• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
With the tweet saying no additional announcements bow( Japanese stream announcement)

I really wonder what’s happening now. Are we getting the costume?

If not, it’s such a glaring omission that it confirmsayble Geno practically so why makes us wait for an obvious reveal? I don’t know but it should be an interesting Thursday.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
To be Fair, Old costumes have had Designs updated (Gil is an Example). It's not as extreme as a Premium costume, bit updates could be made

The Licensing for Regular Geno Costume and Premium Geno costume should be Similar. The Only thing is that there would probably be music added for it, but I think they willing to make the Additions. Premium Costume with Extra content as a whole sell more anyway.
To be fair, I don’t think any of the costumes are “straight ports”, I assume they all have to be re-rigged and probably retextured for Ultimate’s art style. But you could make that argument for the other “deluxe” costumes too - why bother making them any different from other costumes, why bother giving them a song?

Frankly, I’ll only be disappointed tomorrow if we get the old costume exactly as it was. Getting a “deluxe” costume would actually make me very happy, but I know I’m sort of the odd one out in that case.
Yes, I understand some tweaks have to be made even for what I call straight ports, but as you said, it's not quite to the extent of actually making it into something as elaborate as Sans or Cuphead. If anything, the fact they already have a perfectly serviceable Geno costume to port over and make tiny changes to make me doubt that the thought of "oh yeah, let's update Geno's costume so it looks like those there 'deluxe' costumes we've been making!".

There's also the fact none of the old Smash 4 costumes have received any substantial improvements so far, and I don't see what'd make Geno special in that regard. If he's so special, I'd expect them to, well... make him into a fighter already. I can't speak for everyone of course, but at least to me, an upgraded Geno costume would be an omega slap in the face for me. If he's a fighter, I'm ecstatic. If he's just the same old costume, I'd be incredibly disappointed, but at least I'd understand somewhat. But if he's a deluxe costume... it'd just feel kinda insulting. It'd be an awful in-between having him as a fighter and just having the costume back, like they only half cared.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
View attachment 295778

One thing I've really come to appreciate about this speculation cycle is how open people are about where they are from, especially the Geno fans here that are from Mexico, Central America, and South America. Doing this for eons, it's wild to me how much different it is from the Brawl days. In the Brawl days, nobody really wanted to rock the boat so hardly anyone went out of their way to say where they were from, what ethnicity they were, etc. "White, straight, male, and American" was quietly considered the default because, unfortunately, the Smash community does have a long history of totally blowing off people who aren't these. Hell, I remember fighting with people back in the day for typically blowing off the skill of prominent European, Australian, and Japanese players.

Brawl passes and Smash 4 brings a new era. Suddenly, non-Americans are being treated with more respect. Suddenly, people are a lot more open about their ethnicity and sexuality (not in a creepy, well, at least most of the time...) Competitive experiences of players around the world are now considered a lot more important to the overall narrative. Ultimate then comes along and things open up even more. YEET Smash is a great example of this and how some of the videos I only understand like half of what the players are saying but their experience is considered important and part of the grander community. Still a long way to go but women have become a lot more prominent in the Smash community with Ultimate too. The community is growing and the world is getting smaller and it's honestly fantastic.

This brings us to this thread and times that I've found myself reading stories about Geno and SMRPG in Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, etc and it's really something else. In the Brawl days, it was hard to imagine the Geno fanbase as a "global effort." In those days, you largely just assumed everyone was a white red blooded 18-25 American male and it was never really something that people asked about or made a point of highlighting. It's so much different now because of social media. You have artists here. You have animators here. You have people who run YouTube channels and podcasts and even fan sites.

The ease of communication is astounding for someone like me who's older than time itself. I just really appreciate it how so many of you insert yourselves into the overall narrative. Being a part of the Geno fanbase is a part of you and it's something you share with people all around the world. Regardless of how tomorrow turns out, don't lose sight of that. Don't lose sight of how you can hop online on your computer and phone and interact with people clear across the world you likely wouldn't have met if not for Geno and SMRPG.

At the end of the day, that's Ultimately what's important: comraderie and having a group of people you can be yourself around and share the ups and downs of life with.
I feel like this is the perfect time to take something out of my chest:

Tomorrow will be the day that seals the fate of our dear puppet and even though you guys know i've always been confident about Geno dodging bullets, a part of me hasn't been this scared since the Hero mii wave. but you know what? we have endured worse things than this, and i REFUSE to believe that after a year and a half of rumors, leaks and being heard by various insider circles that Sakurai would kill us off like this.

i don't care if i sound naive or foolish but this character means everything to me and it's all thanks to this game and it's fantastic community that i met the best friends of my life here on this thread and i'll always be grateful for it. on the other hand even if some of you give up on the Geno dream i'll do my best to spread the word about it and make sure that his name is not forgotten.

because this puppet is not an irrelevant character from one decade old game, he's not just a "Pinocchio", Geno represents the wishes, hopes and dreams of people all around the world doing their best to make sure this dude gets the recognition he deserves.

Staarih

Smash Master
But if he's a deluxe costume... it'd just feel kinda insulting. It'd be an awful in-between having him as a fighter and just having the costume back, like they only half cared.
There's always the possibility of negotiations regarding Geno not going as wanted, so they'd just have to make the best of what they have. In which case I feel like updating the Mii costume would show at least some effort of making Geno "happen", even if not as a separate character. We have no idea what goes behind the scenes.

The presentation can't come soon enough...

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yes, I understand some tweaks have to be made even for what I call straight ports, but as you said, it's not quite to the extent of actually making it into something as elaborate as Sans or Cuphead. If anything, the fact they already have a perfectly serviceable Geno costume to port over and make tiny changes to make me doubt that the thought of "oh yeah, let's update Geno's costume so it looks like those there 'deluxe' costumes we've been making!".

There's also the fact none of the old Smash 4 costumes have received any substantial improvements so far, and I don't see what'd make Geno special in that regard. If he's so special, I'd expect them to, well... make him into a fighter already. I can't speak for everyone of course, but at least to me, an upgraded Geno costume would be an omega slap in the face for me. If he's a fighter, I'm ecstatic. If he's just the same old costume, I'd be incredibly disappointed, but at least I'd understand somewhat. But if he's a deluxe costume... it'd just feel kinda insulting. It'd be an awful in-between having him as a fighter and just having the costume back, like they only half cared.
I Mean that is you

For Geno being a Premium, I Kind of look at Geno like Bomberman as an example. Bomberman was a Character that was requested, not as Much as Geno, but He still was popular character, and he got Assisted. For FP2, He still wasn't a Priority, so they made a Deluxe Costume as kind of Fanservice to his Fans

I Look at Geno this way, if he is a Premium costume. If Geno was not able to be Prioritized over Min-Min, Steve, and Sephiroth, along with whoever the Next 3 Characters are, a Premium would at least be them trying to give the most Fanservice they can with Geno, if he's not gonna be Playable

However, You can feel as Disappointed as you want to. Alot of Fans Want Geno as Playable and Playable only, And I know Any form of Mii Costume is Disappointing for them. I do think though that it does Shows Nintendo and Sakurai does care about the Fans at the end of the day.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Geno getting costumed tomorrow would just be the cherry on the **** Sunday that is 2020. This year has already sucked not just because of what's going on in the world but in my personal life too. Honestly if I can get one good thing to happen before 2020 is over it would be geno dodging a mii costume and becoming a playable fighter.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This theory is going around and it actually makes sense. If this was the case, does this bode well for Geno in his chances if he avoids the mii costume treatment or would this be negative for him.
Interesting. My boi Goemon is out and possibly Bomberman is out if the Assist Trophy fan rule doesn't get broken. That only leaves Konami with Bill & Lance, Frogger, and Pyramid Head.

Heoj

Smash Ace
This theory is going around and it actually makes sense. If this was the case, does this bode well for Geno in his chances if he avoids the mii costume treatment or would this be negative for him.
I feel like this literally means nothing at all, unless you want to point towards that last slot going towards geno because rosalina is present

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Sega, Capcom, and Konami have always been the most liberal when it comes to how they're shown off in Smash, aside from SNK I guess. Mega Man, Sonic, Bayonetta, Snake, and Simon all show up in the World of Light trailer. This means literally nothing.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I don’t remember every trailer, but I distinctly remember Cloud, Sonic and Terry in Steve’s trailer.
They’re on about cgi, not actual in game footage. It’s basically saying that Nintendo hasn’t used characters that are 3rd party in any of their cgi cutscenes up until now which they used Konami, SEGA and Microsoft which to them gives the impression that 2 of the next reps are gonna be coming from Konami and SEGA and then we get a new third party rep.

I don’t buy into this but I thought it was interesting and worth bringing up since I’ve seen hardly anyone mention it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sakurai has never gone into it but the month of December is important to him for some reason. I made mention of this the other day:

So, just for some fun theorycraft, December has had a very long history of being important to Smash:

2001 - Melee release
2007 - Brawl's original planned release
2013 - Rosalina (first post E3 Newcomer)
2014- Japanese Smash 4 Wii U's release
2015- Cloud's release and the Final Smash 4 presentation
2018- Ultimate release and Joker
2019- Byleth's original planned release

So now we're in 2020 and the 2nd anniversary of Ultimate is on Monday. Does this necessarily mean anything? No but it is interesting to note. Except 2006 (which had Space World in November that year), they've made it a point to have December be a month of Smash announcements and/or releases for every year that Smash has been "active" since Melee.
Reviewing this, I realized something that I had completely overlooked. According to Imran Khan, Byleth was originally planned to be announced in November 2019 and released in December. Why is this important? "Sakurai Presents Byleth" would have been in December. What was the big announcement of that presentation aside from Byleth? The formal announcement of Season 2 and the fact that it would have 6 character packs. Now tomorrow is yet another December Sakurai Presents. As noted many times before, it's much later in the day than all but Banjo's presentation and we were given a week's notice on it. With the spirit event being announced last night, the odds of Sephiroth releasing this week aren't great so why all the irregularities? I guess we'll just have to see.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
There’s only one logical explanation following this logic, the next three characters are Geno (he’s Square AND Nintendo), Eggman (duh), and Bomberman (yes, he will be an AT, a Mii Costume, AND a fighter!). THERE’S NO OTHER POSSIBILITY

/s

MattX20

Smash Hero
Sakurai has never gone into it but the month of December is important to him for some reason. I made mention of this the other day:

Reviewing this, I realized something that I had completely overlooked. According to Imran Khan, Byleth was originally planned to be announced in November 2019 and released in December. Why is this important? "Sakurai Presents Byleth" would have been in December. What was the big announcement of that presentation aside from Byleth? The formal announcement of Season 2 and the fact that it would have 6 character packs. Now tomorrow is yet another December Sakurai Presents. As noted many times before, it's much later in the day than all but Banjo's presentation and we were given a week's notice on it. With the spirit event being announced last night, the odds of Sephiroth releasing this week aren't great so why all the irregularities? I guess we'll just have to see.
It's definitely a curious pattern

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This reminds me of when there was a tournament for characters with hats and people thought it deconfirmed Geno

Otoad64

Smash Lord

uh, the month of december is important to all game companies and developers, its when people are most likely to spend money!

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
uh, the month of december is important to all game companies and developers, its when people are most likely to spend money!
In the grand scheme of things, November is historically a much, much bigger deal of a month than December. Mario, Zelda, DK, Pokemon, etc. Smash is the only major Nintendo franchise that not only has consistent December announcements but game releases and DLC too.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I have the feeling that if FE Three Houses got a GOTY nomination last year, they will probably showed Byleth at TGA. Joker and Sephiroth are from games that got GOTY nominations (Persona 5 in 2017 and FFVII Remake this year).

AdamBel731

Smash Ace

In the grand scheme of things, November is historically a much, much bigger deal of a month than December. Mario, Zelda, DK, Pokemon, etc. Smash is the only major Nintendo franchise that not only has consistent December announcements but game releases and DLC too.
What are you implying/thinking could be shown? Not to put words into your mouth, but are you thinking a Vol. 3 could be announced or what?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What are you implying/thinking could be shown? Not to put words into your mouth, but are you thinking a Vol. 3 could be announced or what?
People really need to let go of there being a Season 3. Given how much time they've allotted for Season 2, it's pretty clear they want to put a bow on this game by 2022. All I'm saying is that the timing is right for a lot of things. It's December, it's the middle of the pass, etc. There's opportunity here. Both in the middle and end of Smash 4's DLC and the Fighter's Pass is when Sakurai showed his cards and made some of the biggest announcements of their respective games. It's a week from Christmas and we're approaching the end of a ****-tastic year for like 99% of the human population: the stage is perfectly set so let's see how the show goes, eh?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say, when does the live version Sakurai Presents American version for Sephiroth come up on Youtube?

Anyway, if Sakurai could not put Geno in at all, I bet he is just as upset as we are, and feels our pain.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
People really need to let go of there being a Season 3. Given how much time they've allotted for Season 2, it's pretty clear they want to put a bow on this game by 2022. All I'm saying is that the timing is right for a lot of things. It's December, it's the middle of the pass, etc. There's opportunity here. Both in the middle and end of Smash 4's DLC and the Fighter's Pass is when Sakurai showed his cards and made some of the biggest announcements of their respective games. It's a week from Christmas and we're approaching the end of a ****-tastic year for like 99% of the human population: the stage is perfectly set so let's see how the show goes, eh?
Agreed. If you look at Smash DLC, it scheduled for 3 years. That's a lot of support. As for FP2, needing 2 years for a projected completion is a long time. I personally don't see more DLC after 2022 ... but could there be some "non FP2 fighters" sprinkled in at some point? Maybe. Needing twice the time for just 1 extra character when comparing to the first FP1 seems long.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
if it's done by 2022, there's 100% not going to be a season 3 because i'm pretty sure the switch itself is passing the torch after 2023

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Me: "See this presentation?"

"DON'T SKIP IT! IT'S A MID-PASS PRESENTATION, YOU FOOLS!"

You all: "So, what will happen?"

Me: "That's just it... We don't know... Maaaaaaaaaaybe something bad... Maaaaaaaaaaybe something good... I guess we don't know yet... Cuz you're gonna watch it. You won't skip it, will you?"

"Heeh, heeh, heeh..."

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally I think the fact Fighter Pass 2 is going into 2021 is probably why there's no Fighter Pass 3

They might as well work on the Next Smash game so Smash could be a potential Launch title for a New console (if it's a Super Switch or entirely new), whether the game is Normal Smash Game, Reboot, or Port of Ultimate

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Personally I think the fact Fighter Pass 2 is going into 2021 is probably why there's no Fighter Pass 3

They might as well work on the Next Smash game so Smash could be a potential Launch title for a New console (if it's a Super Switch or entirely new), whether the game is Normal Smash Game, Reboot, or Port of Ultimate
Well the Switch upgrade is not going to replace the Switch but I will be curious to see how much it extends the Switch brand’s lifecycle. 2023 would be the logical time to pass the torch but who knows, maybe the Super Switch can keep the Switch brand going strong for a few more years. It’s not totally impossible, look how long the 3DS lasted and that started off much worse than the Switch...

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well the Switch upgrade is not going to replace the Switch but I will be curious to see how much it extends the Switch brand’s lifecycle. 2023 would be the logical time to pass the torch but who knows, maybe the Super Switch can keep the Switch brand going strong for a few more years. It’s not totally impossible, look how long the 3DS lasted and that started off much worse than the Switch...
Oh yeah, I don't think the Switch Upgrade, or Super Switch would replace the regular Switch

and that's something I wondered when talking a Ultimate Port of some kind. If the Port added more Content beyond what's already in the game, will they make it Some type of Paid DLC for Old Owners, so those that didn't buy DLC could buy the DLC in One Package, and those that did could get the Expansion benefits, or would they make it Exclusive to the port to perhaps make more of Incentive to purchase the Super Switch

There's alot of variables here, but it is an idea of some kind. yes

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
All depends with the Switch. From what they said some years ago, they want the Switch to have a longer than usual console life. So I can see like a "pro" version with better battery and better performance (better FPS and 1080 screen) but I think it'll be the same "platform."

With that being the case, I don't see any "jump" to a next Smash game for quite some time. Just the licensing alone would more than likely make the "next" smash less impressive than Ultimate. I think that is why there is so much being put into Ultimate and make it so big since it should "last" for awhile.

Who knows. The end is nigh.

Young Link.

Smash Apprentice
Smash is the only major Nintendo franchise that not only has consistent December announcements but game releases and DLC too
It's not consistent when there was nothing in December 2019.

And no please, don't start saying that just because a random person said Byleth was "supposed" to be in December it makes this a fact.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Me: "See this presentation?"

"DON'T SKIP IT! IT'S A MID-PASS PRESENTATION, YOU FOOLS!"

You all: "So, what will happen?"

Me: "That's just it... We don't know... Maaaaaaaaaaybe something bad... Maaaaaaaaaaybe something good... I guess we don't know yet... Cuz you're gonna watch it. You won't skip it, will you?"

"Heeh, heeh, heeh..."
You cheeky *****

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
All depends with the Switch. From what they said some years ago, they want the Switch to have a longer than usual console life. So I can see like a "pro" version with better battery and better performance (better FPS and 1080 screen) but I think it'll be the same "platform."

With that being the case, I don't see any "jump" to a next Smash game for quite some time. Just the licensing alone would more than likely make the "next" smash less impressive than Ultimate. I think that is why there is so much being put into Ultimate and make it so big since it should "last" for awhile.

Who knows. The end is nigh.
It certainly feels like with the amount of software Nintendo has pumped out, that they want the Switch to last longer than a normal console. Although as a counterpoint to that, there are a lot of Wii U ports that have beefed up their library...so who knows

D

Deleted member

It's not consistent when there was nothing in December 2019.

And no please, don't start saying that just because a random person said Byleth was "supposed" to be in December it makes this a fact.
Imran Kahn is no rando. He was the former senior editor at Game Informer. He knows his stuff and got connections in the industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom