• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
Y'all, I hate to say it. I really do but Geno is done. I've said before but in no way does Geno have a chance for Smash Ultimate. the whole "Geno will get a Mii Costume AND be upgraded to a playable character" doesn't make any logistical sense.

I get the foundation that Nintendo/Square are businesses at the end of the day and they want money but this would be more than that, it would be stringing your audience along and misleading them maliciously. Companies while having a lot of issues don't usually take it out on the consumer so blatantly, this would be that. Taking an awful business practice against the consumer. It just doesn't make sense.

This hasn't happened for any other costume either we can track the history of Mii Costumes dating all the way back to Smash 4 in many different angles even:

From a perspective of upgrading characters based on legacy Lloyd, Heihachi or Tails could've been upgraded in Smash 4. Goemon, Altair or even yet again Tails/Knuckles could've been upgraded in Ultimate.

From a marketing standpoint they could've upgraded Inkling to playable in Smash 4, they didn't. They could've upgraded Travis for the NMH ports yet they didn't.

From a fan perspective they could've upgraded King K. Rool in Smash 4 to be playable, They didn't. All of these also have one thing in common; they aren't Premium Costumes nor even special on their own right they were just dropped and yet they weren't upgraded. Geno was just dropped and not given any special treatment which hurts but he'll likely follow the same path of getting nothing else.

Plus, It's a stretch to say he'll be upgraded based on his character and if that did happen it would've been within the same presentation as Sephiroth which is what I thought the "One More Thing" could've been but it wasn't. We need to shape up, Realize he won't happen in Ultimate and get to work for Smash 6. THAT is what our attention should be towards as it'd prove a lot more effective in the long run.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
99.9% of posts in here have been perfectly acceptable. Don't let that get lost in what a bunch of insecure weirdo users are coming in here to post/**** stir.

I want every regular in here to know your opinions and feelings are valid and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Anger, sadness, relief, optimism, hope. They're all valid and anyone who comes in here specifically to **** on that is no friend to this thread. I feel all of these things simultaneously right now, and it's all good. At the end of the day we just want a puppet in a video game. I'm just vibing

Last edited:

The DoE

Smash Rookie
This day has been filled with mixed feelings before and after the tragedy, but... I'm actually considering a Geno bonus character scenario. Now that I think about it, Geno's Mii Costume would've returned anyway if Geno was planned a bonus character, it never had sense that it didn't. If not, then other characters' Mii Costumes would've been scrapped since their respective characters were playable.

Maybe Sakurai didn't wanted to talk about him because he was planning something for later? I won't rely on this scenario because bonus characters don't have any guarantee of happening. But hey, at least it's a possible scenario.

QQS

Smash Lord

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
I never put out my thoughts until now but it just sucks honestly, it’s been a rollercoaster of emotions to be a fan of this character and wanting him playable

We go from
-The Ultimate version of smash where everyone returns
-Ridley Is playable
-K Rool Is playable
-Hope returns as it seems like Nintendo and sakurai are picking fan favorites
-Geno is shown as a spirit in base game which we had a whole debate on deconfirmation
-Fighter pass 1 DLC is announced
-Hero is the SE rep of the pass
-Banjo also adds on to the list of heavily requested fan characters
-Geno’s Mii costume doesn’t return which brings back hope
-Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms and Battle Against an Armed Boss song take downs on YouTube go along with the “2 songs per SE character” pattern
-Fighter Pass 2 is announced with Terry
-Another Square rep is inevitable as they’re still adding spirts of other Square titles
-Min Min destroys spirits fan rule boosting hope at all time high
-Sephiroth is the SE rep
-Geno is a Mii costume (the same one from 2015)

I was accepting of the possibility of Geno being a Mii costume again but with Sans and Cuphead given the special treatment I thought we would too along with a music track but even he couldn’t get that luxury

We did what we could as a community, we rallied our support and love for this character and game but I’m accepting this is the end, I love the passion and love you guys have for this 20+ year old classic, here’s to hoping he at least returns in some major way whether it be a remake or sequel if they’re up for it

Last edited:

NukeLaBelle

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nukenai
This has been a good place for me to come to for the past while-- I'd just been a lurker for the longest time but finally decided to make an account to be able to talk to you guys. Geno is super important to me but I've become less and less vocal about him online because of how I've been treated. So it's nice to have a place to come to, to talk about him. Even if we didn't fully win this time, it's still a place to celebrate how much we love him. So I'll be sticking around. :)

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Rather than outright locking the thread if a few users out of 80+ are causing trouble, the proper response from the moderators would be to simply suspend those users in particular. For any moderators reading this, please take this into consideration - it doesn't help the topic to go off the rails with arguments, but it also doesn't help the topic for there to be no discussion at all. If you can see that this - or any other thread - has a problem, then it shouldn't be too difficult to simply target the source of the problem.

Ideally, there wouldn't be any problems that needed moderators to get involved, but unfortunately that's not the case, which is why we have moderators in the first place. We should be able to trust those who hold power to use it in the manner that it should be used, even if it takes a bit longer to find the problem, rather than punishing everyone in a sweeping motion simply because it's easier.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
This day has been filled with mixed feelings before and after the tragedy, but... I'm actually considering a Geno bonus character scenario. Now that I think about it, Geno's Mii Costume would've returned anyway if Geno was planned a bonus character, it never had sense that it didn't. If not, then other characters' Mii Costumes would've been scrapped since their respective characters were playable.

Maybe Sakurai didn't wanted to talk about him because he was planning something for later? I won't rely on this scenario because bonus characters don't have any guarantee of happening. But hey, at least it's a possible scenario.
That... actually makes sense. The mii costume would have came back if Geno is planned to be a bonus character. We’ve already got a good amount of Mario stages already, so he could just come with Beware the Forest Mushrooms and Fight Against an Armed Boss. I just don’t know how to feel about bonus characters outside of the Fighter’s Passes right now.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
The amount of Fan Art in all forms of art Geno has after 25 years of his own only unique game, it’s already a BIG WIN, maybe even bigger than other famous characters.

We keep the flame alive “for a side obscure character” top 5 since Brawl and with thousand of Art out there, even recognized by Sakurai.

We already won.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

If Fighters Pass 3 or any other separate character DLC happens, for the love of god, I hope Sakurai is back in charge of picking the characters, because it's pretty clear at this point that Nintendo isn't gonna put Geno in...

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
well sorry if i started a fight i guess... was just interested in fatman’s thoughts. Guess ill just ask him tomorrow

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
It really makes you think about the Cacomallow leak and the Mii Costume list/music takedowns.

Today was a bit upsetting, but at the end of the day, he got represented in some form. And if you really step back and look at things, or at least from my perspective, I made new friends, learned more about the community, and he was still acknowledged by Nintendo in some form, which is a win for me. And I had fun doing it. The speculation cycle was full of ups and downs, but overall I had a good time talking to people about it and getting my friends perspectives on anything.

Today shouldn't be full of sadness, but reflection. We met new people, grew the community, still have him in the game in some form, and had fun speculating. We can hope for next game, all we have to do is stay positive and have patience. And I know it can be hard, i've struggled with this same problem myself. Especially the fans that have waited for over a decade for him. But don't give into the hate, and look forward to a light at the end of the tunnel.

And as for those coming in here to hate on everyone, what's the point. This community was one of the most positive throughout smash speculation and rubbing in that your character got in versus ours, or that ours is disconfirmed, is a toxic and bad mindset. It's the same people that call the Geno threads toxic, that make toxic comments on the same thread and beat down on a character/community that honestly doesn't deserve it. We want a character just like you do, and wish no harm or ill will on anyone that wants a different character. Its toxic, and at the end of the day let us just be happy for each other, not against each other.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Before I go to sleep, I'll posit one suggestion. Don't see this as the death of a smash dream, consider it as us being freed from containment. Why settle for just smash? Demand Geno in all the multiplayer Mario games. It might seem silly, but we're gonna get clowned either way. Might as well have some fun with it.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Truth is that even though I'm upset that he was costumed again, it's still pretty incredible that we could take an "irrelevant one off character from a 90s mario spin off game" and turn him into a character that will no doubt be remembered through smash ultimate history. We got more than most characters will probably ever get and that really says something about just how special this community is. Honestly from the bottom of my heart thank you. Thank you all.

The DoE

Smash Rookie
Everything indicates that Geno's costume did not return as a consolation prize to the fandom or out of respect for the character ... But rather, for preservation. Many people are ignoring the fact that Sakurai did not mention Geno (or take it as a bad thing), but in reality that detail is more suspicious than it should be. EVEN if Sakurai really hadn't cared about Geno's costume, at least he should have given it a mention because it contrasts with the rest of the Mii Costumes (they're all from the same franchise except for Geno). Implying that Geno was planned for later or not, that Mii Costume would have returned anyway. The fact that the Mii Costume is pretty much a port of Wii U's one also supports this.

The fact that Geno's Mii Costume has returned for preservation's sake implies a lot, it does not disconfirm him from an inclusion as a bonus character since Sakurai would not have to bother to include his costume alongside the character itself.

Geno's speculation (or what's left of it) should start looking at the possibility of a bonus character in 2021.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
So...what’s gonna happen to this thread going forward?
What we make of it. I think a lot of us feel that Geno’s chances of making this fighter’s pass have essentially diminished to almost null, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still come here and hope that we’re wrong, or share support for him, or hope for bonus characters/pass 3. This thread may not be as active any more, but if you’ve look at the page count, I feel it doesn’t really have to be; we’ve proved our staying power and shown our voice. In the meantime, maybe we can take the chance to be more chill in our support. In a sense, feeling less pressure to over scrutinize every possible hint may be nice. And if we’ll be waiting here until Ultimate’s end, so be it. I’ll gladly bid you all a fond farewell when the time comes until the next game is one day upon us and the next Geno thread opens up.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
So...what’s gonna happen to this thread going forward?
I mean, technically speaking, Geno's just as likely as he was before, right? Only difference is now we know there's a Mii costume. Whether that changes anything is up to personal interpretation, but again, technically speaking - he's just as likely as he was before, we just didn't know it. Does anything have to change?

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm going to log off for now, I will say I appreciate how much the thread has stayed remarkably tame over the last 8 hours or so. Turns out the Geno fanbase is mostly chill people who aren't going to blow up Sakurai's house if he didn't get in the game, WHO KNEW? ;) Obviously, it's ok to be disappointed, even a little angry (I still certainly am), but I'm glad most people took it rather well, at least here.

I know I've been a little blunt about how I feel about Geno's chances, but I'd rather the thread be let down easy rather than continuing dragging this out when it seems pretty clear the dream is dead, atleast for Ultimate. I have a lot to say about where we go for here but I'm saving it for the BIG post I'm going to do once the storm clears a bit and the clowns get bored tomorrow. (any guesses on which "Never Ever" character is going to be the focus of ****flinging for the forseeable future? I'm voting Crash).

And Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I like you man, and I respect the optimism, but really take a step back and think about where we are right now. Geno's costume returning isn't a "small roadblock", it's a 20ft Tall Reinforced Concrete Wall, and there's about 3 more behind it at this point with Square/Nintendo being themselves and only about a year left of DLC. If you really think Geno still has a shot after this then fine, but remember that both in this community and outside it, people listen to you, for better and for worse.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Everything indicates that Geno's costume did not return as a consolation prize to the fandom or out of respect for the character ... But rather, for preservation. Many people are ignoring the fact that Sakurai did not mention Geno (or take it as a bad thing), but in reality that detail is more suspicious than it should be. EVEN if Sakurai really hadn't cared about Geno's costume, at least he should have given it a mention because it contrasts with the rest of the Mii Costumes (they're all from the same franchise except for Geno). Implying that Geno was planned for later or not, that Mii Costume would have returned anyway.

The fact that Geno's Mii Costume has returned for preservation's sake implies a lot, it does not disconfirm him from an inclusion as a bonus character since Sakurai would not have to bother to include his costume alongside the character itself.

Geno's speculation (or what's left of it) should start looking at the possibility of a bonus character in 2021.
Did they really have to bring the costume back even for preservation, though? Like some have pointed out, the costume has actually gotten some minor touch-ups here and there on top of being adjusted proportion-wise, so it's not an exact port of the Sm4sh one. And there are a ton of other Sm4sh costumes that we haven't seen return yet - the generic non-character ones. I'm all for a Geno bonus DLC, but I'm just not sure I see anything pointing to that in Sakurai's silence.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
My feelings today are really mixed. On the upside, I'm really happy with all the Final Fantasy VII representation we got. The song list is much better and love all the remixes (Aerith Remix hits in the feels for me). The stage is also extremely beautiful visual wise. It's also just really cool to get one of the most iconic video game villains in Smash and once again reminds me that Ultimate is truly a special game. As someone who is also an FFVII fan, I am pleased with the DLC pack and that FFVII is now properly represented in Smash

On the flip side though, I'm also bummed and disappointed that Geno won't be making it in this time. Geno is the only character I've wanted to see payable that I've had some personal attachment too. The Mii looks a little better though and with the number of really cool Mii gunner costumes available, I might consider trying to learn Mii Gunner so in some way I can play as him

I'm hoping though that the Geno community stays strong as ever because while this might be the end for Ultimate, it's not the end overall. There will always be future Smash games, as well as other ways to hopefully get Geno back in the spotlight. I still think there's hope for a future with Geno and Mallow. May not be today, but if we continue to show support I think we can make it happen in the future

I'm not on same page as some of y'all are, I think this is basically it for Geno in Ultimate (unless by some miracle we get a Pass 3), but I'd be happy to stick around and pop in from time to time. I did enjoy my time here, so I wouldn't mind jumping in for discussions here and there and continue to support Geno in general

Keep your heads up everyone, we may have lost this battle, but it also isn't the last one

Last edited:

pennylessz

Smash Cadet
This has been a good place for me to come to for the past while-- I'd just been a lurker for the longest time but finally decided to make an account to be able to talk to you guys. Geno is super important to me but I've become less and less vocal about him online because of how I've been treated. So it's nice to have a place to come to, to talk about him. Even if we didn't fully win this time, it's still a place to celebrate how much we love him. So I'll be sticking around. :)
I know, this community is an outlier. Most places are filled with toxic people just looking to get a rise. I've been a member on Gamefaqs for longer than here, but the amount of assholes on there right now is insane. People bandwagon on characters, but they also bandwagon on hatred of said characters.

Last edited:

Jonathan Motes

Smash Rookie
My condolences for the costume. I was certainly hoping for a little more than that myself, but it is what it is.

Despite how things are turning out, I'm rather happy I've been able to partake in this journey with you all. Geno has come to mean quite a bit to me, and it's in no small part thanks to him that I've been able to reach out and meet so many wonderful people. Sharing this experience with you all has been truly meaningful.

I realize this is basically just a "maybe the REAL Geno was the friends we made along the way" speech, but there's truth to that. Geno is and will continue to be what you make of him, and I look forward to seeing where you take the character and your community in the future. Maybe someday we'll be able to bring him back properly.

Best of luck. 🌠

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom