• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
So he came before the Season pass fighters. You do realize the implications there right? He's the furthest in development. And if he was held back, like others which was suggested earlier, then it stands to reason they'd all be treated the same after him.

They're DLC, so they're all essentially "bonuses". He's just free for a limited time and doesn't come with a new stage.

And again. Why doesn't he have a spirit at all if they didn't care? Again, so far, the pattern involving spirits either way, hasn't been broken or debunked yet.
He’s not part of the Fighter Pass...? Him not having a spirit could just be an anomaly.

We just don’t know. Not really a point in discussing further until new evidence is presented since it’s the same bloody points clashing against each other and everyone thinks they’re right.

Also is there a source saying that Joker was the BIG character revealed or was that just another theory?

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
All the stat data for PP is already in the game, so the cut character is most likely a different character:
Two problems with that stat data claim.

First off. There's no actual specification of where those stats are obtained. Be it from the actual game data, or visual observations. Don't underestimate the Smash fanbase, they've done it before.

Second. Even if that were the case, cut or not, that wouldn't separate PP from the DLC bunch in being held back together like you orginally theorized. It'd be just more a matter of how far along they were with each character.
He’s not part of the Fighter Pass...? Him not having a spirit could just be an anomaly.
True, it could. But remember. The reason the spirits theory, at least regarding Season 1 DLC, is still afloat, is because so far, they've matched the pattern with PP.
Also is there a source saying that Joker was the BIG character revealed
What do you mean? Like he was the biggest of the reveals for the pass? No one's ever said that really.

D

Deleted member

Two problems with that stat data claim.

First off. There's no actual specification of where those stats are obtained. Be it from the actual game data, or visual observations. Don't underestimate the Smash fanbase, they've done it before.

Second. Even if that were the case, cut or not, that wouldn't separate PP from the DLC bunch in being held back together like you orginally theorized. It'd be just more a matter of how far along they were with each character.

True, it could. But remember. The reason the spirits theory, at least regarding Season 1 DLC, is still afloat, is because so far, they've matched the pattern with PP.

What do you mean? Like he was the biggest of the reveals for the pass? No one's ever said that really.
Did you even click on the links in Fatmanonice's post?

Also, PP was in development in the base game. Sakurai stated that developing a character takes about a year. PP is almost finished and will be ready in February. Sakurai also stated that Joker isn't in a playable state yet. PP doesn't match up with any of the DLC, due to being a bonus and in development long before Joker

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Did you even click on the links in Fatmanonice's post?
Yeah, and like I said. Within those links he provided, there's no specifications on how those stats were allegedly obtained. You can check the links themselves if you want.
Also, PP was in development in the base game. Sakurai stated that developing a character takes about a year.
Got a source on that? Because by that logic, there's no way they'd have all 5 doc characters in the pass done by February 2020.
PP doesn't match up with any of the DLC, due to being a bonus and in development long before Joker
So he's DLC now, and while his fighter spirit being absent fits with that, it begs the question again, why bother not having a spirit for the plant at all? Especially if they could just edit in for him like people suggest they could for other spirits if they were made fighters?

And if the rest of the pass is 3rd party characters not shown yet, then the the story writes itself.

By all means. You don't have to believe the theory, but that doesn't negate how there's no evidence contradicting it present yet. And it's quite suspicious.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing that people are glossing over is, as long as there aren't spirits for a third-party series in the game, one could assume they could be revealed as DLC by that logic and anyone could be it. DQ character? Final Fantasy character? Random Sega property that isn't Sonic? Bamco character (that isn't Heihachi)? SNK character? ArcSys character? All fair game, apparently.

We just don’t know. Not really a point in discussing further until new evidence is presented since it’s the same bloody points clashing against each other and everyone thinks they’re right.
Oy, pretty much. The minute I manage to get a Switch, I'm not going to be involved in these discussions until actual news happen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, and like I said. Within those links he provided, there's no specifications on how those stats were allegedly obtained. You can check the links themselves if you want.

Got a source on that? Because by that logic, there's no way they'd have all 5 doc characters in the pass done by February 2020.

So he's DLC now, and while his fighter spirit being absent fits with that, it begs the question again, why bother not having a spirit for the plant at all? Especially if they could just edit in for him like people suggest they could for other spirits if they were made fighters?

And if the rest of the pass is 3rd party characters not shown yet, then the the story writes itself.

By all means. You don't have to believe the theory, but that doesn't negate how there's no evidence contradicting it present yet. And it's quite suspicious.
https://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/...saawI0s85D_K70a0iGqw6T3zwL0V7TAIir4XS_oPNw7gU

PP not having a spirit is due to him possibly being intended for the base game, but not the cut character, explaining why he has a lot of work done on him and him being a bonus. Another reason him not having a spirit could be the decision of the team deciding the spirits. Spirits and DLC characters are not decided by the same people.

PP could have a fighter spirit of him added when he joins the game. Or, he may not, since, again, he is a bonus

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
PP could have a fighter spirit of him added when he joins the game. Or, he may not, since, again, he is a bonus
The fact remains though. He doesn't have a spirit in the base game, squat. And neither does Joker. For obvious reasons sure, but there's still the pattern.
Do you have a more up to date source? Also he only said it "can" take over a year. Not a certainty that they all would.
And that doesn't address how things may have improved or changed edith the newer scene here on this tech either.

Heck, going off something more recent, almost all character plans and selections can happen before the game development even begins.
PP not having a spirit is due to him possibly being intended for the base game, but not the cut character, explaining why he has a lot of work done on him and him being a bonus.
Not necessarily. He's not ready until February and there's no telling how far or how long he's got, let alone when they even started development on him.

Not only that, but again, the stats aren't confirmed to have actually been pulled from the game's data. They could very well and more likely, are configured from hard visual observation. Unless you've got a source to a confirmed data mine proving otherwise.

And you keep throwing around the word "bonus". That doesn't really change much. He's dull still a dlc character. He's just one that's free for a bit and doesn't have a stage confirmed to be coming with him. Still, he's DLC during the the duration of the first season of DLC. The selection of which, was likely finalized before Spirits were.

Which could very well have left room for Sakurai, Nintendo or whomever to warn the spirits team from including specific characters as spirits.

And in cases like Joker, easily avoided, having been a third party previously not on Nintendo Smash fans' radars in the first place.

Last edited:

CranberryBreve

Smash Rookie
It seems like there is an expectation that Square will only get one slot in the DLC and therefore Geno is up against characters like Erdrick and Sora. It is an easy assumption to make but I’d like to entertain the possibility this constraint doesn’t exist. Why can’t Nintendo add Geno in addition to one of the other Square reps. After all, Geno in the eyes of casual fans is a Nintendo/Mario rep, not a square rep.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
It seems like there is an expectation that Square will only get one slot in the DLC and therefore Geno is up against characters like Erdrick and Sora. It is an easy assumption to make but I’d like to entertain the possibility this constraint doesn’t exist. Why can’t Nintendo add Geno in addition to one of the other Square reps. After all, Geno in the eyes of casual fans is a Nintendo/Mario rep, not a square rep.
Yeah, I've never seen Geno as a "Square rep" at all, surely it is owned by'em but, isn't "Just one new rep by company" also a fan rule?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's a likely possibility, much like how some people around here believed that both Steve and Banjo-Kazooie could get in as Microsoft characters at once. There is a precedence to this kind of thing, too. :ultmegaman::ultryu:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Only one in development at the time? That’s my explanation.
Nah man, I don't buy that. Spirits are super easy to implement, that is referenced to multiple times in interviews: they had little time and some resource constraint but Sakurai wanted to fulfill his 'Everyone is Here!' Thus, how hard would it be to toss in one more Spirit with Piranha Plant when other Mario goons are already Spirits and PP's data is already in the game?

It makes me think that anything that was going to be DLC is coming packaged with Spirits and that maybe some were planned but held back since PP was super late in development. This is why I say we should look at bigger franchises that don't have Spirits yet.

Also, now I can remember your name and ask you more Ninten stuff if need be, like what move you think is required for him if he was to be playable.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had another Geno dream if anyone is interested, it's a very strange one too.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I had another Geno dream if anyone is interested, it's a very strange one too.
Oh, I'm definitely interested. Weird dreams are my forté, as is anything related to this stellar good boy.

Another thing I thought might be interesting to keep discussion fresh, and this one is rooted in canon now that Geno has a spirit: How do y'all think he'd interact with the roster? Got any headcanons? I could see him and Samus kicking some space pirate booty together, if you ask me. You've heard of Samus and tiny mouse, but now... Samus and tiny doll!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It most certainly is. Can't even begin to tell you how annoying it is when someone tries to use that excuse against more Capcom or SEGA figures.
Especially when it comes to Phoenix, who I think has a GREAT chance at this first pass, especially since Sakurai met up with Shu Takami around... I think when DLC was starting to be planned? Or the project plan itself? Whatever the case, I'm over here like, screw y'all's fan rules, Phoenix gives a fat OBJECTION! to that! Even if we get another Capcom rep, bring him in.

... Um, sorry, this isn't the PW topic? Oh. Um. Ah. I'll, I'll just check myself out for now, um...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It most certainly is. Can't even begin to tell you how annoying it is when someone tries to use that excuse against more Capcom or SEGA figures.
Not to mention its just as popular variant, "no more than one fighter per third party series", which has almost certainly evolved into "no more than one unique fighter per third party series". At least this nonsense is an issue we can agree on.

... Um, sorry, this isn't the PW topic? Oh. Um. Ah. I'll, I'll just check myself out for now, um...
No no it's fine, things are slow right now and nobody objected to me when I used Metal Slug characters as a comparison when talking about character IDs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The fact remains though. He doesn't a spirit in the base game, squat. And neither does Joker. For obvious reasons sure, but there's still the pattern.

Do you have a more up to date source? Also he only said it "can" take over a year. Not a certainty that they all would.
And that doesn't address how things may have improved or changed edith the newer scene here on this tech either.

Heck, going off something more recent, almost all character plans and selections can happen before the game development even begins.
Not necessarily. He's not ready until February and there's no telling how far or how long he's got, let alone when they even started development on him.

Not only that, but again, the stats aren't confirmed to have actually been pulled from the game's data. They could very well and more likely, are configured from hard visual observation. Unless you've got a source to a confirmed data mine proving otherwise.

And you keep throwing around the word "bonus". That doesn't really change much. He's dull still a dlc character. He's just one that's free for a bit and doesn't have a stage confirmed to be coming with him. Still, he's DLC during the the duration of the first season of DLC. The selection of which, was likely finalized before Spirits were.

Which could very well have left room for Sakurai, Nintendo or whomever to warn the spirits team from including specific characters as spirits.

And in cases like Joker, easily avoided, having been a third party previously not on Nintendo Smash fans' radars in the first place.
I keep mentioning that PP is a bonus because he is specifically different from the other DLC characters. He doesn't have a stage or music tracks to come with him. There is a reason he is stressed to be a bonus. This is one of the things that lead to him not having a spirit.

There's also a reason it is stressed that a different team decided the spirits. If they decided based on who the DLC characters were, then I think Sakurai would have said "the spirits were decided on by a team based on who the DLC characters are."

PP could have been intended for the base roster, explaining why there is a lot of work done on him, and could be another reason to explain why he doesn't have a spirit in the base game.

Something else. There are playable characters in the base game who have non-fighter spirits and fighter spirits, and some who only have fighter spirits. Pit and Wii Fit trainer have non-fighter spirits and fighters spirits. This would be no different with characters who have spirits in the base game to obtain a fighter spirit if they come as DLC, and to have that fighter spirit when they are available for DLC. I say PP could have a fighter spirit of himself ready when he is available. Joker is more likely to have a fighter spirit of himself when he is ready since he isn't a bonus.

In the end though, we can't be sure that they deconfirm until all five DLC characters are revealed or if a character with a spirit in the base game is a DLC character. If all 5 characters are revealed and none of them are spirits, then spirits deconfirm, but if a character who is a spirit is a DLC character, then spirits do not deconfirm. For now, we stick with our opinions.

Let's both drop this, because I am getting tired of arguing

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I do have to wonder about that missing slot because it has its own victory theme, really. It wouldn't be PP, I'm sure, because it'll likely just share Bowser's/Bowser Jr.'s victory theme, as it is a Mario enemy. Whoever it was had a separate theme, and frankly, I don't think it'd be Geno. He'd likely share Mario's/Peach's/Daisy's/etc. It does lend a bit to the theory of Erdrick being planned for base, if not someone else who would require a new victory theme.
Considering Rosalina has her own separate victory theme, I wouldn't doubt that Geno could have the SMRPG fan fare as his victory theme.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
This is one of the things that lead to him not having a spirit.
Not really. It's an assumption at best. In fact, all it really does is explain how his development as a whole could be shorter. Whether he was cut or not, planned alongside the Season pass characters or before, of off course his development could easily be farther ahead. And this all still ignores that the fact that so far, none of the Season1 Pass characters so far have spirits in the game either. You're gonna need something concrete to sink the theory.
If they decided based on who the DLC characters were, then I think Sakurai would have said "the spirits were decided on by a team based on who the DLC characters are."
What reason would he have to say that? From a business perspective. Obviously they don't care if we catch on to a trend and theorize about it like the box theory. But they have absolutely nothing to gain from confirming that whether or not it's the truth. They want to keep us guessing. Like, even with the Box theory, we were still guessing.
PP could have been intended for the base roster, explaining why there is a lot of work done on him, and could be another reason to explain why he doesn't have a spirit in the base game.
Or, it could just be because he has less attached to his DLC purchase to work on. Simply put, if there's less to juggle, of course he'd be closer to finishing.

Though the fact that Nintendo are planning a VGA reveal as early as E32018, not to mention that they have confirmed to have been in the works on Joker, while PP isn't available still, does highly suggest that DLC fighters are able to worked on as alongside one another.
Something else. There are playable characters in the base game who have non-fighter spirits and fighter spirits, and some who only have fighter spirits. Pit and Wii Fit trainer have non-fighter spirits and fighters spirits.
We've been through this before. Those equippable spirits all have disambiguations that vary them from the fighter spirits. Same characters or not, those have details that differentiate them from the fighters send their fighter spirits, be it looks, ages, or the very names of said spirit.
Joker is more likely to have a fighter spirit of himself when he is ready since he isn't a bonus.
Obviously. And he doesn't have a spirit in the base game. Again, you don't have to believe the theory, but you gotta understand that there's not been a solid evidence piece deconfirming it yet.

All we can do is wait until something does actually debunk it, or of it ends up true like the Box theory.

I still hold that past Season 1, then spirits will be more likely.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant speculation is something I can get behind! It's more grounded in reality than any fan rule, theory, or leak besides Vergeben. (Something like >75% success rate?)

So PP is the new Mewtwo, a DLC fighter free for a limited time. I would say it's half marketing, half development related. Every Smash game has characters they didn't finish developing, confirmed with Sakurai's interviews on each game's dropped fighters. Plus, Sakurai focused on character roster more than anything else this game, so it makes sense that Piranha Plant wouldn't be one of the 6 new fighters.

...You're gonna need something concrete to sink the theory...
...Obviously they don't care if we catch on to a trend and theorize about it like the box theory...
...They want to keep us guessing...
...Again, you don't have to believe the theory, but you gotta understand that there's not been a solid evidence piece deconfirming it yet...

We've been through this before. Those equippable spirits all have disambiguations that vary them from the fighter spirits.
Not really. It's an assumption at best.
Fan theories are fun and all, but talking like another theory is invalid because it didn't disprove your theory... well... that's not how theories work. You can't say "my unproven thing disproves your unproven thing". All the speculation is just speculation, patterns and rules may or may not mean anything.

At best, I'll counter your statements with your own statement, "It's an assumption at best."

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Here’s a fun question:

Geno is a wooden doll, but when they reach Smithy’s dimension, Bowser says to Geno “I oughtta rip your stuffing out!”

So is Geno not a fully wooden doll, or was Bowser just blowing smoke?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Here’s a fun question:

Geno is a wooden doll, but when they reach Smithy’s dimension, Bowser says to Geno “I oughtta rip your stuffing out!”

I'm sure Bowser is just blowing smoke. He's clever and all, but he's... definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed. Associating a doll with stuffing and, in a rage, babbling that nonsense when Geno is obviously made of wood is such a silly blunder that it's... so RPG Bowser.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here’s a fun question:

Just a way of showing Bowser's wanting to go kick his ass.

Although him ripping out Geno's soul ala Gold Lightan would be kinda cool.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Fan theories are fun and all, but talking like another theory is invalid because it didn't disprove your theory... well... that's not how theories work. You can't say "my unproven thing disproves your unproven thing".
Expect that's not what I'm doing, nor have I done. I stated simply why the theory is still afloat, debated arguments against it, and simply provided counterpoints.

I never said anything was confirmed, nor suggested that anything I can't readily proove cancelled out such. I've just made the case that the theory hasn't been debunked yet, and that going off of more recent sources, above suggestions come off as extremely assumptive.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So...can we just pretend that characters that aren't in in some form are completely annihilated
by Dharkom
until further notice? That would hurt people's heads a lot less, if you ask me.

We can argue about this until the cows come home and go to bed (Thank you, SMRPG player's guide, for teaching me that saying.) ,but it still won't affect anything the devs have done or will do. Let's just agree to disagree for the time being.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Here’s a fun question:

New headcanon: Bowser is a huge nerd that plays with dolls action figures

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
A theory not being disproven doesn't mean it's true. Jeez why is everyone obsessed with being right? Making your own judgements doesn't mean shutting others down that disagree with you.

Also does anyone have a link to the datamined slots? Or is it just heresay? I kinda want to look for myself.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Also does anyone have a link to the datamined slots? Or is it just heresay? I kinda want to look for myself.
I'm also curious about that. I asked yesterday to no response, so I don't think anyone here has it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A theory not being disproven doesn't mean it's true. Jeez why is everyone obsessed with being right? Making your own judgements doesn't mean shutting others down that disagree with you.

Asking PokéfreakofBACON PokéfreakofBACON seems like the best course of action.

Also, posting this song again, because it rings so true:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Alright, this is rather wordy so brace yourselves...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a really weird side-topic, but it's related to Geno: I had another dream, which happened two nights ago.

I was watching a Nintendo Direct and they had already talked about a bunch of cool stuff that I was excited for, and then Reggie came on and talked for a bit before playing a trailer...[insert new simple Smash trailer intro]

So they show off the new character and I don't recognize him, some beefy blonde guy with long hair. In my dream I legitimately space out because both my mom was asking me something and I was a bit disillusioned with Nintendo, but I remember him destroying Ken with a FS at the end and his music was cool.

It comes back to Reggie and I was still a bit spacey and then I heard Reggie say 'From Garou: Mark of the Wolves' and I flipped my **** in a conflicted manner: on one hand, taking a character from an obscure fighting game is kinda dope, but on the other we have so many characters that are more requested than that and it made me upset. Reggie talked for a bit more, then he acted surprised, and suddenly he was whisked away as if by magic. It then cuts to a scene of a kid's room with toys and plushies everywhere, and the magic that took Reggie finds it's way to a Reggie plushie and he comes alive and starts talking as if Reggie has now possessed a Reggie plushie.

This is a good time to quickly explain how my dreams work: I occasionally have vivid dreams that I remember almost perfectly clear even years down the line. When this happens, I usually not only have myself as part of my dream, but I also have myself watching my dream sequence as if it was a movie and making critiques about certain things (IE I had a dream where my uncles visited me and a female friend at a cabin, and when I saw them I was terrified even though nothing seemed out of the ordinary at that point. The version of myself watching the dream pointed out that it made no sense to be afraid of them as I love all my family and especially these uncles.). I know it makes no sense at all, but I have to bring this up for clarity sake.

So in my dream, I was like 'If this isn't a goddamn Geno reveal for either Smash or a new SMRPG game, I swear to god Nintendo, I quit. I'm f***ing done!' The me that watches the dream within my dream was like 'Damn straight! Let's go GenoBros!'

So Reggie talks to some others toys that are surely references somehow and then he gets blindsided and knocked over. When he gets up and looks at who did it, it's some random Mario character that once again I didn't catch the name of despite it being a Smash reveal. I remember his design was similar to Lakitu or Boom Boom in that he was bald but he also had this machine like the Clown Car and I was livid because it seemed like another Isabelle situation (plays very similar, but not and echo because size reasons) except this one seemed to have even less of an excuse. The weird thing was that his art style was like that of Mario & Luigi, and he had this weird mechanic that when he hit a fighter with a certain move he would take what looked like a glob of paint from them and he could augment another attack based off the color he got. This glob was different based on the that most present color of the fighter he took it from, but only from their original design, not palette swaps. He also threw these globs of color into a clear tube atop his machine as part of the animation but it was safe because they crumpled like with Ridley's Down-B. The fighter then had weakened damage and knockback for a time, like he had removed part of their essence or something.

It was weird and all I remember of this character reveal, but not as weird as what happened next. So the character goes over to Plushie Reggie and pulls out a piece of his essence and it looks like Reggie might die or something and then the new character get wrecked and flies off into a a tower of building blocks and then you see Reggie's essence float down and hover above a hand...A WOODEN HAND! Then you hear the sound of wood clinking as the essence is given back to Reggie, and when he accepts it back the wooden hand helps pull him up. The camera then swivels to reveal Reggie's hero and...IT'S MUTHAFOOKIN GENO BABY! As you can assume, both versions of myself in this dream lost their collective s*** but it was tainted a bit: Geno seemed a bit off from what we knew. His expressions were less of the enthusiastic but down-to-earth hero we knew and more fulled with some sort of conflict. His outfit was still mostly blue but it had black portions at the bottom of the cape and around the collar pieces and he was missing his right hand.

The me in the dream was just so excited that he didn't care, but the me watching the dream was like 'Aww no, the edge-i-fied him! Why, Nintendo, WHY?!' The other Mario character emerged from the rubble and glared angrily at Geno, and then from Geno's missing hand he formed A GIANT PURPLE AND BLUE SWORD and charged into battle. We then get a highlight reel of his moveset and it's mostly melee attacks with only a couple of cool moves that feel like the Geno we know like finger shots and shooting off his fist. Also at one point his model is pixelated like he's part of Rivals of AEther or something, but it wasn't permanent so I can't tell you what that was about. Then at the end he has his final Smash and it's pretty badass: it's fully cinematic after he charges and grabs then and takes them both to Star Hill via some sort of teleportation. He then does a barrage of attacks that have slashes from the sword in between, but then he does a flip over them and lights them up with finger bullets from the one hand and does a samurai-esq slash back through them. As they are stunned he turns around and fires his fist off and it hits them in the face and sends them reeling. He then slashes them again and kicks them towards the fist, which opens and grabs then by the shoulder and returns them to Geno and as the fist locks in place you can see that Geno pierces the, with his sword. He then lifts them up while still pierced by the sword and flicks them off a la Super Vegito style and then he absorbs energy from the wish stars on Star Hill and fires off a Geno Beam on the level of a Samus Zero Laser then just as that beam ends it looks like he fires off another smaller beam but it's actually the sword, which pierces them through and then it cuts to the game and they die off hitting the blast zone.

He then does a pose, but it's not his arm-crossed nod but one with his back facing the camera and him looking up towards the sky with both his regular arm and sword arm by his sides.

Then it came back to regular Reggie talking about how all these characters are in development and would be coming soon, but he took a piece of fuzz off his face and was like 'Huh, how did that get there?'

Then I woke up so confused because I thought I legit just watched that happen and I had woke up with little sleep having been gained, so it was hard for me to realize that I had dreamt it all up for a few minutes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fun facts about this dream:

1. I have never played Garou: Mark of the Wolves in any form ever. I've heard of it, but I have never played it nor looked it up ever until after my dream. The character I dreamt of turns out to be real: it's Terry Bogard, but it's his design from one of the G: MotW games in which they call him Wild Wolf. Long blonde hair and beefy. Now I have seen this design of Terry before in NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, a game my old roommate and I played a ton when the only working system we had was my PS2. However, I didn't know it came from G: MotW or that Terry was in that game and I didn't recognize him in my dream. How in the hell does that happen?

2. I have no idea where this Mario RPG series character came from, as I have never played a game or watched much of anyone play anything outside SMRPG and a very small amount of TTYD that I watched from GameGrumps. He's probably not even real, but if you guys know of or find anything that is similar to this let me know so I can freak out even more that I dreamt this up.

3. Geno having a purple-blue laser sword could possibly be attributed to me playing through Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep before I fell out. I'm currently beating Aqua's story and I got her Bladecharge which, when triggered, makes a giant purple-ish light blade extend from her keyblade. I assume Geno being 'edge-i-fied' would attribute to me fear that if we do get him that he SOMEHOW won't be properly referenced to even though it's mf Sakurai and Crew working on this so he would, although he did look kinda badass. Also the FS cinematic has no reference I can think of other than Super Vegito, the rest is just my imagination going to town.

4. I'm never eating Crockpot Lasagna with Kraft Paw Patrol Mac N Cheese right before bed EVER again, even if that dream was wild.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a really weird side-topic, but it's related to Geno: I had another dream, which happened two nights ago.

I was watching a Nintendo Direct and they had already talked about a bunch of cool stuff that I was excited for, and then Reggie came on and talked for a bit before playing a trailer...[insert new simple Smash trailer intro]

So they show off the new character and I don't recognize him, some beefy blonde guy with long hair. In my dream I legitimately space out because both my mom was asking me something and I was a bit disillusioned with Nintendo, but I remember him destroying Ken with a FS at the end and his music was cool.

It comes back to Reggie and I was still a bit spacey and then I heard Reggie say 'From Garou: Mark of the Wolves' and I flipped my **** in a conflicted manner: on one hand, taking a character from an obscure fighting game is kinda dope, but on the other we have so many characters that are more requested than that and it made me upset. Reggie talked for a bit more, then he acted surprised, and suddenly he was whisked away as if by magic. It then cuts to a scene of a kid's room with toys and plushies everywhere, and the magic that took Reggie finds it's way to a Reggie plushie and he comes alive and starts talking as if Reggie has now possessed a Reggie plushie.

This is a good time to quickly explain how my dreams work: I occasionally have vivid dreams that I remember almost perfectly clear even years down the line. When this happens, I usually not only have myself as part of my dream, but I also have myself watching my dream sequence as if it was a movie and making critiques about certain things (IE I had a dream where my uncles visited me and a female friend at a cabin, and when I saw them I was terrified even though nothing seemed out of the ordinary at that point. The version of myself watching the dream pointed out that it made no sense to be afraid of them as I love all my family and especially these uncles.). I know it makes no sense at all, but I have to bring this up for clarity sake.

So in my dream, I was like 'If this isn't a goddamn Geno reveal for either Smash or a new SMRPG game, I swear to god Nintendo, I quit. I'm f***ing done!' The me that watches the dream within my dream was like 'Damn straight! Let's go GenoBros!'

So Reggie talks to some others toys that are surely references somehow and then he gets blindsided and knocked over. When he gets up and looks at who did it, it's some random Mario character that once again I didn't catch the name of despite it being a Smash reveal. I remember his design was similar to Lakitu or Boom Boom in that he was bald but he also had this machine like the Clown Car and I was livid because it seemed like another Isabelle situation (plays very similar, but not and echo because size reasons) except this one seemed to have even less of an excuse. The weird thing was that his art style was like that of Mario & Luigi, and he had this weird mechanic that when he hit a fighter with a certain move he would take what looked like a glob of paint from them and he could augment another attack based off the color he got. This glob was different based on the that most present color of the fighter he took it from, but only from their original design, not palette swaps. He also threw these globs of color into a clear tube atop his machine as part of the animation but it was safe because they crumpled like with Ridley's Down-B. The fighter then had weakened damage and knockback for a time, like he had removed part of their essence or something.

It was weird and all I remember of this character reveal, but not as weird as what happened next. So the character goes over to Plushie Reggie and pulls out a piece of his essence and it looks like Reggie might die or something and then the new character get wrecked and flies off into a a tower of building blocks and then you see Reggie's essence float down and hover above a hand...A WOODEN HAND! Then you hear the sound of wood clinking as the essence is given back to Reggie, and when he accepts it back the wooden hand helps pull him up. The camera then swivels to reveal Reggie's hero and...IT'S MUTHAFOOKIN GENO BABY! As you can assume, both versions of myself in this dream lost their collective s*** but it was tainted a bit: Geno seemed a bit off from what we knew. His expressions were less of the enthusiastic but down-to-earth hero we knew and more fulled with some sort of conflict. His outfit was still mostly blue but it had black portions at the bottom of the cape and around the collar pieces and he was missing his right hand.

The me in the dream was just so excited that he didn't care, but the me watching the dream was like 'Aww no, the edge-i-fied him! Why, Nintendo, WHY?!' The other Mario character emerged from the rubble and glared angrily at Geno, and then from Geno's missing hand he formed A GIANT PURPLE AND BLUE SWORD and charged into battle. We then get a highlight reel of his moveset and it's mostly melee attacks with only a couple of cool moves that feel like the Geno we know like finger shots and shooting off his fist. Also at one point his model is pixelated like he's part of Rivals of AEther or something, but it wasn't permanent so I can't tell you what that was about. Then at the end he has his final Smash and it's pretty badass: it's fully cinematic after he charges and grabs then and takes them both to Star Hill via some sort of teleportation. He then does a barrage of attacks that have slashes from the sword in between, but then he does a flip over them and lights them up with finger bullets from the one hand and does a samurai-esq slash back through them. As they are stunned he turns around and fires his fist off and it hits them in the face and sends them reeling. He then slashes them again and kicks them towards the fist, which opens and grabs then by the shoulder and returns them to Geno and as the fist locks in place you can see that Geno pierces the, with his sword. He then lifts them up while still pierced by the sort and flicks them off a la Super Vegito style and then he absorbs energy for the wish stars on Star Hill and fires of a Geno Beam on the level of a Samus Zero Laser then just as that beam ends it looks like he fires off another smaller beam but it's actually the sword, which pierces them through and then it cuts to the game and the die off hitting the blast zone.

He then does a pose, but it's not he arm-crossed nod but one with his back facing the camera and him looking up towards the sky with both his regular arm and sword arm by his sides.

Then it came back to regular Reggie talking about how all these characters are in development and would be coming soon, but he took a piece of fuzz off his face and was like 'Huh, how did that get there?'

Then I woke up so confused because I thought I legit just watched that happen and I had woke up with little sleep having been gained, so it was hard for me to realize that I had dreamt it all up for a few minutes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I have never played Garou: Mark of the Wolves in any form ever. I've heard of it, but I have never played it nor looked it up ever until after my dream. The character I dreamt of turns out to be real: it's Terry Bogard, but it's his design from one of the G: MotW games in which they call him Wild Wolf. Long blonde hair and beefy. Now I have seen this design of Terry before in NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, a game my old roommate and I played a ton when the only working system we had was my PS2. However, I didn't know it came from G: MotW or that Terry was in that game and I didn't recognize him in my dream. How in the hell does that happen?

2. I have no idea where this Mario RPG series character came from, as I have never played a game or watched much of anyone play anything outside SMRPG and a very small amount of TTYD that I watched from GameGrumps. He's probably not even real, but if you guys know of or find anything that is similar to this let me know so I can freak out even more that I dreamt this up.

3. Geno having a purple-blue laser sword could possibly be attributed to me playing through Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep before I fell out. I'm currently beating Aqua's story and I got her Bladecharge which, when triggered, makes a giant purple-ish light blade extend from her keyblade. I assume Geno being 'edge-i-fied' would attribute to me fear that if we do get him that he SOMEHOW won't be properly referenced to even though it's mf Sakurai and Crew working on this so he would, although he did look kinda badass. Also the FS cinematic has no reference I can think of other than Super Vegito, the rest is just my imagination going to town.

4. I'm never eating Crockpot Lasagna with Kraft Paw Patrol Mac N Cheese right before bed EVER again, even if that dream was wild.
So from what I've gathered.... they made Geno an anime swordsman?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So one other point that I wanted to point out before in my list of reasons I think Geno has less of a chance is that he didn't make the base roster. Ridley made it, K. Rool made it, but not Geno or any other big character from back in the Melee/Brawl days.

Now you may argue that '3rd parties are more difficult to deal with and are more likely for DLC' and while this is true for certain companies, I give you all the 3rd party that made it into the base roster: :ultsnake:, :ultsonic:, :ultmegaman:, :ultpacman:, :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, :ultken:. Sure, there is reasoning behind all of them, but remember that the reasoning Sakurai gave for Simon is that he 'placed high in the Ballot.' As we know from mock polls going on during that time, there is no chance that Simon placed extremely high in the polls and whether or not :ultbayonetta: was actually a winner or previously planned and had lots of votes so they picked her is irrelevant here because we saw the K. Rool campaigns and we know who was likely in the top ten, yet only Simon is mentioned as being a Ballot pick? This leads me to believe that it wasn't just the ballot placing but also company negotiations, and we know that Konami loves to play game with Sakurai when it comes to Smash.

While this would seemingly lead towards Geno being potential DLC, this added in with my previous points really makes it seem like Geno's chances are slim to none and we will have to be happy with our Spirit.

I was gonna post all this on Christmas Day but I decided to just relax and do much of nothing, and low and behold the man, the myth, the legend who should REALLY get a Golden Sun-themed intro for his videos...@Billybae10K drops his next Rate Their Chances vid and tackles both BWD and Geno. I'll link it here, but honestly it's just more of what I had said, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who is paying attention to the overwhelming signs of Geno's chances falling off dramatically. My only issue with @Billybae10K is that he keeps addressing Sora as a 'Square Rep' when it's been proven time and again that he's a Disney Rep. Sure, they have to get Nomura's blessing, but Sakurai and Nomura are buds so that's not very difficult. It's just like a Trademark, essentially: Disney didn't make him, but they 100% own him and everything Kingdom Hearts.

------------------------------------------------------------

Now comes the part where I will address counter points, because I feel it's rude to just ignore points people make against your arguments, as well as it making you a weak debater. This first one is more of a snarky response though....

Hmm, it's almost like I address this already...I'm just teasing, but I was referring to this interview when I mentioned Sakurai did have some involvement with Spirits. I guess I'm more to blame for not including a link, but the interview had been out for a while so I assumed everyone knew what I was referring to.

This is points towards Geno being just a Spirit if you ask me: Mario has incarnations like Gold Mario and Metal Mario and Cat Mario, etc etc. These are all separate variations of Mario, and if you believe the theory that all the Smash variations of our favorite characters are not the versions from their original series but more like spin-off versions like in the countless Sports games, then this helps Geno because there is only one version of Geno, thus the Smash playable Geno would be a different Geno. If you don't believe it and believe that the Smash fighters are the original characters, then Geno has no chance.

Sure, but not all Spirit Battles are equal in terms of effort put behind them. Some are cute, some are '...yeah, I guess I can see it', and some are 'Wow, they really put some effort into this one!' I feel like most of the Legendary Spirits probably fall under that last one, and Geno is no exception.

Uhh...Square Enix =/= Atlus or Sega? Just because Square only lets Sakurai have two versions of Cloud for Spirits doesn't mean EVERY company will be like that. Also there already are 3rd party Spirits for characters that likely will never make it, like the Rabbids and Sonic characters, and none of those seem to be hinting at anyone. In fact, if we had datamined a Persona Spirit before the Joker reveal, we would barely be having this discussion, not at all if that Spirit was Joker.

Ridley and King K. Rool are both first party, so they both had less hurdles to jump to get into Smash. Also, before someone brings up Simon and Richter, I will again mention Konami plays nicer with their IPs and characters for Smash than Square ever will in their lifetime as a company.

Woof, I never noticed that my first read-through, but he does kinda lump them all together, doesn't he?

This is slightly misleading: Fighter Spirits are nothing but trophies/stickers and literally do nothing, but you can also win functional Spirits through Classic Mode as well. Just because a playable fighter has a Spirit that does nothing doesn't mean that Spirits that do something don't deconfirm characters.

With all this addressed, I would like to point out three interesting things I have found.

1. Geno and Mallow are listed as Mario Spirits, not falling under the category 'Other' despite being Square characters. I get that they are essentially Mario characters to us, but the fact that Nintendo considers them Mario characters too is interesting to say the least...either that or anyone who breathes Mario's air is considered a Mario character.

2. Petey Piranha is a Spirit, twice: he upgrades from Nipper Plant and also has a Super Strikers Spirit, and we all know he is part of Piranha Plant's FS. Of course this checks out with the Super Sonic Spirit as well, I just thought this was an interesting tidbit.

3. Possibly the most important, we must remember that for the DLC characters we have seen so far, they have at least no Spirits of themselves (Piranha Plant) and at most no Spirits from their entire franchise (Joker). Of course things can change, but if the next character reveal either doesn't have a Spirit of themselves OR a Spirit from their franchise at all, I can confidently say we should apply the 'third time's the charm' adage and figure that is a telling sign of who is DLC and who isn't. It feels like we are once again in a state where the next reveal tells all.
K. Rool was mentioned by Sakurai being chosen from the Ballot because of how well he did in it. Simon wasn't the only one he mentioned that was taken from the Ballot.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

The me in the dream was just so excited that he didn't care, but the me watching the dream was like 'Aww no, the edge-i-fied him! Why, Nintendo, WHY?!' The other Mario character emerged from the rubble and glared angrily at Geno, and then from Geno's missing hand he formed A GIANT PURPLE AND BLUE SWORD and charged into battle. We then get a highlight reel of his moveset and it's mostly melee attacks with only a couple of cool moves that feel like the Geno we know like finger shots and shooting off his fist. Also at one point his model is pixelated like he's part of Rivals of AEther or something, but it wasn't permanent so I can't tell you what that was about. Then at the end he has his final Smash and it's pretty badass: it's fully cinematic after he charges and grabs then and takes them both to Star Hill via some sort of teleportation. He then does a barrage of attacks that have slashes from the sword in between, but then he does a flip over them and lights them up with finger bullets from the one hand and does a samurai-esq slash back through them. As they are stunned he turns around and fires his fist off and it hits them in the face and sends them reeling. He then slashes them again and kicks them towards the fist, which opens and grabs then by the shoulder and returns them to Geno and as the fist locks in place you can see that Geno pierces the, with his sword. He then lifts them up while still pierced by the sword and flicks them off a la Super Vegito style and then he absorbs energy from the wish stars on Star Hill and fires off a Geno Beam on the level of a Samus Zero Laser then just as that beam ends it looks like he fires off another smaller beam but it's actually the sword, which pierces them through and then it cuts to the game and they die off hitting the blast zone.

He then does a pose, but it's not his arm-crossed nod but one with his back facing the camera and him looking up towards the sky with both his regular arm and sword arm by his sides.

Gimme some of that Mac and Cheese man.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
All I have to say to this entire dream is this:

I can't believe they made Geno a ****ing Jedi.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So, uh, I'm not sure if this makes my SNK character wish any likelier or not.

Reggie doll moments are always funny ones, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom