• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Panda mentioned in the other thread having only heard of "SE DLC, Minecraft and two Namco names." Thinking about it, if it's not Geno or Banjo, then Lloyd is the only one I can think of that makes sense as a character that "Boomers" would love, but "Zoomers" would get annoyed at, seeing him as yet another anime swordsman in a cast full of them. Makes more sense than Banjo or Geno in that regard: I can't imagine either of those two getting anyone riled up beyond maybe a "who?" reaction.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
We will get Ragna the Bloodedge.
The most anime of the anime, the most sword of the sword man, and the most edge of the bloodedge.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Let's just hope Nintendo is lazy/cheap and realized Geno was the easiest character fiscally.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I've never played the Tales games, but Lloyd has TWO ANIME SWORDS instead of ONE. We can let him in the roster for this alone.

It's the same reason I want Elma. She might be another person with swords, but you can go from swords to guns to giant fricking mech.

Not all anime swordsmen and women are equal, little crybabies.

D

Deleted member

So, it could be:

- StarTropics
- James Bond
- Announcer yelling the name of the game at the end of the intro
- Tails
- Battletoads
- Metal Mario
- Playable Master Hand
- A mode
- Lloyd Irving

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
To me, Crono would make little sense. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Chrono Trigger, but if given the option between two characters from the SNES who are in similar situations, why go for the lesser popular character who also is a swordwielder? Geno might not be the main character in his game, but he is significantly more popular and demanded than Crono. Plus I think he would be significantly more unique.
I mean I agree, but there's no other SE character that I would want besides those two if Geno wasn't chosen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Any chance you could PM me what you know? Haven't been super active in the Geno threads throughout the years but I've been doing character speculation for a decade and I'd like to think I can keep a secret.
I respect the alumni in this thread but I don't make that decision. There's a ladder: Polar approves but tells me to use my own judgement afterwards but usually only if his source approves and then possibly extended from that if their sources approve. I think you can count the confidants here on one hand and I was chosen because I was a mod twice in the past. Again, no disrespect is meant.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
To me, Crono would make little sense. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Chrono Trigger, but if given the option between two characters from the SNES who are in similar situations, why go for the lesser popular character who also is a swordwielder? Geno might not be the main character in his game, but he is significantly more popular and demanded than Crono. Plus I think he would be significantly more unique.
Yeah. Crono would be cool of course, but I think the only way he'd get in is if Square is making a new Chrono Trigger for Switch. Geno just makes more sense and is the character Sakurai would go for if it was up to him, unless Square said no for whatever reason

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm honestly feeling nervous who the SE rep will be. I'm hoping we get our answers soon.
Same. I literally had trouble sleeping tonight I'm actually that worried over a silly little video game. (I mean in Geno's chances it's basically now or never... yeesh)

If they're picks that players "must have" as it puts it, I'd expect those to be the last we'd ever get. in fact, I think that statement bodes well for Geno and any other fan favorite/fan demand character.
Well hey, we got Ridley, we got K Rool.

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice could you say if this Boomer Character has had a support thread before?

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I mean I agree, but there's no other SE character that I would want besides those two if Geno wasn't chosen.
I’m not disputing that, just merely stating my thoughts. Like I said, I loved Chrono Trigger and would take Crono over DQ any day. But I’d feel a bit cheated if they went to an older, obscure character who WASN’T Geno.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Popeye is a playable character.
The problem with this is Popeye's rights are a mess. In some countries he is Public Domain and in others he's still held by a certain company or person.

The moment he goes public domain everywhere though is when Sakurai should add him as the next WTF character. Dude is only responsible for the creation of Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pauline.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
As a late-ish "millennial" (at least, assuming that's what 1995 counts as. I actually find that Lloyd and the Tales games as a whole seem to be more popular with my various "Zoomer" friends.
I the character in question is another Namco character, my money is on Heihachi, since he's more era appropriate and was said by Sakurai to not be possible for Smash 4, meaning most people would've given up on him right then and there.
But that's just my two cents.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
On break from work. Congrats GenoBro Family! We zipped by the Brawl Thread of old and on to better days!

Also it WAS a character hint. Obviously not the Square character, but a character that someone like me (guy in his 30s) would love and the younger crowd would hate...

IDK my first guess might be in the ball park. 1990's to early 2000's must be where this character is from. Maybe even Mid 2000's

D

Deleted member

The problem with this is Popeye's rights are a mess. In some countries he is Public Domain and in others he's still held by a certain company or person.

The moment he goes public domain everywhere though is when Sakurai should add him as the next WTF character. Dude is only responsible for the creation of Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pauline.
Getting the rights to him is easier than getting the rights to a DQ character

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Going into specifics is too much of a silver bullet but the alternative is that, as a Muddy Mole fan, I know definitively that pretty much every character that people could possibly want has had a support thread at some point. Hell, I think I remember the individual Koopalings having support threads at one point.

Add in: if Popeye was in, I'd tell the world. IDGAF. Jokes on you, Nintendo Ninjas, I'll just play as him when I get out of prison in 2030.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Yeah, and that won't happen until what? The mid-2020s or 30s at best. Going to be a long wait until then.

Going into specifics is too much of a silver bullet but the alternative is that, as a Muddy Mole fan, I know definitively that pretty much every character that people could possibly want has had a support thread at some point. Hell, I think I remember the individual Koopalings having support having support at one point.
Except Duke Nukem. Nobody bets on the duke.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Going into specifics is too much of a silver bullet but the alternative is that, as a Muddy Mole fan, I know definitively that pretty much every character that people could possibly want has had a support thread at some point. Hell, I think I remember the individual Koopalings having support having support at one point.
I will make a Popeye support thread

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
peekybird on Twitter is hunting at something big happening at the game awards that is "world changing" I think theyve been correct before so maybe theres something to it...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean I guess that one company that uses him to sell spinach might be all ''The kids will definitely buy our spinach if we let him smash these bros."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
IDK about that

Reminder that popeye was supposed to be in Roger Rabbit but ended up not being in

D

Deleted member

IDK about that

Reminder that popeye was supposed to be in Roger Rabbit but ended up not being in
I know it might be difficult to get the rights to him, but I am sure it's easier to get the rights to him than a DQ character. At least he isn't an anime swordsman

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
As a late-ish "millennial" (at least, assuming that's what 1995 counts as. I actually find that Lloyd and the Tales games as a whole seem to be more popular with my various "Zoomer" friends.
I the character in question is another Namco character, my money is on Heihachi, since he's more era appropriate and was said by Sakurai to not be possible for Smash 4, meaning most people would've given up on him right then and there.
This. I really don't consider Lloyd to be a "boomer" character.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hoping this info on "only one shill character" means that the Nintendo guy actually knows how most of the fans feel and isn't tone-deaf like Nintendo usually is when it comes to Smash.

"we love surprises" "Piranha Plant" "as a fan, I would not miss these for the world."

inb4 the "shill" character is actually Ninten and he's promoting Mother 1+2+3.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Personally, I think it could be Klonoa. It all lines up, older character, people basically gave up on him and barely gets support by Ultimate, and recent fans wouldn't care much for him.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm pretty sure I made one in the Brawl days. Whether it was here or Nsider I don't remember.
You did. I remember it. I use to help you defend your thought process of why you wanted him in Smash Bros.

You've always been "the Popeye guy" to me.

Last edited:

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Smash Bros character speculation feels like the Akinator of video game characters; the more people who feed it the more impossible it is to find a newcomer no one has mentioned. I myself have found my speculation drift to Howard and Nester from the old Nintendo Power magazines maybe not as playable but as MC's or something. They both did appear in games so they technically qualify.

Also I feel like I'm one of the few in this thread satisfied just knowing some of y'all are in the know and that's enough to tide me over until an official announcement. Getting spoiled is no fun just in my opinion, but just a general jist of "yeah you should look forward to it" or "nah, don't get your hopes up" is good enough for me.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Personally, I think it could be Klonoa. It all lines up, older character, people basically gave up on him and barely gets support by Ultimate, and recent fans wouldn't care much for him.
I wouldn't mind Klonoa actually. Only played one of his games on PS2, but it was fun and he would fit in well in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom