• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffBi

Smash Ace
...not gonna lie, yesterday kind of sucked ngl, but that's how life goes.
we should never give up hope on geno to get in smash, not ultimate, not 6.
we should strive for the smrpg remake, and mario rpgs in general.
we should not let them die in dust.
anyways, nintendo/square, you disappoint me, not even gonna give him a full head?
****ing string us along since hero only to give this samey costume for smash 4?
for shame docs, for shame
1608287187825.png

so like, there was this leak going around in the star road server, and even though it could easily be just lucky guesses and/or fake, i still want rayman and doomguy so i'd still be happy. That said, if this leak turns out to be real and cacomallow(i know that maybe it's not real since geno's probably ded, BUT), what if cacodemon comes with doomguy and it's the exact same mask, and maybe geno is in FP3 or smth, because they couldn't put the geno mii with geno because at that point you'd have the real deal, so they put him with sephiroth and mallow comes with geno pack. I just feel like there is a lot of things that don't fit with geno, namely the MCG stuff and all that jazz.
of course, i'm not betting on this being a FACT, but just thought it'd be fun to throw it here.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
...not gonna lie, yesterday kind of sucked ngl, but that's how life goes.
we should never give up hope on geno to get in smash, not ultimate, not 6.
we should strive for the smrpg remake, and mario rpgs in general.
we should not let them die in dust.
anyways, nintendo/square, you disappoint me, not even gonna give him a full head?
****ing string us along since hero only to give this samey costume for smash 4?
for shame docs, for shame
View attachment 296174
so like, there was this leak going around in the star road server, and even though it could easily be just lucky guesses and/or fake, i still want rayman and doomguy so i'd still be happy. That said, if this leak turns out to be real and cacomallow(i know that maybe it's not real since geno's probably ded, BUT), what if cacodemon comes with doomguy and it's the exact same mask, and maybe geno is in FP3 or smth, because they couldn't put the geno mii with geno because at that point you'd have the real deal, so they put him with sephiroth and mallow comes with geno pack. I just feel like there is a lot of things that don't fit with geno, namely the MCG stuff and all that jazz.
of course, i'm not betting on this being a FACT, but just thought it'd be fun to throw it here.
Just checked, it's not even a real post, just an edit. You got memed.
EDIT: Wait, I'm wrong, I am the meme. Still, this feels like a case of monkey's on typewriters than anything else, haven't we established a bunch of times that anything with way too much information, such as knowing the ENTIRE Fighter's Pass, is 99% fake?

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I think the Geno fandom should pivot their advocacy for him somewhat. Clearly if Square wasn't part of the picture then things would be a lot more favorable for his inclusion in Smash games. The idea of #freegeno should revolve around convincing Square to sell the rights to the original Super Mario RPG cast because without that Geno, like the rest of the original cast, can't even be apart of their own universe. That holding his rights under these circumstances is a huge disservice to the characters and portrays Square as indifferent towards a passionate and loyal video game fandom for a character that they're borderline incapable of using that they, as their creators and as fans/professionals in the gaming community, should want the best for.

At the end of the day they're a huge company and they don't have to be phased by any appeals to their better nature or pressures to do something they don't think is in their immediate best interest as a business but I think that's the best direction to go moving forward because clearly just advocating for him to be in Smash on its own and by his own merits isn't convincing enough.

Just my two cents as somebody that's not a Geno fan that still understands the niche factor is a part of his appeal and that quite honestly I think him, Mallow, Boshi and the like would make wonderful additions to the Mario cast beyond just Smash.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Thing is, even if Nintendo had the rights to Geno, I doubt they’d use him in anything.
This. Nintendo doesn't use a lot of their backlog. It wouldn't really be all that useful in the long run. Besides that, they have a unique team that controls what various characters can be used in specific Mario games. That'd hinder Geno a lot to begin with.

Never mind there's actually a lot of FF-based stuff in SMRPG, that you need to sell every tiny bit of SMRPG in itself. And seeing as how Square-Enix has specific bits and pieces of their works actually owned by different people. Music, character designs, etc. It's likely they couldn't feasibly sell it off.

Besides that, being all-or-nothing is the only way Nintendo would bother, so they can release the game any time they want without extra royalties. They likely wouldn't remake/update/make a sequel either. They literally let Mario & Luigi die. Why would SMRPG do better? Paper Mario is the only one fully alive, and it's used to test out all kinds of new RPG-related mechanics, instead of basically keeping the same formula. It's still an rpg, etc., but it's definitely not meant to adhere to the earlier game styles, but be its own thing. It's also worth mentioning that Nintendo loves to experiment with anything in Super Mario, which is why tons of games have sequels with unique gameplay changes. Super Mario 64 is the only one of the regular mainline 3D games on the non-handheld consoles that didn't have a special control gimmick. It was just a very basic 3D iteration at that point, and they couldn't even include the Fire Flower.

I actually would fear how they could overly change up SMRPG so it doesn't resemble itself. Paper Mario partially suffers from this(though really, it's only Super that is nothing like the other games. The rest are all turn-based games with action commands, which was a very important part of the gameplay too. Traditional level ups and stats are notable, but the core gameplay is there 6 out of 5 games). You also have to take that team into account. The NPC's and monster list could suffer a lot. It's probably best to let SE made a proper sequel so it actually feels like the same game in the franchise.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just remember, if somebody is trolling, don't reply. Just report and led the mods handle it. It makes it easier on them and the trolls don't get what they want.

If Nintendo owned the SMRPG characters and didn't make Geno and Mallow a team in Double Dash that would've been an unforgivable oversight.
What would their special item be? I think all the normal items were taken. And even then, the Lightning Bolt feels like it doesn't fit both that well, just Mallow. The size effect actually feels more like a Bowser thing(SMRPG only), but I can't remember every "spell".

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Well yeah maybe they wouldn't but it's still a maybe and that maybe has a lot more potential reward for the character(s) whereas with Square it looks like this is the extent of things.

I think Geno, Mallow and possibly even Boshi shouldn't be that hard of a pitch to the QA team in the hypothetical scenario where Nintendo actually bothered to buy the rights.

Of course if Nintendo didn't even want to buy the rights in the first place then that's it anyway regardless of ownership. If that's the case I think they and Square are on the same page. Even worse if what you're saying is true both parties might not even want to bother if the rights are convoluted.

As far as music is concerned though I thought Nintendo at least owned the music? I thought Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and Fight Against an Armed Boss were taken down on somebody's channel specifically by Nintendo? So just some tracks then? Wouldn't surprise me considering what was confirmed today regarding Square's music publishing practices in the Sakurai presents.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well yeah maybe they wouldn't but it's still a maybe and that maybe has a lot more potential reward for the character(s) whereas with Square it looks like this is the extent of things.

I think Geno, Mallow and possibly even Boshi shouldn't be that hard of a pitch to the QA team in the hypothetical scenario where Nintendo actually bothered to buy the rights.

Of course if Nintendo didn't even want to buy the rights in the first place then that's it anyway regardless of ownership. If that's the case I think they and Square are on the same page. Even worse if what you're saying is true both parties might not even want to bother if the rights are convoluted.

As far as music is concerned though I thought Nintendo at least owned the music? I thought Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and Fight Against an Armed Boss were taken down on somebody's channel specifically by Nintendo? So just some tracks then? Wouldn't surprise me considering what was confirmed today regarding Square's music publishing practices in the Sakurai presents.
Not all of the music is literally remixed Mario stuff. Some of it is actually Final Fantasy music.

The rights appear to be shared between the companies. And as the music isn't just something SE owns, but certain people, that's significantly more difficult to hand over the rights to.

It's just not a feasible idea when there's too many IP holders. It's probably easier to overall have them work together and just make a sequel. Plus, the original sequel still led to the first Paper Mario. Sure, that's cause Nintendo and SE broke up due to various circumstances, but now they're back together. so. That's not an issue.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm just tired of being the Boogieman of Smash Speculation. As you all saw from throughout these last two years, the Geno and SMRPG stuff wasn't just coming from me and was being repeated by some of the biggest speculators in the community. I wasn't the only person saying these things and this has been a huge talking point for most of this year. There's still a lot of unanswered questions and the avalanche of "dude, give up"s in less than a day is honestly kind of insulting. A lot of people in my network are confused and I want to make sure that I don't make the same mistakes I made with Steve.

"Oh, Steve is dead because we got Banjo and these Microsoft employees said he was leakbait so obviously Vergeben and Xenother lied about everything."

Doing this for as long I have, the number of people that are unironically indignant that I'm not folding, even after I spent the whole week telling the thread to act appropriately even in the worst case scenario and consoling people is baffling. No, I don't think it's pragmatic that I torch everything and I laid out my terms of surrender earlier this week: deluxe costume with music, and I think people should respect that. Because of this outcome, there's now even more questions that I haven't begun to look into yet because I've had to fend off "Fatman Bad" all day AND console the thread AND answer PMs here AND respond to posts I'm tagged in AND respond to Discord messages AND cross reference stuff about today's outcome with my network so it's like... Damn. From my viewpoint, "things aren't what they seem" is a pretty reasonable outcome and the people badgering me to fold literally have no clue how confusing things currently look from my vantage point.

Vergeben was pretty much thrown in a coffin and buried when Banjo was revealed only to be vindicated with his Minecraft stuff that checked out with his network more than a year later. Yes, I'm going to look into it and, no, I didn't need the threats and demands today to do it. I just want some grace as I sort things out and, once again, if this is genuinely a problem, put me on ignore. It took 8 YEARS for my Brawl theorycraft and research about Geno to be confirmed by Sakurai himself so I'm no stranger to playing the long game in getting answers to stuff. Honestly, guys, after having hands on my throat all day, is it really a small wonder that all I'm asking for right now is time to breathe? Damn... Let a man think.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

All in the name of "quality assurance", baby
As someone having had one of the most finest memories via playing Paper Mario 64, allowing me to witness Mario-franchise reinterpreted with more worldbuilding and story to tell than I was used to the series...

Haaving to still remember this being a thing, sting to this day HARD. :218:

I feel my own investment on Mario-franchise slowly dwindled away as it'd become more mandated up as a "brand", and didn't allow anymore different interpretations for both fans and devs alike...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm just tired of being the Boogieman of Smash Speculation. As you all saw from throughout these last two years, the Geno and SMRPG stuff wasn't just coming from me and was being repeated by some of the biggest speculators in the community. I wasn't the only person saying these things and this has been a huge talking point for most of this year. There's still a lot of unanswered questions and the avalanche of "dude, give up"s in less than a day is honestly kind of insulting. A lot of people in my network are confused and I want to make sure that I don't make the same mistakes I made with Steve.

"Oh, Steve is dead because we got Banjo and these Microsoft employees said he was leakbait so obviously Vergeben and Xenother lied about everything."

Doing this for as long I have, the number of people that are unironically indignant that I'm not folding, even after I spent the whole week telling the thread to act appropriately even in the worst case scenario and consoling people is baffling. No, I don't think it's pragmatic that I torch everything and I laid out my terms of surrender earlier this week: deluxe costume with music, and I think people should respect that. Because of this outcome, there's now even more questions that I haven't begun to look into yet because I've had to fend off "Fatman Bad" all day AND console the thread AND answer PMs here AND respond to posts I'm tagged in AND respond to Discord messages AND cross reference stuff about today's outcome with my network so it's like... Damn. From my viewpoint, "things aren't what they seem" is a pretty reasonable outcome and the people badgering me to fold literally have no clue how confusing things currently look from my vantage point.

Vergeben was pretty much thrown in a coffin and buried when Banjo was revealed only to be vindicated with his Minecraft stuff that checked out with his network more than a year later. Yes, I'm going to look into it and, no, I didn't need the threats and demands today to do it. I just want some grace as I sort things out and, once again, if this is genuinely a problem, put me on ignore. It took 8 YEARS for my Brawl theorycraft and research about Geno to be confirmed by Sakurai himself so I'm no stranger to playing the long game in getting answers to stuff. Honestly, guys, after having hands on my throat all day, is it really a small wonder that all I'm asking for right now is time to breathe? Damn... Let a man think.
You've done a lot of good work, Fatman. If you need a break, take it. As someone who's waited since 2007 for Geno to return, I understand the feeling completely

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Look at the bright side,
You guys got a spirit and a costume so he’s acknowledged to SOME capacity at least
cries in Porky
I wouldn't be surprised of the Absolute Safety Capsule is the Porky representation. They used a fan sprite for Masked Man, so might've mistook it and the full capsule as the same thing. They're subtle differences, and you have to do extra research to know the difference. Of course, if it's pointed out and they ignore it, then it could be something like a planned Spirit Event or whatever. I'm kind of doubting it by this point, but then again, still no Luigi's Mansion 3 Spirit Event, so. Things get missed. :/

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You've done a lot of good work, Fatman. If you need a break, take it. As someone who's waited since 2007 for Geno to return, I understand the feeling completely
I don't do breaks because I know as soon as I do, the comments will come flooding in to harass you all.

"Oh look, your God Emperor has abandoned you!"

"I guess Fatman has moved on to his next big con!"

"Haha, I bet the dude killed himself over a video game character. I hope it's true!"

You guys don't need that. I don't need that. Worse comes to worse I'm staying until the end of DLC in a year so we're all just kind of stuck with each other.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
While I personally think this is it, I encourage everyone to live their wildest dreams when it comes to untangling which character will appear in big video game crossover. I don’t have the required years to truly play the card but man even I feel I’m here too long to play by the rules. Sticking to your gunners is one of the more rewarding things to do and for a character like Geno, sounds like a fun thing to do. Thank you, Geno fanbase, for being the good type of wildcard in this community and in this year. I’m sure our star roads will cross again.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Ah I see then. Then my perfect (and of course with that framework very unlikely) scenario would simply be for Square to package together the characters Nintendo (hypothetically) considers worth their money along with the greatest hits of the soundtrack. Don't need everything; just the crucial portions. I'm sure if Nintendo wanted this IP then their idea of a fair price is significantly more than what those tracks and characters are making for Square and the other relevant rights holders just sitting there doing nothing.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't do breaks because I know as soon as I do, the comments will come flooding in to harass you all.

"Oh look, your God Emperor has abandoned you!"

"I guess Fatman has moved on to his next big con!"

"Haha, I bet the dude killed himself over a video game character. I hope it's true!"

You guys don't need that. I don't need that. Worse comes to worse I'm staying until the end of DLC in a year so we're all just kind of stuck with each other.
You do raise a valid point.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ah I see then. Then my perfect (and of course with that framework very unlikely) scenario would simply be for Square to package together the characters Nintendo (hypothetically) considers worth their money along with the greatest hits of the soundtrack. Don't need everything; just the crucial portions. I'm sure if Nintendo wanted this IP then their idea of a fair price is significantly more than what those tracks and characters are making for Square and the other relevant rights holders just sitting there doing nothing.
They need all of it to re-release it. Which is in their best interest.

Only having a sequel available would be awkward. They have to pay royalties just to put the original on the Switch etc. but other uses are fine.

If you think about it, why would Square-Enix even go for that? They want royalties for their workers who made that. Selling it could lose them money. Nintendo is unlikely to have interest in reusing Geno much at all(though to be fair, paying for him for a tiny cameo in the remake of Superstar Saga is understandable). Overall, using him in Mario Kart etc. wouldn't even be a real issue with SE, since it's guaranteed royalties/sales. That's why they had no issues giving a costume for Geno too. Or his cameo in Superstar Saga in the first place. They actually aren't that stingy, but it's overall important that they feel they're getting the best possible deal in the end. If Geno is rarely going to be used, it doesn't exactly help either, since they don't see it as worth it. Then there's tons of other characters.

Basically, what does SE also get out of this? It's a collaboration project, not basically them taking a specific franchise and doing a straight sequel. It's not like Hyrule Warriors or the Oracle Zelda games. They're similar, and rights do relate in some cases to the creators of it(depends the companies and agreements), but SMRPG, unlike those examples, actually codified all Mario RPG's to come. It's best to put it as this; it's a damn important piece of history and what company wouldn't latch onto that?

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Honestly? I'd do that for Katalina again in a heartbeat. Some things never change. Hope you're well Jovah
I'm fine, I'm fine.

I actually recently came back out of the sheer joy that my Number 2 most-wanted pick, Sephiroth, after Number 1: Phoenix Wright, actually got into Smash!

I've been getting it pretty good with a lot of my requests getting into Smash, from Sonic to Cloud, to Ridley, to Simon Belmont, to Joker, to Min Min and now the man himself Sephiroth!

It was quite an uphill battle, let me tell you that, especially with Sephiroth on people insisting it wouldn't be him due to Sora and Geno seeming more likely.

So, I absolutely do get what it feels like for Geno as it is right now. And as a supporter of Sephiroth, Phoenix Wright, and Eggman altogether (and among many other characters I support: Geno as well), I do offer my condolences all the same.

So, how have you been doing Luigi The President Luigi The President ?

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I had some time to unpack my feelings on this thing, and ultimately (heh) what it boils down to is: yes, there is always next time, we can always push for smash 6, 7, 8, even 9 if we have half a mind to, but Ultimate feels like a different beast entirely. This is the single biggest videogame crossover in existence. There has never, and likely will never be another smash game like ultimate, where everyone was brought back and characters we never dreamed possible were made manifest right before our very eyes. To be only a footnote of a massive inclusion in this crossover admittedly stings somewhat. And there are those that would presume to tell me and many others how we're meant to feel, to act as though the merest fleck of disappointment is an affront to them, and castigate us accordingly (though I would be remiss not to mention the people who have been quite civil during this whole affair, offering words of encouragement and sympathy. You're the real ones!) If there was ever a smash game to get Geno in, I would have preferred what is shaping up to be the definitive one.

That said...
There are many bright possibilities for the future, and who knows what surprises the next smash game might have in store, once sakurai is unbound by the burden of bringing back every character, I imagine we'll have plenty of room for new and wild inclusions. Who knows, maybe the next game will have cutscenes and a proper successor to subspace emissary! Something a lot of us have been asking after for a good while! Wouldn't it be dope as hell to have geno potentially take part in such a thing? I think it would be smart of us to keep pushing for Geno in other mario stuff. Having a loud enough voice is never a guarantee, but you should never underestimate our rock hard, massive, throbbing... tenacity.

The present might seem bleak, but there's always hope for a brighter future, I encourage all of you to hold fast to your desire, it's because of all of you that this character keeps popping up in some form and hasn't faded into the pages of history. Take pride in that. As for me? I'm still standing

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I've been thinking, since the Geno costume is back, what does this mean for the rumored Mallow and Smithy Mii costumes on Mii Costume Guy's list?

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Mario Quality Control team makes a **** ton of sense when you consider that Miyamoto was ****ing shocked that Rosalina became a big deal and fan favorite and rushed to Mario Kart and other things.

It's almost like that's what ****ing happens when you let a character have a detailed backstory beyond a few base character traits like most Mario characters have. Because I hate to say it while Mario is the king of gaming/platforming?

The dude in mainline games in the least and even most spin-offs is boiled down to ''He's brave. Like really brave. I assure you he is a brave mustachioed man" and yeah he's lovable but when you compare him to the other characters in the platforming field that have become loved you see how they're much richer in their personalities, stories, etc.

Last edited:

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice

Take all the time in the world man. Hope things prove fruitful, and sorry to hear that you've been dealing with a lot. Hope the tagging in posts wasn't too bad (if I was part of that, sorry.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So I've been thinking, since the Geno costume is back, what does this mean for the rumored Mallow and Smithy Mii costumes on Mii Costume Guy's list?
Unless somehow Geno is actually a full pack, they're dead.

IMO, they're dead.

Keep in mind leakers do get thrown fake information. Whether it's cause their source had leakbait or made it up. And sometimes it can be both.

They'd be cool, though~

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One thing that honestly kills me and something I feel like I rant about at least twice a year is that people forget that I wasn't big on Geno for Smash 4 because the EVIDENCE wasn't there. People get mad at me for not talking about certain characters like Rex or Doomguy but the only reason I don't is because the evidence isn't there. The stuff for Geno and SMRPG is still abundant and now comes the task of actually hammering out the kinks to get a better picture of things. A question I've been asked all day "why is Geno any different from the Resident Evil spirits or the Heihachi Mii" and the answer is simply that the evidence never stacked up. The only thing Resident Evil had is the RUMOR that Jill was considered at one point and Heihachi had Sakurai's comments from Smash 4 about trying to get him to work and MAYBE giving him the benefit of the doubt of being a Ridley situation in Ultimate. I wrote a damn essay about what Geno had going for him at the beginning of the year and even more came out this year including some of the biggest names in Smash speculation being on the Geno Train. Once again, this is not something that's going to be figured out in a day or a week or maybe even a month. Like anything else, it's going to take time and patience would be appreciated.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It means it was a total fraud and some of you are just too gullible for your own good.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it really is the truth.
Maybe. But the Mii Costume Guy leaked that list in July of 2019 before Goemon and Team Rocket Grant were announced in Banjo's pack. He predicted Goemon and Team Rocket Grant which were way out of left field. Plus Zero, Proto Man, Exe Mega Man, and Chocobo were on that list as well which they all returned. Everything on that list got aside from the Mallow and Smithy costumes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Maybe. But the Mii Costume Guy leaked that list in July of 2019 before Goemon and Team Rocket Grant were announced in Banjo's pack. He predicted Goemon and Team Rocket Grant which were way out of left field. Plus Zero, Proto Man, Exe Mega Man, and Chocobo were on that list as well which they all returned. Everything on that list got aside from the Mallow and Smithy costumes.
This is why I think it was just some bad/false information. Rocket Grunt is just way too left field. Goemon a bit less so, since it's a decently well known Konami franchise(especially for Yugioh Players, since they're aware of the many Konami remakes of their various IP's).

The returning costumes aren't the hardest ever to guess, though. Regardless, it'd be one or two good guesses otherwise. Another possibility is the guy was fed information based upon the belief Geno was playable, and the three Square costumes mentioned were due to that. If the Square Seven is leakbait, the consensus, that would fit too.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Ummm... look, it would be fantastic if mii costume guy was still a reliable source... but it should be painfully obvious that we were bamboozled

edit: good chance the other stuff was legit but the mallow and smithy stuff was false info or it was put there deliberately.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
At this point I unironically think miyamoto or the QA team might be to blame for Geno getting invite-blocked for smash moreso than SE. It would line up with what we’ve heard/seen in the Mario rpg game series with the more interesting and unique characters becoming generic Mario enemies and why Geno and Mallow have been MIA despite noticeable fan demand. Everyone assumes SE are the bad guys but recently Nintendo has been revealed to have done and been responsible for some pretty dumb stuff in the recent past. If the QA team could keep Waluigi from appearing outside party games they could definitely prevent a deal being made for Geno being fully realized in Smash.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah, I honestly don't think Square-Enix would care that much if Nintendo really wanted to make him playable. They had no problem licensing him out as both a spirit and a Mii Fighter costume (in two different games).

It's just that...Nintendo doesn't want to make him playable.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ummm... look, it would be fantastic if mii costume guy was still a reliable source... but it should be painfully obvious that we were bamboozled
Well, I'm not giving up until the DLC cycle ends. This game has been known to break many fan rules and just because the Geno Mii costume came back that doesn't mean if there's a Fighter's Pass 3 Geno couldn't happen.

MattX20

Smash Hero
One thing that honestly kills me and something I feel like I rant about at least twice a year is that people forget that I wasn't big on Geno for Smash 4 because the EVIDENCE wasn't there. People get mad at me for not talking about certain characters like Rex or Doomguy but the only reason I don't is because the evidence isn't there. The stuff for Geno and SMRPG is still abundant and now comes the task of actually hammering out the kinks to get a better picture of things. A question I've been asked all day "why is Geno any different from the Resident Evil spirits or the Heihachi Mii" and the answer is simply that the evidence never stacked up. The only thing Resident Evil had is the RUMOR that Jill was considered at one point and Heihachi had Sakurai's comments from Smash 4 about trying to get him to work and MAYBE giving him the benefit of the doubt of being a Ridley situation in Ultimate. I wrote a damn essay about what Geno had going for him at the beginning of the year and even more came out this year including some of the biggest names in Smash speculation being on the Geno Train. Once again, this is not something that's going to be figured out in a day or a week or maybe even a month. Like anything else, it's going to take time and patience would be appreciated.
I can be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom