• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, taking away my Geno bias, this is something Square should have been doing a long time ago if they wanted DQ to have success in the west. They were always really poor about marketing it state-side. It makes sense that they'd finally do it now, but it makes less sense that it took them so freaking long.

Why couldn't they do it after Geno made it to Smash lmao rip...

My hope is that it debunks a DQ character for Smash Bros since the character is already being used for Jump Force as a promotion...

Just give me Geno lol

Ovaltine

Smash Master
My hope is that it debunks a DQ character for Smash Bros since the character is already being used for Jump Force as a promotion...

Just give me Geno lol
Not at all, I'm afraid. Dai and Erdrick are two different people and are from two entirely different entities. Dai is for the DQ manga, and he wasn't even made by Toriyama, whereas Erdrick is for the games and is a Toriyama character.

They have no bearing on one another at all.

D

Deleted member

Just give me Geno lol
SE doesn't even own Adventure of Dai, and it hasn't even been released in the US. Dai makes zero sense as a promotional choice in Jump Force.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't say Mario Odyssey is the type of game you can continue to milk for awhile. Most people play it once and put it down. Smash however is going to keep being played. It will have a large continuous player base to get money off of. Characters are a guaranteed way to make people keep paying to have the complete roster. They would be losing money to not keep making DLC for smash. To add on to all this. It keeps people talking about it longer. "Who is going to be in fighter pass 3??". Smash will continue to stay in the news cycle which would basically be free publicity.
Also, Splatoon and MK8, both mainly online multiplayer games similar to Smash, are STILL getting DLC, so I think Smash will get some extra as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, Splatoon and MK8, both mainly online multiplayer games, are STILL getting DLC, so I think Smash will gt some extra as well.
Keep in mind that Sakurai may be in more control than we thought. His statements are pretty vague over how he and Nintendo figured out characters. His team might only be able to do 6 more characters at this rate.

Not that Nintendo can't have more done, either, but I think they respect his decisions a lot. So one pass is very possible on its own. I wouldn't use other games to mean much, as they have different teams with different views.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Dai doesn't even make sense being in Jump Force. There were sooooooooooooooooo many better choices from so many animes and mangas that Shonen Jump owned that people were actually asking for.

Guess they gotta save them for big bucks DLC passes.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's pretty nuts that we're closing in on half a year of knowing about a Square Enix character and 5 months of talks of it being someone from Dragon Quest. Even Tansut's statements are nearly a month old now. In comparison, PP was leaked about two months early but almost no one believed. Meanwhile, every major gaming news outlet has covered "Brave." The more time passes, the more I wonder if we'll get an answer by E3.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Keep in mind that Sakurai may be in more control than we thought. His statements are pretty vague over how he and Nintendo figured out characters. His team might only be able to do 6 more characters at this rate.

Not that Nintendo can't have more done, either, but I think they respect his decisions a lot. So one pass is very possible on its own. I wouldn't use other games to mean much, as they have different teams with different views.
One hundred percent true. That being said, though, Sakurai also has gone on record to say that he wants to do as much as he can with Ultimate. Whether he means fighters, more modes, more balancing, continued support of some other kind, or whatever is up in the air.

Basically, it's really hard to tell what'll happen at this point.

D

Deleted member

It's pretty nuts that we're closing in on half a year of knowing about a Square Enix character and 5 months of talks of it being someone from Dragon Quest. Even Tansut's statements are nearly a month old now. In comparison, PP was leaked about two months early but almost no one believed. Meanwhile, every major gaming news outlet has covered "Brave." The more time passes, the more I wonder if we'll get an answer by E3.
Which is why the Square Enix character was mistaken for Steve

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One hundred percent true. That being said, though, Sakurai also has gone on record to say that he wants to do as much as he can with Ultimate. Whether he means fighters, more modes, more balancing, continued support of some other kind, or whatever is up in the air.

Basically, it's really hard to tell what'll happen at this point.
His statements do sound like he can't do too much.

That said, this is true. It's why I think he might go for returning of modes over just fighters alone. Everyone is back. Even if this means we only get 17 total new characters, that's not a bad thing. The roster is already huge. So one game with a smaller new cast at this point is fine. IMO, though, of course.

D

Deleted member

I definitely think so. Perhaps not as soon as we'd like, but between now and E3 is still quite a lot of time.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of, how long ago did we know about Incineroar via leaks compared to its reveal?
The earliest mention I'm aware of was a 4chan post late in September that had all 3 characters from the November direct. I'm not sure about when Verge backed them, though.

D

Deleted member

The earliest mention I'm aware of was a 4chan post late in September that had all 3 characters from the November direct. I'm not sure about when Verge backed them, though.
Verge leaked Incineroar halfway through September, on about the 17th

D

Deleted member

If that ***** verge didn’t leak :ultincineroar: it would have been a fun addition
Yeah. Sometimes I wish that we didn't have any leaks or anything making a character likely or unlikely, or more likely or unlikely than another character, lol

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Incineroar is fun regardless of Verg. Verg only knew it was coming. Not like he described his gameplay.

And even then, the idea of Isabelle being based upon Villager was extremely common. Whether echo(the most said, though it was incorrect) or clone/semi-clone. I just figured it was an obvious semi-clone or clone due to having the wrong proportions. Maybe far more unique at best. Verg's information was clearly not complete, as his source didn't know if she was an echo or not. If you look at Isabelle's gameplay, she does look a lot like a Villager clone(instead of a semi-clone) at first glance.

D

Deleted member

Yeah. Sometimes I wish that we didn't have any leaks or anything making a character likely or unlikely, or more likely or unlikely than another character, lol
What he’s mostly doing is ruining the surprise I wish he can just shut up

D

Deleted member

Simon would've been so hype if the music track didn't get leaked a day before lol

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What he’s mostly doing is ruining the surprise I wish he can just shut up
C'mon, let's not start flinging crap around. I ain't a fan of Verge either, mainly because of his attitude, but regularly insulting people is not a good look. You've done this multiple times, man. Let's be peaceful about it.

D

Deleted member

Same, honestly
I mean look at it he leaked :ulticeclimbers::ultsnake::ultken::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha: and even joker

This guy needs to stop I wanted these characters to be a surprise but no he just name drops them and people start bandwagoning the characters that veggiehead said

Can we at least get one character that hasent been leaked yet?!?!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mean look at it he leaked :ulticeclimbers::ultsnake::ultken::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha: and even joker

This guy needs to stop I wanted these characters to be a surprise but no he just name drops them and people start bandwagoning the characters that veggiehead said

What? I know he leaked the majority of those, but he didn't leak K. Rool, Piranha Plant, or Joker. He doesn't have any track record at all when it comes to DLC. He claims that he knew about Piranha Plant, but there is nothing to substantiate those claims.

His record isn't as spotless as people think.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

...Dude, he didn't leak K. Rool at all. Or Joker. Or Piranha Plant.

The only DLC he might have leaked, if real, was possibly a Square-Enix rep and Steve at best. And he even got when the SE rep would show up wrong. He has zero credibility for DLC right now.

Though it is nice to have the surprise, you're overreacting severely.

D

Deleted member

Well, I know he didn't leak K Rool or Joker.

PP is an interesting case because, to my knowledge, he knew about it the day before the Nov 1st direct, and posted it on what I believe was Reddit.

I do agree though that I would've liked Incineroar's reveal as a surprise better than Verge leaking him 2 and a half months before his reveal

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, I know he didn't leak K Rool or Joker.

PP is an interesting case because, to my knowledge, he knew about it the day before the Nov 1st direct, and posted it on what I believe was Reddit.

I do agree though that I would've liked Incineroar's reveal as a surprise better than Verge leaking him 2 and a half months before his reveal
He didn't say anything about PP at all. Only after PP was revealed did he claim that he 'knew'.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Don't take this the wrong way, but I appreciate the leaks lol Verge has been right for the base roster, DLC is anyone's best guess.

D

Deleted member

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...os_smash_ultimate_spoiler_discussion/e8trrcc/

He was vague about it, and said "new Nintendo character" rather than PP specifically.

I don't believe he has accurate DLC info, though, especially after he said that the SE rep would be the first DLC character
Same. He tried to make a weird justification for it.

Now, I will be fair. Plans for who would appear first can absolutely change. But int his case, it means we can't trust him till something about DLC comes true from what he said. I don't really believe he's lying to us either. But it doesn't mean he has correct information, which I feel is the case.

D

Deleted member

What? I know he leaked the majority of those, but he didn't leak K. Rool, Piranha Plant, or Joker. He doesn't have any track record at all when it comes to DLC. He claims that he knew about Piranha Plant, but there is nothing to substantiate those claims.

His record isn't as spotless as people think.
...Dude, he didn't leak K. Rool at all. Or Joker. Or Piranha Plant.

The only DLC he might have leaked, if real, was possibly a Square-Enix rep and Steve at best. And he even got when the SE rep would show up wrong. He has zero credibility for DLC right now.

Though it is nice to have the surprise, you're overreacting severely.
of course he didn’t leak them

But he heard them

:ultkrool:: he said that he heard him from a private message he sent to loz18
:ultpiranha::he said he knew him before the direct
23538D76-760A-4BEC-A321-AD0544F75975.jpeg

Edit::ultgreninja:’d

Joker:he had a throwaway source saying there might be a sega character but it might have been a coincidence but no it wasn’t
25301D5F-5110-407F-A07D-D3DE1F0523F1.jpeg

D

Deleted member

Simon would've been so hype if the music track didn't get leaked a day before lol
I actually wasn't aware of the music leak until after Simon's reveal lol. I wasn't participating in the speculation season at that time, but I did after the August Direct. It was beautiful.

But he heard them

View attachment 189005

Joker:he had a throwaway source saying there might be a sega character but it might have been a coincidence but no it wasn’t
View attachment 189007
For K Rool, he was told by a source that he wasn't in the game, actually. Plus, it was always meant to stay private.

For Joker, he never said anything about being told that a Sega character is coming before the Joker reveal, he only said this after the Joker reveal

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

But he heard them

View attachment 189005

View attachment 189007
He didn't leak them. And that's what matters. There is no reason to blame him whatsoever. If he didn't leak it, he can't ruin the surprise.

This is getting ridiculously petty now. Stop finding bad excuses. Sounds like he was given vague information, but information he wasn't comfortable with sharing. He only shares information if he's sure it's real(which took a while for him to take this stance).

Thus, it doesn't matter if he had the information or not. Though if what you're trying to say here is that he might be credible for DLC, that's fair. But the fact he didn't give this information before the reveal means we can't really trust the information directly. It could be him lying(I don't believe he is, but we have zero reason to trust that this information was known before the reveal regardless). Don't forget he's backpedaled in the past many times before. It's on his record. This means these kind of statements are rather untrustworthy.

Oh, right, people still thinking he knew about K. Rool in some way. No, what happened is a source told him that there were no new DK characters. What he said to Loz was that he didn't believe them. Loz spread bad information overall. He never knew about K. Rool in any way. You vastly misheard what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom