• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

How you actually make them work is really important too. But to be fair, when it comes to speculation, not everybody cares about how the moveset is implemented(and that's fine, it's not like it's their job to come up with a moveset. They aren't making the game, after all).
Yeah, I don't really care too much about how my most wanted characters' movesets lol.

I can even wait to play as them. I would just need to know if they are in the game lmao

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I still don't understand where people are getting all the things in Erdrick's favor from.. Its the vague brave code name and people claiming he's in. I wouldn't really call that a lot in his favor.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I don't really care too much about how my most wanted characters' movesets lol.

I can even wait to play as them. I would just need to know if they are in the game lmao
That's fair. I used to not care as much, but I didn't originally enjoy how Wario played either. But I also have started developing games myself and learned to appreciate these types of things. It's why stuff like "unique moveset" can be more important than people realize.

But being this game is character-driven, the moveset alone shouldn't be expected for people to care. Hence why many Echoes get tons of praise cause the character is in. Dark Samus, Chrom, Daisy, etc.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, everything Polar showed me showed that King Zell was a good guy with his only goof in the last year being the N64 Classic. Supposedly people have been harassing him hard as of late and I feel a little guilty sharing what he said on Resetera on here because of it. Honestly, he's probably right about his statements anyways because the only thing he's said that that nobody else has hinted at is Boxboy on the Switch but, seriously, who would?
Ehhh, that's on Zell, not you. He's the one who gave the info and he takes the responsibility. If he's getting hounded for his info, well, he could have just not said anything. You open yourself up when you do that. If he didn't want the attention, then he shouldn't have brought it towards him.

D

Deleted member

That's fair. I used to not care as much, but I didn't originally enjoy how Wario played either. But I also have started developing games myself and learned to appreciate these types of things. It's why stuff like "unique moveset" can be more important than people realize.

But being this game is character-driven, the moveset alone shouldn't be expected for people to care. Hence why many Echoes get tons of praise cause the character is in. Dark Samus, Chrom, Daisy, etc.
I agree.

Also develop SMRPG 2 pls :4pacman:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What if Mallow was instead the name passed around all the leakers
I'd be overjoyed. I'd honestly love either of the two in Smash. Mallow also has amazing move set potential and is the cutest little button ever. I want them both, but I know that's a farfetched dream. Geno's popularity is far more substantial, so it's just more logical to believe that Geno actually stands a chance based on his fan demand. Otherwise, I'd probably be #TeamMallow.

D

Deleted member

I'd be overjoyed. I'd honestly love either of the two in Smash. Mallow also has amazing move set potential and is the cutest little button ever. I want them both, but I know that's a farfetched dream. Geno's popularity is far more substantial, so it's just more logical to believe that Geno actually stands a chance based on his fan demand. Otherwise, I'd probably be #TeamMallow.
The funny thing is that, in SMRPG, I like Mallow as a character more than Geno.

But, for Smash, I want Geno more.

I was also thinking that it would be really cool to see Mallow as a Piranha Plant character with Geno as one of the 5 DLC characters in wave 1. Unlikely though lol

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The funny thing is that, in SMRPG, I like Mallow as a character more than Geno.

But, for Smash, I want Geno more.

I was also thinking that it would be really cool to see Mallow as a Piranha Plant character with Geno as one of the 5 DLC characters in wave 1. Unlikely though lol
You know, it's kinda funny. I prefer Mallow in the game, as well, but the amount of unused potential Geno has as a character is huge. Mallow got an arc, but Geno was skipped out on anything beyond the bare bones plot. When it comes to lore, his duty, how tied to it he is, what conflicts could arise from that, etc., I think there's plenty of room for exploring and expanding his character.

It's even more amusing to me that I used to absolutely hate Geno. I mean, I'd just roll my eyes and scoff whenever I even saw the little guy. What a change I've made since those days.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It helps that Mallow gets outright character development. It makes it easier for you to understand the character beyond simply being "cool". Geno is still cool, but he's kept simple and doesn't change much. Mallow changes a lot and grows as a person. We all grow as people, so characters with development tend to be easier to connect to.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It helps that Mallow gets outright character development. It makes it easier for you to understand the character beyond simply being "cool". Geno is still cool, but he's kept simple and doesn't change much. Mallow changes a lot and grows as a person. We all grow as people, so characters with development tend to be easier to connect to.
Exactly. I think that's part of why I started to fall for Geno as a character because of the potential he has, and when I started building my own ideas for future projects involving him, I realized... dang. The amount of stuff they could have done for him is immense. I would go into detail about my ideas on this ridiculously large, overarching character development I have for my interpretation of Geno, but it's unwarranted and this isn't the time or place for it. (Granted, I'd love any excuse to prattle on about my ideas, haha!)

D

Deleted member

You know, it's kinda funny. I prefer Mallow in the game, as well, but the amount of unused potential Geno has as a character is huge. Mallow got an arc, but Geno was skipped out on anything beyond the bare bones plot. When it comes to lore, his duty, how tied to it he is, what conflicts could arise from that, etc., I think there's plenty of room for exploring and expanding his character.

It's even more amusing to me that I used to absolutely hate Geno. I mean, I'd just roll my eyes and scoff whenever I even saw the little guy. What a change I've made since those days.
I agree. I also especially love the personality SMRPG gave Bowser. He was really funny in the game, and I loved seeing him, Mario, and Peach team up.

Another funny thing in SMRPG is that I always saw Mario smiling. It was probably because of his mustache.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Are we ready for the backlash if they reveal Erdrick?

More importantly, is Nintendo ready?

Honestly, I have no idea how they couldn't know that Erdrick would not go down well: he's not even heavily requested by the only nation that loves him, KH3 has so far outsold DQXI both in the US and worldwide, and once the public realizes that Sakurai worked so much magic to get Erdrick in what with dealing with Square, Armor, Bird Studios and Akira Toriyama, a defunct company AND an overall unpleasant person named Sugiyama to get in a character almost no one asked for instead of characters requested for years AND most of Ultimate's audience (which is the West) won't even know who this character is?

People will not be happy, HOOOO buddy. To quote Travis from Alpharad vids 'HOOOOOO boy howdy!'

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Honestly, I have no idea how they couldn't know that Erdrick would not go down well: he's not even heavily requested by the only nation that loves him, KH3 has so far outsold DQXI both in the US and worldwide, and once the public realizes that Sakurai worked so much magic to get Erdrick in what with dealing with Square, Armor, Bird Studios and Akira Toriyama, a defunct company AND an overall unpleasant person named Sugiyama to get in a character almost no one asked for instead of characters requested for years AND most of Ultimate's audience (which is the West) won't even know who this character is?

People will not be happy, HOOOO buddy. To quote Travis from Alpharad vids 'HOOOOOO boy howdy!'
Yeaaaah, as much as I feel Erdrick deserves his spot and I'd be hugely happy for his fans, I don't foresee the reaction going over so well. Even though I'm not for the 'anime swordsman' disdain in Smash, it exists, and people will use that as ammo. On top of the fact that the character isn't a fan-demanded character like Sora or Geno, too, will also have people fuming. Unless they introduce Erdrick with some other kind of Square rep teased as misc. DLC or as something else down the line, I really doubt it's going to go over that well. It's going to be three factions here:

Faction 1: "This guy looks like Goku! Wow! That's cool!" or something or another. Basically, casual fans who don't know who he is, but will be enticed anyway.
Faction 2: "Who is this? Why is he here? He's from Square? What about Geno/Sora/Sephiroth/Space Invader/Pingu? This is horrible!" Basically, people who either don't know who he is or know who he is, but don't care. It'll either be neutral reactions or absolutely awful reactions in here. Most of this and the first will be in the West and other such territories where DQ isn't nearly as big of a deal.
Faction 3: "Hell yes, Dragon Quest! AMAZING!" A large amount of the East will be in this faction, but not quite as much in the West.

NoJ won't have to suffer from this, more than likely, which makes this kinda irritating. It makes me feel bad for NoA, because if there's going to be huge backlash, they're going to be the ones getting it in spades. I can already imagine the angry phone calls (which I REALLY discourage, PLEASE don't do that). Brr...

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yeaaaah, as much as I feel Erdrick deserves his spot and I'd be hugely happy for his fans, I don't foresee the reaction going over so well. Even though I'm not for the 'anime swordsman' disdain in Smash, it exists, and people will use that as ammo. On top of the fact that the character isn't a fan-demanded character like Sora or Geno, too, will also have people fuming. Unless they introduce Erdrick with some other kind of Square rep teased as misc. DLC or as something else down the line, I really doubt it's going to go over that well. It's going to be three factions here:

Faction 1: "This guy looks like Goku! Wow! That's cool!" or something or another. Basically, casual fans who don't know who he is, but will be enticed anyway.
Faction 2: "Who is this? Why is he here? He's from Square? What about Geno/Sora/Sephiroth/Space Invader/Pingu? This is horrible!" Basically, people who either don't know who he is or know who he is, but don't care. It'll either be neutral reactions or absolutely awful reactions in here. Most of this and the first will be in the West and other such territories where DQ isn't nearly as big of a deal.
Faction 3: "Hell yes, Dragon Quest! AMAZING!" A large amount of the East will be in this faction, but not quite as much in the West.

NoJ won't have to suffer from this, more than likely, which makes this kinda irritating. It makes me feel bad for NoA, because if there's going to be huge backlash, they're going to be the ones getting it in spades. I can already imagine the angry phone calls (which I REALLY discourage, PLEASE don't do that). Brr...
Once more, it's entirely possible Erdrick isn't "Brave". As the datamined stats painted a completely different character and archetype that doesn't fit any of the DQ main heroes, we have to keep that distinct possibility in mind. After all, it's a bit off so many of these insiders are willing to go all in on this depite the datamining contradicting their claims.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I would imagine just the sells from the East alone would be enticing enough. Enticing enough to where not a single person in the west would have to buy the Dragon Quest rep and Nintendo of Japan would still see it as a profitable endeavor.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You're describing the general reactions to any newcomer. I think we're really overblowing how negatively Dragon Quest is going to be accepted in the west. For one, there's always another newcomer. Two, he could be very fun. You've probably already heard my kind of argument before, but I've heard your kinds of comments before too. All I can say at this point is "Eh." It's not the end of the world. Even if they put someone like Sephiroth or Sora in (who would be my least favorite SE inclusions), it's not like I get nothing from their inclusion over someone else. Some disappointment or confusion isn't gonna kill the series. If we got over the November 1st direct, we can suck this up too.

I would imagine just the sells from the East alone would be enticing enough. Enticing enough to where not a single person in the west would have to buy the Dragon Quest rep and Nintendo of Japan would still see it as a profitable endeavor.
Nintendo is making a net profit no matter who makes it in. Plus this builds more interest in Dragon Quest as a series over here. It's actually pretty cool. If Smash isn't introducing you to new series, then what is it supposed to be doing?

Well, it has to be fun, but Smash is always doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Nintendo is making a net profit no matter who makes it in. Plus this builds more interest in Dragon Quest as a series over here. It's actually pretty cool. If Smash isn't introducing you to new series, then what is it supposed to be doing?

Well, it has to be fun, but Smash is always doing that.
A lot of people still want to play as characters they actually know. It wouldn't be that fun of a fighter pass for a whole lot of people if every fighter was just to be a promotional unknown that tells people to go play other games.

If kind of why people keep suggesting slime. He is recognizable by people that haven't even heard of Dragon Quest.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A lot of people still want to play as characters they actually know. It wouldn't be that fun of a fighter pass for a whole lot of people if every fighter with just to be promotional.
If you don't see anything promotional over third party inclusion, I don't know what else to say. It's literally the entire point for companies to include their characters. It was a point for Ryu. It was a point for Cloud. It would be a point for Erdrick. Inclusion is inherently promotional.

A lot of factors come down to playing a character. Could be nostalgia, could be because they're so well represented, could be because of tiers, could be because they're really fun or funny to play as, could be because they look attractive. I don't deny how much people want to play as a certain character because of nostalgia, but this is the same game where we have over 70+ characters with seemingly dead returning veterans like Snake and Cloud. You're bound to already have a character you enjoy anyways.

I possibly would have chosen someone I like more over Erdrick, but the same literally applies to Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta, and even Joker. Hell, it'd be great if we could personally choose the entire cast for the game. If I kept thinking like that, though, I probably would stop liking Smash Bros. Sounds pretty unenjoyable and counter-intuitive to what gets me into the series.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daleaka

Smash Rookie
I don't think that bomberman and waluigi will come since they're assist trophies

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I agree that the backlash will be huge. I mean personally; If Erdrick is the Square rep, I'm planning on disliking the trailer. I strongly encourage anyone who feels similarly to take this action too. I think it would be the most direct way to display the utter disappointment.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

Assuming he even is in the game, I think the cheers from fans and indifference from others will likely drown out the backlash unlike with Corrin.

Especially if they make Erdrick as unique as he can be.

Ingenious!

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2810-4113-1684
Switch FC
SW 8436 9508 1692
Sup geno fam! I just got the BEST SHIRT which arrived some time ago!

AAAA! I LOVE IT SO MUCH! Also, I'm prepared but..the first week is gonna be sad if it is Erdrick but maybe if I wear this shirt at the direct maybe itll be geno instead?

D

Deleted member

I'm prepared but..the first week is gonna be sad if it is Erdrick but maybe if I wear this shirt at the direct maybe itll be geno instead?
"Sakurai-san, what are you doing to the code for Erdrick?"
"Someone wore the shirt. It is time to change everything!"

Ovaltine

Smash Master
AAAA! I LOVE IT SO MUCH! Also, I'm prepared but..the first week is gonna be sad if it is Erdrick but maybe if I wear this shirt at the direct maybe itll be geno instead?
Honestly, I wish they would just give us both. Have Erdrick in the pass and have Geno as separate, misc. DLC. Maybe you can buy Erdrick and Geno for a deal, or if you have Fighter's Pass already pre-purchased, you could get Geno as a free bonus. It'd definitely soften the blow of an Eastern-catering character that most of the west won't really care about. We get a fan favorite that is beloved worldwide and we get Erdrick. Along with that, Square gets even more money, their favorite thing in the world. It's a winning deal all around,

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Honestly, I wish they would just give us both. Have Erdrick in the pass and have Geno as separate, misc. DLC. Maybe you can buy Erdrick and Geno for a deal, or if you have Fighter's Pass already pre-purchased, you could get Geno as a free bonus. It'd definitely soften the blow of an Eastern-catering character that most of the west won't really care about. We get a fan favorite that is beloved worldwide and we get Erdrick. Along with that, Square gets even more money, their favorite thing in the world. It's a winning deal all around,
It never fails to irk me how stupid Square is, when they love money so much. Newsflash: You aren't gonna put Geno to use anywhere else. Just lease him out for sweet Smash Cash. I'm putting myself in a purely "business" mindset, and even still they haven't done it yet! They could at least be GOOD at milking their properties. But they can't even do that right.

Last edited:

Ingenious!

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2810-4113-1684
Switch FC
SW 8436 9508 1692
"Sakurai-san, what are you doing to the code for Erdrick?"
"Someone wore the shirt. It is time to change everything!"
LOL, you can thank me later if he gets in cause I'm so doing it now >:). (Someone Screencap this in case it happens butitwont)
Though yea, I wish we could just get both for the best of both worlds but that's in a perfect world :¨)

D

Deleted member

This video is now what canonically happened to Geno and nobody can tell me otherwise

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
This video is now what canonically happened to Geno and nobody can tell me otherwise
This actually matches my headcanon for how Piranha Plant got invited pretty much perfectly.
...well, minus all the scantily clad women, anyway.

D

Deleted member

This actually matches my headcanon for how Piranha Plant got invited pretty much perfectly.
...well, minus all the scantily clad women, anyway.
don't pretend sexy ridley wasn't subconsciously in your headcanon from day one

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

You’re really in for a loop if that’s what you expect. It’s not like Erdrick has a hatebase like Corrin. Who would be so angry at his inclusion? From what I’ve seen Sora fans made peace with his inclusion, and so have Geno fans (barring maybe one or two). Who would be the driving force of the backlash?

A lot of people still want to play as characters they actually know. It wouldn't be that fun of a fighter pass for a whole lot of people if every fighter was just to be a promotional unknown that tells people to go play other games.

If kind of why people keep suggesting slime. He is recognizable by people that haven't even heard of Dragon Quest.
Erdrick may be a total unknown, but Dragon Quest certainly isn’t. You have that Smash Bros. X Dragon Quest at the end and people will understand who they’re playing as.

I don’t see how Erdrick would be a promotional pick regardless, unless there’s a remake of DQI through III that I haven’t heard of.

This was painful to watch. And also fun. I didn’t know that was possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom