• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

LexiHi

Smash Rookie
Yep. Sabi is a weirdo, but you can't denie the dude had some deep connections within the industry before his reputation went to ****.

I don't think Sabi came back to Twitter. What Fatman was talking about happened in 2018.
I stumbled across this comment while hearing some things about a possible third Square Enix DLC character, so I decided to make an account to respond to this.

I hadn't heard about what Sabi did but I looked up a thread on stuff and I can see how y'all feel now... I'm not sure if it's my place to say, but he did reactivate his Twitter account... @tickingtockle on Twitter, just in case anyone wants to steer clear of him, although he seems quiet now. I know this is him cause he had became my mutual and started talking to me when I was still 17 (scary now that I know about the **** he did), and his DM was still saved in my inbox when he reactivated. Hopefully this reaches some people?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just for information's sake and future reference, these have been the length of each "Presents" presentation rounded up or down:

Joker: 15 minutes
Hero: 22 minutes
Banjo: 25 minutes
Terry: 49 minutes
Byleth: 39 minutes
Min Min: 35 minutes
Steve: 46 minutes
Sephiroth: at least 35 minutes

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
So basically, if Geno's not gonna get costumed, then the Chocobo costume might not return either, because the Geno costume and only that costume being missing would make things too obvious?

It's possible, I guess, though it'd be weird if the one returning costume directly based on Final Fantasy didn't return with... you know, a Final Fantasy character. Then again, neither costumes returned with Hero despite making sense to put those costumes there, so...
To be fair, at least in hindsight, not including Chcoobo and Geno with Hero makes sense given the fact that
1. Hero represents a different RPG series.
2. He's more Enix oriented than Square oriented.
Now that we know we have another final fantasy character, it makes sense holding off on them.

However, not including Chocobo hat with Sephiroth when they're not only from the same franchise but are both among the most recognizable parts of said franchise? That'd be even stranger. I suppose they COULD still do that, keeping the Geno and Chhocobo hat as a pair that get shown off together, either during the presentation or at a later point, but I'm still skeptical, unless they have a THIRD FF representative please don't do this to me Sakurai or something.

Nintendo's done weirder, so nothing's off the table, but I just don't know if they'd hold it off like that, (especially when I feel like it'd be suspicious to hold off the Chocobo hat alongside Geno's outfit too. Like, why single those two out from the Final fantasy character?)

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
For people still not finding the "only 9th DLC revealed" thing.

Put this video's description under google translate. What do you get?

Attachments

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I don't know about you, but to me it feels way too late to bring back the Mii costume. if Geno does survive this upcoming presentation then that can only mean there is something going on behind the scenes involving our dear puppet. but still if i'm wrong about it i will be the first person out here to take the L and admit my mistake

QQS

Smash Lord
I have always believed that Geno was decided to be playable right when the Wii U costume came on that console. Saved for the next installment, Ultimate. So, if that costume won’t return on Thursday, that will confirm my theory/faith and it can only mean that Geno is indeed coming as a Full Fighter later, probably as #79 or in another spot. Recreating the Third Party Fan Demand fulfilled we saw with Banjo-Kazooie, maybe even in a higher scale due to how hard this character is.

Im not blind but there is no way Geno won’t be playable after all the evidence, demand, Sakurai’s recognition and even a Splash Art putting emphasis on his inclusion even as a Mii. This character is a perfect addition in terms of music, design, history and mostly, fresh and fun moveset.

Even a deluxe costume at this point would be a crime. Of course I could live with that cause Smash is already perfect and the team always do their best.

Im just saying that IMO Geno will align like a star and join the party, ultimately.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
if Geno gets playable in this game i would start supporting Smithy in the next smash game Sephiroth has opened the gates for 3rd party villains and 2nd non echo 3rd party character from same franchise
this game needs a playable shapeshifter!

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
if Geno gets playable in this game i would start supporting Smithy in the next smash game Sephiroth has opened the gates for 3rd party villains and 2nd non echo 3rd party character from same franchise
this game needs a playable shapeshifter!
Kirby?

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Just for information's sake and future reference, these have been the length of each "Presents" presentation rounded up or down:

Joker: 15 minutes
Hero: 22 minutes
Banjo: 25 minutes
Terry: 49 minutes
Byleth: 39 minutes
Min Min: 35 minutes
Steve: 46 minutes
Sephiroth: at least 35 minutes
Sephiroth is going to be short huh? Guess the only thing to expect is the Character, Mii Costumes, Spirits and Terry, Banjo, Byleth amiibo announcement. No new updates or modes.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Just checked, seems like they skipped over another spirit event number, 70 to 72. Interesting since Sephiroth is getting released soon, wondering if it's going to tie into whatever costumes get revealed tomorrow like Cuphead was. I mean we've already seen two other independent Square Spirit Events, it does make me think about whether they will choose to add Mii Costumes from other Square franchises.

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Sephiroth is going to be short huh? Guess the only thing to expect is the Character, Mii Costumes, Spirits and Terry, Banjo, Byleth amiibo announcement. No new updates or modes.
I wouldn’t call 35 minutes short when you consider that the only characters with comparable or longer presentations either had complicated movesets that needed a lot of explaining (Steve and Min Min) or had a lot of history to go over (Terry) because Sakurai’s a huge fanboy

Sephiroth is the Banjo-Kazooie of this pass—his moveset looks pretty basic and doesn’t seem to need too much elaboration. I bet a lot of this presentation is going to focus on the things he brings with him—the music, the stage, the Mii costumes, etc.

I can see Sakurai spending 10 minutes just gushing over the Mii costumes, TBH.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Just checked, seems like they skipped over another spirit event number, 70 to 72. Interesting since Sephiroth is getting released soon, wondering if it's going to tie into whatever costumes get revealed tomorrow like Cuphead was. I mean we've already seen two other independent Square Spirit Events, it does make me think about whether they will choose to add Mii Costumes from other Square franchises.
If the event does tie in to any new Square Mii Costumes, I believe Bravely Default is a solid candidate considering it’s successful status and BD2 coming in February. It’s also surprising how Octopath and Trials of Mana got new spirit events but not BD, so I think that may be next. However, if Mii Costume Guy is right though about 2B being a Mii, then I can also see Nier having a spirit event.

Heoj

Smash Ace
I still find it strange how only the japanese description says no additional fighters. Like youd think they would prioritize saying the same thing to the rest of the world ya know?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I still find it strange how only the japanese description says no additional fighters. Like youd think they would prioritize saying the same thing to the rest of the world ya know?
It is indeed odd. Maybe Japanese people have pestered Nintendo to reveal the next character right away? You wouldn't think they'd need to put a disclaimer telling people that they're not gonna be like "Anyway here's Crash Bandicoot" at the end of Sephi's presentation, let alone only in a specific language, but 🤷‍♀️

MattX20

Smash Hero
Currently, there's the rumor of 2B getting a Mii Costume and Crono's name is possible for this as well.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I wouldn’t call 35 minutes short when you consider that the only characters with comparable or longer presentations either had complicated movesets that needed a lot of explaining (Steve and Min Min) or had a lot of history to go over (Terry) because Sakurai’s a huge fanboy

Sephiroth is the Banjo-Kazooie of this pass—his moveset looks pretty basic and doesn’t seem to need too much elaboration. I bet a lot of this presentation is going to focus on the things he brings with him—the music, the stage, the Mii costumes, etc.

I can see Sakurai spending 10 minutes just gushing over the Mii costumes, TBH.
With that last line intended, that could mean some major mii costumes could show up which we already know. Also wouldn't say Sephiroth is Banjo in terms of moveset. He's going to be Cloud/Hero of the Pass. The famous JRPG. It's less complicated than Steve sure but it's isn't basic of the sense.

However I don't think he needs 10 minutes. A sizzle reel of 2 mins and small info should suffice. The game could use more modes though, could help the long run of this game even more ways than fighters could

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I wouldn't say "short", just shorter than Terry and Steve. Terry's was the longest because Sakurai not only did a full playthrough of Classic mode as well as a bioptic of SNK and Fatal Fury/King of Fighters. Steve's was long because Sakurai had to explain Steve's mechanics and all the stage options. Sephiroth's will be around the length of Min Min and Byleth's.

What were the make ups of these presentations?

Byleth: Byleth's reveal, a bioptic on Fire Emblem and Three Houses, an explanation of all of Byleth's weapons, a reveal of Old Greg Monastery and explanation of all the cameos and all four areas, the Mii costumes, Amiibo reveals, and the reveal and explanation of Season 2.

Min Min: Sakurai introducing his house (yes, really), a short biotic on ARMS itself, Min Min's reveal, explanation of Min Min's moveset, a reveal of Spring Stadium, Amiibo reveals, Mii costume reveals, reveal of the new Spirit mode, Sakurai explaining future Mii costumes will likely change old spirit events, and tips and tricks for the harder spirit events in the game.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say "short", just shorter than Terry and Steve. Terry's was the longest because Sakurai not only did a full playthrough of Classic mode as well as a bioptic of SNK and Fatal Fury/King of Fighters. Steve's was long because Sakurai had to explain Steve's mechanics and all the stage options. Sephiroth's will be around the length of Min Min and Byleth's.

What were the make ups of these presentations?

Byleth: Byleth's reveal, a bioptic on Fire Emblem and Three Houses, an explanation of all of Byleth's weapons, a reveal of Old Greg Monastery and explanation of all the cameos and all four areas, the Mii costumes, Amiibo reveals, and the reveal and explanation of Season 2.

Min Min: Sakurai introducing his house (yes, really), a short biotic on ARMS itself, Min Min's reveal, explanation of Min Min's moveset, a reveal of Spring Stadium, Amiibo reveals, Mii costume reveals, reveal of the new Spirit mode, Sakurai explaining future Mii costumes will likely change old spirit events, and tips and tricks for the harder spirit events in the game.
That, and FF7 is such a well known game that it's not going to need a biopic on it. Sephiroth is fairly well known after all

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would be less disappointed if Geno is deconfirmed in a Crono presentation than Sephiroth presentation knowing that Crono finally gets revived from the dead and was able to bring Geno with him
In some way both Crono and Geno are stuck in the square-enix jail for ages and the company don’t know what they should do with them yet both their fans still have waited for so long to have any sign of them being revived
I would be more disappointed if they revealed Geno's Mii costume with another Square-Enix character aside from Hero and Sephiroth. If Geno wasn't strongly considered or planned from the start, they should have just brought his Mii costume back in Hero's pack. To me it would feel wrong if we get another Square-Enix character and they wait to bring back the Geno costume with that character.

link2702

Smash Champion
for those wondering why NoA doesn't list the fact that there won't be another reveal during the presentation. Most likely one of two scenarios.

1. They were just lazy. Didn't feel like adding that to it, put up the bare minimum amount of info about it needed.
2. They're gonna treat the Geno mii upgrade as a "new" character. I can already see them giving that trailer more effort than the Vault Tech, Cuphead, and Sans mii's combined. All just so we'll have more false hope for smash6 as we cling to the effort they put into this trailer like we did the smash4 one and say "see? That means he's in! "

The second is probably likely. Nintendo is pretty tone deaf to what their fans actually want all the time.

Heoj

Smash Ace
for those wondering why NoA doesn't list the fact that there won't be another reveal during the presentation. Most likely one of two scenarios.

1. They were just lazy. Didn't feel like adding that to it, put up the bare minimum amount of info about it needed.
2. They're gonna treat the Geno mii upgrade as a "new" character. I can already see them giving that trailer more effort than the Vault Tech, Cuphead, and Sans mii's combined. All just so we'll have more false hope for smash6 as we cling to the effort they put into this trailer like we did the smash4 one and say "see? That means he's in! "

The second is probably likely. Nintendo is pretty tone deaf to what their fans actually want all the time.
ngl, that 2nd point really, really hurts. Like as i was reading that i felt nothing but pain

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
That, and FF7 is such a well known game that it's not going to need a biopic on it. Sephiroth is fairly well known after all
Yeah but then again he did go into the details of the Fire Emblem franchise like nobody knew what it was anymore.
Granted, maybe it was for the sake of filling time or just talking origins, but if you know Smash, odds are you know Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember either hearing or mishearing that there are numbered Spirits close to the base game Spirits that haven't been announced yet. You know, Event Spirits they should have been revealed close to base game but still haven't yet. Either that or some numbered Spirits far back haven't been revealed yet.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
ngl, that 2nd point really, really hurts. Like as i was reading that i felt nothing but pain
Reminds me of how I felt when spirits were first announced. Specifically when sakurai mentioned that some spirit combos might be someone's dream team, as if a PNG were any suitable replacement for the character. It's the only time I've ever said "f*** you sakurai" and meant it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah but then again he did go into the details of the Fire Emblem franchise like nobody knew what it was anymore.
Granted, maybe it was for the sake of filling time or just talking origins, but if you know Smash, odds are you know Fire Emblem.
He's also a pretty big fan of FE, so his presentations likely would have a few bias factors in it.

I don't know if VII is his favorite FF game though. Also, he's a huge SNK fan.

That said, my thoughts on the Geno costume; I never originally bought into the theory that it was a Enix and Square side, but it might not be so illogical. Besides them actually wanting to push Dragon Quest harder, Sephiroth already would've been licensed/figured out by then. If Geno's costume would come back, it'd make more sense to bring it back with Sephiroth at that point, so they can bring it and the Chocobo Hat together. That, and don't forget SMRPG actually took a lot of notes from Final Fantasy, being essentially a Mario Fantasy game in terms of how it's designed and a boss based upon it. This is yet another reason to keep them together. Considering we have noticed Square/Enix/Square-Enix be picky on what gets shown off together, this isn't that unfounded.

Though I do want to point out the returning costumes were also updated(not as Premium, just made graphically better). Geno's costume being re-used would require new licensing either way(since it was licensed for 4), but they have every reason to outright update it graphically. It doesn't even need to be premium for that. Though, imo, if it's sticking with a costume this game, I'd definitely rather have a good face and music along with it. At least then it doesn't look weird and we still get some great music. It's the next best thing, again, imo, to playable.

Quick caveat; I am blatantly speaking for myself. I don't expect nor am suggesting people should be happy with a costume, even a much better version than 4's. I'm just one who doesn't dislike costumes and am okay with that kind of representation. I was quite happy with K. Rool having a playable variation alone. Tails, Knuckles, etc. ...Though where the hell is the Shadow Hat(which due to how he is, he doesn't need to be tied to any specific moveset, since he uses guns, swords, and fisticuffs. Incidentally, so do Rabbids, though I did want them to have a full costume with unique weapons like the plunger. Assuming they couldn't be regular playable).

Now, if Geno's costume doesn't show up, and Sephiroth isn't complicated, I could see a bonus character being plausible. Not a Pass 3, though. Only Steve and Min Min of Pass 2 took a while, and that was due to them being complicated. Now imagine if no other character is like that, but is like Sephiroth. If they have time, a bonus character or two is possible.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Tomorrow sure is going to be intense around here when they're about to announce the Mii costume wave. Remember guys, no matter what happens, stay strong until the end or just accept the Mii costume and move on. If the Mii costume comes back tomorrow and that's Geno's fate, there is nothing we can do about at least for Ultimate. However, our massive vocal support in this game could get Geno in Smash 6 if not Ultimate as K. Rool and Ridley's biggest support crowds was in Smash 4 but they didn't get in until Ultimate. Sure, the Smash Ballot played a role in K. Rool and Ridley's inclusions more, but if not that we should still be vocal as possible for Geno until the day he get's in.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Tomorrow sure is going to be intense around here when they're about to announce the Mii costume wave. Remember guys, no matter what happens, stay strong until the end or just accept the Mii costume and move on. If the Mii costume comes back tomorrow and that's Geno's fate, there is nothing we can do about at least for Ultimate. However, our massive vocal support in this game could get Geno in Smash 6 if not Ultimate as K. Rool and Ridley's biggest support crowds was in Smash 4 but they didn't get in until Ultimate. Sure, the Smash Ballot played a role in K. Rool and Ridley's inclusions more, but if not that we should still be vocal as possible for Geno until the day he get's in.
Exactly. At the end of the day, it’s important to KEEP GENO’S NAME in the conversation. Trend him on Twitter, Instagram, etc. Just keep his name out there.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, I'm sure the Smash Ballot had a ton of Geno votes too. Which means he's already in as good of a position as he could be in a way. Of course, I agree with speaking up more and more(not in the way of spamming hashtags either, obviously. There's a lot of poor twitter replies that literally throw stuff like dexit or whatever on literally any Nintendo tweet, including those unrelated to Pokemon. Let's not be like that. Let's make a good movement).

...Though to my knowledge Change.org does nothing in itself, having your voice heard in a professional and respective/non-spammy way is really really good. Nintendo either way can only do so much. There's going to be other things behind the scenes. We literally have no clue how talks related to Geno went other than SE saying yes to a costume in 4. They could be part of why he's not playable. They may not relate to it. So either way, our voices can do as much as get Nintendo's undivided attention and that's it.

If anything, that also could mean they might be able to use him more beyond just Smash, since showing lots of extra demand would make him more profitable. Mario Kart, Party, SMRPG and possibly spin-offs, other cameos, etc. That's still a good thing~

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Exactly. At the end of the day, it’s important to KEEP GENO’S NAME in the conversation. Trend him on Twitter, Instagram, etc. Just keep his name out there.
Oh, Geno fans don't have to do anything in that department. Its his detractors who can't shut up about him. Go into a general speculation thread at a random time and there's the same 4 people complaining about Geno for the 10,000th time.

Honestly, the one bright spot of him being potentially Mii'ed is that his detractors can finally move on with their lives and stop obsessing over him.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If anything, that also could mean they might be able to use him more beyond just Smash, since showing lots of extra demand would make him more profitable. Mario Kart, Party, SMRPG and possibly spin-offs, other cameos, etc. That's still a good thing~
Absolutely. Seeing Geno return in any game and becoming relevant would be a massive win for this fanbase regardless if he get's into Smash soon or not. Seeing Geno rise from the grave is the Ultimate goal here is it not guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom