• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Can you prove that Nintendo won't choose Geno? No. Can we provide evidence why they are likely to choose Geno? Yes. They acknowledged the 22nd anniversary of Super Mario RPG earlier this year, and it's odd to acknowledge the 22nd anniversary of something and not the 20th. Nintendo bought the IP of Super Mario RPG from Square Enix, and Super Mario RPG was on the SNES Classic. Nintendo knows the fans want him, and they are likely to choose Geno as one of the characters. Does this mean that they surely will? No. We don't know until definite confirmation, but keep throwing out your copy/paste posts about not knowing if Nintendo will choose Geno
just ignore him tbh. he's being needlessly negative for no real reason

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Super Mario RPG was never on that page my man.
Super Mario RPG and it's characters are a Square-Enix games and property.
However the Super Mario characters (which IS the IP used and where the games/Series count sales are recorded) isn't.

I'm talking as a big Square-Enix Nerd, you ain't beating me on that hill.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What do you guys here think of the recent, "Geno is my favorite Earthbound character" meme going around? And then everyone goes, "Oh no, he's from Earthbound 2" or they mention some obscure way to unlock him in Earthbound or Mother 3 lol
I wasn't aware of this.

I thought the only "EarthBound 2" meme was Undertale.

Dan

Smash Lord
Can we provide evidence why they are likely to choose Geno?
No, but you can provide evidence why there's a chance they'll choose Geno... temper your expectations guys; I'm on your side.

Maybe he would've been a base roster lock, but Square wanted him as DLC. There wouldn't have been much "choosing" on Nintendo's end though.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Why are people still using the Sakurai praising as an argument when Nintendo decided the characters?
Well, not only did that interview tell us that Sakurai wants him in. He also made it clear that Geno is "incredibly popular," and despite being an old character, "[they] keep getting loads of votes and requests. . .to put him in the game." Of course Nintendo would have access to these analytics as well as Sakurai and Co, and would give weight to that kind of data.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Super Mario RPG was never on that page my man.
Super Mario RPG and it's characters are a Square-Enix games and property.
However the Super Mario characters (which IS the IP used and where the games/Series count sales are recorded) isn't.

I'm talking as a big Square-Enix Nerd, you ain't beating me on that hill.
Yeah, as much as I would love Mario RPG to get freed from the Square vault, it still says, "© 1996 Nintendo/Square. Character: © Nintendo, © Square." on the Wii U VC page.
Fair enough

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What do you guys here think of the recent, "Geno is my favorite Earthbound character" meme going around? And then everyone goes, "Oh no, he's from Earthbound 2" or they mention some obscure way to unlock him in Earthbound or Mother 3 lol
I have never heard of it.

D

Deleted member

No, but you can provide evidence why there's a chance they'll choose Geno... temper your expectations guys; I'm on your side.

Maybe he would've been a base roster lock, but Square wanted him as DLC. There wouldn't have been much "choosing" on Nintendo's end though.
What didn't you understand about the rest of my post? They are likely to choose Geno, don't ignore my points

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOLWut?

Like if you wait for 24 hours behind the waterfall

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys laxchris uploaded a video claiming that sports deconfirm characters from getting in as dlc. You got any opinions if you watched the video?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey guys laxchris uploaded a video claiming that sports deconfirm characters from getting in as dlc. You got any opinions if you watched the video?
LaxChris is not an authority on anything

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Because millionaire Nintendo executives don't obsess over quotes about a 20-year old puppet like we do.

Just because Sakurai likes Geno doesn't mean he dislikes every other character, and won't keep saying no until they tell him Geno, lol.

At the end of the day, it comes down to if Nintendo cares about fans or if they want to advertise for new games and know everyone's gonna buy the DLC no matter who the character is.

You realize this argument could be used for a lot of the cast right? Would there have been any reason to add K. Rool outside fan demand? Pichu? Young Link? Wolf? Snake? "But Sakurai chose those." Yeah but Nintendo's also footing the bill for development and a good chunk of the characters in Smash are commercial dead ends. Do you think Roy has any real commercial and marketing worth to Nintendo? Lucas? Duck Hunt? Ice Climbers? Ike? ROB? Nintendo had to approve all of these and provide the resources and man power to create them. All of these guys cost money. All of these guys used company resources. All of these guys are legally protected intellectual properties. They don't exist in a vacuum.

D

Deleted member

He's LaxChris, don't worry about anything he says, and Sakurai confirmed that spirits do not deconfirm characters, so the video aged poorly

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
We have discussed it a little bit over the last page or two, so you can get a good idea from that.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I mean, LaxChris has a lot of videos claiming a lot of things. It's the little channel that cried "LEAKZ!!"

Dan

Smash Lord
What didn't you understand about the rest of my post? They are likely to choose Geno, don't ignore my points
How can you can assume any character is likely after the gamut of Ultimate reveals? You had fan favorite like Ridley and Rool, new characters like Isabelle and Incineroar, and total WTF like Piranha Plant; expect the unexpected my friend. I want Geno too, but am fully ready to take a Dragon Quest character up my ass. We have no idea what Nintendo's intentions are, so I don't think any character is likely (save Vergeben's glorious track record), but I would say even the most likely character (Steve) is only 50% at this point.

D

Deleted member

How can you can assume any character is likely after the gamut of Ultimate reveals? You had fan favorite like Ridley and Rool, new characters like Isabelle and Incineroar, and total WTF like Piranha Plant; expect the unexpected my friend. I want Geno too, but am fully ready to take a Dragon Quest character up my ***. We have no idea what Nintendo's intentions are, so I don't think any character is likely (save Vergeben's glorious track record), but I would say even the most likely character (Steve) is only 50% at this point.
This is your argument: anything can happen with Nintendo choosing the DLC. Guess what? We know that. We aren't saying Nintendo IS for a FACT going to choose Geno. We are saying that they are LIKELY to choose Geno. Saying that something is going to happen and saying that something is likely to happen are two entirely different things

Last edited by a moderator:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
What I'm arguing is that Geno makes the most sense as the DLC SE rep. Not necessarily that he will be who we end up getting. Nintendo has done a lot of things in the past that make little sense to me.

And for what it's worth, I think the most likely DLC character is Banjo.

Dan

Smash Lord
This is your argument: anything can happen with Nintendo choosing the DLC. Guess what? We know that. We aren't saying Nintendo IS for a FACT going to choose Geno. We are saying that they are LIKELY to choose Geno. Saying that something is going to happen and saying that something is likely to happen are two entirely different things
Likely means there's like a 75% chance they're going to choose Geno; I can't get down with that, as a tweet celebrating the 22nd anniversary literally means nothing for his chances in Smash. They bought the IP so they could put it on the Classic and fans want a lot of characters... I am missing how this makes him "likely".

I'm like at 35%. I think the most generous stance is that there's a chance, a 50% chance he'll be in.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Nintendo doesn't own SMRPG other than the Mario characters.

Square still developed it and owns a lot of the characters in it, so Nintendo had to pay Square if they wanted to put it on the SNES Classic and the Virtual Console stuffs.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
How can you can assume any character is likely after the gamut of Ultimate reveals? You had fan favorite like Ridley and Rool, new characters like Isabelle and Incineroar, and total WTF like Piranha Plant; expect the unexpected my friend. I want Geno too, but am fully ready to take a Dragon Quest character up my ***. We have no idea what Nintendo's intentions are, so I don't think any character is likely (save Vergeben's glorious track record), but I would say even the most likely character (Steve) is only 50% at this point.
That's actually what gives me hope for Geno. I think those that assume Dragon Quest is a lock are being short sighted as well. There have been a lot of points made in this thread to show that DQ is not a slam dunk even with its long history and success. You're right, we don't know Nintendo's intentions yet. However, it seems like finding a balance when selecting characters between fan demand, promotion, moveset potential, difficulty to implement, and gaming history is a pattern that has held true in both 4 and Ultimate so far. That and Sakurai really needs a vacation. If Nintendo goes with five Corrins, I think they'll be disappointed with the response.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

Dan

Smash Lord
Listen, we have seen in the past Nintendo going against Sakurai, forcing him to put Corrin in even though he thought there were too many FE characters (according to his Famitsu column), just as a walking advertisement; this is what we're dealing with, so you could be in for a rude awakening. They have everything to gain from putting walking advertisements in the game, and only half as much for including dead fan favorites, as the DLC will sell no matter who the characters are.

Hopefully we will be bamboozled and there will be a SMRPG sequel/remaster reveal coinciding with a Geno reveal in a Nintendo Direct, making everyone happy; that would make sense, but I definitely agree with owjies that it could be a healthy combination of fan favorites, new characters and a WTF pick. Sakurai is not Nintendo though.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Listen, we have seen in the past Nintendo going against Sakurai, forcing him to put Corrin in even though he thought there were too many FE characters
as I understand it, this was a case of him wanting to make a character based on a current game, and his dev team wanted to do corrin, and convinced him despite his apprehension.

Dan

Smash Lord
as I understand it, this was a case of him wanting to make a character based on a current game, and his dev team wanted to do corrin, and convinced him despite his apprehension.
I'm too lazy to dig up the article, but that sounds about right.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I'm too lazy to dig up the article, but that sounds about right.
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...-corrin-and-bayonetta-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/
"Moving on to Corrin, Sakurai mentions that since they’ve been making DLC for Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS, they’ve been thinking about adding a character from a title that’s about to or just saw release. The game of choice here falls to Fire Emblem Fates, which came out in Japan back in June and will be heading west in February. Sakurai writes that he himself thought they were adding too many characters from Fire Emblem, but after speaking with the development staff, he was assured that Corrin would make for an interesting fighter. "

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I remember back in 2013 there was an article about Alpha Dream wanting to use Geno and Mallow

https://nintendoeverything.com/alph...no-and-mallow-could-be-used-in-a-future-game/

"
In an interview with IGN, AlphaDream producer Yoshihiko Maekawa spoke about the possibility of revisiting Super Mario RPG. As we’ve mentioned previously, Maekawa was co-director on the classic title.

Maekawa shared an interesting response about revisiting two of Super Mario RPG’s well-known characters: Geno and Mallow. He said:

“I was wondering if that might be some way to approach using Geno and Mallow in a future game, so that we’d still be able to look for fun new ideas like Mr. Ohtani was talking about. We wouldn’t get bogged down, but we could still provide a view of these characters for fans who really want to see one.”

Geno and Mallow haven’t reappeared since Super Mario RPG’s release. It’d be neat to see how Nintendo and AlphaDream imagine the two characters in a new game, wouldn’t it?

"

To this day nothing has come from it

Dan

Smash Lord
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...-corrin-and-bayonetta-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/
"Moving on to Corrin, Sakurai mentions that since they’ve been making DLC for Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS, they’ve been thinking about adding a character from a title that’s about to or just saw release. The game of choice here falls to Fire Emblem Fates, which came out in Japan back in June and will be heading west in February. Sakurai writes that he himself thought they were adding too many characters from Fire Emblem, but after speaking with the development staff, he was assured that Corrin would make for an interesting fighter. "
I kind of agree with this philosophy, in don't be afraid to overrepresent franchises so long as they have worthy characters, but at a certain point you learn nearly any character can be a fighter.

I remember back in 2013 there was an article about Alpha Dream wanting to use Geno and Mallow

https://nintendoeverything.com/alph...no-and-mallow-could-be-used-in-a-future-game/

"
In an interview with IGN, AlphaDream producer Yoshihiko Maekawa spoke about the possibility of revisiting Super Mario RPG. As we’ve mentioned previously, Maekawa was co-director on the classic title.

Maekawa shared an interesting response about revisiting two of Super Mario RPG’s well-known characters: Geno and Mallow. He said:

“I was wondering if that might be some way to approach using Geno and Mallow in a future game, so that we’d still be able to look for fun new ideas like Mr. Ohtani was talking about. We wouldn’t get bogged down, but we could still provide a view of these characters for fans who really want to see one.”

Geno and Mallow haven’t reappeared since Super Mario RPG’s release. It’d be neat to see how Nintendo and AlphaDream imagine the two characters in a new game, wouldn’t it?

"

To this day nothing has come from it
Geno should've been in Mario/Rabbids.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have a question for all of you, how would the likes of Geno and Mallow be "modernized" if there were to be an SMRPG remake. I know this has been asked before, but after the remake thing from earlier, it just feels like a fun topic to revisit.

Edit: Fixed some mistakes, kinda tired.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What I'm arguing is that Geno makes the most sense as the DLC SE rep. Not necessarily that he will be who we end up getting. Nintendo has done a lot of things in the past that make little sense to me.

And for what it's worth, I think the most likely DLC character is Banjo.
This. Everything points to Geno but he's not a lock. The evidence is pretty good all in all. I think the liscensing issues are an enormous obstacle for Geno's competitors. Look at Cloud in Smash. Two straight music rips, no spirits aside from Mallow and Geno, and no assist trophies. 4 JPGS is what Square was willing to concede between Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate... And this was just working with Square Enix. Let's break down the others who would need more than just Square Enix:

Slime, Luminary: Armor Project, Bird Studio, and Koichi Sugiyama (who only allows midis outside Japan and has literally only worked on nothing but Dragon Quest games since 2002. Noted to be notoriously hard to work with. )

Erdrick: all of the above plus Heart Beat.

Crono: Armor Project, Bird Studio, and Yasunori Mitsuda (who composed music for Brawl and Smash 4)

Sora: Disney and Yoko Shimomura (another Smash veteran and the composer of SMRPG too)

Sephiroth: Nobou Umetsu (despite having a record company, personally owns most of the tracks from FF I to FF XIV. Currently on an indefinite hiatus apparently due to illness. Also notoriously hard to work with apparently.)

Geno: Yoko Shimomura (has worked on every Smash game since Brawl)

MattX20

Smash Hero
I have a question for all of you, how would the likes of Geno and Mallow be "modernized" if there were to be an SMRPG remake. I know this has been asked before, but after the remake thing from earlier, it just fells like a fun topic to revisit.
Chances are the same way that the other major Mario character have been "modernized".

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
This. Everything points to Geno but he's not a lock. The evidence is pretty good all in all. I think the liscensing issues are an enormous obstacle for Geno's competitors. Look at Cloud in Smash. Two straight music rips, no spirits aside from Mallow and Geno, and no assist trophies. 4 JPGS is what Square was willing to concede between Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate... And this was just working with Square Enix. Let's break down the others who would need more than just Square Enix:

Slime, Luminary: Armor Project, Bird Studio, and Koichi Sugiyama (who only allows midis outside Japan and has literally only worked on nothing but Dragon Quest games since 2002. Noted to be notoriously hard to work with. )

Erdrick: all of the above plus Heart Beat.

Crono: Armor Project, Bird Studio, and Yasunori Mitsuda (who composed music for Brawl and Smash 4)

Sora: Disney and Yoko Shimomura (another Smash veteran and the composer of SMRPG too)

Sephiroth: Nobou Umetsu (despite having a record company, personally owns most of the tracks from FF I to FF XIV. Currently on an indefinite hiatus apparently due to illness. Also notoriously hard to work with apparently.)

Geno: Yoko Shimomura (has worked on every Smash game since Brawl)
Honestly, looking at this, it is of course Geno as most likely, but I'd say cutting out Sora since that's what Vergeben is saying and counting in the fact Sephiroth has a sword that's, well, his sword, I think Crono would be second most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom