• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd be fine with it if neither of the two made it in, I'm not that fussy over character picks. :drshrug:
Same here. But I'm positive we are going to get a 2nd SE character because of SE wanting to make Cloud DLC for a 2nd time. There is no way Sakurai was able to get Cloud in base without letting SE having 1 or 2 DLC characters in the Season Pass.

MattX20

Smash Hero
As cool as DoomGuy would be, he would be heavily softened up for his moveset, and unlike Bayonetta who got away relatively unscathed in terms of her moveset, Doom Guy is all about over the top violence and delivering gory demises to his enemies by gun or by fist. He'd be perfect for MK 11 though, his over the top violent behavior would fit like a glove.

D

Deleted member

What annoys me is that if Erdrick doesn't get in, I think we'll see a good chunk of his support never talk about him again. Because I feel like a lot of the people gung ho about Erdrick right now are chasing the clout of "being correct" or actively trying to be counter culture, like you can see with a loud minority of the Steve fanbase. We're still gonna be fighting the fight and making a lot of noise for Geno if he doesn't get in, but if Erdrick doesn't get in... I doubt that you'd see the same continued support and passion. I feel like the bandwagoning in Smash is kind of gross.
Not really.
I am all in for DQ stuff in Smash, and will keep supporting the idea in the future.

D

Deleted member

What annoys me is that if Erdrick doesn't get in, I think we'll see a good chunk of his support never talk about him again. Because I feel like a lot of the people gung ho about Erdrick right now are chasing the clout of "being correct" or actively trying to be counter culture, like you can see with a loud minority of the Steve fanbase. We're still gonna be fighting the fight and making a lot of noise for Geno if he doesn't get in, but if Erdrick doesn't get in... I doubt that you'd see the same continued support and passion. I feel like the bandwagoning in Smash is kind of gross.
Realistically, you probably just wont hear support as loudly as you do now because Erdrick is fairly relevant right now. A lot of people expected Geno or Sora to be the next Square Enix newcomer for good reasons. The idea of Dragon Quest being in Smash was buried because the Sora and Geno fans were the bigger topic of discussion. Now that Dragon Quest is in the scene, discussion is now leaning more towards him. It's like how the news stations in America reports issues constantly, and then those issues become the source of topic. Unlike those outlets where they actually do affect the personalities and culture of our nation, this is a video game and we're all here to have fun. At least I hope so.

No doubt there are people who think, "I expect Erdrick from all of the information we have and he looks alright from what I found out about him. Sure. I'll support him." That's leak culture in a nutshell and it's nothing to be angry over. That's exactly what we want people to say about Geno.

If Erdrick doesn't get announced, then support for him wouldn't just stop. We would just move onto who else is more relevant. Plus there will still be a nice and niche group of people who would still push for Dragon Quest on Smashboard, which perfectly describes the Geno thread. That also describes the Golden Sun thread, and the Bomberman thread, and the Advance Wars thread. Support doesn't die because it's deconfirmed. There's just less to talk about when it comes to support when they're not possible in the game anymore. It's kind of why we have to always ignore the "Spirits = Deconfirm" argument in this thread because it would kill discussion otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think judging a fanbase based on baseless hypotheticals that you've made up just to show your support is more righteous is kind of gross.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think judging a fanbase based on baseless hypotheticals that you've made up just to show your support is more righteous is kind of gross.
Honestly, it's disgusting. This is why I recommend just not listening to This One Fan™. They're definitely not representative of the Geno fanbase as a whole, and I'm kinda reviled to see other fanbases being put down and judged so harshly when that's something we don't want to be on the receiving end of. Treat people the way you want to be treated, love thy neighbor, etc. It's pretty basic.

I hate that I have to keep apologizing on behalf of the fanbase because of Certain Behaviors™, but here I am, doing so again. That's just sad lmao.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, it's disgusting. This is why I recommend just not listening to This One Fan™. They're definitely not representative of the Geno fanbase as a whole, and I'm kinda reviled to see other fanbases being put down and judged so harshly when that's something we don't want to be on the receiving end of. Treat people the way you want to be treated, love thy neighbor, etc. It's pretty basic.

I hate that I have to keep apologizing on behalf of the fanbase because of Certain Behaviors™, but here I am, doing so again. That's just sad lmao.
Nah, at this point I know OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer is a big exception to Geno fanbase, there's no need to apologize on their behalf.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The only character I really dislike from that supposed leak is Doomguy.

I tried to like Doom because many forced me to do so... But I just can’t.
I wasted money with Doom 2016, because I haven’t touched that game in a long time. It wasn’t the coming of Christ that the internet told me it was, and I got bored of it.
As a fan of the old-school Dooms, I also found the 2016 game incredibly boring. In that aspect, the originals are better at level design. If you have a taste for the old school I recommend you give those a go.
Protip: don't buy into the pre-release hype of anything, go after a game on your own judgement a year or two after the fact when the dust has settled.

In any case, I doubt that particular leak, mainly because we'd somehow get two Western third-parties in one go when having just one is hard enough to even make it in the first place.
Huh, hadn’t thought of that. That makes it even less likely.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As a fan of the old-school Dooms, I also found the 2016 game incredibly boring. In that aspect, the originals are better at level design. If you have a taste for the old school I recommend you give those a go.

Huh, hadn’t thought of that. That makes it even less likely.
There's also Brutal Doom, if you want a little more bang. Lotsa fan-made content that enhances the experience.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
As cool as DoomGuy would be, he would be heavily softened up for his moveset, and unlike Bayonetta who got away relatively unscathed in terms of her moveset, Doom Guy is all about over the top violence and delivering gory demises to his enemies by gun or by fist. He'd be perfect for MK 11 though, his over the top violent behavior would fit like a glove.
I'm not gonna go into much detail here as this was discussed more in-depth in the Doomguy thread (by yours truly no less), but Doomguy in MK works well in theory. Implementing Doomguy runs into trouble when you'd have to slow him down and stiffen him up, like Mortal Kombat would require. Smash could integrate him more faithfully by letting him keep his trademark speed, strafing, and fluidity. You can also have brutality without gore, as Ridley gleefully demonstrates (and Gomorrah, who's regularly depicted graphically chewing angels apart).

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I mean; alright? I'm allowed to criticize trends I see in the Smash community. This view is not too different than one fatman has expressed in the past, but if you feel you really need to apologize on my behalf, I can't really stop you. I do think manufactured support is defintley different than the people who campaign for years like the Kremlings and Space Pirates. I mean, does anyone remember Hilda's brief spike in popularity? I think you'd be hardpressed to find someone campaigning for them now.

D

Deleted member

I'm not gonna go into much detail here as this was discussed more in-depth in the Doomguy thread (by yours truly no less), but Doomguy in MK works well in theory. Implementing Doomguy runs into trouble when you'd have to slow him down and stiffen him up, like Mortal Kombat would require. Smash could integrate him more faithfully by letting him keep his trademark speed, strafing, and fluidity. You can also have brutality without gore, as Ridley gleefully demonstrates (and Gomorrah, who's regularly depicted graphically chewing angels apart).
I agree about Doomguy working better in Smash.
That being said, I don’t find his tools for Smash as neat as people made it out to be (at least from what I’ve played of 2016 and ignoring the ones we know for Eternal).

Many people say that Erdrick just has a sword, but outside of the chainsaw and fist combat Doomguy has mostly variations of fire weapons and orbs that makes him stronger. Maybe if I went more far in the game I would find more diversity on his armery... But I don’t see enough stuff for an interesting set of special attacks.

However, I may be wrong since I haven’t gone far into 2016, so maybe I could miss something.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh... oh no. Now I need to rewatch that episode! Nooooooo! :drfacepalm:

Gotta give my extremely biased opinion here, man: Being fine with Ryu Hayabusa because of the good ol' Nerd is a stellar reason to feel that way. I freaking love James and his work, AVGN or not.
It's totally a valid reason. I'm pretty sure the only reason I accepted Castlevania being in Smash Bros is because I watched Egoraptor and Somecallmejohnny in early high school.
Oh, incidentally, AVGN Adventures will be getting a collection bundle soon. Which is convenient, since AVGNA2 never came to the 3DS.

D

Deleted member

I mean; alright? I'm allowed to criticize trends I see in the Smash community. This view is not too different than one fatman has expressed in the past, but if you feel you really need to apologize on my behalf, I can't really stop you. I do think manufactured support is defintley different than the people who campaign for years like the Kremlings and Space Pirates. I mean, does anyone remember Hilda's brief spike in popularity? I think you'd be hardpressed to find someone campaigning for them now.
To me, it's just support. As a newbie on these forums, I can't see how precious longevity really is. All it really tells me about a person is how much time they invested into the topic, which isn't inherently good or bad. If a character is supported, I don't see much to criticize in the trend. People want the character and they'll be happy if they get in. No one's entitled to a character because they have been asking for years. I imagine you know this, too.

So again, what's to criticize?

Last edited by a moderator:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
What people seem to be taking frustration with is your assertion that Erdrick's support is based on bandwagoning and how people are just supporting the character just for the sake of "being correct", as you put it. Put simply, it creates the impression that you think Erdrick's support is artificial because people just want to be right about a character being in game.

Bolderousness and others have already said what I was going to say, so I am going to end it here.

D

Deleted member

I just have a feeling that Nintendo may do something regarding Geno in the future now that they have back the support from Square, even if it is outside of Smash.

Maybe they make a deal with Square for a new Mario Basketball game that finally features Geno, a collaboration with one of the Final Fantasy games for phones or maybe even a new Fortune Street.

We aren’t in the Wii U era, and Nintendo would likely have a better time making deals with Square for stuff outside of Smash. I am positive.

D

Deleted member

What the hell makes support "manufactured"? Honestly the reason characters like Hilda recieved brief spikes in campaigning is because after their game came out and goes away they don't have too much of a chance due to them getting replaced decently fast with new characters and games. The reason someone like Ridley lived so long is because Metroid and Ridley are, well, still alive (even if it was on hiatus for a bit) and not having the closest thing to a consistent main villain the series has was a gaping hole. The reason Isaac or Geno, however, lived so long is simply the fact that those characters aren't going anywhere. GS is dead and SMRPG (and by association Geno) is owned by SE. That's the reason they've been campaigned for for so long.

However, the reason someone like Hilda, or Lyn aren't getting supported as much is because their time has come and gone. The franchises they're from have moved past them. The series are still alive, yes, but the character is finished now. You can't really compare someone like Hilda to Geno.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I just have a feeling that Nintendo may do something regarding Geno in the future now that they have back the support from Square, even if it is outside of Smash.

Maybe they make a deal with Square for a new Mario Basketball game that finally features Geno, a collaboration with one of the Final Fantasy games for phones or maybe even a new Fortune Street.

We aren’t in the Wii U era, and Nintendo would likely have a better time making deals with Square for stuff outside of Smash. I am positive.
I'm not very hopeful for Geno in Smash, but outside of Smash, I think he has a great shot at returning with Mallow in tow. That's all I really want. I love them both so dang much, and bringing them back would just be heavenly. It doesn't have to be a revival through Smash Bros. It can be anything. The way NoA and NoJ seem to be pushing Geno and, to a lesser extent, Mallow into the public eye, too, makes me wonder if they have something in the pipeline for them.

I think the future is bright, despite some moments of cynicism and pessimism. Generally, I think they can come back if we keep our hopes high and our voices heard. Let's always support our boys!

D

Deleted member

If Geno doesn't get into Smash, I don't think he has a good shot at all to get into something else Mario related.

If he gets into Smash, then I would be confident about it. If he doesn't, it would be unlikely

Looma

Smash Journeyman
That being said, I don’t find his tools for Smash as neat as people made it out to be (at least from what I’ve played of 2016 and ignoring the ones we know for Eternal).

Many people say that Erdrick just has a sword, but outside of the chainsaw and fist combat Doomguy has mostly variations of fire weapons and orbs that makes him stronger. Maybe if I went more far in the game I would find more diversity on his armery... But I don’t see enough stuff for an interesting set of special attacks.

However, I may be wrong since I haven’t gone far into 2016, so maybe I could miss something.
I really don't wanna pimp out Doomguy too much on the Geno thread.

But anyways, Doomguy's arsenal might look samey from the outside, but it's as diverse as it is impressive. In addition to the standard fists + chainsaw + pistol, he has:

Chaingun: rapid fire bullets
Super Shotgun: devastating at close range
Rocket Launcher: needs no explanation
Plasma Gun: freakin laser beams
BFG: christ almighty
Unmaker: paralyzing slugs terribly underrated, like Doom 64 where it hails from

and that's all classic stuff off the top of my head. We're not even getting into his 2016 arsenal! Or that cool hookshotgun from Eternal.

D

Deleted member

I really don't wanna pimp out Doomguy too much on the Geno thread.

But anyways, Doomguy's arsenal might look samey from the outside, but it's as diverse as it is impressive. In addition to the standard fists + chainsaw + pistol, he has:

Chaingun: rapid fire bullets
Super Shotgun: devastating at close range
Rocket Launcher: needs no explanation
Plasma Gun: freakin laser beams
BFG: christ almighty
Unmaker: paralyzing slugs terribly underrated, like Doom 64 where it hails from

and that's all classic stuff off the top of my head. We're not even getting into his 2016 arsenal! Or that cool hookshotgun from Eternal.
Yeah, It is likely that I haven’t gone deep with 2016, since I did not even know about the Rocket launcher.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Some characters actually lost their support at some point. Back in the days, when people saw that Golden Saw had NOTHING in Smash 4, they kinda gave up. That's why I always said that Isaac's performance in the ballot was always overrated. Isaac's fate is the saddest because he lost some support when he needed it the most. That's why he came back as an AT and not as a playable character. Now, his support is better than ever and he's back in the spotlight thanks to his AT. But if many people didn't stop to support him during the ballot days, the sad truth is that he would probably be playable right now.

Decidueye's support died too. Geno's support was weak during Smash 4 days.

So yeah, there's always a base of hardcore fans who will keep supporting their character but most of the time, the majority of the people are just bandwagoning. That's the case for Erdrick and basically every other characters.

Truth is, before we started talking about Erdrick, the vast majority of the community didn't know who the **** he was. Most of the time, when people talked about DQ, they just said "we want some DQ representation" or "Slime could get in" at best. No one was like "What about Erdrick ?". So yeah, there's a lot of bandwagoning with this character. And I'm pretty sure that if he's not getting in, people will forget about him and just ask for "Dragon Quest representation".

And I love Dragon Quest and Erdrick, I have no problem with him being the Square rep, so don't start using the "hater" argument.

D

Deleted member

Some characters actually lost their support at some point. Back in the days, when people saw that Golden Saw had NOTHING in Smash 4, they kinda gave up. That's why I always said that Isaac's performance in the ballot was always overrated. Isaac's fate is the saddest because he lost some support when he needed it the most. That's why he came back as an AT and not as a playable character. Now, his support is better than ever and he's back in the spotlight thanks to his AT. But if many people didn't stop to support him during the ballot days, the sad truth is that he would probably be playable right now.

Decidueye's support died too. Geno's support was weak during Smash 4 days.

So yeah, there's always a base of hardcore fans who will keep supporting their character but most of the time, the majority of the people are just bandwagoning. That's the case for Erdrick and basically every other characters.

Truth is, before we started talking about Erdrick, the vast majority of the community didn't know who the **** he was. Most of the time, when people talked about DQ, they just said "we want some DQ representation" or "Slime could get in" at best. No one was like "What about Erdrick ?". So yeah, there's a lot of bandwagoning with this character. And I'm pretty sure that if he's not getting in, people will forget about him and just ask for "Dragon Quest representation".

And I love Dragon Quest and Erdrick, I have no problem with him being the Square rep, so don't start using the "hater" argument.
I was wishing any kind of DQ content in Smash for a long number of years.
However, I was silent about it because I saw many people online bashing the series just because of the composer.

My dream DQ rep for Smash would be Eight from DQVIII, but I can understand how Erdrick holds more importance as a Smash pick.

While it is true that some people may jump on trends from time to time, it thankfully isn’t my case. And don’t worry about the way people may react to you: your post was done without any harm intended, and you kept a pacific approach through it. At least in my case, I don’t consider you a hater.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Regardless of our own feelings towards Erdrick, I think we can all agree that bandwagon support is an all-around annoying trend in the Smash community that affects speculation and people's wants more than it ideally should. Remember just a few months ago when the Skull Kid hype was at an all-time high and people were honestly trying to say he was always this super popular request among Zelda characters, when in reality, his support prior to Ultimate was middling at best? (Thanks, RelaxAlax.) Hell, I'd even say that's exactly what's happening for Porky right now, and if he doesn't get in as part of the Fighter Pass, support for him will likely be minimal going forward. People are free to like whatever characters they want, but seeing people jump to and give up support for characters on a dime based on their perceived likelihood just ticks me off a tad. Where's these people's sense of loyalty?
It honestly reminds me of those guys who say they're gonna main every new character that gets announced, but barely end up touching them when they actually come out. Where do you think all those "day 1 Ridley mains" went? You can bet your bottom dollar that at least half of this website will have Joker listed as their Ultimate main as soon as his stock icon is released even if they haven't looked at a Persona game in their lives, but within a couple months, most of 'em will change their main to someone else like he never even happened.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
This begs the question, Doomguy or Master Chief?

Anyway, I'm really close to elite smash at long last. I don't know how because I'm not that good, but I'm so close I can taste it. Of course, all while using the Geno profile pic.

D

Deleted member

Regardless of our own feelings towards Erdrick, I think we can all agree that bandwagon support is an all-around annoying trend in the Smash community that affects speculation and people's wants more than it ideally should. Remember just a few months ago when the Skull Kid hype was at an all-time high and people were honestly trying to say he was always this super popular request among Zelda characters, when in reality, his support prior to Ultimate was middling at best? (Thanks, RelaxAlax.) Hell, I'd even say that's exactly what's happening for Porky right now, and if he doesn't get in as part of the Fighter Pass, support for him will likely be minimal going forward. People are free to like whatever characters they want, but seeing people jump to and give up support for characters on a dime based on their perceived likelihood just ticks me off a tad.
It honestly reminds me of those guys who say they're gonna main every new character that gets announced, but barely end up touching them when they actually come out. Where do you think all those "day 1 Ridley mains" went? You can bet your bottom dollar that at least half of this website will have Joker listed as their Ultimate main as soon as his stock icon is released, but within a couple months, most of 'em will change their main to someone else like he never even happened.
And the majority of people thought Geno was extremely likely for the base game.

I know this because, when I would comment on YouTube about how much I want Geno, I wouldn't get any slack for it because the majority of the community thought he was really likely.

After the base game was revealed and we moved to DLC speculation, the majority of people now think Geno is unlikely for DLC (I'm still confident about him being DLC, though). Whenever I comment on a vid on YouTube now, it's guaranteed I get **** for it lol.

D

Deleted member

Regardless of our own feelings towards Erdrick, I think we can all agree that bandwagon support is an all-around annoying trend in the Smash community that affects speculation and people's wants more than it ideally should. Remember just a few months ago when the Skull Kid hype was at an all-time high and people were honestly trying to say he was always this super popular request among Zelda characters, when in reality, his support prior to Ultimate was middling at best? (Thanks, RelaxAlax.) Hell, I'd even say that's exactly what's happening for Porky right now, and if he doesn't get in as part of the Fighter Pass, support for him will likely be minimal going forward. People are free to like whatever characters they want, but seeing people jump to and give up support for characters on a dime based on their perceived likelihood just ticks me off a tad.
It honestly reminds me of those guys who say they're gonna main every new character that gets announced, but barely end up touching them when they actually come out. Where do you think all those "day 1 Ridley mains" went? You can bet your bottom dollar that at least half of this website will have Joker listed as their Ultimate main as soon as his stock icon is released even if they haven't looked at a Persona game in their lives, but within a couple months, most of 'em will change their main to someone else like he never even happened.
Tbh, I have actually been a Ridley and K.Rool main since the game launched (because I bought it at launch). It is true that people may want to jump on trends, but I’m not really that kind of person.

Even after K.Rool got nerfed, I still love to play as him and keep a big track of victories.

I can admit that I mostly support Erdrick because he is the most reasonable pick from the DQ series, since my most wanted from that franchise is Eight. I am also keeping Crash as my most wanted, but I don’t bring him up that much since there are many topics being talked about in the general threads, so I prefer to wait for a better moment to bring him up. Same with Banjo.

Trends are a thing, thankfully not the rule, but still a big thing that should be talked.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Tbh, I have actually been a Ridley and K.Rool main since the game launched (because I bought it at launch). It is true that people may want to jump on trends, but I’m not really that kind of person.

Even after K.Rool got nerfed, I still love to play as him and keep a big track of victories.
Gosh, same. I haven't so much wanted to main Ridley, but as soon as K. Rool was revealed, I was like, "No matter what, I'm maining him." My love for K. Rool is bananas (HEH), and I vowed that if he was in Smash, he'd be my main. Guess who made it to Smash, and who I am maining to this day? :drflip:

It's sad that I doubt most of the DLC will really be for me, but I can't be happier about my base game most wanted. Go Kremling Krew, go!

D

Deleted member

This begs the question, Doomguy or Master Chief?
I wish that I could answer that question.
But I haven’t played a Halo game, so I can’t answer due to a lack of knowledge.

However, I heard the OST of both series, and I may like Halo’s more.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Honestly the whole "sword users are generic and dumb" meme is so stupid

Looking at all the non-echo swordies really the only one who isn't super unique is Roy and even then you can't play him at all like any other swordie, and his moves only bear a slight resemblance to Marth. But try playing him like Marth and you'll find out the hard way that he's pretty ****ing unique.

I might be biased because of disjoint gang but honestly the meme needs to die
You may call it a maymay but the fact is that people are just sick of the whole aesthetic of the FE style human sword users. There's a reason almost no one lists FE style characters or anything close to that in speculation lists. Because people are tired of them. Could Sakurai potentially add in 6 more sword fighters that technically play differently from one another? Maybe. Do people want that? No. You can look at listings of top requested characters for SSBU pre release and now for DLC and see most of the characters are not that. The only one that is in that sort of spectrum is Sora and even then when people list out movesets its hard not to see that it comes off as feeling very similar to several that we already have in the game. The issue is that there are so many non-anime/realistic human-esque sword users out there not only in Nintendo but in the greater video game pantheon that people have been requesting for years. It was frustrating as a fan of the series to see that sort of character be brought in over and over again in Sm4sh when the point of Smash is to celebrate all of gaming and Sakurais stated intention is to bring in characters that offer something new and different to the roster the more you add anime style swordfighters the less that even becomes feasible or even worth it to a lot of people. Why spend development time trying to met out a niche for another swordfighter when there are plenty of characters that don't use sword or have that kind of aesthetic? I think I'd feel differently if the FE fighters we've gotten represent the different weapon styles availiable in FE but at this point they don't and it this point adding more is just frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom