• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Keep in mind that in PP's Palutena's Guidance, Viridi mentions both Chewy and Megasmilax, a baddie and boss from SMRPG. You think Sakurai was like 'Yo Square, give us the right to Geno and Mallow and...hmm...oh yeah, Chewy and Megasmilax, but that's all we need.'

No, it's likely an umbrella deal that covers everything SMRPG, and when you add in that PP's Classic Mode image is a SMRPG commercial reference it makes it hard to think Sakurai would pursue a SMRPG umbrella deal just for a couple of references and two Spirits. Geno also has a pfp option...man, this can't just be cute nods to the fans, I refuse to believe it.

Also, someone in a comment on YT pointed out that PP automatically unlocks in Adventure Mode after you rescue ten fighters and then you can use them in both Spirits Board and Adventure Mode. For some reason, to them, this was all the reasoning that Geno can't be in the game as DLC...which is funny because it's proof as to why Geno CAN be DLC: PP isn't part of the main story, just tossed in there so you can play with them in all the modes. Geno would be the same thing, having a Spirit doesn't prevent that addition.

This person got upset real quick for no reason too, if you guys wanna see that let me know.
papagenos papagenos also mentioned that being the case and he says that he expects more Mario RPG related content in the future for Smash Ultimate.
There were Piranha Plants that were also exclusive to SuperStar Saga. Does the SMRPG games mean more considering they are names that only Square has rights to using or could Megasmilax be something that we are over analyzing? I mean it did name practically every Piranha Plant subspecies in all of Mario's existence. If there was one in Hotel Mario, I am pretty sure they would have named that too.

I do agree that unlocking after 10 is a blow to the spirits deconfirm argument but I am not officially sold on it considering Piranha Plant has no spirit in WOL.

D

Deleted member

I think I've asked this before but is there a list of who owns what when it comes to Mario RPG? How do we know this?
There isn't a list, but they own the names the same reason they own Geno and Mallow. Anything in SMRPG that weren't in previous games were created by and need negotiation with Square Enix

That honestly doesn't sound right to me, why would they be able to own anything related to something Nintendo already owns. We're not talking about a new Mario brother or something like that, we're talking about a race of monsters who have several variations. I find it hard to believe that Nintendo doesn't own anything related to Piranha Plants and that someone could make a "Biranha Plant" and get to own that.
It's because "Megasmilax" and "Chewy" were names created by SE. They weren't in games before SMRPG, and negotiation with SE is needed.

Once again, it's not the character that SE owns, but the names that they own. Any content in SMRPG that weren't in games before it were created by SE and need negotiation with SE to use

Last edited by a moderator:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
It's because "Megasmilax" and "Chewy" were names created by SE. They weren't in games before SMRPG, and negotiation with SE is needed.

Once again, it's not the character that SE owns, it's the name that they own. Any content in SMRPG that weren't in games before it were created by SE and need negotiation with SE to use
Well I'm sorry but I'm going to need a source for that then because I just don't buy that Square can own anything concerning a Piranha Plant which Nintendo already owns. We're not talking about an original character like Geno, we're talking about a slightly different Piranha Plant.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Well I'm sorry but I'm going to need a source for that then because I just don't buy that Square can own anything concerning a Piranha Plant which Nintendo already owns. We're not talking about an original character like Geno, we're talking about a slightly different Piranha Plant.
I mean they probably own Boshi, who is just a blue Yoshi with sunglasses, a mohawk and a spiked collar. So yeah.

D

Deleted member

Like I said though, it's not the character they own, but the names. The names were created by SE.

Just because something owned by Nintendo is closely related to another thing doesn't mean they own it. The same could be said about SMRPG as a whole. It's a Mario game and anything in it is closely related to Mario. However, that doesn't mean everything in the game is owned by Nintendo just because Mario is owned by Nintendo and everything else has a close relation to Mario.

The names were created by and need negotiation with SE. Again, not the character, but the names

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Geez Joker is the most likely how'd you guess that? Also SMT is 90's, not 80's.

You think they'd add Chris before Jill? I mean, he was in Marvel vs Capcom, but I think both Jill and Leon are infinitely more representative of the series.

In any case, I respect the opinions of a Gordon Freeman supporter.
The first game "Megami Tensei" is from 1987. And yes lol Joker is already confirmed obviously, I didn't need to put on the list there since he's confirmed.

On Resident Evil, I think Leon is the most likely choice. Especially with RE2 being such a huge success. Chris seems like the one Capcom treats as the
'MAIN" main character of the series. Since he's a protagonist in 1, REmake, 5 and 6. As well as one of 7's DLC's. And yes, being in Marvel helps his chances as well. Jill is possible, but I'd rank her third in likelihood. Though I do think she's more popular than Chris though. Claire would be fourth.

But yeah, Leon is definitely the most popular character and is the protagonist of three of the series best games (RE2, RE4, RE2R). So he makes the most sense.

On Gordon Freeman, he's definitely my most wanted character. Very low chance of ever happening unfortunately but oh well. Joker was in my top five most wanted, and if we get Banjo-Kazooie and Doom Slayer, three of my top five would be in. I'd be more than satisfied.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I get this has been explained a couple times already, but imma try my hand at it and see if I can help at all.

It's not all that hard to understand: Nintendo owns Mario, but Square owns SMRPG. Any character that was in SMRPG that was established before SMRPG (Mario, Bowser, Toadstool, Toad, Yoshi, Luigi, etc.) is completely Nintendo, but characters that were established in SMRPG (Geno, Mallow, Frogfucius, Booster, Boshi, Jonathon Jones, Jagger and Jinx, and in this specific case Chewy and Megasmilax/Smilax) are all owned by Square because they own SMRPG despite it being a game in a Nintendo world with Nintendo characters.

Yes, Chewy and Megasmilax/Smilax are based off the Piranha Plant, but the keyword here is based. Chewy has a green head and a purple body with no pot or pipe because it walks on it's roots like legs. Megasmilax is a multi-phase boss that is closer to the original PP design but has multiple heads with one being bigger than the others, even the Smilax portions of the boss fight show multiple heads off of one plant body. Both of these characters are variations on the PP design and are not directly PP itself, and since they fall under being characters made for SMRPG and not before or after and Square owns SMRPG, Square owns these variations of the Piranha Plant design and Nintendo has to get permission/pay for the right to even mention them in a Nintendo game.

To give more of an idea, let's play out a hypothetical scenario: let's say that Sonic 2 was made in collaboration with Sega and another company (Let's call them SamClassic. Points for those who get it), but then after that game Sega and SamClassic didn't work together for a while and that SamClassic owns Sonic 2 just like Square owns SMRPG. You know who first appeared in Sonic 2? Super Sonic! In this hypothetical scenario, it would be entirely possible and likely that SamClassic would own Super Sonic because they own Sonic 2 and not Sega, and if Sega wanted to use Super Sonic again they would need permission/pay for the rights to do so. Yeah, Sega owns the original character, but they don't own this variation of that character.

It's really just the 'Original Character, Do Not Steal' meme, but taken seriously at a corporate level.

Hopefully, that makes this easier.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So people wanted the conversation, so here we go. I will not include the names of the others involved just for their own sake.

The original post was by another user, who said this:

'Geno and Mallow are Deconfirmed so now I want Crono / Sora / Vivi I'dont Want Erdrick'
Then I responded as such:

ForsakenMemories45
'Spirits do not deconfirm, if they want to make a character that is already a Spirit they can. All the Spirits were chosen and made by another team with Sakurai having very little input. Try again.'
Then someone responded to me with this:

'The DLC fighters will be playable in Spirit Board and Adventure, with the latter requiring certain criteria. Piranha Plant is unlocked by freeing 10 fighters from Galeem's control. With the rest of the DLC fighters set to be playable in these modes, why would any of them be characters already Spirits and be able to encounter Spirits of themselves? And I mean exactly as they are, not variations like Kaptain K. Rool, Wedding Peach, Rock Mario, Mario and Luigi from Tennis Aces, Link from the original Legend of Zelda and A Link Between Worlds, Zelda from Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild, and several others. I mean, EXACTLY AS THEY ARE. It makes little to no sense and it's not something even Nintendo and Sakurai would do. '
So I responded to them:

ForsakenMemories45
'Thematically, with Geno is makes sense, as the spirit itself and the doll are two different entities, but I'm not going to go too deep. You said PP gets unlock in Story Mode when you unlock a certain number of fighters...do you have to fight PP? If not, then PP was never possessed and it's really a part of the canon story...so then if DLC characters are just there to allow you to do fights with them but aren't part of the actual mode, it doesn't really matter. Now if you told me that PP has multiple Spirit battles in which Spirits possess PP and you have to free then I'd be more inclined to believe you.'
Then they responded with this beauty right here:

'Piranha Plant is ****ING DLC!! OF COURSE IT'S NOT GONNA HAVE SPIRIT BATTLES OR BE PART OF THE STORY!! It's simply unlocked in World of Light my meeting criteria, but its not part of the story. But for you to say that you wouldn't believe me simply for those reasons is real stinking thinking you got there. Can't wait for you to be disappointed in the end. '
So I sent this their way:

ForsakenMemories45
' It's sad how you are reduced to a rage and then being petty so quickly from a simple response. Also, that first part of your comment applies to Geno if he were to make it as DLC: He wouldn't be part of the main story since he would be DLC, thus it doesn't matter if his Spirit is in the game or not. Kinda defeated yourself there, bud. '
That person hasn't responded back since, but another user responded to them with this bit.

'You know, since Porky is really popular yet doesn’t have a Spirit, if Porky isn’t in the DLC this entire Spirits arguments is bull****. Because by y’all logic all the DLC characters don’t have spirits because they’re intended to be in the game as DLC. '
There ya go, enjoy!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I get this has been explained a couple times already, but imma try my hand at it and see if I can help at all.

It's not all that hard to understand: Nintendo owns Mario, but Square owns SMRPG. Any character that was in SMRPG that was established before SMRPG (Mario, Bowser, Toadstool, Toad, Yoshi, Luigi, etc.) is completely Nintendo, but characters that were established in SMRPG (Geno, Mallow, Frogfucius, Booster, Boshi, Jonathon Jones, Jagger and Jinx, and in this specific case Chewy and Megasmilax/Smilax) are all owned by Square because they own SMRPG despite it being a game in a Nintendo world with Nintendo characters.

Yes, Chewy and Megasmilax/Smilax are based off the Piranha Plant, but the keyword here is based. Chewy has a green head and a purple body with no pot or pipe because it walks on it's roots like legs. Megasmilax is a multi-phase boss that is closer to the original PP design but has multiple heads with one being bigger than the others, even the Smilax portions of the boss fight show multiple heads off of one plant body. Both of these characters are variations on the PP design and are not directly PP itself, and since they fall under being characters made for SMRPG and not before or after and Square owns SMRPG, Square owns these variations of the Piranha Plant design and Nintendo has to get permission/pay for the right to even mention them in a Nintendo game.

To give more of an idea, let's play out a hypothetical scenario: let's say that Sonic 2 was made in collaboration with Sega and another company (Let's call them SamClassic. Points for those who get it), but then after that game Sega and SamClassic didn't work together for a while and that SamClassic owns Sonic 2 just like Square owns SMRPG. You know who first appeared in Sonic 2? Super Sonic! In this hypothetical scenario, it would be entirely possible and likely that SamClassic would own Super Sonic because they own Sonic 2 and not Sega, and if Sega wanted to use Super Sonic again they would need permission/pay for the rights to do so. Yeah, Sega owns the original character, but they don't own this variation of that character.

It's really just the 'Original Character, Do Not Steal' meme, but taken seriously at a corporate level.

So people wanted the conversation, so here we go. I will not include the names of the others involved just for their own sake.

So I responded to them:

That person hasn't responded back since, but another user responded to them with this bit.

There ya go, enjoy!
Thank you for this

Yeah I've come across this guy too and he's annoying as hell lmao

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Resident Evil representation if it ever happens just needs to be a base moveset that can fit all 4 of the main protags.

It might be harder considering the different in body shapes between them, but if you could figure it out. Base moveset and all 4 of them share the character slot and one re-color each.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Thank you for this

Yeah I've come across this guy too and he's annoying as hell lmao
Damn, I was trying to be polite and not show their name, but I copied it accidentally and didn't catch it in time.

Don't flame this poor individual, guys. Just leave them to wallow in their misery.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Damn, I was trying to be polite and not show their name, but I copied it accidentally and didn't catch it in time.

Don't flame this poor individual, guys. Just leave them to wallow in their misery.
Ah, sorry

I edited my post

D

Deleted member

I've been asked this a few times, so I'll clarify here. I am a SHE. So, if you refer to my info, that is the pronoun you should use :)
Really? Your about page on your profile says otherwise...

oh well, my bad lol

Lightspeed97

Smash Cadet
This. I know they have talked about certain franchises in Directs without playable characters in the past but those were in Smash focused Directs. It should also be noted that they never specified how long it would be, just that it would focus on one new franchise in Smash.
I'm really assuming it's Dragon Quest, however, I kinda feel like you guys would just say it outright if that were the case, considering how outspoken insiders have already been about Erdrick. So maybe not DQ just yet, after all?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Resident Evil representation if it ever happens just needs to be a base moveset that can fit all 4 of the main protags.

It might be harder considering the different in body shapes between them, but if you could figure it out. Base moveset and all 4 of them share the character slot and one re-color each.
Yeah Chris with a Leon alt (or vice versa) and Jill as an Echo with a Claire alt (or vice versa) would make sense. But we know we're not getting Echo Fighters. So most likely Leon and maybe Chris alt or vice versa. Though they could try to keep the partners together so it could be Chris/Jill or Leon/Claire. Don't think that's as likely though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So I responded to them:

There ya go, enjoy!
Thank you for explaining this better than I ever would. Using the "all rook same" argument in regards to Megasmilax doesn't work for these reasons you mentioned.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

So I responded to them:

There ya go, enjoy!
Wow. What gets me most is that they're a Vivi fan, because I'd rather have Black Mage than Vivi. xD I also love it when they get outplayed and start having a breakdown and type in caps. It's interesting how people will keep making arguments on spirits disconfirming characters because there is no official answer, but most lean more towards them not disconfirming characters since all of it was done by a completely different team; we'll never know unless one spirit (in any shape or form) makes it in as DLC. I really hope Geno gets in, that way the whole "spirits deconfirm" theory gets hakai'd. If Geno got in, I can see ♡♪!? being a spirit of Geno's true form and the Geno spirit being named as "Geno (Doll)".

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I've been asked this a few times, so I'll clarify here. I am a SHE. So, if you refer to my info, that is the pronoun you should use :)
Well I for one know I’ve used him/he to refer to you in the past so I very much apologize! Sorry for making assumptions!

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
For some reason I kinda always thought of you as a she, because of your Rei profil picture!

ZelDan

Smash Master
Now I hope to see Super Mario RPG x GoldenEye 007 soon...

Genes Bond.

The Toad with a bazooka.

If we ever get a remake or remaster to SMRPG, I hope they make Bazooka Toad a playable character.

he'd couldn't be recruited until endgame of course because he'd be too powerful and break an already pretty easy game

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If we ever get a remake or remaster to SMRPG, I hope they make Bazooka Toad a playable character.

he'd couldn't be recruited until endgame of course because he'd be too powerful and break an already pretty easy game
Step aside, Duke Nukem, we've got Duke Shroomem on the case.

D

Deleted member

Anyone remember that one Toad who fought his way through Smithy's other-dimensional evil lair to offer you items and weapons before the final battle?

bomamba

Smash Cadet
Yes.

If only because the spirits team has no bloody clue what they're doing. Seriously, why is there no one from Pro Wrestling? It lacking artwork is not an excuse!
Can’t wait for E3 to open up with John Cena announcing his retirement from Pro Wrestling and cutting a promo on how Mario doesn’t have any hustle, Link doesn’t have any loyalty and Mewtwo doesn’t have any respect. Then out of nowhere someone is announced as the last DLC.
*John Cena*
*THE CHAMP IS HERE!*
Smash Bros x WWE calling it now

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I randomly stop getting notified about people posting in this threat what's going on? Geno is going to be the first one showm next direct right?

D

Deleted member

So I responded to them:

There ya go, enjoy!
Hmm, Aran Ryan doesn't have a spirit so I guess he's DLC

D

Deleted member

Ok but seriously can someone catch me up what has been talked about the last couple pages?
Yeah, here's the main gist of it:

Here's a recap of everything floating around right now:

-5 unannounced, Nintendo published Switch games with people suggesting at least two will be announced before E3: a Wii U port (Polar's source is 99% confident on what it is), 2D Zelda (supported by King Zell, the guy who leaked Pokemon Let's Go among other things), that Star Fox racing game people were talking about last E3, a Platinum game (probably Bayonetta 3 with some people suggesting it's something completely new), and the Metroid Prime Trilogy (suggested by everyone and their grandma).

-A German Nintendo ambassador heavily hints at new Animal Crossing Switch news on the horizon on Twitter, post is taken down.

-British retailers start putting up placeholders for Daemon X Machina, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's Mansion 3.

-A colleague of PolarPanda's suggests Smash (outright says what will be shown), Animal Crossing, and "a surprise" will be the big news makers of the next Direct. Polar's source, however, is skeptical because he notes that this source has a tendency to troll him and mix truth and lies.

-A number of major news outlets including the Wall Street Journal have apparently already been shown the details of the next Direct and are merely waiting for Nintendo to present it.
He notes a particular franchise but not a character and says it would likely be the first thing shown in the Direct.
I think this is why Polar's source was skeptical because the implication seems to be that there would be a focus on a particular franchise but not necessarily a character, maybe like a Mii costume set but I'm in the position that Nintendo wouldn't do that. I'm thinking it would be both or at least a character because I think it would be a massive troll to that fanbase otherwise and be guaranteed sour grapes ala Isaac and Rex.
I'm always careful with this sort of thing, even though he did note that this particular does troll him from time to time.
The implication is that they would do a segment like they did with Castlevania in the August Smash Direct but, again, it's odd that they didn't mention a particular character if they supposedly know this much about it.

D

Deleted member

You should edit your profile for that so people don't get confused. Just a heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom