• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It would probably help if we had more context, like what thread this was posted in. There's probably a rumoured Nintendo Direct for just about every weekday for the past month or so - I'm exaggerating, but only slightly.
Of note is that it was posted by King Zell, who has predicted Directs in the past and has been proven to have connections. I believe he was the one who leaked Pokemon Let's Go? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was the one who did that.

I'd still take it with a grain of salt from how weird Nintendo's been about directs lately, but it's a point of interest.
Yeah about the leak, it feels like every direct is in the middle of the week so I don’t find this to be too unrealistic. Possibly not true, but it is also a possibility
In any case, there are unannounced games indeed:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...et_to_launch_this_year_delays_not_anticipated

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Off topic: In the Business I'm working there's a person named "Gino" and it's pronounced as "Geno" so, My other coworker said "Hey, Gino is calling"
BOI I THINK IT'S REAL NOW

Pd: that was not a joke, that actually happen some minutes ago

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Do you mind sourcing me on that? It's the first I've heard of this.
It's a theory, first of all, and not fact, that the empty slots mean that. It's an aesthetic on the music menu in Ultimate, wherein if you list the music by franchise, there are three empty slots. It could mean something or it could mean absolutely nothing.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
It's a theory, first of all, and not fact, that the empty slots mean that. It's an aesthetic on the music menu in Ultimate, wherein if you list the music by franchise, there are three empty slots. It could mean something or it could mean absolutely nothing.
Mm okay, that's still interesting to think about though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Odds are they can be filled anyways, much like the character ID slots in 4. Otherwise it seems wasteful to leave such empty space.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It would be extremely odd anyway for Nintendo to not add ANY first party characters as DLC. This is still their game after all.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
It would be extremely odd anyway for Nintendo to not add ANY first party characters as DLC. This is still their game after all.
I'm starting to become something of an ambassador for the fireden leak, but honestly? 3 third-parties and 2 Nintendo characters sounds like an excellent compromise to me.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm starting to become something of an ambassador for the fireden leak, but honestly? 3 third-parties and 2 Nintendo characters sounds like an excellent compromise to me.
The fireden leak likely isn't real. If Rex was too new for the base game or DLC (given the Mii outfit), I sincerely doubt they'd be able to put Edelgard in the game. If Rex is too new, Edelgard is way, way too new.

Despite that, I do think three third parties and two Nintendo characters works well, if not four third parties (with Geno included) and one Nintendo character. Geno would count as a pseudo-Nintendo character anyhow, even if owned by Square Enix, and SMRPG would just be filed under the Mario series (as indicated by his spirit). That being said, I don't think Geno is in the pass and has a better chance as individual DLC, but it's some stuff to munch on.

D

Deleted member

I'm trying to think. What first party would be hype enough to warrant it becoming DLC? Now they could just make Edelgard and Sylux DLC as part of advertising, but seriously. Would there be a first party character that would make fans explode on a level like Ryu or Cloud? (And I count Geno as third party so don't go there.) Kind of hard to imagine since we are paying for this stuff.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm trying to think. What first party would be hype enough to warrant it becoming DLC? Now they could just make Edelgard and Sylux DLC as part of advertising, but seriously. Would there be a first party character that would make fans explode on a level like Ryu or Cloud? (And I count Geno as third party so don't go there.) Kind of hard to imagine since we are paying for this stuff.
Eh, hype is subjective, I hardly think Sakurai is that concerned about stuffing DLC with only what people think would be hype. They can be out of left field and still excite people somehow, like a character who's been long-forgotten by everyone (including the Smash base) that's finally pulled out of the vault.

The fireden leak likely isn't real. If Rex was too new for the base game or DLC (given the Mii outfit), I sincerely doubt they'd be able to put Edelgard in the game. If Rex is too new, Edelgard is way, way too new.

Despite that, I do think three third parties and two Nintendo characters works well, if not four third parties (with Geno included) and one Nintendo character. Geno would count as a pseudo-Nintendo character anyhow, even if owned by Square Enix, and SMRPG would just be filed under the Mario series (as indicated by his spirit). That being said, I don't think Geno is in the pass and has a better chance as individual DLC, but it's some stuff to munch on.
Consensus is that the list is a bunch of guesses, so who really knows.

One thing for sure is though, there won't be a Direct on monday.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm not so sure. Then again, if Erdrick is in the pass, I don't think hype is necessarily a factor, since a lot of people in the west won't be hype for him. Mild hype would count, as the east would go nuts for him, but worldwide appeal is where that's taken down a notch.

If we factor that in, Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee, and heck, even Waluigi would be pretty well-received first parties. They won't be SUPER hype, but judging from Erdrick, that doesn't seem to matter much.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

Well I would say a good difference is, DLC doesn't need to be done till February 2020, when the base roster had to be done by December 2018. Sakurai seems to know about games that are being made way in advance. When he decided DLC it might have just reached the threshold for having enough time to be made DLC.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

DLC was just decided on recently though, and Rex's game has already come and gone. Edelguard's in a similar spot that Corrin was. She's unlikely but I wouldn't rule her out either.
what's the fireden leak?

is it the same as the 5chan leak?
This one right here, which got Joker correct before his reveal:
https://www.elecspo.com/static/uploads/2018/12/smashbrosultimatedlcleaks.png
I'm most likely setting myself up for disappointment, but nothing's killed it yet.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well I would say a good difference is, DLC doesn't need to be done till February 2020, when the base roster had to be done by December 2018. Sakurai seems to know about games that are being made way in advance. When he decided DLC it might have just reached the threshold for having enough time to be made DLC.
I would agree if Rex's Mii outfit wasn't DLC. If Rex had the time to be included as a DLC character, he surely would have been saved for the Fighter's Pass or misc. DLC instead of a compensation being given in the form of the Mii costume. If he couldn't make it to DLC, I doubt Edelgard would be able to, as well.

DLC was just decided on recently though, and Rex's game has already come and gone. Edelguard's in a similar spot that Corrin was. She's unlikely but I wouldn't rule her out either.
We actually don't know how recent DLC was decided. Sakurai's wording on the time it's been chosen is rather vague, and given Joker's inclusion and the time he started becoming hugely relevant, we can kind of pinpoint a time. The amount of effort being put in DLC and the need for third party negotiation, too, points at 2017 being the very latest DLC could have been chosen. That is not ample time to add Edelgard as a possibility.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think there are two aspects to this that might make Edelgard not completely unrealistic. One, we only know that Rex was too early for base roster. While I think his costume is probably a sign he isn't getting in that doesn't necessarily mean anyone after that is too late. And two, honestly the fact that its Fire Emblem vs Xenoblade Chronicles we're comparing. I think XC2 caught everyone by surprise and no one expected it to do as well as it did, conversely Fire Emblem has been steadily on the rise for a while so its possible if they wanted to include 1st party characters as promotional picks that they would have planned for a Three Houses rep to fill a DLC slot.

Not saying it's a sure thing by any means but it seems reasonable enough that I wouldn't count Edelgard out just yet.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think there are two aspects to this that might make Edelgard not completely unrealistic. One, we only know that Rex was too early for base roster. While I think his costume is probably a sign he isn't getting in that doesn't necessarily mean anyone after that is too late. And two, honestly the fact that its Fire Emblem vs Xenoblade Chronicles we're comparing. I think XC2 caught everyone by surprise and no one expected it to do as well as it did, conversely Fire Emblem has been steadily on the rise for a while so its possible if they wanted to include 1st party characters as promotional picks that they would have planned for a Three Houses rep to fill a DLC slot.

Not saying it's a sure thing by any means but it seems reasonable enough that I wouldn't count Edelgard out just yet.
There is a trump card in her favor: the axe. Sakurai had said the Fighter Pass characters would all be unique. If your FE pick is a main character that uses more than a sword as a weapon of predilection for once, it'd be hard to pass over that opportunity.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

The fact of Mii costumes being made as compensation tells me that Rex is honestly too new for even DLC. The final point does make sense, though, and Fire Emblem is pretty much always on the table as an option.

I guess in the end, Edelgard isn't an impossibility, but I just don't think she's as likely as people seem to think. On top of that, isn't the FE3H lord Byleth and not Edelgard? Don't we know very little about her? If they'd go with someone in such a case then, wouldn't it be the lord, Byleth?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
All we know is Nintendo made a list, and Sakurai picked from it. We have no idea if they went "Ok but you need to at least pick one Metroid Prime character and one Fire Emblem Three Houses character."

osby

Smash Obsessed
There is a trump card in her favor: the axe. Sakurai had said the Fighter Pass characters would all be unique. If your FE pick is a main character that uses more than a sword as a weapon of predilection for once, it'd be hard to pass over that opportunity.
Sakurai thought Corrin was unique, so I think he actually looks at unique abilities, not what their disjoint looks like.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The fact of Mii costumes being made as compensation tells me that Rex is honestly too new for even DLC. The final point does make sense, though, and Fire Emblem is pretty much always on the table as an option.

I guess in the end, Edelgard isn't an impossibility, but I just don't think she's as likely as people seem to think. On top of that, isn't the FE3H lord Byleth and not Edelgard? Don't we know very little about her? If they'd go with someone in such a case then, wouldn't it be the lord, Byleth?
The guy is Edelgard's teacher, and uses swords. I have a hard time seeing how he'd be made unique...

All we know is Nintendo made a list, and Sakurai picked from it. We have no idea if they went "Ok but you need to at least pick one Metroid Prime character and one Fire Emblem Three Houses character."
Technically, Nintendo gave Sakurai suggestions, and the latter went through a process of elimination that consists of "can we make this one work? if not, show me the next one".

Sakurai thought Corrin was unique, so I think he actually looks at unique abilities, not what their disjoint looks like.
At least with Corrin they can turn into a dragon and shapeshift overall. What is special about Byleth?

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The guy is Edelgard's teacher, and uses swords. I have a hard time seeing how he'd be made unique...
Oh, of course, I'm not saying they'd necessarily make him very unique. It just doesn't seem outside of Nintendo's league for them to choose something so loudly a shill pick, even if not the most unique. That being said, I could see Sakurai saying a hard no to Byleth and going to Edelgard instead, so that actually does make sense.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I'm really hoping if she gets in that they incorporate her magic too to make her feel even more unique.

Concerning your last point honestly at this stage we don't really know enough to say for sure how the characters will play out but I think Edelgard is popular because she uses an axe and had more screen time in the trailer than the other two did plus people don't seem crazy about another avatar character getting in.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
What is special about Edelgard? Why would a casual consumer that has no interest in weapon triangles find her interesting?
All Smash characters are going to be interesting is the thing. In the era when people willing flings $10s if not $100s for cosmetics, an entire character for $5 is going to be popular and sell well in one of the most popular games on the breakout system of the last two years.

I know this gets brought up a lot for this reason and that. But I think that between that reality and the fact that Sakurai has done nothing but prove to us that he’ll make an interesting character out of anything or at least handle them well, it really doesn’t matter who they choose. The fact that there a Smash character makes them interesting and instantly appealing, especially when unique moveset mechanics get thrown in.

I don’t take that as a pessimistic outlook, just a testament to how damn big Smash is and the influence it can have. In Sakurai’s hands, anyone can be interesting.

Plus, on a different note, I’ve always loved how Corrin got so much hate online, yet a few of my buddies instantly loved them for the moveset and knew nothing about them.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm fairly confident that Chrom is the last FE character Smash Bros is getting for a long while. Recall that Sakurai himself is a fan of the series, and even he thought the amount of FE characters in 4 was a bit much. I think Mario, Kirby, and Zelda would be more likely franchise candidates for Nintendo having at least one or two of their own characters in there.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I'm fairly confident that Chrom is the last FE character Smash Bros is getting for a long while. Recall that Sakurai himself is a fan of the series, and even he thought the amount of FE characters in 4 was a bit much. I think Mario, Kirby, and Zelda would be more likely franchise candidates for Nintendo having at least one or two of their own characters in there.
It's not about representation, it's about what is coming down the pipeline that Nintendo would want to promote and there isn't anything Mario or Kirby coming that we've heard of and only rumors about something Zelda. Yeah it would be great to get a Kirby rep to fix their representation but without a Kirby game to promote people are wondering if Nintendo would bother with Kirby.

Then you look at what is coming and Fire Emblem: Three Houses and (previously) Metroid Prime 4 were the big things that were coming before that Feb 2020 date so it made sense they were the ones talked about.

Last edited:

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
It's not about representation, it's about what is coming down the pipeline that Nintendo would want to promote and there isn't anything Mario or Kirby coming that we've heard of and only rumors about something Zelda. Yeah it would be great to get a Kirby rep to fix their representation but without a Kirby game to promote people are wondering if Nintendo would bother with Kirby.

Then you look at what is coming and Fire Emblem: Three Houses and (previously) Metroid Prime 4 were the big things that were coming before that Feb 2020 date so it made sense they were the ones talked about.
If Nintendo really did give Sakurai a list of characters to choose from, I am not convinced that Sakurai would even choose the FE rep at this point. Maybe his mind will change though, I don't know.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
If Nintendo really did give Sakurai a list of characters to choose from, I am not convinced that Sakurai would even choose the FE rep at this point. Maybe his mind will change though, I don't know.
We already got Chrom in the base game, and besides I think he values moveset potential over where a character hails from, and he's not yet done an FE character with an axe.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
I say they might add one or two promotional characters and the rest be "no one saw coming characters" as Reggie said at Game awards. As which character dlc fighter pass it will be? Idk.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
FE axe person might've been nice three FE characters ago. For the love of g o d, it's not worth it at this point.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Does Geno or Super Mario RPG have anything to do with the direct content rumors floating around?

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Didn't Sakurai himself said there was so much FE characters?
Well he said that in context of adding Corrin but he still added them. And then he added Chrom, so it's not like he was saying that in a way to suggest he won't ever touch FE again.

But I'll keep my love of Fire Emblem out of the Geno thread, just remember that there are still people who would be excited to see Fire Emblem characters in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom