• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think this is the most underrated theme in the game. The scenario is just so damn goofy, even for Mario standards. It's an uphill chase while, for some unknown reason, barrels are coming down and the Snifts actually lift up their robes and flutter their legs to run at you. That's funny, pure and simple.

Honestly I feel the opposite. I like Crono as a character and enjoyed the game but if he got in over Geno that'd be a direct slap in the face. He's a character from an identical genre and released around the same time but with much less support to be in the game than Geno. At least with the other choices I can on some level see why they would choose them over Geno but for Crono he has the same things going for him but is much less in demand for Smash.

I can't imagine after all this time we supported Geno and they recognize that with a ****ing spirit but then they make a character with almost identical circumstances that really hasn't been asked for in Smash in any significant capacity since the Brawl days into a playable character out of nowhere.

I understand that people like Crono, as I do as well. But I wouldn't see his inclusion as anything other than pissing on our graves
I feel you on this but for me personally Crono would sting the least by far. Nostalgia wise, SMRPG is King in my heart but Chrono Trigger is definitely second. Despite this, it wouldn't hurt as much but it would still be wildly unfair for the reasons you listed.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
I've been a Geno supporter for 10 years and it kinda surprises me that everyone still thinks he could be DLC.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Man... All of this sound so fishy.

"Don't take Geno too seriously" it could mean so much things. Poor leakbait strategy , negative bias , he's a spirit so It's dead , ect...

I think the most important thing is that the SE rep is probably the first to be revealed. I don't think they can pick anyone , the first one must be a heavy hitter to convince people to buy the fighter pass. Picking a DQ rep with no maingame on the Switch is... Weird. Especially with the lack of requests.

Sephiroth could work , but balance wise , dear lord , if you thought Cloud had too much range , wtf is a Sephiroth. It also give the message "Yeah , the DLCs are top tier , you gotta buy em' mah boi." wich isn't pretty good lol

Crono... That may be a sleeper pick , if the Chrono Trigger sequel/port/remaster/remake/amiibo/whatever it is , is coming to Switch at the same time. But that would be kinda... Annoying. He's a similar situation to Geno , but harder to get , and even less requests.

Sora's dead for Smash. I always thought him beeing first didn't make any sense.

Vergeben giving us the SE rep list is huge in my opinion , and the SE rep must be Somewhere in it.

But seriously , this list is pretty much "DQ , Goku with a Sword and Puppet Boy". And even , if Crono is the SE rep... It must be big bias from Sakurai.
I mean , yeah , Sakurai bias is kind of a thing... But he never said anything about Chrono Trigger , and even if his favorite genre is RPG... Well every freaking SE rep come from a RPG.

It just sound fishy , Chrono and Geno just stick out so much compared to the DQ avalanche of characters.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder if someone could have seen erdrick and confused them for crono

Last edited:

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
> comes into the Geno thread

> is surprised that we're supporting Geno

Damn what a concept
I'm not surprised that you're supporting Geno I'm just (happily) surprised that people are optimistic

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Going over Polar Panda's DM, based on how Vergeben talks, it's technically narrowed down to 5 characters but I don't know if Polar Panda wants me to share that detail why. I'll just say it would be a really big concession and showing absurd amounts of favoritism that have never been done for a third party character before.
that'd be every iteration of the hero through every dragon quest
2 SE reps.
Both Slime and Erdrick? Geno and Erdrick? Or the entire DQ IV/VIII party swappable ala Pokémon Trainer?

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Man... All of this sound so fishy.

"Don't take Geno too seriously" it could mean so much things. Poor leakbait strategy , negative bias , he's a spirit so It's dead , ect...

I think the most important thing is that the SE rep is probably the first to be revealed. I don't think they can pick anyone , the first one must be a heavy hitter to convince people to buy the fighter pass. Picking a DQ rep with no maingame on the Switch is... Weird. Especially with the lack of requests.

Sephiroth could work , but balance wise , dear lord , if you thought Cloud had too much range , wtf is a Sephiroth. It also give the message "Yeah , the DLCs are top tier , you gotta buy em' mah boi." wich isn't pretty good lol

Crono... That may be a sleeper pick , if the Chrono Trigger sequel/port/remaster/remake/amiibo/whatever it is , is coming to Switch at the same time. But that would be kinda... Annoying. He's a similar situation to Geno , but harder to get , and even less requests.

Sora's dead for Smash. I always thought him beeing first didn't make any sense.

Vergeben giving us the SE rep list is huge in my opinion , and the SE rep must be Somewhere in it.

But seriously , this list is pretty much "DQ , Goku with a Sword and Puppet Boy". And even , if Crono is the SE rep... It must be big bias from Sakurai.
I mean , yeah , Sakurai bias is kind of a thing... But he never said anything about Chrono Trigger , and even if his favorite genre is RPG... Well every freaking SE rep come from a RPG.

It just sound fishy , Chrono and Geno just stick out so much compared to the DQ avalanche of characters.
Yeah, I know various people in this thread have been discussing the "don't take Geno too seriously" line at length but to me, it honestly sounds like more evidence in favor of Geno. I just can't logically see a reason why a random guy from Vergeben's sources would be told about Geno being leakbait but no other picks (that we know of) unless the reason is that Square told many people Geno is leakbait solely for the purpose of hiding the fact that Geno IS in fact in the game, and that they're using the "don't take Geno too seriously" line as a way of deterring the spoiler from fans if Geno was going to be hypothetically leaked.

Edit: Furthermore, with the recent news on Vergeben's Minecraft sources being wrong, I honestly am starting to be inclined to doubt any of Vergeben's sources relating to DLC until they are released. I have no doubt that Vergeben has legitimate sources, which is why he knew about the base game, but like many other people have said: DLCs are a totally different beast and even numerous leakers like Hitagi and Ryce have mentioned/implied that no one knows anything for certain.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
People are thinking "don't take him too seriously" means that Geno is disconfirmed, but tbh what was said about Geno is way better than what was said about Sora, it's just that some people think SE sees Geno as a joke...

I still think he could happen, I'd be happier with him than any of the others (I'd take Crono or Slime, though, if we don't get Geno).

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I think it’s unlikely to confuse Erdrick and Crono (although both Toriyama designs so maybe?) but the design are pretty different and distinct.

I’m starting to place Erdrick over Luminary at this point in terms of how likely which DQ Rep it could be, because apparently Erdrick is like a big deal in DQ lore spanning several games. Later games in the franchise go to lengths to detail things about Erdrick and his past, armor and weapons and how they came to be, so I feel if NoJ or SE wanted to pick a character to encompass that, it would be Erdrick, with a bunch of colors, alternate skins, armor changes, and nods to past games and characters like Luminary (maybe Luminary AT?) to correlate with Fatman’s statement of how convoluted but how much detail and favoritism a rep would get.

I honestly think it’s between Geno, Erdrick, Crono, and Sephiroth at this point. With the last two being the least likely imo

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Keep in mind, Verge also didn't believe the source who told him K. Rool was in.

So who knows at this point.

I'd frankly be fine with all of the other options, though.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
tbh, if SE really saw Geno as a joke and didn't care about him nor SMRPG itself at all, you'd think they wouldn't have allowed Geno's and Mallow's presence in Smash (Geno's Mii Costume in Smash 4, the Spirits in Ultimate) nor include SMRPG music in Fortune Street...

Although, they do seem resistant on including SMRPG characters as playable, sadly...but maybe they're warming up to it...

It was that his source told him there wouldn't be any new DK characters, but he wasn't sure so he asked loz18 who ended up being a troll.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Imagine it being sepiroth a smash having access to more FF7 music but not adding it until DLC.

Another stage and more music with sepiroth? I kind of doubt it's him

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Erik has a lot more leverage than "the luminary" or Erdrick. with his level of popularity and the fact they are doing a spin off monsters game with him that is getting a global release. Japan might be hyped about Erdrick, but everywhere to the west of japan is gonna go "who?" Erik is current.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I feel like Erik has a lot more leverage than "the luminary" or Erdrick. with his level of popularity and the fact they are doing a spin off monsters game with him that is getting a global release. Japan might be hyped about Erdrick, but everywhere to the west of japan is gonna go "who?" Erik is current.
Who is Erik?

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman

Also keeping this in mind, I wonder WHICH source told Verge which character. He mentions a few times that he has a source that is one of his most trusted and accurate. If I’m not mistaken this is the source that told him Inceniroar and the Minecraft Boss. I assume this could be the source that told him Sora was out since that was so definitive. He could be hearing specific SE reps from sources with less traction than his trusted one(s).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That seems sensical, though I would have preferred Terry as the DQM rep, seeing as he came first.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Character from DQ11 that basically goes through the most story elements in the game. Has his own set of side quests, a huge reveal in the main story, and basically speaks for you, since DQ protags don't speak ever.
That's not one of Verg's 7 though

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
That seems sensical, though I would have preferred Terry as the DQM rep, seeing as he came first.
While I can see the reason for that, Terrys wonderland was already remastered and redone, and it was passed over outside of Japan. Plus, Terry didn't fight at all unless you count staffs. Erik is both a DQ character and a DQM character. I could be wrong, but if nintendo truely made all the decisions for DLC, Erik is a safe bet, since it will help them sell 2 games in the next year, as DQ11 isn't out on switch yet.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Weirdly enough , Geno wasn't one of the most heard names + "don't take him too seriously"... I mean , if it was a SE employee who told him that , it wouldn't surprise me.

SMRPG to SE is still a SNES RPG with some re-releases. It isn't their biggest game despise having very good sales , and it didn't get a remake/sequel. They can't get anything out of it without Nintendo.

DQ is the second biggest franchise they have , and they still have the rights to port Chrono Trigger over and over. That's why they thought it was more likely in my opinion.

Except for Smash , Geno isn't often talked about (except in Mario RPGs discussions) , it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the SE staff don't know Geno. And even if they know him , at first glance , AT FIRST GLANCE , he's just a simple party member with a cool design for them.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Weirdly enough , Geno wasn't one of the most heard names + "don't take him too seriously"... I mean , if it was a SE employee who told him that , it wouldn't surprise me.

SMRPG to SE is still a SNES RPG with some re-releases. It isn't their biggest game despise having very good sales , and it didn't get a remake/sequel. They can't get anything out of it without Nintendo.

DQ is the second biggest franchise they have , and they still have the rights to port Chrono Trigger over and over. That's why they thought it was more likely in my opinion.

Except for Smash , Geno isn't often talked about (except in Mario RPGs discussions) , it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the SE staff don't know Geno. And even if they know him , at first glance , AT FIRST GLANCE , he's just a simple party member with a cool design for them.
It didn't get a sequel because of SE though, that's their own fault for having a meltdown over the n64 sticking to carts instead of going to CD's

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Imagine it being sepiroth a smash having access to more FF7 music but not adding it until DLC.

Another stage and more music with sepiroth? I kind of doubt it's him
This would also be strange to me seeing as how Cloud was last to get in the BASE GAME. And he’s RETURNING. Unless this rumor is false I see that as a huge unlikely for anymore old FF characters. And it would be odd to wait until DLC (which was just finalized like a couple weeks ago) to do more FF content. But from a business standpoint I guess? Only handing out certain things to Nintendo for free until paid DLC comes along to open the floodgates for more FF stuff.

And tbh I have no idea who pretty much any Dragon Quest character is outside the Luminary (only because he’s new) and the Bandanna One from VII (only one I played). AND THERES ONLY ROOM FOR ONE BANDANNA CHARACTER IN SMASH

Jokes aside, I’d also like to keep in mind that if Nintendo is really listening to fans, than Geno has been requested and speculated much much longer than our other potential reps. A DQ Rep wasn’t even thought about until THIS year (and I think LeakyPanda was the first to speculate this).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Slime

Good points, just that since I don't know much about DQ, I view Slime that way lol
Are you aware of the meaning of the word ‘literal’?

> comes into the Geno thread

> is surprised that we're supporting Geno

Damn what a concept
Supporting a character is not the same as thinking they are likely. There is such a thing as rooting for the underdog.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
This would also be strange to me seeing as how Cloud was last to get in the BASE GAME. And he’s RETURNING. Unless this rumor is false I see that as a huge unlikely for anymore old FF characters. And it would be odd to wait until DLC (which was just finalized like a couple weeks ago) to do more FF content. But from a business standpoint I guess? Only handing out certain things to Nintendo for free until paid DLC comes along to open the floodgates for more FF stuff.

And tbh I have no idea who pretty much any Dragon Quest character is outside the Luminary (only because he’s new) and the Bandanna One from VII (only one I played). AND THERES ONLY ROOM FOR ONE BANDANNA CHARACTER IN SMASH

Jokes aside, I’d also like to keep in mind that if Nintendo is really listening to fans, than Geno has been requested and speculated much much longer than our other potential reps. A DQ Rep wasn’t even thought about until THIS year (and I think LeakyPanda was the first to speculate this).
Too bad that somehow Adeleine is now a likelier candidate than Bandana Dee.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman

DQ reps are being speculated because of the worldwide success of DQ11, Nintendo supposedly deciding the DLC this time around, and the game not being out yet on switch. Why they'd go back to Erdrick or any other older DQ rep confuses me though, if they are trying to use the DLC to just market new things.

D

Deleted member

Are you aware of the meaning of the word ‘literal’?

Supporting a character is not the same as thinking they are likely. There is such a thing as rooting for the underdog.
Yeah, that's why I view Slime the way I do.....

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
DQ reps are being speculated because of the worldwide success of DQ11, Nintendo supposedly deciding the DLC this time around, and the game not being out yet on switch. Why they'd go back to Erdrick or any other older DQ rep confuses me though, if they are trying to use the DLC to just market new things.
But wasn’t LeakyPanda the first person to say it could be a DQ Rep? Nier: A was a very successful game but apparently 2B isn’t in the running. I think DQ has a better history with Nintendo and in gaming in general however. And is this to say there could be a planned Switch port of DQ11?

Also if PolarPanda’s source’s theory is correct, Nintendo is likely to choose 2 fan requested characters. I’m not sure DQ has enough fan traction to fill one of those slots (IF the SE rep is a fan requested one), and I certainly doubt it’s more fan traction than Geno, whatever the traction may be.
He also said no one knows DLC (as evidenced by the list) .

EDIT: I’m still also of the mind that Sakurai picked DLC characters based on a selection from Nintendo as opposed to him picking whoever he wants

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Actually, DQ XI has been kind of underwhelming sales wise compared to the rest of the mainline series, even in Japan. The most successful ones overall were basically the first and VIII.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest
Guess my DQ VIII party idea might not be so farfetched, given that (though it would still take a huge amount of work regardless).

For further irony, it's also the first Nintendo console to get FF7, the game that left because of the whole cartridge debacle.
And on top of that, the first Grandia, which was a cheerier alternative to FF7 and its ilk, was on the PSX like 7, and now it's getting an HD remake coming to the Switch while 7 is a mere port on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom