• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I bet if anyone saw a blue clad puppet who shot bullets and a kamehameha beam from his arm and turn into a cannon and explode the map as a star would go "I...want to play as that guy"
I know this is irrelevant to the DLC discussion, but I always felt that a full-blown CGI trailer for Geno's inclusion would've been absolutely stunning, and would've made most everyone who watched it think "maaaaan...this guy looks awesome."

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
There isn't a single Square Enix character in the running that applies to being marketed to today's youth.
Other than Incineroar, Daisy and maybe partially Isabelle, there aren't really any characters put in with the intention of appealing to the kids. "How do you do, fellow gamers?" That argument may be one of the worst.

Smash has always been a gateway to getting people into series they've never tried before.
When I was 8, and I played Smash 64 for the first time, I had no idea what F-Zero or Captain Falcon were. I just knew Falcon as the superhero guy that yells and punches hard.
Then when I finally played F-Zero GX, I was hooked to the series.

The point is, saying Geno wouldn't appeal to the kids of today is silly. Unless they purposefully made him look stupid or weird, he'd get tons of new fans whether they've heard of Mario RPG or not.

Last edited:

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
I know this is irrelevant to the DLC discussion, but I always felt that a full-blown CGI trailer for Geno's inclusion would've been absolutely stunning, and would've made most everyone who watched it think "maaaaan...this guy looks awesome."
Too bad DLC characters don't get CGI trailers. Poor Ryu, Ken got a CGI trailer before him!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Find me a 12 year old that hasn't played Ice Climber, any F-Zero game, or Earthbound because of Smash and I might take the "oh, modern audiences wouldn't know them" semi seriously. Hell, find me a 12 year old outside the Smash community who even knew who Lucas, Corrin, Roy, and Bayonetta were for that matter. It's such a lame argument given how a good chunk of people didn't even know WTF Fox and Samus were in the original despite being big Nintendo icons. Marth? Game and Watch? Duck Hunt? Let's not kid ourselves. Your typical 12 year old probably doesn't even know who Simon Belmont is.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
lmao, in truth id gladly give up cloud for anyone else on my list of characters.
I'm not the kind of guy to say "I'll give up this character if we can get this one"(Except if It's a gacha mobile rep because I hate how mobile games are designed) because I always regret it.

However , Cloud made me suffer a lot in Sm4sh as a competitive player (Oh my god the Pac-man/Cloud MU is a nightmare) so , I wouldn't mind at all if he just left , if they can't balance him properly.

But if I have to give up Cloud for Geno , I'm doing it without hesitation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Oh , this explain a lot of things. Poor Cloud.
Yeah...given these circumstances, he's the only character that would be 99% guaranteed to be cut in a sequel.

Too bad DLC characters don't get CGI trailers. Poor Ryu, Ken got a CGI trailer before him!
I hope that only applied to 4, and there's actually more budget this time. Even anime style or in-game graphics from a character's source game would do.

lmao, in truth id gladly give up cloud for anyone else on my list of characters.
I'd swap him out for Cecil, that guy was a bigger part of Nintendo history anyway. And FFIV got completely snubbed even though it had a follow-up on the Wii.

Last edited:

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
There's still a part of me who believes that even though none of the Smash 4 DLC characters got CG cutscene reveal trailers, that there's still hope we could get some for Ultimate. It's a foolish hope, but honestly I'll remain a fool until the first character is revealed and my hopes dashed.

Like I said earlier in the thread, we're probably going to get robbed of cutscenes, trophies and even possibly music and a stage if they don't have to originate with the same franchise as the revealed character, but at least a DLC is guaranteed an Amiibo and that's pretty cool in of itself.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
>"People wouldn't connect with Geno because of his obscurity."

>Twitter, Deviant Art, and Tumblr were flooded with fan art of emotionally wrecked fans when Lucas and Ice Climbers were initially cut from Smash 4.

Mmhmm.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
>"People wouldn't connect with Geno because of his obscurity."

>Twitter, Deviant Art, and Tumblr were flooded with fan art of emotionally wrecked fans when Lucas and Ice Climbers were initially cut from Smash 4.

Mmhmm.
We can go even further than this. When Roy was cut from Brawl and base-game 4, there was a legitimately surprising number of people that were saddened by his exclusion, despite his game never coming officially to the West (his Fire Emblem game, not Melee of course.)

Also, holy cow, there are 62 users and 126 guests in this thread at the time of this writing. "Geno is irrelevant" indeed.

Last edited:

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
If Geno gets in, smash will undoubtedly rocket his popularity into semi-mainstream appeal. The character does great when given any exposure at all, and you can’t do much better then playable in Smash.

People would be asking for him in Kart, Party, Aces, etc...

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
There's still a part of me who believes that even though none of the Smash 4 DLC characters got CG cutscene reveal trailers, that there's still hope we could get some for Ultimate. It's a foolish hope, but honestly I'll remain a fool until the first character is revealed and my hopes dashed.

Like I said earlier in the thread, we're probably going to get robbed of cutscenes, trophies and even possibly music and a stage if they don't have to originate with the same franchise as the revealed character, but at least a DLC is guaranteed an Amiibo and that's pretty cool in of itself.
Well, hey, if the SE rep was chosen back in 2015 with the rest of the newcomers (explaining why Verge knew about it before DLC was finalized by Nintendo), then it's possible they've got one in the works for the character.

I'll be a fool with you.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
ABSOLUTELY SAME. It would be the first CGI render of Geno SINCE SMRPG. And to make his triumphant return in SMASH nontheless?? *insert Emperor's New Groove Pacha meme here* I could hear him saying on his entrance "Looks like my wish was granted"

Also SUCH a missed opportunity as it would've been excellent to see him in WoL and in the WoL trailer.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
We can go even further than this. When Roy was cut from Brawl and base-game 4, there was a legitimately surprising number of people that were saddened by his exclusion, despite his game never coming officially to the West (his Fire Emblem game, not Melee of course.)

Also, holy cow, there are 62 users and 126 guests in this thread at the time of this writing. "Geno is irrelevant" indeed.
Lot's of stuff has been going on, especially with characters like Geno. Helps that this is such a big thread and that it's post rate is accelerating.
If Geno gets in, smash will undoubtedly rocket his popularity into semi-mainstream appeal. The character does great when given any exposure at all, and you can’t do much better then playable in Smash.

People would be asking for him in Kart, Party, Aces, etc...
And Square could easily see that as well, be it through royalties for each inclusion or Nintendo buying the SMRPG IP outright.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Yeah...given these circumstances, he's the only character that would be 99% guaranteed to be cut in a sequel.

I hope that only applied to 4, and there's actually more budget this time. Even anime style or in-game graphics from a character's source game would do.

I'd swap him out for Cecil, that guy was a bigger part of Nintendo history anyway. And FFIV got completely snubbed even though it had a follow-up on the Wii.
Imagine him, Kain or Rydia in Smash. This however, doesn't seem likely at all sadly.

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Also SUCH a missed opportunity as it would've been excellent to see him in WoL and in the WoL trailer.
Oh I know...The plot of WoL (and the concept of spirits in general) just screams Geno. Sakurai bias notwithstanding, Geno could've totally been the last one standing at the end of that intro.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Oh I know...The plot of WoL (and the concept of spirits in general) just screams Geno. Sakurai bias notwithstanding, Geno could've totally been the last one standing at the end of that intro.
Idk, although Geno is very fast, would he be able to outrun the lightbeams? Kirby had his star that could travel at lightspeeds.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Oh , this explain a lot of things. Poor Cloud.
Am I the only one who sorta thinks Square's protectiveness of their original characters is kind of unfounded? Like, they sound like a amateur artist who posts a character online and says "plz don't steal," because they think they're so original. I mean yeah, several of the games are iconic, but most of their own characters are fairly cardboard anime heroes. It seems the more desireable, original characters are ones they made for someone else (Geno, Sora, etc.) While Cloud and Sephiroth and pretty much all FF characters seem kinda...flat in comparison.

Not trying to hate on anyone who likes those characters, and granted, I have lots of bias, as well as no actual experience with FF. And I'm not saying those characters don't have ANY originality, just not enough to be so unrealistically overprotective of them. They act like Cloud is as compelling a character design as Nintendo feels Mario is, given the similar licensing treatment. And they have a right to do that, I guess. But to me, it just looks like they're a little deluded and need to loosen up.

For the record, I actually like Cloud in Smash. Same as I like Shulk. And a bunch of other RPG protags that are similar in design and backstory. But I can acknowledge they aren't very original. It looks to me like Square can't, is all.

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Idk, although Geno is very fast, would he be able to outrun the lightbeams? Kirby had his star that could travel at lightspeeds.
Yeah, Geno in doll form probably wouldn't be able to outrun it, but something tells me Geno in star form could.

Actually, that reminds me of something I've often wondered. How much do you think Sakurai would play on the idea that Geno is possessing the doll, and not the doll itself? I don't know how it would really translate into gameplay mechanics, but it'd be interesting if he somehow did reference that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, Geno in doll form probably wouldn't be able to outrun it, but something tells me Geno in star form could.

Actually, that reminds me of something I've often wondered. How much do you think Sakurai would play on the idea that Geno is possessing the doll, and not the doll itself? I don't know how it would really translate into gameplay mechanics, but it'd be interesting if he somehow did reference that.
He may reference it in Geno's opening animation, taunts or victory animation.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Polar Panda's mention of Verg's DM is cool.

Although since people found the name Chrono in Smash's files.. It might be him. If not Geno, Chrono would be my second choice from the list. I really hope it's not Sephiroth.

domriver

Smash Lord
It completely does. I was the one guessing that Geno would be showed last due to his inclusion in the adventure mode. (oh boy how wrong i was) but oh well.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
>there are rumors of a Direct announcement happening tomorrow

View attachment 180060

Will obviously have nothing to do with Smash, but I didn't actually thought it was going to happen at this point this month.
So, what do you think this Direct would be about, then? :)

Animal Crossing 2019, more Mario Kart 8 DLC, maybe even a New Zelda game? Who knows...

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Not sure how much I believe a direct for tomorrow. The only musings I see about it are from LaxChris and uh, he posts everything.

BUT maybe yeah the new Animal Crossing. idk i dont see much for Nintendo to announce

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
So, what do you think this Direct would be about, then? :)

Animal Crossing 2019, more Mario Kart 8 DLC, maybe even a New Zelda game? Who knows...
Metroid Prime 4, Town (new GameFreak game), Luigi's Mansion 3, more ports, more Nindies, etc.

I could see a sneaky Smash DLC announcement appearing at the end, though...

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, after discussing things with another Geno Alliance member, Vergeben's weird theory is, just that, a weird theory that makes zero sense in context. Realistically, Vergeben's 7 basically gets narrowed down to 2.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
>there are rumors of a Direct announcement happening tomorrow

View attachment 180060

Will obviously have nothing to do with Smash, but I didn't actually thought it was going to happen at this point this month.
If it does happen, rest assured there will be something Smash related in it. Same as every direct from now until the DLC is done. Unless it's a game-specific direct, I doubt they'll miss an opportunity to talk about their biggest Switch game ever.

Will there be character news, though? Eh, maybe not. But they always seem to slip that kind of stuff in there. Would love to get some DLC info dropped, though.

All that said, I'm still banking on a January direct instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom