• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Lmao imagine an alt for a villager (the Minecraft one, not the AC one lol)
reminds me of one April Fools Day where Mojang made everyone have a Villager skin, and we had to use a resourcepack which had the Villagers' voice from Minecraft animations by ElementAnimation doing the sounds for everything.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
A Master Chief alt for Steve would be nice since there's already an official skin for him and Master Chief was disconfirmed.

And just a little side note if you've ever heard of Neku or The World Ends With You:
The game is beloved by fans, and the creator came out and said the reason there hasn't been a sequel is because the game barely sells. He's add ideas since its initial release way back on the DS in 2007 and the fact that the newer remake was made just so that the game could receive any attention to receive under 30k sales is disheartening. So please, if you would like, consider giving the game a try; it's unique, fun, and interesting all the way through.

Apologies for the unrelated text, just a little sad as a fan of the series.

Onto Geno, I've pretty much taken my side that Geno won't appear in the Fighter's Pass, but has a chance outside of it. Since all the characters can be bundled, I doubt Square would be too happy with their character being lumped in with a bunch of others, and them receiving less profit in general.

Seriously, what is it with them? Must your company be solely fixated on business and money? Definitely not a way to leave a lasting impression on people who admire your games.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
People thought the fighter pass would shill upcoming games. They are right. Persona 5 for switch, Super Mario RPG 2, Banjo-Threeie/HD collection, Phoenix Wright Trilogy for switch, and Doom Enternal.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
It is pretty frustrating, really. Brawl's reasoning was likely because Square would have wanted him as DLC, and Brawl wasn't going to have that. Smash 4 was because of Cloud getting in because Nintendo and Square wanted Final Fantasy, and for that, Sakurai chose Cloud. They didn't have a lot of time left due to needing to start on Ultimate + the Wii U was ending its life cycle, so Sakurai couldn't also do Geno. Therefore, Geno was a Mii costume.

It makes me wonder about Square's reasoning this time, given Sakurai has gone on record to say that he 'wants to do as much as he can with Ultimate' and that they have a 'surplus of money and time'. Either this time, Square said no or, because NoJ chose the DLC this time, Sakurai never even got the chance to ask for Geno this time. Because of all of the circumstances, this is why I doubt Geno is in the Fighter's Pass. If Sakurai had any chance to ask for Geno and Square said yes to that, it's either going to be as misc. DLC or as DLC for the next Smash. Either way, either NoJ or Square is to blame this time, and it's sad. The stars aligned for Geno in Brawl, but Square said no because of presumably lack of DLC. The stars aligned for Smash 4, but it wasn't going to have much of a DLC future because of Ultimate + the Switch alongside the Wii U's failure. The stars REALLY aligned for Ultimate, but NoJ was tasked with choosing and Square could have also said no for various reasons.

Then again, I can't imagine why they'd say no if they allowed the Mii costume as DLC and the spirit as just plain base game material. Of course, Square is Square, so who knows?

EDIT: Along with that, I wouldn't say Nintendo entirely is at fault either. NoJ is the main branch, but it isn't all of Nintendo. With what Polar's source said about disappointment from lack of Geno in the base game and the Geno DLC rumor, plus NoA shoving Geno into social media mentions and that one HQ quiz, I wouldn't be surprised if NoA themselves are pushing for Geno to make a return. It's not so much all of Nintendo then. It's mainly NoJ. NoA is hearing us loud and clear, I'd wager.
That was my assumption for why he couldn't make it in Brawl, and I believe it was because there was no DLC in Brawl. Having Geno in Brawl would've been interesting, and the roster select screen wouldn't be in the shape of a square anymore, because I think Geno would probably be right where the random spot is. I also believe that the relationship with Square was also a con at the time, so that could also be a possibility.

Nintendo of America/Reggie is basically like the second-in-command of Nintendo Co., Ltd., so perhaps he or some of the higher-ups at NoA are the ones listening to us and trying to show their attention of Geno to NoJ. All I'd do right now is pay attention to that Geno DLC rumor, because something could go down. The fact that one of the higher-ups told that to the ambassador is interesting. I just want to see who Brave is. lol

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
That was my assumption for why he couldn't make it in Brawl, and I believe it was because there was no DLC in Brawl. Having Geno in Brawl would've been interesting, and the roster select screen wouldn't be in the shape of a square anymore, because I think Geno would probably be right where the random spot is. I also believe that the relationship with Square was also a con at the time, so that could also be a possibility.

Nintendo of America/Reggie is basically like the second-in-command of Nintendo Co., Ltd., so perhaps he or some of the higher-ups at NoA are the ones listening to us and trying to show their attention of Geno to NoJ. All I'd do right now is pay attention to that Geno DLC rumor, because something could go down. The fact that one of the higher-ups told that to the ambassador is interesting. I just want to see who Brave is. lol
I still remember how there used to be a Geno picture drawn by a Nintendo employee that interestingly disappeared during the time smash was being developed. And all this word I hear about NoA getting really excited with Geno talk.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
If look at this from a leak leak perspective, i think Geno fits the brave role.
1. He is fearless
2. He was confident
3. A hero
4. He most definitely important character to game.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Do you guys think another tier of DLC characters is likely? I'm doubtful, but I think Geno's chances would increase if that were the case.
It feels like a no-brainer, but at the same time, I can very easily see them pulling a Nintendo and just leaving it at the Fighter Pass (and Plant). Again, it'd seem like an obvious move to continue supporting one of their best-received titles in recent memory as long as the Switch is relevant, especially since Smash 4 had more DLC than the Fighter Pass is slated to contain despite being on a dying system, but hey, I don't see any Odyssey DLC yet either. Right now, I'll chalk it up to "it's possible".

ZelDan

Smash Master
Master Chief is the only Microsoft character I give a **** about. Too bad we got that tweet from Frank that pooped on Chief's already miniscule chances happened.

never played a Banjo game. I have played guitar games though like Guitar hero though.
That was bad I'm sorry

I don't want Steve as a playable character. I couldn't give some deep lengthy explanation as to why, he's just so damn boring visually and as a character to me.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It feels like a no-brainer, but at the same time, I can very easily see them pulling a Nintendo and just leaving it at the Fighter Pass (and Plant). Again, it'd seem like an obvious move to continue supporting one of their best-received titles in recent memory as long as the Switch is relevant, especially since Smash 4 had more DLC than the Fighter Pass is slated to contain despite being on a dying system, but hey, I don't see any Odyssey DLC yet either. Right now, I'll chalk it up to "it's possible".
I wouldn't say Mario Odyssey is the type of game you can continue to milk for awhile. Most people play it once and put it down. Smash however is going to keep being played. It will have a large continuous player base to get money off of. Characters are a guaranteed way to make people keep paying to have the complete roster. They would be losing money to not keep making DLC for smash. To add on to all this. It keeps people talking about it longer. "Who is going to be in fighter pass 3??". Smash will continue to stay in the news cycle which would basically be free publicity.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Master Chief is the only Microsoft character I give a **** about. Too bad we got that tweet from Frank that pooped on Chief's already miniscule chances happened.

never played a Banjo game. I have played guitar games though like Guitar hero though.
That was bad I'm sorry

I don't want Steve as a playable character. I couldn't give some deep lengthy explanation as to why, he's just so damn boring visually and as a character to me.
Hey, I'm glad we still have some old Halo players out there. Master Chief would be such an outstanding pick, even though I'm more of a fan of Thel 'Vadam/Arbiter. Banjo-Kazooie is a very fun game, and I think you should try it sometime; it's like a hub world, similar like SM64! You have to collect puzzle pieces in worlds in order to go to explore other worlds.

Which Halo is your favorite, ZelDan ZelDan ? Mine's between Halo 3 and Reach.
Story and campaign wise, Halo 2 for me.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Hey, I'm glad we still have some old Halo players out there. Master Chief would be such an outstanding pick, even though I'm more of a fan of Thel 'Vadam/Arbiter. Banjo-Kazooie is a very fun game, and I think you should try it sometime; it's like a hub world, similar like SM64! You have to collect puzzle pieces in worlds in order to go to explore other worlds.

Which Halo is your favorite, ZelDan ZelDan ? Mine's between Halo 3 and Reach.
Story and campaign wise, Halo 2 for me.
Reach is my favorite just because it had my favorite multiplayer. Easily the halo game I spent the most time on. hell, it's probably the multiplayer game I put the most time into after SSB Melee.

that said I never owned an Xbox and thus never owned halo1 and 2 myself (only played these two when I went over a friend's house back in the day), and Halo 3 I didn't get until much much later on when it died down, so I can really only judge Reach, 4, and 5.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Reach is my favorite just because it had my favorite multiplayer. Easily the halo game I spent the most time on. hell, it's probably the multiplayer game I put the most time into after SSB Melee.

that said I never owned an Xbox and thus never owned halo1 and 2 myself (only played these two when I went over a friend's house back in the day), and Halo 3 I didn't get until much much later on when it died down, so I can really only judge Reach, 4, and 5.
Halo 2 and 3 were my games back when. Way too many hours playing both back when Live was arguably in its most toxic and ridiculous form. I loved Reach single player but never did as much multiplayer.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I absolutely agree that Reach's multiplayer was amazing. You know you had the best time to play Reach if you were able to play Speed Halo, Fat Kid, Jump Rope, Crash Up Derby, and so many other fun gametypes on Custom Games. Halo 2 was much better than Halo: CE... oh man, online got much better. Halo 2 and 3 were fantastic, so it's hard for me to pick a personal favorite. Compared to all Halo games, I spent most of my Halo career on Reach, mostly because I had a lot of free time back when it came out. Almost everyday, I wish I could go back to the good ol' days of Halo, back when Bungie made it.

I'm not a fan of Halo 4 and 5, and I think it's like the equivalent of Disney's Star Wars; they basically both took over and redid the past, the antagonists are back at it again after their trilogies both had grand finales... ugh. It really sucks that you were only here during those times. Halo 3 was very fun, about on par with Reach.

Reach is also my most played video game yet. The last time I looked at my service records, less than a year ago, it said I spent over 1400 hours on Reach. I've been playing Reach since the day it came out, I got the Legendary Edition, and still not even an Inheritor yet, only a Reclaimer (one rank away from it). I still play it to this day, but it's sad that not many play it anymore. The last time there were a lot of people on Reach was when Reach became compatible with Xbox One, back in late 2015; the population spiked and went up to 30,000 that day... I literally had tears in my eyes because Reach felt alive again. The prime years of Halo were back in 2004-2012, but it got bad in late 2012 because that's when Halo 4 came out, and it made people move away from Halo 3 and Reach. I have every Halo game on my shelf and it brings a tear to my eye whenever I think of the old Bungie because they always knew how to make a great game. I'd like to bring a quote to everyone and you future video game developers out there.

"It needs to be fun before it's pretty."
-Adrian Perez of Bungie Studios, 2004

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Question, when does Square-Enix's copyright of Geno expire? Would there be a chance it could fall into Nintendo's hands? Square doesn't even utilize this IP.

HMpoweredMan

Smash Cadet
Question, when does Square-Enix's copyright of Geno expire? Would there be a chance it could fall into Nintendo's hands? Square doesn't even utilize this IP.
That's not how copyright works. It's like life of the author plus 70 years of the work. So in about 2120 Geno will be public domain.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
the sword better be a pickaxe if they're gonna give Steve a poor role.

...yeah, the mii costume would suck if it doesn't replace the entire model.
Man, no one deserves a crappy role like that. I mean, I personally think Steve is a good fit for a Mii costume, but I know it'd hurt the Steve fans. We Geno fans especially know that pain, even worse yet that we don't have the Mii costume back this time around either...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What people forgot is that she was a tag team character. Sakurai doesn't drop his ideas easily. It's no surprise that K. Rool got in first, as he wasn't tied to being a tag team design.

That doesn't mean the tag team idea is necessarily good, just that it's likely he'll stick with that first. I'd like to see a Dixie/Cranky team myself.
I still think Dixie is on Sakurai's radar because of the Mii hat. Not to say that confirms or deconfirms Dixie, but Sakurai does have his eye on her. I also think he knows Dixie would be best represented as a stand alone unique fighter because she could have easily been made into a Echo.

Yeah, that makes sense. I will say, I actually think Ashley is going to be an eventual Smash rep for the Warioware series if Nintendo continues to push her like they have.
I think Ashley's inclusion will all depend on whether Warioware is mighty successful on the Switch or not. If it is, she is a prime contender to get promoted from the Assists in Ultimate if that takes off or the next Smash.

Yeah I think Steve is a likely choice but I'm also afraid he may not get in anyway; even if Minecraft seems like an obvious inclusion due to its popularity, what Sakurai has said about it, and Nintendo's cooperation with it...I only started seeing Steve being likely 'cause of Vergeben (though seeing his leak made me realize Minecraft definitely has a shot due to the reasons I stated when thinking about it, I just have this sense of dread) so I'm just ready to be disappointed unless Banjo-Kazooie can get in...

The other characters in my sig. (or Porky, Goomba, some others) would lighten my mood, though, but even so I don't really care whether other characters get in or not if they're some I don't know or personally want.
Master Chief is out of the running, so if we get a Microsoft rep it will be either Steve or Banjo & Kazooie. I'm like 90% percent sure one or the other is going to be in the Season Pass.

We are obviously getting 6 waves and a story mode
If we get more than one Season Pass, I would be betting on 3 instead of 6. But I would definitely take 6 though if I had the option too. Also, the 30 slots in the data is just placeholders, it doesn't actually mean we will get 30 more characters. Alts take up those slots as well.

Me too. Two fan favorites out of the way, WITHOUT taking two slots? It's killing two Neckies with one barrel!
Actually, they would be taking up two slots in the data I believe. Sakurai counts :ultsquirtle:, :ultivysaur:, :ultcharizard: as separate characters despite :ultpokemontrainer: being on the CSS listing as one. And they're are also listed as fighter numbers 33/34/35 in their video on the Smash Bros. website.

I know. It really sucks when it keeps seeming like it's your favorite's time to shine, not just in Smash, but just as a general revival. It sucks even more when their opposition are characters that don't need revivals. Those characters at least have prominence outside of Smash and their dead home series. Steve has Minecraft, Erdrick is a legend in DQ... whereas Banjo's series is dead in the water and Geno hasn't had a main appearance since the 90s.

I think that's what makes this so hard on us, and it's why we get so emotional and high-strung. If these characters had anything outside of Smash, it'd be fine. I got over Shadow not being in pretty quickly because he still has relevance in Sonic to this day. Geno doesn't have that. Banjo doesn't have that.

That being said, we shouldn't trash other fanbases for this when their picks are deserving and their opinions are valid. All I can hope is that, if their picks get in, maybe they can cash in a little prayer for our guys to get revivals outside of Smash. Really, Geno in Smash is really just part of the ultimate goal for me: I want our boy back. It doesn't even have to be in Smash. It can be anything. Anything! We want him to have a role again, and not just as a PNG or his likeness as a costume. We want him to return in full-fledged glory.

It... It sucks a lot. I think that's why people are so defensive when it comes to Banjo and Geno. "Well, at least your picks actually get some love from their creators." That sort of thing. It's kind of a jealousy thing, and I wish we were that lucky. If others get their picks, I'll be very happy for them, genuinely so. I just hope ours get what they deserve one day, too.
That's part of the reason I wanted :ultkrool: in Smash Bros. for so long as well as Goemon, Banjo & Kazooie and Krystal because I don't want to see my favorite video game characters die in obscurity and being forgotten.

That's not how copyright works. It's like life of the author plus 70 years of the work. So in about 2120 Geno will be public domain.
Well you all know what to do, let's get into the time machine and transport to the year 2120 to buy our boi.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know. It really sucks when it keeps seeming like it's your favorite's time to shine, not just in Smash, but just as a general revival. It sucks even more when their opposition are characters that don't need revivals. Those characters at least have prominence outside of Smash and their dead home series. Steve has Minecraft, Erdrick is a legend in DQ... whereas Banjo's series is dead in the water and Geno hasn't had a main appearance since the 90s.

I think that's what makes this so hard on us, and it's why we get so emotional and high-strung. If these characters had anything outside of Smash, it'd be fine. I got over Shadow not being in pretty quickly because he still has relevance in Sonic to this day. Geno doesn't have that. Banjo doesn't have that.

That being said, we shouldn't trash other fanbases for this when their picks are deserving and their opinions are valid. All I can hope is that, if their picks get in, maybe they can cash in a little prayer for our guys to get revivals outside of Smash. Really, Geno in Smash is really just part of the ultimate goal for me: I want our boy back. It doesn't even have to be in Smash. It can be anything. Anything! We want him to have a role again, and not just as a PNG or his likeness as a costume. We want him to return in full-fledged glory.

It... It sucks a lot. I think that's why people are so defensive when it comes to Banjo and Geno. "Well, at least your picks actually get some love from their creators." That sort of thing. It's kind of a jealousy thing, and I wish we were that lucky. If others get their picks, I'll be very happy for them, genuinely so. I just hope ours get what they deserve one day, too.
I think this is a big divide in character speculation because you either get it or you don't. There's a good number of characters who will probably never appear in a meaningful outside of Smash again outside of possibly NPC cameos and those that will appear in almost every game until the franchise goes **** up. Waluigi is an example of the latter. Waluigi has probably averaged 2 games a year since 2000. He's not going anywhere and he's playable in virtually all his appearances. I think it'll eventually happen but there's no real urgency. Characters like Geno and Isaac are the complete opposite. They haven't had playable appearances in years but people still want them back. Logistically, having them come back as a fighter is more practical than reviving their franchise or even a whole new game. Honestly, it's low-balling and fans still get **** for it.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I think Ashley's inclusion will all depend on whether Warioware is mighty successful on the Switch or not. If it is, she is a prime contender to get promoted from the Assists in Ultimate if that takes off or the next Smash.
As much as I love Ashley, I think Mona just makes more sense. She's been in more games and is the series's deuteragonist after all (yes, I think Jimmy T is one below her despite being tremendously important to the series). Plus, Mona is just a more interesting character imo since because of how many jobs she has.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think this is a big divide in character speculation because you either get it or you don't. There's a good number of characters who will probably never appear in a meaningful outside of Smash again outside of possibly NPC cameos and those that will appear in almost every game until the franchise goes **** up. Waluigi is an example of the latter. Waluigi has probably averaged 2 games a year since 2000. He's not going anywhere and he's playable in virtually all his appearances. I think it'll eventually happen but there's no real urgency. Characters like Geno and Isaac are the complete opposite. They haven't had playable appearances in years but people still want them back. Logistically, having them come back as a fighter is more practical than reviving their franchise or even a whole new game. Honestly, it's low-balling and fans still get **** for it.
That's exactly the problem, yeah. Isaac arguably has it even worse than Geno, though, honestly. Let's look at Geno's situation:

1) Nintendo and Square are getting into better relations now.
2) Square has gone on record to say that they want to revisit their older games. Under that umbrella would be older Final Fantasy, older Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and last, but not least, Super Mario RPG's entities.
3) Nintendo and possibly even Square have recognized the demand for Geno and Mallow to return. This is why they have spirits and why Geno has a Mii costume. For all we know, this isn't the end of new material from them that we'll be getting in the near future.
4) Geno and Mallow are part of a series that will never go ****-up. The Mario series is always a mainstay and it's Nintendo's flagship franchise. As long as the series is alive, there is always a chance for them to make their comeback, perhaps even when we least expect it.

Then, we look at poor Isaac:

1) Main protagonist of a franchise that has not had a game since the DS, let alone a successful game since the GBA.
2) Camelot is focused on Mario spin-offs and has gone on record to say that they won't make a new Golden Sun unless Isaac gets a revival elsewhere a la Smash.
3) Sakurai has said he won't put Isaac in Smash unless there's a new, successful Golden Sun game.
4) Because Isaac's series is dead, unless his series is resurrected, there isn't a chance for him to come back, not even in Smash.

At the very least, Geno and Mallow have being part of the Mario series on their sides, not to mention Nintendo and Square finally making some amends. Isaac is up ****'s creek without a plunger.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As much as I love Ashley, I think Mona just makes more sense. She's been in more games and is the series's deuteragonist after all (yes, I think Jimmy T is one below her despite being tremendously important to the series). Plus, Mona is just a more interesting character imo since because of how many jobs she has.
Having a lot of jobs doesn't make her a better option, though.

Really, they both have tons of moveset potential. They push Ashley more than anyone else, though at least other characters are getting some love lately.

The thing is, they don't have a clearcut moveset they use. It's kind of hard to due to the gameplay being nothing but mini-games. Wario already encompasses what WarioWare is about on his own. Adding another is far harder right now. They certainly can choose someone(though it makes sense to go for the most promoted, as they're the bigger gun for a reason, as popularity begets promotion) if they wanted, but until Sakurai has an actual idea of what to do, them being in smaller roles is pretty reasonable. Though if you mean the jobs give her strong moveset potential, that I agree with.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
hopefully, square is not trying to overly promote dragon quest through Jump Force and Smash Bros
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGXbz54QT08
Honestly, taking away my Geno bias, this is something Square should have been doing a long time ago if they wanted DQ to have success in the west. They were always really poor about marketing it state-side. It makes sense that they'd finally do it now, but it makes less sense that it took them so freaking long.

Why couldn't they do it after Geno made it to Smash lmao rip...

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Having a lot of jobs doesn't make her a better option, though.

Really, they both have tons of moveset potential. They push Ashley more than anyone else, though at least other characters are getting some love lately.

The thing is, they don't have a clearcut moveset they use. It's kind of hard to due to the gameplay being nothing but mini-games. Wario already encompasses what WarioWare is about on his own. Adding another is far harder right now. They certainly can choose someone(though it makes sense to go for the most promoted, as they're the bigger gun for a reason, as popularity begets promotion) if they wanted, but until Sakurai has an actual idea of what to do, them being in smaller roles is pretty reasonable. Though if you mean the jobs give her strong moveset potential, that I agree with.
The latter half of my post was pretty subjective, but I think Mona can implement certain moves based on her jobs, like something with pizza or something (rushed response since I'm going over midterms).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The latter half of my post was pretty subjective, but I think Mona can implement certain moves based on her jobs, like something with pizza or something (rushed response since I'm going over midterms).
Ah, then my guess is right. I agree it's a good potential way to look at her for a choice.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Mona is my favorite Warioware character so I would prefer her over Ashley. But I think Ashley is more likely for Smash because of her insane popularity.

She would have a fun moveset. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom