• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Sephiroth and Ridley are not the same situation. Ridley was big meanwhile Sephiroth's sword, the Masamune, is big, or, rather, long. The Masamune is roughly 8 feet long, making it about two feet longer than Cloud's buster sword. This means that it would need to be bigger than the biggest sword in Smash. The only time Sephiroth's sword is scaled down is when he's made chibi or cartoony. It being ridiculously long is basically its signature characteristic.

They scaled Ridley down but he's still notably the biggest character, especially when the game shows off that he's regularly crouching. With the Masamune, it would still need to follow this principle because it has followed this principle in all his serious appearances. Picture Shulk's aerial hitboxes and imagine that they're always out. Now imagine that they're even longer? See the problem? Sephiroth by nature is also a very quick character so you now have a rushdown character with absurd range. Again, see the problem?

Sure, you could nerf the character but that would also take away who the character is. Sephiroth is supposed to be goofy strong and goofy quick with a sword that could poke you in the *** if he were sitting in the back of the bus. His signature weapon is an extension of him and making it smaller or giving it significant lag would betray the design of the character itself. Without its absurd length, it would just be another sword, not the Masamune, and thus wouldn't reflect the true Sephiroth.
And I think the reason Sakurai didnt want Ridley in was to keep Ridley to scale and true to his game, but I think he reconsidered that just due to Ridley's popularity.

Keeping this in mind, Isaac would also be different IMO than other sword users because his brand of magic is unique to Golden Sun. He can summon a giant hand. And no one but Donkey Kong does earthquakes or earthrelated stuff.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The problem with this argument is that Square Enix developed all of these games. Legally speaking, the Nintendo characters were the guest stars, not the Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy characters. Plus, when you look at the back of the boxes for these games, you'll still find that the DQ characters are liscensed by Square Enix, Bird Studio, and Armor Project.

https://wii.bigboxcollection.com/MarioSportsMix.box
Okay. I can admit that I did not know that

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Here is a question I don't recall ever being asked, what is Square's Switch team doing as of now? You know, the one that made Octopath. They said there was going to be no DLC for Octopath, so I imagine they must be working on a new game.
S U P E R

M A R I O

R P G

R E M A K E

O R

S E Q U E L
Yeah they said on an Interview that they were working with Nintendo on Past Titles.

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
to be honest and to speak about the marketing value of Geno

-when the grinch leak was still possible, reading japanese reactions from 2ch was mostly "these are gaijin characters" even for Geno

-Super Mario RPG was never released in Europe at the time, so it's a big deal. It came out way after on virtual console but the hype was gone and so it's not a popular nostalgia pick there

So in a way, most of the popularity for Geno comes from America, Japan isn't really fond of this character as they would rather get Dragon Quest, and Europe except those who played it on virtual console doesn't know him or doesn't have the nostalgia factor
On the other hand, Dragon Quest doesn't have any marketing value in the west

Only two characters are known and somehow liked as i dont want to say popular worldwide, and it's Sephiroth and Chrono

Edit: Also the big value for Square Enix would be to try to make dragon quest popular in the west through another game like smash

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
13 years!?

After waiting for that long, you really deserve Geno. :)
I've been wanting Geno since 2008, about 10 years now, but I never bothered on joining the Smash forums until later this month.

This is why I'll be angry if some non-requested Square rep gets in before Geno because there are some of us that have been wanting him for almost two decades now, and most have been wanting him for 8-15 years now. We'll be angry because it's a giant middle finger to our face from Square. It's basically like somebody cutting in front of you while you're waiting in line and they end up getting the last product you want to buy, and then there's you that doesn't get anything because some ******bag cut in front of you. It's why I get angry whenever some Sora fan or DQ fan that are new Smash fans talk **** on me for wanting Geno, a character that's been MORE REQUESTED and REQUESTED LONGER than Sora and Slime.

However, I was totally fine with Cloud's inclusion in Smash because he opened the door for Geno! :)
Plus, we got a Mii costume, and I was so happy that us Geno fans at least got something.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Sephiroth and Ridley are not the same situation. Ridley was big meanwhile Sephiroth's sword, the Masamune, is big, or, rather, long. The Masamune is roughly 8 feet long, making it about two feet longer than Cloud's buster sword. This means that it would need to be bigger than the biggest sword in Smash. The only time Sephiroth's sword is scaled down is when he's made chibi or cartoony. It being ridiculously long is basically its signature characteristic.

They scaled Ridley down but he's still notably the biggest character, especially when the game shows off that he's regularly crouching. With the Masamune, it would still need to follow this principle because it has followed this principle in all his serious appearances. Picture Shulk's aerial hitboxes and imagine that they're always out. Now imagine that they're even longer? See the problem? Sephiroth by nature is also a very quick character so you now have a rushdown character with absurd range. Again, see the problem?

Sure, you could nerf the character but that would also take away who the character is. Sephiroth is supposed to be goofy strong and goofy quick with a sword that could poke you in the *** if he were sitting in the back of the bus. His signature weapon is an extension of him and making it smaller or giving it significant lag would betray the design of the character itself. Without its absurd length, it would just be another sword, not the Masamune, and thus wouldn't reflect the true Sephiroth.
I mean

yMg4uo6.jpg

It's still pretty long here, so it still has the essence of the Masamune, but it isn't so long that it reaches half of Final Destination

Plus I'm pretty sure the Dissida games balance him out by giving a lot of cooldown on his moves. you could make it that if he misses then he has longer cooldown or something

Plus you could make him a Glass Cannon or something

all i'm saying is that there are ways of balancing Sephiroth while still keeping the core of his character.

D

Deleted member

to be honest and to speak about the marketing value of Geno

-when the grinch leak was still possible, reading japanese reactions from 2ch was mostly "these are gaijin characters" even for Geno

-Super Mario RPG was never released in Europe at the time, so it's a big deal. It came out way after on virtual console but the hype was gone and so it's not a popular nostalgia pick there

So in a way, most of the popularity for Geno comes from America, Japan isn't really fond of this character as they would rather get Dragon Quest, and Europe except those who played it on virtual console doesn't know him or doesn't have the nostalgia factor
On the other hand, Dragon Quest doesn't have any marketing value in the west

Only two characters are known and somehow liked as i dont want to say popular worldwide, and it's Sephiroth and Chrono
In terms of popularity, DQ is more popular in Japan then SMRPG is, but SMRPG is popular in Japan also. For Smash, there isn't much demand for a DQ character even in Japan, but Geno is consistent in polls, ranking at least top 20 in Japan and top 5 in America

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I’m gonna be straight with you man: You can seriously cut down on the amount of words you’re using to make your points and still make them in a perfectly understandable way. Your posts take up almost an entire page and are just restating things you’ve said a dozen times now. You don’t have to play devils advocate literally every time someone makes a certain argument for Geno getting in over any other character possibility.
I'm aware of this. I prefer to be as thought out as possible when I'm making my statements and I also like to address almost every, if not every, part of someone's response to me/comments. People seem to respond somewhat positively to it in different areas, so I'm likely to continue doing so. I do repeat some of what I've said, but attempt to phrase it in a different context or light to provide different perspectives on why I'm saying what I am and how I'm approaching the issue.

I'm not entirely playing Devil's Advocate either. I just disagree with some of the reasoning being made against other characters and in support of Geno. Some arguments are definitely valid, and others just don't hold up as well for me. And we're having discussions on Geno's chances versus others sometimes, so...

Dang, you make some excellent points I do hand that to you. I think its all a matter of priority. Do you prioritize legacy and history, or fan demand and potential? I want to say Sakurai would choose Geno, since hes wanted to make him a fighter and if he had any say in the list NoJ gave him, he'd pick tht. But he might not. I don't think DQ would be a horrible choice, (maybe Slime) but if what you're saying is true, then i think its a business decision from SE's standpoint. I don't think exclusive DQ merch would help Nintendo in the long run, since they already get most of DQ stuff anyway and it doesnt sell as much in the West. But i do think legal ramifications are very important. If we're maintaing thats how we didnt get Geno earlier, and thats GENO, a legendary franchise character owned by three seperate companies could be difficult, especially when it was hard enough getting in one character solely owned by SE.

https://www.destructoid.com/nes-and...the-10-million-global-sales-mark-529201.phtml

Here's where I got it from. Combined with NES Classic sales are 10 million. doesnt really state how much each sold but cool, in between 5-9 million as a hypothesis.

But why not? We just has a thread discussing our first time being introduced and playing Super Mario RPG and how that led us all here. My main point was that this was the first time SMRPG was available in Europe and Australia, which can apply to "widespread" appeal. And if Nintendo bases decisions off of that, thats important to note.

And also let's not act like the NES and SNES classic weren't HUGE for nintendo? Spawning the Playstation Classic (and i think the Dreamcast Classic). Additionally, as mentioned earlier, it makes me wonder why DQ or Chrono Trigger weren't released along with the NES or SNES Classic at least in Japan only versions. Even Ninja Gaiden made it to NES Classic.
The only sales figure I've got for the SNES Classic is this one from April: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...edition_has_sold_5_28_million_units_worldwide

Then the NES Classic I can only find an official number from April 2017 for 2.3 Million: http://time.com/4759594/nes-classic-millions-sales/
and later on it outsold all the other systems on the market in June 2018 from an article earlier this year: https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/2/17642236/nes-classic-npd-sales-data-june-2018

So I'd say we probably have around a pretty close split. I'm sure both systems have sold well since those numbers have released and saw a boost during the holiday season as all major consoles usually do. Of course they have been quite large sources of revenue for Nintendo, and created a brand new market for more premium plug and play consoles. I will never deny that, though I do question if Nintendo finally chose to release them as a way to deal with the drought of the end of the Wii U era (though this applies less to the SNES Classic, but I suspect plans for it were made long before the Switch was officially a major success).

No Chrono Trigger on SNES Classic baffles me to this day. That was the single biggest game missing from the console (Though Final Fantasy II (IV) and the other DKC games also should have been there and maybe the missed opportunity to translate the FE SNES games). Dragon Quest is also confusing, but if the rights really are that complicated, I guess there is a point to be made. But how big of a priority would be getting these games on the Classic line of Systems? Again, I don't think you can apply the framework of "well, they didn't do it in one situation" to a completely different situation that could have entirely different implications.

The reason I oppose including the SNES Classic data in for Super Mario RPG for any numerical count is the fact that you're selling an entire system with a variety of games to people. Maybe a really big Star Fox fan bought the system for Star Fox 2's official release and nothing else? Or how many people maybe bought the system because they like platformers of the era but also don't like the RPGs and never touched them? Or how many people bought a system out of nostalgia and barely played the system enough to justify the purchase? All of these scenarios could potentially occur, and all of them involve no exposure to even Super Mario RPG as a game. And do we count a person who bought the SNES Classic but also originally bought Super Mario RPG?

You see where I'm going with this? There's a lot of variables with regards to the sales of the system that could seemingly have nothing to do with Super Mario RPG besides the fact they were on the device that was sold. The SNES Classic is certainly a chance for more exposure, I won't deny that, but I will reject the notion that the sales of the system are a 1:1 correlation of complete exposure of Super Mario RPG. I'd be more willing to believe Nintendo took the Classic line seriously if they didn't make mention of the Classic lineup as Reggie does in this interview: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-s-reggie-fils-aime-on-hopes-for-an-n64-classic-1830465672

Edit: Did forget to mention I will try to be more concise, but surprise, surprise, I suck at it lol

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean

View attachment 180309

It's still pretty long here, so it still has the essence of the Masamune, but it isn't so long that it reaches half of Final Destination

Plus I'm pretty sure the Dissida games balance him out by giving a lot of cooldown on his moves. you could make it that if he misses then he has longer cooldown or something

Plus you could make him a Glass Cannon or something

all i'm saying is that there are ways of balancing Sephiroth while still keeping the core of his character.
That's Dissida, not Smash, a completely different game engine. Sakurai is very particular on how characters are depicted. What I see here is a lot of stipulations to make Sephiroth "work" rather than stay true to the character. Basically to make him "balanced" you'd have to apply all your suggested nerfs, making a light Sephiroth with tons of cool down. Does that sound like Sephiroth? This creates a character of extremes and not in s good way. Mewtwo is light but his moves hit hard and doesn't have a lot of cool down. He's a strong character with a notable weakness. To make Sephiroth work in Smash, you'd basically have to nerf him to the ground and, if that's the case, why bother?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Super Mario RPG HD is confirmed boys, pack up the thread, we're done here.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Super Mario RPG HD is confirmed boys, pack up the thread, we're done here.
If only.

Someone mentioned that maybe the mii costumes were a market test.

I wonder if the Geno costume sold well.

I didn't buy the individual geno costume, I bought the pack with Cloud, the stage, and the mii costumes.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
A SMRPG remake on the Switch ... Doesn't sound that unlikely... Especially with M&L kinda abusing remakes , and Paper Mario beeing silent since Color Splash... If they want to reboot Mario RPGs , Geno in Smash + SMRPG Remake is an instant win.

If SE could work with Nintendo on that , that could give them a better relationship... And copyright wise , it would be simple , it would be just between Nintendo and SE ...

Geno is like that nice guy who got 15/20 on the last test , and would help you if you politely ask for . But Erdrick got a 20/20 and is beeing over-confident with him and would only help you if you call him "Erdrick-Sama" and give him money. Not impossible... But is it worth it? That's how I'm viewing the whole situation.

DQ may bring more than Geno , but It's still a big risk licencing wise , and heck , who know if it could work and that SE is ready to have DQ main titles/exclusive titles on the Switch ... It's a lot that need to be done , even just to get the character in Smash for history's sake.

Geno may only open the "Reboot Mario RPGs genra and make SE/Nintendo more buddy buddy" road , but It's a safest one that is almost sure to work.
It also give a good image of both companies in my opinion "They're listening to fans"... They only have to say "Geno , the starsend savior join the fight ! Not everyone may know him , but a lot of people asked for him." and they already kind of did with Chrom/Dark Samus...

It's like going off-stage with Mario , and instead of a simple Back-air , you do a cape , double jump F.L.U.D.D., get back on stage so double jump back , cape again the opponent , and dunk him with Mario's F-air. Sure , more hype , but if you fail one step , everything is dead.
That's this whole situation in my opinion...

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
thinking about it, im 100% convinced with geno as dlc. square wouldnt use a character like geno, with actual fan demand, as a red herring to hide some DQ character no one cares about. itd make them look bad and people would lose a **** ton of hype for the dlc

D

Deleted member

thinking about it, im 100% convinced with geno as dlc. square wouldnt use a character like geno, with actual fan demand, as a red herring to hide some DQ character no one cares about. itd make them look bad and people would lose a **** ton of hype for the dlc
I know man, he is so likely, that if he is or isn't in, I will cry. I will cry from the nostalgia and want for him if he makes it, I will cry if he doesn't make it because of how much of a missed opportunity it would be. I can indeed confirm that my source is 100% true, that I will cry either way

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
to be honest i think it's between Geno or Chrono

sephiroth, dragon quest, not a chance, my guts tell me no about them

And i'm starting to go towards Geno.
The funny thing is, the grinch leak and the huge disappointment after the direct might as well have helped him too.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
As someone just poking his head in, why are you guys so confident Geno is a lock? Don't get me wrong, I really want him as DLC, but what points have made this so strongly in his favor?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
to be honest i think it's between Geno or Chrono

sephiroth, dragon quest, not a chance, my guts tell me no about them

And i'm starting to go towards Geno.
The funny thing is, the grinch leak and the huge disappointment after the direct might as well have helped him too.
Yeah, I'm steadily thinking that Grinch leak may have accidentally predicted some things right under the smoke and mirrors of inaccuracy.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay, so we've talked about Dragon Quest's liscensing and the advertising angle to death: what do the actual characters bring to Smash? All the third party characters in Smash have added something new:

-Snake: Explosive specialist including remote controlled C4.

-Sonic: stupid fast. The fastest character.

-Megaman: Projectile specialist. Most of his attacks are projectiles or disjointed.

-Pac-Man: pretty much a love letter to arcade gaming with references to 20 Namco arcade games.

-Ryu: fights like a traditional fighting game character.

-Cloud: limit system, like in Final Fantasy.

-Bayonetta: witch time and bat within.

What do the Dragon Quest characters bring to the table?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
As someone just poking his head in, why are you guys so confident Geno is a lock? Don't get me wrong, I really want him as DLC, but what points have made this so strongly in his favor?
Vergeben and PolarPanda mostly, as well as statements from Nintendo/Square Enix, Geno/Mallow being the only SE spirits, etc etc etc. Basically, the planets and stars are aligning right now and saying Geno is in Smash.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Okay, so we've talked about Dragon Quest's liscensing and the advertising angle to death: what do the actual characters bring to Smash? All the third party characters in Smash have added something new:

-Megaman: Projectile specialist. Most of his attacks are projectiles or disjointed.

-Pac-Man: pretty much a love letter to arcade gaming with references to 20 Namco arcade games.

not really sure, but geno could bring timed hits to his moveset, especially the red star charging for his super moves

insider knowledge, observations about ownership of IP, statements from vergeben, statements from sakurai, and a lot more

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Let's see, Alena's a fist fighter, Slime ROCKETS with giant tanks and has a bunch of sub-species, there's various spellcasters (Jess is a pyromancer, for one), Torneko is an ordinary danged merchant, the twins Maya and Meena are a fortuneteller/dancer pair (good luck hiding those legs tho), Yangus wields an axe, and that's just all who I can name off the top of my head.

Maybe a party system is the best approach, elaborate as it would be. :ultpokemontrainer: Just imagine a FS where the opponents get mauled on a DQ battle screen.

Last edited:

KidCham

Smash Apprentice
One of the thing i thought about too is that Sakurai likes to poke Square Enix.
August direct: the non necessary look at the only 2 musics from Final Fantasy.

November direct: the Geno icon.
If we think this way: starting with:

Sakurai knows Geno is a fan request (he stated it with the Costume).
Sakurai likes Geno and wanted him in.
Square Enix might have denied him the base roster seat for Geno, so only DLC

what if this little geno icon spotting during the direct (they perfectly know he was visible, they go over and over these things to know what to show) was Sakurai's way to say to the fan "he's here soon" and to say to Square Enix "**** you he's in" the same way he showed the 2 pieces of music from Final Fantasy to poke at Square Enix

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

> He is one of the 3 most requested characters for Smash, and the only one who isn't confirmed yet

> Geno had a Mii costume in Smash 4, and the only Mii costume to get a splash screen

> Sakurai has stated in an article in 2016 that he likes the character, knows that he is highly requested, and wanted to add him in Brawl and Smash 4

> Super Mario RPG was on the WiiU Virtual Console and the SNES Classic

> In December 2015, a senior artist for Nintendo posted on twitter "Super Mario RPG has been quite the topic lately, so Geno felt right to draw" and posted a picture of Geno, and this was taked down 3 years later

> In 2016, Sakurai bought a Vifam gun, and he could be using it as a reference for Geno's gun

> Nintendo of America made a tweet earlier this year on the 22nd anniversary of Super Mario RPG "Are you team Mallow or team Geno?" Odd to wish something a happy 22nd anniversary and not the 20th

> Vergeben said that a Square Enix rep is coming as the first DLC, and Geno is one of the names on his list, but a source told him to "not take Geno too seriously" which implies that the SE rep is most likely Geno, considering how SE handles leaks

> Sakurai and Nintendo already have the rights to Geno, as evidence by the Mii costume in Smash 4, the battle token in Ultimate, and the spirit in Ultimate, and Sakurai confirmed that spirits do not deconfirm characters

Things are looking good for our puppet

Add in: PolarPanda PolarPanda source has heard from Nintendo of America that Geno will be DLC

Another add in: Jon from GX is known for making INSANELY specific predictions, and he "predicts" that Geno will be the first DLC character

Last edited by a moderator:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
> He is one of the 3 most requested characters for Smash, and the only one who isn't confirmed yet

> Geno had a Mii costume in Smash 4, and the only Mii costume to get a splash screen

> Sakurai has stated in an article in 2016 that he likes the character, knows that he is highly requested, and wanted to add him in Brawl and Smash 4

> Super Mario RPG was on the WiiU Virtual Console and the SNES Classic

> In December 2015, a senior artist for Nintendo posted on twitter "Super Mario RPG has been quite the topic lately, so Geno felt right to draw" and posted a picture of Geno, and this was taked down 3 years later

> In 2016, Sakurai bought a Vifam gun, and he could be using it as a reference for Geno's gun

> Nintendo of America made a tweet earlier this year on the 22nd anniversary of Super Mario RPG "Are you team Mallow or team Geno?" Odd to wish something a happy 22nd anniversary and not the 20th

> Vergeben said that a Square Enix rep is coming as the first DLC, and Geno is one of the names on his list, but a source told him to "not take Geno too seriously" which implies that the SE rep is most likely Geno, considering how SE handles leaks

> Sakurai and Nintendo already have the rights to Geno, as evidence by the Mii costume in Smash 4, the battle token in Ultimate, and the spirit in Ultimate, and Sakurai confirmed that spirits do not deconfirm characters

Things are looking good for our puppet
Source on that? (I mostly just wanna see the art, I believe you.)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Wait Iv'e just realized something.

You can't buy the fighter pass individually. It's only available in the SSBU+Fighters pass article on the eshop.

You can only buy each DLC separatly. Wich make it a total of 30 dollars , not 25 dollars.

This may kill the "X character can encourage to buy the pass" argument...
Really? Ah, ****. Was planning to buy them separately.

It’s really scummy for Nintendo not to give us that choice. Another notch on my ‘DLC will suck’ board.

I've been wanting Geno since 2008, about 10 years now, but I never bothered on joining the Smash forums until later this month.

This is why I'll be angry if some non-requested Square rep gets in before Geno because there are some of us that have been wanting him for almost two decades now, and most have been wanting him for 8-15 years now. We'll be angry because it's a giant middle finger to our face from Square. It's basically like somebody cutting in front of you while you're waiting in line and they end up getting the last product you want to buy, and then there's you that doesn't get anything because some ******bag cut in front of you. It's why I get angry whenever some Sora fan or DQ fan that are new Smash fans talk **** on me for wanting Geno, a character that's been MORE REQUESTED and REQUESTED LONGER than Sora and Slime.

However, I was totally fine with Cloud's inclusion in Smash because he opened the door for Geno! :)
Plus, we got a Mii costume, and I was so happy that us Geno fans at least got something.
I’m basically the same, I’ve wanted Geno since Brawl, although I’d be pretty happy with most SE reps because I’m a DQ fan. (Sora and Crono would be super hype as well).

Slime is pretty self-explanatory. Stretching, bouncing, carrying people over its head. Probably bring a mother****ing giant tank as a Final Smash.

As for Erdrick, that’s a bit more dicey, since you can get into the sword+magic archetype (though to be fair, only Robin is one of those in Smash). Since Dragon Quest III introduced the Class System, maybe there could be a stance change mechanic?

I have yet to play DQ11, so I don’t know what you could do with Luminary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom