• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Sheik uses Geno spirit

1) Strange
2) Sheik was my Melee main, so nice
3) Geno is a Legend level

Assuming this is real
Yikes, I don't want to be that guy but, I don't like the fact he's listed as a legend. I just feel like that decreases his chances at being DLC for some reason (even though I still believe he will be).

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice
Man I'm surprised, after all this time geno has yet to be deconfirmed. I mean sure he might be a spirit, but even still. We've yet to confirm that spirits act the same way as assist trophies (deconfirmation).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yikes, I don't want to be that guy but, I don't like the fact he's listed as a legend. I just feel like that decreases his chances at being DLC for some reason (even though I still believe he will be).
I kind of feel like it's a better sign than if he was a novice

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
You're damn right he's a legend.

I see why. Sheik's neutral B fires needles, Geno fires pellets from his hand. They're similar, but it's just different weapons.
I'm now picturing Needle with the finger shot SFX.

...kind of works for me, honestly. Moreso than Mega Man's buster. Geno doesn't fire energy bullets, just lasers.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm gonna end off today by reminding you all of Sakurai's words on the Geno Mii costume way back when:

"He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something."

He wanted to make sure we felt like we got something. Sakurai told us up front that the Mii Costume for us was basically a consolation prize, and now that prize has seemingly been taken from us with nothing to replace it other than a cheap .png. (Although the fact that we have the original Geno render in our hands after all these years is pretty cool, admittedly.) That combined with the lack of SMRPG content in general gives me a very good feeling going into this DLC. If Sakurai and co. really had no plans for Geno, I honestly feel they would have made him an Assist Trophy like they did other popular requests like Isaac and Waluigi. The man cares about us, so he'd at least try to get us something if not a playable spot, and a .png is not a consolation prize.

And even if Geno does get completely passed over in spite of his popularity and Sakurai's comments, what we should learn from this game and from folks like Ridley and K. Rool is that persistence is key. What if the Ridley fans had just accepted their fate after seeing their guy be shoved aside as a boss twice? We wouldn't have him now, that's for sure. If we go quiet between releases like we did in Smash 4, our voices won't be heard, and we'll accomplish nothing that way. That doesn't mean we have to be obnoxious about it, of course, we just can't let people dismiss us as a passing fad or a vocal minority. If we just keep the conversation going, we may even be regarded as this fanbase's next K. Rool someday, and at that point, it'll be impossible to ignore us. Mark my words when I say that this Spirit battle is just the beginning for us.

Dan

Smash Lord
That's nice they went through all that trouble, but the realist in me is telling me this is RIP to the slim chance he had as DLC. Don't get your hopes up guys.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
The fact that he's Legend shows that they know just how important he is to Smash fans. They know people want him in.
If the Mii outfit were still in, you know they'd use it for this fight. That makes me think that'd hurt his chances somewhat.

If he were a low level Spirit thrown in at the beginning of the game, then I'd say his chances would be bad.

Guess ♥♪!? decided Sheik was a good host this time. Just wait and see who he enters next!

Dan

Smash Lord
I'm gonna end off today by reminding you all of Sakurai's words on the Geno Mii costume way back when:

"He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something."

He wanted to make sure we felt like we got something. Sakurai told us up front that the Mii Costume for us was basically a consolation prize, and now that prize has seemingly been taken from us with nothing to replace it other than a cheap .png. (Although the fact that we have the original Geno render in our hands after all these years is pretty cool, admittedly.) That combined with the lack of SMRPG content in general gives me a very good feeling going into this DLC. If Sakurai and co. really had no plans for Geno, I honestly feel they would have made him an Assist Trophy like they did other popular requests like Isaac and Waluigi. The man cares about us, so he'd at least try to get us something if not a playable spot, and a .png is not a consolation prize.

And even if Geno does get completely passed over in spite of his popularity and Sakurai's comments, what we should learn from this game and from folks like Ridley and K. Rool is that persistence is key. What if the Ridley fans had just accepted their fate after seeing their guy be shoved aside as a boss twice? We wouldn't have him now, that's for sure. If we go quiet between releases like we did in Smash 4, our voices won't be heard, and we'll accomplish nothing that way. That doesn't mean we have to be obnoxious about it, of course, we just can't let people dismiss us as a passing fad or a vocal minority. If we just keep the conversation going, we may even be regarded as this fanbase's next K. Rool someday, and at that point, it'll be impossible to ignore us. Mark my words when I say that this Spirit battle is just the beginning for us.
You realize that quote means nothing anymore given Nintendo chose the DLC characters, but that's a really good point that he isn't even an AT; I feel like Sakurai left that door open for a reason.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Concerning this spirit battle with Sheik...

WHERE
IS
THE
VIDEO
PROOF?!

It's easy to photoshop this kind of stuff. I know that Geno is a spirit , my "He's cut" theory is dead , but I won't believe anything without a video to back it up (and a one with decent quality , no potato camera).

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
You know what i see in that Spirit Battle? I see hope. It's actually amazing that they put Sheik as Geno's Fighter in this Battle (Also note that the rest of the "party" don't have their original colors and Mallow is using a Kirby). To me this is a sign of something bigger, I'm pretty optimistic that Geno could be DLC.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If he was ever playable, I have always wanted Geno to be like a Sheik/Robin hybrid character. Kind of fills in that strike mage type archetype his character is.

Pretty excited to see he is the highest level of spirit. I can appreciate them listing him as one of the best.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also Mallow should be a Robin/ Kirby hybrid

Which is technically already available to do in Smash

owjies

Smash Journeyman
You know what i see in that Spirit Battle? I see hope. It's actually amazing that they put Sheik as Geno's Fighter in this Battle (Also note that the rest of the "party" don't have their original colors and Mallow is using a Kirby). To me this is a sign of something bigger, I'm pretty optimistic that Geno could be DLC.
Ooh, I just noticed that too. Looks like it's Red Peach to represent the Lazy Shell and Blue Mario to represent the Super Suit. Gotta love Sakurai's attention to detail as always.

Last edited:

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
I still believe our boy has a shot, but damn that Mii Outfit being removed hurts me a lot. I would have been quite content with playing Mii Gunner while having Geno and Mallow equipped, but now I can't even do that. I loved my Geno Mii in 4, man.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You realize that quote means nothing anymore given Nintendo chose the DLC characters, but that's a really good point that he isn't even an AT; I feel like Sakurai left that door open for a reason.
That's precisely my point in bringing that up, and why I feel yes, that quote absolutely does mean something given that our consolation prize is suspiciously gone without reparation. Just because he's not in the driver's seat for DLC doesn't mean what he's said in the past means nothing; as far as decisions made for the base game, we can learn quite a bit from them. You said it yourself, Sakurai left the door open for a reason.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still believe our boy has a shot, but damn that Mii Outfit being removed hurts me a lot. I would have been quite content with playing Mii Gunner while having Geno and Mallow equipped, but now I can't even do that. I loved my Geno Mii in 4, man.
And/Or if Geno is playable, I have a feeling it'll be back

as paid DLC

Along with the other 3rd party mii costumes that were cut

owjies

Smash Journeyman
That's precisely my point in bringing that up, and why I feel yes, that quote absolutely does mean something given that our consolation prize is suspiciously gone without reparation. You said it yourself, it was Sakurai's decision to not put him anywhere in the base game other than as a Spirit and he probably left the door wide open for a reason.
Just to kind of add to this point, I always find that despite Sakurai's tendency to tease and troll fans, he's usually dead serious when he discusses character selection decisions and design choices. If a character doesn't meet his criteria, he's straight up about it. For example, he's mentioned before that he considered Krystal for Brawl but opted for Wolf because they already had the framework in place from Fox & Falco. Krystal wasn't feasible because she would've been a completely new character from the ground up. Due to this, he urged readers to consider Wolf, "A lucky inclusion," because the character was easier to create while also being a popular pick.

To me, when Sakurai says, "Even though [Geno] still isn't in as a playable fighter..." I believe him. That doesn't mean that Geno is his top priority by any means, but I strongly believe that Sakurai would've been straight with us if Geno was not a feasible character at all. Again, that's part of the agony and the ecstasy of being a Geno fan. We're always just shy of the summit. Look at Krystal though. Sakurai found a way to get her into the game as an AT even after Star Fox as a franchise had faltered quite a bit during the last ten years. Yes, Nintendo is making the DLC decisions, but I think it's clear even with the little we've seen of Geno and Mallow so far, that we've been heard. Even if my expectations are low, my hope remains high.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I learned a couple things about the Geno spirit

1) It has 3 support slots

2) It has no special effects

3) However, it gives "2000 points to attack and defense" whatever that means. Which apparently is high ("4000 total points")

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

3) However, it gives "2000 points to attack and defense" whatever that means. Which apparently is high ("4000 total points")
So basically it's not even a ''This is meant to replicate something that potential fighter would do?" spirit?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So basically it's not even a ''This is meant to replicate something that potential fighter would do?" spirit?
The spirit battles replicate the fighters pretty well but I'm not sure the actual spirits do

Interesting they have different effects when you use them then during the spirit battle you get them from

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Maybe Geno also uses Sheik because they're both disguises in a way?

The doll was a disguise for a star being and Sheik is a disguise for Princess Zelda to remain safely in the action.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Missed opportunity to add 9999 points to attack

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Welp, whatever happens with Geno in the DLC stage, I think it's nice that Sakurai put that much effort in his Spirit battle. It's nice to see him return after all this time, even if it's in Sheik's body.

And if Geno finally doesn't make it in, I will want to believe it's Square Enix's fault and not Sakurai's. Because I know that if he could make it happen, he would do it seen how much love he put in a simple battle.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
SAME HERE! I want Geno and a new Mother rep, and I want that rep to be Ninten, but I will be happy with any new Mother rep :)
Bringing this back for a second to say I really wanted Kumatora as a fighter. I’m glad she’s included as a FS, but I really really wanted her to be playable because there’s only like two playable women in Earthbound and I think smash needs more female representation. Knowing Sakurai he’d probably make Bubble Monkey a fighter tho.

...which I’m not entirely against

And SHIEK??? That’s....such a weird choice lol BUT I agree with whoever said they needles are like bullets is probably with what they went with. The party is a really nice touch. I also liked how my White Kirby theory was proven halfway right with Mallow. But also...just...like look how much DETAIL they put into this. Down to Geno’s Spirit Effect. AND he’s Legendary!!! In my opinion this is a clear indicator that they know how popular he is. Idk what this means for his chances but I can’t deny that this is so important for just how Nintendo views Geno in general. He’s not some who, he’s LEGENDARY.

Also, this is probably the first time we’ve seen his jog render in Smash. Period. Even if it’s old. We had the costume last time but no trophy (and I don’t remember a Geno sticker). I think that’s also important to note.

I also agree that if Geno doesn’t get in, I’m probably gonna blame Square.

Also also: I remember a conversation earlier about the Mii costume and how Sakurai’s mind might have changed. I think it’s a little unlikely given he’s wanted Geno in since Brawl, and that Krystal was considered more recently (though I would’ve LOVED to see that tbh) and he spent a lot of time and resources into existing characters. The only truly new ground up characters are Incineroar, K.Rool, Ridley, Simon, and Inkling everyone one else is based on something. I don’t necessarily think Sakurais mind changed on Geno (LOOK AT ALL THAT LOVE) I just think priorities shifted a bit

Also also also: I think Shiek being a weird pick is kind of...good? Of course Mega Man or Mii Gunner would be better but...maybe it proves how unique of a fighter Geno would be, and how hard it would be to categorize him to an existing fighter

Also also also also: really interesting that Geno is a token and not Mallow. All tokens are either fighters, ATs, bosses, or significant characters from that specific franchise (probably using same art from Spirits) also, non fighter shows up twice in the same form (ex. Mario and Gold Mario show up, but Lucas, Ness, or Jeff show up as their sprite forms for the Earthbound Section) I have a theory (as always) that most (not all) DLC choices will be from this pool

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah this is still something that really perplexes me that a lot of people more or less stopped talking about. Who the hell else could Sakurai been referring to with this toy other than Geno? The only other reasonable thing I can think of is Inkling but even then their guns aren't that good of a match to the toy.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Bringing this back for a second to say I really wanted Kumatora as a fighter. I’m glad she’s included as a FS, but I really really wanted her to be playable because there’s only like two playable women in Earthbound and I think smash needs more female representation. Knowing Sakurai he’d probably make Bubble Monkey a fighter tho.
Since I never got a chance to say this anywhere else...I really wanted Duster as a fighter. I know he wouldn't help the female rep issue, but dang it, he's my favorite in Mother 3. Anyone with a bass as a theme instrument is instantly cool. It kills me that he didn't even get to be in Lucas' FS...someday, I hope he gets a 3D render.

Anyway...back to (obsessively) hoping for Geno.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Looking at the list of leaked spirits I've noticed a couple of things.

First, a bunch of Link and Zelda incarnations. The fact that Alfonzo replaces Conductor Link regardless of which Link is on the screen would seem to point to the attitude that such a thing would be impossible in a scenario where Spirits deconfirm characters.

Second, and most important, is the existence of this
1543231386174.png
guy right here. This Spirit is called Pit (Original). Unlike the Links, unlike all of K. Rool's costumes and every other naysaying opinion we have to contend with regarding Spirits, this is the exact same character as the Pit we have in the game. There's no alternate timeline stuff going on in the Kid Icarus universe--Pit is Pit.

This opens up an avenue where a character's original art, let's say for example an isometric render from the 90s, can have its own Spirit alongside the modern design for a character with no conflicts.

From this point forward I don't want to see anyone saying Spirits deconfirm characters until the day they remove Pit from the game.

D

Deleted member

Looking at the list of leaked spirits I've noticed a couple of things.

First, a bunch of Link and Zelda incarnations. The fact that Alfonzo replaces Conductor Link regardless of which Link is on the screen would seem to point to the attitude that such a thing would be impossible in a scenario where Spirits deconfirm characters.

Second, and most important, is the existence of this View attachment 179926 guy right here. This Spirit is called Pit (Original). Unlike the Links, unlike all of K. Rool's costumes and every other naysaying opinion we have to contend with regarding Spirits, this is the exact same character as the Pit we have in the game. There's no alternate timeline stuff going on in the Kid Icarus universe--Pit is Pit.

This opens up an avenue where a character's original art, let's say for example an isometric render from the 90s, can have its own Spirit alongside the modern design for a character with no conflicts.

From this point forward I don't want to see anyone saying Spirits deconfirm characters until the day they remove Pit from the game.
Do you know what class that Pit spirit is in?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Once again this Mexico situation shows that Nintendo is STILL incapable of not screwing up a global release of a title of theirs.
You seem really hateful towards Nintendo. It's not their fault that stores in Mexico decided to break street date. Do you think they should hold off shipping the game until the day before it comes out? They ship it early so they can guarantee it's there on launch.

Calm down

link2702

Smash Champion
I know one thing at least right now, even if we don’t get geno as dlc now, the fact that there seems to be actual evidence pointing to banjo now as one of the dlc, at least makes me hopeful for my second most wanted. I’ll be sad not having geno, but it’ll be hard for me to stay too upset when the bear and bird are back home, even if it’s just for smash one time.

Course watch it in fact still be steve from Minecraft :|

Not saying I don’t think geno has a chance now, just I’m trying to keep expectations in check, he still has the best chance out of any Square-Enix character right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom