• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I actually told Papa I would swallow his tears when he wasn't a Deluxe... how come I didn't get a warning for that?
When complaining that you were warned unfairly it's always a good idea to bring up times when you were objectively in the wrong. Mods are way more likely to listen to complaints from people who have a history of trolling rather than one time offenders.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah no offense but the There revealing geno as a mii costume just to fake out is just stupid why even reveal him as a mii costume in the first place then since mii costumes are basically consolations prizes?
On a basic level: because they can. So far the only reasons people have given for not being possible is because it's "dumb" or "scummy" but I think people grossly overestimate how much Nintendo would actually care about that sort of thing. Remember how they full blown mocked the fanbase about "too many swords" in Byleth's trailer, only to be even more vindicated when people were over the moon about Steve and Sephiroth's reveals? People were mad about the price of the Link's Awakening Remake and Mario 3D All Stars but people bought it anyways. Mario Kart Tour is predatory as hell and yet the updates keep on rolling in. People were mad about the lack of content in base game Kirby Star Allies and Animal Crossing New Horizons but both games pulled in impressive sales numbers. Given the fact that we're currently in the middle of the whole #freemelee controversy, promoting a popular character months later after making them a 75 cent costume is pretty far down the list of heinous things that Nintendo has done in recent history.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
“They can” doesn’t mean they will

does that mean Travis touchdown is coming? Bomberman? Hell, why not tifa?
Literally why not at this point? Arguably all the DLC characters so far were "oh, that makes sense" only in hindsight according to most of the fanbase and the writing is already on the wall that it's going to keep happening. "OF COURSE Waluigi was picked, assist trophies deconfirming was just a fan rule."

It's kind of weird so many people are bent out of shape about this given much bigger people than me in the Geno community like Papagenos and Terminal Montage have declared it officially over. Is me changing my opinion that much of a grand prize compared to a dude that has 2.62 MILLION subscribers?

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I've said this before but if our only way to justify a Geno costume is 'cos they can' then that speaks volumes for how likely we think he is but are just keeping it alive for the character. It's fine hoping but the reasons being conjured show that we may as well drum up support and focus on that instead of trying to make Geno seem feasible when he honestly isn't.

Btw heads up for mods but that tomasgaz kid has rejoined. Already banned luckily. Him looking at the thread wouldn't have been the best thing considering how many times he's been banned

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've said this before but if our only way to justify a Geno costume is 'cos they can' then that speaks volumes for how likely we think he is but are just keeping it alive for the character. It's fine hoping but the reasons being conjured show that we may as well drum up support and focus on that instead of trying to make Geno seem feasible when he honestly isn't.

Btw heads up for mods but that tomasgaz kid has rejoined.
But that's the thing too, Plant wasn't "logical", until it happened. Min Min wasn't "logical" as the ARMS rep, until she was. Final Fantasy wasn't "logical" as the first third party franchise to double dip with a unique character, until he was. Banjo wasn't logical. Joker wasn't logical. Byleth wasn't logical. We've hit this wall over and over again with almost every DLC character and we, myself included, scramble without fail to say "oh, it actually made sense the entire time." As Polarthief said on Star Road earlier, "I'm kind of burned out on the 0% or 100% debates.'

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
“They can” doesn’t mean they will

does that mean Travis touchdown is coming? Bomberman? Hell, why not tifa?
I'm ready for that flood gate.

Question is, are you?

Also, we have one last Hail Mary regarding this coming March. Mario 35th ends in March, and so many Mario announcements got delayed. Anniversaries almost never matter until they do matter, but considering the rumors of a remake or sequel to SMRPG, March is also the 25th Anniversary of the Japanese release of SMRPG.

Would be crazy if they gave us Geno's costume as just a formality because it was contracted to appear there with Sephy, only to reveal SMRPG Remake/Sequel in February...OH SIKE, IT'S GENO FOR SMASH! DOUBLE SIKE, SMRPG REMAKE/SEQUEL IS REAL TOO! Gottem with the Isabelle, HA THEY NEVER SAW IT COMING, they thought that a returning costume killed their character's chances when we already had it negotiated for! What nerds!

Nintendo: Damn, now we got both huge sales on the costume AND the pass and character pack, which we wouldn't have gotten if we released the costume at the same time as him. Perfect Business Sense TM.

Square: wheezing Bruh, did you SEE them, Nintendo? They all thought you couldn't get two characters from us in a single pass! What kind of idiot thinks that?!

Sakurai: shrugs The fandom to my biggest game, I guess.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
But that's the thing too, Plant wasn't "logical", until it happened. Min Min wasn't "logical" as the ARMS rep, until she was. Final Fantasy wasn't "logical" as the first third party franchise to double dip with a unique character, until he was. Banjo wasn't logical. Joker wasn't logical. Byleth wasn't logical. We've hit this wall over and over again with almost every DLC character and we, myself included, scramble without fail to say "oh, it actually made sense the entire time." As Polarthief said on Star Road earlier, "I'm kind of burned out on the 0% or 100% debates.'
Idk man, I think the standards there are different. Just equating the bare bones standard of anything can happen to it. Obviously nothing is wrong with hoping but for months we have been saying that the mii costume showing up would be a death sentence and was a notch in his favour. Nothing has changed aside from the costume showing up so why isn't this the hypothetical death sentence? Its just that after everything that has been said about the lack of the mii costume before it showed up, its kind of obvious that people are putting way too much stock into his chances even after the outfit returned. Im willing to let it play out but after all that has been said about the mii, trying to make him still seem reasonable just for the character is kind of pointless imo.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm ready for that flood gate.

Question is, are you?

Also, we have one last Hail Mary regarding this coming March. Mario 35th ends in March, and so many Mario announcements got delayed. Anniversaries almost never matter until they do matter, but considering the rumors of a remake or sequel to SMRPG, March is also the 25th Anniversary of the Japanese release of SMRPG.

Would be crazy if they gave us Geno's costume as just a formality because it was contracted to appear there with Sephy, only to reveal SMRPG Remake/Sequel in February...OH SIKE, IT'S GENO FOR SMASH! DOUBLE SIKE, SMRPG REMAKE/SEQUEL IS REAL TOO! Gottem with the Isabelle, HA THEY NEVER SAW IT COMING, they thought that a returning costume killed their character's chances when we already had it negotiated for! What nerds!

Nintendo: Damn, now we got both huge sales on the costume AND the pass and character pack, which we wouldn't have gotten if we released the costume at the same time as him. Perfect Business Sense TM.

Square: wheezing Bruh, did you SEE them, Nintendo? They all thought you couldn't get two characters from us in a single pass! What kind of idiot thinks that?!

Sakurai: shrugs The fandom to my biggest game, I guess.
No offense but this REALLY sounds like bargaining. Nintendo isn't business savvy enough and/or don't care enough to play 4D chess like this. Plus, all the anniversary stuff was announced earlier this November, and given Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury is supposed to come out February, I doubt we're getting anymore games aside maybe stuff for NES and SNES online or possibly another eShop exclusive.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
We should do something nice for Mario Day again. I like working with the Starlight Children's Charity. Maybe we can steer conversation towards this instead of playing Sword in the Stone with changing my opinions?
I must say im not trying to play sword in the stone. Its just that its obvious that there are double standards going on but ill leave it at that.

I really liked the idea of Geno and star road tho. Fits really well granting others wishes. Has anything been going on with that recently?

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
We should do something nice for Mario Day again. I like working with the Starlight Children's Charity. Maybe we can steer conversation towards this instead of playing Sword in the Stone with changing my opinions?
This is what I'm making my video about.

We need to keep on doing things that matter while showing our love for SMRPG and Geno.

See, you can TOTALLY give up right now on his chances for Smash, but recognize that if too many of us do that, it really does hurt his chances.

We need to keep on trucking like our Golden Bros.

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
I don't think Fatman is trying to say just because other fan rules were broken, the Mii Costume rule must be broken for Geno as well. As speculators here, we like to pretend like we know what's going on behind closed doors on the development side of things. That includes making fan rules like "Mii costumes deconfirm characters because it would be redundant if they planned on making them playable." But in reality, we have no idea what Sakurai and Nintendo are thinking. With how many costumes that have returned from Smash 4 and with the rate we've been getting them, it seems extremely likely we'll have all Smash 4 costumes in this game by the end of next year, so it's possible the Geno costume would be returning whether or not he's actually planned to be playable.

Obviously, temper your expectations. I honestly don't think Geno's chances have been affected that much one way or another. But I also didn't think Geno had as high of a chance as being added as this board thought a couple of weeks ago.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I feel like holding out hope for a Geno announcement by March is bargaining as well. It doesn't really carry the same weight as the announcement of another Mario game's development or more ports of classic Mario games. Not to mention that Ninten's current stance on RPG games featuring their mascot have gone from RPG to "action games with some minimal thinking required" ala Paper Mario.

That being said, I'll bet that by March's end there will be no Geno reveal and no SMRPG remake/port/sequel, but I welcome being surprised.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
No offense but this REALLY sounds like bargaining. Nintendo isn't business savvy enough and/or don't care enough to play 4D chess like this. Plus, all the anniversary stuff was announced earlier this November, and given Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury is supposed to come out February, I doubt we're getting anymore games aside maybe stuff for NES and SNES online or possibly another eShop exclusive.
ALL the anniversary stuff?

I'm sorry, did you read the script to see that there was no more Mario stuff on the horizon?

They still have three months to announce whatever the hell they want regarding Mario.

They could get a new Mario Sports game, announce a brand new Mario game of another sort, maybe even more merch...hell, they could lose their minds and show off Waluigi for Smash!

Facts are things get pushed on down the line because of delays because the whole world shut down for a virus that really wasn't all that bad for the average person. Now here we are gaining steam again, and it's entirely possible there are a few more Mario announcements being held onto for the next couple months. For all intent and purpose, it's the perfect time for a couple final Mario announcements to take off with.

If the rumors of the SMRPG Remake/Sequel hold ANY weight, that would be the time for it to happen.

Also, y'all don't even know what bargaining is. Acting as if another fan rule can be broken because it can just like all the rest and acknowledging the Mother of Star Road Hail Mary's is way off from some sort of mental haggling with a company that I'll never speak with.

Basically, I understand many of you just want to give up, that the costume that was barely touched is the corpse of all we want and hope, but I'm not weak-willed enough to give up until Sakurai shuts the book on content for Ultimate.

I'm gonna keep going until Ultimate is over and done with, and no stupid $.75 bit of recycled content is gonna stop me.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
I appreciate the theory crafting and all but I really dont think any of this will happen. I dont think its impossible but it's highly unlikely. If it happens it'll be a pleasant surprise but I'm not expecting anything. Imo geno is done for smash ultimate and I'm still disappointed.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think there’s a difference between Mario’s 35th ending in March (which I think has no bearing on Geno considering SMRPG isn’t really the most significant game in a series famously focussing on the wahoo-jumpy man platformer part of the series), but SMRPG’s 25th anniversary is a milestone for a game whose anniversary did get a tweet mention from Nintendo before.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I must say im not trying to play sword in the stone. Its just that its obvious that there are double standards going on but ill leave it at that.

I really liked the idea of Geno and star road tho. Fits really well granting others wishes. Has anything been going on with that recently?
My opinions have changed on Mii costumes. Before Season 2 officially started, my stance was that Geno and Lloyd/Heihachi's Mii costumes would simply be nuked because they would be upgraded to playable. 11 months later, all but 3 of the 86 Smash 4 DLC costumes are in the game, with one being a pair. Honestly wasn't expecting Gil to come back either but here we are. My opinion has changed from "a handful of costumes simply won't come back" to "they probably planned on bringing back all the Mii costumes anyways."

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
ALL the anniversary stuff?

I'm sorry, did you read the script to see that there was no more Mario stuff on the horizon?

They still have three months to announce whatever the hell they want regarding Mario.

They could get a new Mario Sports game, announce a brand new Mario game of another sort, maybe even more merch...hell, they could lose their minds and show off Waluigi for Smash!

Facts are things get pushed on down the line because of delays because the whole world shut down for a virus that really wasn't all that bad for the average person. Now here we are gaining steam again, and it's entirely possible there are a few more Mario announcements being held onto for the next couple months. For all intent and purpose, it's the perfect time for a couple final Mario announcements to take off with.

If the rumors of the SMRPG Remake/Sequel hold ANY weight, that would be the time for it to happen.

Also, y'all don't even know what bargaining is. Acting as if another fan rule can be broken because it can just like all the rest and acknowledging the Mother of Star Road Hail Mary's is way off from some sort of mental haggling with a company that I'll never speak with.

Basically, I understand many of you just want to give up, that the costume that was barely touched is the corpse of all we want and hope, but I'm not weak-willed enough to give up until Sakurai shuts the book on content for Ultimate.

I'm gonna keep going until Ultimate is over and done with, and no stupid $.75 bit of recycled content is gonna stop me.
What, are they doing two Mario anniversary directs? March is five months away from November, and if any games are supposed to be released by March, the anniversary direct would have been the perfect time to announce them.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
My opinions have changed on Mii costumes. Before Season 2 officially started, my stance was that Geno and Lloyd/Heihachi's Mii costumes would simply be nuked because they would be upgraded to playable. 11 months later, all but 3 of the 86 Smash 4 DLC costumes are in the game, with one being a pair. Honestly wasn't expecting Gil to come back either but here we are. My opinion has changed from "a handful of costumes simply won't come back" to "they probably planned on bringing back all the Mii costumes anyways."
And what a lot of people don;t understand is, by this logic, it really doesn't effect Geno's chances.

Fun fact, it also doesn't affect the chances of Lloyd at this rate, which is a major positive.

Monster Hunter I'm not sure since they already got what they got in the base game, but assuming that anything can happen in later negotiations, I suppose they could still happen...although I feel Dante and Phoenix Wright have the lead.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So if Lloyd doesn't upgraded and his Mii Costume returns, who would you expect to be the next most likely Bamco rep? I'm leaning towards KOS-MOS myself. I'm fairly confident that Phoenix or Dante would be chosen over Monster Hunter if Capcom gets one

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I don't know, I was just hoping the thread would come to a consensus on this, but apparently I'm a quitter for taking the situation at face value for the time being, because nothing substantial actually points otherwise.
Think of it this way.

Some of you think it's over, and the attitude leads to giving up and going home, try again next game.

What does that attitude do for you in the long run?

Does it help Geno's chances to just give up and quit pushing for him? No.

In the event of more DLC, does going quiet now help his chances to be picked for the next wave? No.

Does waiting for the next Smash game help his chances for this one, or in all reality, help his chances for the next one if you just wait until the next Smash is announced to push for him even though ALL the characters will be chosen by then? No.

Does it hurt anyone to keep pushing for his chances? No.

Does it hurt to keep theorizing once we get more new information? No.

So, since what some of us like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and QQS QQS who have been doing this for way too long are doing hurts no one. However, if you keep pushing how you all feel onto us, it DOES hurt something: Geno's chances.

If we all just give up and go home, all those assholes on the internet who mocked the **** out of us aren't going to root for Geno. Everyone who rooted for us but really want another character aren't going to root for Geno. All Geno has is us, and if we give up, so do his chances.

By that logic, I'll never give up, and I went through a pretty dark moment for about a day or two a couple of hours after I saw his costume. Remember, I have a friend I talk to daily that hates the Smash community and was rooting for Toad to get in over Geno just ****ing because, and Smash basically rewarded him for acting that way but putting in another character from his favorite game while my favorite got a costume. Then the entire internet took a collective **** on our chests, and everyone is now giving up hope. I was there, very unhappy, but trying to be positive and I just couldn't.

It was because of all of you giving up and being super depressed that I realized that giving up not only isn't an option, but it's not in my character to give up on Geno, and that throwing in the towel after something like this would make me become what I fear for fellow Geno fans the most: giving up only to have it happen without your support.

With that, a few pep talks and some new information and insight, I'm here to keep rooting for my puppet boy until he gets in or I die, whichever comes first.

He's the only character I want, and I refuse to give up on him.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
I don't know, I was just hoping the thread would come to a consensus on this, but apparently I'm a quitter for taking the situation at face value for the time being, because nothing substantial actually points otherwise.
Your not a quitter. For the time being I'm in the camp that hes not coming but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Maaaaaaaan, like 95% of the thread has said GG regarding this and it's largely been handled maturely. The thread didn't get locked, barely any warnings have been dished out, only trolls have been banned, some people are upset but they're keeping it here, etc. The detractors didn't get the never-ending over-the-top lollapalooza they wanted and most have already moved on. Disaster averted: mission accomplished, especially in the light that I was temp banned three times last December because of raids and infighting. You more or less have a consensus of: "I'm not expecting things to change but I would love to be wrong." Ironically, this is probably the most conflict free the thread has been in mid December in two years meaning we've come a long, long way with conflict resolution.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Think of it this way.

Some of you think it's over, and the attitude leads to giving up and going home, try again next game.

What does that attitude do for you in the long run?

Does it help Geno's chances to just give up and quit pushing for him? No.

In the event of more DLC, does going quiet now help his chances to be picked for the next wave? No.

Does waiting for the next Smash game help his chances for this one, or in all reality, help his chances for the next one if you just wait until the next Smash is announced to push for him even though ALL the characters will be chosen by then? No.

Does it hurt anyone to keep pushing for his chances? No.

Does it hurt to keep theorizing once we get more new information? No.

So, since what some of us like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and QQS QQS who have been doing this for way too long are doing hurts no one. However, if you keep pushing how you all feel onto us, it DOES hurt something: Geno's chances.

If we all just give up and go home, all those assholes on the internet who mocked the **** out of us aren't going to root for Geno. Everyone who rooted for us but really want another character aren't going to root for Geno. All Geno has is us, and if we give up, so do his chances.

By that logic, I'll never give up, and I went through a pretty dark moment for about a day or two a couple of hours after I saw his costume. Remember, I have a friend I talk to daily that hates the Smash community and was rooting for Toad to get in over Geno just *ing because, and Smash basically rewarded him for acting that way but putting in another character from his favorite game while my favorite got a costume. Then the entire internet took a collective * on our chests, and everyone is now giving up hope. I was there, very unhappy, but trying to be positive and I just couldn't.

It was because of all of you giving up and being super depressed that I realized that giving up not only isn't an option, but it's not in my character to give up on Geno, and that throwing in the towel after something like this would make me become what I fear for fellow Geno fans the most: giving up only to have it happen without your support.

With that, a few pep talks and some new information and insight, I'm here to keep rooting for my puppet boy until he gets in or I die, whichever comes first.

He's the only character I want, and I refuse to give up on him.
Who said I was giving up on Geno or Super Mario RPG IN GENERAL?

Yeah, I think Smash Ultimate is a dead end at this point, I'll say it, but Smash was always just one option, a very lucrative, vindicating option (and personally the only one I actually think is super plausible), but still just one option. Honestly if Nintendo comes out in like a year with a Super Mario RPG remake/remaster/whatever, I'll be just as satisfied, if not MORE so. Hell I'm at the point where I'll take anything that resembles a traditional Mario RPG as a sign of god. I mean it's not like getting Simon or Banjo in Smash has really led to anything more happening with those franchises (though I will say if King K. Rool isn't in the next Donkey Kong game my skull will twist off my body.) I obviously still HOPE Geno is in Ultimate, I still want him, but acting like he's still likely and this is just Nintendo playing the super long game... well I guess that's fine, and I won't push it anymore.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Who said I was giving up on Geno or Super Mario RPG IN GENERAL?

Yeah, I think Smash Ultimate is a dead end at this point, I'll say it, but Smash was always just one option, a very lucrative, vindicating option (and personally the only one I actually think is super plausible), but still just one option. Honestly if Nintendo comes out in like a year with a Super Mario RPG remake/remaster/whatever, I'll be just as satisfied, if not MORE so. Hell I'm at the point where I'll take anything that resembles a traditional Mario RPG as a sign of god. I mean it's not like getting Simon or Banjo in Smash has really led to anything more happening with those franchises (though I will say if King K. Rool isn't in the next Donkey Kong game my skull will twist off my body.) I obviously still HOPE Geno is in Ultimate, I still want him, but acting like he's still likely and this is just Nintendo playing the super long game... well I guess that's fine, and I won't push it anymore.
Whereas I will not give up and keep pushing him until Ultimate is done because, honestly, who the hell wants their character to be a newcomer in Smash 6 where all the favorites are gone because they couldn't keep the contracts up and now everyone plays Ultimate because it's the best game in the series for content?

That's a huge mixed bag and I'm not even sure if I could count it as a win at that point. Like woo, Geno finally got in, but at the cost of a good chunk of the roster not returning and now all my friends rather play that game instead. That would be a major oof. that's also if we get more Smash games, and if Sakurai still leads the project. Something tells me that not having Sakurai in the lead worsens Geno's chances.

Regardless, we need to keep making sure we push the boi and SMRPG so that Nintendo gets the idea of what people want. Make sure similar games explode, like that game that got funded on Kickstarter. Keep sharing art and making your own content. Even if you've given up on Ultimate, don't give up on Geno and SMRPG.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
My only question is, how exactly do we become heard on a large scale? It can't be exclusively this site. I highly doubt Sakurai or his team are combing through this thread. I feel like it has to be elsewhere, like on typical social media sites.

If all of our efforts are going into this one thread, are we really making that much of a difference in the eyes of top devs? Does SmashBoards really matter in the grand scheme of things?

herpderp06

Smash Rookie
As someone who has given up hope for Geno in the second Fighters Pass, as including his Mii Costume to later include him as a fighter doesnt make much sense to me personally. The only way I could see him happening would be if they made another fighter ballot (which is very likely since they need to gauge interest for which fighters they want to use for smash 6) and that Geno somehow managed to win that ballot. Its very unlikely that Geno specifically would win this hypothetical ballot but in the end I think its his only shot. Whether or not you decide to believe that this is the end, don't let this split us apart. At the end of the day we all want Geno in smash, and we've gone through ordeals before, this is just another challenge we must surpass. Love y'all and Speculate safely guys!

My only question is, how exactly do we become heard on a large scale? It can't be exclusively this site. I highly doubt Sakurai or his team are combing through this thread. I feel like it has to be elsewhere, like on typical social media sites.

If all of our efforts are going into this one thread, are we really making that much of a difference in the eyes of top devs? Does SmashBoards really matter in the grand scheme of things?
The best way a company knows how to hear its consumers is money. Buy the costume. Tell your friends to buy the costume. Buy the geno costume for your baby cousin. It may sound stupid, but its true. We've seen in the past days specifically that nintendo will still act like a company so we must treat them as such... by buying the geno costume and telling others to buy it. Also telling nintendo on a bigger platform like twitter or something wouldnt hurt.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Uh, well... I, um... on the bright side we got some neat concept art for Geno! There's at least this:

I'm still sad though. I don't like this support thread getting derailed this way.
Here's a colored one. Not sure who drew or colored this one, but I'll link the source of where I found it from above the picture. I definitely prefer Geno's final design, but I do actually love his old concept design; it feels a lot like something a SquareSoft designer would draw since they make some of the coolest-looking characters.

https://twitter.com/staidanom/status/1340725406719238147?s=20

Theguy123

Smash Lord

Petitions would help. Even if they don’t get mega amounts of signatures we can at least spread awareness and hope Nintendo or square see them. We can get big YouTubers like papagenos to spread awareness about the petition. The more people who spread awareness, the more likely we’ll get signatures and Nintendo will see.

Firox

Smash Master
I disagree with that statement so much it okay if you dont like the dlc or smash ultimate your allowed to think that but to say that people didnt want most of the dlc/pander to me people who dont play smash is stupid.Hero was a super requested pick and people wanted him since forever sephiroth was highly requested too since cloud the only one i can really call a shill pick is byleth.and most of what your saying about the dlc appealing to people who dont play smash isnt true do you really think terry/min min fans even though wanted are gonna come out in droves to buy a switch?tldr its okay to not like or hate the dlc picks but to say its pandering to people who dont play smash and ****ting on the "devoted smash fanbase just because you dont like them is stupid
You clearly failed to understand what I was saying. I never said that nobody wanted DLC like Terry, Joker, or Sephiroth. Statistically, somebody wants virtually any character you can imagine. My point was that the DLC characters chosen were meant to appeal to the people that DO like said characters that aren't already involved in Smash bros. Your emotional ranting about a false assumption doesn't change that fact, nor refute it. Having a widespread public campaign or being voted in Nintendo character polls is an entirely different story from the characters that were added because Nintendo felt they could reach other fanbases. Was I totally stoked to see Cloud get into Sm4sh? Hell yes. I'm still stoked to this day that he and Seph actually made it. But did I specifically ask for him? Nope. Honestly didn't think he was possible. Many other people felt the same, hence why he didn't appear within the top 20 or even 30 of any respectable poll I had ever seen. Again, doesn't mean I wouldn't take him, but my point was that there is a difference between characters with known, prevalent fanbases WITHIN Smash culture and ones that Sakurai/Nintendo gives us out of left field.

PS. Try using some punctuation next time. It would make it much easier for me to understand what you're trying to say.

You say that, yet I, a die hard smash fan since the 64 version, thought every last character has been a slam dunk. I've never been more happy with the content in a game. I did not grow up with playstation or xbox, in fact I only got my first non Nintendo system 3 years ago. The simple fact is that not all smash fans have such narrow interests. The characters so far have been from VERY different games, and there's something in it for most everyone. To be perfectly honest, most character fanbases I'm a part of have loved the dlc. Besides, Banjo, Hero, Steve, and Min Min (or at least an arms rep of some kind) were all big requests.
If you honestly think every newcomer and DLC character has been a slam dunk, then I guess you're just easy to please. If that's the case, consider yourself fortunate. I'm generally OK with most of them, and any of them can work as fighters, but as I said above, there's a difference between characters that have been campaigned and voted for and those that Sakurai/Nintendo pull out of their butt. That's not to say that the DLC they pick isn't good, per se, or popular in general, but when you've been begging for Product A for 20 years and the powers that be give you Product B instead because it appeals to a new demographic, you have to at least acknowledge how that makes someone feel. Is it a reasonable business practice? Sure. I really can't argue the methodology. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Here's a colored one. Not sure who drew or colored this one, but I'll link the source of where I found it from above the picture. I definitely prefer Geno's final design, but I do actually love his old concept design; it feels a lot like something a SquareSoft designer would draw since they make some of the coolest-looking characters.

https://twitter.com/staidanom/status/1340725406719238147?s=20

An anime swordsman?

Geno would’ve definitely got in if he looked like this:4pacman:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something I want to remind the thread real quick is that coincidentally the 25th Anniversary of SMRPG is March 9th and Mario Day is March 10th so it's definitely a golden opportunity to plan something good to celebrate both. We don't have to go pen and paper right this second but in my opinion, if we want to get something good set up by these days, we should start seriously discussing it by mid January. Benefit of this too is that people can enjoy Christmas and New Years and return some much needed levity to the thread for a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom