• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
From what I’ve seen Sora fans made peace with his inclusion, and so have Geno fans (barring maybe one or two)
I wouldn't really call it making peace. More, giving up and just accepting it. It doesn't mean they will be happy with his inclusion.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
That's the definition of making peace.
I still don't think it's the right word but, I guess it's more of a personal thing. I would consider making peace to be you fully accept it and you are alright with it. Most people even now aren't alright with it. But there is no other choice then to just accept it because there is no point in fighting it anymore until we are shown otherwise.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I wouldn't really call it making peace. More, giving up and just accepting it. It doesn't mean they will be happy with his inclusion.
Tomato, tomahto. There’s a difference between ‘I like this, but would have preferred another character’, ‘I don’t like this but whatever’, and ‘I hate this, honestly this is a terrible choice Sakurai’.

I can’t see many people reasonably going for the last one, given DQ’s legendary status.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Althought that also works in the same way (for example in Tropical Freeze, he could still be a rival in challenge event even if he's not the main antagonist for that time), I only focus on that Mario series offers more chances for a playable KingKRool if we simply count its amount of titles by year.
Retro wanted to make him a secret boss in Tropical Freeze, but Nintendo denied their request. The reason why is because Sakurai wanted dips on bringing K. Rool back. Here is a post by BKupa666 the guy running the K. Rool thread about that: https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451/

This video is now what canonically happened to Geno and nobody can tell me otherwise
Timmy's Dad: DINGLEBURG!!!

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You're describing the general reactions to any newcomer. I think we're really overblowing how negatively Dragon Quest is going to be accepted in the west. For one, there's always another newcomer. Two, he could be very fun. You've probably already heard my kind of argument before, but I've heard your kinds of comments before too. All I can say at this point is "Eh." It's not the end of the world. Even if they put someone like Sephiroth or Sora in (who would be my least favorite SE inclusions), it's not like I get nothing from their inclusion over someone else. Some disappointment or confusion isn't gonna kill the series. If we got over the November 1st direct, we can suck this up too.

Nintendo is making a net profit no matter who makes it in. Plus this builds more interest in Dragon Quest as a series over here. It's actually pretty cool. If Smash isn't introducing you to new series, then what is it supposed to be doing?

Well, it has to be fun, but Smash is always doing that.
You’re really in for a loop if that’s what you expect. It’s not like Erdrick has a hatebase like Corrin. Who would be so angry at his inclusion? From what I’ve seen Sora fans made peace with his inclusion, and so have Geno fans (barring maybe one or two). Who would be the driving force of the backlash?

Erdrick may be a total unknown, but Dragon Quest certainly isn’t. You have that Smash Bros. X Dragon Quest at the end and people will understand who they’re playing as.

I don’t see how Erdrick would be a promotional pick regardless, unless there’s a remake of DQI through III that I haven’t heard of.
I don't think we are overblowing it at all. Remember, the effort that has to be put in to get Erdrick specifically is much more than any of the other reps that have been requested for, like Sora or Geno or Crono or Sephiroth. Hell even Slime takes less work because as far as I know, that skips out Bird Studios and Akira Toriyama and makes it a smidge easier, but even if it takes the same amount of work Slime is actually requested by Japanese Smash fans and would be more accepted worldwide than Erdrick. Only those of us who have being in the leak scene really know about how the differences in difficulty between Erdrick and any other more requested rep, but what happens if Erdrick is release and the public gets wind of how difficult it would have been and yet they took priority and handed it to Erdrick instead of characters that we have asked for?

You act like us fans of other characters have accepted this, but we haven't: we still want our favorites in Smash, it's just that our being in this kind of community makes us more in the know of possible outcomes. If Erdrick makes it into the game and fan favorites do not, we will not be happy. We'll accept it, because we have to, but to think we won't have something to say about it to both NoA and NoJ you'd be crazy. Just because we will accept Erdrick if he is revealed doesn't mean we accept defeat in our favorite getting in or that Erdrick is an acceptable stand in their stead.

Now imagine those who don't follow leakers daily, who don't have inside information, who are wondering peacefully unaware of the possible evidence behind certain inclusions. How many of us knew who Erdrick was before we talked about leaks? If we are honest, a lot of us didn't know about him and learned about him via discussion and googling, and people outside of this circle are incredibly less likely to know about him. Then what about the masses of fans who have no clue who Erdrick is? How do you think they will react if Erdrick gets revealed? Do you think they will be happy about it? Do you think they will be upset that 'another anime swordsman' made it into the roster? You think that they won't be disappointed or upset that a character they've never heard of got in over those they've asked for and posted on social media about for years? Then what happens when those of us in the know see their posts and share what we have known, like for example how much extra effort needed to be put in to get Erdrick over any of the others everyone asked for, or how even Japanese Smash fans would rather have Slime over Erdrick and even then they want Sora and Banjo and Geno more...do you think they will remain silent?

Now of course I don't imagine they will cult-up and start rioting in the streets, but they won't just bend over and take it either. People will be anywhere from disappointed to pissed off and no amount of cool moveset can fix that, as Corrin clearly proves. I'm not going to tussle over how well known DQ is here in the West because we all know it's minuscule even if DQXI sold roughly 2 mil over here. Out of all the gamers in the US, only 2 mil vs the insane numbers Smash has sold means that there is more likely Smash fans who don't know about DQ/Erdrick than those who do.

If you look at the past examples and how hyped this game was to be the biggest Smash of all and add up all the facts, it's obvious that Erdrick would only be well-received in Japan and by mostly casuals of the game which is their smallest demographic, whereas Erdrick would be horribly received in the West by the majority of Smash's fanbase which is where they make most of their sales. This is one of the reasons that Sakurai stuck to returning veterans, characters with global iconic appeal, and those who are loved by all instead of by just one nation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I forgot to address how Erdrick is a promotional/marketing/shill pick.

This is easy: DQ still isn't the success that it is in Japan, and Japanese companies are rather strict on meeting sales expectations. Now clearly there was a surge in the West as DQXI has sold better here in the States than ever (or so I've been told) and if Square wanted to capitalize on this there is no better way to advertise your character on a Nintendo console than to get them into Smash, and as DLC you get some consistent dough on the side no less. This could also be a way to further reunite Nintendo and Square and bring about better business ventures in the future. I've HEARD that Erdrick is actually in DQXI but if he isn't he may be added into DQXI Deluxe and if not there, he can still advertise the next DQ game to the West.

When you take into account the obvious business advantages and combine them with the fact that Erdrick is one of the least requested characters for Smash, and you have a formula for 'Erdrick is a shill pick, **** Nintendo if he gets in' on your hands.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can't wait for the Geno mii costume to come back haha....

Oh who am I kidding? It's just not the same as a fully fledged playable Geno :(

MattX20

Smash Hero
CHRIST, once again with the mood swings! Have we not gone over how the stats from the datamine have greatly implied it is a character that isn't fitting of Erdrick's description, especially among insiders? We should be a little more optimistic, not giving into despair like this right now.

D

Deleted member

CHRIST, once again with the mood swings! Have we not gone over how the stats from the datamine have greatly implied it is a character that isn't fitting of Erdrick's description, especially among insiders? We should be a little more optimistic, not giving into despair like this right now.
I'm not even guessing Erdrick though, I'm just starting to think Geno won't be in and we'll get the mii costume instead

D

Deleted member

Now of course I don't imagine they will cult-up and start rioting in the streets, but they won't just bend over and take it either. People will be anywhere from disappointed to pissed off and no amount of cool moveset can fix that, as Corrin clearly proves..
This is really the only part worth actually replying to because
1) This is what I'm saying. I bet there will be people who do not like Erdrick for one reason or another. No ****. However, yeah people will bend over or just not buy it. (Lots of people will buy it; don't even delude yourself on that.) What you describe in your long winded post is the natural human feeling of disappointment. We all face it when we get a newcomer we're indifferent to. Remember how Isabelle initially had people against her inclusion during the hype cycle? We got Waluigi as a meme when he was deconfirmed off the bat as a general example. Erdrick making it in will not prevent people from hating whoever else gets in. They would have done it for Sora, they would have done it for Sephiroth, they would have done it for Geno. No one gives a **** about newcomers. They only give a **** about who doesn't make it in, and people will ***** no matter what. Erdrick is the target because he's considered the most likely. If people ended up getting over Piranha Plant, then they'll certainly get over Erdrick. If they hold a grudge for the rest of Ultimate's cycle, then man I'm happy with where I am in life.
2) People did open up to Corrin because she had a unique moveset. No one buys Corrin because of her personality, let me tell you that. Even FE Fates fans don't really care about Corrin as a character. If you think the response to Erdrick will be a train wreck, my response is simply the Smash community is a train wreck. In the long run, Erdrick will pull out, which is my point. Every newcomer wins their war for acceptance unless they end up being the overpowered meme. It's common sense just by looking back at Smash 4. Corrin is actually a good example of how "bad" DLC can still be appreciated.

Will Erdrick be hated by people? Yeah, I don't doubt it. Will it matter? Hell no. He'll make his own positive impact.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
This video is now what canonically happened to Geno and nobody can tell me otherwise
Poor Geno... he was so close to paradise... I mean, who wouldn't want to be with their daddy? Geno was so close to being with Daddy Sakurai. :(

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Is it really being in Despair? Sorry but what the actual ****?

Thinking that Brave is Erdrick isn't pessimistic, and it doesn't mean Geno can't came in some way or another. I think you're the pessimistic here but meh, drop it already.

ZelDan

Smash Master
if Erdrick gets in, I don't think he'll get much more hate compared to that of some others.

Is the "generic anime swordfighter" complaint even that prevelant outside of the Smash circle?

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Add in Mario or DK and we have a match of the classic's! Heck, maybe we could get Konami to put in Frogger as well...
I would LOVE Frogger. I played the arcade and the SNES port as a kid. It's such a repetitive game, but it was so challenging. Kind of reminds me of the Donkey Kong arcade game, which I also loved.

Although, I can't really tell if Frogger is this glaring omission in smash that I make it out to be or if his contribution to gaming isn't as major as I thought. From what I understand Frogger is pretty darn historical, but idk...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
only 2 mil vs the insane numbers Smash has sold means that there is more likely Smash fans who don't know about DQ/Erdrick than those who do.
2mil is more than so many characters have sold and people still know those. When Joker was announced, did people hate on him because they didn’t know Persona? No? Then neither will they hate Dragon Quest, which is also a way better known IP.
I've HEARD that Erdrick is actually in DQXI but if he isn't he may be added into DQXI Deluxe and if not there, he can still advertise the next DQ game to the West.
He is not and it wouldn’t canonically make sense for him to be. It sounds like you don’t really know the DQ lore. Erdrick is the title bestowed upon the hero of DQIII, and is referenced heavily in DQI and II. Not really a lot of room for him to pop up in XI. So calling him a promotional pick is like saying Cloud in Smash 4 was promotion for Final Fantasy XV. Not a strong connection to actually drive people to that product.

You make a lot of assumptions about the general public. People who aren’t ‘in the know’ are likelier not to care if X or Y gets in. Let’s pinpoint especially who it could be. Sora fans not in the know could just as well not consider Sora a Square Enix character, so Erdrick isn’t competition. Geno fans, well, they’re pretty much all in the know. Casual fans also don’t care about that anime swordfighter bull****. I’m not seeing any casual fans complaining about Erdrick.

And yo, I’m all for fan favorites. I think Smash Ultimate should have had a lot more of them. And hey, if Erdrick makes you unhappy, by all means, get loud about it, it’s the only way you’ll be heard. But also, think about if you actually have any reason to hate the character himself. As in, do you hate what he is, or just what he isn’t? ‘Cause there’s 75 characters that aren’t Geno as well, and I can think of reasons for most of them to be in Smash.

D

Deleted member

He is not and it wouldn’t canonically make sense for him to be.
Weeeelll...

Once you finish act 3 and get the true ending to the game, you see a woman closing up a book. A book that was presumably the story of The Luminary's journey in DQXI. She approaches a bedroom with a child in bed who's hair is sticking out from under the covers that looks like a certain hairdo of a certain child protagonist who's name is thrown around in a certain leak we've all been speculating for some time now. She calls him 'Cooee'(sp) and tries to get him out of bed and mentions something about it being a special/important day or whatever. Although all you see is his hair and nothing else, I'm like 110% confident that it's Erdrick. They even name drop him when Luminary, Serena and Veronica meets the Yggdragon as it dubs the MC 'Erdrick'.

The latter part of your comment is probably true though. Unless DQ11 is just a fictional story in the universe that Erdrick exists in. The true ending was kind of weird tbh and some things really made no sense.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
You act like us fans of other characters have accepted this, but we haven't: we still want our favorites in Smash, it's just that our being in this kind of community makes us more in the know of possible outcomes. If Erdrick makes it into the game and fan favorites do not, we will not be happy. We'll accept it, because we have to, but to think we won't have something to say about it to both NoA and NoJ you'd be crazy. Just because we will accept Erdrick if he is revealed doesn't mean we accept defeat in our favorite getting in or that Erdrick is an acceptable stand in their stead. .
To be fair, the roster is often about making different fans acceptable and of course a moneymaker in Nintendo's view. This forum has a list of great character suggestion, and obviously not all of them are gonna Smash. As long as unable to satisfy all fans, the results have to at least make sense for reasonable fans to accept.
Let's say 3rd parties inclusion is not a 100% welcomed system for Nintendo fans, but just when it comes down to DLC profits and slots for special guests, fans are getting used to this year by year.

Retro wanted to make him a secret boss in Tropical Freeze, but Nintendo denied their request. The reason why is because Sakurai wanted dips on bringing K. Rool back. Here is a post by BKupa666 the guy running the K. Rool thread about that: https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451/
Thanx for the info. To me it's hard to judge whether the introduction of snowmads is inapporpriate since they do relate to the theme of TF. As for the port, most likely a special boss in the extra levels if not making him a KingDedede-wise player.

Meanwhile, a third DK fighter is very much legit, just depends on which character would had possibly compete with KingKRool if not other main kongs, unless Nintendo tries to force promoting newer villains to replace him. Well, who knows. My complaint is more like not having more DK characters in Mario spinoffs in recent times.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Can't wait for the Geno mii costume to come back haha....

Oh who am I kidding? It's just not the same as a fully fledged playable Geno :(
Of course it's not, no Mii costume is the same as a playable character.

if Erdrick gets in, I don't think he'll get much more hate compared to that of some others.

Is the "generic anime swordfighter" complaint even that prevelant outside of the Smash circle?
Erdrick to a lot of people is ''He is going to take my favorite character's spot.'' Character. Besides those who are against his inclusion, those who don't see him as a threat or those who like Dragon Quest will welcome him with open arms.

Meanwhile, a third DK fighter is very much legit, just depends on which character would had possibly compete with KingKRool if not other main kongs, unless Nintendo tries to force promoting newer villains to replace him.
I'm sure K. Rool is going to return as the main antagonist of DK again, but forever and if they did kept replacing K. Rool in future games, no other DK villain will ever be as popular and iconic as K. Rool I'll tell you that.

Well, who knows. My complaint is more like not having more DK characters in Mario spinoffs in recent times.
K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky, and Funky should all be in the Mario spin off games since Diddy keeps appearing in them.

Edit: Funky was in Mario Kart Wii and the rest of the DK crew, K. Rool and the Kremlings were all in Super Mario Super Sluggers. But still, they should return to the Mario spin offs.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think he has a boring design, I am sick of anime inspired human characters (Smash 4 was nothing BUT them), I don't know who he is, I have 0% interest in Dragon Quest and another person who uses a sword is one of the last characters we need. There are plenty of legit reasons for not wanting Erdrick . People seem to be getting this idea that People who don't want him only don't want him because it's going to take Sora's, Chrono and Geno's spot away.

It's like when people assume the only people that hated incineroar's inclusion only hated it because of the Grinch leak. When most people hated him when he was first leaked back when Sun and Moon was announced.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I’m still trying to hold out that tiny glimmer of hope that it could still be geno. On the chance it isn’t, I’ll at least try to be thankful that we can use mii fighters in random mode now, on top of the fact that all mii fighters are better than in 4.

But I definitely won’t be happy, and his deconfirm would ensure I don’t buy the fighter pass, and probably won’t sign up for a consistent sub to Nintendo’s online scam service l.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not even guessing Erdrick though, I'm just starting to think Geno won't be in and we'll get the mii costume instead
I'd be fine with it if neither of the two made it in, I'm not that fussy over character picks. :drshrug:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I’m still trying to hold out that tiny glimmer of hope that it could still be geno. On the chance it isn’t, I’ll at least try to be thankful that we can use mii fighters in random mode now, on top of the fact that all mii fighters are better than in 4.

But I definitely won’t be happy, and his deconfirm would ensure I don’t buy the fighter pass, and probably won’t sign up for a consistent sub to Nintendo’s online scam service l.
Haaa, that's implying Square will be kind enough to give us the Mii costume back. :drshrug:

D

Deleted member

I think he has a boring design, I am sick of anime inspired human characters (Smash 4 was nothing BUT them), I don't know who he is, I have 0% interest in Dragon Quest and another person who uses a sword is one of the last characters we need. There are plenty of legit reasons for not wanting Erdrick . People seem to be getting this idea that People who don't want him only don't want him because it's going to take Sora's, Chrono and Geno's spot away.

It's like when people assume the only people that hated incineroar's inclusion only hated it because of the Grinch leak. When most people hated him when he was first leaked back when Sun and Moon was announced.
And like Incineroar, people will open up to him if he is handled in a fun and endearing manner.

Personally, if you can't feel anything towards Erdrick's design, then that's alright. Designs can be pretty subjective. What hits you doesn't have to be what hits me or anyone else in this thread.

There are some lies here, though. The whole sword argument is overblown. Out of all of the 19 Smash 4 newcomers including miis, five of them predominantly use a sword, and they're all pretty unique. Robin uses magic, Shulk can buff himself and has obscene range with the closest thing we have to a lightsaber, Cloud is Cloud and that speak for himself, and Corrin can turn into a dragon and has stupid-looking acrobatics.

It's a ridiculous argument because if the weapon characters used defined what the character was, they wouldn't be characters. Let's not even count how many characters use their fists in Smash Bros because I'm sure the number is more gargantuan. If you boil it down to what weapon they're predominantly shown with, you're not really looking at what makes the character unique. This could also apply to Geno. We already have characters who fight with arm cannons, lasers, guns, and explosives. Therefore, Geno would not be unique. He would just be a wooden Megaman. That argument is superficial because Geno is unique. However, this is the same argument people are using for Erdrick. Now I hope you see my issue because of it.

Also:

I am sick of anime inspired human characters (Smash 4 was nothing BUT them)

D

Deleted member

And like Incineroar, people will open up to him if he is handled in a fun and endearing manner.

Personally, if you can't feel anything towards Erdrick's design, then that's alright. Designs can be pretty subjective. What hits you doesn't have to be what hits me or anyone else in this thread.

There are some lies here, though. The whole sword argument is overblown. Out of all of the 19 Smash 4 newcomers including miis, five of them predominantly use a sword, and they're all pretty unique. Robin uses magic, Shulk can buff himself and has obscene range with the closest thing we have to a lightsaber, Cloud is Cloud and that speak for himself, and Corrin can turn into a dragon and has stupid-looking acrobatics.

It's a ridiculous argument because if the weapon characters used defined what the character was, they wouldn't be characters. Let's not even count how many characters use their fists in Smash Bros because I'm sure the number is more gargantuan. If you boil it down to what weapon they're predominantly shown with, you're not really looking at what makes the character unique. This could also apply to Geno. We already have characters who fight with arm cannons, lasers, guns, and explosives. Therefore, Geno would not be unique. He would just be a wooden Megaman. That argument is superficial because Geno is unique. However, this is the same argument people are using for Erdrick. Now I hope you see my issue because of it.

Also:

He was just a boy you didn't need to murder him like that

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Using the word anime was a bad choice on my part. I meant just regular humans. I'm just so used to putting anime and human together while talking about smash. But that was a bit overboard don't you think? You could have just listed them out normally. Also I don't like swords because personally every person who uses a sword in smash I find incredibly boring.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As someone who loves DQ, I will welcome Erdrick with a smile on my face.

In regards to Geno, he could come in a possible second Fighter Pass. I also hope that Square makes a new Mario Basketball game featuring him. Square is in a good relationship with Nintendo these days, so it can happen.

D

Deleted member

Honestly the whole "sword users are generic and dumb" meme is so stupid

Looking at all the non-echo swordies really the only one who isn't super unique is Roy and even then you can't play him at all like any other swordie, and his moves only bear a slight resemblance to Marth. But try playing him like Marth and you'll find out the hard way that he's pretty ****ing unique.

I might be biased because of disjoint gang but honestly the meme needs to die

Ovaltine

Smash Master
As someone who loves DQ, I will welcome Erdrick with a smile on my face.

In regards to Geno, he could come in a possible second Fighter Pass. I also hope that Square makes a new Mario Basketball game featuring him. Square is in a good relationship with Nintendo these days, so it can happen.
Yeah, even with Erdrick in, it isn't over until it's over, so I personally wouldn't give up hope. It sucks as a Geno fan who doesn't like any other SE properties to see a different rep, yeah. Trust me, I know this well, guys. I also can't be sure if Erdrick is even going to be well-received overall in the west. There are arguments for and against that. That being said, I know he will make quite a few people happy, so I can at least accept it.

... I still think Slime would have been better, though. :mad088:

D

Deleted member

Using the word anime was a bad choice on my part. I meant just regular humans. I'm just so used to putting anime and human together while talking about smash...

Also I don't like swords because personally every person who uses a sword in smash I find incredibly boring.
But here is the tip of the iceburg that really just tells me you're being disingenuous. You have historically said you appreciated Joker's reveal in Smash Bros despite:
1) Being a realistically proportioned human, especially one that resembles anime.
2) He uses a knife, which is pretty much a short-sword by Smash Bros standards. Before anyone can say he'll use Personas and guns, I'll say Link uses bows, bombs, and boomerangs, Robin uses magic, and Corrin uses dragon genetics.

It's just preference at the end of the day, mate. I'm really sorry you can't feel Erdrick. There's always another fighter, though, if Erdrick even is in to begin with. Best of wishes.

LOL. What if we got Muk instead of Slime?

D

Deleted member

Yeah, even with Erdrick in, it isn't over until it's over, so I personally wouldn't give up hope. It sucks as a Geno fan who doesn't like any other SE properties to see a different rep, yeah. Trust me, I know this well, guys. I also can't be sure if Erdrick is even going to be well-received overall in the west. There are arguments for and against that. That being said, I know he will make quite a few people happy, so I can at least accept it.

It’s alright.

I am just fine with any Dragon Quest content in Smash.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
But here is the tip of the iceburg that really just tells me you're being disingenuous. You have historically said you appreciated Joker's reveal in Smash Bros despite:
1) Being a realistically proportioned human, especially one that resembles anime.
2) He uses a knife, which is pretty much a short-sword by Smash Bros standards. Before anyone can say he'll use Personas and guns, I'll say Link uses bows, bombs, and boomerangs, Robin uses magic, and Corrin uses dragon genetics.

It's just preference at the end of the day, mate. I'm really sorry you can't feel Erdrick. There's always another fighter, though, if Erdrick even is in to begin with. Best of wishes.
I actually didn't like Joker's reveal. By the time I came here I just more or less kind of accepted it. I didn't like how he was another human. But he basically acts and moves like a cartoon character in battle from what I've seen. So I thought it gave him some charm. And from recent leaks I've kinda accepted he might be the only character I would end up no disliking in the whole pass. I know I'm just digging myself deeper in the hole here but. It's more I just made peace with him.

D

Deleted member

I actually didn't like Joker's reveal. By the time I came here I just more or less kind of accepted it. I didn't like how he was another human. But he basically acts and moves like a cartoon character in battle from what I've seen. So I thought it gave him some charm. And from recent leaks I've kinda accepted he might be the only character I would end up no disliking in the whole pass. I know I'm just digging myself deeper in the hole here but. It's more I just made peace with him.
The only character I really dislike from that supposed leak is Doomguy.

I tried to like Doom because many forced me to do so... But I just can’t.
I wasted money with Doom 2016, because I haven’t touched that game in a long time. It wasn’t the coming of Christ that the internet told me it was, and I got bored of it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I wasted money with Doom 2016, because I haven’t touched that game in a long time. It wasn’t the coming of Christ that the internet told me it was, and I got bored of it.
Protip: don't buy into the pre-release hype of anything, go after a game on your own judgement a year or two after the fact when the dust has settled.

In any case, I doubt that particular leak, mainly because we'd somehow get two Western third-parties in one go when having just one is hard enough to even make it in the first place.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

I've never tried the 2016 Doom, but I grew up with the original and with Wolfenstein 3D, so I'm a bit biased when I say that Doomguy would be pretty sick music-wise. I don't see how his move set could be that interesting unless Sakurai took some huge liberties, though, which is my reservation there.

Honestly, though, I think the 5ch leak is a load of bull for multiple reasons. I do think we're getting Erdrick, but everything else is iffy to me, especially Steve. Given the inconsistencies that have been proven as a bunch of falsehoods (the Noatesty leak that was real vs. the Steve play-testing 'leak'), I feel I'm one of the few to think that Steve isn't going to be in. If he is, it'll be as a Mii costume or something, not a playable fighter. I even say this as someone who really wants Banjo and thinks his chances aren't great. Steve's not as likely as people seem to believe.

Ryu Hayabasa is meh. He's iconic, but that's about it. Big resounding meh for me along with Erdrick. Steve would also be boring (although move set-wise, he does have a lot of potential), and I'm kinda biased against him for multiple reasons, not just as a Banjo fan.

Then finally, we have Joker. If the leak is real beyond Joker and probably Erdrick, Joker's probably the only one I'll end up buying. I love Persona. Gimme that boy.

D

Deleted member

Protip: don't buy into the pre-release hype of anything, go after a game on your own judgement a year or two after the fact when the dust has settled.

In any case, I doubt that particular leak, mainly because we'd somehow get two Western third-parties in one go when having just one is hard enough to even make it in the first place.
Honestly the only time you should ever buy into pre-release hype is when you've played games from that series before and they're consistently good

D

Deleted member

I've never tried the 2016 Doom, but I grew up with the original and with Wolfenstein 3D, so I'm a bit biased when I say that Doomguy would be pretty sick music-wise. I don't see how his move set could be that interesting unless Sakurai took some huge liberties, though, which is my reservation there.

Honestly, though, I think the 5ch leak is a load of bull for multiple reasons. I do think we're getting Erdrick, but everything else is iffy to me, especially Steve. Given the inconsistencies that have been proven as a bunch of falsehoods (the Noatesty leak that was real vs. the Steve play-testing 'leak'), I feel I'm one of the few to think that Steve isn't going to be in. If he is, it'll be as a Mii costume or something, not a playable fighter. I even say this as someone who really wants Banjo and thinks his chances aren't great. Steve's not as likely as people seem to believe.

Ryu Hayabasa is meh. He's iconic, but that's about it. Big resounding meh for me along with Erdrick. Steve would also be boring (although move set-wise, he does have a lot of potential), and I'm kinda biased against him for multiple reasons, not just as a Banjo fan.

Then finally, we have Joker. If the leak is real beyond Joker and probably Erdrick, Joker's probably the only one I'll end up buying. I love Persona. Gimme that boy.
I agree that Doomguy would bring great music but the moveset would need to take certain liberties.
Steve mostly has my attention because of the Minecraft stage and Ryu Hayabusa is fine for me because of the AVGN.

The picks could be better, doh.

D

Deleted member

My brother called me into his room to show me Doom 2016. I knew the game was pretty liked, but I was interested. Immediately, I fell in love with the violent visual presentation and the brutal combat. It's a damn shame watching the game disorients me. Like I cannot play DOOM. I would love if we could get Doom Guy to just kick the Smash door down and chainsaw the **** out of everything with metal playing in the background of a Hell stage. It'd be hilarious, but it's probably not for everyone.

It's hard to say who I wouldn't like. I'll always get over what a character conceptually is because I'll always be making new memories with Smash Bros. Initially, I didn't like Piranha Plant or Lucas, but more time made them sink into my mind. Plus jokes I share with friends tend to outweigh how I didn't orgasm upon their reveal.

Otherwise, there are few hyped games that really made me play a game to the end. It comes down to preference and time.
Honestly the only time you should ever buy into pre-release hype is when you've played games from that series before and they're consistently good
Like Smash Bros. 'Ey!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I agree that Doomguy would bring great music but the moveset would need to take certain liberties.
Steve mostly has my attention because of the Minecraft stage and Ryu Hayabusa is fine for me because of the AVGN.

The picks could be better, doh.
Oh... oh no. Now I need to rewatch that episode! Nooooooo! :drfacepalm:

Gotta give my extremely biased opinion here, man: Being fine with Ryu Hayabusa because of the good ol' Nerd is a stellar reason to feel that way. I freaking love James and his work, AVGN or not.

D

Deleted member

Oh... oh no. Now I need to rewatch that episode! Nooooooo! :drfacepalm:

Gotta give my extremely biased opinion here, man: Being fine with Ryu Hayabusa because of the good ol' Nerd is a stellar reason to feel that way. I freaking love James and his work, AVGN or not.
It's totally a valid reason. I'm pretty sure the only reason I accepted Castlevania being in Smash Bros is because I watched Egoraptor and Somecallmejohnny in early high school.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
What annoys me is that if Erdrick doesn't get in, I think we'll see a good chunk of his support never talk about him again. Because I feel like a lot of the people gung ho about Erdrick right now are chasing the clout of "being correct" or actively trying to be counter culture, like you can see with a loud minority of the Steve fanbase. We're still gonna be fighting the fight and making a lot of noise for Geno if he doesn't get in, but if Erdrick doesn't get in... I doubt that you'd see the same continued support and passion. I feel like the bandwagoning in Smash is kind of gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom