• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Based on that concept art that was just released, I feel at least 70-80% certain that Geno was originally envisioned as some sort of Smithy Gang turncoat, or at least using a body connected to them.
They released concept art recently? I had no idea, and am sad at my not knowing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatman.

Were you there for the Smash 4 Ridley shadow theories?
Yep. If you want to believe I'm deluded and what not that's perfectly fine. I've been free entertainment for the masses for years and I'm perfectly fine being the resident Don Quixote for another. Your concern is duly noted.

Paraster

Smash Lord
In terms of first parties I feel like the glaring omission's would be like... Waluigi, Isaac, Toad, Dixie Kong, Team Rocket (more of a personal opinion tho) Chibi Robo and the Chorus Kids as far as Nitendo goes. Not that much in the scheme of things

Edit: oh and Bandanna Dee
I'd argue Porky deserves a mention--the biggest villain of an inaugural Smash franchise doesn't even get a spirit? Something weird's going on.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yep. If you want to believe I'm deluded and what not that's perfectly fine. I've been free entertainment for the masses for years and I'm perfectly fine being the resident Don Quixote for another. Your concern is duly noted.
My concern isn't that you're hoping for more.

My concern is that you are not accepting what happened and that you are stringing others along in that.

Why act coy now?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'd argue Porky deserves a mention--the biggest villain of an inaugural Smash franchise doesn't even get a spirit? Something weird's going on.
It's nice to butt in like in the old days, so allow me. He doesn't have a Spirit because the Absolutely Safe Capsule has one. The implication is an in-joke: the Capsule protected Porky from Galeem's rays at the cost of itself. So no, nothing weird's going on, it's just an easter egg.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I remember you from back in the day but I don't know if you were with us in January 2019 when the game was datamined and 16 dummyslots were found in WOL. Added to the base roster, this is the most the CSS can handle before the game crashes. We originally used this information to correctly theorize that there would be more characters after the Fighter's Pass and many people still believe it's applicable:

Plant + Fighter's Pass + Season 2 = 12 leaving 4 slots open before the game can't handle anymore.
Call me crazy, but I could see Sakurai and Nintendo being insane enough to find a way to expand it by any means.
Hopefully they're good memories, but I was a little rambunctious back then, lmao. Either way, nice to finish the journey with you.
Well, long time no see Madame President.
Mostly hood memories, yes. Though I do recall some simping over Katalina back in the day. Lol.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Call me crazy, but I could see Sakurai and Nintendo being insane enough to find a way to expand it by any means.

Well, long time no see Madame President.
Mostly hood memories, yes. Though I do recall some simping over Katalina back in the day. Lol.
Honestly? I'd do that for Katalina again in a heartbeat. Some things never change. Hope you're well Jovah.

Hey Luigi The President Luigi The President !

I remember you from 2018; I don’t remember your posts exactly tbh, but I remember you being cool. Hope you’re doing well.
Hey there CJ. Thank you very much. I hope you're well too.

Dan

Smash Lord
God forbid the two biggest JRPG franchises in history get prioritized in Smash.

Because Geno is very, very, very low priority.

Y'all seem to think because Sakurai mentioned Geno being neat at one point somehow means he's this big character and there has to be some cynical conspiracy keeping him out.

When in reality, he's a 4th string pick: a one-off side character from over a quarter century ago.
Equating him to Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo is honestly downright disturbing; those are dramatically bigger characters (two major antagonists and a main protagonist of several games), and they took a decade of requests from frankly far larger fanbases.

That's something a lot of people just don't realize; you're dedicated as hell, but that doesn't mean you have size. The Geno support is a vocal minority to virtually the nth degree.

Sakurai mentioning Geno once years ago doesn't mean he cares all that much; Nintendo has no reason to care about him and Square has no reason to care about him.

What little favor from Sakurai and what little effect your voices have had resulted in a mii costume reprisal.

You can wax about "oh but people said the same thing about Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo".
What did they have going against them?

What's the workaround here?
He's got an obstacle that makes Banjo's look like nothing. And the popularity and impact of Banjo-Kazooie VS the popularity of Geno the wooden doll should tell anybody all that needs to be said.

And fatmanonice is ridiculous. Trying to drop off a 26 page manifesto at Nintendo HQ? Continuing to act like Geno has a chance, even after this? Saying his DMs are open for people in need?
He's a cultist, and the way the people in here act it's like a cult. Geno is the god trying to be willed into Smash and Fatman's the "humble" head priest ("I'm not forcing anybody to stay") who constantly clings to threads and tries to convince people that Geno's in and not to lose hope.

If the goddamn Tekken fans can all take an L when Heihachi showed up, why on earth are there still people clinging to Geno?
He is a character from a video game, therefore he can get in. Please stop. Sakurai said in the past that Ridley would never be playable cause he wouldn't be Ridley.

Any character can get in the game and you would be scrambling for reasons. Geno could be the next character and you would be scrambling... there are no rules. The workaround for Geno is to put him in the game.

Your wall of text is pretty and all, but let me say this one more time:

Any character from a video game can get in.

Clear now?

It just bother me so immensely that you are sitting here justifying Ridley, Rool and Banjo, characters that were in the same position as Geno and held the same reasons against them previously... you must be new here. It is an anomaly those characters are even in the game because they decided to listen to the fans for once.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'm not going to beat around the bush here, Geno isn't getting in at this point. He just isn't.
  1. First off, they aren't going to add Geno in the same pass they're selling a goddamn costume of him in.
  2. Every official source ranging from Sakurai to Nintendo themselves have gone out of their way to push the idea multiple times that Fighter Pass 2 is it, that once it's over, they're done with Smash Ultimate for good.
  3. Even if they HAVE decided to do a few extra characters, we still have the hard deadline of December 2021 for Pass 2. Given how much of a deal Sakurai has made out of it being the last Smash thing he's going to do for a long time since working on it for 8+ years, I highly doubt anything is releasing beyond that. That's only a year away, and it's well established that negotiations and decisions for characters take months if not years to come together. If Geno was going to be in Ultimate, it would have been decided by now, and with the costume back it's clear they made the choice not to include him.
I mean really, the strongest pieces of evidence Geno had going for him over the past year was the missing costumes, and a decent amount of other things pointing towards us getting a 2nd Square Character as DLC. Obviously, both of those points are completely up in smoke with Sephiroth. I know people like to point fingers and say "FAN RULE FAN RULE FAN RULE", but come on, know when to throw in the towel.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I personally respect that you're still going until the end of Ultimate, even after it looks like we've been soundly defeated. Some might call it insane or stupid, but I just picture someone in a race who's just had their arms and legs blown off and they're still trying to pull themselves along with their teeth, and I think that's a pretty motivating mental image.

Not to mention, even if you were just spouting lies and stringing us along for however many years - which I don't believe since you've had several people backing you up before - nobody can truthfully say that you haven't been working to keep Geno alive, either way.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It just bother me so immensely that you are sitting here justifying Ridley, Rool and Banjo, characters that were in the same position as Geno and held the same reasons against them previously... you must be new here. It is an anomaly those characters are even in the game because they decided to listen to the fans for once.
Every character has unique circumstance.

To lump characters together like that is a logical fallacy.

X=/=Y

Ridley =/= K.Rool

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Also, a note from someone who's been advocating for Geno longer than I see a lot of you have had accounts:

It's over, y'all. And that's okay. Accept it for yourself. Have some closure and peace of mind. He's not coming this pass, and he won't be coming any other pass, either. It's done. He has a little spot in gaming's biggest crossover, and that's more than what he would've gotten without years of fan hype. Mission complete. Time to go home.

Dan

Smash Lord
Every character has unique circumstance.

To lump characters together like that is a logical fallacy.

X=/=Y

Ridley =/= K.Rool
No it is not.

Video game character = video game character. That is the only rule. The only issue would be rights issues for a character like Sora for instance.

We got frickin' Piranha Plant and people are still out here making imaginary rules.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Yeah this pretty much sums up how I'm feeling. Yeah there will be a new game, but it won't be SSBU which is basically an event celebrating videogame history. A mii costume from 2014 and a spirit is a pittance compared to seeing your favorite characters interact and be playable. And at this point I'm 31 and have already spent 3 years here stressing out about this character. I love Geno and SMRPG will be fighting for them to return somehow, but thinking he's going to magically appear after they're selling people a mii costume of him feels delusional at this point. And I don't feel like spending the next decade clinging onto the hope that he may make it in a game Sakurai more or less said won't happen or if it does will be drastically different. If he does get in? That'll be awesome and I will be very happy. But it won't be the same. He won't be on the mural. And I don't see myself investing as much hope in him getting into Smash specifically in the future more than an SMRPG reboot or appearing in a future Mario title. A lot of things seemed like they were lining up for him but they didn't. Mallow getting in as a costume is probably the most that fans can hope for at this point on the off chance Cacomallow is real.

Stop lecturing me please.
The only way i could see Geno happening for Ultimate is if Ultimate got some kind of deluxe port on the next console or something, but that could take at least 7 years, by that point i dont think Sakurai would even be making smash stuff, and he's the only higher up who has even mentioned Geno in over 15 years.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I want to take this moment to remind everyone that hope and expectation, though confused for one another irritatingly often, are not the same thing. I HOPE that somehow geno will be made playable through some miracle before ultimate's life cycle ends. but I do not EXPECT that to happen.

TL;DR Words have definitions.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get good at clowning on people as mii gunner.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My concern isn't that you're hoping for more.

My concern is that you are not accepting what happened and that you are stringing others along in that.

Why act coy now?
Like I said earlier today, free will still exists. Still haven't found these cosmic witch powers I supposedly have that force people to agree with everything I say without question or argument. People give me way too much credit especially in the light that I pretty much stay in this thread because people will whine otherwise. The crushing irony is that people have to specifically come to this thread to get mad at me for people agreeing with me in other threads. If it's genuinely a problem, the mods can boot me from the site but I get along pretty well with a vast majority of people all things considered.

Paraster

Smash Lord
It's nice to butt in like in the old days, so allow me. He doesn't have a Spirit because the Absolutely Safe Capsule has one. The implication is an in-joke: the Capsule protected Porky from Galeem's rays at the cost of itself. So no, nothing weird's going on, it's just an easter egg.
It's a fun idea, but I don't really buy it. They'd keep an iconic villain (who was even a boss in a previous Smash game) completely hidden for the sake of an in-joke while some characters got multiple spirits with different costumes?

Lore-wise, spirits were clearly taken from across different time periods and dimensions; would the Capsule prevent Galeem from incinerating EarthBound-era Porky?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hey Luigi The President Luigi The President , it's been a while. Nice to see you and hope all is well!
Oh hey there! Thank you very much. Same goes to you.

It's a fun idea, but I don't really buy it. They'd keep an iconic villain (who was even a boss in a previous Smash game) completely hidden for the sake of an in-joke while some characters got multiple spirits with different costumes?

Lore-wise, spirits were clearly taken from across different time periods and dimensions; would the Capsule prevent Galeem from incinerating EarthBound-era Porky?
I mean, it probably could. It has absolutely absurd powers. I'm just saying you shouldn't underestimate Sakurai's love of an inside joke.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No it is not.

Video game character = video game character. That is the only rule. The only issue would be rights issues for a character like Sora for instance.

We got frickin' Piranha Plant and people are still out here making imaginary rules.
You just made your argument so abstract and meaningless that I can't argue against it...

I'll just say, different characters have different pros and cons, and each character chosen has different reasons they were picked, whether they be through requests, advertising or even just developer fun.

That's not a bad thing. That's just how development goes.

Like I said earlier today, free will still exists. Still haven't found these cosmic witch powers I supposedly have that force people to agree with everything I say without question or argument. People give me way too much credit especially in the light that I pretty much stay in this thread because people will whine otherwise. The crushing irony is that people have to specifically come to this thread to get mad at me for people agreeing with me in other threads. If it's genuinely a problem, the mods can boot me from the site but I get along pretty well with a vast majority of people all things considered.
Don't patronize me Fatman, it doesn't do anyone much good.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
It's because they're no longer in that position that makes him have to acknowledge that they're worthy of Smash. You can bet money if neither of those three made it through the cracks, the trolls would still attack them. Remember, once a never-ever gets in Smash, they suddenly had a good validation for getting in and any argument against their inclusion is suddenly forgotten or applied to other characters.

Gamerguy1993

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! Long time lurker and geno supporter of about 5 years here, I just made an account just to post im sorry about all recent events and I hope you all are doing good. I feel the need to make an account to send my regards and I have finally decided to jump off the smash bandwagon most likely permanently, as fun of a ride it has been, I have come to terms with Nintendo's priorities regarding characters And I personally after have Never felt More super dis attached to a franchise than ever before. I guess you can call this behaivour a little bit immature but I feel as of now I just personally don’t have anymore characters to be interested for anymore, after becoming the laughing stock in a couple of onlinr niches over a video game character I just feel like moving on is the right thing personally to do. I hope in the future maybe the community mods him into ultimate as a playable character at some point but until that day comes I plan on dropping smash speculation for a long time it’s been an amazing journey with you all, this wasn’t the ending I bet we where all expecting whatsoever but whatever makes companies more money they will do. gg nintendo.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
It's because they're no longer in that position that makes him have to acknowledge that they're worthy of Smash. You can bet money if neither of those three made it through the cracks, the trolls would still attack them. Remember, once a never-ever gets in Smash, they suddenly had a good validation for getting in and any argument against their inclusion is suddenly forgotten or applied to other characters.
Amen!!!!!! You nailed it!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
For all these accusations, I fail to see anyone really "being strung along" by fatman. Most of the responses I've seen is like "damn, fatman sure rides through to the end. While I think Geno would be an actual miracle at this point, I admire your ability to see it through. Even though Geno wont happen in my book, I'd be happy to be proven wrong"
Seems concern trollish

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Don't patronize me Fatman, it doesn't do anyone much good.
Then don't patronize the thread, man. The whole "Fatman, release these poor fools from your wicked psychic cult powers" is just so condescending. Like I always ask, what's the grift? Reddit Gold? The totally indispensable likes I get? It's this idea that so many people push that people only come here because they think I can magically will things into existence but, lo and behold, the real reason is that people have fun in here. It's not that foreign of a concept.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Banjo was an irrelevant cereal mascot right up until he got revealed, no?

Then don't patronize the thread, man. The whole "Fatman, release these poor fools from your wicked psychic cult powers" is just so condescending. Like I always ask, what's the grift? Reddit Gold? The totally indispensable likes I get? It's this idea that so many people push that people only come here because they think I can magically will things into existence but, lo and behold, the real reason is that people have fun in here. It's not that foreign of a concept.
Well I, for one will allow you to hold me in your evil sway no longer. I see now the dangers of you posting relatively inconsequential ideas about a video game.
People speak as if you're the lynchpin to people having or giving up hope in geno, and it's more than a little.. I dunno what the word is.. annoying? confusing? Insulting! They speak as if we are but mere sheep with no agency of our own.

Get ****ed. I'm here because I want to be, not because I have to hang off fatman's every word like a tier 3 onlyfans supporter.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I don't think it really matters or does anyone any good to say something along the lines of 'please don't hope for Geno to come in another pass/other DLC' even if you feel that it's in their best interest. Because if people hope for that and it doesn't happen? That's literally it. Nothing else happens. People hoped that Geno would come in this pass and it didn't happen. But that was it, and nothing else happened.

You shouldn't have a problem with people clinging onto hope, even if it's a dumb hope or one that you feel will go nowhere. That someone besides you has hope for something shouldn't hurt you at all.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I don't know man, I imagine it would've taken minimal effort for them to make a proper head for Geno. I feel like this bitter pill would've gone down a lot easier if that were the case.

I get it, but at this point, I was just hoping for something a little more than Smash 4's representation. Even if it was just a song or proper Mii head.

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice do you think theres any chance geno could still be in ? today was depressing and i just want some hope to hold on to even if its small. Does the mii costume completely disocnfirm him?

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Geno was an irrelevant cereal mascot right up until he got revealed, no?
See how that works? People forget cereal mascots aren't all animals wearing sneakers and bandanas. Frankly, Geno may as well be an irrelevant cereal mascot in their eyes.

And then I remember the Super Mario Cereal and realized they missed a golden opportunity to make Star Bits Cereal with Geno holding a bowl on the box . Yet again another missed opportunity.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For all these accusations, I fail to see anyone really "being strung along" by fatman. Most of the responses I've seen is like "damn, fatman sure rides through to the end. While I think Geno would be an actual miracle at this point, I admire your ability to see it through. Even though Geno wont happen in my book, I'd be happy to be proven wrong"
Seems concern trollish
This is the 4th time I've been accused of "concern trolling" in this thread.

Which do you find more likely?

A member who used to be a mod on this site "Concern trolling" or me having genuine reason to be concerned?

Like I always ask, what's the grift?
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice do you think theres any chance geno could still be in ? today was depressing and i just want some hope to hold on to even if its small. Does the mii costume completely disocnfirm him?
A lot of power other thread leaders don't have.

Regardless, I'm leaving. I hate the term "concern trolling."

Makes my blood boil.

Last edited:

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
This is the 4th time I've been accused of "concern trolling" in this thread.

Which do you find more likely?

A member who used to be a mod on this site "Concern trolling" or me having genuine reason to be concerned?

A lot of power other thread leaders don't have.
dude relax i am literaly just asking for his opinion not saying i believe everything he says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom