• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Or maybe it's Crono, and he summons Frog, Lucca, Marle, and Robo to do double and triple techs as part of his moveset.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Bowser Jr. kind of a character with the Koopalings perhaps.

Wow, promoting a franchise not requested by both sides of the world's Smash community...

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
So if I am understanding correctly; the non-geno character would be an ultra work intensive build and thus likely not to happen?

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
It's gonna be Erik as a monster master, and he just calls random monsters to attack people. I'd actually be ok with that, so it won't be that.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Interestingggggg.

The fact that Geno’s even on this list is a big deal to me. However it sounds like his chances are just a bit slimmer than everyone else’s. I hope he’s not the one that got cut when it narrowed down to five :(

Anyway going over my thoughts on the list:

1. Sephiroth. I would actually kind of hate this. But I would understand. He secured Cloud, and if SE is hard to work with the next thing could be to just secure one of the most popular villains from the same series/game. And it fits in with the whole villains getting in this time kind of patter going on. But I think the response would be lackluster compared to the other choices. Also, as mentioned before, this would also mean ANOTHER FF7 stage and I guess HOPEFULLY more FF7 music? Which wouldnt make sense to me because of how little music FF already has and how little spirits FF has.

2. Crono. I actually would prefer Crono over DQ reps, Sora, and Sephiroth, because of his connection to Nintendo for this specific game (Smash). It would still fill the quota of a “Toriyama designed character” like DQ would. He has a really cool design and his game is legendary so it also fills that quota. I haven’t played Crona Trigger but I would hope his move set would be varied enough to make him stand apart from the other sword fighters. Could be good for a stage and music.

3. Erdrick & Luminary. For some reason I just...don’t want DQ in smash haha I don’t know why. The Luminary makes more sense to me because DQ11 has an amazing release and response, but I prefer Crono and Geno’s direct connection to Nintendo for smash. Also more sword fighters which isn’t a huge problem but getting really stale for me.

Slime. SCREW THIS OPTION I WILL BE SO MAD IF A FREAKING SLIME GETS IN

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What is with this guessing game? The answer won't be directly given till there is a go ahead.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't think anyone is getting a steady answer before SE's rep gets a reveal.

I've heard like 3 or 4 different lists now talking to various individuals. So there's a lot of confusion around this rep.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What is this about convoluted? I'm confused what the topic at hand is?
Vergeben has shared the list of seven Square Enix reps he's heard but narrowed it down to six because he says he was out right told Sora wasn't in. In the DM Polar Panda shared with me, Vergeben talks a little bit more about the nature of some of the names he's heard, theorycrafting a particular idea that eliminates another character (not Geno).

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
What is with this guessing game? The answer won't be directly given till there is a go ahead.
You're right haha. I'm not looking for a response though–it's just fun to speculate and imagine what's possible.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh god i just realized how ugly the outrage will be if its Slimey or Sephiroth... 0-0 It may end up being worser than the one Corrin got
I doubt there would even be an outrage. Sephiroth is one of the most iconic and acclaimed villains in gaming, and Slime is one of the biggest examples of a monster becoming iconic. They’re both icons of the gaming industry, and they and their franchises have tons of fans.

Or maybe it's Crono, and he summons Frog, Lucca, Marle, and Robo to do double and triple techs as part of his moveset.
Oh my god this would be so ****ing awesome.

D

Deleted member

I doubt there would even be an outrage. Sephiroth is one of the most iconic and acclaimed villains in gaming, and Slime is one of the biggest examples of a monster becoming iconic. They’re both icons of the gaming industry, and they and their franchises have tons of fans.

Oh my god this would be so ****ing awesome.
I would break something if a literal piece of **** gets in over Geno

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
After reading the full PM, I feel pretty good about our guy. We're essentially narrowed down to Geno and a mess of DQ possibilities (which all looks extremely suspicious and unlikely to me).

The leaker who was told Geno and was told to "not take him too seriously" is a big red flag to me. Why even say his name then unless you'd rather the fake leak names pick up more steam? Seems like an attempt to get ahead of real leaks that might take place so people would downplay leaks with Geno in the future, protecting themselves. It's honestly a brilliant way to try and divert people from the truth.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I would break something if a literal piece of **** gets in over Geno
Hey dude, don’t attack Slime like that. He’s the actual mascot of Dragon Quest and a hugely popular face in Japan, advertised well beyond his initial DQ origins. He actually reminds me of Isabelle a little in how he is just kind of a big deal in Japan for multiple advertising outlets.

Plus he’d have to have a super creative move set, and I think we’d pretty much all agree that a creative and new move set/play style is preferable to another character with swords, unless there like Chrono or Lloyd that is haha.

Like, he’d be a Piranha Plant level of creative and interesting, and a great way for Sakurai to flex his creative muscles with a super popular IP and character.

He’d be a great addition, and if I’m being honest, he is the single biggest Japanese character from the NES era of classics not currently represented. Piranha Plant already cleared the way for a standard enemy to be in Smash anyway. So honestly, I’d say as far as third party characters go he is probably just about the “most deserving” pick you could go with. Sure, DQ isn’t popular in the States, but does that matter when it’s so massive in Japan? They have a right to a big character they tend to prefer like we’ve gotten with Little Mac and Ridley. I’m sure he’d get a hugely positive reception in Japan even if he isn’t the most wanted character.

Like his actual chances of getting in are one thing, but as a character choice, he’d actually be pretty great and actually represent the entire series in a unique way that isn’t just a specific MC from one of the other games that probably wouldn’t get as interesting of a pick. In terms of originality, he and Geno are absolutely at the top of this specific list.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
After reading the full PM, I feel pretty good about our guy. We're essentially narrowed down to Geno and a mess of DQ possibilities (which all looks extremely suspicious and unlikely to me).

The leaker who was told Geno and was told to "not take him too seriously" is a big red flag to me. Why even say his name then unless you'd rather the fake leak names pick up more steam? Seems like an attempt to get ahead of real leaks that might take place so people would downplay leaks with Geno in the future, protecting themselves. It's honestly a brilliant way to try and divert people from the truth.
That seems right. If their goal was to spread multiple names to keep people off the real selection’s trail, downplaying geno makes a lot of sense. There is just a lot of spooky stuff at play here, starting with that spirit / icon / whatever being shown at the direct. The way geno and mallow’s files are organized in the game helps too, along with no Mii costume or music.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman

Yeah I can't help but feel "don't take him seriously" is a real outlier. But, who knows. At this point we know there are spirit battles for Geno and Mallow, but nothing else related to SMRPG in the game, unless those come with music, but X vs Zero appears in the sigma character battle so, perhaps its possible.

At this point we continue to sit with fingers crossed and hope for the best, but if not, maybe Banjo will happen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Geno were to lose to someone, I'd concede with Crono. It would bring amazing music and probably an equally memorable stage representing one of the greatest games of all time. As others have said, Chrono Trigger is liscensing Hell though and a big reason why Square comes down on anyone who tries to make fan games of it with the fury of a thousand gods and why it's gotten nothing but half-assed ports for the last decade.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Mmmmm I think to say “single biggest Japanese character to not be in Smash” is a bit of a stretch. Not arguing Slime’s icon status, but I do think that’s a bit of a reach. If anything if DQ gets in, Slime will be the character icon for the Rep. I don’t see a lot of movesef potential outside of jumping and head butting others fighters. Unique? Definitely. Slime is equivalent for Mario Mushroom IMO, Slime’s popularity stems from the series, not the character. He represents a series. Slime being “most deserving” tho..?

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Slime would make a cool AT. hops around for a bit, headbutts a few people, then turns into a king slime and slams his way across the stage until he dies.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
If Geno were to lose to someone, I'd concede with Crono. It would bring amazing music and probably an equally memorable stage representing one of the greatest games of all time. As others have said, Chrono Trigger is liscensing Hell though and a big reason why Square comes down on anyone who tries to make fan games of it with the fury of a thousand gods and why it's gotten nothing but half-***** ports for the last decade.
Honestly I feel the opposite. I like Crono as a character and enjoyed the game but if he got in over Geno that'd be a direct slap in the face. He's a character from an identical genre and released around the same time but with much less support to be in the game than Geno. At least with the other choices I can on some level see why they would choose them over Geno but for Crono he has the same things going for him but is much less in demand for Smash.

I can't imagine after all this time we supported Geno and they recognize that with a ****ing spirit but then they make a character with almost identical circumstances that really hasn't been asked for in Smash in any significant capacity since the Brawl days into a playable character out of nowhere.

I understand that people like Crono, as I do as well. But I wouldn't see his inclusion as anything other than pissing on our graves

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I don’t know if it’s a reach too far, but can’t we actually reduce the list from 5 to 4? If Hitagi was leak b8’d and the character he was hinting at was a DQ character doesn’t that mean we can eliminate one of the DQ characters? Not anyone specifically but we have to assume one of them iabsolutely has to be fake just from Hitagi’s huge retraction. Personally I’m still hoping for Geno and think the “don’t take him seriously” is the same negative bias I and other people have mentioned before as leakers trying to speak on things they don’t actually have grounds to speak on like “Sakurai thinks X”. The only thing that makes me worried it’s Chrono is the forwards/backwards English and Japanese advertisements.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Especially since Geno has been requested for so long, had Mii costume, Sakurai has mentioned him and Nintendo has "heard" the request from fans....

D

Deleted member

And what character is a literal piece of ****?
Slime

Hey dude, don’t attack Slime like that. He’s the actual mascot of Dragon Quest and a hugely popular face in Japan, advertised well beyond his initial DQ origins. He actually reminds me of Isabelle a little in how he is just kind of a big deal in Japan for multiple advertising outlets.

Plus he’d have to have a super creative move set, and I think we’d pretty much all agree that a creative and new move set/play style is preferable to another character with swords, unless there like Chrono or Lloyd that is haha.

Like, he’d be a Piranha Plant level of creative and interesting, and a great way for Sakurai to flex his creative muscles with a super popular IP and character.

He’d be a great addition, and if I’m being honest, he is the single biggest Japanese character from the NES era of classics not currently represented. Piranha Plant already cleared the way for a standard enemy to be in Smash anyway. So honestly, I’d say as far as third party characters go he is probably just about the “most deserving” pick you could go with. Sure, DQ isn’t popular in the States, but does that matter when it’s so massive in Japan? They have a right to a big character they tend to prefer like we’ve gotten with Little Mac and Ridley. I’m sure he’d get a hugely positive reception in Japan even if he isn’t the most wanted character.

Like his actual chances of getting in are one thing, but as a character choice, he’d actually be pretty great and actually represent the entire series in a unique way that isn’t just a specific MC from one of the other games that probably wouldn’t get as interesting of a pick. In terms of originality, he and Geno are absolutely at the top of this specific list.
Good points, just that since I don't know much about DQ, I view Slime that way lol

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
I just want to point out something weird - there has been a Mario / dragon quest / SMRPG crossover in the past.

The game Fortune Street features a ton of Mario characters, DQ characters, and their peach’s castle level plays the SMRPG mushroom kingdom music.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Wait when did Nintendo say anything about this?
There was a USGamer article where they interveiwed JC Rodrigo (Treehouse Marketing Head)

Were you surprised by some of the responses to the roster or missing characters like Waluigi or Geno?
JCR:
Not really. I've been hanging around the Smash Bros community. I've been doing a lot of events; anytime you see a Nintendo logo at a tournament, I help with those as well. We know how passionate our fans are. We were thankful and appreciative of all of [the responses]. Surprised? No, not at all. People want their characters; we hear you.

JC Rodrigo said something similar at an E3 2017 interview where fans were requesting a Smash for Switch. The next year, Smash Switch was announced.

EDIT: I’d also like to point out where that Nintendo GameFAQs guy said “Nintendo pays people to know fan reactions” I’m also assuming this branches to fan demand, as evidenced by Rodrigo saying he hangs out a lot with the community. Also given Polar Panda’s glowing statements about how Nintendo listens to fans, I think these are ALL points in Geno’s favor because he has been popular with fans for SMASH much much longer than our other potential SE picks

I agree that it would suck if Crono got in before Geno but it would suck less than DQ or Sephiroth IMO. Glad Geno isn’t the cut character from the list tho. And I always get hopeful with this because Geno is fairly popular in Japan as well

Also I’m of the mindset where I’m not sure I believe “leakbaiting” the SE rep might be the exception, (even though I think that’s a ridiculous notion for any business to do) but otherwise, i think all the choices are viable. Just glad our Starboi is one of them

Last edited:

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
There was a USGamer article where they interveiwed JC Rodrigo (Treehouse Marketing Head)

Were you surprised by some of the responses to the roster or missing characters like Waluigi or Geno?
JCR:
Not really. I've been hanging around the Smash Bros community. I've been doing a lot of events; anytime you see a Nintendo logo at a tournament, I help with those as well. We know how passionate our fans are. We were thankful and appreciative of all of [the responses]. Surprised? No, not at all. People want their characters; we hear you.

JC Rodrigo said something similar at an E3 2017 interview where fans were requesting a Smash for Switch. The next year, Smash Switch was announced.

EDIT: I’d also like to point out where that Nintendo GameFAQs guy said “Nintendo pays people to know fan reactions” I’m also assuming this branches to fan demand, as evidenced by Rodrigo saying he hangs out a lot with the community. Also given Polar Panda’s glowing statements about how Nintendo listens to fans, I think these are ALL points in Geno’s favor because he has been popular with fans for SMASH much much longer than our other potential SE picks

I agree that it would suck if Crono got in before Geno but it would suck less than DQ or Sephiroth IMO. Glad Geno isn’t the cut character from the list tho. And I always get hopeful with this because Geno is fairly popular in Japan as well

Also I’m of the mindset where I’m not sure I believe “leakbaiting” the SE rep might be the exception, (even though I think that’s a ridiculous notion for any business to do) but otherwise, i think all the choices are viable. Just glad our Starboi is one of them
Well, thats good to know. I'll keep believing until our star warrior is in.

Help, I have ceased breathing.

domriver

Smash Lord
Welp just pre-ordered the game and fighter pass, so I’ll be purchasing whatever Nintendo decides to send our way.
This is me but im only doing it because i can't stand having a "almost full roster" I nedz them allz.
If Geno were to lose to someone, I'd concede with Crono. It would bring amazing music and probably an equally memorable stage representing one of the greatest games of all time. As others have said, Chrono Trigger is liscensing Hell though and a big reason why Square comes down on anyone who tries to make fan games of it with the fury of a thousand gods and why it's gotten nothing but half-***** ports for the last decade.
Im pretty much here also. If Chrono got in as much as dislike the thought but I would welcome Chrono. But GENOOOOOOO its like right there rights ARGHHHHH lol we need a smash direct / announcement to rid us of this torture LOL.
Very true. xD

EDIT:
You know we may have an Occam's Razor here guys with this 7 characters from Square Enix possible DLC.

Last edited:

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
This is me but im only doing it because i can't stand having a "almost full roster" I nedz them allz.

Im pretty much here also. If Chrono got in as much as dislike the thought but I would welcome Chrono. But GENOOOOOOO its like right there rights ARGHHHHH lol we need a smash direct / announcement to rid us of this torture LOL.

Very true. xD

EDIT:
You know we may have an Occam's Razor here guys with this 7 characters from Square Enix possible DLC.
Yep I just gotta have the full roster, whatever it is. Plus I TO so you gotta have a full setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom