• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

King K. Rool and Richter Belmont.

I was able to watch the beginning of the Direct, and after Simon/Richter's reveals, I closed out of the Direct and had to go run some errands. After the Direct ended, I got a text from my friend and he spoiled the surprise; he told me my Krocodile King made it in. I was still hyped when I saw the trailer, and I thought my friend was fooling around when I saw the part where it was Dedede instead, and I was close to calling him on the phone and telling him he's a Dedede main scrub, then K. Rool knocked Dedede off the screen and did the job for me, so there was no need to call him. :)

Everybody was expecting Simon Belmont, especially after the Bloody Tears / Monster Dance crisis on the night of August 7th. Richter was more of a big reveal because nobody was expecting him, especially since Simon was more likely, no one expected two third-parties from the same franchise to make it in, we didn't know third-parties could get echo fighters, and because we didn't know if Castlevania would even get anymore representation. A lot of people didn't know who he was, same here, despite me playing all the Castlevania games on the NES and Super Castlevania IV, but those were all Simon, not Richter. Richter was on one SNES game, Rondo of Blood/Dracula X, but I never played that one. Richter is mostly on PlayStation Castlevania games, and I haven't played PlayStation since the PS2, like in 2001 or 2002, so it's no wonder why I had no clue who he was.
I really liked Richter in Smash too.

Especially "you don't belong in this world, monster!"

D

Deleted member

Biggest surprise of the cycle? Easily The Grinch being fake. To this day deep in my heart I'm still slightly salty and sad that the Grinch Leak wasn't real, It seemed to have EVERYTHING going for it and then it all went downhill from there. Video being Deleted, Website Glitch in September, That Healing item that looks like it's from GS, Papageno's source saying Banjo was in, Mach Rider being the Retro rep and also was considered for Melee, Chorus Kids being considered for Sm4sh, Etc.

It seemed to have everything going for it but all it took was one little trailer to destroy it completely. Like I said to this day I am still sad about it being fake and that's why The Inceniroar trailer is my least favorite and why I dislike everything to do with the Grinch. I miss those days I really, really do.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Richter was definitely a welcome surprise. The fact we got Simon was crazy enough (even with the accidental slip up on Nintendo's part), but Richter kept it fresh for people who got spoiled for Simon. The craziest part for me with that? The timing of Richter's announcement.

I had avoided the spoilers successfully and didn't even know there was going to be a Castlevania rep. I was at a used game store and I finally picked up a copy of Dracula X for SNES (I've played it on emulator, but didn't have a physical copy) The very next day after this, Richter and Simon were announced. I was floored for that reason alone. Insane coincidental timing.

Rondo of Blood is definitely preferably to Dracula X, though.

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
Biggest surprise of the cycle? Easily The Grinch being fake. To this day deep in my heart I'm still slightly salty and sad that the Grinch Leak wasn't real, It seemed to have EVERYTHING going for it and then it all went downhill from there. Video being Deleted, Website Glitch in September, That Healing item that looks like it's from GS, Papageno's source saying Banjo was in, Mach Rider being the Retro rep and also was considered for Melee, Chorus Kids being considered for Sm4sh, Etc.

It seemed to have everything going for it but all it took was one little trailer to destroy it completely. Like I said to this day I am still sad about it being fake and that's why The Incineroar trailer is my least favorite and why I dislike everything to do with the Grinch. I miss those days I really, really do.
The worst part about that was all of the waiting. September only had Isabelle, a really likable character, but not very hype worthy. Especially how the style of her trailer worked. And then the slow ass, torturous month of October where we got nothing. And then we were greeted with Ken, a not very bad inclusion, but very mundane. And arguably the most predictable echo fighter ever. And also the disappointment of Incineroar being the last reveal. AND the removal of trophies. Plant is debatable depending on who you talk to. All that waiting for that.... <sigh>

The game is awesome though. No mundane addition is ever going to ruin how great the game is. There is one aftertaste from that direct that will linger for a long while though, which is the question of if spirits deconfirm characters or not. They will avoid that question like the plague and we'll probably never know the answer until the very last character is reveal. Which means more waiting.

Last edited:

dalolman

Smash Cadet
What do ya'll think the biggest surprise was for Ultimate?
For me, it's a tie between everyone returning and the Grinch leak being fake.
Everyone here is surprising for two reasons, I never thought those characters would see the light of day again(except Ice Climbers), and the fact that I believe adding everyone into the game made it a little lackluster in some other areas.
I'm totally not salty about All-Star being shafted to Multi-Man.

To this day I hate Incineroar now due to the Grinch leak being fake. It really did have everything going for it, and to line Isaac up exactly where Little Mac and Olimar were like the website? Completely plausible. The Rhythm Heaven reference in K. Rool's trailer, the tidbit of SMRPG music in Bowser's theme, K. Rool and Ridley's addition alone, the fact that this would all be super unnecessary af and time-consuming and damaging for it to be fake. It was too good to be true!
I predicted Ken, Isabelle, and Chrom from the very start, mostly Isabelle though. I wanted to be right a second time by guessing Geno getting in, I came home and saw Incineroar.

Grinch leak to date has to be the most well thought out, coincidental, and most plausible hoax in history to me. All of the odds seemed to be in its favor!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Young Link was the biggest surprise overall. I didn't think he had a chance, since Toon Link took his role. Isabelle I thought had a chance. Dark Samus I didn't think was too likely, but she seemed like a fair option to me. Ridley I knew would get in someday. K. Rool I expected at some point. Ken I kind of figured once Richter was there. Simon I had a feeling was coming at some point. Richter was almost as surprising as Young Link. Pichu I actually thought would come back at some point. Snake I wasn't surprised at due to Konami being way better lately. Incineroar felt super likely to me(regardless of Verg, I had a good feeling about him. I was just entirely wrong on why he was chosen). Ice Climbers and Wolf weren't surprising veterans at all and were super easy to expect for me. Albeit, a lot figured they'd be back too. Daisy I thought always had a decent chance, same with Waluigi, but while I wasn't necessarily expecting her, she didn't surprise me in the slightest. It was hindsight in her case, though. It felt like "Ohhhhhh, that makes sense. Given prominence lately." Chrom I entirely expected more than any newcomer. I didn't think they'd stick with only 2/3 of the Awakening protagonists. The only notable thing is I thought he'd be an Ike echo, like many did. I of course think him being a Roy one makes tons of sense.

For DLC, so far both are huge surprises to me. PP was unexpected easily, and Joker I knew little of.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
And all the Mother stages being revealed, especially Fourside and Magicant, is something you know very well how I reacted to lmao. I ****ing loved it so much. And the remixes for those two stages just make me cry so much lol. They are nostalgic.
I can imagine, lol. Funnily enough, I played Melee long before I got the chance to play any of the Mother games, so I didn't even know what Fourside was when I first saw it. I just loved it immediately because I'm a sucker for nighttime cityscapes, I guess. You can imagine how uproarious I was when I finally saw it brought back in glorious HD.
Now we just need Poke Floats to find its way into this game, and then my 8-year-old self will finally be able to relive the Melee days in their full glory.

D

Deleted member

Ridley I honestly did not expect at all due to what Sakurai said about him before he became playable
Simon I knew was happening before the music leak even happened and before I knew who Vergeben was
K. Rool I predicted the day before the August direct, same with Simon
Isabelle was pretty lackluster for me
Ken I, as well as a ton of other people, knew was happening the moment echo fighters became a thing and after Richter happened
And Incineroar made me die inside because it wasn't Shadow or Geno
Piranha Plant made me die inside even more
And Joker I honestly didn't care about, and still don't

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Out of all the possible DLC characters they could've chosen, the fact that they chose P L A N T was hella funny and surprising to me

Oh and the fact that Joker didn't get leaked at all was cool and the style of reveal where he hijacks the VGA was super cool since I was watching the livestream. I really do need to play Persona 5

Once Ridley was revealed I actually thoughtK.Rool was kind of a given tbh

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
King K. Rool, mainly because I thought the first-party reveal would happen at the START of the Direct, and not the other way around. I didn't suspect a thing until the ground shook in Sakurai's room.

Joker, because I didn't think he would remotely be considered until the next game at best. Props to the way he got pulled out of nowhere in the VGAs, as well.

Piranha Plant. I was genuinely shocked by that, and believe me, that's pretty hard to do in regards to game reveals.

It seemed to have everything going for it but all it took was one little trailer to destroy it completely. Like I said to this day I am still sad about it being fake and that's why The Inceniroar trailer is my least favorite and why I dislike everything to do with the Grinch. I miss those days I really, really do.
Honestly, I was always unsure about it, mainly due to a few odd things (especially Banjo's nose being bigger than it's supposed to be). And as far as promo material goes, 2-D drawings are relatively simple to edit if one has the know-how.

When people want something so badly, it's easy for unsavory individuals to exploit them for fame and attention. The worst part is, this wasn't even apologized for. And this whole thing happened one week away from November.

It caused toxic tribalism just so someone would sit back and watch the fireworks.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I really didn't find any of the reveals disappointing, since every single one (besides like P L A N T) had a reason to be there.

Like, I get if you're upset if a character was absent, but you really can't discredit any of the characters besides P L A N T tbh, and even then P L A N T caused the entire internet to collectively go "wait, what!?" (besides that one guy who leaked it lmao) so I would say that's a pretty big impact.

i might be biased for joker but hes hella cool and a good character to entice the modern audience with so he has a purpose too

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly I really didn't find any of the reveals disappointing, since every single one (besides like P L A N T) had a reason to be there.

Like, I get if you're upset if a character was absent, but you really can't discredit any of the characters besides P L A N T tbh, and even then P L A N T caused the entire internet to collectively go "wait, what!?" (besides that one guy who leaked it lmao) so I would say that's a pretty big impact.

i might be biased for joker but hes hella cool and a good character to entice the modern audience with so he has a purpose too
I still find it funny he thought PP was riding a kart.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well I'm assuming the Fighters pass is gonna be filled with Promotional characters since Joker is getting a P5 Port, Erdrick if he's in would be pushing DQ to the west which I'm certain would be like half the reason to put Erdrick in with the other being DQ's legacy. Etc. if My Assumptions are correct I feel Most of the Misc DLC should be Fan-Favorites Since they're likely to not put in any Fan-Favs for the Fighters pass.

Edit: To Clarify, I don't think they're gonna add many fan favorites to the possible Misc DLC just that they Should but since we don't know the rules and what they want to do with the Possible Misc DLC I feel the only one they could put in would be Geno. and while that's the exact opposite of a Bad Thing I do want other fans to be happy as well, Banjo fans and Isaac fans have been waiting a Decade at this point and I feel they should be rewarded for their Patience.
Don't forget about us Krystal and Dixie fans.

Stage Cameo, no since they already appear on the battlefield in some way. Spirits, Yes since they don't do much outside of Spirits mode and not a lot of people use the Spirit battle option for regular Battles and they could always change the Spirits they upgrade to "_____( Classic)" as all they have to do is rewrite the Code some and boom done. Well at least from my knowledge anyways.
If Assists don't get upgraded, it would definitely increase Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Dixie Kong, Shantae, Elma, Bandana Dee, Porky, and Sylux's chances. But I'm not saying that would be a good or bad thing to be honest because a lot of Assists deserve to be playable.

The :ultkrool: reveal because he's been MIA for 10 years and hasn't been in anything major since DK64. Or probably :ultridley: because once everybody saw him, that's when people were expecting after that to see the floodgates opened to the more thought to be impossible wanted characters like :ultkrool:. :ultridley: was really the true never ever because of his size issue Sakurai had with him in the past. People were laughing hard at Verge when he leaked the content that was going to be shown off at E3 a couple of months before hand because of :ultridley: being in the leak. That's how unbelievable :ultridley: was before he got in.

The K. Rool reveal, easily. Everyone is here was hype and surprising, but I wouldn't say it was the biggest surprise, per se. I thought K. Rool had a snowball's chance in hell of ever getting in (much as I think Banjo is right now)... but then that villain montage happened... and then DK yawned.

And then I screamed.

Hopefully, I can one day feel that hype and happiness over Geno and Banjo, my last two most wanteds, just as I did for K. Rool. ♥
:ultkrool:'s reveal hyped me up so much, that it almost gave me a heart attack. I wanted :ultkrool: since Melee which, during the time of his reveal I've waited 17 years for his Smash inclusion. It was a surreal feeling to finally have closure after waiting so long.

Only Goemon and Banjo & Kazooie getting in could give me that feeling again.

Asxin

Smash Rookie
Sorry I leave for a long time, I never thought the new school life is so goddamn busy

Yesterday I had a nightmare about I suddentaly missed this place a lot so I came here, but then I found out in shock that all the posts were dissapeared, all the suppoters were gone, there was a small, bloody red "X" on the top of the page and I somehow knew that it told me Geno is impossible to come back to us, we never have a chance to see him in future smash and all of you left in despair.

The dream freaks me out so I come back to check it's a dream or not. And luckily, it was! My poor little heart.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sorry I leave for a long time, I never thought the new school life is so goddamn busy

Yesterday I had a nightmare about I suddentaly missed this place a lot so I came here, but then I found out in shock that all the posts were dissapeared, all the suppoters were gone, there was a small, bloody red "X" on the top of the page and I somehow knew that it told me Geno is impossible to come back to us, we never have a chance to see him in future smash and all of you left in despair.

The dream freaks me out so I come back to check it's a dream or not. And luckily, it was! My poor little heart.
Well hey, welcome back! :)

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
I found it! There’s a theory that 1.50 is the lvl 30 cap combination of all 5 playable characters in Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars. And if you convert lvl 30 to 30 seconds you get 2 minutes and 30 secs. The Mii costumes [for Geno in smash 4] were priced at 1.50 and 2.30.

“Costs USD$1.50 if purchased for a specific system, or if purchased for both the 3DS and Wii U, costs $2.30.”

https://youtu.be/FsEaw3AHJ94?t=134
papagenos papagenos What's your take on this? Since mii costumes for ultimate will be priced at .75 cents... could we be getting Geno?
Smash Ultimate: Costumes will cost $0.75 USD (about $1 CAD) and are slated to go on sale sometime in 2019.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman
Ridley made me realize that this game was going to be different with its newcomers.
Simon was long overdue and Richter was a nice surprise.
I thought it was possible that Chrom would get in due to Ike missing the Chrom-inspired outfit.
Dark Samus actually caught me off-gaurd.
King K.Rool was someone I always thought should be in Smash, and was great how they paid tribute to DKC and DK64 (Lanky Kong DLC plz)
Isabelle was someone who I thought would be an echo, but in hindsight her being her own character makes more sense.
Ken was an obvious echo fighter, wasn't surprised by him.
Incineroar was a nice surprise and told people to not trust leaks no matter how much "evidence" there is.
Piranha Plant just came out of nowhere and is honestly one of the most unique looking fighters in the game. I'm VERY happy about him being in.
Joker also just came out of nowhere and once again and I'm really excited to see what they do with his moveset.

Can't wait for Erdrick.

D

Deleted member

I almost forgot to post this here. What do you think?
Screenshot_20190129-110013_Gallery.jpg

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Apparently the update is supposed to drop between 5-8PM tonight if you're an Amerilad (Northern and Southern variety). Supposedly Pirhana Plant IS NOT a part of the update so it'll be interesting to see what this brings.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Apparently the update is supposed to drop between 5-8PM tonight if you're an Amerilad (Northern and Southern variety). Supposedly Pirhana Plant IS NOT a part of the update so it'll be interesting to see what this brings.
Wait, you mean insiders don't think PP is part of the update at all?

WHAT DOES IT MEEEEAN?

D

Deleted member

Really!?

It's confirmed. Piranha Plant was a troll reveal and we are getting our boy instead.

Lightspeed97

Smash Cadet
I'm assuming the update will have Piranha Plant ready to go whenever Nintendo flips their server-side switch though, unless theres ANOTHER update planned right after 2.0 but I doubt that.

I wonder if we'll be getting any knew info from a datamine of 2.0...

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
I'm assuming the update will have Piranha Plant ready to go whenever Nintendo flips their server-side switch though, unless theres ANOTHER update planned right after 2.0 but I doubt that.

I wonder if we'll be getting any knew info from a datamine of 2.0...
I love data miners lol I want to know the secrets!

D

Deleted member

No PP? Then what would make this big enough to be a 2.0.0 Update hmm... Maybe a returning Mode? Interesting.

D

Deleted member

I honestly think they need a Smash direct to show off whatever this new update brings

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Really? I was hearing a lot during the pre-release that the stage model was in the game.
That's misinfo, I'm afraid. There is absolutely nothing for HRC beyond the music in the coding. I don't know where you heard that from, but it's pretty blatantly false.

Lightspeed97

Smash Cadet
That's misinfo, I'm afraid. There is absolutely nothing for HRC beyond the music in the coding. I don't know where you heard that from, but it's pretty blatantly false.
Yeah, a quick research on the Cutting Room Floor shows you're correct:

"The mode Home-Run Contest, which appeared in every Smash game since Melee, is mentioned several times in the game’s code. Contrary to several rumors online, little to no viewable stage data for the mode can be found in the game’s files or stage folder, the same being true for Stage Builder. This previously mentioned code is most likely leftovers from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, the latest game in the series which features both the Home-Run Contest and Stage Builder.
The music tracks used for these, as well as any other missing modes (such as Coin Launcher or Trophy Rush), can be played in Ultimate’s sound test player."

https://tcrf.net/Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate#Home-Run_Contest_Leftovers

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Ridley, "Everyone Is Here" (special mention goes to Snake and Cloud), Daisy, King K. Rool and Joker were hands down that.

As for PP.....I have to admit, despite the intial burst of shock, I wasn't too surprised since wacky decisions like that aren't outside Sakurai's realm of possibility.

dalolman

Smash Cadet
Yeah, a quick research on the Cutting Room Floor shows you're correct:

"The mode Home-Run Contest, which appeared in every Smash game since Melee, is mentioned several times in the game’s code. Contrary to several rumors online, little to no viewable stage data for the mode can be found in the game’s files or stage folder, the same being true for Stage Builder. This previously mentioned code is most likely leftovers from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, the latest game in the series which features both the Home-Run Contest and Stage Builder.
The music tracks used for these, as well as any other missing modes (such as Coin Launcher or Trophy Rush), can be played in Ultimate’s sound test player."

https://tcrf.net/Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate#Home-Run_Contest_Leftovers
That's so dumb to me. Why include the music if you can't include the mode? It's like a make-up gift for those modes being cut.
"Sorry, we don't have the modes, but we got the music."

D

Deleted member

Ridley, "Everyone Is Here" (special mention goes to Snake and Cloud), Daisy, King K. Rool and Joker were hands down that.

As for PP.....I have to admit, despite the intial burst of shock, I wasn't too surprised since wacky decisions like that aren't outside Sakurai's realm of possibility.
Lol that is true about PP. I wouldn't even be surprised if Sandbag is DLC at this point :p

Mallow Spirit.
Like, holy **** that came out of nowhere
That's an interesting choice :D

I didn't expect it either. It feels nice having the spirit along with Geno, so Mallow wouldn't be left out of being represented in Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom