• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Hello Isaac bro! :)

Yeah RH and GS are the remaining Nintendo franchises that don't have a rep, but need need a rep
I'd say Advance Wars is one that deserves a rep, too. Chibi Robo is up there, but not deserving. I think in order from most to least, the unrepped franchises that deserve a rep are:

1) Rhythm Heaven
2) Golden Sun
3) Advance Wars
4) Chibi Robo
5) ARMS

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Erdrick and Lloyd being Joker's height is definitely weird. Neither of them even look his height, and even comparing them to Cloud is a bit much imo. However, if it were being compared to Cloud, than I'd have to say Lloyd is the "brave" guy. Eddy will never as tall as either of them, kid or adult.
I am willing to give benefit of the doubt when it comes to size. Erdrick as an adult looks pretty tall. I can see him being Cloud's height easy. On top of that, there have always been a ton of liberties taken when putting a character in. Ridley is smaller than K.Rool, Bowser and Dedede when he would be a giant to those guys based on source material alone.

Don't even get me started on comparing Pikachu to Star Fox.

D

Deleted member

My fellow Geno bro! :D

Agreed. Funny enough both series got the most spirits compared to other series without playable reps from what I seen. It may amount to nothing at the end of the day, but it's great to see the representation given and here's hoping it bodes well for them having future playable characters in smash.

-Also on a side note how's the super mario rpg campaign? Have a major exam I'm preparing for in two weeks, but would love to help out as much as I can afterwards alongside with getting Golden Sun revived of course :p
Yeah, because of the amount of spirits from those two franchises compared to other Nintendo franchises, I think those two and ARMS (I can't believe I forgot about ARMS lmao, but Tetrin Tetrin reminded me) are the next Nintendo franchises without a rep to get a rep.

The SMRPG campaign is going really nicely! I would love to help out with the GS campaign as well. Good luck with the exam too :)

I'd say Advance Wars is one that deserves a rep, too. Chibi Robo is up there, but not deserving. I think in order from most to least, the unrepped franchises that deserve a rep are:

1) Rhythm Heaven
2) Golden Sun
3) Advance Wars
4) Chibi Robo
5) ARMS
Those are good franchises to get a rep. I do not know why I forgot about ARMS

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I am willing to give benefit of the doubt when it comes to size. Erdrick as an adult looks pretty tall. I can see him being Cloud's height easy. On top of that, there have always been a ton of liberties taken when putting a character in. Ridley is smaller than K.Rool, Bowser and Dedede when he would be a giant to those guys based on source material alone.

Don't even get me started on comparing Pikachu to Star Fox.
I guess that's fair, but I just don't see them compressing Joker that much. He'd look weird imo, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

And by the way, which characters do you guys think get too much support? To me, it's Shovel Knight and Shantae. I'm open to discussion about it, but I don't see either of them having very unique movesets. Shovel Knight I'm more informed of, so I can safely say his sword would have 2-3 unique moves before essentially becoming a sword that can dig, because realistically, how many things can a shovel do that a sword can't besides dig? For Shantae, I'll admit I'm very uninformed about her game, but her tilts would probably be a lot like Dixie's if she were in, and I'd have to say Dixie deserves a spot more. She can get in for fanservice, and I honestly wouldn't mind (she's literally in my list of characters that I wouldn't mind in Smash in my signature lol), but I think she'd quickly become stale overall with a mostly derivative moveset.

Again, I'm open to discussion, mainly on Shantae. I don't know much about Shantae's series, so if there's something I'm overlooking, let me know. As far as I'm aware, however, both of these characters would be better off as assist trophies.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
It still baffles me that Rhythm Heaven still hasn't gotten a playable rep at this point. The franchise is still active and we even got a smash run enemy from the series, but it seems like it has always run short of a playable rep in smash.
I, uh-

...Did you quote me here at some point? Says you quoted me, yo. I'm so confused but, at the same time, I've been gathering RH data for the Nintendo First Party section of my sheet.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh lol nvm then :p

But on the subject of retro series, which ones do you feel deserve a rep?

Actually, just extend the question to any Nintendo series lol.

For me:
F-Zero deserves an echo. It had 8 games and was decently popular. We've never seen the characters, so that's the only thing holding it back from a full-fledged second rep imo.
Advance Wars. Preferably Andy. Don't even know why they killed off the series.
Golden Sun. See game above. Isaac for Smash.
Sin and Punishment. Definitely more obscure than the others, but had two games in a genre Nintendo wasn't quite used to. I think it should get either Saki or Isa.
Chibi Robo. It had 5 games and still no rep. Unfair if you ask me.
Mysterious Murasame Castle. Not so much deserving, just Takamaru would be a cool inclusion. Katana fighters in general would be like faster and more versatile sword fighters.
Rhythm Heaven. Outrageous they haven't been given someone Chorus Kids, Marshal, or Karate Joe better be in the next game.
ARMS. Sold 2 million units on its first game, which isn't so common for new IPs by Nintendo anymore. Admittedly, Spring Man is not brimming with moveset potential, it'd still be cool to improvise in this case.
Daemon X Machina. Only partially owned by Nintendo, but I think it shows a lot of promise. Hopefully gets a rep (and a sequel).
I agree with all of your selections, but do you have a source on Daemon X Machina being co owned by Nintendo?

Oh I forgot Boxboy. Pretty interesting series, though only available on e-shop. Do you guys think Qbby would even be a good addition?
So much yes. (Pls guys if you like Qbby come to the support thread it’s quiet in there)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I guess that's fair, but I just don't see them compressing Joker that much. He'd look weird imo, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

And by the way, which characters do you guys think get too much support? To me, it's Shovel Knight and Shantae. I'm open to discussion about it, but I don't see either of them having very unique movesets. Shovel Knight I'm more informed of, so I can safely say his sword would have 2-3 unique moves before essentially becoming a sword that can dig, because realistically, how many things can a shovel do that a sword can't besides dig? For Shantae, I'll admit I'm very uninformed about her game, but her tilts would probably be a lot like Dixie's if she were in, and I'd have to say Dixie deserves a spot more. She can get in for fanservice, and I honestly wouldn't mind (she's literally in my list of characters that I wouldn't mind in Smash in my signature lol), but I think she'd quickly become stale overall with a mostly derivative moveset.
Considering this is a Geno Support thread, I think it is best to stay on topic with just discussing Geno and (indirectly) any character to come under the same banner of Mario Series or Square Enix.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I agree with all of your selections, but do you have a source on Daemon X Machina being co owned by Nintendo?

So much yes. (Pls guys if you like Qbby come to the support thread it’s quiet in there)
I don't, but I'm 99% sure that they have partial rights. Marvelous developed the game, but Nintendo is publishing it. That's what happened with Bayo 2, and Nintendo has partial rights to that game. And unlike with Octopath, Also, you could even look it up; none of them are sources I'd quote, but almost everyone has referred to it as first-party.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman

I don't, but I'm 99% sure that they have partial rights. Marvelous developed the game, but Nintendo is publishing it. That's what happened with Bayo 2, and Nintendo has partial rights to that game. And unlike with Octopath, Also, you could even look it up; none of them are sources I'd quote, but almost everyone has referred to it as first-party.

Marvelous appears to be self-publishing the game in Japan, whereas it is published abroad by Nintendo. Marvelous itself is not owned by Nintendo, making it a third-party developer. The producer and publisher of Bayonetta is Nintendo, whereas the Producer of Daemon x Machina is Kenichiro Tsucada (Armored Core Series and Fate/EXCELLA series) from First Studio, and Nintendo only publishes outside of Japan.

From this we can assume, then, that Daemon x Machina is wholely a third-party title, whereas a game owned by a company but funded by another (EX. Bayonnetta 2-3) would be more of a second-party character.

None of these characters are in the same spot as Geno; a character from a first party franchise but was created by a third party for the first party, but owned solely by the third party.

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Anger is a hell of a motivator but you have to channel it in the right way. Let's make a deadline, eh? Let's produce something tangible by E3. How does that sound? I'm still supporting Geno in this game but let's do something with this. Some of you are indignant, okay, what are you going to do about it? @papagenos TerminalMontage TerminalMontage Any ideas?
Oh man I'm super late, but I just checked out the first post in the Starfall thread. What's going on? I don't typically read through all the pages I've missed but I gather you guys want to make a video or something by E3? I signed the petition in that thread and I'm gonna share it on social media later. I don't think I'll have much time to do anything atm, but I'd like to help (:

Also.. I saw the recent leaks. I guess DQ is a sealed deal. I just hope there is a Goku color scheme :p

I also saw the leaks that guessed him and Joker that mentioned Doomguy, Steve and Ninja Gaiden.. Very disappointing if true but..

This still gives me hope. SHULK CAN SEE INTO THE FUTURE. THIS MUST BE A HINT.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
I, uh-

...Did you quote me here at some point? Says you quoted me, yo. I'm so confused but, at the same time, I've been gathering RH data for the Nintendo First Party section of my sheet.
Ah sorry about that. For some reason or another part of the quotation I used back on the isaac thread carried over and I had to edit it out.

Also thanks @Zack E.! Much obliged and I'm looking forward to helping out after the exam of course and your help will definitely help out alongside with us Golden Fan suns alike :D

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
That’s what will really irritate me if Erdrick actually gets in. Sure, he’s from a series that’s huge in Japan, but as far as I know, he’s never scored very well in Japanese smash polls. He’s not bringing a unique play style to the table either. From all accounts, he’s as generic as anime swordboys come.

And you mean to tell me a character like this is worth the legal nightmare it would take to make it happen?

I know it’s not a personal attack against Geno and his fans, but it’ll still feel like a slap in the face.
This time it'll feel like a middle finger to our face. Hell, even Slime gets more requested than Erdrick and Erdrick seems more likely. That's why I'm actually not a big fan of marketing characters that make it into Smash... like Corrin for example, I didn't like him back in the DLC for SSB4 because he was there just to promote. I'm 100% against characters that are only in Smash because of promotion. It's basically like hiring an unskilled and inexperienced worker to do the job instead of hiring a worker who's an expert and experienced at the job. We'll just have to see until it's officially confirmed.

D

Deleted member

Ah sorry about that. For some reason or another part of the quotation I used back on the isaac thread carried over and I had to edit it out.

Also thanks @Zack E.! Much obliged and I'm looking forward to helping out after the exam of course and your help will definitely help out alongside with us Golden Fan suns alike :D
You are welcome! Thank you :)

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Oh man I'm super late, but I just checked out the first post in the Starfall thread. What's going on? I don't typically read through all the pages I've missed but I gather you guys want to make a video or something by E3? I signed the petition in that thread and I'm gonna share it on social media later. I don't think I'll have much time to do anything atm, but I'd like to help (:

Also.. I saw the recent leaks. I guess DQ is a sealed deal. I just hope there is a Goku color scheme :p

I also saw the leaks that guessed him and Joker that mentioned Doomguy, Steve and Ninja Gaiden.. Very disappointing if true but..

This still gives me hope. SHULK CAN SEE INTO THE FUTURE. THIS MUST BE A HINT.
I know about the leaks, but we won't find out until it's officially confirmed. And yeah, it's disappointing if that's true. The hint with Shulk and Geno is either a coincidence or done by Sakurai himself, giving us a small hint. Erdrick is 90% looking official, but it'll be such a rare thing if he actually ends up being leakbait and if the Square character ends up being someone else. Remember what Polar's source said, nobody knows the DLC, and it was true with nobody knowing Joker. If Erdrick is our Square character, then for once his source ends up being wrong and we probably know the DLC.

I just find it interesting how Geno is a profile icon and Mallow isn't.

It also just baffles me that Sakurai had a hard time getting Cloud in the game (almost not even making it in the roster), even though he's full-on Square property, but they were able to get a character that's owned by Square and three other companies, along with a strict composer that hates the west? Hmm...
Erdrick doesn't seem mind-blowing like Joker was either; the only Square characters that seem mind-blowing are 2B, Lara Croft, Geno, Crono, and Sephiroth. Erdrick is popping up out of nowhere, even more than the other 6 that were stated on that list. If the Edrick leak ends up being leakbait and wrong, I can see us not getting a Square character at all or the Square character being Crono or Geno.

D

Deleted member

I know about the leaks, but we won't find out until it's officially confirmed. And yeah, it's disappointing if that's true. The hint with Shulk and Geno is either a coincidence or done by Sakurai himself, giving us a small hint. Erdrick is 90% looking official, but it'll be such a rare thing if he actually ends up being leakbait and if the Square character ends up being someone else. Remember what Polar's source said, nobody knows the DLC, and it was true with nobody knowing Joker. If Erdrick is our Square character, then for once his source ends up being wrong and we probably know the DLC.

It also just baffles me that Sakurai had a hard time getting Cloud in the game (almost not even making it in the roster), even though he's full-on Square property, but they were able to get a character that's owned by Square and three other companies, along with a strict composer that hates the west? Hmm...
Erdrick doesn't seem mind-blowing like Joker was either; the only Square characters that seem mind-blowing are 2B, Lara Croft, Geno, Crono, and Sephiroth. Erdrick is popping up out of nowhere, even more than the other 6 that were stated on that list. If the Edrick leak ends up being leakbait and wrong, I can see us not getting a Square character at all or the Square character being Crono or Geno.
I think we are definitely getting an SE rep from the list of seven. IIRC, according to Vergeben, there were firings at Square for the list being leaked. Makes it obvious that there is an SE rep from the list of seven, so I think we are definitely getting one of those 7 characters

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think we are definitely getting an SE rep from the list of seven. IIRC, according to Vergeben, there were firings at Square for the list being leaked. Makes it obvious that there is an SE rep from the list of seven, so I think we are definitely getting one of those 7 characters
I hope that one lucky character that makes it in out of the 7 is Geno.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This time it'll feel like a middle finger to our face. Hell, even Slime gets more requested than Erdrick and Erdrick seems more likely. That's why I'm actually not a big fan of marketing characters that make it into Smash... like Corrin for example, I didn't like him back in the DLC for SSB4 because he was there just to promote. I'm 100% against characters that are only in Smash because of promotion. It's basically like hiring an unskilled and inexperienced worker to do the job instead of hiring a worker who's an expert and experienced at the job. We'll just have to see until it's officially confirmed.
Isn't Erdrick's game is like really old at this point, how he's a promotional character?

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman

Gotta ask, what are the recent leaks? Not gonna take it seriously if it's just Vergeben, though. And what's interesting about Mallow not being an icon? Mallow surely wouldn't get in over Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Gotta ask, what are the recent leaks? Not gonna take it seriously if it's just Vergeben, though. And what's interesting about Mallow not being an icon? Mallow surely wouldn't get in over Geno.
Basically a datamine done over a month ago that revealed the coding blue prints for Pirhana Plant, Joker, and "Brave" with all current evidence pointing to it being a Dragon Quest character based on what's been learned in roughly six months' time. It was kept a secret until some dumbass blabbed and now it's been covered by literally every gaming outlet.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Time for a thinking-out-loud moment.

Erdrick is objectively looking a lot more likely now. I'd give him a 90% chance. The other 10% goes to anyone else who could reasonably fit under a "Brave" codename (which I doubt would include Geno).

So...What are we looking at now? The SE slot looks to be filled, leaving 3 "blank" ones left. From here, I see two possible ways for Geno to still make it in.

First, that there are two SE reps planned for the Pass. If SE was ever to get a third rep in Smash, Geno would by far be the most likely pick. For the most part, the distribution of third party slots have been somewhat balanced:

Sega - 3 (Sonic, Bayo, Joker)
Capcom - 3 (Mega Man, Ryu, Ken)
Konami - 3 (Snake, Simon, Richter)
Namco - 1 (Pac-Man)
Square Enix - 2 (Cloud, "SE Rep")

Based on this, the two companies who stand the best chance at getting another character are Namco and SE. Of course, with only three slots left in Wave 1, I doubt Nintendo would use so many of them on third parties alone.

But that still plays into Geno's advantage, because he's a Mario character. He's the closest you can be to a 1st party while still being owned by another company. So if he gets in, you'd get the best of both worlds...Square would get extra profit (off a character they never use anyway), and additional brand placement. Nintendo would get one of "their" characters represented in Smash. It wouldn't add to the saturation of third party franchises in this DLC pack. A win win, if you ask me.

The second way to look at Geno getting in is to assume that, in spite of who owns what, at least one slot will be a fan service character. That doesn't seem like a stretch for a pack of 5 fighters. Especially when you think about the focus of Ultimate, and the way Nintendo has been nailing DLC in recent times. Of course, Geno isn't the only character that could fill this slot, but he's definitely one of the top candidates. Especially if you only look at Nintendo characters who aren't assist trophies (because again, Geno can be characterized that way).

And a bonus third way to look at it is that there will be a Second Wave. My gut tells me there won't be, but it's certainly not impossible. Getting 5 more characters would make Geno's chances super high, in my opinion.

But I'm a realistic guy. I know that we're quickly running out of opportunities to see him playable in this game, and that hurts. Ultimate is still a great game, and I can enjoy it even if my most wanted (my only wanted, really) is still kept out. I still believe that his mii costume will be coming, if nothing else. And if we got some SMRPG tracks thrown into the deal too? That'd be pretty awesome.

But it isn't over, so don't lose hope quite yet. And even if the last bit of hope eventually fades away, don't despair.

D

Deleted member

Time for a thinking-out-loud moment.

Erdrick is objectively looking a lot more likely now. I'd give him a 90% chance. The other 10% goes to anyone else who could reasonably fit under a "Brave" codename (which I doubt would include Geno).

So...What are we looking at now? The SE slot looks to be filled, leaving 3 "blank" ones left. From here, I see two possible ways for Geno to still make it in.

First, that there are two SE reps planned for the Pass. If SE was ever to get a third rep in Smash, Geno would by far be the most likely pick. For the most part, the distribution of third party slots have been somewhat balanced:

Sega - 3 (Sonic, Bayo, Joker)
Capcom - 3 (Mega Man, Ryu, Ken)
Konami - 3 (Snake, Simon, Richter)
Namco - 1 (Pac-Man)
Square Enix - 2 (Cloud, "SE Rep")

Based on this, the two companies who stand the best chance at getting another character are Namco and SE. Of course, with only three slots left in Wave 1, I doubt Nintendo would use so many of them on third parties alone.

But that still plays into Geno's advantage, because he's a Mario character. He's the closest you can be to a 1st party while still being owned by another company. So if he gets in, you'd get the best of both worlds...Square would get extra profit (off a character they never use anyway), and additional brand placement. Nintendo would get one of "their" characters represented in Smash. It wouldn't add to the saturation of third party franchises in this DLC pack. A win win, if you ask me.

The second way to look at Geno getting in is to assume that, in spite of who owns what, at least one slot will be a fan service character. That doesn't seem like a stretch for a pack of 5 fighters. Especially when you think about the focus of Ultimate, and the way Nintendo has been nailing DLC in recent times. Of course, Geno isn't the only character that could fill this slot, but he's definitely one of the top candidates. Especially if you only look at Nintendo characters who aren't assist trophies (because again, Geno can be characterized that way).

And a bonus third way to look at it is that there will be a Second Wave. My gut tells me there won't be, but it's certainly not impossible. Getting 5 more characters would make Geno's chances super high, in my opinion.

But I'm a realistic guy. I know that we're quickly running out of opportunities to see him playable in this game, and that hurts. Ultimate is still a great game, and I can enjoy it even if my most wanted (my only wanted, really) is still kept out. I still believe that his mii costume will be coming, if nothing else. And if we got some SMRPG tracks thrown into the deal too? That'd be pretty awesome.

But it isn't over, so don't lose hope quite yet. And even if the last bit of hope eventually fades away, don't despair.
Bless you, bardbowman.

Also, have you come to this thread yet? https://smashboards.com/threads/operation-starfall-bringing-life-to-smrpg-again.467163/

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Basically a datamine done over a month ago that revealed the coding blue prints for Pirhana Plant, Joker, and "Brave" with all current evidence pointing to it being a Dragon Quest character based on what's been learned in roughly six months' time. It was kept a secret until some ******* blabbed and now it's been covered by literally every gaming outlet.
Yeah man it's interesting because I've seen ever major outlet cover the leak at this point, but they're also going a step further and covering the Doomguy/ninja gaiden portions of leaks that aren't even connected to the original "Brave" one really. The mainstream gaming media is really latching onto this way more than they ever did the Grinch leak. I think they might be setting themselves up to look silly there because even if Erdrick ends up being true that doesn't mean Doomguy, Steve, and Ryu Hayabusa are. But of course if they're wrong their response will be "Well we said it was a rumor not that it was confirmed :^)". To me things like Steve and Doomguy feel a bit fishy. Especially considering how Vergeben more or less backtracked on Steve as a playable character. The more I think about it the more it doesn't seem to line up.

Part of me still hopes the "Brave" thing is leakbait either as a distraction from the actual character or something else. Is that because I'm still hoping for Geno? Yes definitely.

Isn't Erdrick's game is like really old at this point, how he's a promotional character?
It'd be less a promotion for his specific game and more for DQ as a whole considering it has never had the popularity in the west that it enjoys in Japan. Also if the rumors of the Luminary being an alt are true that would line u[ with DQ11 getting a port on the switch.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's so clear that DQ is very, VERY likely, if not Yuri Lowell or some other 'brave' character, but that 5chan leak claiming Steve, Ryu, and Doom Marine is a fat load if I've ever seen one. I say that as someone who would like Ryu and REALLY like Doom Marine in Smash. They made a lucky guess after Joker about Erdrick when everyone and their mother was suspecting Erdrick already, claimed they got the 'leak' from Reddit, and acted like your typical bad text leaker. It has just as much evidence as the Joker + Chrono/Neku + Banjo + etc. leak from 4chan: nothing but a lucky guess.

Even people from Gamexplain are jumping on it, and unless they know something huge that we don't (which is totally possible), it's jumping the gun hugely. Remember that Jon from Gamexplain, probably the most credible of their group, predicted Geno with huge optimism when no one else did, and even that is very likely wrong. No one knows the DLC outside of Joker and probably DQ. I can't even begin to comprehend why people are being so quick to hop on this leak.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
It's so clear that DQ is very, VERY likely, if not Yuri Lowell or some other 'brave' character, but that 5chan leak claiming Steve, Ryu, and Doom Marine is a fat load if I've ever seen one. I say that as someone who would like Ryu and REALLY like Doom Marine in Smash. They made a lucky guess after Joker about Erdrick when everyone and their mother was suspecting Erdrick already, claimed they got the 'leak' from Reddit, and acted like your typical bad text leaker. It has just as much evidence as the Joker + Chrono/Neku + Banjo + etc. leak from 4chan: nothing but a lucky guess.

Even people from Gamexplain are jumping on it, and unless they know something huge that we don't (which is totally possible), it's jumping the gun hugely. Remember that Jon from Gamexplain, probably the most credible of their group, predicted Geno with huge optimism when no one else did, and even that is very likely wrong. No one knows the DLC outside of Joker and probably DQ. I can't even begin to comprehend why people are being so quick to hop on this leak.
lmao I just came here and made my last post specifically because I just watched that Gamexplain video and found my face contorting as they for the most part totally ate up this rumor while remembering how skeptical they were of the Grinch leak. Like, wtf.

D

Deleted member

I put that Doom Guy + Ryu + Steve leak into the trash when it became a thing.

Also music icon theory so.....yeah

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think the thing about the Doom Marine, Ryu, and Steve leak is how people tend to be broadcasting it.

Looking at Gamexplain's video and the comments, a LOT of people are associating that leak with the 'brave' datamine, presuming that those three were datamined, as well. Journalistic integrity is at its worst in documenting this right now, because when you have people thinking this 5chan rumor is something that was datamined when it wasn't, that is a massive problem.

Do... I really have to say fake news? I have to say fake news.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think the thing about the Doom Marine, Ryu, and Steve leak is how people tend to be broadcasting it.

Looking at Gamexplain's video and the comments, a LOT of people are associating that leak with the 'brave' datamine, presuming that those three were datamined, as well. Journalistic integrity is at its worst in documenting this right now, because when you have people thinking this 5chan rumor is something that was datamined when it wasn't, that is a massive problem.

Do... I really have to say fake news? I have to say fake news.
There is a lot of misinformation spreading around, even in cases where people make it clear of the Ryu/Steve/Doomguy leaks origin.

beans

Smash Lord
lmao I just came here and made my last post specifically because I just watched that Gamexplain video and found my face contorting as they for the most part totally ate up this rumor while remembering how skeptical they were of the Grinch leak. Like, wtf.
I mean, one had pretty much all leakers saying it was fake and the other one just exists.
Even in a scenario were they cant possibly have info there is still a reason why they talk more about one of them.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I mean, one had pretty much all leakers saying it was fake and the other one just exists.
Even in a scenario were they cant possibly have info there is still a reason why they talk more about one of them.
True. And I think that's because they had tangible evidence that the leak was fake (seeing inceniroar and piranha plant) versus now there's nothing specifically refuting this. But at the same time you'd think they'd be more skeptical considering how convincing fake leaks have been in the recent past. Just because something doesn't have evidence of being fake doesn't mean they should be broadcasting it as being likely true.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We've had nearly every character leaked this time, so it makes sense fans and outlets are "trying to solve the puzzle".
"Nearly all of the previous characters have been leaked. Therefore, all the future characters will!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
I feel as though they do know certain things about the dlc and they are agreeing with the leak because it is indeed true, or they've been ordered by Nintendo to say it's true to throw everyone off. I think the latter is highly possible. But I do think Erdrick and Steve are in.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I do not understand why this leak has gained so much traction
It could be because people aren't aware that the supposed leak was made after Joker's reveal, so they see a leak that supposedly predicted Joker (who's been revealed) and Erdrick (who's been implied through datamining), and they think that the entire thing (Steve?/Ryu Hayabusa/Doomguy) is legitimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom