• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Here's my point about the third party characters: they all reflect the nature of their games, basically being a walking summary of their franchise. Snake is tactical explosives and stealth. Sonic is extreme speed that can be tough to control. Megaman is mostly his Robot Master weapons, a tool for any situation. Pac-Man is 20 classic arcade games in one. Ryu and Ken are traditional fighting games with traditional inputs. Cloud is turn based moves and having to wait to use stronger moves. Bayo is fancy combo chains and skin of teeth dodges. Simon and Richter are using a full tool kit to keep monsters away, with weapons specialized for specific distances. They all feature unique mechanics from their respective games. Again, they are summaries of their franchises to the point that you'd get the core ideas of their franchise. I want to know how Dragon Quest would do this and be unique to the roster despite even DQ fans admitting that it's "high fantasy RPGs without the bells and whistles. No envelope pushing, just your standard JRPG system."
Seems to me that a Mii Swordsman costume would literally represent a Dragon Quest hero perfectly.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Literally a quote at the end of that video, "As of now we don't know for sure if that's true ... so I assume ..." How am I supposed to take his argument seriously when he's yelling the entire time and acting like it's definitive?

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Hmm, it just occurred to me. We were talking yesterday about Erdrick and the Luminary as some sort of combined fighter. Perhaps it's just simply a Simon and Richter thing and Luminary is an echo fighter for Erdrick. I'm with KCCHIEFS27 though, that'd be a pretty cynical move to use Geno, a massively requested character, as a decoy.
Well, Sakurai confirmed that there will be no echo fighters in the DLC, so that's out of the case for the one unique and one echo for Erdrick and Luminary.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Literally a quote at the end of that video, "As of now we don't know for sure if that's true ... so I assume ..." How am I supposed to take his argument seriously when he's yelling the entire time and acting like it's definitive?
You can pretty much safely ignore LaxChris 100% of the time

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
D-did you just unironically post a LaxChris video as an argument...

Why are people still using the Sakurai praising as an argument when Nintendo decided the characters?
Because Sakurai heavily implied that he was basically given a list and got to choose the ones he found practical to create. He was given choices. "Why would they choose Geno?" Good question. Why did they choose to have him as the only Square Enix Mii costume in Smash 4? Why are Geno and Mallow even in Ultimate at all despite technically being totally unnecessary from a liscensing standpoint? I dunno, man, it's like it's noticeable that people like him or somethin'.

Dan

Smash Lord
LaxChris is a ****ing cancer to the Smash community; the clickbait thumbnails and titles drive me crazy. I end up disliking all his videos I click on.

How many people are in the rare camp as me that Kingdom Hearts is their favorite franchise but Geno is their most wanted character? To tie it all together, everyone saw the Heartless puppet resembling Geno in the Toy Story world?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Why are people still using the Sakurai praising as an argument when Nintendo decided the characters?
because nintendo has acknowledged geno constantly, and sakurai was picking from a list nintendo made, not nintendo outright picking the 5.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here’s why I’m completely disregarding this.

1. LaxChris
2. There are over 1000+ spirits so who would even get in if Spirits deconfirm
3. All fighters have a spirit. (I.e. Cloud)
4. No one knows what Nintendo and Sakurai are doing
5. Verge and leakers
Lets also not forget that other article that was attached to that tweet from a day or two ago.

Dan

Smash Lord
Because Sakurai heavily implied that he was basically given a list and got to choose the ones he found practical to create. He was given choices. "Why would they choose Geno?" Good question. Why did they choose to have him as the only Square Enix Mii costume in Smash 4? Why are Geno and Mallow even in Ultimate at all despite technically being totally unnecessary from a liscensing standpoint? I dunno, man, it's like it's noticeable that people like him or somethin'.
Did Nintendo or Sakurai choose the DLC costume? There's apparently a difference.

because nintendo has acknowledged geno constantly, and sakurai was picking from a list nintendo made, not nintendo outright picking the 5.
"Constant" is a stretch... they made like one tweet about the guy.

I give you guys credit for staying positive after being dragged through the mud with base roster/Piranha Plant; I literally 100% thought he would make base roster, but with Nintendo at the DLC helm, I've dropped to 0. I would imagine Geno was not on the list Nintendo gave to Sakurai, and I imagine it was more of "Will you do x?" "No." "How about y?", than them revealing their entire hand to him.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How did you get to the end of one of his videos when he puts like an advertisement after like every minute?

He's got to have like 20 ads in his videos

Dan

Smash Lord
inb4 the leaked character list is Nintendo trying to get Sakurai convinced on an SE character until he finally jumped with joy when they said Geno.
Yeah, he absolutely jumped with joy when he had the opportunity to include him base roster but deferred to the likes of Piranha Plant and Isabelle.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, he absolutely jumped with joy when he had the opportunity to include him base roster but deferred to the likes of Piranha Plant and Isabelle.
Exactly, because Square Enix always prefer their character to be DLC in any game

owjies

Smash Journeyman
How did you get to the end of one of his videos when he puts like an advertisement after like every minute?

He's got to have like 20 ads in his videos
I know right. I thought I'd take one for the team and save everyone else the trouble. I just kinda skipped around because all the points he made were rehashes of everything we already know.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Did Nintendo or Sakurai choose the DLC costume? There's apparently a difference.

I give you guys credit for staying positive after being dragged through the mud with base roster/Piranha Plant; I literally 100% thought he would make base roster, but with Nintendo at the DLC helm, I've dropped to 0. I would imagine Geno was not on the list Nintendo gave to Sakurai, and I imagine it was more of "Will you do x?" "No." "How about y?", than them revealing their entire hand to him.
With Sakurai's power to veto, it kind of doesn't matter. Here's this train of thought: Sakurai has publically said he wants the character, why would Nintendo hardcore swerve that? Again, Sakurai has the power of veto and is making a game for your company that will probably break the record for copies sold for the series, why WOULDN'T his wants be taken into consideration? Not only this, Sakurai's wants in this case reflect the fans, the people actually buying the game, so why would you totally toss this out? The dude isn't just a printing press for video games. I think his opinions and views matter given THEY LITERALLY GIVE HIM PERMISSION TO USE HUNDREDS OF THEIR IPS WORTH 140 BILLION DOLLARS.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I have this
Not to be a party popper but half of this isn't really evidence. The best shot Geno have is that Sakurai claimed he wanted him in Brawl, and that when talking about old Characters he always get tons of vote. And that the smash community "generally" want him, which is actually ****ing big evidence lmao!

The artist drawing is as much as an evidence as the KH-co creator saying YES at Sora in Ultimate and deleting the tweet for Exemple.

I know it's like a "best case scenario" issue but y'all should remember to not take "hint" or "evidence" too seriously.

Especially after the sassy Geno Leak and the Grinch Leak. Dear God I ****ing hate that Grinch leak.

Ahem yeah.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Wow, it seems A LOT of new posts and some developments have been made while I was asleep for most of the day. I tried breezing through everything but I'm sure I must have missed at least something notable. So, is there anything notable or valuable that I may have missed?

D

Deleted member

Not to be a party popper but half of this isn't really evidence. The best shot Geno have is that Sakurai claimed he wanted him in Brawl, and that when talking about old Characters he always get tons of vote. And that the smash community "generally" want him, which is actually ****ing big evidence lmao!

The artist drawing is as much as an evidence as the KH-co creator saying YES at Sora in Ultimate and deleting the tweet for Exemple.

I know it's like a "best case scenario" issue but y'all should remember to not take "hint" or "evidence" too seriously.

Especially after the sassy Geno Leak and the Grinch Leak. Dear God I ****ing hate that Grinch leak.

Ahem yeah.
Umm...this is definitely evidence for Geno's inclusion, I don't know what you are talking about

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

Ahem yeah.
Have you ever been on a Court?
Evidence is still Evidence, it doesn't proof something objectively anyways. I, personally, have the Schrödinger Spirit on this so, I'm just waiting for it.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I'll point out again: from what Sakurai has implied, Nintendo did pick the 5, and he then could veto it if he couldn't make them a work as a fighter. There may have been a list, but so far as his tweets implied, the above is the case.

...unless there is another source where he said there was a list that I'm unaware of.

D

Deleted member

That LaxChris video aged poorly, Sakurai literally confirmed that spirits don't deconfirm

Dan

Smash Lord
With Sakurai's power to veto, it kind of doesn't matter. Here's this train of thought: Sakurai has publically said he wants the character, why would Nintendo hardcore swerve that? Again, Sakurai has the power of veto and is making a game for your company that will probably break the record for copies sold for the series, why WOULDN'T his wants be taken into consideration? Not only this, Sakurai's wants in this case reflect the fans, the people actually buying the game, so why would you totally toss this out? The dude isn't just a printing press for video games. I think his opinions and views matter given THEY LITERALLY GIVE HIM PERMISSION TO USE HUNDREDS OF THEIR IPS WORTH 140 BILLION DOLLARS.
Because millionaire Nintendo executives don't obsess over quotes about a 20-year old puppet like we do.

Just because Sakurai likes Geno doesn't mean he dislikes every other character, and won't keep saying no until they tell him Geno, lol.

At the end of the day, it comes down to if Nintendo cares about fans or if they want to advertise for new games and know everyone's gonna buy the DLC no matter who the character is.

owjies

Smash Journeyman

Ahem yeah.
Regarding the artist's drawing. I do think that it's a separate situation from Sassy Geno (rip) because the source is from an artist working at Nintendo rather than a random fake leaker. However, I also think it's important to keep in mind that the timing of the image along with the line, "SMRPG is a topic around the office," may just refer to the Mii Costume and the overall negotiations between Square & Nintendo for the Cloud, Chocobo, Geno package during Smash 4. Regardless, SMRPG being a topic around the Nintendo offices is a good thing.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
D-did you just unironically post a LaxChris video as an argument...

Just because he was given a list doesn't mean that Geno is in. None of us know what characters where on the list. The only reason why the praise from Sakurai is worth mentioning is that if Nintendo was aware of his interest and throw him a bone, in order to get some more "important" (from their point of view) without any problems.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
What do you guys here think of the recent, "Geno is my favorite Earthbound character" meme going around? And then everyone goes, "Oh no, he's from Earthbound 2" or they mention some obscure way to unlock him in Earthbound or Mother 3 lol

D

Deleted member

Because millionaire Nintendo executives don't obsess over quotes about a 20-year old puppet like we do.

Just because Sakurai likes Geno doesn't mean he dislikes every other character, and won't keep saying no until they tell him Geno, lol.

At the end of the day, it comes down to if Nintendo cares about fans or if they want to advertise for new games and know everyone's gonna buy the DLC no matter who the character is.
Can you prove that Nintendo won't choose Geno? No. Can we provide evidence why they are likely to choose Geno? Yes. They acknowledged the 22nd anniversary of Super Mario RPG earlier this year, and it's odd to acknowledge the 22nd anniversary of something and not the 20th. Nintendo bought the IP of Super Mario RPG from Square Enix, and Super Mario RPG was on the SNES Classic. Nintendo knows the fans want him, and they are likely to choose Geno as one of the characters. Does this mean that they surely will? No. We don't know until definite confirmation, but keep throwing out your copy/paste posts about not knowing if Nintendo will choose Geno

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Nintendo bought the IP of Super Mario RPG from Square Enix
Lmao no they didn't.
Square-Enix is still making some-some for every re-release.

The rest of your post is correct thought. There is things that point that he have a chance, but doesn't mean Nintendo will choose him.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Really? Ah, ****. Was planning to buy them separately.

It’s really scummy for Nintendo not to give us that choice. Another notch on my ‘DLC will suck’ board.
Wait Iv'e just realized something.

You can't buy the fighter pass individually. It's only available in the SSBU+Fighters pass article on the eshop.

You can only buy each DLC separatly. Wich make it a total of 30 dollars , not 25 dollars.

This may kill the "X character can encourage to buy the pass" argument...
Probably shouldn't worry about that. They said that the fighters can be purchased separately for $5.99 each. I think that you can only purchase a fighter when they release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom