• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Basically Chrono and Geno
Those 2 honestly make the most sense, given all the points against Dragon Quest and the stinginess involving Final Fantasy.

Crono is a legal nightmare, so...

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If it does happen, rest assured there will be something Smash related in it. Same as every direct from now until the DLC is done. Unless it's a game-specific direct, I doubt they'll miss an opportunity to talk about their biggest Switch game ever.

Will there be character news, though? Eh, maybe not. But they always seem to slip that kind of stuff in there. Would love to get some DLC info dropped, though.

All that said, I'm still banking on a January direct instead.
Nah, I’m inclined to believe we won’t get any serious Smash DLC news until Ultimate is actually out. At best I could see an update for Piranha Plant like a proper release date, but I think they wanna take their time with the initial release and the development of DLC fighters.

It’s a big reason why I think they’ll avoid showing something Smash related at VGAs. Its just way too early when the game isn’t even out yet to be advertising the first paid DLC. Especially when a free one is still known and on the way. That’s much better to announce around the time Piranha Plant drops.

domriver

Smash Lord
So, after discussing things with another Geno Alliance member, Vergeben's weird theory is, just that, a weird theory that makes zero sense in context. Realistically, Vergeben's 7 basically gets narrowed down to 2.
Geno and Chrono is the only ones that come to mind. (considering everything) I really dont see another FF character popping in. Could be wrong though. but thats my initial thought. Geno and Chrono.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
whats this vergeben dm with polarpanda everyone keeps talking about?
Basically our boy Polar Panda got in contact in contact with Vergeben and Vergeben finally dropped the 7 characters he's been hearing since the summer.

Can you say which two?
Basically Geno and Erdrick. I can't say Vergeben's theory or what was specifically said in the DM but his theory makes little sense knowing what I now know about the history of the series. Erdrick is the equivalent of Marth is to Fire Emblem. He's the center topic for the first three games, is actually playable in the third, and pretty much a topic in passing or has cameos in every other mainline game, including Dragon Quest XI which is supposed to be a prequel to III. Dragon Quest III is also the game that has been released the most outside of Japan. For all intents and purposes, he's the main mascot, bar none. Putting Slime over Erdrick would be like putting in a Goomba before Mario. The interesting thing is that Erdrick was almost always mentioned with another character that appears on the list, making things very suspicious in my eyes.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I am hoping for some kind of "release" of at least the 1st DLC character, since it will set the tone for the rest of the DLC roster. The VGA is the perfect time, since it is a day before the release to try and get more to buy it the next day or start downloading it.

A T pose could do the trick if there has not been enough development yet. Not as exciting visually, but if Geno is the T pose I don't care!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Nah, I’m inclined to believe we won’t get any serious Smash DLC news until Ultimate is actually out. At best I could see an update for Piranha Plant like a proper release date, but I think they wanna take their time with the initial release and the development of DLC fighters.

It’s a big reason why I think they’ll avoid showing something Smash related at VGAs. Its just way too early when the game isn’t even out yet to be advertising the first paid DLC. Especially when a free one is still known and on the way. That’s much better to announce around the time Piranha Plant drops.
Yeah, fair enough. That's why I say January--late January, specifically. Drop the date of PP, and show off the next DLC. Makes sense to me. Given the spacing directs usually have, that'll give us a character every direct in 2019.

Pretty sweet deal, honestly.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Loto/Erdrick and Geno are my most wanted so I'd be set either way. Also idk why people are saying Chrono. He's owned by armor games and Toriyama as well.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Yeah, fair enough. That's why I say January--late January, specifically. Drop the date of PP, and show off the next DLC. Makes sense to me. Given the spacing directs usually have, that'll give us a character every direct in 2019.

Pretty sweet deal, honestly.
It's not necessarily impossible to get a DLC reveal before the game comes out. Mewtwo was revealed before S4WiiU was released (even if 3DS was already out...)
I could see them showing a release date for Piranha Plant, and then teasing the first character immediately afterward.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay, since Polar Panda said yes, Vergeben noted that Erdrick and Luminary were almost always mentioned together, theorizing that they could somehow be a composite character. This doesn't work for a number of reasons:

-their physical proportions are different
-their hair is different
-their swords are different
-their clothes are different
-Erdrick is almost always depicted with a shield

It just wouldn't work. For the reasons I gave in my last post, they would go with Erdrick before any other DQ character instead of making a ton of weird and unnecessary concessions to have both.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
It's not necessarily impossible to get a DLC reveal before the game comes out. Mewtwo was revealed before S4WiiU was released (even if 3DS was already out...)
I could see them showing a release date for Piranha Plant, and then teasing the first character immediately afterward.
Oh, it's certainly possible. And believe me, I'd love to get the news sooner than later. I just have this gut feeling about a January direct. I would love to be wrong, though!

Truthfully, I still cling to this fantasy that Sakurai will go big and just straight-up drop all five names at the VGAs...not likely at all, but man, that would be mind-blowingly hype.

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Okay, since Polar Panda said yes, Vergeben noted that Erdrick and Luminary were almost always mentioned together, theorizing that they would somehow be a composite character. This doesn't work for a number of reasons:

-their hair is different

It just wouldn't work. For the reasons I gave in my last post, they would go with Erdrick before any other DQ character instead of making a ton of weird and unnecessary concessions to have both.
The only way I see it working would be a Brawl-esque Zelda/Sheik combo, but Sakurai has moved away from those kinds of setups (sans Pokemon Trainer, who was part of the "Everyone is Here" feature).

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Polar Panda's mention of Verg's DM is cool.

Although since people found the name Chrono in Smash's files.. It might be him. If not Geno, Chrono would be my second choice from the list. I really hope it's not Sephiroth.
Where have you been getting this information?

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Okay, since Polar Panda said yes, Vergeben noted that Erdrick and Luminary were almost always mentioned together, theorizing that they could somehow be a composite character. This doesn't work for a number of reasons:

-their hair is different

spoilers for dq11

Um, well in DQ 11, the Luminary is a title. Erdrick is the first luminary, so its not entirely out of the picture. But i still feel like the composer might be hard to work with.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Can PolarPanda post a picture of the DM's?

I would like proof that he's actually talking to Vergeben and not making this up.
Not that you know who I am or really have any reason to believe me, but I can tell you he's not making this up.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Hella bias incoming
Sephiroth would be worse, cause hes awful.
at least sephiroth would be a villain for a franchise instead of just another character that isnt relevant to smash or western audiences. idk why but i really like when we get new villain characters in smash

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
it'd be nice if we could have a threadwide moratorium on other SE characters for at least 24 hours

Geno thread really ought to be talking about Geno

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Polar Panda's mention of Verg's DM is cool.

Although since people found the name Chrono in Smash's files.. It might be him. If not Geno, Chrono would be my second choice from the list. I really hope it's not Sephiroth.
Do you have a source for finding Chrono in the game's files?

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
at least sephiroth would be a villain for a franchise instead of just another character that isnt relevant to smash or western audiences. idk why but i really like when we get new villain characters in smash
I feel like we've been hit hard with villains as of late. with PP Ridley K Rool and Dark Samus. Plus if I wanted an FF villian, I want the only one that matters, Kefka.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like we've been hit hard with villains as of late. with PP Ridley K Rool and Dark Samus. Plus if I wanted an FF villian, I want the only one that matters, Kefka.
Ah, a man of culture I see. Anyways, I considered your point but why mention them separately in the same statement? It'd be like saying, "Man, Fatmanonice and Eric really suck; I wish they'd fall face first into a Long John Silvers' grease trap."

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
it'd be nice if we could have a threadwide moratorium on other SE characters for at least 24 hours

I'm not talking for everyone in this thread, but there's only so much you can talk about Geno. At this point we've probably discussed every chance Geno has 3 times over, the only remaining thing to do is discard his main competitors, the other possible Squeenix reps.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
i can't be the only one who thinks erdrick would be the least hype reveal for square
Definitely a testament to Dragon Quest's lack of interest in the Smash community.

Maybe not the least hype (as there's always something worse), but it definitely wouldn't be all that hype.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, it's certainly possible. And believe me, I'd love to get the news sooner than later. I just have this gut feeling about a January direct. I would love to be wrong, though!

Truthfully, I still cling to this fantasy that Sakurai will go big and just straight-up drop all five names at the VGAs...not likely at all, but man, that would be mind-blowingly hype.
Apart from that, TGA is sure to have some sort of other possible big news on the level of Psychonauts and the Shaq Fu sequel. These 10 days can't go any faster...

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Given the circumstances, it's virtually impossible not to especially now that we have a literal list of 6 competitors from the most reliable insider this cycle

Also, on the topic of Luminary being a title/class, when it comes to Erdrick, the most often used title is "Hero" kind of like how the traditional class of Ash/Red/Satoshi is Pokemon Trainer.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Well I mean they already told us before the game is out how much the Fighters Pass is, and you can buy it literally right now. I see no reason as to why revealing one of the characters on the list would be a problem. But I do agree it might be murky timing. One at a time could be smoother. t'd be good to get news sooner than later tho.

Basically Geno and Erdrick. I can't say Vergeben's theory or what was specifically said in the DM but his theory makes little sense knowing what I now know about the history of the series. Erdrick is the equivalent of Marth is to Fire Emblem. He's the center topic for the first three games, is actually playable in the third, and pretty much a topic in passing or has cameos in every other mainline game, including Dragon Quest XI which is supposed to be a prequel to III. Dragon Quest III is also the game that has been released the most outside of Japan. For all intents and purposes, he's the main mascot, bar none. Putting Slime over Erdrick would be like putting in a Goomba before Mario. The interesting thing is that Erdrick was almost always mentioned with another character that appears on the list, making things very suspicious in my eyes.
I agree. Thats why I think slime will be the series logo for DQ if its DQ and also why I placed Erdrick above Luminary in terms of likelihood.

Sure. But a bit of a correction, note that Verge is making estimations on the DQ thing. He believes since he's heard it the most that it has to be the most true. However, he's heard all of the 6 within the same range (from 1-2 people). He has a bit of bias against Geno too. It's telling that even when he personally thinks Geno isn't in, he's still getting people getting somebody else telling him Geno. DQ, Crono, and Sephiroth have been the ones he's heard the most, though spread pretty evenly. With Geno close behind.

Somebody on the Speculation general thread said something completely untrue. No, the DMs I have with Vege are not old. They are incredibly recent. And no, Geno is not deconfirmed, lol. As you probably already know, the Geno rumor from NoA is still solid and Verge still does not believe Geno is out of the running. He's heard him less than other names, yeah, and he's incredibly skeptical of Geno, yeah, but that's not deconfirmation. And I'm not 'stupid' for saying his info on Smashboards. The fans deserve to know, and it's not like every character on that list is going to be confirmed. Verge just didn't want to say it because he didn't want to face backlash if he was misinterpreted. So I did it for him.
I appreciate you. Forreal. I heard the Smash community can get pretty toxic (check Hitagi's reddit, even Verge doesn't like the community that much) so they might be flooding with insults or questions or opinions.

I think it's more important to note that Geno is still definitely in the running. Source credibility could play a factor as well. If a source with more credibility has said Geno, even if it's less in amount, it would be more in effect.

-their hair is different

Potentially a mistranslation? Someone said
Erdrick is the first Luminary, and the "Luminary" of DQ11 is an ancestor to Erdrick from DQIII as well as the first ever "Erdrick". Confusing, I know.
But that could be potentially why and as im typing this I see why you said the list is down to two. Maybe Erdrick with a Luminary skin/secondary char like Cloud had two forms? With the different weapons and armor too? First character to get two playstyles? It also could be just Verge has limited knowledge on the DQ franchise as well so he doesn't know the connection.

Any reason why you ruled Crono out?

I think it would be fair if he just straight up told us everyone who was in it.

i can't be the only one who thinks erdrick would be the least hype reveal for square
I think it wouldn't be as hype as Geno for sure. A lot of people are saying we're underestimating DQ's popularity but I don't think so. I don't even think its an argument about DQ's popularity, it's just Geno has much more history in Smash than DQ. Period. No one was talking about DQ being in Smash until this year. People have been wanting Geno for years, and thus keeping him relevant. Sakurai wanted him. We want him. And we got the Mii Costume. He's all over speculation websites and articles and YouTube videos and has been for years.

Given the circumstances, it's virtually impossible not to especially now that we have a literal list of 6 competitors from the most reliable insider this cycle

Also, on the topic of Luminary being a title/class, when it comes to Erdrick, the most often used title is "Hero" kind of like how the traditional class of Ash/Red/Satoshi is Pokemon Trainer.
So just a DQ "Hero" to encompass all of DQ? I could see that happening, but I also think it would be much more difficult than to just...make Geno. His moveset is RIGHT THERE, Mii Costume can return, you have him as a spirit already so you secured image rights, and music and stage would be easier as well

Last edited:

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
I wouldn't discourage or underestimate the other possible Square Characters. Anything can happen in life.

TheSixthSaint

Smash Rookie

-their hair is different

The Luminary can use a sword, sword and shield, two swords, or a greatsword (two-handed sword).
Square Enix is selling Bings Arts Figures of Erdrick as well as The Luminary.
Here are the links to those:
https://store.na.square-enix-games....st-iii-the-seeds-of-salvation-bring-arts-hero
https://store.na.square-enix-games....oes-of-an-elusive-age-bring-arts-the-luminary
https://store.na.square-enix-games....ing-arts-the-luminary-limited-metal-slime-ver

Here's the Erdrick figure:

And here's The Luminary figure:

spoilers for dq11

Um, well in DQ 11, the Luminary is a title. Erdrick is the first luminary, so its not entirely out of the picture. But i still feel like the composer might be hard to work with.
Just quoting this since yeah. It wouldn't be that farfetched to consider when you think about it. Especially if you've played Dragon Quest XI.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Ah, a man of culture I see. Anyways, I considered your point but why mention them separately in the same statement? It'd be like saying, "Man, Fatmanonice and Eric really suck; I wish they'd fall face first into a Long John Silvers' grease trap."
Man now I miss LJS, we don't have them here anymore.
Bring me some LJS, don't fall in the grease trap. thx

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Okay. Here's what I will do. I'm not sharing these DMs with everybody, I will share them with a few trusted members like Fatmanonice. DM me and I may share them with you only if I trust you enough. But I will, however, tell you the list of characters Verge mentioned.

Sephiroth, Crono, and DQ characters are the 3 he heard most. The DQ characters include Erdrick, Luminary who is the DQ11 protagonist, and Slime. He only heard Slime from 1 person. That's 5 of the characters right there. Geno is the sixth. He's heard Geno but he was told to "not take him too seriously". This sounds like bias, personally. The seventh character, Sora, he said "was told to him as NOT in the game". If Geno was deconfirmed, he would have said the same thing he did with Sora. However, ofc, it seems like his bias puts him on iffy terms with Geno, but it's still noteworthy that he's heard Geno. Which matches my source. So, in total, the names are:

-Sephiroth
-Crono
-Erdrick
-Luminary (Dq11)
-Slime
-Geno
-Sora (who is NOT in)
Well, I was right about Sephiroth being one of the mentioned ones; I thought Black Mage definitely would've been in there, but I guess not. That's quite the interesting list... I'm very surprised he heard about Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom