• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Loving all these fan rules, AKA "I feel that X means Y..." statements. Opinions are great, but not when using them to push down other's opinions. It's like.... pot meet kettle.

1. If a mii costume isn't DLC, doesn't deconfirm.
2. If a mii costume is announced before the playable version, deconfirms.
3. These rules apply to 3rd party mii costumes, even though they were all excluded.
4. Two fighters from same 3rd party company can't happen.
5. Hypothetical 2nd wave of DLC has better chances because reasons.

link2702

Smash Champion
This would also shut us up about Geno, because SMRPG came out in 1996.

Also, is there anything about Lloyd that fits the word Brave? What about the supposed stats of the 'Brave' character, would it make sense around Lloyd or Yuri?
About that “brave” code name because I forgot to respond the other day...

I know this sounds very tinfoil hat, maybe even desperate, but what if these code names are deliberately misleading to confuse people? With the only ones with real names being those we already know of like joker and pp? After all this datamine happend well after jokers reveal.

After seeing the inevitable leaks that happened on the base game, as well as the past games revealing ryu and roy, what if Nintendo has realized that people are gonna inevitably datamine and leak stuff, so if they have to put placeholders in like names, give them ones that throw people off the actual characters? After all, jokers reveal itself surprised everyone as no one expected it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Loving all these fan rules, AKA "I feel that X means Y..." statements. Opinions are great, but not when using them to push down other's opinions. It's like.... pot meet kettle.

1. If a mii costume isn't DLC, doesn't deconfirm.
2. If a mii costume is announced before the playable version, deconfirms.
3. These rules apply to 3rd party mii costumes, even though they were all excluded.
4. Two fighters from same 3rd party company can't happen.
5. Hypothetical 2nd wave of DLC has better chances because reasons.
Ah yes, that fourth one...You know the saying "those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it"? It's like most Smash fans forgot that "rule" was already broken before. :ultmegaman::ultryu:

Though number 5 is the benefit of the doubt, since nobody knows whether the pass is just it as far as DLC's concerned, but there's still no way of knowing how they'd approach that anyways.

I know this sounds very tinfoil hat, maybe even desperate, but what if these code names are deliberately misleading to confuse people? With the only ones with real names being those we already know of like joker and pp? After all this datamine happend well after jokers reveal.

After seeing the inevitable leaks that happened on the base game, as well as the past games revealing ryu and roy, what if Nintendo has realized that people are gonna inevitably datamine and leak stuff, so if they have to put placeholders in like names, give them ones that throw people off the actual characters? After all, jokers reveal itself surprised everyone as no one expected it.
I think that's the intent, yes. Nobody will be surprised if people know who's coming (especially after the shenanigans that happened before Ultimate came out), so the best thing to do is to use vague terms known only to the staff. The fake leakers that relied on their own dumb puzzles to confuse people for e-peen are having a taste of their own medicine now.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
If Erdrick, who is a pretty old character (DQ3 came out in 1988) gets in, that means those people who believe every character would be a character from more recent years would shut up about the whole thing. That way there wouldn't be anymore people who believe that.
Errrrr. Technically Erdrick has had things pertaining directly to him in other games, even the most recent DQ game which has technically kept him more fresh in people's minds.

Probably helps that his game has been remade no less than twice, and re-released even on mobile enough reaches a massive audience, to be fair.

That said, I don't think the issue people bring up has to do with being too old, but rather being remembered.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Errrrr. Technically Erdrick has had things pertaining directly to him in other games, even the most recent DQ game which has technically kept him more fresh in people's minds.

Probably helps that his game has been remade no less than twice, and re-released even on mobile enough reaches a massive audience, to be fair.

That said, I don't think the issue people bring up has to do with being too old, but rather being remembered.
Adding to that, heroes in the series generally don't return in any spin-offs or crossovers (outside of Monster Battle Road), while the secondary party members from IV onwards do, not to mention many familiar monsters. Which is why you're likelier to see someone support Slime or Jess, among others.

Hell, even Eddy's OWN NEMESES got to do noteworthy reappearances.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Hey all- Awesome Games Done Quick just started, and SMRPG is one of the games in the schedule. There's a really cool t-shirt they're selling to get proceeds for charity, too. If you want a t-shirt with Geno on it, I'd highly reccomend going for it. :>

GDQ website

Link to the shirt itself

D

Deleted member

Hey all- Awesome Games Done Quick just started, and SMRPG is one of the games in the schedule. There's a really cool t-shirt they're selling to get proceeds for charity, too. If you want a t-shirt with Geno on it, I'd highly reccomend going for it. :>

GDQ website

Link to the shirt itself
Post this in the Operation Starfall thread too!

Edit: Oh wait this has already been poster there, nvm

Last edited by a moderator:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

GDQ website

Link to the shirt itself
Man! I just got the Geno Blast shirt. I wish they were offering this as a Poster or something. I would have for sure gotten it!

D

Deleted member

This would also shut us up about Geno, because SMRPG came out in 1996.

Also, is there anything about Lloyd that fits the word Brave? What about the supposed stats of the 'Brave' character, would it make sense around Lloyd or Yuri?
I meant them shutting up about every character being a newer character but alright.

I'm not sure about that, I haven't played the Tales games. From what I heard about Yuri, I think he's from a group that has the word Brave in it.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

I really want that to be the intent to totally mess with people, including every website publishing "entire DLC roster may have been leaked for Smash Bros Ultimate" or whatever.

That being said, considering Nintendo didn't care enough to prevent the box theory from coming to existence, I wonder...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really want that to be the intent to totally mess with people, including every website publishing "entire DLC roster may have been leaked for Smash Bros Ultimate" or whatever.

That being said, considering Nintendo didn't care enough to prevent the box theory from coming to existence, I wonder...
I think moreso that Bamco realised how much marketing and leak-proofing was a mess for the base game, and stepped in to tell Ninty how to throw off leakers, while suitably preparing the DLC fighters.

That said, this codename business should throw the fakers for a loop. They deserve that, after wrapping us around their fingers for a bit.

george-costanza-popcorn.gif

Last edited:

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190

GDQ website

Link to the shirt itself
I'm definitely getting multiple of that and the "Pile Up 2019" shirt that features all sorts of video game characters, but also has Geno front and center.

https://theyetee.com/collections/agdq/products/pile-up-1

It's so frustrating that a character like Geno, who's constantly under fire for being "irrelevant" and under utilized, is being featured so prominently in promotional artwork like the Games Done Quick charity and the Silvagunner King for a Day album. Albeit fanworks, it's reaching a point where the public has single-handedly revitalized and kept alive an IP with so much potential and goodwill that its owner hasn't capitalized on to where it's looking like fully intentional withholding and spite towards Super Mario RPG. There HAS to be some sort of personal grudge at Square, this kind of missed opportunity from a large corporation boggles my mind.

D

Deleted member

I'm definitely getting multiple of that and the "Pile Up 2019" shirt that features all sorts of video game characters, but also has Geno front and center.

It's so frustrating that a character like Geno, who's constantly under fire for being "irrelevant" and under utilized, is being featured so prominently in promotional artwork like the Games Done Quick charity and the Silvagunner King for a Day album. Albeit fanworks, it's reaching a point where the public has single-handedly revitalized and kept alive an IP with so much potential and goodwill that its owner hasn't capitalized on to where it's looking like fully intentional withholding and spite towards Super Mario RPG. There HAS to be some sort of personal grudge at Square, this kind of missed opportunity from a large corporation boggles my mind.
LC, come to the Operation Starfall thread! https://smashboards.com/threads/operation-starfall-bringing-life-to-smrpg-again.467163/

Ovaltine

Smash Master

I doubt it's a grudge. If I may be frank, it's likely Square's general mishandling of... most anything in general. Look how long it took for them to remake FF7, and we still don't even know the status of that thing. That was such a huge fan-requested thing that took so long for the fans to get realized (and even then, it isn't here yet). Asking anything of Square is like pulling teeth. It's not a grudge problem; it's a Square Enix problem.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Don't know what it is with my Switch, but I'm not playing Ultimate for a while. I lost over 2 million gsp today just because my joycons kept disconnecting, charging attacks even when I don't press anything, randomly making the A button useless, and jumping and attacking for no reason. I've noticed this is going on with literally every single game I have, so I wondered if this was happening to any of you. It definitely detracts from my enjoyment, and can really be a nuisance. It scrolls rapidly through menu items and doesn't let me select things; it's not even fun anymore.

MattX20

Smash Hero
After doing a bit of research, the thing about Erdrick may still very well be leakbait. Recall that the term brave is not exclusive to DQ. Brave Vesperia from the Tales series comes to mind, so it might be a hint towards Yuri or the more Smash centric one already given a Mii Fighter costume, Lloyd.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After doing a bit of research, the thing about Erdrick may still very well be leakbait. Recall that the term brave is not exclusive to DQ. Brave Vesperia from the Tales series comes to mind, so it might be a hint towards Yuri or the more Smash centric one already given a Mii Fighter costume, Lloyd.
Yeah, I mean Brave could really mean anything. It could mean Erdrick, or Yuri, or even....
Meredith from Disney's Brave

D

Deleted member

PolarPanda also gave specifics about the "brave" character in the Square thread, and the three most notable things for me is that the character is either the heaviest mid-weight or the lightest heavyweight, the character is about as tall as Joker or Cloud, and the character does not have a rapid jab. I'm thinking it is either Eddy or Lloyd. Not really banking on Yuri, considering that Lloyd got a Mii costume in Smash 4 instead of him, and Sakurai considers Lloyd the definitive Tales rep

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Erdrick and Lloyd being Joker's height is definitely weird. Neither of them even look his height, and even comparing them to Cloud is a bit much imo. However, if it were being compared to Cloud, than I'd have to say Lloyd is the "brave" guy. Eddy will never as tall as either of them, kid or adult.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Do you guy's think support for more dormant IP's and obscure characters will go up due to spirits? In terms of next smash I mean.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Do you guy's think support for more dormant IP's and obscure characters will go up due to spirits? In terms of next smash I mean.
Not particularly. I'm assuming very casual players brush off their names and instead focus on their use in battle, whereas more geeky players (like myself) already know who most of the spirits are.

D

Deleted member

Not particularly. I'm assuming very casual players brush off their names and instead focus on their use in battle, whereas more geeky players (like myself) already know who most of the spirits are.
I didn't know who Ryota Hayami was before I saw his spirit, but I will support him for the next smash!

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
If online is anything to go by, many only care about the good characters. Regardless, I am hoping for some more retro and obscure picks next time myself. Gamefaq's is rallying around the idea of an entire 3rd party dlc pass though, so I think I am in a minority here.

D

Deleted member

If online is anything to go by, many only care about the good characters. Regardless, I am hoping for some more retro and obscure picks next time myself. Gamefaq's is rallying around the idea of an entire 3rd party dlc pass though, so I think I am in a minority here.
And I am in the same minority as you are :D

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
TBH I'm seeing a lot of character's I never knew about, even being someone who has hung around this board quite a bit. I'm wondering if we'll get things like "Magical Vacation" support thread's or "Heracles from Glory of Heracles" support thread's by the time Smash 6 comes around.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I didn't know who Ryota Hayami was before I saw his spirit, but I will support him for the next smash!
Imo there's only so much you can do with someone who only rides a jetski in their game. I think he'd be way better suited as an assist. Too little moveset potential but the franchise has had 3 games and definitely deserves more than just spirits by now, only held back by a lack of moveset potential. You could argue they made up Captain Falcon's moveset (we've never even seen what he looked like before Smash 64), but F-Zero had more than twice the amount of games as Wave Race and arguably three times the amount of fanservice. Disregarding Smash entirely, I'd much rather see a revival of the Wave Race series with overhauled graphics and different game modes.

Again, just my two cents on the subject.

D

Deleted member

TBH I'm seeing a lot of character's I never knew about, even being someone who has hung around this board quite a bit. I'm wondering if we'll get things like "Magical Vacation" support thread's or "Heracles from Glory of Heracles" support thread's by the time Smash 6 comes around.
Yakuman support thread!!!!

Tetrin Tetrin Oh I know, I was kidding lol

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Oh lol nvm then :p

But on the subject of retro series, which ones do you feel deserve a rep?

Actually, just extend the question to any Nintendo series lol.

For me:
F-Zero deserves an echo. It had 8 games and was decently popular. We've never seen the characters, so that's the only thing holding it back from a full-fledged second rep imo.
Advance Wars. Preferably Andy. Don't even know why they killed off the series.
Golden Sun. See game above. Isaac for Smash.
Sin and Punishment. Definitely more obscure than the others, but had two games in a genre Nintendo wasn't quite used to. I think it should get either Saki or Isa.
Chibi Robo. It had 5 games and still no rep. Unfair if you ask me.
Mysterious Murasame Castle. Not so much deserving, just Takamaru would be a cool inclusion. Katana fighters in general would be like faster and more versatile sword fighters.
Rhythm Heaven. Outrageous they haven't been given someone Chorus Kids, Marshal, or Karate Joe better be in the next game.
ARMS. Sold 2 million units on its first game, which isn't so common for new IPs by Nintendo anymore. Admittedly, Spring Man is not brimming with moveset potential, it'd still be cool to improvise in this case.
Daemon X Machina. Only partially owned by Nintendo, but I think it shows a lot of promise. Hopefully gets a rep (and a sequel).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For me:
F-Zero deserves an echo. It had 8 games and was decently popular. We've never seen the characters, so that's the only thing holding it back from a full-fledged second rep imo.
Sin and Punishment. Definitely more obscure than the others, but had two games in a genre Nintendo wasn't quite used to. I think it should get either Saki or Isa.
Mysterious Murasame Castle. Not so much deserving, just Takamaru would be a cool inclusion. Katana fighters in general would be like faster and more versatile sword fighters.
Rhythm Heaven. Outrageous they haven't been given someone Chorus Kids, Marshal, or Karate Joe better be in the next game.
ARMS. Sold 2 million units and although I can't say Spring Man has too much moveset potential, it'd still be cool to improvise in this case.
Daemon X Machina. Only partially owned by Nintendo, but I think it shows a lot of promise. Hopefully gets a rep (and a sequel).
Would Mother count as a retro series?

If yes then you know my answer :D

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

For me:
ARMS. Sold 2 million units and although I can't say Spring Man has too much moveset potential, it'd still be cool to improvise in this case.
Those are pretty good. I'd say Starfy also deserves a fair shake at Smash. Maybe someone like Phoenix Wright or Layton, even though they are third parties. Their loyalty to Nintendo should be commended, nonetheless. I'd say same goes for Shantae.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Would Mother count as a retro series?

If yes then you know my answer :D
It does but I meant series without reps already.

Unless it was a joke again, kinda hard to detect humor and sarcasm online ngl.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Don't know what it is with my Switch, but I'm not playing Ultimate for a while. I lost over 2 million gsp today just because my joycons kept disconnecting, charging attacks even when I don't press anything, randomly making the A button useless, and jumping and attacking for no reason. I've noticed this is going on with literally every single game I have, so I wondered if this was happening to any of you. It definitely detracts from my enjoyment, and can really be a nuisance. It scrolls rapidly through menu items and doesn't let me select things; it's not even fun anymore.
Something similar’s been happening to me, I think it’s just that Joycons are hella cheap material.

I hope support goes up (it’s pretty lonely supporting obscure Nintendo characters), but at the same time I’m expecting weird obscure characters less and less. Sakurai seems to be past that stuff now.

You should play Magical Vacation if you can. The retro Heracles games are also pretty good, the recent Nintendo one... not so much.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Oh I forgot Boxboy. Pretty interesting series, though only available on e-shop. Do you guys think Qbby would even be a good addition?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Height arguments are silly when most characters here aren't up to the scale they are in their home series anyway.

For me:
ARMS. Sold 2 million units on its first game, which isn't so common for new IPs by Nintendo anymore. Admittedly, Spring Man is not brimming with moveset potential, it'd still be cool to improvise in this case.
If there is one series I truly can say with certainty deserves to be in here. Not really a series, but...

Pro Wrestling.

You got a well-made wrestling game for a console that didn't have much good wrestling games, has a memorable meme, can provide another grappler (one with no frills), and is known worldwide. Plus if you haven't noticed, it doesn't even have any spirits.

In regards to ARMS, it's pouring with options since there's no true protagonist anyways.

I hope support goes up (it’s pretty lonely supporting obscure Nintendo characters), but at the same time I’m expecting weird obscure characters less and less. Sakurai seems to be past that stuff now.
At least until they run dry out of options, anyway. Filling that void with third parties would rack up expenses pretty fast.

Besides, how on Earth will they get weird-looking characters to balance things out visually otherwise? They couldn't just keep including Mario enemies in here if you want to keep up the "surprise" factor.

YES!

Maybe then people will vote less for DB Goku and more for Yuyuki Goku.

Last edited:

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman

For me:

It still baffles me that Rhythm Heaven still hasn't gotten a playable rep at this point. The franchise is still active and we even got a smash run enemy from the series, but it seems like it has always run short of a playable rep in smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It still baffles me that Rhythm Heaven still hasn't gotten a playable rep at this point. The franchise is still active and we even got a smash run enemy from the series, but it seems like it has always run short of a playable rep in smash.
Hello Isaac bro! :)

Yeah RH and GS are the remaining Nintendo franchises that don't have a rep, but need need a rep

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Hello Isaac bro! :)

Yeah RH and GS are the remaining Nintendo franchises that don't have a rep, but need need a rep
My fellow Geno bro! :D

Agreed. Funny enough both series got the most spirits compared to other series without playable reps from what I seen. It may amount to nothing at the end of the day, but it's great to see the representation given and here's hoping it bodes well for them having future playable characters in smash.

-Also on a side note how's the super mario rpg campaign? Have a major exam I'm preparing for in two weeks, but would love to help out as much as I can afterwards alongside with getting Golden Sun revived of course :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom