• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Oooh Pikmin is one of the few Nintendo franchises I've never gotten around to playing... I know I could easily just Google this but I'd rather here from someone's own experience here, what type of game is Pikmin?
It's pretty fun. Got my brother addicted and he's not really a huge gamer.

Essentially the game is a scavenger hunt with an element of real time strategy with you managing your small army and trying to keep too many from dying in the face of danger. There's also puzzle solving as some of your little guys can do special things depending on their colors.

I've only got to play 1 and 3 and a tiny bit of 2. I still think the 1st one is best, It's on the shorter side and has a time limit, but I think the time crunch and short length is what made the game addictive for me, trying to see how much better I could do on the next run, and not getting too burnt out to do another run because the main story wasn't exceedingly long.

I definitely recommend checking the games out, it's for sure one of Nintendo's better franchises and I can see why it has such a strong following.

Side note, I feel like there is a ton of overlap between Pikmin fans and Paper Mario fans specifically... just my observation.

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
one thing that I haven't seen people take note of is that when the smash website shows off the series of each fighter, it uses the Final Fantasy VII and Bayonetta 2 logo instead of using the Final Fantasy or Bayonetta logo as a whole. So i feel like that would mean we wouldnt get another Final Fantasy character that isnt from VII (like Terra). So with Sephiroth rumored, it can kinda play into this. I’m not sure if you guys even have an opinion on this I just wanted to point that out LOL

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My face after catching up on the past 20+ pages of discussion.

Well... congrats on hitting 400 pages, and all that. (Also, hi, /v/. Put me in the screencap, if you will.)

And since pie chat is still live, chicken pot pie holds a special place in my heart and is unlikely to ever be dethroned in that regard. Call me a casual, but the only pie that comes close is pizza pie, if we're even counting that.

I have a question for everyone. Do you guys select your main based on your favorite character or whoever's playstyle you like? As you might be able to tell, I chose my mains based on my favorite characters, and coincidentally I love their playstyle.
For me, it's a little bit of both. I naturally gravitate towards characters I'm familiar with - that's why I almost exclusively played as the Pokemon in Melee, namely Mewtwo, even though he was pure **** in that game - though I also enjoy playing some characters whose games I've never even played, like G&W and R.O.B., just because I think they're kooky and fun to play as. For my main, though, it definitely has to be a character I have a special connection with in order for me to stay invested, that being why Mewtwo, my favorite Pokemon and one of my favorite characters since childhood, is my loyalty main. Of course, if Geno gets in, I'll demote Mewtwo to secondary in a heartbeat even if he's the ****tiest, most awkward character in the game, but even if he doesn't, I'll gladly settle for maining Mewtwo again. He looks dumb good in this game anyway. (Then again, who doesn't?)

Last edited:

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
Goodnight Geno bros! Hopefully more info comes out tomorrow that hints towards our Doll boy.

Well.. i haven't posted here in quite a while...

*read all the pages i've missed in the Geno thread*...

Why the hell am i starving now!?! I really want to eat pie for some reason...
Meatpie seems to be underrated if not totally forgotten in here... btw we have this one called 'tourtière' here in Québec it's incredible (obviously my favorite).

Aslo cheesecake is theoretically a pie because of the crust, i know... it doesn't make any sense to call it cheesecake. I guess you could try to make it in the form of a cake, without crust but science is not there yet, it's uncharted territory so proceed at your own risks.
It's great to see that there's still hope for our boi, it's also great to see more and more supporters in here!

I don't have anything to say really about the whole PolarPanda saga/arc, the list is a good thing to have for speculation purposes tho.

Geno still have a chance and it's all that matters for me.
**** i knew it !!
I recoreded this strange conversation we had at some point, he kept talking about minerals and overlords, i should have warned someone...
Too late i guess... we're probably already part of the swarm :p
Also, happy 400 pages fellow :starman:Genobros:starman:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
WARNING!! LONG POST INCOMING

It's because the GS franchise is pretty much dead, apparently. Geno at least has a shot because he is tied to the Mario RPG franchise as a whole, which include the Mario & Luigi games, which are still going strong. (And he's heavily tied to Mario's history). GS was definitely big for the GBA-era and DS era to a smaller extent, but he's not quite considered retro yet or anything. He got an AT and mii costume to compensate his fans. Apparently NoA did NOT expect the backlash.
That's...strange. And interesting. Remember tht GameFAQs link I posted a while back imply that NoJ had the ballot? Didn't Isaac place well on the ballot? He places pretty high on fanpolls out here too. I guess yeah you could argue the legitimacy of GS as being strictly GBA and DS games. Any evidence of any GBA or DS only games making it in as reps?

Anyone think this fact hurts Geno's chances? I know Geno is attached to Mario and is technically retro, but idk...still not sure one way of the other.

Well, I blanked out his name. He seems to be offline and I can't get ahold of him, but he's told me numerous time he doesn't mind me sharing his info, so long as I don't give his name out. This is what my source sent me today (also, don't judge Discord light theme :( also, I was the Sabi person he was tagging, haha)
View attachment 180462

"Small" group of Isaac fans...? What? If theyre small then...what about us? It's a little difficult for me to believe they think the Isaac fanbase is smaller than the Geno fanbase. However, I love the counterargument that because Geno is connected to Mario series, he still has a fighting shot. (pun intended) Still gives me hope!! Maybe if NoA was taken aback by the disappointment, NoJ would take measures to avoid this by giving us Geno? He also said "still only" which is interesting as that implies thats always his intention. Cool to get to know a little more about his mindset.

Also, I've taken the liberty to list (filtering out non-name/party characters) the list of returning and new Mii Costumes for ultimate (according to the datamine leaks which interestingly enough didn't include Rex, but I added him at the bottom), now also adding in what I assume is added in for compensation. I also placed an asterisk next to each Mii Costume returning from Smash 4.

1. Ashley (AT)*
2. Black Knight (AT)*
Captain Falcon (Fighter)*
4. Chibi Robo (Compensation?)
5. Chrom (Fighter)*
6. Ray MK III (Compensation?)
7. Dunban (FS)*
8. Flying Man (SH)*

9. Isabelle (Fighter)*
10. King K. Rool (Fighter)*
11. KK Slider (Stage Background)*
12. Link (Fighter)*
Champion (?)
14. Lip (AT?)
15. Builder Mario (Fighter ALT)
16. Viridi (PaluGuidance)*
17. Nia (...who?)
18. Ribbon Girl (Compensation?)
19. Isaac (Compensation)
20. Saki Amamiya (Compensation?)

21. Samus (Fighter)*
22. Skull Kid (AT)*
23. Inkling (Fighter)*
24. Spring Man (AT)
25. Fox (Fighter)*
26. Takamaru (AT)*
27. Toad (Part of Peach moveset)*

28. Rex (Implied Compensation)

Highlighting all of the costumes I think are compensation in goldish yellow, and looking at the returning characters, it makes sense that the Isaac costume is compensation. Remember, Sakurai gave us the Geno costume as compensation. That's practically what he said. And if you look at returning characters from Smash 4, several of them got upgrades into Ultimate, and also some of them were probably "compensation" in Smash 4. (Black Knight, Inkling, Chrom, Zero, MegaMen, King K. Rool, Takamaru, Akira, Geno) I think the "compensation" characters this round: Chibi Robo, Ray MK III, Ribbon Girl, Isaac, Saki, Rex all reflect characters wanted in but couldn't get in as a fighter. Since all the 3rd party reps except Square and Bandai Namco have their characters in game in some way shape or form as MODELS (Akira, Rathalos, Zero, Wily [presumably replcing Elec Man], Knuckles this could be good for our boi.

You know, and this may seem off topic, but your icon really personifies you in a way I can't quite place into words. Does anyone else get that feeling?
I FEEL THE EXACT SAME WAY. Especially about PolarPanda, to the point where it was weird seing a different icon for him on discord.

Meant "suggestions" rather for the wording, but you get my meaning.
Another thing to consider is that we've known for a while now Sakurai is buds with Yuji Horii (Dragon Quest's creator) and there's still that old Nintendo Dream round-table discussion from August 2016 that I've had a hard time overlooking possible relevance to Smash way before Ultimate was ever even revealed.
I guess my point is don't jump the hype gun yet and assume Geno will be it.
We still don't know what's goin' on for sure and it's hard to ignore certain aspects and possibilities that could've made Dragon Quest get the nod.
"Hype responsibly" as the saying goes.

I'm neutral about who in that list is actually it (if true) since anyone from that list of Square Enix characters could actually be really fun and bring something different to the table for different fans.
Geno gettin' in would be cathartic, absolutely. But Dragon Quest gettin' in would be too for not just fans of the series, but people who feel it's just oddly missing among Smash's "video game history" aspect it has goin' on.
You say you're neutral but idk.....seem a little TOO for DQ to me lol

Partly kidding. But you have a good point here. This could hint at a DQ meeting before DLC was even confirmed. However, still gotta go thru Armor Project and Square. Not to say is impossible tho.

I know Geno would make a lot of people happy, and I'd quite like to see him in the game, but there's a lot against him.

I heard Geno's name from multiple sources, but each of them had the same thing to say, which boiled down to "the Square character isn't Geno". There are other reasons which I'd prefer not to share (enough info I don't want to come out has found it's way out). On top of all of that, there are a lot of things pointing to a different character.
Just a question, not an attack. Earlier when you said this (on gamefaqs i think?) you said something similar but instead of there's a lot against him, it was a definitive not Geno. Is there a reason you're less sure outside of your sources all saying its a red herring, or am I tin foiling here?

Do you have a source on this? I heard Yermum was cut due to a ***** error.
Am I...am I gonna be the only one to-
I'll do it-
Because i mean how did you all miss-

....What's *****?

I was directly told that Nintendo operators got hate calls over Isaac just the same as they did with Waluigi. If there is a wave 2 (since wave 1 WON'T) with AT promotions, Waluigi or Isaac would definitely be first. Then Skull Kid.
Or I could definitely see it being Matthew, to avoid promoting an AT and having to take an asset out. Matthew could even make DLC if the situation is dire enough. Matthew is pretty much Isaac and is only a Spirit.

I have a terrible, strange hypothetical thet just popped into my head.

It’s Spring of 2020. The pass has just completed a couple months ago, without Geno as part of it. At the end of a Nintendo Direct, a Smash character trailer starts out of nowhere.

As it turns out, Nintendo has decided to take two of the most-requested Mario-series characters... and combine them. Enter Waluigeno, literally just Waluigi in Geno’s cloak and a small gun on his arm, with all of Geno’s expected moveset(including timed hits) but also Waluigi’s racket and stomp.

How would you take this news? Excitement that the moveset at least got in? Horrified at the amalgamation? Something in-between?
Yuck. Worse than Geno Mii Costume or Geno AT lmaoooo

Honestly, the reaction to the Grinch leak has put Nintendo in a weird place when it comes to DLC.

If that leak never happened, they could have shoved basically any Square character at the fans, and while Geno supporters would be quite disappointed that it wasn’t him, the majority would be satisfied.

But no, instead we had a full week-and-a-half where basically the majority of the gaming Internet(thanks to news sites publicizing the leak far and wide) legitimately believed that Geno was in. And then it turned out that not only was Geno not in, we essentially knew about all the characters since mid-September. And on top of that, the two characters(not counting Ken) that seemed the most likely from the leak were deconfirned as ATs, while three others were nothing more than .PNGs in a glorified Event Match/gacha mode.

Since that leak happened and got everyone’s hopes up, now anything besides Geno and Banjo is going to feel like a massive letdown for a pretty sizable group of people that believed that they were really, finally happening a month ago, even ones that never really followed either character too closely. Especially if we get DQ and Steve instead, there’d effectively be riots.

(For another contender, I’d personally expect Crono to be about 60% well-received, with an extra 40% mix of “Er, did anyone really request him?”, “Really, another anime swordsman?”, and “Come on, where’s Geno?”)
I wonder how much the Grinch leak helped any of those potential characters for DLC...I agree that ALMOST anything less than that will feel like a letdown. I feel like Geno and Banjo would be special cases as let downs because they were requested before the grinch leak. (I myself wasn't too keen on Shadow and Ken but they cool I guess) and I don't think anyone was really clamoring for Mach Rider.

TL:DR
1. Isaac has a huge fanbase, hard to see us being exponentially larger and it didnt work to get him in. Worries me. The argument that Geno is attached to Mario, thus still safe in this regard is very reassuring.

2. List of all "Compensation" Mii fighters and their connection to Smash as well as "compensation" Mii Fighter Costumes for Smash 4 and how that correlates to no 3rd party costumes in Ultimate.

3. What's *****? (It's the joke isnt it?)

4. Speculation on how much the Grinch Leak may have impacted DLC.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
WARNING!! LONG POST INCOMING

That's...strange. And interesting. Remember tht GameFAQs link I posted a while back imply that NoJ had the ballot? Didn't Isaac place well on the ballot? He places pretty high on fanpolls out here too. I guess yeah you could argue the legitimacy of GS as being strictly GBA and DS games. Any evidence of any GBA or DS only games making it in as reps?

Anyone think this fact hurts Geno's chances? I know Geno is attached to Mario and is technically retro, but idk...still not sure one way of the other.

"Small" group of Isaac fans...? What? If theyre small then...what about us? It's a little difficult for me to believe they think the Isaac fanbase is smaller than the Geno fanbase. However, I love the counterargument that because Geno is connected to Mario series, he still has a fighting shot. (pun intended) Still gives me hope!! Maybe if NoA was taken aback by the disappointment, NoJ would take measures to avoid this by giving us Geno? He also said "still only" which is interesting as that implies thats always his intention. Cool to get to know a little more about his mindset.

Also, I've taken the liberty to list (filtering out non-name/party characters) the list of returning and new Mii Costumes for ultimate (according to the datamine leaks which interestingly enough didn't include Rex, but I added him at the bottom), now also adding in what I assume is added in for compensation. I also placed an asterisk next to each Mii Costume returning from Smash 4.

1. Ashley (AT)*
2. Black Knight (AT)*
Captain Falcon (Fighter)*
4. Chibi Robo (Compensation?)
5. Chrom (Fighter)*
6. Ray MK III (Compensation?)
7. Dunban (FS)*
8. Flying Man (SH)*

9. Isabelle (Fighter)*
10. King K. Rool (Fighter)*
11. KK Slider (Stage Background)*
12. Link (Fighter)*
Champion (?)
14. Lip (AT?)
15. Builder Mario (Fighter ALT)
16. Viridi (PaluGuidance)*
17. Nia (...who?)
18. Ribbon Girl (Compensation?)
19. Isaac (Compensation)
20. Saki Amamiya (Compensation?)

21. Samus (Fighter)*
22. Skull Kid (AT)*
23. Inkling (Fighter)*
24. Spring Man (AT)
25. Fox (Fighter)*
26. Takamaru (AT)*
27. Toad (Part of Peach moveset)*

28. Rex (Implied Compensation)

Highlighting all of the costumes I think are compensation in goldish yellow, and looking at the returning characters, it makes sense that the Isaac costume is compensation. Remember, Sakurai gave us the Geno costume as compensation. That's practically what he said. And if you look at returning characters from Smash 4, several of them got upgrades into Ultimate, and also some of them were probably "compensation" in Smash 4. (Black Knight, Inkling, Chrom, Zero, MegaMen, King K. Rool, Takamaru, Akira, Geno) I think the "compensation" characters this round: Chibi Robo, Ray MK III, Ribbon Girl, Isaac, Saki, Rex all reflect characters wanted in but couldn't get in as a fighter. Since all the 3rd party reps except Square and Bandai Namco have their characters in game in some way shape or form as MODELS (Akira, Rathalos, Zero, Wily [presumably replcing Elec Man], Knuckles this could be good for our boi.

I FEEL THE EXACT SAME WAY. Especially about PolarPanda, to the point where it was weird seing a different icon for him on discord.

You say you're neutral but idk.....seem a little TOO for DQ to me lol

Partly kidding. But you have a good point here. This could hint at a DQ meeting before DLC was even confirmed. However, still gotta go thru Armor Project and Square. Not to say is impossible tho.

Just a question, not an attack. Earlier when you said this (on gamefaqs i think?) you said something similar but instead of there's a lot against him, it was a definitive not Geno. Is there a reason you're less sure outside of your sources all saying its a red herring, or am I tin foiling here?

Am I...am I gonna be the only one to-
I'll do it-
Because i mean how did you all miss-

....What's *****?

Or I could definitely see it being Matthew, to avoid promoting an AT and having to take an asset out. Matthew could even make DLC if the situation is dire enough. Matthew is pretty much Isaac and is only a Spirit.

Yuck. Worse than Geno Mii Costume or Geno AT lmaoooo

I wonder how much the Grinch leak helped any of those potential characters for DLC...I agree that ALMOST anything less than that will feel like a letdown. I feel like Geno and Banjo would be special cases as let downs because they were requested before the grinch leak. (I myself wasn't too keen on Shadow and Ken but they cool I guess) and I don't think anyone was really clamoring for Mach Rider.

TL:DR
1. Isaac has a huge fanbase, hard to see us being exponentially larger and it didnt work to get him in. Worries me. The argument that Geno is attached to Mario, thus still safe in this regard is very reassuring.

2. List of all "Compensation" Mii fighters and their connection to Smash as well as "compensation" Mii Fighter Costumes for Smash 4 and how that correlates to no 3rd party costumes in Ultimate.

3. What's *****? (It's the joke isnt it?)

4. Speculation on how much the Grinch Leak may have impacted DLC.
See now this is a long post I actually like. You address many different posts and write a good amount but you break it up enough that it's not a chore to read through. Also to address your points: I do think Geno being connected to Mario is going to be what saves him if he does make it in. He represents a partnership between SE and Nintendo in a way that no other SE character really does. It's almost like he represents the memory of what used to be kind of like a snapshot of old friends that have grown apart but are now slowly (and a bit roughly) reconnecting.

I also think that in the end the Grinch leak has shown NoA/NoJ (if they're paying attention) the kinds of characters that will make people super hype. So hypothetically maybe that would make them rethink some things regarding what characters to promote through Smash in the future for a Wave 2 of DLC.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I have a question for everyone. Do you guys select your main based on your favorite character or whoever's playstyle you like? As you might be able to tell, I chose my mains based on my favorite characters, and coincidentally I love their playstyle.
He's a tricky little dude, for sure. I want to like him more, because I love Pikmin, but...something doesn't mesh with me and him.

I hear he's pretty good in Ultimate, though.
You called?

Gosh, I love making that joke.

Whoo, lots o discussion to get up to date with.

I don’t really like pie.

And I miss the days when leakers would just tell us which characters are in the game.

It’s kind of a really stressful experience. Since you have a time limit, you really feel like you have to play well and every action and second counts. Plus, you get attached to the little ****ers, so when they die it’s pretty sad. I think 3 is the more stressful one, as instead of a timer, you have to manage your resources, and instead of the abstract fear of not making time, you have the more urgent fear of starving.

A lovely experience.
Well...

First of all , I don't have a favorite pie. Sorry to disapoint everyone here.

But wow , I never thought people would talk about Pikmin here ! I'm a huge fan of Olimar and the Pikmin franchise , he's my main since Brawl.(And yeah , he look promising in Ultimate... But landing seem to still be a big issue for him).

The Pikmin franchise is all about time management , the first one really show this. It's short , but It's Good.

The Second is way more focused on exploration and the caves , since you can spend as much day as necessary to do what you want. And Imo , It's the longest and hardest Pikmin game.

The third one is more linear , and kind of easy (Ressource management is very easy , you could grab 5 fruits and it will be enough for the whole game(or maybe I'm just too used to speedrunning it))but the challenge mode is so much fun , It's addictive and very in depth.

And Hey Pikmin is a simple spin-off. Even tho It's easy and pretty simple , It's still fun to collect everything , and It's a fresh way to look at the franchise.

Anyway , so , mains in Smash Bros (I shouldn't get too much off-topic lol)

Of course , Olimar , he was hard to learn , but it pay. He do so much damage , and not a lot of people know how to play against him (and my friends call me a fraud whenever I F-smash 3 times near the ledge).

I also play a lot of Dedede and Pac-man.
Dedede has such an Amazing personnality. I played my fair share of Kirby games , and I wasn't very connected with him , but Sm4sh Dedede clicked with me. (Also I'm happy that's he's fixed in Ultimate... He had some... Questionnables issues in Sm4sh.)
Pac-man was my favorite newcomer in Sm4sh , his playstyle was very unique , and I loved his personnality (granted , he's just a yellow sphere , but still.). I just love wacky characters wich need a lot of skill to play , and also lower tiers characters.

For Ultimate , I'm planning to try out the Icies and Ridley !

And I'll co-main Geno if he get in as DLC ! He's a small and fast character with projectiles , I'm sure the few friends I have won't be mad if I play him a lot.(jk jk)

Last edited:

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
This thread is booming, i can hardly keep up! Also, i'm super late with this, but i'm not actually a potato.....and my favorite pie is peach/chocolate (sorry for interrupting).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
See now this is a long post I actually like. You address many different posts and write a good amount but you break it up enough that it's not a chore to read through. Also to address your points: I do think Geno being connected to Mario is going to be what saves him if he does make it in. He represents a partnership between SE and Nintendo in a way that no other SE character really does. It's almost like he represents the memory of what used to be kind of like a snapshot of old friends that have grown apart but are now slowly (and a bit roughly) reconnecting.

I also think that in the end the Grinch leak has shown NoA/NoJ (if they're paying attention) the kinds of characters that will make people super hype. So hypothetically maybe that would make them rethink some things regarding what characters to promote through Smash in the future for a Wave 2 of DLC.
Ouch at the not so subtle dig there. :chuckle:

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, given that this thread now regularly has up to 150 "guests" on any given day, I thought I would explain why I trust Polar Panda. As said before, he's in contact with me and a number of the senior members of the Geno thread and I've learned a number of things through our interactions.

1. I've talked about this before but Panda's primary source is a verifiable person connected with Nintendo. We have a first and last name, an actual face, and, at least shared with me, four accounts across four different websites. This person is smart and they don't grandstand. You will never see this person do an AMA. You will not see this person bounce between sites right in the open. It's actually kind of impressive given what they do.

2. This detail really hasn't been talked about much but Panda's source's sources work closely together and actually know each other in real life so it's not like they're getting info through a filter. Panda has provided examples that they not only have a working relationship through their jobs but Panda's source's sources actually care about Panda's source and look out for them. This is very different from what we typically see when it comes to insiders. There's usually a strong degree of detachment, competitiveness, and suspicion when it comes with inside information that isn't present here.

3. This is the big one. Of Panda's source's sources, there's at least one that has enough seniority and rank that they probably wouldn't even be fired if the information was traced back to them. They might be demoted, maybe even a pay decrease, but they're likely above termination if exposed. Honestly, I could probably find them on LinkedIn if I cared enough to look. Futhermore, this person has no skin in the game and they probably don't care about Smash Bros at all. This person has zero incentive to lie and probably has an industrial strength bull**** detector because of their rank. This particular source does it simply because of their relationship with PolarPanda's primary source, going back to point 2.

All of this said, the chances of this being a long con game are pretty minimal, especially since it's been confirmed at least two people are involved in all of this, with one having a ton of personal information on the table to verify their identity. To be upfront, we go about things this way to protect these sources, not spite you all, and that there are a number of things that haven't been made public yet. There's one particular bit of news I'd love to share but, at the same time, I know my place and wait for everything to be approved first. Thankfully, Ultimate is coming next week and that will help make the time go faster until DLC drops.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
one thing that I haven't seen people take note of is that when the smash website shows off the series of each fighter, it uses the Final Fantasy VII and Bayonetta 2 logo instead of using the Final Fantasy or Bayonetta logo as a whole. So i feel like that would mean we wouldnt get another Final Fantasy character that isnt from VII (like Terra). So with Sephiroth rumored, it can kinda play into this. I’m not sure if you guys even have an opinion on this I just wanted to point that out LOL
I had noticed that. And it kind of hurts, when seeing Wario Ware.

In regards to Bayo 2, that one is more due to that game being her Nintendo debut, so it makes sense to use that one.

So, given that this thread now regularly has up to 150 "guests" on any given day, I thought I would explain why I trust Polar Panda. As said before, he's in contact with me and a number of the senior members of the Geno thread and I've learned a number of things through our interactions.

1. I've talked about this before but Panda's primary source is a verifiable person connected with Nintendo. We have a first and last name, an actual face, and, at least shared with me, four accounts across four different websites. This person is smart and they don't grandstand. You will never see this person do an AMA. You will not see this person bounce between sites right in the open. It's actually kind of impressive given what they do.

2. This detail really hasn't been talked about much but Panda's source's sources work closely together and actually know each other in real life so it's not they're getting info through a filter. Panda has provided examples that they not only have a working relationship through their jobs but Panda's source's sources actually care about Panda's source and look out for them. This is very different from what we typically see when it comes to insiders. There's usually a strong degree of detachment, competitiveness, and suspicion when it comes with inside information that isn't present here.

3. This is the big one. Of Panda's source's sources, there's at least one that has enough seniority and rank that they probably wouldn't even be fired if the information was traced back to them. They might be demoted, maybe even a pay decrease, but they're likely above termination if exposed. Honestly, I could probably find them on LinkedIn if I cared enough to look. Futhermore, this person has no skin in the game and they probably doesn't care about Smash Bros at all. This person has zero incentive to lie and probably has an industrial strength bull**** filter because of their rank. This particular source does it simply because of their relationship with PolarPanda's primary source, going back to point 2.

All of this said, the chances of this being a long con game are pretty minimal, especially since it's been confirmed at least two people are involved in all of this, with one having a ton of personal information on the table to verify their identity. To be upfront, we go about things this way to protect these sources, not spite you all, and that there are a number of things that haven't been made public yet. There's one particular bit of news I'd love to share but, at the same time, I know my place and wait for everything to be approved first. Thankfully, Ultimate is coming next week and that will help make the time go faster until DLC drops.
That's what I like to see, no transparency, no hesitation or indecision, just plain consistency and pure teamwork.

Last edited:

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
I think the Golden Sun news shows that Nintendo still in some ways doesn't under what fan support means, i can only imagine the backlash they may get if they reject other fan favorites for another unnecessary Pokemon and FE rep.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
So I might be late to the party, but does Nintendo thinking that Isaac had a "small" group of fans mean that Isaac didn't do as well on the Smash Ballot as some of us had initially thought?

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
So I might be late to the party, but does Nintendo thinking that Isaac had a "small" group of fans mean that Isaac didn't do as well on the Smash Ballot as some of us had initially thought?
Nah, its just that they literally think characters like Issac don't have a big following cause its not from Mario,Kirby,Pokemon when clearly that's a load of bull****

Last edited:

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
I've been away from this thread and most Geno discussion since the last direct (I didnt want to make myself get overly excited over something that might not happen again) but can someone catch me up on the PolarPanda situation?

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
I have a few questions:
1. The other insiders said Geno was a red-herring, because of bias or something else (it's probably been answered, but i've lost track a bit)?
2. Can i be added to the support list?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I have a few questions:
1. The other insiders said Geno was a red-herring, because of bias or something else (it's probably been answered, but i've lost track a bit)?
2. Can i be added to the support list?
It's probably bias because one of the upfront insiders that's been communicating with the boards and regularly claiming this is very anti-Geno and doesn't bother hiding it. It's kind of ironic but a lot of the current chaos of people trying to distance themselves from being insiders is because this one person was so desperate to prove another insider wrong about a character they were really attached to that they wormed their way in and brought out a lot of stuff that people had been trying to keep secret for months.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
It's probably bias because one of the upfront insiders that's been communicating with the boards and regularly claiming this is very anti-Geno and doesn't bother hiding it. It's kind of ironic but a lot of the current chaos of people trying to distance themselves from being insiders is because this one person was so desperate to prove another insider wrong about a character they were really attached to that they wormed their way in and brought out a lot of stuff that people had been trying to keep secret for months.
Yeah this.

The reason Geno is thought to be a red herring is a straight up biased reason. It wasn't a conclusion that was arrived at rationally or with any fact based evidence other than wanting to flat out dismiss the character.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
I was directly told that Nintendo operators got hate calls over Isaac just the same as they did with Waluigi. If there is a wave 2 (since wave 1 WON'T) with AT promotions, Waluigi or Isaac would definitely be first. Then Skull Kid.
So, should we call Nintendo too?

Tetiro

Smash Ace
So, should we call Nintendo too?
We Isaac fans will complain for Geno if you return us a solid by complaining about Isaac ;)

But seriously unless Square decide to be absolute tight-wads, I would not worry about Geno. The DLC for Wii U was mainly third party and if they got Cloud in THAT, it would not surprise me if Geno was the next call.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Back in 2015, Sakurai gave two reasons for wanting Geno in the game:

1- He would be an absolutely perfect fit

2- He’s incredibly popular

That first reason hasn’t changed. Geno is still Geno, and there haven’t been any newcomers that took away his unique moveset potential. The second reason HAS changed, but only for the better. Compared to 2015, Geno is SO much more popular/requested as a character, and much more widely discussed in the larger community.

My point is that there’s no reason why Sakurai would change his mind, and give up on a character he’s been wanting in the game since Brawl.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, at the rate we are going, when do you guys think we will surpass the Brawl thread?

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Back in 2015, Sakurai gave two reasons for wanting Geno in the game:

1- He would be an absolutely perfect fit

2- He’s incredibly popular

That first reason hasn’t changed. Geno is still Geno, and there haven’t been any newcomers that took away his unique moveset potential. The second reason HAS changed, but only for the better. Compared to 2015, Geno is SO much more popular/requested as a character, and much more widely discussed in the larger community.

My point is that there’s no reason why Sakurai would change his mind, and give up on a character he’s been wanting in the game since Brawl.
Here's the quote. And yeh, this now makes this whole "leak" entirely redundant as it has been proven fake by the Saks himself

There were a lot of new collaborations from series that aren’t represented in the base Smash game as DLC costumes. We asked about the background behind some of the more notable costumes.
Geno:
What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?
Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality.
Because of that, you added him as a Mii Costume this time?
Sakurai: That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I have a question for you all.

If you had to pick between getting Geno in Smash (and that he'll be in every future Smash Bros game) or doing a revival of SMRPG as a franchise , and make Geno the main protagonist for all future games (and he'll be a loved character) wich one would you chose?

I would pick the SMRPG revival route personnaly. Getting Geno in Smash would be a dream come true , but I rather give a future to Geno than making him stuck in a museum.

Granted , the biggest museum of gaming , but still.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Good morning ladies and gents. Just wanted to give a quick update before I leave here for good.

Polar and I had a chat last night and patched things over. All my intention ever was, was to share info that I'm lucky enough to receive about a game that I love. But at the end of the day, all it really is, is a game. I am hoping and praying that nobody gets into serious trouble over the info that was released here.

Last night resulted in drama that I didn't want, too many upset people, and my discord user and tag being posted on 4Chan. Things are getting too serious for my liking. I'm going to be laying low for the next little while. You'll hear from me again at some point, but I'm not sure when that will be.

Have a good one Genbros :)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

If you had to pick between getting Geno in Smash (and that he'll be in every future Smash Bros game) or doing a revival of SMRPG as a franchise , and make Geno the main protagonist for all future games (and he'll be a loved character) wich one would you chose?

I would pick the SMRPG revival route personnaly. Getting Geno in Smash would be a dream come true , but I rather give a future to Geno than making him stuck in a museum.

Revival for me as well.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
We Isaac fans will complain for Geno if you return us a solid by complaining about Isaac ;)

But seriously unless Square decide to be absolute tight-wads, I would not worry about Geno. The DLC for Wii U was mainly third party and if they got Cloud in THAT, it would not surprise me if Geno was the next call.
Sometimes I keep imagining what would happen if the fanbases stop fighting each other and just make I list with all the most wanted characters, thousands of supporters and just send to Sakurai. Maybe that would be a better approach for us...
PS: I'm huge Isaac supporter too my friend

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Sometimes I keep imagining what would happen if the fanbases stop fighting each other and just make I list with all the most wanted characters, thousands of supporters and just send to Sakurai. Maybe that would be a better approach for us...
That isn't a bad idea. A universal poll where everyone ticks the characters they want in. Top 5 are the ones everyone votes for. That would send a clear enough message to them higher-ups

I wish that was the case but for as long as there is "slot-competition", that will never be

Potatu

Smash Apprentice

Revival also for me

RingJ5

Smash Ace

I’d be fine with a revival as long as Smash also gets Paper Mario.

I literally just want timed or rhythmic hits in Smash, no matter the form they come in.

I never paid too much mind to Isaac in the last couple months, but now I’m coming around to him for one specific reason: I think that a DQ rep or Chrono, both characters that I actively do not want in the game, could severely lower his chances if they got in because all three could be seen as “anime swordfighters with magic”, and given those three options, I’d take the long-standing request ten times over compared to characters that haven’t actually been requested but Nintendo thinks we want.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Anyone that mains Gen gets respect from me, man. His combos are amazing to watch.

To add to that discussion on mains, despite not "maining" anyone in Smash, I mained Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (if it weren't obvious) solely because Wrighto is my favorite video game character, period. I won't deny that learning how to play as him was like an actual grind, but it was just fun playing as him.

I really hope my boys in blue (him and Geno) get into Smash one day. Though Geno's chances are much, much better than Feenie's.
Much respect to you, man. Phoenix is one of the best characters I've had the pleasure of playing as. His internal humor is my favorite part about him, because that's so much like me--being modest on the outside, but screaming about how stupid/crazy someone is on the inside, lol.

I wish he had been in Smash in some form, even a spirit...oh well. One day!

Ugh, that's a tough one...

Ummm....revival, I guess. Because then he could just get into Smash later.:p

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Good morning ladies and gents. Just wanted to give a quick update before I leave here for good.

Polar and I had a chat last night and patched things over. All my intention ever was, was to share info that I'm lucky enough to receive about a game that I love. But at the end of the day, all it really is, is a game. I am hoping and praying that nobody gets into serious trouble over the info that was released here.

Last night resulted in drama that I didn't want, too many upset people, and my discord user and tag being posted on 4Chan. Things are getting too serious for my liking. I'm going to be laying low for the next little while. You'll hear from me again at some point, but I'm not sure when that will be.

Have a good one Genbros :)
This is what I like to see. Hopefully this can be your escape if you need it.

Well when you return, we will have a (virtual) Pumpkin pie waiting for you.

EDIT: Loliko YnT Loliko YnT to answer your question, a revival for sure. Smash is smash, but to see Geno in a Mario game again AND stay around? Yes please.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
So what if both Erdrick and Geno got in? So like Square Enix hid the fact that they were going to be two new characters from them.

Basically the negotiations for them and Cloud is why Cloud was one of the last characters added in the base game.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
So what if both Erdrick and Geno got in? So like Square Enix hid the fact that they were going to be two new characters from them.

Basically the negotiations for them and Cloud is why Cloud was one of the last characters added in the base game.
I'd be down for that. A big reason why I thought Geno would happen in the base roster was that Square just has so many characters knocking on the door. It'd be a shame if only one made it in. If the rumors about Monster Hunter and Chun-Li are true, then there's probably no set limit of how many unique fighters a third party can have.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I'd be down for that. A big reason why I thought Geno would happen in the base roster was that Square just has so many characters knocking on the door. It'd be a shame if only one made it in. If the rumors about Monster Hunter and Chun-Li are true, then there's probably no set limit of how many unique fighters a third party can have.
Wait, what Chun-Li rumors? Why would they add a third Street Fighter character?

I believe Banjo-Kazooie and Monster Hunter are going to happen. And possibly Steve too.

But where does this Chun-Li stuff come from?

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I'm moreso wondering what Nintendo thought of the Grinch leak. It definitely got enough publicity for them to at least notice it, but what did they actually think of it? As a Shadow fan I kind of hope that was a wake-up call for him, but Isaac, Geno and Banjo-Kazooie all being in there probably had them all confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom