• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Placing my bets on a Minecraft stage builder. Don't know what else I can guess that involves the franchise but it's not a character. Unless it's a Mii costume but.

Last edited:

dreamstar_g

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7952 9587 6387
Placing my bets on a Minecraft stage builder. Don't know what else I can guess that involves the franchise but it's not a character. Unless it's a Mii costume but.
That would be so cool, with how much you can do in MC there’s so much you could do in a stage builder

Like..enemies as stage hazards..
Different terrains..
Potions to enhance fighter stats..

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That would actually be a very interesting way to represent Minecraft in Smash Brothers.

I like it.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
I just wanna throw this out there; just watched papageno’s vid where people speculate that duck hunt dog and mii swordfighter are being used as the base to create dlc characters since they bugged out all-star mode like piranha plant did. While mii swordfighter is easiest for Erdrick, could we see mii gunner sometime used as a base for geno?
Just a shower thought

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
TerminalMontage TerminalMontage

One of my favorite parts in your World of Light animation. I love how it has taken the Super Mario RPG battle stance and has the same RPG layout from the game. And I didn't know PSY was a spirit! :0

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ok but seriously can someone catch me up what has been talked about the last couple pages?
I think some stuff about a Direct was said but more importantly I made a joke about pencils.

Wouldn’t want ya to miss out.
Aw man but I like the stage builder. Don’t ruin it for me.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Anyone remember that one Toad who fought his way through Smithy's other-dimensional evil lair to offer you items and weapons before the final battle?
Personal headcanon: that's Bazooka Toad. He just remembered to bring his bazooka this time.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Well I'm sorry but I'm going to need a source for that then because I just don't buy that Square can own anything concerning a Piranha Plant which Nintendo already owns. We're not talking about an original character like Geno, we're talking about a slightly different Piranha Plant.
Square got the rights to use Mario enemies in the game, correct, but some of the Mario enemies in the game use completely different names because they probably couldn't get the rights to use their names in the game, or didn't want to pay for their names, so they made their own names for some Mario enemies.

The Beezos (The Fly Guys from SMB2) in the game are called "Shy Aways" because Square possibly couldn't get the rights to their original names, hence why they use that name.

I guess Square didn't get the rights to use Koopa Troopas, so they made their own Koopa Troopa species and designs for them, and their names go under "Terrapin" for the green-shelled Koopa and "Terra Cotta" for the red-shelled Koopa.

The Shy Guys on pogo sticks in the game are called "Shysters", but since they had the rights to use "Shy Guy", I doubt this one was an issue.

These are Bill Blasters, but they're called "Blaster" and "Big Bertha" in SMRPG.

Lava Bubbles are called "Sparky", probably because Square didn't get the rights to their OG name.

Cheep Cheeps go under the name "Goby", and you basically get the rest..

And as for the alternative names of the Mario enemies, that means those names are owned by Square, which is why we haven't seen those names on a Mario enemy ever since Super Mario RPG.

ZelDan

Smash Master
just got a news update on my Switch about Spirits in Smash ultimate, and the two spirits shown through screenshots were Baby Bowser and Geno.

they really like to show that Geno spirit don't they?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
just got a news update on my Switch about Spirits in Smash ultimate, and the two spirits shown through screenshots were Baby Bowser and Geno.

they really like to show that Geno spirit don't they?
I can't wait till they have a Fan Favorite Spirits event. Just to rub more salt in the wound.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I was playing around making a Mii Gunner and had to laugh because my favorite Anti-Geno comment is ''Maybe he got all his Geno ideas out through Mii Gunner."

You mean those ideas that are NOTHING like Geno at all?

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Square got the rights to use Mario enemies in the game, correct, but some of the Mario enemies in the game use completely different names because they probably couldn't get the rights to use their names in the game, or didn't want to pay for their names, so they made their own names for some Mario enemies.

The Beezos (The Fly Guys from SMB2) in the game are called "Shy Aways" because Square possibly couldn't get the rights to their original names, hence why they use that name.

I guess Square didn't get the rights to use Koopa Troopas, so they made their own Koopa Troopa species and designs for them, and their names go under "Terrapin" for the green-shelled Koopa and "Terra Cotta" for the red-shelled Koopa.

The Shy Guys on pogo sticks in the game are called "Shysters", but since they had the rights to use "Shy Guy", I doubt this one was an issue.

These are Bill Blasters, but they're called "Blaster" and "Big Bertha" in SMRPG.

Lava Bubbles are called "Sparky", probably because Square didn't get the rights to their OG name.

And as for the alternative names of the Mario enemies, that means those names are owned by Square, which is why we haven't seen those names on a Mario enemy ever since Super Mario RPG.
This was super helpful and the examples were great!

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Geno is on because Sakurai knows how much fans want him.
Well I still repeat the points from #28,804, personally I think this is not a valid point here. As others noted, it is also a concern whether Sakurai does have bigger power in nominations of Sm4sh or Ultimate this time.

Another possibility I've thought of is in just how much we don't know about the choosing process from Nintendo and Sakurai. Polar's source has stated that the final choices were apparently made by Nintendo of Japan... but what if there was more involvement from Nintendo outside of Japan? Consulting the worldwide branches and gathering choices could very well be possible, especially if they want to minimize on Eastern bias and go for more worldwide appeal. Nintendo of America has been namedropping Geno and Mallow for the first time in years, and with the Geno rumor at NoA, it begs the question of how it began.
Perhaps I'm not too familiar when it comes to theories of "popularity with in Japan or in western fandoms". Just I wonder if there have been realstic cases of Mario a character that is especially popular in only western culture or in Japan eventually gets big bigger role in the Mario franchise while the other side doesn't. I feel like KingKRool isn't that unpopular in either western or eastern side, for example.

I think Nintendo would still have a voice when it comes to 3rd party franchise choices. If thee believe that Persona has the potential to be promoted to foreign regions as an independent franchise, I would just say why not, they're pretty legit. Unlike Cloud from FF who is a classic more than a recent character, I thinkthey choose Joker because of P5 has some good influence on western cultures, so they would not pick any from P3 or P4 that might only be popular within Japanese culture.

So I'm curious how this works. So Geno is owned by Square because he was an original character in their game they made using Mario characters, but would characters like Boshi who are unique versions of the Nintendo property Yoshi belong to Square, or in this case a version of the Piranha Plant (owned by Nintendo) that was created by Square for their game?.
I'm trying to recall if KingdomHearts have such examples of characters that was based on an existed reference but is created by the other company . At least we can confirm that all original characters like Sora and Kairi in that game were created by Square. It feels like the original characters from SMRPG worked in the same way with KingdomHearts that they were not made by Nintendo.

I really hope Geno gets in, that way the whole "spirits deconfirm" theory gets hakai'd.
I understand your intention, but I don't try to stand by any side of opinions of confirming spirits/assists/background characters. The point is still that many popular candidates are there, any of them can be the one to break the "deconfirming" theory. If we only main at a specific character then this would not be too relevant.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think Nintendo would still have a voice when it comes to 3rd party franchise choices. If thee believe that Persona has the potential to be promoted to foreign regions as an independent franchise, I would just say why not, they're pretty legit.
Persona is already an independent franchise that has English releases. But why would Nintendo has a say in the subject? It's owned by ATLUS and SEGA.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I've been asked this a few times, so I'll clarify here. I am a SHE. So, if you refer to my info, that is the pronoun you should use :)
terribly sorry if I ever said otherwise I usually default to male pronouns when talking about people on the internet if I dont know, also I tend to use "guy"/"guys" and "dude"/"dudes" gender neutrally but thats just skater punk lingo from my past being hard to shake haha

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, the possibility has been brought up before. It'd be a clever way to bring back the Stage Builder.

I would love this unironically.

"Ya don't look Irish!!!"
Me too. Even if I would prefer for Super Macho Man to get in first.

terribly sorry if I ever said otherwise I usually default to male pronouns when talking about people on the internet if I dont know, also I tend to use "guy"/"guys" and "dude"/"dudes" gender neutrally but thats just skater punk lingo from my past being hard to shake haha
Well, you know how it is, that pesky stereotype of "there are no girls on the Internet" is prevalent in the World Wide Web. There's a reason the term "I'm a girl by the way" is used semi-ironically sometimes.

Huh, that's interesting, here I and other people thought that the name changes were because Ted Woolsey took some liberties.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, the possibility has been brought up before. It'd be a clever way to bring back the Stage Builder.
This idea never made sense to me. If they can bring Stage Builder back via DLC, why don't they just do it? Why it needs an expensive IP paint-job?

It's like saying "bring back Break the Targets but as Angry Birds"

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
This idea never made sense to me. If they can bring Stage Builder back via DLC, why don't they just do it? Why it needs an expensive IP paint-job?

It's like saying "bring back Break the Targets but as Angry Birds"
Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series & Knuckles! SP!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Was watching BillyBo10K's video about Erderick being this negotiation nightmare, and it made me think of Piranha Plant, and then I thought about PapaGeno's last video, and then I also thought about Piranha Plant again.

What if Erderick is such of an nightmare when it comes to the music, that we will get about 1-2 tracks from the series, but as a compansation we get plenty of Super Mario RPG music, and to top it all off, make Geno a Piranha Plant like character where he comes outside of the pass to compliment the Square deal. Makes Sakurai's wanted character there, a lot of Mario RPG stuff in Smash, we get Erdrcik as Brave, AND WE GET GENO.

^
Might just be wishful thinking, but negotiation is hard sometimes I'd believe. If anyone could pull it off, however, it would be Sakurai.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Was watching BillyBo10K's video about Erderick being this negotiation nightmare, and it made me think of Piranha Plant, and then I thought about PapaGeno's last video, and then I also thought about Piranha Plant again.

What if Erderick is such of an nightmare when it comes to the music, that we will get about 1-2 tracks from the series, but as a compansation we get plenty of Super Mario RPG music, and to top it all off, make Geno a Piranha Plant like character where he comes outside of the pass to compliment the Square deal. Makes Sakurai's wanted character there, a lot of Mario RPG stuff in Smash, we get Erdrcik as Brave, AND WE GET GENO.

^
Might just be wishful thinking, but negotiation is hard sometimes I'd believe. If anyone could pull it off, however, it would be Sakurai.
Yeah, I don't want to rain on anyone's parades, but I just don't see that happening. Erdrick has a lot of negotiation behind him, and the music situation is likely to be hell due to Sugiyama's track record on usage + Square's own stinginess, but Sakurai is a miracle worker. This isn't like base game where it'd be that much tougher to pull off more than two tracks, as compensation will actually be given + Sugiyama is present, where Uematsu has taken a health leave.

Trust me, I'd love this scenario. Everyone would be happy in the end of it all. That being said, though, I don't see it happening. I can see Geno as misc. DLC, and his chances of that are honestly better than him being in the Fighter's Pass. Don't get me wrong on that. Even so, I don't know if I could really see this happening. It's probably the cynic in me, though.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yeah, I don't want to rain on anyone's parades, but I just don't see that happening. Erdrick has a lot of negotiation behind him, and the music situation is likely to be hell due to Sugiyama's track record on usage + Square's own stinginess, but Sakurai is a miracle worker. This isn't like base game where it'd be that much tougher to pull off more than two tracks, as compensation will actually be given + Sugiyama is present, where Uematsu has taken a health leave.

Trust me, I'd love this scenario. Everyone would be happy in the end of it all. That being said, though, I don't see it happening. I can see Geno as misc. DLC, and his chances of that are honestly better than him being in the Fighter's Pass. Don't get me wrong on that. Even so, I don't know if I could really see this happening. It's probably the cynic in me, though.
We won't get Mario music with another franchise rep, that is undeniable. However, as I've pointed out before, the game only has 3 empty music slots, which implies at most only 3 new series are involved for the season pass with a character to go along with them. The other 2 characters will most likely be from franchises already in Smash, and Geno is a possibility due to his Mario connections, and it's very clear that Nintendo and Sakurai don't have any problems with more Mario characters being added.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This is the best option. Minecraft stage builder and maybe a Steve Mii costume for Mii Brawler. No offense to those who want him, but I REALLY don't want Steve anywhere near the character select screen. If anything from Microsoft gets there, it should be Banjo. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like third parties in the game.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Geno is a possibility due to his Mario connections, and it's very clear that Nintendo and Sakurai don't have any problems with more Mario characters being added.
I only think there's nothing we can really do when they announce it with already done the DLCs (not like "Hey! Take that thing back and do something else instead"), but in an ojective view, it is a problem when that really happens. However, I think "no one expect this surprise" thing might have decreased the chances of more Mario DLCs but rather increases chances of yet unused franchises.

Geno's connection with Mario franchises probably should happen in some other Mario RPGs, tho.

If anyone could pull it off, however, it would be Sakurai.
Basically hints on Miyamoto and the others litereally did nothing. (not sarcasm, somehow true here)

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I only think there's nothing we can really do when they announce it with already done works , but in an ojective view, it is a problem when that really happens. But again, I think "no one expect this DLC" thing might have excluded more Mario DLCs.

Geno's connection with Mario franchises probably should happen in some other Mario RPGs, tho.

Basically hints on Miyamoto and the others litereally did nothing.
I'm sorry, but I'm... really having trouble understanding what you're trying to say. I think the language barriers are proving to be a bit of a problem, and while I normally don't mind that, when pitching big arguments, it kinda just causes a lot of problems for both parties, I'm afraid. It's nice to have all kinds of different viewpoints, but I can't help but be rather confused by your posts more often than not...

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, but I'm... really having trouble understanding what you're trying to say. I think the language barriers are proving to be a bit of a problem, and while I normally don't mind that, when pitching big arguments, it kinda just causes a lot of problems for both parties, I'm afraid. It's nice to have all kinds of different viewpoints, but I can't help but be rather confused by your posts more often than not...
I'm no native speaker so sorry for that I cannot make clear points sometimes. I appreciate your opinions here, thanks.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm no native speaker so sorry for that I cannot make clear points sometimes. I appreciate your opinions here, thanks.
I understand! I know I'd be stumbling bad if I tried to even approach other languages, so I apologize if I sounded a bit unreasonable. I can imagine it's got to be frustrating on your end, too.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It would probably help if we had more context, like what thread this was posted in. There's probably a rumoured Nintendo Direct for just about every weekday for the past month or so - I'm exaggerating, but only slightly.
Honestly, there's probably going to be a Direct yesterday. I'd know, I have my sources and inside information spreading some stuff.

We just need 1.21 gigawatts and a DeLorean.

D

Deleted member

IIRC, KingZelle posted (on Resetera, I believe) "13 is your lucky number...am out"

Edit: beat to the punch lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Found the original post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...to-those-who-wait.98257/page-24#post-17704098

It's in a thread about Nintendo Direct speculation, which helps, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it should be taken seriously.
Of note is that it was posted by King Zell, who has predicted Directs in the past and has been proven to have connections. I believe he was the one who leaked Pokemon Let's Go? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was the one who did that.

I'd still take it with a grain of salt from how weird Nintendo's been about directs lately, but it's a point of interest.

bomamba

Smash Cadet
Yeah about the leak, it feels like every direct is in the middle of the week so I don’t find this to be too unrealistic. Possibly not true, but it is also a possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom