• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
But wasn’t LeakyPanda the first person to say it could be a DQ Rep? Nier: A was a very successful game but apparently 2B isn’t in the running. I think DQ has a better history with Nintendo and in gaming in general however. And is this to say there could be a planned Switch port of DQ11?

Also if PolarPanda’s source’s theory is correct, Nintendo is likely to choose 2 fan requested characters. I’m not sure DQ has enough fan traction to fill one of those slots (IF the SE rep is a fan requested one), and I certainly doubt it’s more fan traction than Geno, whatever the traction may be.
He also said no one knows DLC (as evidenced by the list) .

EDIT: I’m still also of the mind that Sakurai picked DLC characters based on a selection from Nintendo as opposed to him picking whoever he wants
If its 2, Geno and Chrono then, hands down. DQ music is a nightmare to licence, Sora is allegedly deconfirmed by Verg and Sephiroth literally makes no sense as a smash character and is likely the character Vergeben is theorycrafting to be out of the running too due to the sheer complexity. Essentially its Dragon Quest vs. Chrono Trigger vs. SMRPG, and for the life of me I cant see DQ music ever existing beyond the DQ franchise.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
If its 2, Geno and Chrono then, hands down. DQ music is a nightmare to licence, Sora is allegedly deconfirmed by Verg and Sephiroth literally makes no sense as a smash character and is likely the character Vergeben is theorycrafting to be out of the running too due to the sheer complexity. Essentially its Dragon Quest vs. Chrono Trigger vs. SMRPG, and for the life of me I cant see DQ music ever existing beyond the DQ franchise.
I think the 2 Fan Requested characters are Geno and Banjo or Geno and Bandanna Waddle Dee. BDW placed #1 on that recent japan fan poll. Banjo places really high out here. So i honestly expect to see BWD over Banjo.

If the SE rep isnt a fan requested one, then maybe Banjo and BWD with Crono or Erdrick as the SE rep

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Actually, DQ XI has been kind of underwhelming sales wise compared to the rest of the mainline series, even in Japan. The most successful ones overall were basically the first and VIII.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest
https://gematsu.com/2018/11/dragon-...-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-four-million

It's done quite well. I don't think that website has been updated for sales outside of japan, or to reflect current sales since they are just giving launch date sales, from what I can tell. I even recall hearing something about it in forbes.

https://gamingbolt.com/dragon-quest-11-had-biggest-launch-in-series-history-in-september-npd-analyst

No idea why they wouldn't update it though, perhaps the numbers are hard to find?

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If Chrono is the one that's been given complex treatment, then he might come with his party as a swap/combo tech mechanic.

Yeah, I was fairly certain it wouldn't affect anything.

Last edited:

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that they didn't preemptively deconfirm 1300 characters in development
I'm glad we have a clear answer now, i was ready to give up on the only characters i wanted that were left.

Pillowbro

Smash Rookie
I honestly think Geno is not going to make it, I think the DLC's remaining are:

1. Tails
2. A pokémon from 3rd or 5th generation (Possibly Sceptile)
3. Dixie Kong
4. Sora
5. Someone from F-Zero

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman

1. Tails
3. Dixie Kong
4. Sora
5. Someone from F-Zero
this feels like low tier trolling/bait. IF we got any gen 3 it would be Blaziken.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Going full on tin foil speculation here but this could be a good sign for Geno. The reason he did fight simulations was because the team necessarily didn't have the resources to make in game models, but lets think for a minute...if they DID? If they magically somehow had the resources for character models, and we've seen Geno a spirit battle, both Geno AND Mallow would have IN GAME character models in Smash Ultimate. The team thought to put Geno in spirits mode PERIOD over every other potential SE rep (specifically Sephiroth who should've been easy with Cloud in the game and Crono, who has ties to Nintendo in the same way SMRPG does) and with attention to detail. And now the team has resources to MAKE at the least five more models. And lets not forget that Geno is an option for player tokens (just like all the other payable fighters) and Mallow isnt. Which, sorry Mallow, but also seems to be a good sign for Geno

Potatu

Smash Apprentice

1. Tails
3. Dixie Kong
4. Sora
5. Someone from F-Zero
A F-Zero rep seems very unlikely. Unless there's a new F-Zero, there most likely won't be a new character.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

4. Sora
It's going to be Roxas.(jk)

We've already talked about Sora's chances , and honestly... Having Louie as a unique fighter look more likely.

If you want to know why , please ask another member. I think I'm done with talking about other SE rep chances.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

1. Tails
3. Dixie Kong
4. Sora
5. Someone from F-Zero
Glad you decided for that to be your first post. Please see yourself to the General Discussion thread, for some reason I think a lot of newbies think this is it for some reason

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Going full on tin foil speculation here but this could be a good sign for Geno. The reason he did fight simulations was because the team necessarily didn't have the resources to make in game models, but lets think for a minute...if they DID? If they magically somehow had the resources for character models, and we've seen Geno a spirit battle, both Geno AND Mallow would have IN GAME character models in Smash Ultimate. The team thought to put Geno in spirits mode PERIOD over every other potential SE rep (specifically Sephiroth who should've been easy with Cloud in the game and Crono, who has ties to Nintendo in the same way SMRPG does) and with attention to detail. And now the team has resources to MAKE at the least five more models. And lets not forget that Geno is an option for player tokens (just like all the other payable fighters) and Mallow isnt. Which, sorry Mallow, but also seems to be a good sign for Geno
I've never met a genuine Mallow fan. I'd love him as an AT though. Dropping giant stars on people? Hilarious.
But yeah Geno was always the character people were like "I want more of this"

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
It ain’t over yet, folks.

Out of the potentials listed in Verge’s DM,

- Geno would be by far the easiest one to include.

- Geno is the only one that has appeared in smash before.

- Geno is by far the one most connected to Nintendo IP.

- Geno is the one with by far the longest-running and consistently active fan base for smash inclusion.

- Geno is the only character in the list that Sakurai has expressly stated as wanting to include.

- Geno would arguably provide the most long-term financial benefits to both Nintendo and Square (as far as them working together is concerned)

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I think the 2 Fan Requested characters are Geno and Banjo or Geno and Bandanna Waddle Dee. BDW placed #1 on that recent japan fan poll. Banjo places really high out here. So i honestly expect to see BWD over Banjo.

If the SE rep isnt a fan requested one, then maybe Banjo and BWD with Crono or Erdrick as the SE rep
I honestly misread the post and thought 2 SE characters lol. 2 fan requested sounds easier to understand. I agree

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

1. Tails
3. Dixie Kong
4. Sora
5. Someone from F-Zero
Tails is a big fat NO
Another Pokemon? Only if they wanted to start a riot.
Dixie Kong......possibly?
SE rep is likely but who knows if it's Sora exactly
F-Zero rep? See Tails.

Honestly, if you're new here....don't go running to one of the most popular support threads to say their fighter is "unlikely." It's happened on multiple threads and isn't a good idea if you're new. See yourself to the welcoming center or general discussion to get familiar.
Otherwise, I'm going to assume you're a troll or an alt, because this is literally your first post just coming here to diss another character. I've seen these things happen before. Can you at least prove you're being genuine?

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Could be good for us tho. He's new, he graced US with his first post! Goes to show even if ppl don't think Geno is going to make it, ppl are still TALKING about Geno and his chances. More buzz equals more popularity for Geno so people can't keep using the excuse he's a "literal who" or that 'no one knows who he is' for a reason hes not included. *Kanye shrug*

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Could be good for us tho. He's new, he graced US with his first post! Goes to show even if ppl don't think Geno is going to make it, ppl are still TALKING about Geno and his chances. More buzz equals more popularity for Geno so people can't keep using the excuse he's a "literal who" or that 'no one knows who he is' for a reason hes not included. *Kanye shrug*
Well, to be honest, people on Smashboards might know who Geno is, but that doesn't account for the whole of the Smash fanbase. More importantly, today's youth and non-Nintendo fans, a new demographic Nintendo is trying to reach with Smash, probably have absolutely no idea who Geno is.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I don’t know what the case is, but why would someone not take the Verg statement “don’t take Geno too seriously” at face value? I don’t know what the history is to have reason to doubt it.

Thinking about reactions of the general Smash player to Geno, I think if a character has a cool move set, stage, and music, people will accept anyone. Like no one would ever have wanted piranha plant, but his intro video showed him off, made him look cool, and people got hyped.

For me it’s like Banjo. I absolutely don’t understand why anyone wants Banjo. I never played the games, he’s old and modernly irrelevant besides the fan base (so not irrelevant but everyone here knows what I mean when you hear that), and just looks goofy to me. And, I don’t understand why Nintendo/Microsoft would ever pick him over Master Chief (whom I think would be awesome), an objectively more popular and modernly relevant character than Banjo that would get much more general public hype than Banjo ever could, by a huge margin. Master Chief would have a cooler stage and music too. I even think Goku would be more interesting and bring way more to the table in every possible sense than Banjo, who is completely unknown to me and like Minecraft Steve is to most Smash fans.

But, if I saw a trailer of Banjo and he just looked interesting with cool music and a stage, I’d probably just think “oh sweet looks awesome”. Despite his oldness, anyone seeing a well-done Geno trailer will think he looks super cool, and a stage and song remixes of SMRPG would get any general player excited.

Really the criteria for a DLC character at this point is, who would have marketing potential, a cool stage and music, and make for new, interesting gameplay. Not gonna lie, a couple DQ characters (including Slime easily fits these criteria.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
As long as Geno is beeing discussed , it show that he's getting more and more popular.

Also , I found the "Litteraly who XD LMAO?" argument quite... Weak. Like , yeah , everyone did buy Roy because they played FE6! Or Bayonetta because they loveeeeed Bayonetta 2 on The Nintendo Wii U TM! Nope , just because they look cool and fun to play as. That's pretty much what is important to the casual audience lol

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
A F-Zero rep seems very unlikely. Unless there's a new F-Zero, there most likely won't be a new character.
Sad, but very true...(maybe one day...)

Anyway, Glad there's an official statement that everyone can see about Spirits not automatically disconfirming characters. Not that it will stop the brilliant minds at GameFAQs from saying otherwise.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don’t know what the case is, but why would someone not take the Verg statement “don’t take Geno too seriously” at face value? I don’t know what the history is to have reason to doubt it.

Thinking about reactions of the general Smash player to Geno, I think if a character has a cool move set, stage, and music, people will accept anyone. Like no one would ever have wanted piranha plant, but his intro video showed him off, made him look cool, and people got hyped.

For me it’s like Banjo. I absolutely don’t understand why anyone wants Banjo. I never played the games, he’s old and modernly irrelevant besides the fan base (so not irrelevant but everyone here knows what I mean when you hear that), and just looks goofy to me. And, I don’t understand why Nintendo/Microsoft would ever pick him over Master Chief (whom I think would be awesome), an objectively more popular and modernly relevant character than Banjo that would get much more general public hype than Banjo ever could, by a huge margin. Master Chief would have a cooler stage and music too. I even think Goku would be more interesting and bring way more to the table in every possible sense than Banjo, who is completely unknown to me and like Minecraft Steve is to most Smash fans.

But, if I saw a trailer of Banjo and he just looked interesting with cool music and a stage, I’d probably just think “oh sweet looks awesome”. Despite his oldness, anyone seeing a well-done Geno trailer will think he looks super cool, and a stage and song remixes of SMRPG would get any general player excited.

Really the criteria for a DLC character at this point is, who would have marketing potential, a cool stage and music, and make for new, interesting gameplay. Not gonna lie, a couple DQ characters (including Slime easily fits these criteria.
Yeah, I mean even some of Incineroar's detractors went "hey that's actually kind of cool" when they saw his reveal. Presentation makes all the difference when you want to sell a character's merits as an inclusion.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Well, to be honest, people on Smashboards might know who Geno is, but that doesn't account for the whole of the Smash fanbase. More importantly, today's youth and non-Nintendo fans, a new demographic Nintendo is trying to reach with Smash, probably have absolutely no idea who Geno is.
People keep talking about Geno not being known among the greater Smash fanbase but at this point with all the polls where he ends up near the top or the very top, all the hot takes with people discussing him as a potential character, and the placement of SMRPG on the SNES Classic that's pretty unbelievable. Not to mention the SNES Classic was huge with kids. At this point I would say that fans who even at minimum have looked at articles or watched videos about SSBU have at the very least heard of Geno and probably looked him up even if they haven't played SMRPG.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I've never met a genuine Mallow fan. I'd love him as an AT though. Dropping giant stars on people? Hilarious.
But yeah Geno was always the character people were like "I want more of this"
It ain’t over yet, folks.

Out of the potentials listed in Verge’s DM,

- Geno would be by far the easiest one to include.

- Geno is the only one that has appeared in smash before.

- Geno is by far the one most connected to Nintendo IP.

- Geno is the one with by far the longest-running and consistently active fan base for smash inclusion.

- Geno is the only character in the list that Sakurai has expressly stated as wanting to include.

- Geno would arguably provide the most long-term financial benefits to both Nintendo and Square (as far as them working together is concerned)
I honestly misread the post and thought 2 SE characters lol. 2 fan requested sounds easier to understand. I agree
I'd love to see Mallow as AT. I think it would be perfect.

I agree with all of your points as well bard. I think Sakurai securing that Mii Costume out of all other potential Square properties is wildly important. (Could also be a way to introduce fans to Geno before a possible inclusion) And is one of the few (VERY FEW) that havent been upgraded in some way shape or form in Smash Ult.

2 fan requested characters I see are possibly Geno and BWD because BWD places higher in polls in Japan and NoJ picked the list of fighters to choose from.

You may be right, but for example if this person is a troll or even if they are young, they had to have heard about Geno from somewhere (either on Smashboards or elsewhere, and thats only if they werent already following this page) found THIS page and posted on it. And while I hear you on the youth and non-Nintendo fans section, if thats the case I don't see how a SE rep other than Sephiroth or Luminary (and only based on how new DQ11 is) would help that point as far as Nintendo is concerned. Erdrick and Crono are too obscure for youth imo. Erdrick would only work for non Nintendo fans but also hardcore DQ fans.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Yeah, I mean even some of Incineroar's detractors went "hey that's actually kind of cool" when they saw his reveal. Presentation makes all the difference when you want to sell a character's merits as an inclusion.
Even moreso, look at Piranha Plant. Just saying, "Piranha Plant is playable" sounds silly.
Actually SEEING it in action, however? Now there are people interested in the character, including several in this very thread.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Sad but very true...

Anyway, Glad there's an official statement that everyone can see about Spirits not automatically disconfirming characters. Not that it will stop the brilliant minds at GameFAQs from saying otherwise.
"This obscure 20 year old one-off will never be in! Even though he's one of the most requested characters in the community and the least troublesome SE rep to get. We'll now proceed to repeat the same arguments over and over again".

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman

But we actually don't know what the criteria for DLC is yet. Look at Smash 4's DLC. Three of the seven selections were fan favorite / returning fighters. Cloud was chosen as the FF rep because he received the most votes on the ballot for that franchise. Ultimately, I think it's a balance between both fan desire and cold profit motives. A Dragon Quest character would make sense to me as would Master Chief. At the same time, Banjo and Geno would also make sense. Sakurai himself has said variety of motive and of moveset is essential when building a roster.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
There isn't a single Square Enix character in the running that applies to being marketed to today's youth.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
As long as Geno is beeing discussed , it show that he's getting more and more popular.

Also , I found the "Litteraly who XD LMAO?" argument quite... Weak. Like , yeah , everyone did buy Roy because they played FE6! Or Bayonetta because they loveeeeed Bayonetta 2 on The Nintendo Wii U TM! Nope , just because they look cool and fun to play as. That's pretty much what is important to the casual audience lol
Agreed. I had no idea what Fire Emblem OR Earthbound was before Smash. And I'm sure kids today may not know King K Rool or Ridley are being its been so long since theyve appeared in a game. (Especially K Rool.)

I think this factor could also be a potential in Geno's favor. If it worked for characters that Americans want and is more incentive to buy the game, why wouldnt NoJ want to replicate that kind of hype, but globally? (or at the very least in the East AND West.)

I bet if anyone saw a blue clad puppet who shot bullets and a kamehameha beam from his arm and turn into a cannon and explode the map as a star would go "I...want to play as that guy"

paper roxy

Smash Ace
yea, ive always hated incineroars design, even before the kencineroar stuff, but his fighting style looks fun

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
https://gematsu.com/2018/11/dragon-...-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-four-million

It's done quite well. I don't think that website has been updated for sales outside of japan, or to reflect current sales since they are just giving launch date sales, from what I can tell. I even recall hearing something about it in forbes.

https://gamingbolt.com/dragon-quest-11-had-biggest-launch-in-series-history-in-september-npd-analyst

No idea why they wouldn't update it though, perhaps the numbers are hard to find?
Okay, new data's entered the ring. Still seems to be underperforming DQ VIII though and we're still at the solid argument that most of the series' sales are in Japan (rough estimates put sales for this game at 20% or less, probably 7-8% NA and 12-13% Europe based on past games).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom