• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Wait what happened?
Just started out pointing out how brave wasn't an exlusive term to DQ and how it wasn't a very logical business decision for it to be a DQ character when the series has always done poorly in the West, and devolved from there.

D

Deleted member

Just started out pointing out how brave wasn't an exlusive term to DQ and how it wasn't a very logical business decision for it to be a DQ character when the series has always done poorly in the West, and devolved from there.
Oh, okay.

When the "brave" data was originally posted, I thought it was definitely referring to Eddy, or a different DQ character, because of how the user who posted the link to the data worded it.

I think Eddy is really likely now, though. I would say brave is either referring to him or Lloyd. I don't think Yuri is it. Lloyd got a Mii costume in Smash 4 instead of him, and Sakurai considers Lloyd the definitive Tales rep.

Even if Eddy is in, I will be happy for a friend of mine who wanted him, and it doesn't mean Geno is out. Geno is a Mario character, after all

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Honestly don't waste your time over there. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt for so long; but the Brave leak just made them turn off all listening to outside arguments.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Honestly don't waste your time over there. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt for so long; but the Brave leak just made them turn off all listening to outside arguments.
That's sorta the impression I got too. It's frustrating when there is a lot of other possibilities that need to be taken into account.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Whoa, sorry I've been gone for awhile, there's been quite a few pages since I've last posted, huh?

Anyways, here's something I was thinking about the other day. This has sort of been discussed here before under various topic starters, but I'd be interested in hearing everybody's flat opinions on the matter. As a loyal K. Rool main, I and a lot of other K. Rool fans hope that Smash doesn't just mark K. Rool's return to gaming and relevance, but more than that as a return to his home series and possibly cameos, a return to being a Nintendo mainstay in their pantheon of notable characters, etc. On the topic of Geno, what to you hope happens when and after he makes it into Smash, and what do you realistically expect to happen? Is there hope among Geno fans that we'll see a SMRPG remake, or a SMRPG2, or perhaps that Geno will be a mainstay among Mario spinoffs or possibly as a cameo in main series Mario games, or is the general consensus that Geno in Smash will essentially be his swan song? That Geno will be recognized as the representative of a truly awesome and legendary JRPG that everyone should play, and will only remain as that? Neither Nintendo of Square having any plans to represent the character, no outside uses for him, just a nod to us in the form of Smash? Now granted, that's not to say being immortalized in Smash is a bummer consolation by any stretch of the imagination, and it would for sure highlight our hard work and dedication, but still, I'm sure none of us would be opposed to having even more Geno outside of Smash. So, what are everyone's thoughts? Would Geno in Smash only mark the beginning of Geno related things to come, or would Geno in Smash be the character's confirmation as a gaming legend, but there isn't any immediate or forseeable mileage for the character (not unlike other Smash characters like Duck Hunt, Young Link, Ness/Lucas, etc.)?

D

Deleted member

Whoa, sorry I've been gone for awhile, there's been quite a few pages since I've last posted, huh?

Anyways, here's something I was thinking about the other day. This has sort of been discussed here before under various topic starters, but I'd be interested in hearing everybody's flat opinions on the matter. As a loyal K. Rool main, I and a lot of other K. Rool fans hope that Smash doesn't just mark K. Rool's return to gaming and relevance, but more than that as a return to his home series and possibly cameos, a return to being a Nintendo mainstay in their pantheon of notable characters, etc. On the topic of Geno, what to you hope happens when and after he makes it into Smash, and what do you realistically expect to happen? Is there hope among Geno fans that we'll see a SMRPG remake, or a SMRPG2, or perhaps that Geno will be a mainstay among Mario spinoffs or possibly as a cameo in main series Mario games, or is the general consensus that Geno in Smash will essentially be his swan song? That Geno will be recognized as the representative of a truly awesome and legendary JRPG that everyone should play, and will only remain as that? Neither Nintendo of Square having any plans to represent the character, no outside uses for him, just a nod to us in the form of Smash? Now granted, that's not to say being immortalized in Smash is a bummer consolation by any stretch of the imagination, and it would for sure highlight our hard work and dedication, but still, I'm sure none of us would be opposed to having even more Geno outside of Smash. So, what are everyone's thoughts? Would Geno in Smash only mark the beginning of Geno related things to come, or would Geno in Smash be the character's confirmation as a gaming legend, but there isn't any immediate or forseeable mileage for the character (not unlike other Smash characters like Duck Hunt, Young Link, Ness/Lucas, etc.)?
We are actually campaigning for SMRPG to be revived, for Geno and Mallow to return to the mainline Mario universe, and for Geno to be in Smash. We are mainly focusing on SMRPG being revived and Geno and Mallow coming in to the mainline Mario universe. https://smashboards.com/threads/operation-starfall-bringing-life-to-smrpg-again.467163/

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I am really happy about the article.

Not so happy about the comments.
Someone in the comment area did point accurately that the website is European based, which makes sense why they wouldn't be excited for the characters. Europeans got Mario RPG so late.

Oh yeah I know, I want 60% of old school ninja gaiden and 40% modern ninja gaiden for the combo setups. Dont get me wrong, i love both versions, but I love the NES more (nostalgia)

the hero we didnt deserve jk (FlightOfTheNav). This is located in the comment area of nintendo life
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...mario_rpgs_geno_and_mallow_in_online_petition

CharlieSmile
@Harmonie because it's a bunch of fans with too much time on their hands going "we know what to do with your intellectual property better than you do."
and it's atrocious behavior.

FlightOfTheNav
Funny that everyone targets the third point, if they ever remake SMRPG they’d put Geno in smash as an advertisement. The main goal is to hopefully get a remake of SMRPG. I get you might not like him, but calling the fans bratty is literally childish behavior.

CharlieSmile
@FlightOfTheNav you know what's really childish? spending (clearly excessive) free time throwing a hissy fit, demanding a company caters to your niche desires.

FlightOfTheNav
@CharlieSmile you know what’s really childish? Spending clearly excessive free time getting mad at people hoping for something. I feel you don’t like what they’re doing, just ignore em.
I'm just now reading some of these comments on Nintendo Life and they're making me laugh my ass off.
Also, someone has the name 'Mallow' in one of the comments. xD

FightOfTheNav is not just a hero, they're the MVP. I just caught up to that comment and Nav really put that hater in her place. If you hate it, just move on. It's that simple.

Al_Godoy is also another hero and MVP, here's what they said:
"So many people acting so offended by this petition. What the hell do you care? The funny thing is that you guys accuse the petitioners for being entitled, without realizing that it is you who are acting with entitlement. As if you were the definitive judges of what deserves or not to be remade, rebooted or put in Smash.

If you don't like this petition, because you would rather have some other character instead, then fight for it and start your own petition, but shutting down others just because your taste is different makes you an ass."

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, okay.

When the "brave" data was originally posted, I thought it was definitely referring to Eddy, or a different DQ character, because of how the user who posted the link to the data worded it.

I think Eddy is really likely now, though. I would say brave is either referring to him or Lloyd. I don't think Yuri is it. Lloyd got a Mii costume in Smash 4 instead of him, and Sakurai considers Lloyd the definitive Tales rep.

Even if Eddy is in, I will be happy for a friend of mine who wanted him, and it doesn't mean Geno is out. Geno is a Mario character, after all
Also, I think Smash will be the one surefire thing to benefit DQ in the long run. Right now, in this very board, there are people that decided to get into the games after hearing of Eddy's imminent arrival. That's the power of Smash's brand awareness.

The Smash Effect is a beautiful thing.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I am really happy about the article.

Not so happy about the comments.
The irony, of course, is that most of the newcomers in this game were regularly **** on by these same people until they got in. Ridley and Daisy had nearly 20 years of ridicule, honestly, and regularly called the worst fanbases in the Smash fandom. K. Rool was also "niche" and people were "entitled" for wanting the character to return. Inceniroar was a "****mon." Dark Samus was "irrelevant." Chrom was defined as "boring" by Sakurai himself. Isabelle fighting would have been "out of character." WTF still even really knows who Richter is outside of Castlevania fans and you'd be jerking off in oncoming traffic crazy if you suggest that a ton of people wanted Simon, Joker, and especially Ken. That pretty just leaves Inkling who was universally liked and wanted of all the newcomers so far. I complain about how cynical the Smash fanbase has become but the casual fanbase is ironically even worse. Pretty much you're an idiot and a piss baby for supporting anyone until they they're actually confirmed.

I do not understand why this leak has gained so much traction
Because it's "logical" and that's largely it. Nevermind pretty much all the characters are "eh" but to hardcore fans of the franchises they come from (Joker largely just excited Persona fans, etc). Smash 4's DLC wasn't like this at all. Aside from Corrin, all the characters were either immediately recognizable to virtually everyone, heavily wanted, or both. Not to say it's impossible but it's the exact opposite approach and most characters are being added for their franchises merits above all else.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Interesting article that sums up what I'm feeling about the "leak"...
https://screenrant.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-characters-good-bad/
Kind of surprised "crying Geno" isn't a meme at this point. People were even making it in the Brawl days. As for the article, yeah. Erdrick is a big victory... For Dragon Quest fans. Same with Ryu and Ninja Gaiden. Pretty much Steve is the only one with a decent amount of overlap with Smash and that's on the casual side for Smash fans (meanwhile the dedicated fanbase largely hates him). Cloud and Bayonetta were big for their respective fanbases and Smash, same for all the returning veterans. Ryu was the only one that was largely added because of his franchise and even then just anyone who plays video games knows who Ryu and what Street Fighter is.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Kind of surprised "crying Geno" isn't a meme at this point. People were even making it in the Brawl days. As for the article, yeah. Erdrick is a big victory... For Dragon Quest fans. Same with Ryu and Ninja Gaiden. Pretty much Steve is the only one with a decent amount of overlap with Smash and that's on the casual side for Smash fans (meanwhile the dedicated fanbase largely hates him). Cloud and Bayonetta were big for their respective fanbases and Smash, same for all the returning veterans. Ryu was the only one that was largely added because of his franchise and even then just anyone who plays video games knows who Ryu and what Street Fighter is.
I mean, honestly, who wouldn't know who Ryu from Streets is? :drflip:

D

Deleted member

The irony, of course, is that most of the newcomers in this game were regularly **** on by these same people until they got in. Ridley and Daisy had nearly 20 years of ridicule, honestly, and regularly called the worst fanbases in the Smash fandom. K. Rool was also "niche" and people were "entitled" for wanting the character to return. Inceniroar was a "****mon." Dark Samus was "irrelevant." Chrom was defined as "boring" by Sakurai himself. Isabelle fighting would have been "out of character." WTF still even really knows who Richter is outside of Castlevania fans and you'd be jerking off in oncoming traffic crazy if you suggest that a ton of people wanted Simon, Joker, and especially Ken. That pretty just leaves Inkling who was universally liked and wanted of all the newcomers so far. I complain about how cynical the Smash fanbase has become but the casual fanbase is ironically even worse. Pretty much you're an idiot and a piss baby for supporting anyone until they they're actually confirmed.

Because it's "logical" and that's largely it. Nevermind pretty much all the characters are "eh" but to hardcore fans of the franchises they come from (Joker largely just excited Persona fans, etc). Smash 4's DLC wasn't like this at all. Aside from Corrin, all the characters were either immediately recognizable to virtually everyone, heavily wanted, or both. Not to say it's impossible but it's the exact opposite approach and most characters are being added for their franchises merits above all else.
These are both pretty accurate descriptions. Just proves that patience is key. I do strongly believe that we will get Geno as a playable character in Ultimate.

And now Smash fans say a character who has been wanted for decades from a lovable game who even the creator of Smash wants does not make sense or doesn't deserve to be in....but they eat up this leak!???

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
On paper the list is actually pretty good. You get a bunch of iconic characters in their own right in your game. But in actuality, it looks like they are just checking off boxes on a list.
Mainstream jrpg? Joker
Niche jrpg? Erdrick
Worldwide character? Steve
Bringing back an old character? Ryu
Hardcore west? Doom guy.

Seems too by the numbers and safe, while not catering to the smash fanbase as a whole, outside of joker.

D

Deleted member

On paper the list is actually pretty good. You get a bunch of iconic characters in their own right in your game. But in actuality, it looks like they are just checking off boxes on a list.
Mainstream jrpg? Joker
Niche jrpg? Erdrick
Hardcore west? Doom guy.

Seems too by the numbers and safe, while not catering to the smash fanbase as a whole, outside of joker.
Hey, have you come to this thread yet? https://smashboards.com/threads/operation-starfall-bringing-life-to-smrpg-again.467163/

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Mainstream jrpg? Joker
Niche jrpg? Erdrick
Hardcore west? Doom guy.

I feel like you’re being way too reductive of Dragon Quest and Ninja Gaiden. We’ve been over Dragon Quest countless times, but it’s definitely not a niche JRPG. Hardcore East at least would be a better comment.

And Ninja Gaiden has had a nice modern revival and Ryu specifically has continued to be a part of Dead or Alive too. It’s not like they’d be digging him up specifically.

I don’t know, those two in particular have felt like the final big NES franchises missing from Smash, so they just make a lot of sense in terms of completing the NES era of third parties.

Then we can move on to SNES! And a certain puppet belongs to that era haha.

D

Deleted member

I feel like you’re being way too reductive of Dragon Quest and Ninja Gaiden. We’ve been over Dragon Quest countless times, but it’s definitely not a niche JRPG. Hardcore East at least would be a better comment.

And Ninja Gaiden has had a nice modern revival and Ryu specifically has continued to be a part of Dead or Alive too. It’s not like they’d be digging him up specifically.

I don’t know, those two in particular have felt like the final big NES franchises missing from Smash, so they just make a lot of sense in terms of completing the NES era of third parties.

Then we can move on to SNES! And a certain puppet belongs to that era haha.
Puppet and redhead Goku with katana are 2 other good reps from the SNES era

I think you know which NES character I want too :D

Last edited by a moderator:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Puppet and redhead Goku with katana are 2 other good reps from the SNES era

I think you know which NES character I want too :D
I’m very aware haha. I still don’t entirely understand why (again, feel free to message me if you want on that topic), but more power to you.

But I think it’s pretty undeniable that Mother really became a much bigger thing and is associated with the SNES much more as a franchise.

The games I listed were those that are primarily associated beginnings wise (lol) with the NES.

Also, there are some great Sega characters from that era I wish we could get... i kind of wish Nintendo just outright owned Sega and their IPs, maybe we’d get to see something done with the greats they’ve forgotten.

D

Deleted member

I’m very aware haha. I still don’t entirely understand why (again, feel free to message me if you want on that topic), but more power to you.

But I think it’s pretty undeniable that Mother really became a much bigger thing and is associated with the SNES much more as a franchise.

The games I listed were those that are primarily associated beginnings wise (lol) with the NES.

Also, there are some great Sega characters from that era I wish we could get... i kind of wish Nintendo just outright owned Sega and their IPs, maybe we’d get to see something done with the greats they’ve forgotten.
Yeah, Mother did become more popular with the SNES. Imo Mother 1 is a very underrated game though. I love it and I want Ninten in Smash.

What Sega characters specifically?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Once again, gonna have to disagree.

If something is heavily revered in one culture but mostly unknown or ignored by the majority of other cultures, it would be niche in any other culture but that one. Therefore, DQ is mainstream in Japan, but niche everywhere else.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

If something is heavily revered in one culture but mostly unknown or ignored by the majority of other cultures, it would be niche in any other culture but that one. Therefore, DQ is mainstream in Japan, but niche everywhere else.
They were referring specifically to that person’s standards. If Doom isn’t niche then neither is Dragon Quest.

D

Deleted member

They were referring specifically to that person’s standards. If Doom isn’t niche then neither is Dragon Quest.
How would you feel if there were 2 characters revealed in a Smash direct and they were Doom Guy and Steve

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
How would you feel if there were 2 characters revealed in a Smash direct and they were Doom Guy and Steve
My first reaction would be to dislike the Direct video and tell all my friends to do so as well. Then I would probably hunt down all the different language versions of the Steve trailer and dislike those as well, and then I would ask the mods if I could make a thread on this site to organize a boycott.

As for Doomguy, depends on the reveal, moveset, and how much they lean into the original Doom for inspiration (not a fan of nu Doom), but generally speaking Doomguy is a pretty uninspired pick for me.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I wouldn't mind Steve. He's from a game everyone's heard of and I really think he can bring a lot to the table. People are so quick to say he has a sword like Link, but it doesn't take much to know that not all sword users fight the same, no less sword users from two practically incomparable series.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

If Dragon Quest is niche then every series in Smash other than Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Sonic, and Cloud are niche.

I get what you are saying but its the idea that a series that has outsold "icons" like Halo, Donkey Kong, Crash, or even our very own Smash Bros is being considered niche is just not giving it enough credit.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

If Dragon Quest is niche then every series in Smash other than Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Sonic, and Cloud are niche.

I get what you are saying but its the idea that a series that has outsold "icons" like Halo, Donkey Kong, Crash, or even our very own Smash Bros is being considered niche is just not giving it enough credit.
I think when people call it ''niche" they refer to the fact a major of it's megawatt sales reside in its homeland alone. Something can be successful and considered an icon but still be niche.

Dragon Quest is a relatively small fanbase in the West. An ''Erdrick" to a lot of people here is just gonna be a noise that a Cat makes when it's coughing up a hairball, not a huge icon of Japanese RPGs.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
An ''Erdrick" to a lot of people here is just gonna be a noise that a Cat makes when it's coughing up a hairball, not a huge icon of Japanese RPGs.
I have a cat and that is exactly the sound that he makes.

Nothing real to contribute to the argument, just leaving that information out there for your perusal.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I have a cat and that is exactly the sound that he makes.

Nothing real to contribute to the argument, just leaving that information out there for your perusal.
My doggo has digestion problems and he makes a strikingly similar noise as well.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think when people call it ''niche" they refer to the fact a major of it's megawatt sales reside in its homeland alone. Something can be successful and considered an icon but still be niche.

Dragon Quest is a relatively small fanbase in the West. An ''Erdrick" to a lot of people here is just gonna be a noise that a Cat makes when it's coughing up a hairball, not a huge icon of Japanese RPGs.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/27/heres-how-much-dragon-quest-ix-sold-overseas/

I mean DQIX got over a million sales outside of Japan alone so its not like its some unknown series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>humoring the fake leak
>again
This is like the Grinch leak again, isn't it. Hope this won't result in a Team Real/Fake/Hmm/whatever divide again...

Anyway it doesn't matter how niche an IP is before it gets into Smash, Smash is big enough in terms of publicity that it'll more or less make them non-niche (except for retro NES games, those are special cases).

I mean, just look at Fire Emblem, you'd have a hard time finding Western fans of the series before Melee happened. Even with Persona, it's getting more attention now, with its most popular entry's hero having made it in.

Also, body reactions? Did I accidentally go into the general?

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/27/heres-how-much-dragon-quest-ix-sold-overseas/

I mean DQIX got over a million sales outside of Japan alone so its not like its some unknown series.
No one is aying it's unknown. Niche does not mean unknown and people need to stop thinking it does. Niche means that it is relatively small but it's popular enough that a chunk of people would know it, but not everyone.

This is where Dragon Quest is in the west and if anything, the fact later installments are more successful than earlier installments might actually HURT Erdrick in recognition as a face of the series and not just a name that has a legacy.

I mean other characters like Bayonetta and Joker have million dollar sales, but there's still large sum of people who will not know who they are, doesn't negate the fact they are popular and have a loyal if small fanbase though.

That's where Dragon Quest is in the West. In the East? Some series wish they could achieve it's sale numbers and that's been the problem we've all tried to bring up as detractors or counter arguments to is Dragon Quest ready for Smash. Should a series get into Smash if a majority of it's success is one part of the world alone? Even if said series is a massive icon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No one is aying it's unknown. Niche does not mean unknown and people need to stop thinking it does. Niche means that it is relatively small but it's popular enough that a chunk of people would know it, but not everyone.

This is where Dragon Quest is in the west and if anything, the fact later installments are more successful than earlier installments might actually HURT Erdrick in recognition as a face of the series and not just a name that has a legacy.

I mean other characters like Bayonetta and Joker have million dollar sales, but there's still large sum of people who will not know who they are, doesn't negate the fact they are popular and have a loyal if small fanbase though.

That's where Dragon Quest is in the West. In the East? Some series wish they could achieve it's sale numbers and that's been the problem we've all tried to bring up as detractors or counter arguments to is Dragon Quest ready for Smash. Should a series get into Smash if a major of it's success is one part of the world alone? Even if said series is a massive icon.
These are good points. I am thinking that since DQ is a lot more popular in Japan, Smash could introduce it to the west. They have tried to introduce it to the west before, but maybe Smash could do it.

This would be good for Geno too, if he gets into Smash. He is very popular in the Smash community, but actually getting into Smash as a playable character would make him a lot more well known to the casual audience. Reviving him, Mallow, and SMRPG in general as well as introducing it to the casual audience is the goal of our campaign, Operation Starfall, after all

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

That's where Dragon Quest is in the West. In the East? Some series wish they could achieve it's sale numbers and that's been the problem we've all tried to bring up as detractors or counter arguments to is Dragon Quest ready for Smash. Should a series get into Smash if a major of it's success is one part of the world alone? Even if said series is a massive icon.
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/4439/super-mario-rpg-legend-of-the-seven-stars/

I mean by any definition that Dragon Quest is niche due to sales Super Mario RPG fits into that same boat with most of its sales being in Japan, and it didn't even sell a million in the west. I don't say this to dump on Geno just to say that any argument that Dragon Quest shouldn't get into Smash because of sales in the west would also disqualify Geno.

D

Deleted member

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/4439/super-mario-rpg-legend-of-the-seven-stars/

I mean by any definition that Dragon Quest is niche due to sales Super Mario RPG fits into that same boat with most of its sales being in Japan, and it didn't even sell a million in the west. I don't say this to dump on Geno just to say that any argument that Dragon Quest shouldn't get into Smash because of sales in the west would also disqualify Geno.
Geno does have the fan demand, though.

I agree that DQ being very popular in Japan than other regions doesn't mean it can't be in Smash, but if it did, I wouldn't say that Geno is disqualified as well, due to the amount of fan demand he has received to be in Smash

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Geno does have the fan demand, though.

I agree that DQ being very popular in Japan than other regions doesn't mean it can't be in Smash, but if it did, I wouldn't say that Geno is disqualified as well, due to the amount of fan demand he has received to be in Smash
that's all well and good but that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the people who say Dragon Quest shouldn't get in because it didn't sell in the west when it's sold better than Super Mario RPG did in the west. If you're going to argue that Geno should get in over Erdrick don't use a point that Geno actually loses at.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Smash is a unique beast. When it comes to characters, or series in that matter, niche, "relevant," major hits, "icons," etc. does not really matter in the Smash equation. Were Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch gaming icons that brought them into Melee? Pit in Brawl? Duck Hunt in Smash 4? Yet, they are in Smash. (specifically the base game).

So now, specifically, here comes NINTENDO'S choice for DLC characters. Pirhana plant doesn't count since he was obviously planned for the base game but ran out of time .... but the 5 were chosen by Nintendo. It does concern me, again personally, if the "leak" of the other characters turns out to be true that the choices overall do not reflect on who/what the Smash community has been calling for such a loooooong time.

Sakurai on his part did listen (Ridley, Dark Samus, Chrom, King K. Rool, Daisy, etc.). I wanted to add this point. Anyway....

For fans of the DLC characters based on their games/series, cheers to you. It is a bit of a bummer for a good chunk of the community where their voices that have reached Nintendo via the ballot, tweets, polls etc .... but chooses other characters with little to no demand.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

that's all well and good but that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the people who say Dragon Quest shouldn't get in because it didn't sell in the west when it's sold better than Super Mario RPG did in the west. If you're going to argue that Geno should get in over Erdrick don't use a point that Geno actually loses at.
Again, I don't think not selling as much in the west as it did in Japan means that DQ can't be in Smash.

If it did, however, it wouldn't matter for a character like Geno because of his fan demand. Sometimes, the fan demand is enough to get a character into Smash, no matter how well known they are, as we have seen with Lucas, Roy, and Bayonetta. They are characters who aren't super well known, but the amount of fan demand was enough to get them into Smash. So even if Super Mario RPG didn't sell as much in the west as it did in Japan, it wouldn't matter due to how many people want Geno in Smash. DQ doesn't have this fan demand. I don't think it would stop it from getting into Smash, though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom