• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You can add me to that list, too! I will support Geno no matter what, and even if he doesn't happen in this wave, let's hope for a second or for other, miscellaneous DLC where our boy might happen otherwise, yeah? If not any of that, let's hope for a revival... and in the end, at least we will always keep Geno's flame burning bright! I love how this fanbase keeps his legacy going!

Aw heck, forgot to add: Merry Christmas, everyone!!

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yeah, you can add me too if I'm not there already. The funny thing is that despite my defense of Erdrick and Dragon Quest, he is actually my least hyped of the Square Magnificent Seven and Geno is my most. I would still love to see Geno in even if I believe his chances are low.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Merry Christmas everyone! Try to stay off the boards and online today. Try to make some memories. If you're alone, make some calls, send some texts. Maybe dust off an old console. I talked about this back in November but one of the staying powers of this fanbase is frosted window panes, gaming in your pajamas, and the grand things in life that never get old even as we do. Remember that nothing's forever either and that these boards will be here tomorrow so take some time to focus on what's important. "Through the years we'll always be together, if the Fates allow." Thank you all for being great comrades not only during this cycle but the 13 years we've been pressing on and I hope that you all have a great day.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just got Smash for Christmas so I can see what all the hubbub is with this game now

...Although I still need to buy a switch

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
So I just cleaned my original smrpg cartridge I found a few days ago (quick clean anyway, I still got to seriously clean everything on the outside better) cleaned the pins with brasso then alcohol (crazy as it sounds, brasso is amazing at cleaning the teeth on old game cartridges, just remember to use alcohol afterwards to get the chalky dust off after) and I’m happy to report that it works...mostly. Since I did just a really quick clean, I could tell there’s still corrosion on the connectors,as i did have to try a few times inserting and reinserting the cartridge before it worked.

And it had all my saves still from the last time I played it which was...probably when i was 16-17? What’s funny is back then I attempted the same run I did a few months ago on the snes Classic, i named that file “magic” to basically remind me that i was only gonna boost the special attack/def.

Of course, that battery doesn’t have much time left unfortunately, I know if I probably play this original a bit more I’ll wake up and find all the data gone, so now comes the part where I decide if I want to change the battery or not. I now have two copies (not counting digital versions) of smrpg, smw, and dkc. I’m wondering if I should swap out the batteries on the extra copies at least, since those weren’t my originals so I’m not too worried about screwing something up now on those. Also it would give me something to test on since the battery holders I bought don’t quite match the snes/nes and oot’s pcb(thankfully that’s the only n64 game with a battery I own), so I’ve got to think of some way to force em to work...that or try ordering new holders online that fit better. I did get one working on Zelda 2 by running wire directly from the board to the holder and it works fine, but the nes games have so much space in em that this was easy.

Annnnywaaay...enough rambling, happy holidays everyone.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Merry Christmas everyone! Try to stay off the boards and online today. Try to make some memories. If you're alone, make some calls, send some texts. Maybe dust off an old console. I talked about this back in November but one of the staying powers of this fanbase is frosted window panes, gaming in your pajamas, and the grand things in life that never get old even as we do. Remember that nothing's forever either and that these boards will be here tomorrow so take some time to focus on what's important. "Through the years we'll always be together, if the Fates allow." Thank you all for being great comrades not only during this cycle but the 13 years we've been pressing on and I hope that you all have a great day.
Merry Christmas to you too, my dude.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you all are spending good quality time with loved ones and if that’s not possible having an enjoyable time doing whatever else brings you joy in life!

D

Deleted member

Merry Christmas Genobros! You all are the best, and I hope you have a relaxing Christmas and winter break

Potatu

Smash Apprentice

Ovaltine

Smash Master
After some thinking, I've come to the conclusion that I personally don't think Geno is coming to the fighter's pass at all, but even so, my hope has not dwindled because of the prospect of DLC outside of the pass.

Think about it. Geno would be a very easy character to implement. Sakurai need only work off of the Mii costume model that he's already made, and it's clear that he had Geno on the mind as early as the beginning of Ultimate's development and planning. Along with that, Geno is a Mario character. Would it suck if we got him with SMRPG music patched in, but absolutely no new stage to coincide with that? It kind of would, but it's in no way a necessity. We already have a lot of Mario stages as is. As for the music, Yoko Shimomura and Square are already on the Smash team in varying ways. It'd be very easy to get the music rights and use it there.

What I'm saying is... Geno doesn't even need to be in the fighter's pass. He doesn't need all of the bells and whistles of being packed in with other characters with new music (including remixes) and a new stage. Being a Mario character, having him as extra DLC would be absolutely workable for him as opposed to being in the big, fancy pack. Perhaps he could be a bonus, or he could be packaged with the re-released third party Mii costumes as a driving point to make those sell more, given he'd be an upgraded Mii costume to fighter situation. Do that, maybe with just some ported, non-remixed SMRPG tracks, and he's set to go.

What if Fighter's Pass isn't all that we're getting? Miscellaneous DLC could always be a possibility. After all, we know Sakurai loves to pull fast ones on us, as he has many times in the past. Who knows? Maybe if not for FIghter's Pass, Geno's ease of obtaining rights might actually be his ticket in through other means.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am pretty confident about Geno being one of the DLC fighters. He has so many stage options, I think he should come with one. Maybe one of the reasons he wasn't in the base roster was so that Sakurai could have more time to work on him and his stage?

Just some food for thought

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
After some thinking, I've come to the conclusion that I personally don't think Geno is coming to the fighter's pass at all, but even so, my hope has not dwindled because of the prospect of DLC outside of the pass.

Think about it. Geno would be a very easy character to implement. Sakurai need only work off of the Mii costume model that he's already made, and it's clear that he had Geno on the mind as early as the beginning of Ultimate's development and planning. Along with that, Geno is a Mario character. Would it suck if we got him with SMRPG music patched in, but absolutely no new stage to coincide with that? It kind of would, but it's in no way a necessity. We already have a lot of Mario stages as is. As for the music, Yoko Shimomura and Square are already on the Smash team in varying ways. It'd be very easy to get the music rights and use it there.

What I'm saying is... Geno doesn't even need to be in the fighter's pass. He doesn't need all of the bells and whistles of being packed in with other characters with new music (including remixes) and a new stage. Being a Mario character, having him as extra DLC would be absolutely workable for him as opposed to being in the big, fancy pack. Perhaps he could be a bonus, or he could be packaged with the re-released third party Mii costumes as a driving point to make those sell more, given he'd be an upgraded Mii costume to fighter situation. Do that, maybe with just some ported, non-remixed SMRPG tracks, and he's set to go.

What if Fighter's Pass isn't all that we're getting? Miscellaneous DLC could always be a possibility. After all, we know Sakurai loves to pull fast ones on us, as he has many times in the past. Who knows? Maybe if not for FIghter's Pass, Geno's ease of obtaining rights might actually be his ticket in through other means.
That would make a lot of sense, especially if you take what PokéfreakofBACON PokéfreakofBACON 's knowledge of ID slots into consideration:

Initially, Smash 4 had 9 unused IDs in the data. As Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were added, they each took up 1 ID, leaving 5 left. However, they put another empty ID in the data around this point, so there were actually 6 left. Then Corrin, Cloud, and Bayonetta all took up 2 IDs each. Corrin had a male and female version, Cloud had 2 outfits, and Bayonetta had different hairstyles/colors/outfits, based on Bayonetta 1 & 2. After those three were added, there were zero empty IDs left.

To explain how it could happen with Ultimate, we're starting with 29. Let's say the first fighter pass comes out, and all 5 characters have 2 different versions, such as an alternate gender version, or a different outfit or something, like Joker with or without a mask, for example. If that happened, we'd still have 19 slots left. If they added, say, 5 echo fighters, one of which took up 2 IDs, then we'd have 13 left, which is still enough for a second fighter pass. (third if you counted those echos as a fighter pass.)

They could also (maybe) release new outfits for current characters, and those MIGHT take up IDs, depending on how complicated they are. If they just added back fire flower mario or black yoshi, that wouldn't take up a new ID. If they added a pokemon trainer alt skin where they dress up as Team rocket, and all of the pokemon wear sunglasses, that would probably take up four. (Disclaimer: I'm not sure how Pokemon Trainer's IDs work entirely, but I'm assuming they take up 5. One for Red, one for Leaf, one for Squirtle, one for Ivysaur, and one for Charizard.)

If the first fighter pass has the remaining 4 characters with 8 IDs, assuming Joker takes 1, that'd be 32, which is obviously more than what's in there. Not to mention, all 5 characters pulling a Bowser Jr. is highly unlikely. Through reasonable deduction, we can say that we're going to get at least 2 fighter passes, maybe even more. Unless, of course, they don't follow the trend of Smash 4, which I admit is possible, but unlikely.

Does that make sense or am I sounding like a crazy person? lmao
Heck, the fact that you can play music for a specific series on any stage associated to it now is a huge boon, especially with those who like the idea of Rosalina being linked to Geno.

link2702

Smash Champion
So a bit of an odd question y’all...sorry it’s off topic a bit....

So my original copy of Super Mario Kart is probably the cartridge in the worst condition(well, next to a copy of super Metroid a friend just straight up gave me because he didn’t like it and he was a bit of a rich kid so it wasn’t uncommon for him to abuse his carts, and just straight up throw em away, anyway...) the label is completely destroyed, because I tore off that glossy film and scratched the sticker mostly off because I got angry at the ai in 150cc mode one day. Needless to say it’s gotten even more hideous over the years, and while the cart itself is fine, that hideous worn sticker is an eyesore.

Should I bother printing a new label? Or keep as is?

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
A theory for Christmas.

- Sakurai went on record expressing his love for Persona 5.
- Joker is from Persona 5.
- Reggie claimed that Joker's inclusion is "emblematic" of the character selection this time around.
- What if, to repay Sakurai for all his hard work throughout the years, Nintendo is including characters that Sakurai likes?
- What if the characters that Sakurai likes are the "emblems" Reggie spoke of?

VERY optimistic but definitely something to keep in the back of your mind just in case.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

So my original copy of Super Mario Kart is probably the cartridge in the worst condition(well, next to a copy of super Metroid a friend just straight up gave me because he didn’t like it and he was a bit of a rich kid so it wasn’t uncommon for him to abuse his carts, and just straight up throw em away, anyway...) the label is completely destroyed, because I tore off that glossy film and scratched the sticker mostly off because I got angry at the ai in 150cc mode one day. Needless to say it’s gotten even more hideous over the years, and while the cart itself is fine, that hideous worn sticker is an eyesore.

If you do care about esthetic then yes, however labels are pretty cheap

D

Deleted member

Keep as is!

Throw me in the list as well! (Sorry I've been out for a while)
You have been added :)

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I am pretty confident about Geno being one of the DLC fighters. He has so many stage options, I think he should come with one. Maybe one of the reasons he wasn't in the base roster was so that Sakurai could have more time to work on him and his stage?

Just some food for thought
Realistically, that could be said for very many characters, so I doubt that's the reason. Plus, it'd make more sense from a business perspective to keep Geno as DLC separate from Ridley and K Rool because his fanbase, while large, is significantly smaller and doesn't appeal to casual fans nearly as much. Geno is way more niche than the characters in the base roster that weren't obscure veterans (*ehem* Roy), and I think Joker is enough proof that these niche choices were included as DLC.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
I'd like to be added in as well. Also, happy holidays, hopefully you guys had a great Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom