• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
does Nintendo think their characters won’t sell? And, if so, why?
I know I've strained from Geno support, but this question just got me to step in: No, I don't think they believe their characters won't sell, but they definitely believe there's more value into bringing guests than their own stuff. Some people have brought it up on different places, but the main idea for Smash was to make a game with recognizable characters, hence why Sakurai and Iwata worked with Nintendo characters, because people could tell who many of them were. The idea of guest characters existed since Melee, where Snake and Sonic were both considered, but couldn't make it out of time, then Brawl came out and opened the gate. Smash 4 expanded on to it, specially in the DLC where three out of four newcomers were third-party (including freaking Cloud of all characters). Now, let me just quote Reggie himself when talking about Joker:
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is the biggest crossover in gaming history, dare I say, the biggest crossover in entertainment.
Quite the adjective, isn't it? Now, let me ask this: do you think Nintendo would want to limit their choices to their own stuff if they're aspiring to something like that? Answer is not. If they suggested a character like Joker, it's because they really do think these guests are worth investing license and development costs into them. Same with other guys like Erdrick and Steve. Not to mention, Sakurai still chose all five, and if PolarPanda is right, neither him nor Nintendo (or at least NoA) have any interest in turning Assist Trophies or Mii Costumes into full-fledged characters for this DLC round, so of course, choices are far more limited for first-party guys.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The person who leaked the direct said Erdrick is in; so I'm actually not too hyped. I just want to get it over with to be honest.

Polar's insistence that Xen is right still baffles me though...
Source on that? King Zell didn't say anything about Erdrick, iirc. If that's the case and the Direct is on the 14th, though, I guess that clinches that.

D

Deleted member

When Erdrick gets in, we'll all hear the "OMG GUYS GOKU'S IN SMASH" jokes from literally every single person on this planet until they die a week later.

D

Deleted member

When Erdrick gets in, we'll all hear the "OMG GUYS GOKU'S IN SMASH" jokes from literally every single person on this planet until they die a week later.
TFW you'd rather just hear people say, "OMG IT'S DRAGON QUEST" instead of Dragon Ball

MattX20

Smash Hero
Source on that? King Zell didn't say anything about Erdrick, iirc. If that's the case and the Direct is on the 14th, though, I guess that clinches that.
I looked at the Resetera thread and haven't seen anything beyond the 13th hint

D

Deleted member

Woah, I have not been in this thread since forever. What's the happenings in terms of Geno?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can can assure you that people will say that...

In Japan lol
Or the smaller DQ Western fanbase, like me. Mind you, I tend to like the older games that are "outdated", but still. Love the series and its unique nature. I wouldn't love things like palette swaps, ooze-monsters, etc. without it. :)

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Or the smaller DQ Western fanbase, like me. Mind you, I tend to like the older games that are "outdated", but still. Love the series and its unique nature. I wouldn't love things like palette swaps, ooze-monsters, etc. without it. :)
I know haha I was just memeing

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I would be more happy with Slime. If Dragon Quest was really a must. At least go with a face everyone would at least recognize. Hopefully the entire fighter pass isn't just anime looking humans and Steve.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
hey guys, i heard about the new direct rumor, that’s super rad. i’ve been distancing myself from smash speculation for a bit and it’s been pretty nice. i do miss you guys sometimes though so i wanted to stop by and say hello. also, i found some really nice art you may or may not have seen :)

View attachment 191109
Please remember to source the artist before reposting their art.

That's my only complaint here. Is nice art.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I would be more happy with Slime. If Dragon Quest was really a must. At least go with a face everyone would at least recognize. Hopefully the entire fighter pass isn't just anime looking humans and Steve.
I am genuinely worried this is going to happen. Like it's a real possibility.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That sounds like a great possibility for me.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm no native speaker so sorry for that I cannot make clear points sometimes. I appreciate your opinions here, thanks.
Want's your native language?

Honestly, there's probably going to be a Direct yesterday. I'd know, I have my sources and inside information spreading some stuff.

We just need 1.21 gigawatts and a DeLorean.
Doc Brown: 88 MILES PER HOUR!!!!!
I'm trying to think. What first party would be hype enough to warrant it becoming DLC? Now they could just make Edelgard and Sylux DLC as part of advertising, but seriously. Would there be a first party character that would make fans explode on a level like Ryu or Cloud?
Bandana Dee, Waluigi or Isaac if upgraded. Porky wouldn't bring that much hype for a lot of fans, but he is very likely right now to be one of the 4 remaining Season Pass fighters because he is the only Subspace boss that doesn't have a spirit in the game at all. There is the Absolute Safe Capsule that's a spirit, but the sprite of it is the empty one so Porky isn't in it. Porky in Smash could be a promotion for Mother 3 finally getting localized in the west.

Kind of hard to imagine since we are paying for this stuff.
They sold Corrin in Smash 4, so they definitely could sell somebody like Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, or Elma if they want too.

He is supposed to be in more recent games like Mario Kart 8 rather than a "surprising returnee" in Ultimate.
Where you came up with that? If anything other than Smash, he should return to his own franchise before appearing again in another Mario spin off title.

I am genuinely worried this is going to happen. Like it's a real possibility.
Reggie did say at the Game Awards that Joker would reflect on what the rest of the fighters in the Season Pass might be.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Want's your native language?

Doc Brown: 88 MILES PER HOUR!!!!!

Bandana Dee, Waluigi or Isaac if upgraded. Porky wouldn't bring that much hype for a lot of fans, but he is very likely right now to be one of the 4 remaining Season Pass fighters because he is the only Subspace boss that doesn't have a spirit in the game at all. There is the Absolute Safe Capsule that's a spirit, but the sprite of it is the empty one so Porky isn't in it. Porky in Smash could be a promotion for Mother 3 finally getting localized in the west.

They sold Corrin in Smash 4, so they definitely could sell somebody like Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, or Elma if they want too.

Where you came up with that? If anything other than Smash, he should return to his own franchise before appearing again in another Mario spin off tit

Reggie did say at the Game Awards that Joker would reflect on what the rest of the fighters in the Season Pass might be.
If Joker reflects the rest of the DLC, how Porky can be likely just because he doesn't have have a png?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Porky isn't a anime like character, but he is somebody nobody expects.
You couldn't get me more wrong even if you tried. I wasn't talking about aesthetics, I was talking about how a new third party breakout star has anything common with an old villain from a finished franchise.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You couldn't get me more wrong even if you tried. I wasn't talking about aesthetics, I was talking about how a new third party breakout star has anything common with an old villain from a finished franchise.
I am not comparing Porky to Joker, I'm just saying nobody expects him.

Edit: Reggie also said that the fighters in the Season Pass are characters nobody is expecting.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I am not comparing Porky to Joker, I'm just saying nobody expects him.
Aside from Spirit speculators, you mean.

Anyway, there are a lot of unexpected characters, why specifically Porky? "He doesn't have a Spirit" is a very weak argument.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Aside from Spirit speculators, you mean.

Anyway, there are a lot of unexpected characters, why specifically Porky? "He doesn't have a Spirit" is a very weak argument.
He is the only Subspace boss that doesn't have a spirit and he is the co-antagonist of Mother 2/Earthbound and the main antagonist of Mother 3. Porky isn't iconic, he isn't popular, but he is definitely a contender to be the next villain that get's in the roster. Sakurai said in his last Famitsu interview that one of the reasons he added Piranha Plant was because he thought it would be too boring if all the characters were just good guys.

Edit: Subsapce? **** you auto-correct!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If/when Erdrick gets in, people will say "Now it's a better game than Jump Force!".

Which is sadly true, I overheard a customer say that JF sucks at the EB Games. Jump crossovers never reached the heights of Super/Ultimate Stars ever again.

He is the only Subsapce boss that doesn't have a spirit and he is the co-antagonist of Mother 2/Earthbound and the main antagonist of Mother 3. Porky isn't iconic, he isn't popular, but he is definitely a contender to be the next villain that get's in the roster. Sakurai said in his last Famitsu interview that one of the reasons he added Piranha Plant was because he thought it would be too boring if all the characters were just good guys.
Recently, a new theory came up in the Porky thread: since Wario lost his color palette with Porky's colors, it apparently prevented Porky from having any spirit battles.

Also, technically, I believe he meant not just adding characters with a heroic build. :ulticeclimbers: are definitely heroes, but you wouldn't say they have a standard heroic build. Not to mention oddballs like :ultduckhunt:.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
He is the only Subsapce boss that doesn't have a spirit and he is the co-antagonist of Mother 2/Earthbound and the main antagonist of Mother 3. Porky isn't iconic, he isn't popular, but he is definitely a contender to be the next villain that get's in the roster. Sakurai said in his last Famitsu interview that one of the reasons he added Piranha Plant was because he thought it would be too boring if all the characters were just good guys.
Yet all Smash 4 DLC after Mewtwo were good guys. A random character won't seem great on paid DLC, free bonus is a different issue.

I personally think every fighter pass character will be like Joker: Popular on their own and coming from games that made an impact.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yet all Smash 4 DLC after Mewtwo were good guys. A random character won't seem great on paid DLC, free bonus is a different issue.

I personally think every fighter pass character will be like Joker: Popular on their own and coming from games that made an impact.
That's your opinion. You don't know what Nintendo could be thinking.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well one thing for sure is wednesday can't come soon enough, we spun around in circles to the point that we'd produce enough energy to power an entire city block. This month needs news, naow, it's looking dead without any Nintendo releases in the horizon until Crafted World next month.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well one thing for sure is wednesday can't come soon enough, we spun around in circles to the point that we'd produce enough energy to power an entire city block. This month needs news, naow, it's looking dead without any Nintendo releases in the horizon until Crafted World next month.
I can see Sakurai not saying anything until E3 to be honest. We might go crazy, but that could definitely be the reality of it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can see Sakurai not saying anything until E3 to be honest. We might go crazy, but that could definitely be the reality of it.
I hope to afford buying a Switch before that point, getting off the loonie express for a while would help make the wait be more tolerable.

On the bright side, at least it could get the fake leakers to throw their arms and give up, even that shill LaxChris.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I hope to afford buying a Switch before that point, getting off the loonie express for a while would help make the wait be more tolerable.

On the bright side, at least it could get the fake leakers to throw their arms and give up, even that shill LaxChris.
You don't have a Switch yet? Well, you're in for a treat when you get one that's for sure. ;)

Edit: Yeah, it would be nice if that guy would leave Smash alone.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm still trying to hold on to the fact that no one leaked Joker or even Piranha Plant (not counting the 4chan post), but directly after his reveal they suddenly know the next two characters? Then tell us why you didn't know about Joker then but know about characters that would have just barely started development at the point of Joker's reveal. .

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Polar only has said in the past that she trusts that Xenother only got said information from his source, not that she believes the source's info.
Yeah. Basically, it's more like this: in terms of the other leakers Polar is in cahoots with (for lack of better word and because I love the word 'cahoots' — it's funny and cute), she trusts that they're not lying and they're relaying their information accurately from their sources. Does it mean the information is accurate? Could be, could not be, and that's not Xenother's, Vergeben's, etc. fault.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
do you think Nintendo would want to limit their choices to their own stuff if they're aspiring to something like that?
No, but I don’t think they should limit their choices to just third party stuff either.

Nintendo still has a lot of characters from critically acclaimed and successful games, so it’s not like they don’t belong in the biggest crossover.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Just because everyone is saying it's Dragon quest doesn't mean it is, if you guys remember that square Dragon quest, because square is strict with leaks and makes perfect leak bait Dragon quest aka Erdrick. So he could be easily leak bait. However square has been trying to make Dragon quest popular in the west, so i can see it happening. I'm still betting on Geno being in super smash bros ultimate if u ask me. Especially after all the piranha plant super Mario rpg references i think it's hints towards Geno in smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No, but I don’t think they should limit their choices to just third party stuff either.

Nintendo still has a lot of characters from critically acclaimed and successful games, so it’s not like they don’t belong in the biggest crossover.
Only issue is whether or not they'll use our logic and go "uh oh, they're a/an spirit/assist trophy/teacher/background character/Mii costume/item/bacon, better use someone that's not in the game".

Though this is nothing but pure conjecture based on a guy who said MY BODY IS READY and talks in public-relationese in the first place. I still think this pass will have at least one first-party somewhere in it. There isn't enough of a solid Smash DLC pattern to reliably tell how this will play out.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We might not get a first party among the fighter's pass. We might get one. That's about as much real information we have on the DLC design. The only reason to believe it's all 3rd party is because a 1st party is "expected", but the issue is there's tons of them, and no way to know how they're going about it enough. Are spirits actual disconfirmation, for example, would give us something to work with.

Other things to keep in mind is how Sakurai intends to implement a character. If he has an idea for someone, he may never change his mind(Dixie is one notable example of this, as her being a tag team may be the only reason he hasn't put her in the game yet, unable to make that mechanic work) either. Now, of course, making her an Echo or semi-clone might be a cool route too, but that only gets her in, not makes her fun or unique by design inherently.

Adding characters is cool. How you actually make them work is really important too. But to be fair, when it comes to speculation, not everybody cares about how the moveset is implemented(and that's fine, it's not like it's their job to come up with a moveset. They aren't making the game, after all).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom