair, though. A lot of circumstantial evidence does not just point to a character. I think given what we know about all of these characters, Erdrick is the safest bet unless info was meant to be fake or misleading. We'll have to wait and see if we can't speculate the truth.
Indeed. And we musn't forget that Square Enix has given out false information before, and as I recall, Polar's source from within Nintendo of America itself has stated there was no news of anything DQ related discussed or even rumored. All of said rumors for DQ content happened outside of the company. Only Geno was potentially brought up.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Is that because of the whole stage/music component? Because otherwise the only reason that segment was so long was because there were two characters being introduced and an AT.

Indeed. And we musn't forget that Square Enix has given out false information before, and as I recall, Polar's source from within Nintendo of America itself has stated there was no news of anything DQ related discussed or even rumored. All of said rumors for DQ content happened outside of the company. Only Geno was potentially brought up.
To be fair while that could have been the case over the last several months that could have changed with the direct around the corner.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Is that because of the whole stage/music component? Because otherwise the only reason that segment was so long was because there were two characters being introduced and an AT.

To be fair while that could have been the case over the last several months that could have changed with the direct around the corner.
And Polar could've mentioned that to us or the people in the Square Enix thread should said changes have happened, and to my knowledge, he hasn't. So, judging from that, it seems to me the rumors were started from potentially people working for Square in collaboration to intentionally keep the identity of who was coming a secret. After all, we had at least 7 names thrown around via the list. So far, the contradictions regarding the "DQ rep" have stuck and have been unable to confirm anything substantial. They probably meant well trying to tell who was on the horizon, but the more you dig into it, the less sense it makes to be Erdrick or any DQ character. If the rumors of Square and Akira Toriyama being very strict about DQ are true, I don't think they would allow him to deviate from Akira's design for him that much or proportionally be wildly off.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, I'm more interested in the "surprise" that's supposedly going to be a big headliner and might poke Polar's source later to see if his colleague went into specifics. So, to recap, the trolly colleague suggested the Smash segment would focus on a particular franchise (he said which one) but said no particular character, suggesting they either don't know or there won't be one.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
And Polar could've mentioned that to us or the people in the Square Enix thread should said changes have happened, and to my knowledge, he hasn't. So, judging from that, it seems to me the rumors were started from potentially people working for Square in collaboration to intentionally keep the identity of who was coming a secret. After all, we had at least 7 names thrown around via the list. So far, the contradictions regarding the "DQ rep" have stuck and have been unable to confirm anything substantial. They probably meant well trying to tell who was on the horizon, but the more you dig into it, the less sense it makes to be Erdrick or any DQ character. If the rumors of Square and Akira Toriyama being very strict about DQ are true, I don't think they would allow him to deviate from Akira's design for him that much or proportionally be wildly off.
I mean yeah I agree with the bulk of this but I’m just saying the information fatmanonice is sharing with us sounds like a development of the last 24 hours or so. So polar wouldn’t have mentioned it because he didn’t know about it.

Honestly, I'm more interested in the "surprise" that's supposedly going to be a big headliner and might poke Polar's source later to see if his colleague went into specifics. So, to recap, the trolly colleague suggested the Smash segment would focus on a particular franchise (he said which one) but said no particular character, suggesting they either don't know or there won't be one.
Oh wow can you imagine the backpedaling ****show if DQ fell under the “won’t be one” category? Also now thinking about if DQ is hypothetically the franchise wouldn’t that seem very confusing to announce with a Castlevania length segment now considering Joker is the first character and we haven’t actually seen anything of him yet? Because a Castlevania tier segment implies gameplay.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Breaking my silence on this thread just to give my possible two cents here. If this surprise is gonna be a big headliner.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/02/...yone-happy-and-is-suitable-for-switch-online/
^
Willing to bet it's gonna be related to whatever this bad boy here is.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I think the DLC would likely be five of these eight:

Joker, Erdrick, Ryu Hayabusa, Chris Redfield/Leon Kennedy, Steve, Doom Slayer, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie.

From the 80s. Shin Megami Tensei, Dragon Quest and Ninja Gaiden are the final big ones. Joker being confirmed knocks one of those off the list. The 90s, there's a whole lot more, but on the Japanese side of things, Resident Evil is undoubtedly the biggest. Geno is on because Sakurai knows how much fans want him. With them working with Microsoft, Bethesda and Koei Tecmo on multiple fronts, plus all the Erdrick/Steve and now Rare rumors, I think this is currently the likeliest list.

I leave Monster Hunter off because the devs said the monsters represent the series the best and I leave off Crash, because outside of Switch versions of games, there doesn't seem to be anything else going on there. From what we know anyway. That could change. The only other thing I think might be possible is the Chosen Undead, but there isn't a whole lot to go off of there outside of the Switch Remaster.

Last edited:

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
Putting on my speculation glasses for a sec. Arent there 6 blank spots left for stages on the select screen? Maybe the smash thing is that we are getting a minecraft stage (maybe for free, idk) that has a few gimmicks to show off and the ender dragon as a boss, but steve isnt a fighter. And banjo is our actual dlc rep with him getting his own stage. Just a thought I had.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I leave Monster Hunter off because the devs said the monsters represent the series the best
Do you have a source on this? I've been wondering why it seems like everyone is sleeping on Monster Hunter but if the devs came out and straight said that I guess that would be why.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think the DLC would likely be five of these eight:

Joker, Erdrick, Ryu Hayabusa, Chris Redfield/Leon Kennedy, Steve, Doom Slayer, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie.

From the 80s. Shin Megami Tensei, Dragon Quest and Ninja Gaiden are the final big ones. Joker being confirmed knocks one of those off the list. The 90s, there's a whole lot more, but on the Japanese side of things, Resident Evil is undoubtedly the biggest. Geno is on because Sakurai knows how much fans want him. With them working with Microsoft, Bethesda and Koei Tecmo on multiple fronts, plus all the Erdrick/Steve and now Rare rumors, I think this is currently the likeliest list.

I leave Monster Hunter off because the devs said the monsters represent the series the best and I leave off Crash, because outside of Switch versions of games, there doesn't seem to be anything else going on there. From what we know anyway. That could change. The only other thing I think might be possible is the Chosen Undead, but there isn't a whole lot to go off of there outside of the Switch Remaster.
I'm fairly skeptical of RE representation right now along with Doomguy and Ryu because of one factor: the music slots in the game established. There are only 3 empty slots right now, and I don't think Nintendo would want every DLC character to be a third party character. I think they would want at least one or two characters of their own in there. To be fair to Minecraft, Sakurai did say he was interested in Minecraft "content", but not actual playable characters according to the interview. So, Minecraft Steve and Alex Mii Fighter costumes are a possibility. Not so sure about bonus stages though beyond what we have.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I'm fairly skeptical of RE representation right now along with Doomguy and Ryu because of one factor: the music slots in the game established. There are only 3 empty slots right now, and I don't think Nintendo would want every DLC character to be a third party character. I think they would want at least one or two characters of their own in there. To be fair to Minecraft, Sakurai did say he was interested in Minecraft "content", but not actual playable characters according to the interview. So, Minecraft Steve and Alex Mii Fighter costumes are a possibility. Not so sure about bonus stages though beyond what we have.
Yeah, And since it's pretty easy to make steves head and body into a Mii Costume, I would't be surprised if that is what we get.
Like Skull Kid, It could be easy to get a bad idea just by seeing it. Along with a Diamond Sword as an Sword Costume.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here's a recap of everything floating around right now:

-5 unannounced, Nintendo published Switch games with people suggesting at least two will be announced before E3: a Wii U port (Polar's source is 99% confident on what it is), 2D Zelda (supported by King Zell, the guy who leaked Pokemon Let's Go among other things), that Star Fox racing game people were talking about last E3, a Platinum game (probably Bayonetta 3 with some people suggesting it's something completely new), and the Metroid Prime Trilogy (suggested by everyone and their grandma).

-A German Nintendo ambassador heavily hints at new Animal Crossing Switch news on the horizon on Twitter, post is taken down.

-British retailers start putting up placeholders for Daemon X Machina, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's Mansion 3.

-A colleague of PolarPanda's suggests Smash (outright says what will be shown), Animal Crossing, and "a surprise" will be the big news makers of the next Direct. Polar's source, however, is skeptical because he notes that this source has a tendency to troll him and mix truth and lies.

-A number of major news outlets including the Wall Street Journal have apparently already been shown the details of the next Direct and are merely waiting for Nintendo to present it.
Thank the lord, something more concrete.

Also, how likely are Wall Street to delay the news if no Direct happens next week?

I'm sure it would annoy me a little. Lord knows I don't want to see Jessica reduced into a Mii costume, never mind Solo and Sofia. Or even Slime, for that matter.

Yes, I know a costume is a sign for "better luck next time", but just imagine the collective disappointment the Japanese base would have towards this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom