• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That said, I'm just glad Geno is overall in the base game. Square itself is clearly stingy(ignoring the music bit, but that's because they pay the Composer separately and don't own the music. Though one can argue Square charges way too much, though I agree it's good they try to pay their employees separately as well). Despite this, the content is close to the same. Though Smash 4 had slightly more, since the Geno Costume had a separate hat as well as the regular clothes? I'm pretty sure we had two Cloud trophies, so for the most part, it's about the same.

Even if Geno doesn't become playable via DLC, I still love the fact he made a base game appearance. I just wish we got SMRPG music too.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Well clearly some have read a good chunk of it at least and agree with that they have read. Just because you have problems digesting it or a lack of care to do so doesn't mean others do not.

Also, you have interacted with me before, though very little...and you kinda just did now. I did it just to take the piss outta you and get a rise because I've seen your typical posting style and jabbed you about it already, this time I was just mocking it.

Thanks for the response, and for future reference, if I tag you in a post it's likely because you made material that I consider worth acknowledging you for and giving you the opportunity to witness that acknowledgement...or I'm making some form of joke out of how kneejerk and hyperaggressive you tend to respond to people in a manner to make yourself look cool. Take a guess on which I'll be doing for you.
tbh I’m not really sure what crawled up your sexual orifice today to cause you to randomly throw some shade my way while I was just discussing Spirits and whatnot with other people here. Maybe you were just feeling extra insecure over the fact that my posts are usually received more positively than yours? I really don’t care about the why of it. I think it was pretty uncalled for considering I’ve barely interacted with you in the past. Truth be told I intentionally haven’t engaged with you because I didn’t want to be dismissive of your posts and create some day long back and forth with novel length posts on your end clogging up the overall discussion.

The funny thing is that because of your accusations of me being rude and hyper aggressive I just typed out a big ole insulting response and realized by posting it I’d just be proving your point and sinking to your level. So what I will say is that if you genuinely have a problem with me we can hash it out through DM but this isn’t the place for it and it’s definitely not the place to randomly **** talk people youre not even having a conversation with even if you decide to work it into your replies to other people in a really cringy way.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And it may be best to drop some of this conversation. I clearly did not look hard enough to see that some posts were sniping at other users. Now, considering what I said earlier, it'd be hypocritical to suddenly hand out a warning/infraction after defending the guy and saying "they weren't doing anything wrong". I was clearly mistaken.

That said, let's please respect others and not take potshots at them. Things like "Why are you such a jerk today?" are very rude and uncalled for. So let's drop that line of conversation entirely and move on.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
tbh I’m not really sure what crawled up your sexual orifice today to cause you to randomly throw some shade my way while I was just discussing Spirits and whatnot with other people here. Maybe you were just feeling extra insecure over the fact that my posts are usually received more positively than yours? I really don’t care about the why of it. I think it was pretty uncalled for considering I’ve barely interacted with you in the past. Truth be told I intentionally haven’t engaged with you because I didn’t want to be dismissive of your posts and create some day long back and forth with novel length posts on your end clogging up the overall discussion.

The funny thing is that because of your accusations of me being rude and hyper aggressive I just typed out a big ole insulting response and realized by posting it I’d just be proving your point and sinking to your level. So what I will say is that if you genuinely have a problem with me we can hash it out through DM but this isn’t the place for it and it’s definitely not the place to randomly **** talk people youre not even having a conversation with even if you decide to work it into your replies to other people in a really cringy way.
I have no actual qualm with you, I was just getting your goat man. Your typical response to things amuses me so I threw some shade your way to mess with you, that's all, just like how I find it amusing that I'm right about that being your default response as you had to actively prevent yourself from responding that way. I'm not like this very often, but some habits never truly die. A little leg pulling never hurt anyone as long as it was all in good fun, though I must admit I knew that the anonymity of being a dude typing text on a screen would likely make you take it personally even if it was a bit of a jab at your character. If you decide to let it bother you I can't stop you but I will say I had no intention of it being more than a small troll.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth I'll take it easy on the interweb slander as I started it with Datboi, but everything else was definitely just defending the presenting information and responding accordingly to how I was responded to.

As for a change of pace, we always talk about what moveset we want and taunts and stuff, but if you could only pick ONE aspect about Geno, what is the most important one to you?

D

Deleted member

I have no actual qualm with you, I was just getting your goat man. Your typical response to things amuses me so I threw some shade your way to mess with you, that's all, just like how I find it amusing that I'm right about that being your default response as you had to actively prevent yourself from responding that way. I'm not like this very often, but some habits never truly die. A little leg pulling never hurt anyone as long as it was all in good fun, though I must admit I knew that the anonymity of being a dude typing text on a screen would likely make you take it personally even if it was a bit of a jab at your character. If you decide to let it bother you I can't stop you but I will say I had no intention of it being more than a small troll.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth I'll take it easy on the interweb slander as I started it with Datboi, but everything else was definitely just defending the presenting information and responding accordingly to how I was responded to.

As for a change of pace, we always talk about what moveset we want and taunts and stuff, but if you could only pick ONE aspect about Geno, what is the most important one to you?
Geno jumping off of Sora as a recovery

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

So a mod literally just told you to drop the discussion and you proceed to rub the fact that you were an epic troll for no reason other than you get off on it in my face despite that. You have problems, man. Maybe get a hobby other than posting on the internet.

D

Deleted member

Okay, if we're being serious, his render.

I don't even have to explain how glorious it would be.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Well I see the civil discussion continued about how I expected after I left. I'm not here to discuss that with you guys any more but I do want to say this before I leave, beware getting caught up in an echo chamber. Obviously everyone here (myself included) wants to see Geno in Smash but when you get a large group of people together all saying the same thing you can lose sight of the other side of the discussion, especially if they are saying something you don't like.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm good. Though things are heating up in the Isaac thread, so I'll avoid that for a bit.

That said, while it is likely that Geno may not ever be playable, the important thing is that the devs remember him. For me, that's enough for now. Becoming playable would be gravy, if anything.

That said, I'm just glad Geno is overall in the base game. Square itself is clearly stingy(ignoring the music bit, but that's because they pay the Composer separately and don't own the music. Though one can argue Square charges way too much, though I agree it's good they try to pay their employees separately as well). Despite this, the content is close to the same. Though Smash 4 had slightly more, since the Geno Costume had a separate hat as well as the regular clothes? I'm pretty sure we had two Cloud trophies, so for the most part, it's about the same.

Even if Geno doesn't become playable via DLC, I still love the fact he made a base game appearance. I just wish we got SMRPG music too.
Yeah, even besides seeing Geno in some capacity, it's a wonder we even get anything from SE at all. No Tifa, no Aerith, not even the mandatory Sephiroth appearance. Cloud is more lonely in Smash than Mickey in Mickey Mania, and at least there Mickey had Pluto and various versions of himself helping him. In that area, you'd think content would get an upgrade, not a downgrade or side grade. It's so baffling. It also makes it more likely for fans to go nuts and cite every SE character under the sun as a DLC possibility, regardless of how likely their chances actually are.

Also, seeing Mallow being acknowledged here when even Brawl didn't do so is pretty nice. Not that many people asked to see him, yet here he is! :)

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, something that boggles my mind and leaves me feeling extra unhappy with the 'compensation' we got with Geno is just...

I feel like they didn't really try? Look at Isaac, the poor guy. They recognized his popularity and absolutely inundated the game with Golden Sun material. Music, an assist, spirits, icons, the brand new Mii costume... They went all out on consolation. For Geno and Mallow and anything SMRPG-related, I feel like they were just kind of afterthoughts. What do we have from them? Two spirits and an icon, and if we're lucky, maybe a ported Mii costume from Sm4sh. That's it. No music, no new costumes, no assists... nothing.

I know it's likely because of Square being Square, but why pay for Geno and Mallow to be in the game if a ported costume and a few reused PNGs are all we're getting? That's such an awful slap to the face. I'd be grateful for what little we got, but hell if it doesn't feel like an insult and squandering potential. To pay that much to get those rights and only use them for a cheap Mii costume port and some PNGs doesn't even make business sense, either. It feels like a huge waste.

D

Deleted member

You know, something that boggles my mind and leaves me feeling extra unhappy with the 'compensation' we got with Geno is just...

I feel like they didn't really try? Look at Isaac, the poor guy. They recognized his popularity and absolutely inundated the game with Golden Sun material. Music, an assist, spirits, icons, the brand new Mii costume... They went all out on consolation. For Geno and Mallow and anything SMRPG-related, I feel like they were just kind of afterthoughts. What do we have from them? Two spirits and an icon, and if we're lucky, maybe a ported Mii costume from Sm4sh. That's it. No music, no new costumes, no assists... nothing.

I know it's likely because of Square being Square, but why pay for Geno and Mallow to be in the game if a ported costume and a few reused PNGs are all we're getting? That's such an awful slap to the face. I'd be grateful for what little we got, but hell if it doesn't feel like an insult and squandering potential. To pay that much to get those rights and only use them for a cheap Mii costume port and some PNGs doesn't even make business sense, either. It feels like a huge waste.
There might be a reason that it is all we have for now ;)

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Look at Isaac, the poor guy. They recognized his popularity and absolutely inundated the game with Golden Sun material. Music, an assist, spirits, icons, the brand new Mii costume... They went all out on consolation. For Geno and Mallow and anything SMRPG-related, I feel like they were just kind of afterthoughts. What do we have from them? Two spirits and an icon, and if we're lucky, maybe a ported Mii costume from Sm4sh. That's it. No music, no new costumes, no assists... nothing.
What makes this even more interesting is that Nintendo was pretty tone deaf when it came to just how popular Isaac was this time around. Based on what insiders are telling us, they weren't prepared for the reaction to him not being playable.

But then take Geno...Nintendo KNOWS how big he is in the Smash scene, and how much his fans want him playable. This is a fanbase spanning more than a decade, and Sakurai himself has talked about how incredibly popular he is.

So Isaac was underestimated by Nintendo in terms of demand, and got a solid amount of non-playable representation. Geno's demand was much more well known, but he only gets a spirit and an icon.

Could that mean there's more to come for Geno/SMRPG? Yeah, it could. DLC fighter is still in the cards, and we'll at least get his mii costume back.

Or it could just be another case of Nintendo not making sense.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm that way too, but only for Season 1 DLC. I think beyond that, then we can maybe start expecting some additions to the roster, spirits or not.
Yeah, with season 1, I wouldn't expect it. However, I'm not so sure if we'd get a season 2. If anything, I could see Nintendo releasing individual fighter DLC afterward that aren't in waves, kind of like Sm4sh's DLC releases. That way, they can just stop whenever they're satisfied instead of having a fixed number, and they can add more ID slots if need be. The fact that there are 30 slots in data (29 when excluding PP) means that they have either more model-altering alternates of some kind in mind, or they have future-proofing for additional fighters. Even if each new fighter's pass fighter had two alts (such as Joker having two, which is a rumor, but one that seems very likely), that'd only be ten slots. Even if Erdrick ends up getting in with four ID slots taken by his alternates, that'd be fourteen slots taken, leaving fifteen behind.

That with Nintendo's strategy to market games as continuous services and the sheer amount of futureproof cushioning makes me think that another season or other, miscellaneous DLC is far from off of the table. Do I think Geno is in this fighter's pass? No way. There's such a small chance for that. Do I think that he could be planned for DLC outside of the fighter's pass in the future? Well, to put it simply... he'd have very high chances then. especially if they give Sakurai the chance to make more personal choices.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
Why is "spirits deconfirm" still a matter of discussion now?
I've thinking that a bit, and my conclusion is that it doesn't matter, for a simple reason:
- Fighters' spirits have two renders: One "original" and one "smash", that you can swap to check them on the spirits collection section
- As stated before, probably (I think the chances are 80%+), DLC fighters won't interact with WoL AT ALL. It makes sense since if so, they would have to rearrange a ton of **** to make the new fighters fit, and that could risk messing things up very bad.
- So, if there would be a chance that an already-spirit join the roster as a newcomer, Sakurai-tachi have to just add a smash render on top of the current one, and make them swappable. TA-DA, done, stuff happened. No need to rethink anything about WoL. At most, probably would have to change the spirit placement, that won't hurt at all.

But well, as always, just speculation. We will have to see.

Also, now that I can take the topic (since I always was late for the discussion), spirits are indeed trophies replacement, but they ARE NOT the same thing, so we do not have any supporting background to tell if everything applied to trophies before would apply to spirits now. New game, new rules. If they apply, that would be wonderful, but we can't tell now with 100% confidence.

PS: Did anyone find the lack of info for spirits a bit...disheartening? I mean, I always liked how trophies gave a brief description and source name that would complement the characters' background info, making it a lot more interesting and fun to read (like, it was this way that I learned that Phosphora is a bad singer, lol). Now, they just put the image and the series it belongs, and that's it. I think that from all questionable changes that happened from trophies to spirits, this was the one that hit me the most.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
So you know how Cloud just reuses his render artwork for his Fighter Spirit?

Maybe Geno's Fighter Spirit will be of his new render?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So you know how Cloud just reuses his render artwork for his Fighter Spirit?

Maybe Geno's Fighter Spirit will be of his new render?
This is pretty much what I’m expecting if he does ever get in SSBU.

PS: Did anyone find the lack of info for spirits a bit...disheartening? I mean, I always liked how trophies gave a brief description and source name that would complement the characters' background info, making it a lot more interesting and fun to read (like, it was this way that I learned that Phosphora is a bad singer, lol). Now, they just put the image and the series it belongs, and that's it. I think that from all questionable changes that happened from trophies to spirits, this was the one that hit me the most.
Yeah I completely agree. Overall I’m enjoying spirits and think spirit battles are s fun tribute. I’ve found myself actually laughing at times at some of the very clever ones in how they capture the spirit of a character I recognize. But there are several characters that I know nothing about that I wish included even a brief blurb discussing them giving their fight more context. I mean if they already took the time to research and plan battles around specific spirits I don’t think a brief summary for each would have been too crazy to include.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is pretty much what I’m expecting if he does ever get in SSBU.

Yeah I completely agree. Overall I’m enjoying spirits and think spirit battles are s fun tribute. I’ve found myself actually laughing at times at some of the very clever ones in how they capture the spirit of a character I recognize. But there are several characters that I know nothing about that I wish included even a brief blurb discussing them giving their fight more context. I mean if they already took the time to research and plan battles around specific spirits I don’t think a brief summary for each would have been too crazy to include.
I love the effort put into them. For instance, some of my favorites are Geno, Claus, and Hinawa.

For Geno, you fight Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Kirby, who is the Mallow stand-in. You defeat them (which is really difficult lol), then you fight...Sheik?!?! Mega man resembles Geno far more than Sheik! Anyways, you fight Sheik, who uses a star rod, the scope gun (or whatever it's called), and she shoots her needles. Then you obtain that smirking son of a *****, legendary with a power of 4000, hoping he is one of the DLC :D

Next, you have Claus. You first fight Lucas in his Claus alt, who you can pretty much call Claus, since they are twin brothers. After you defeat him, you fight Lucas in his Masked Man alt, who is metal. He uses guns and a beam sword, just like he does in Mother 3. This event match recreates the final boss, the battle against the Masked Man, in Mother 3. I cried lol. Like I always do when I play Mother 3.

Finally, we have Hinawa. You fight Zelda, in her alt that was her default alt in Brawl and Smash 4, and 2 Lucas', one in the Claus alt. You are fighting Lucas, Claus, and Hinawa. To recreate the Mecha Drago scene from Mother 3, you can fight the 3 with Meta Ridley. You could also use Lucas in his Masked Man alt. Once again, I cried from playing these spirit battles.

They are so well created, it's like playing those scenes from the game again.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I’m gonna laugh so hard if the next DLC character is a first party and a spirit.

Also did you guys know that Cloud isn’t the only character that uses his Smash Render for his fighter spirit? Wii Fit Trainer does as well. So the whole “Cloud is the only one that has his Smash Render as a fighter spirit cuz he was the last one” narrative is kinda false ain’t it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

It's a miracle we even got SMRPG spirits, since that game was seldom acknowledged until now in Smash. Cloud has absolutely nothing new to the point that even ROB uses more non-Smash artwork than him (said artwork being photographs, in ROB's case).

If anything, their poster boy's treatment is a hundred times more insulting than this.

Well, I can understand the lack of blurbs. There wasn't any time for even that, and people get bothered by spoilers anyway, even if some character appearances are spoilers in and of themselves. Mother 3 fans in particular I feel will be relieved that new audiences will actually need to find out how the characters are themselves (and in turn beg Ninty to bring the game stateside eventually).

Also, the lesser known about Other M, the better...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey guys, have you seen the Sakurai interview about Persona 5? Turns out his history with the series goes all the way back to the first game, pretty much making him a high tier Persona fan.
https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/1078213685192126464?s=19
Heck, he even made this art.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I think it's safe to say that character that Sakurai like's are at a benefit here.
Could be a coincidence, could be rather indicative. It's definitely a wait and see game, and it is very interesting how into Persona he is.

Also whoever doesn't like that Morgana Kirby is a soulless and heartless being :(

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hey guys, have you seen the Sakurai interview about Persona 5? Turns out his history with the series goes all the way back to the first game, pretty much making him a high tier Persona fan.

I think it's safe to say that character that Sakurai like's are at a benefit here.
Cool, I've been hoping other Persona games may get referenced by spirits, since 1 and 2 aren't going to get anything new due to writer issues.

Also, cats and Kirby are always a good combo.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

God I hope. lf this is indicative, my two boys have pretty decent shots.

Also Morgana Kirby = Love.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Something just jumped out at me.

This is something not a lot of people know about, but Scholastic, in 2006, released a book titled 'Mario and the Incredible Rescue', featuring characters and locations from SMRPG. Of note, many locations are seen (including the infamous Forest Maze) and some characters (Frogfucious, Toadofski, etc.) make returns. However, Geno and Mallow are nowhere to be seen in the whole book.

This is a... really unpopular book that didn't sell much, and considering it's a tiny Scholastic book, they probably didn't anticipate that it would either. I was surprised to see it even existed. It's a bit telling of how much SMRPG's assets cost in terms of the smaller things (locations, non-main characters, etc.), yet just as much so when it comes to how comparatively costly Geno and Mallow are. After all, why could all of these characters and places get into this little book, but not Geno and Mallow? It's clear that those two are SMRPG's most expensive assets that cost an arm and a leg to get.

So then... why did we only get Geno and Mallow spirits + a Geno icon? Why that hefty price for just those little bits? Even the Mii costume doesn't make much sense in terms of money gained vs. money spent, especially when taking how little Cloud got in the base game into account. If we got the two more expensive assets, why not any of the cheaper ones like Frogfucious, Gaz, Valentina, Nimbus Land folk, etc.? We only got those two very expensive, very noteworthy characters.

Hm. I don't know what to make of this. Just thought I'd lay it on the table.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

This is something not a lot of people know about, but Scholastic, in 2006, released a book titled 'Mario and the Incredible Rescue', featuring characters and locations from SMRPG. Of note, many locations are seen (including the infamous Forest Maze) and some characters (Frogfucious, Toadofski, etc.) make returns. However, Geno and Mallow are nowhere to be seen in the whole book.

This is a... really unpopular book that didn't sell much, and considering it's a tiny Scholastic book, they probably didn't anticipate that it would either. I was surprised to see it even existed. It's a bit telling of how much SMRPG's assets cost in terms of the smaller things (locations, non-main characters, etc.), yet just as much so when it comes to how comparatively costly Geno and Mallow are. After all, why could all of these characters and places get into this little book, but not Geno and Mallow? It's clear that those two are SMRPG's most expensive assets that cost an arm and a leg to get.

So then... why did we only get Geno and Mallow spirits + a Geno icon? Why that hefty price for just those little bits? Even the Mii costume doesn't make much sense in terms of money gained vs. money spent, especially when taking how little Cloud got in the base game into account. If we got the two more expensive assets, why not any of the cheaper ones like Frogfucious, Gaz, Valentina, Nimbus Land folk, etc.? We only got those two very expensive, very noteworthy characters.

I did not know that even existed. That is rather intriguing, and shows how even back then, Geno and Mallow had more value to Square than anything else in SMRPG.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I recall something Ovaltine Ovaltine said the other day and I could see it happening. She (is that right? Sorry if I misconstrued something along the way) mentioned characters being added as DLC just "as is" with no stage or music and I could see this being a lot more likely than a Season 2. This game getting DLC support into 2021 wouldn't surprise me, especially if they took that approach and how they've approached DLC with most other games. It also sounds like Sakurai's workload has dropped considerably already and that they had a surplus of money and resources set aside for Season One so I think he'd be more open to something like this. Not to say that this would inherently happen to Geno but I guess it's another thing to consider.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I recall something Ovaltine Ovaltine said the other day and I could see it happening. She (is that right? Sorry if I misconstrued something along the way) mentioned characters being added as DLC just "as is" with no stage or music and I could see this being a lot more likely than a Season 2. This game getting DLC support into 2021 wouldn't surprise me, especially if they took that approach and how they've approached DLC with most other games. It also sounds like Sakurai's workload has dropped considerably already and that they had a surplus of money and resources set aside for Season One so I think he'd be more open to something like this. Not to say that this would inherently happen to Geno but I guess it's another thing to consider.
Yeah, I really do see that as more likely. Along with them not getting stages, it'd make it easier to incorporate more fan-desired fighters into the game. Plus, let's be real, as much as I'd love even more fighters, I'm a bit exhausted with the amount of stages, haha. It's impossible to choose when you're on that selection screen without being SO overwhelmed! Yikes!

(Also, yes, that would be 'she'!)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Holy ****, I didn't know about that. That's really neat, though it begs the question of why these locales haven't appeared in a Mario game since if some random Scholastic author can use them...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That'd be good, seeing as unique and echo character possibilities for present series (by that, I mean series that are represented in Smash to begin with) couldn't be able to get in otherwise. I don't care if we don't get any new stages after the pass is out, so long as neat characters show up. Besides, the stage total number of 108 has a cultural meaning that likely shouldn't be messed with.

Plus, let's be real, as much as I'd love even more fighters, I'm a bit exhausted with the amount of stages, haha. It's impossible to choose when you're on that selection screen without being SO overwhelmed! Yikes!

(Also, yes, that would be 'she'!)
No kidding. I mean, I already have no idea which stage I'll start with, and I still don't have the game or a Switch!

(Though I would lie if I said I didn't miss Pac-Maze and Woolly World. :()

Last edited:

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
That would be great! I'm already expecting standalone Echo Fighters to be a thing, but original Fighters separate from any pass would be even better. It would give them a chance to throw in fan-favourites like Dixie, Bandana Dee and Geno without being held back by the need for a new stage (though I could still see them coming with a few music tracks).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That would be great! I'm already expecting standalone Echo Fighters to be a thing, but original Fighters separate from any pass would be even better. It would give them a chance to throw in fan-favourites like Dixie, Bandana Dee and Geno without being held back by the need for a new stage (though I could still see them coming with a few music tracks).
And even promotional character possibilities like Sylux for MP4. Now THAT would make an upset.

(In a good way, mind, not like :ultcorrin:. :smirk:)

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Heeeeey I'd genuinely love Sylux, though, even if he'd be a total promo pick. That's one shill choice I'd buy!
Helps that the guy has appeared in games before, as well as him being the most popular of the hunters due to his mysterious nature.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Ok ok, I think a lot of people don't think the Fighter's Pass will be the definitive end to character inclusions in Ultimate. But if that's the case, when would they stop adding characters? I think Nintendo plans on supporting the Switch at least up until 2022, but the next console we get may very well be something along the lines of a Switch "pro".

Personally, I think they'd stop adding characters at the very latest 2021. I think the next Smash game will probably come out between '23 and '26, and I personally feel like '25 is most likely considering how successful Ultimate is as of late, and how hard it would be to top in roster size (especially if they don't work with Bamco next time around). Naturally, to keep the competitive and casual scenes alive, I think we'll be getting our fair share of characters for years to come, and I firmly believe that the thirty character slots solidifies that they plan on supporting Ultimate for a while (or a character with a lot of alts like Bowser Jr. is soon to come). Obviously not 30 slots worth of newcomers, but a common practice in big companies is to have an overabundance of slots for things they may potentially add in the future (I worded that horribly, but you get my point).

Now this all sounds incredibly off topic, but like Fatmanonice said, this looks good on Geno's behalf. If Nintendo really wants to include more DLC after the Fighter's Pass in the future while continuing to present tempting offers that will reel in a lot of money, it's almost as if not including Geno would be a missed opportunity. Definitely not a sight for the casual eye, but then again, is Joker? Again, this all sounds really far-fetched, as with most speculation in this community, but even from an unbiased perspective, let it sink in. First and foremost, Nintendo would already guarantee purchases from completionists, and on top of that, Geno has among the largest followings in the Smash community, so I'd say the vast majority of his supporters would buy it. What's more, casual bandwagoners are also likely to purchase him. The rights to Geno are obviously very expensive, but I really think they'll make a decent profit for what it's worth.

But of course, we have counterpoints:

Other massive support groups whose characters are less expensive to get ahold of seem more probable profit-wise than Geno. Further, Geno's costliness is a major setback that even smaller support groups may have an advantage just for being cheaper.

To end off an a positive note, however, Geno would irrefutably garner truckloads of money Nintendo's way. Fan favorite, original, Sakurai bias, Nintendo seemingluand the very likely many years of Smash Ultimate DLC to come may be enough just this once to pave our way to victory.

So then... why did we only get Geno and Mallow spirits + a Geno icon? Why that hefty price for just those little bits?

Imo it's the fans. Like many people have noted, Nintendo is listening more to us than ever before (or at least, quite some time), so the hefty price they paid could easily just be consolation prizes for our efforts throughout the years. Of course, it does strike me as odd, but afaik it'd be more expensive to include Geno as a fighter than a spirit, and while Nintendo is hearing our voices more, they were still unwilling to pay for an entire character slot.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
I firmly believe that the thirty character slots solidifies that they plan on supporting Ultimate for a while (or a character with a lot of alts like Bowser Jr. is soon to come). Obviously not 30 slots worth of newcomers, but a common practice in big companies is to have an overabundance of slots for things they may potentially add in the future (I worded that horribly, but you get my point).
I've vaguely heard about this placeholder Slot ID thing, but can someone give me an explanation (or a source)?

From what I understand, each of these IDs are taken up by unique character appearances (so, for example: Builder Mario and Wedding Mario have separate IDs from regular Mario). If that's the case, we can already place three of the placeholder slots:
  1. Piranha Plant (Pot)
  2. Piranha Plant (Pipe)
  3. Joker

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've vaguely heard about this placeholder Slot ID thing, but can someone give me an explanation (or a source)?

From what I understand, each of these IDs are taken up by unique character appearances (so, for example: Builder Mario and Wedding Mario have separate IDs from regular Mario). If that's the case, we can already place three of the placeholder slots:
  1. Piranha Plant (Pot)
  2. Piranha Plant (Pipe)
  3. Joker
30's still a ton though and even if they added a hypothetical Dragon Quest character that had 8 totally separate ALTs for different "Heroes" in the series, we'd still have more than half of them to consider. On that note, are the Inklings ID'd separately? I know the boy and girl are but what about their clothing options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom