• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Finished another Geno illustration today! I based it on Rosalina's underside having galaxies within them. It made me think, what if Geno could do that?

... okay, let's be real, it's a moment of Ovaltine coming in with her Edgy Aesthetic™ bull****e, but hey, I had a lot of fun making it! Watercolor style is so fun to work in!
Wow...holy crap!? Do you...do you take requests or commissions or whatever the word is when you pay someone to draw art? This is godlike, reminds me of my cousin...not in art style but in just being able to draw cool stuff.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wow...holy crap!? Do you...do you take requests or commissions or whatever the word is when you pay someone to draw art? This is godlike, reminds me of my cousin...not in art style but in just being able to draw cool stuff.
Aw, gosh, thanks, man! I'm afraid I don't take commissions at this time, but I'd be happy to let you know whenever I open them back up again!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Does sabotaging the competitive scene for the sake of including DQ still seem like a mistake Nintendo would make? I know they aren't always up to date on what people want; but they deliberately set things up to be more competitive friendly this time around, and I have doubts that even Nintendo would make a decision that undoes somthing they just did this year.

On another note; Just realized I need to pay for Online Play today. I've been so busy with other modes I hadn't even checked. Clever *******'s at Nintendo are gonna get me to buy their online service after all.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Does sabotaging the competitive scene for the sake of including DQ still seem like a mistake Nintendo would make? I know they aren't always up to date on what people want; but they deliberately set things up to be more competitive friendly this time around, and I have doubts that even Nintendo would make a decision that undoes somthing they just did this year.

On another note; Just realized I need to pay for Online Play today. I've been so busy with other modes I hadn't even checked. Clever *******'s at Nintendo are gonna get me to buy their online service after all.
Nintendo spoiled the remaining amount of characters through a ****ing box 2 months in advance, you think I trust them not to screw up?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Plus, one mistake causes turmoil in the speculation scene(All though we now know what the box meant with the benefit of hindsight, let's recall that it was never confirmed till we saw the full roster), the other could wreck the game's entire competitive scene. There is a notable difference in long standing impact.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And there's a big difference between the staff making the game and the marketing department. Said marketing department was basically this over absolutely everything, including the website. Including some character genders:

AfgkjCf.jpg

Also, whichever department that decided to ship early copies to a mom and pop store in Mexico. I seriously wonder how they decided to essentially assign trainees to promote the biggest game of the year.

Although the mural commercial was pretty good and is exploitable for memes, so there is that.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sheik's referred to as 'he' on the Smash website.

I... don't think I need to say anything else, really. Hoooo boy.
To be fair though, if Sheik's Palutena's Guidance shows us anything, that may be intentional.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair though, if Sheik's Palutena's Guidance shows anything, that may be intentional.
Yeah, but some things on the website didn't seem intentional. Like Fox's Memories post somehow being the only one to be translated and the rest only being in Korean/Japanese. Or some characters lacking Memories posts for no reason (most glaringly Pit and Palutena), with at least two characters having two posts for the same origin game. Or Mr. Game & Watch being the last fighter post everywhere but Asian territories, which has Mewtwo being the last one instead (though in fairness to that one the Fire sprite incident might have caused this). Or the character list somehow having one name briefly using its Spanish version when they were preparing for a major update.

What I'm saying is, there's a bit of discrepancy between the people directly involved with the game, and those that aren't.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Pretty sure Sheik is only referred to as "he" to avoid spoilers.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
That didn't stop them from calling Sheik a she in every Smash prior to this one. Also Fiora being in Shulk's Final Smash is a huge Xenoblade spoiler but they didn't try to hide that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speaking of potential spoilers, I am at least thankful there isn't a spirit of Smithy for now, seeing as his appearance is supposed to be kept a surprise until the end of the game (the player is supposedly led to assume that Exor is the boss of the Smithy Gang until you reach Bowser's Keep).

Last edited:

Latyon

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post; double posting
Sheik's referred to as 'he' on the Smash website.

I... don't think I need to say anything else, really. Hoooo boy.
It's Shakespearean. Sheik is a male character portrayed by a female actor.

Speaking of potential spoilers, I am at least thankful there isn't a spirit of Smithy for now, seeing as his appearance is supposed to be kept a surprise until the end of the game (the player is supposedly led to assume that Exor is the boss of the Smithy Gang until you reach Bowser's Keep).
Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure the remaining Bowyer arrow literally says "I need to report this to Smithy" after Geno is recruited and the second star is obtained. I think they even refer to themselves as the Smithy Gang long before that moment.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure the remaining Bowyer arrow literally says "I need to report this to Smithy" after Geno is recruited and the second star is obtained. I think they even refer to themselves as the Smithy Gang long before that moment.
I know they're referred to as the Smithy Gang, I'm talking more about how the sword Exor could be assumed to be Smithy himself.

This though is the most hilarious explanation. :laugh: Have a gold star. :starman:

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
If Erdrick is in fact leakbait, do you guys think Geno would be runner-up as most likely?

The only other Square characters I can see getting in are someone from Final Fantasy, Geno, Neku, or someone from Octopath.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If Erdrick is in fact leakbait, do you guys think Geno would be runner-up as most likely?

The only other Square characters I can see getting in are someone from Final Fantasy, Geno, Neku, or someone from Octopath.
Considering Rex was too new and Joker wasn't, I'm not so sure if Octopath would even be able to be on the table. Neku's kind of an... odd one, too. Not so sure if his chances were all that great to begin with, even when counting Final Remix's release.

Honestly, if DQ is leakbait, and the Square rep wasn't big enough for a VGA reveal (a.k.a less huge than Joker), I can really only see it being Geno in terms of the Square list, considering the complications of music with FF right now. DQ being leakbait would also mean Crono probably is, too, by correlation (same companies and all). Outside of the list, there is also Bravely Default and Nier Automata, but I'm not sure how I'd gauge their likelihood, given how unfamiliar I am with both series and their respective popularities.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Also, it's worth noting that Smash stopped spoiling Sheik's identity in Smash 3DS. I always assumed it's because Ocarina of Time 3DS released, and is now a Nintendo Select title.

Perhaps Nintendo considers it a recent, relevant game. Doesn't matter if it released in 2011, it still gets the fancy game covers in game stores. Doesn't surprise me that other games still get spoiled.

That didn't stop them from calling Sheik a she in every Smash prior to this one. Also Fiora being in Shulk's Final Smash is a huge Xenoblade spoiler but they didn't try to hide that.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Considering Rex was too new and Joker wasn't, I'm not so sure if Octopath would even be able to be on the table. Neku's kind of an... odd one, too. Not so sure if his chances were all that great to begin with, even when counting Final Remix's release.
Octopath is getting a sequel afaik, and may potentially become a series. I get it's release was later on in DLC planning, but it was definitely successful. However, translating the characters from 2d to 3d may prove to be an issue.

Neku is definitely odd, but I still think he could be in just because I think Square would hint at an oddball choice to promote their games.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Fun fact: In a television commercial promoting the game in North America, Exor was referred to as "Smithy the Sword", so even the commercial tried to throw the consumers off with Exor being the main antagonist of the game.

Mine was a huge reaction and plot twist after finding out the giant sword was named Exor, not Smithy... I'd also like to know why Exor's mouth is named NEOSQUID; I don't know if the game translator was high or what, but the name for his mouth always got me confused. Also, Chuggaaconroy had the same reaction when he encountered Exor, and he said, "IS THAT SMITHY?" I think Chuggaa plays his let's plays before he records them, but I'm not sure about his SMRPG series from 2008, that could've been his first, second, or third time playing it.

I can't see a Final Fantasy character because the composer is on a hiatus, so a FF character is unlikely. I honestly think Geno would be the next one running if Erdrick is leakbait and if Crono is out. I don't see Sora because KH3 is a competitor to Nintendo, plus the game isn't on the Switch, so I don't see him either. Neku is a little too late because his game came on the Switch back in September, and his game was on the DS, so having Neku would be weird because Nintendo wouldn't be able to promote anything, it's a character not many are asking for, and it's an underrated game; most of the sales come from Japan, so it's in a Dragon Quest situation with having most of the sales in one country instead of worldwide. (The game's sales are under 100k, that's even worse than Color Splash's sales.) A character from Octopath Traveler would be weird, but the DLC may lead to promotion for future games, and Joker is an example of that because there's a rumor going around that Persona 5 R is coming to the Switch. Also, the game was developed by Acquire, so Square will have to split profits with Acquire if they use an Octopath character.

Geno seems like the best decision:
-Not owned by multiple companies, he's 100% Square like Cloud is.
-He's the easiest to achieve because they can already use him.
-Sakurai wants him.
-He's a perfect fan service character that will make the fans happy.
-He will appeal to a lot of Smash players.
-Because Geno is owned by Square, they will get Geno's profits instead of splitting it with multiple companies they collaborate with.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm actually really happy that Sakurai's so happy about Joker being in Smash. It gives a lot of credence to Sakurai still being a big factor in deciding characters even if Nintendo's still the one that ultimately pulls the lever. If you haven't seen the latest Persona X Smash Bros video on Twitter, you really should because Sakurai looks like he could ring a doorbell from six feet away the entire time. The guy just looks that enthused that Persona's coming to Smash. It also makes me believe that Nintendo's not going to add anyone that Sakurai isn't genuinely excited to work with.
Tinfoil hat time.

I've had this suspicion that Sakurai made the push for a Persona rep and it was more his doing than Nintendo's. It seems odd that Nintendo wants to add the character that's not on their system yet Sakurai gushes over (disregarding the possibility of a Switch version for now). Also the fact they finished choosing the line up, then less than a month after they announce Joker. I wonder if this was in the works for a good while.
It's probably Bird Studio and/or Toriyama then.

Which is still really bad for a Dragon Quest rep or Crono.
I've heard that Toriyama was a big reason why Chrono Trigger doesn't get re-released anymore. It's sequel, Chrono Cross, uses a totally different style. I'm thinking he may be behind it.
So yeah, that Erdrick "leak" that was shown earlier this month may have been...

View attachment 184550

Especially given that it was so unusually detailed.
Remember the Steve leak? It happened the same way. Text leak that got something else unrelated right so the Smash part must be true. Smash rumors have become so big that people will add it to legitimate rumors for attention or just trolling (a lot of these are coming from image board mind you). It could be fake. I can see Nintendo picking Dragon Quest; they love the series. However, what does seem odd is they would pick the character from the first game and not the newest one. Just food for thought.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
It's like I always say... Make your own judgements.

Don't throw all your eggs in a leak/insider basket. Not everything is as it seems and no one knows everything.

D

Deleted member

I'm playing Mother 3 currently.

I encourage you all take a break from speculation to play one of your favorite games.

I will continue my playthrough of Super Mario RPG when I return home from my trip

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I don't see Sora because KH3 is a competitor to Nintendo, plus the game isn't on the Switch
Persona isn't on the Switch, and KH3 is definitely not a rival. In fact, KH3 may very well appear on the Switch after it releases on the consoles it was made for. To quote its director, Tetsuya Nomura, directly:

“The Nintendo Switch is definitely a very interesting piece of hardware, but if we lightly say, ‘Oh yeah, we’ll be on the Nintendo Switch,’ I’m sure people will come back and say, ‘But what about the PS4 and Xbox One? We want them out first. Don’t focus on other platforms. So for now, we want to focus on what platforms we’ve already announced we’re going to be releasing Kingdom Hearts 3 on. And so after, perhaps, maybe we can start thinking about other possibilities."

He never said it won't appear on Switch, he just said it wouldn't appear at the same time as it releases on PS4 and Xbox. Plus, what better way to announce KH3 for Switch than with a Smash reveal? This interview was from July 2017, so it seems likely to me that they've thought about how much money they'd make if they included Sora after more than a year's worth of thinking.

I wouldn't say Sora is out of the running quite yet. However, he is technically owned by Disney, and although Disney usually asks Square to include him in certain things, I don't necessarily think he'd count as a Square rep.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wait whoa whoa why are we saying thet Erdrick is possibly leakbait now?
People are latching onto the idea because of the whole DBFZ fiasco. It's wishful thinking because a lot of people are now realizing that Dragon Quest in Smash may be the Monkey's Paw and a white elephant rolled into one, especially if it turns out Toriyama/Bird Studio is more or less responsible for killing the DBFZ competitive scene. Put another way, people are hoping Nintendo didn't **** the bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom