• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Okay. Here's what I will do. I'm not sharing these DMs with everybody, I will share them with a few trusted members like Fatmanonice. DM me and I may share them with you only if I trust you enough. But I will, however, tell you the list of characters Verge mentioned.

Sephiroth, Crono, and DQ characters are the 3 he heard most. The DQ characters include Erdrick, Luminary who is the DQ11 protagonist, and Slime. He only heard Slime from 1 person. That's 5 of the characters right there. Geno is the sixth. He's heard Geno but he was told to "not take him too seriously". This sounds like bias, personally. The seventh character, Sora, he said "was told to him as NOT in the game". If Geno was deconfirmed, he would have said the same thing he did with Sora. However, ofc, it seems like his bias puts him on iffy terms with Geno, but it's still noteworthy that he's heard Geno. Which matches my source. So, in total, the names are:

-Sephiroth
-Crono
-Erdrick
-Luminary (Dq11)
-Slime
-Geno
-Sora (who is NOT in)
As long as it’s not the DQ 11 rep, I wouldn’t mind any of these picks. Erdrich is probably pretty boring but at least he’s the more popular pick for DQ and doesn’t just represent the most recent game.

Sephiroth would cause such a **** storm, though he is far more tolerable to me than most of the other Final Fantasy picks I’d expect (Plus give me One Winged Angel lol). That said, Midgar is kind of already a stage, so I suspect that makes him less likely. Not even Street Fighter and Castlevania have a second stage and they’ve got loads more content as individual series. It’d also be our first newcomer from the same third party series that’s unique, which would be hella surprising to see from Square first.

Chrono, Slime, Sora, and Geno would all be solid picks and wish we could have them all cause they each represent different and important/good things.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact that 3 DQ names were dropped gives me the distinct impression they're leak bait like the Granblue Fantasy character. As we've talked about blue to the mouth, the legal BS surrounding that series along with all the other parties Square would have to share profits with would be a very undesirable outcome given how they want to make as much money as possible. Geno is the only plausible one that makes sense going by that logic.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
Geno and Chrono would be the ones to bring the best music, especially Chrono

On one hand, Chrono is the best option as to bring something that looks like Dragon Quest without being too complicated to bring (Toriyama arts in the game would be amazing)

On the other hand, it really seems there is too much "swordmen" as potential DLC, even when we are talking outside of the square enix represent, for example, Fire Emblem Three Houses could get another swordman, Namco could get Lloyd, Dante was in a lot of rumors, Rex&Pyra in my opinion is still possible as it has the best support of every possible DLC => the japan fanbase which is the biggest voice for Nintendo

So Geno would bring more freshness in term of gameplay, Sakurai might look into that

I dont think Sephiroth is likely, his sword is too long, it would not look nice in game

And as far as dragon quest represent, i really feel the DQ11 hero is the blandest, i hope it's not him.

Chrono and Geno, either one are the best case scenarii, if i had to choose right now between them i couldn't tell... I'd say Chrono is more of a legacy character (and has the best music) but Geno is the most interesting gameplay wise

D

Deleted member

Chrono and Sephiroth are the only SE reps I would accept over Geno or Mallow

Last edited by a moderator:

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Im surprised Erik wasn't mentioned for DQ11. I mean, I've been supporting Geno since Snake was added to brawl. I just feel like the spirit battle is quite damning.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Okay. Here's what I will do. I'm not sharing these DMs with everybody, I will share them with a few trusted members like Fatmanonice. DM me and I may share them with you only if I trust you enough. But I will, however, tell you the list of characters Verge mentioned.

Sephiroth, Crono, and DQ characters are the 3 he heard most. The DQ characters include Erdrick, Luminary who is the DQ11 protagonist, and Slime. He only heard Slime from 1 person. That's 5 of the characters right there. Geno is the sixth. He's heard Geno but he was told to "not take him too seriously". This sounds like bias, personally. The seventh character, Sora, he said "was told to him as NOT in the game". If Geno was deconfirmed, he would have said the same thing he did with Sora. However, ofc, it seems like his bias puts him on iffy terms with Geno, but it's still noteworthy that he's heard Geno. Which matches my source. So, in total, the names are:

-Sephiroth
-Crono
-Erdrick
-Luminary (Dq11)
-Slime
-Geno
-Sora (who is NOT in)
Dang PP, you're doing us all a favor. This is amazing! XD Thank you!

ZelDan

Smash Master
Geno and Crono are the ones I want most.

Sephiroth isn't exactly a character I would want, though I wouldn't hate his inclusion and would kinda be down for it (especially if it meant we got more than just 2 FF songs FFS)

Every other character listed does absolutely nothing for me (not a huge DQ fan)

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
I appreciate finally having that list of names, I guess even Verge is starting to feel safe about that since the main roster is picked and DLC is cloaked in such mystery. Considering DQ is so popular in Japan, it makes sense that 3 of those names are from that series. And as much as i would be ecstatic to have chrono (and a goku colored skin would be too funny) in the game, I think Geno would fit better for variety's sake which seems to be sakurai's focus this time around.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
I only want Crono if it means we get remixes of the tracks. Otherwise its just another sword character, and we have more than enough of those. Thanks FE. Don't give us Hector or Ephraim, give us more sword characters that aren't marth but might as well be.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Appearance wise, Crono is the closest thing we could get to Goku (DBZ) in Smash thanks to Toriyama.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I would personally love Crono, as Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games, but I would slightly prefer Geno over him.

Sephiroth would be broken af with the big *** sword. Thing would have as much range as Melee Marth's grab :4pacman:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I’m sticking to what I said a couple pages ago. If the first character is an anime swordfighter, then even despite my mains, I’m not going to buy it. We legitimately have enough at this point.

I’d even take Slime over Erdrick/Sephiroth/Chrono/Luminary just for moveset potential, Geno obviously being my #1 choice. Sora is in a weird place of “I’d love it if he included Disney stuff, but I’d hate it if he was as removed from Disney as possible.”

Appearance wise, Crono is the closest thing we could get to Goku (DBZ) in Smash thanks to Toriyama.
Well, for better or worse, DQ protagonists could count as that too, he also designs all those.

Latyon

Smash Cadet
I’m sticking to what I said a couple pages ago. If the first character is an anime swordfighter, then even despite my mains, I’m not going to buy it. We legitimately have enough at this point.

I’d even take Slime over Erdrick/Sephiroth/Chrono/Luminary just for moveset potential, Geno obviously being my #1 choice. Sora is in a weird place of “I’d love it if he included Disney stuff, but I’d hate it if he was as removed from Disney as possible.”

Well, for better or worse, DQ protagonists could count as that too, he also designs all those.
IMO if Sora gets in at all, he needs to have zero Disney references. Goofy and Donald showing up in Smash would really take me out of it. They aren't video game characters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Interesting turn of events... Something we all have to keep in mind is that stages and music are part of the DLC pass. If it were Sephiroth, they would need to have a second FFVII stage and additional music despite Nobou Umetsu no longer working for them AND being on a sabbatical. For Dragon Quest, we've already talked about how this series is a liscensing nightmare, especially with music. Koichi Sugiyama is a comically controversial figure as is but is so tight fisted with his music that he even refuses to liscense orchestrated music outside Japan which means everyone else would get midis meaning at least double the number of tracks to liscense. That's a lot of hoops just for music alone, nevermind everything else.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
IMO if Sora gets in at all, he needs to have zero Disney references. Goofy and Donald showing up in Smash would really take me out of it. They aren't video game characters.
There is one exception to the rule of "video game characters only" or "a character must originate from a video game to appear in Smash". Dr. Kawashima, the Brain Age assist trophy, is a real life neuroscientist.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Thanks for the information, Polar Panda.

I'm not too crazy about that list of names. I have no attachment to Dragon Quest or Chrono Trigger, and I have no interest in Sephiroth whatsoever. Geno is the only one I have interest in.

Odd though that he's heard 3 Dragon Quest names, while every other name he's heard is from a different series.

I'd probably rule Sephiroth out, due to Midgar already being in.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Welp just pre-ordered the game and fighter pass, so I’ll be purchasing whatever Nintendo decides to send our way.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
A lot of that makes sense, since there WILL be music with the DLC characters.

And another note to add to that. Square is a business and wants as much money out of the deal. There would be more financial loops with DQ, and the whole thing with Sora.

The more profitable choices would be Geno, even Crono in that matter as well I think. Granted, Geno over Crono personally.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Going over Polar Panda's DM, based on how Vergeben talks, it's technically narrowed down to 5 characters but I don't know if Polar Panda wants me to share that detail why. I'll just say it would be a really big concession and showing absurd amounts of favoritism that have never been done for a third party character before.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Going over Polar Panda's DM, based on how Vergeben talks, it's technically narrowed down to 5 characters but I don't know if Polar Panda wants me to share that detail why. I'll just say it would be a really big concession and showing absurd amounts of favoritism that have never been done for a third party character before.
Now I'm really curious. Not pushing to know, as I don't want anyone to get in trouble, but it does have my interest piqued.

Mega Man and Castlevania have a lot of love put into them, but that seems moreso out of passion for the series than being ordered to show favoritism.

Last edited:

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
IIRC Chrono Trigger has tons of licensing issues as well. DQ is just hell because of the composer and Toriyama

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
i try but i dont understand
Would it be Sephiroth ? Concessions about giving up final fantasy content with Cloud for the DLC and favoritism about FFVII

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Wow, what an interesting development. I'm amazed that Verge was open about the list after being tight to the vest with it for so long. Like everyone here, that list overall seems pretty acceptable to me. The only character that would actively disappoint me is Luminary since all of the other characters bring a lot of gaming history with them. Luminary would be just another Corrin pick to me.

If I had to predict the outcome, I believe that we're getting Slime or maybe Geno, although I still see Crono as a dark horse. Here are a few details what we know:

0.) Square is very strict regarding leaks
1.) Hitagi saw the list and heard DQ and Crono most, but was leak baited
2.) NoJ chose the characters, but Sakurai can veto characters if he can't come up with an interesting moveset
3.) Only FF7 and SMRPG content have made it into either Smash 4 or Ult.
4.) Yoko Shimamura, the composer for SMRPG is on staff, and a large number of SF2 tracks, including remixes, are in Ult.
5.) DQ is a legal nightmare, especially regarding its music
6.) Square said their strategy for Switch is creating new IP like Octopath and reusing/rebooting old IP like TWEWY: Final Remix
7.) The Chrono Trigger director tweeted, "Secret Mission Start," and a picture of a Switch in 2017
8.) Geno as DLC is a rumor going around NoA

Two elements from the character list jump out to me most. First, other than Geno and Slime, every character is a swordsman. I'm pretty sure Sakurai mentioned somewhere that he wanted to limit new sword fighter additions if possible. Of those characters on the list, Geno and slime would bring the most unique moveset potential. Second, and I think most important, Verge only heard Slime and Geno from one source. Considering Square's stance on leaks, I believe that less means more likely as they're being more protective of those characters getting out. The person that said, "don't take Geno seriously," may have known that he was a spirit, so that's why I'm leaning toward Slime. All speculation though, I mean a Chrono Switch game has been rumored for a few years. The timing would probably line up really well with an announcement.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How do you make a spoiler tag?
You put spoiler and /spoiler in square brackets, with the stuff that you want in the spoiler tag in between. I edited your post about the boss to include them, if you want to see an example.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Hmmmm.... I will strongly admit I am very curious about the concession is, for which side.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Now I'm really curious. Not pushing to know, as I don't want anyone to get in trouble, but it does have my interest piqued.

Mega Man and Castlevania have a lot of love put into them, but that seems moreso out of passion for the series than being ordered to show favoritism.
Unless Polar Panda greenlights me, I can't say what but the jist of it would be by far the most amount of work put into a single third party character in the entire Smash series and I just can't see Nintendo doing it, especially with Square being a total dragass with this game.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Maybe Sephiroth is getting added as a DLC boss like Enderdragon?
You know, that'd make sense. Square having a boss is another way for them to make money through Smash and it being Sephiroth, a super popular character in FF (which is a series already in Smash), is a good way to get more people hooked. Maybe even a Sephiroth Mii costume along with Chocobo and Geno?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I will attest that Panda's list is certainly some of the people I have heard as well, but I've also heard a few others going around.

So I think multiple Square lists are going around which leads me to believe it's all just a giant cluster****.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Sorry, I forgot about that. It is making me step back now and think DQ or another FF character.

Sigh.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
You know, that'd make sense. Square having a boss is another way for them to make money through Smash and it being Sephiroth, a super popular character in FF (which is a series already in Smash), is a good way to get more people hooked. Maybe even a Sephiroth Mii costume along with Chocobo and Geno?
Yeah and maybe One Winged Angel is getting a remix to boot. Actually this is making sense to me, especially with Cloud having a limited presence in WoL.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Oh god i just realized how ugly the outrage will be if its Slimey or Sephiroth... 0-0 It may end up being worser than the one Corrin got

Last edited:

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
Unless Polar Panda greenlights me, I can't say what but the jist of it would be by far the most amount of work put into a single third party character in the entire Smash series and I just can't see Nintendo doing it, especially with Square being a total dragass with this game.

To me that would just mean it's Erdrick with the multiple classes as alternative costumes, with every classes from DQIII it's the character that would need the most of work

Xigger

Smash Lord
I think Sephiroth wouldn't fit as a fighter, he's much better as a boss. His entire character is about being immensely powerful, and I can't imagine seeing that feeling as a playable character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom