• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Chances are the same way that the other major Mario character have been "modernized".
i mean, in terms of mario rpg games characters have gotten minor little design tweaks (like luigi's overalls being a bit short and having the striped socks and other things like that). there really arent like, actual full on redesigns for mario characters outside of like, the dress designs for the mario princesses in smash

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I kind of agree with this philosophy, in don't be afraid to overrepresent franchises so long as they have worthy characters, but at a certain point you learn nearly any character can be a fighter.
This. It kind of feels like Kirby Star Allies in particular screams out "anyone can be playable!". Then there's the DKC Retro games making even support members of the Kong clan able to hold their own when push comes to shove.

i mean, in terms of mario rpg games characters have gotten minor little design tweaks (like luigi's overalls being a bit short and having the striped socks and other things like that). there really arent like, actual full on redesigns for mario characters outside of like, the dress designs for the mario princesses in smash
Pretty much. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's not as necessary as for the seldom-used Captain Syrup, for example.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Of course, I expect them to keep the same look, generally speaking. I just imagine that Geno and Mallow are gonna get few touch ups to better fit the newer Mario style. I could also see them sneak in a bit of the modern Final Fantasy style, specifically in how there clothing itself is styled and/or textured.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Of course, I expect them to keep the same look, generally speaking. I just imagine that Geno and Mallow are gonna get few touch ups to better fit the newer Mario style. I could also see them sneak in a bit of the modern Final Fantasy style, specifically in how there clothing itself is styled and/or textured.
Oh, great, now I'm envisioning Geno wrapped in so many belts that he looks more like a BDSM doll than a child's toy... thanks Nomura.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As long as they don't give Mallow any extra belts, I can live with that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh, great, now I'm envisioning Geno wrapped in so many belts that he looks more like a BDSM doll than a child's toy... thanks Nomura.
Not quite like that, I don't imagine they would make any additions to the design's. Just touch ups to what alread exists.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
And how is that? Keep in mind, it would also be a Square team putting there point of view on the whole topic as well.
I feel like he’d look very similar to his Smashified render. Also I want to say that even though he’ll be working with SE, that it implies giving him freedom to kind of do as he pleases.

I also see Geno kind of getting a few touch ups to his cape, maybe in a bit of a Black Mage fashion.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
thinking about how (in my opinion at least) nomura ruined cloud and sephiroth's designs in kingdom hearts, i would be completely offboard with a mario rpg remake if he was doing character redesigns

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
The last thing we need is another swordfighter, im REALLY tired of them at this point
The only exception to this sentiment (which I am 100% in agreement with you on) is Travis Touchdown. While a Beam Katana technically makes him a sword fighter, he plays more like a Devil May Cry character than an anime pretty boy, plus his luchador techniques, pixel and bit particle effects and exaggerated personality would set him apart enough to where I would love to see his inclusion.

Since we seem to be spitballing topics while we wait for any concrete Smash news, I've got something to chew on: If and when they announce the DLC characters, do you think that it will be a character at a time shortly before they're ready to release, or is there a possibility that they might get announced further away from completion like Mewtwo was in Smash 4? Or even more unlikely, just drop a schedule on multiple characters and their releases like how they've done with the Amiibo? It's most likely the first, but I'd like off the speculation train as soon as possible just to get my peace of mind back.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
thinking about how (in my opinion at least) nomura ruined cloud and sephiroth's designs in kingdom hearts, i would be completely offboard with a mario rpg remake if he was doing character redesigns
...I kind of liked Cloud’s design... (the Buster sword wrapped up in cloth?? *Pacha meme*)

And I feel like Nomura has grown so much as an artist since then. His redesigns/touch ups for Dissidia are beautiful IMO (Onion Knight? Tidus?? Prishe?? Firion???? *Pacha Meme*)
The only exception to this sentiment (which I am 100% in agreement with you on) is Travis Touchdown. While a Beam Katana technically makes him a sword fighter, he plays more like a Devil May Cry character than an anime pretty boy, plus his luchador techniques, pixel and bit particle effects and exaggerated personality would set him apart enough to where I would love to see his inclusion.
I agree with this. I was kind of hoping Saki got upgraded to fighter. (He had a beam sword-gun combo weapon and we’ve never seen that in Smash) or at least his son Isa Jo (who had the same weapon AND A FREAKING HOVERBACKPACK) unfortunately they’re both just Spirits, and Saki doesn’t even return as an AT :( [at least we have a Mii Costume]

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh, I doubt he'd be on the Switch division, guy's busy dealing with Final Fantasy Forever VII right now. I wonder what Yasumi Matsuno is doing right now, he might gel the best with Akihiro Yoshida.

...I kind of liked Cloud’s design... (the Buster sword wrapped up in cloth?? *Pacha meme*)

And I feel like Nomura has grown so much as an artist since then. His redesigns/touch ups for Dissidia are beautiful IMO (Onion Knight? Tidus?? Prishe?? Firion???? *Pacha Meme*)
When it comes to him, YMMV in regards to his design.

Though I think we can agree Toriyama is a complete blithering idiot.

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
its just my opinion but the redesigns of cloud and sephiroth look like if nomura was suddenly inspired after googling "emo spongebob" and thought it would be cool to do that with other characters

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
except its what sakurai said lmao
Look for a single instance where Sakurai mentions being given a list. You won’t, because he wasn’t.

What do you guys here think of the recent, "Geno is my favorite Earthbound character" meme going around? And then everyone goes, "Oh no, he's from Earthbound 2" or they mention some obscure way to unlock him in Earthbound or Mother 3 lol
The only time I heard about that was from an idiot who thought GameFAQs = the Internet.

Probably shouldn't worry about that. They said that the fighters can be purchased separately for $5.99 each. I think that you can only purchase a fighter when they release.
Yeah, but I wanted to save money.

Then again we’re probably getting **** like Steve and I don’t wanna buy that so I guess it’s piecemeal DLC for me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, all we know is that Sakurai was suggested characters. In what format, it doesn't matter, Nintendo gave their input somehow.

Also, I'm pretty sure the situation regarding Minecraft right now is Schrodinger's Steve; until announcements happen, he is both in and not in the game.

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Well, all we know is that Sakurai was suggested characters. In what format, it doesn't matter, Nintendo gave their input somehow.

Also, I'm pretty sure the situation regarding Minecraft right now is Schrodinger's Steve; until announcements happen, he is both in and not in the game.
yea i dont really get how anyone can want to get the dlc preorder right now when steve is a possibility lmao

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Look for a single instance where Sakurai mentions being given a list. You won’t, because he wasn’t.
Whoa whoa whoa now hold on.

Here’s the tweet:

“Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete. This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan.”

I think the point of contention here is the “selection”. Remember, Sakurai decided if they can create a fighter based on their SELECTION. That could mean Nintendo gave Sakurai, for example, a selection of characters to choose from as opposed to Sakurai choosing himself. So it i think it is plausible that Sakurai may or may not have been given a list.

Also, any ideas as to why Nintendo decided to step in and choose characters this time around?

Latyon

Smash Cadet
I want Geno really bad but I have to say that a lot of folks in here are being completely delusional.

Saying that the Vifam gun could be a hint to Geno is virtually the same as saying the Vifam gun could be a hint toward James Bond, or a Call of Duty character, or the dudes from Time Crisis.

The Vifam gun looks NOTHING like anything that Geno uses. Geno's guns consist of holes in his fingers and elbows, and occasionally a wand-type protrusion. And the Vifam figure doesn't resemble Geno at all so he certainly isn't using it as a character model reference.

D

Deleted member

Here’s the tweet:

“Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete. This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan.”

I think the point of contention here is the “selection”. Remember, Sakurai decided if they can create a fighter based on their SELECTION. That could mean Nintendo gave Sakurai, for example, a selection of characters to choose from as opposed to Sakurai choosing himself. So it i think it is plausible that Sakurai may or may not have been given a list.

Also, any ideas as to why Nintendo decided to step in and choose characters this time around?
We need more Fire Emblem representation!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
yea i dont really get how anyone can want to get the dlc preorder right now when steve is a possibility lmao
Me:

"OH BOY PLAYABLE MINECRAFT wait where's the Creeper?!"

I like Steve but gosh we never get a playable Creeper (or any mod) except through mods, and only one mod (technically two or three but they were continuations of the first) actually focused on and made you a Creeper specifically).

I'd also rather have Banjo-Kazooie first but I'd love either inclusion tbh.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If only.

Someone mentioned that maybe the mii costumes were a market test.
I wonder if the Geno costume sold well.
I didn't buy the individual geno costume, I bought the pack with Cloud, the stage, and the mii costumes.
Hahaha, that was me who said they might've been there to test our popularity with Geno. Everyone I knew bought it, and there were thousands out there that bought it; Nintendo gave it a special reveal with a splash screen, and I saw a few people react to the Direct and said stuff like, "Geno took the cake with the final Direct", "Geno's is what made this final Direct special!", etc. But because Geno seemed to be in his own pack, I'm sure many bought the Geno Mii costume with the pack or just separately. Remember, Sakurai said he was incredibly popular and wanted to give our huge fanbase something, so I'm sure many got the costume.
Here's my theory:

THE BALLOT WAS MADE TO SELECT FUTURE MII FIGHTER COSTUMES!

Think about it, the ballot was released before the first Mii fighter outfit pack. The first Mii fighter pack could've been planned before the ballot, however, the second one seemed to lead off to requested characters like Inkling, Zero, Isabelle, Heihachi, etc., you get what I'm saying; then came the third pack, which included highly requested characters like King K. Rool, Lloyd Irving, and Chrom. Whichever highly requested/voted characters in the ballot that that seemed reasonable the most were chosen as Mii costumes. My guess is, the Mii costumes that sold the most were selected to be future newcomers in Ultimate based upon how much it was bought by people, and the ones that were sold the least were planned to be in as spirits or assist trophies.
Inkling, Isabelle, Chrom, King K. Rool definitely sound like Mii costumes that sold most.

Also, I have a feeling Lloyd Irving and Geno sold very well, so because of this, I do expect to see Nintendo feel as if Geno and Lloyd are perfect DLC picks because they're highly requested and possibly sold super well as Mii costumes. Maybe this is why a Monster Hunter character may show up as DLC, because its costume sold well. For all we know, Nintendo could've chosen the DLC from the leftover characters that had Mii costumes from Smash 4! This is what I think. And remember, Sakurai can veto if he can make them into a playable character or not. Lloyd, Geno, and a Monster Hunter character have the perfect movesets for Super Smash Brothers! :)

D

Deleted member

I want Geno really bad but I have to say that a lot of folks in here are being completely delusional.

Saying that the Vifam gun could be a hint to Geno is virtually the same as saying the Vifam gun could be a hint toward James Bond, or a Call of Duty character, or the dudes from Time Crisis.

The Vifam gun looks NOTHING like anything that Geno uses. Geno's guns consist of holes in his fingers and elbows, and occasionally a wand-type protrusion. And the Vifam figure doesn't resemble Geno at all so he certainly isn't using it as a character model reference.
The Vifam gun functions similarly to Geno beam, and Geno's gun doesn't have any official art, so the Vifam gun is the closest thing they could use as a reference to Geno's gun

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman

Nani??

We’re only using the Vifam gun as a reference to the gun/barrel/cannon used in Geno beam. It doesn’t look at all like a wand.

Additionally, literally no character in Smash looks like the Vifam figure...so what would he be using it for...?

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
I have a question for all of you, how would the likes of Geno and Mallow be "modernized" if there were to be an SMRPG remake. I know this has been asked before, but after the remake thing from earlier, it just feels like a fun topic to revisit.

Edit: Fixed some mistakes, kinda tired.
If Nintendo make the remake, they will preserve almost everything and avoid drastic changes (like the Zelda oot3d, mm3d, tphd and wwhd). Almost no new content too. But certainly an amiibo for the game.
If Square make the remake on the other hand, they will charge everything, modernize everything, break the game, kill the IP and say that "if fans want this game so much they should bought more copies" like they did with Chrono series, mana series and are going to make with FF7. Sorry but I don't trust them anymore

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So, what do you think is the giant robot game project he's planning to use it for?

Me:

"OH BOY PLAYABLE MINECRAFT wait where's the Creeper?!"

I like Steve but gosh we never get a playable Creeper (or any mod) except through mods, and only one mod (technically two or three but they were continuations of the first) actually focused on and made you a Creeper specifically).

I'd also rather have Banjo-Kazooie first but I'd love either inclusion tbh.
But what if...

508390.jpg

Neither of them are in the pass after you buy it?

If Nintendo make the remake, they will preserve almost everything and avoid drastic changes (like the Zelda oot3d, mm3d, tphd and wwhd). Almost no new content too. But certainly an amiibo for the game.
If Square make the remake on the other hand, they will charge everything, modernize everything, break the game, kill the IP and say that "if fans want this game so much they should bought more copies" like they did with Chrono series, mana series and are going to make with FF7. Sorry but I don't trust them anymore
At least FF7R should turn out okay, since outside of mechanics and graphics, the gist of it should still be in. The big issue I have is that it'll come in several installments that could have been on one disc...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

deciding based on selection means they had a list.
No it doesn’t. Maybe Sakurai picked 5 characters out of a list. Maybe Nintendo just named 5 and Sakurai vetoed if necessary. As of now we have no way to know.

Here’s the tweet:

Exactly, the key word her being plausible.

As for why Nintendo picked characters, it depends.

Maybe Sakurai is tired of Smash and this is a test run to see if Nintendo execs/whoever is pulling the strings can pick characters the way fans want.

Maybe Nintendo saw the backlash against characters like Incineroar and Piranha Plant, or how hated Kencineroar/how beloved Grinch theory was, and decided Sakurai’s lost his touch and somebody new needs to step in.

Or maybe Nintendo wants to advertise their upcoming Switch catalogue and foster relations between companies, and they see DLC as a means.

D

Deleted member

No it doesn’t. Maybe Sakurai picked 5 characters out of a list. Maybe Nintendo just named 5 and Sakurai vetoed if necessary. As of now we have no way to know.

Exactly, the key word her being plausible.

As for why Nintendo picked characters, it depends.

Maybe Sakurai is tired of Smash and this is a test run to see if Nintendo execs/whoever is pulling the strings can pick characters the way fans want.

Maybe Nintendo saw the backlash against characters like Incineroar and Piranha Plant, or how hated Kencineroar/how beloved Grinch theory was, and decided Sakurai’s lost his touch and somebody new needs to step in.

Or maybe Nintendo wants to advertise their upcoming Switch catalogue and foster relations between companies, and they see DLC as a means.
Or maybe Sakurai is screwing with us and he picked the DLC instead of Nintendo

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Nani??

We’re only using the Vifam gun as a reference to the gun/barrel/cannon used in Geno beam. It doesn’t look at all like a wand.

Additionally, literally no character in Smash looks like the Vifam figure...so what would he be using it for...?
Sorry but what/who is Vifam that everybody is talking about?

D

Deleted member

Sorry but what/who is Vifam that everybody is talking about?
In 2016, Sakurai bought a Vifam toy gun which he is most likely using for a newcomer in Smash Ultimate, and we believe that he is using the gun as a reference to Geno's gun since Geno's gun doesn't have any official art

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Compare the above to these:

https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_weapons_in_Super_Mario_RPG:_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars

Let's just say creative liberties can certainly be made for a 22 year old character.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Holy cow, keeping up with this thread is tiresome. At this rate, we're gonna beat the Brawl thread before the game comes out!

I take umbrage with the idea that any random DQ character would definitively be seen as "more profitable" than Geno by Nintendo and/or Square Enix. Even before taking raw sales numbers into account, in order for a DQ rep to even happen, Nintendo would need to pay licensing fees to and split DLC/amiibo profits between upwards of 5 different parties. I'm no financial expert, but that doesn't sound very profitable to me, on either Nintendo or Square Enix's end. And then there's the common preconception that Geno's hypothetical sales would somehow pale in comparison to those of a DQ character, when I really don't see that happening. The only region where I can see a DQ rep's sales topping Geno's would be in Japan, and even then, I think it'd be a close race given that Geno, believe it or not, is a popular character over there. (And in higher demand than any Dragon Quest character, at that, if Japanese regional polls are anything to go by.) Otherwise, any DQ character bar Slime, the series' Goomba, is arguably even more obscure than Geno on a global scale; at least the latter has a solid presence on social media, in fanart, and in the greater Smash community to keep him afloat. When's the last time you heard someone bring up Erdrick outside the context of Smash? Exactly.

And it's not like this talk of sales even matters that much, anyway; the truth of the matter is that even if people absolutely hate it, Smash DLC is gonna sell gangbusters no matter what. Face it, if we already have people lining up to play as a literal potted plant, the Smash fanbase will buy anyone as long as they look cool and fun to play. If anything, the only people who actually give a rat's ass about who gets in at this point are, guess who, the hardcore Smash fans, i.e. us. Nintendo doesn't have to prove anything to the casual crowd and they know it to the point where they're inviting people to blindly pay up front for DLC we know next to nothing about, and guess what? People are doing it! At this point, they could add Sandbag as a playable fighter and he'd probably sell better than about 90% of Smash 4's DLC. So really, all this sales talk is kind of irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, if you ask me. And I don't buy that they'd add a Dragon Quest character to try and get the West hooked on the series, either. They've already tried getting the West interested in DQ countless times, once by crossing over with THE Super Mario, and even that didn't work. Besides, it's not like it's Nintendo's responsibility to promote Dragon Quest anyhow, nor do they really have anything to gain from doing so other than maybe getting good with Square Enix so they can become corporate bedfellows like the good ol' days.

To loop this back around to Verg's Square Seven, I don't see the other non-Geno characters as particularly likely. Sephiroth in particular screams leak-bait to me; I know if I were Square Enix and I had to think of a character name to catch leakers, Sephiroth would probably be the first one to come to mind. Sora's not super likely for reasons already stated in this thread countless times, and apparently he isn't happening regardless. Crono would be a... strange pick, considering he's in a very similar position to Geno - being an irrelevant retro pick with little to no external marketing potential - minus the years of fan support that he has. Simply put, if they're willing to take a chance on an obscure "literal who" like Crono, I don't see why they wouldn't just fold and go for Geno at that point, especially considering he'd probably sell better by all accounts. I'm not ruling anybody out just yet, but I still think we're in the lead in this hypothetical race, and by a pretty considerable distance at that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom