• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Didn't Sakurai explicitly destroy the notion of "relevance" in one of his interviews? Or was it the Min Min presentation? And even if you want to argue that MODERN relevance is a key element of a character addition, that's the whole point of the argument concerning FP1 and 2. The fundamental question is, does Nintendo care more about pandering to the pop gamer culture and big money franchises or does it give a rat's ass about what the long-term fans have been begging them for for decades? So far, the only real proof of pandering to the legacy fanbase has been Banjo-Kazooie. That's 1 out of 7. Not exactly a statistic that screams "Geno" on the horizon. Granted, we still have 4 more DLC characters left, and I'll admit that pop gaming culture and big money franchises make STRATEGIC sense, but it still comes off as highly selfish and extremely tone deaf to the die hard Smash fans. That said, the lack of Mii costume after all this time is still a very good sign for Geno, and if we get at least one more vintage fanpick, I still think his chances are the best.
To my knowledge, he never did. Also, think about it for a single second. Revelancy means that more people know about a character, which also can make their game or series influence the industry on some scale, and also make people want them in Smash, including, you guessed it, or at least I hope you did, die-hard smash fans. Saying that revelancy doesn't matter is pretty much the worst take you can make in Smash speculation because of just how contradictory of everything it is. Also, Rex was very requested for base game despite how recent he was. Like I already said, revelancy isn't the end of all, legacy, fan-demand, who NIntendo is friend with, and what Nintendo whants to promote also matter for who gets in Smash, but revelancy is still an important factor because of how much it ties into all of the above 90% of the time.
He destroyed the concept of relevancy in his 45 minute nerd-out over Terry, but tide pods apparently destroy memory.
Aparently, a character who is the mascot of his company, still apearing in a video game series, with his archnemesis being a guest in Tekken 7, one of the most popular fighting game as of recently, while he and the games he appear in are still very popular in Asia, South America, and the middle East trough arcades, is as irrelevant as it gets.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To my knowledge, he never did. Also, think about it for a single second. Revelancy means that more people know about a character, which also can make their game or series influence the industry on some scale, and also make people want them in Smash, including, you guessed it, or at least I hope you did, die-hard smash fans. Saying that revelancy doesn't matter is pretty much the worst take you can make in Smash speculation because of just how contradictory of everything it is. Also, Rex was very requested for base game despite how recent he was. Like I already said, revelancy isn't the end of all, legacy, fan-demand, who NIntendo is friend with, and what Nintendo whants to promote also matter for who gets in Smash, but revelancy is still an important factor because of how much it ties into all of the above 90% of the time.

Aparently, a character who is the mascot of his company, still apearing in a video game series, with his archnemesis being a guest in Tekken 7, one of the most popular fighting game as of recently, while he and the games he appear in are still very popular in Asia, South America, and the middle East trough arcades, is as irrelevant as it gets.
EIschgzWoAAbKjp.jpeg

Just because Cool Spot was the mascot of 7-Up doesn't mean anyone knows who the hell he is. A huge chunk of the Smash fanbase had no idea who Terry was, and KoF isn't really the most popular fighter in the US, which I hate to let you in on this secret, but this community is full of burgers.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
View attachment 293948
Just because Cool Spot was the mascot of 7-Up doesn't mean anyone knows who the hell he is. A huge chunk of the Smash fanbase had no idea who Terry was, and KoF isn't really the most popular fighter in the US, which I hate to let you in on this secret, but this community is full of burgers.
I don't think that you know what "not just" means, and also while a big chunk of the sales of the game come from the USA, there's also another big chunk of the sales coming from other parts of the world.

Firox

Smash Master
Reading comprehension would do you a world of good. First of all, I never once said that relevancy (not "revelancy") didn't matter. Obviously, a character's recognizability is an important factor in generating sales. The issue is that you're confusing "relevance" with "recognizability". Is Byleth relevant? Absolutely, but nobody beyond Fire Emblem and Smash fandom would immediately look at their silhouette and say, "Oh joy! It's Byleth!" Let's not gaslight here and pretend like every casual and their mom knows all the Fire Emblem protagonists by name. Joker is another example of "relevant" but not necessarily recognizable in the sense that people who never played Persona 5 or Ultimate would instantly know the character's name or abilities just by seeing their picture. We often forget just how much being in Smash boosts a character's notoriety. Nobody in the States new who the hell Roy or Marth was until they magically appeared in Melee. Could you argue that they're relevant/recognizable now? Yeah, NOW they could be, but they weren't when they were added.

Now then, to clarify again, I'm not saying that relevance doesn't matter. I'm saying that when MODERN relevance, as in only recent pop culture tributes, are the primary focus of the DLC, it doesn't send a positive message to the fans that their wishes are being considered. For example, if the remainder of FP2 were to end up with:

8) Jonesy
9) Among Us Space Man
10) Fallguys Toddler
11) Ellie from The Last of Us

I would call some serious bull****. "Oh, but all of these are ReLeVaNt!" Sure, sure, but I don't think Nintendo could drop a bigger deuce on the fans' heads than this kind of garbage. This kind of a pass says, "Yeah, screw you nerds, I'm only interested in fast cash and a wave of casuals that'll disappear a week after each release." Strategically sound strategy? Absolutely. But again, this kind of mentality also says, "I'm a selfish prick and you're just a statistical sheep with a wallet." Mind you, I'm not arguing for entitlement. I'm fully prepared to get a pass that isn't tailored to me. That said, I've been a loyal fan for 20 years and have dumped hundreds of dollars into the franchise. I think that deserves at least a passing consideration.

DISCLAIMER: I obviously don't seriously think that FP2 would turn out like the example above. I'm just using that extreme as an example to illustrate my point.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Reading comprehension would do you a world of good. First of all, I never once said that relevancy (not "revelancy") didn't matter. Obviously, a character's recognizability is an important factor in generating sales. The issue is that you're confusing "relevance" with "recognizability". Is Byleth relevant? Absolutely, but nobody beyond Fire Emblem and Smash fandom would immediately look at their silhouette and say, "Oh joy! It's Byleth!" Let's not gaslight here and pretend like every casual and their mom knows all the Fire Emblem protagonists by name. Joker is another example of "relevant" but not necessarily recognizable in the sense that people who never played Persona 5 or Ultimate would instantly know the character's name or abilities just by seeing their picture. We often forget just how much being in Smash boosts a character's notoriety. Nobody in the States new who the hell Roy or Marth was until they magically appeared in Melee. Could you argue that they're relevant/recognizable now? Yeah, NOW they could be, but they weren't when they were added.

Now then, to clarify again, I'm not saying that relevance doesn't matter. I'm saying that when MODERN relevance, as in only recent pop culture tributes, are the primary focus of the DLC, it doesn't send a positive message to the fans that their wishes are being considered. For example, if the remainder of FP2 were to end up with:

8) Jonesy
9) Among Us Space Man
10) Fallguys Toddler

I would call some serious bull****. "Oh, but all of these are ReLeVaNt!" Sure, sure, but I don't think Nintendo could drop a bigger deuce on the fans' heads than this kind of garbage. This kind of a pass says, "Yeah, screw you nerds, I'm only interested in fast cash and a wave of casuals that'll disappear a week after each release." Strategically sound strategy? Absolutely. But again, this kind of mentality also says, "I'm a selfish prick and you're just a statistical sheep with a wallet." Mind you, I'm not arguing for entitlement. I'm fully prepared to get a pass that isn't tailored to me. That said, I've been a loyal fan for 20 years and have dumped hundreds of dollars into the franchise. I think that deserves at least a passing consideration.
You did not read the part where I said that it wasn't the only thing that matters, that's for sure.

Also I'm french, my english isn't perfect.

D

Deleted member

8) Jonesy
9) Among Us Space Man
10) Fallguys Toddler

After this clever retort:

I don't think that you know what "not just" means, and also while a big chunk of the sales of the game come from the USA, there's also another big chunk of the sales coming from other parts of the world.
I came to the conclusion that arguing with this guy is more destructive to brain cells than huffing lacquer thinner. Anyone who wants to make a genuine argument can look back at the history of Smash and see that it has added overwhelmingly irrelevant fan-pick characters who are recognizable. This trend of relevant nobodies is what we have a gripe with but it's much easier to strawman our argument as boomers yelling that new thing bad.

Firox

Smash Master
You did not read the part where I said that it wasn't the only thing that matters, that's for sure.

Also I'm french, my english isn't perfect.
I did read that part. But you assumed that I was arguing against relevance itself, which I'm not. I just wanted to clarify.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
FB_IMG_1606329958936.jpg

Are we STILL on Steve? Not a big fan of Minecraft but 1. it's the best selling game of all time and 2. it's the biggest indie success story of all time, bar none. Credit where credit is due. A pet-project into a video game juggernaut in less than a decade is pretty damn impressive no matter how you slice it. Whether you like the series or not, Steve's addition was warranted and it absolutely doesn't mean everything else in Season 2 will be "Zoomer" picks.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I did read that part. But you assumed that I was arguing against relevance itself, which I'm not. I just wanted to clarify.
Okay. I just had a long day.
After this clever retort:

I came to the conclusion that arguing with this guy is more destructive to brain cells than huffing lacquer thinner. Anyone who wants to make a genuine argument can look back at the history of Smash and see that it has added overwhelmingly irrelevant fan-pick characters who are recognizable. This trend of relevant nobodies is what we have a gripe with but it's much easier to strawman our argument as boomers yelling that new thing bad.
If you actualy looked at Smash's history, yuo would see that both irrelevant and relevant characters were added trough it's history.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Do remind how 3 out of 8 is half? Only other newcomers that help your argument is Incin isabelle and chrom. Smash has plenty of variety, in fact it's a very GOOD thing we are getting such recent additions. Smash is actually more heavily reliant on old characters, so think a bit more before you call for variety
Note that I said this current DLC, so bringing up base game characters Chrom, Isabelle and Incineroar is pointless to that topic. Also, Joker, Eleven (as he is the default Hero thus the primary DQ pick in Smash), Byleth, Min Min and Steve are more than 3 characters. And again, I focused on this DLC, not Smash in general adding older characters over the years.

So, please, when you request that I "think a bit more before you call for variety," perhaps you could read a bit more before responding.

Firox

Smash Master
View attachment 293949

Are we STILL on Steve? Not a big fan of Minecraft but 1. it's the best selling game of all time and 2. it's the biggest indie success story of all time, bar none. Credit where credit is due. A pet-project into a video game juggernaut in less than a decade is pretty damn impressive no matter how you slice it. Whether you like the series or not, Steve's addition was warranted and it absolutely doesn't mean everything else in Season 2 will be "Zoomer" picks.
For the record, we aren't really on Steve anymore, but rather the topic of whether Nintendo will prostitute the remainder of FP2 to pop gamer culture instead of fan picks regardless of age or perceived relevance. SPOILER ALERT: I honestly don't think they will. I sure as hell HOPE they don't, but we can't really dismiss the possibility given what we have so far.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Hey Genobros! I've been kinda on and off here as of late, and I definitely apologize for that. I just personally feel their hasn't been too much in terms to speculate about recently, but I'm still holding out for our boi and I still genuinely think he has a strong chance of happening.

In other news, its been quite some time since I've made a meme, so here ya go:
Funni Geno Meme.png

Also, happy 19th birthday to Melee.

D

Deleted member

Okay. I just had a long day.

If you actualy looked at Smash's history, yuo would see that both irrelevant and relevant characters were added trough it's history.
Perhaps you misunderstand, when I say overwhelmingly irrelevant fan request characters, I mean that the characters are overwhelmingly irrelevant, not that Smash has a roster overwhelmed by irrelevant characters for the majority of its history. Quite contrary, the majority of the roster is household names. Of the 69 non-echo characters in base Ultimate, I doubt I'd run out of fingers counting the fan requests that have actually made it in, but when they did make it in, they were irrelevant every ****ing time.

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
I feel like labeling certain characters "zoomer" characters is gatekeeping and against what Smash Bros is about. Smash has become a massive museum to gaming itself, and any character/series that gets included in some way, playable fighter, Mii, assist trophy, stage, music, etc. is somehow deserving, despite what certain fans think. Though if people see a character they haven't quite heard of before, but they like their presence in Smash, they could look them up and explore their origin. For example, how many of us got more interested in the Persona series once Joker was announced? I knew it was an established series but I didn't look into the games until after Joker's inclusion.

I never could quite understand how people could get salty about a character like Steve when Minecraft is pretty gigantic in its own right. Same could be said about Geno, there's plenty out there who don't know about him or would even troll Geno fans just out of spite, which I never could understand. I feel a majority of us are just happy to have Smash and celebrate how it can bring all these different fanbases together in one game. Smash is a place for fan favorites, mainstream successes, indie games, legends, and obscure retro characters (like Pit) to all be in the same place and celebrate.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Personally I think a mix of fan-catering and “relevant big bucks”/newer/household-name characters is the smartest strategy. You bring in new crowds while also making your current fanbase happy, since you can’t guarantee longtime fans will care about all the newer dudes even if some will due to overlap. Some longtime fan picks are still relevant, anyway.

For that reason, I think we could very likely see at least one or two more big fan picks in this pass, hopefully including Geno.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally I think a mix of fan-catering and “relevant big bucks”/newer/household-name characters is the smartest strategy. You bring in new crowds while also making your current fanbase happy, since you can’t guarantee longtime fans will care about all the newer dudes even if some will due to overlap. Some longtime fan picks are still relevant, anyway.

For that reason, I think we could very likely see at least one or two more big fan picks in this pass, hopefully including Geno.
Obviously we hope for some longtime fan picks but I think 1 out of 6 is disgraceful, regardless of who it is.

Firox

Smash Master

I agree that a balance of interests is a fair compromise. I certainly wouldn't be salty about the rest of the pass as long as a character like Geno still gets in. Why not make both parties happy?

Obviously we hope for some longtime fan picks but I think 1 out of 6 is disgraceful, regardless of who it is.
This is a fair sentiment to have as well. I don't see why a pass of 6 fighters couldn't be 3 fan picks and 3 "money" picks. The current ratio of about 1/6 being solid fan picks (ie: obvious Smash ballot-type picks) is pretty jacked up if you ask me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree that a balance of interests is a fair compromise. I certainly wouldn't be salty about the rest of the pass as long as a character like Geno still gets in. Why not make both parties happy?

This is a fair sentiment to have as well. I don't see why a pass of 6 fighters couldn't be 3 fan picks and 3 "money" picks. The current ratio of about 1/6 being solid fan picks (ie: obvious Smash ballot-type picks) is pretty jacked up if you ask me.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, as soon as I get Geno, I'm going to disappear like an appeased restless spirit, but I'm not the type to get what I want and ignore that there's a handful of other people who were pointlessly robbed. Considering that we have two giant reptiles, one of which Sakurai straight up said was impossible, asking for three or four humanoid characters doesn't seem like it's too much for everyone to be able to win, and it's endlessly frustrating that Nintendo would rather end Ultimate with there still being sad faces.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You guys are still annoyed with Steve? Just wait until the next fighter is Fortnite Jonesy.

View attachment 293951
You fool! That's how this all started!
What legitimacy does this jonesy in smash thing have?
The fact that we have to ask that is a sign of how far Smash has fallen. Steve is proof that video game icons are shoved aside to make way for the zoomer flavor of the month or whatever massive well known franchise will turn heads rather than supply any substance to a living museum of video game greatness. I don't know anything for certain but based on my feelings, there's legitimacy to any such rumor.
It seems way to early to assume what the entire Fighters Pass will be like (for example, all of the Fighters Pass 1 characters but the last one being third party, or people using Min Min's inclusion to assume that the second Fighters Pass will mainly be first party characters), so I don't see the point in jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah, don't get me wrong, as soon as I get Geno, I'm going to disappear like an appeased restless spirit
Lol This makes me imagine a scene from the Witcher...

(Geralt of Rivia climbs a small hill to an abandoned wishing well. As he approaches, the angry spirit of Serenade howls in disdain)

Villager: "Oh, mighty Witcher, what do we do? This vengeful spirit has tormented our village for almost twenty years!"

Geralt: "This geist cannot pass on to the next world until his thirst for this one is sated."

(He pulls a Geno doll from his saddle bag, tossing it into the well. As it plunks into the water, the spirit closes it eyes with a peaceful smile, vanishing silently into the twilight shadows)

Villager: "Huzzah! You've saved us!"

Bard: "♪ Toss a coin to your witcher, Oh valley of plenty...♫"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It seems way to early to assume what the entire Fighters Pass will be like (for example, all of the Fighters Pass 1 characters but the last one being third party, or people using Min Min's inclusion to assume that the second Fighters Pass will mainly be first party characters), so I don't see the point in jumping to conclusions.
If I go in assuming that we'll get nothing but Fortnite Jonesy, Spooky Pizza Bear and Sans Undertale upgraded to full playable character, then I'll be pleasantly surprised when we get actual video game characters.

Firox

Smash Master
If I go in assuming that we'll get nothing but Fortnite Jonesy, Spooky Pizza Bear and Sans Undertale upgraded to full playable character, then I'll be pleasantly surprised when we get actual video game characters.
ROFL A tiny bit cynical but the sarcasm is hilariously true. The moral of the story: You can't be disappointed if you didn't have expectations to begin with.
Still, I find it very reassuring to remember that our puppet boi is still in the running. He's made it this far without getting X'ed so we still have reason to hope. It ain't over 'til the fat crocodile sings.

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
Byleth, Joker, Min Min, Steve - all from the 2010s. That's 4 out of 7 which is the majority. Those of us who have been in the trenches for longer than these characters or their fans have existed are just wondering where Lloyd, Isaac and Geno are and why it's so much fun for Nintendo to smash our balls.
You're forgetting to count Plant. It still is far from an issue of these 4 characters being from the 2010s. Speaking as a 23 year old... yall really gotta get over yourselves. As much as I wanna support Geno or Lloyd, getting representation from modern times is anything but a bad thing. Modern characters is something smash could always use more of. Appealing to everyone is the point, and whining because you havent had every desire catered just to your liking... isnt it chief. Theres nothing wrong with Joker, Min Min, Byleth, or Steve who is actually 11 years old. It would've been worse had we not gotten these four.

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
Note that I said this current DLC, so bringing up base game characters Chrom, Isabelle and Incineroar is pointless to that topic. Also, Joker, Eleven (as he is the default Hero thus the primary DQ pick in Smash), Byleth, Min Min and Steve are more than 3 characters. And again, I focused on this DLC, not Smash in general adding older characters over the years.

So, please, when you request that I "think a bit more before you call for variety," perhaps you could read a bit more before responding.
I have no need to read more. My only mistake is forgetting Joker. Bringing up base game newcomers is most certainly not pointless. The variety is clearly here, and you're whining about the most inconsequential thing. Having modern characters is a good thing. Dragon quest is over 30 years old, fire emblem isnt far behind, and persona has existed for years not to mention SMT. The characters may be young but the representation is far from it. Only dlc fighter that is from a recent IP is Min Min, being the only one younger than ten years old.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I have no need to read more. My only mistake is forgetting Joker. Bringing up base game newcomers is most certainly not pointless.
So it's apparently irrelevant that Sakurai was making virtually all character decisions for base game (including Piranha Plant) and that corporate Nintendo is making all major decisions for DLC? You do realize that corporate Nintendo makes decisions based on agendas and profit margin while Sakurai takes more of an "artist" role in his decision making, right? Must be refreshing for people to bask in their own ignorance.

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
Warned for trolling
So it's apparently irrelevant that Sakurai was making virtually all character decisions for base game (including Piranha Plant) and that corporate Nintendo is making all major decisions for DLC? You do realize that corporate Nintendo makes decisions based on agendas and profit margin while Sakurai takes more of an "artist" role in his decision making, right? Must be refreshing for people to bask in their own ignorance.

How about we 1 stop sucking Sakurai's ****, and 2 stop making me out to be ignorant when I'm clearly not. It doesnt matter who makes what choices. At the end of the day we dont know who chose what. And Plant is DLC, he isnt a base game fighter even if people say he was meant for base game. He was meant to be a early bonus that is paid DLC after the window.

Firox

Smash Master
How about we 1 stop sucking Sakurai's ****, and 2 stop making me out to be ignorant when I'm clearly not. It doesnt matter who makes what choices. At the end of the day we dont know who chose what. And Plant is DLC, he isnt a base game fighter even if people say he was meant for base game. He was meant to be a early bonus that is paid DLC after the window.
1) Nobody here is sucking anyone's genitals. Stop projecting your perversion on people.

2) When someone refuses to apply known facts to their opinions or arguments, they come off as ignorant. FACT: Sakurai is director of Super Smash bros and didn't explicitly state that corporate Nintendo had taken over character decision making until the DLC packs were introduced. Piranha Plant was far into development before the base game was released, hence Sakurai had primary responsibility for his inclusion. If you choose to reject these facts, you make yourself look ignorant. No one needs to help you with that.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Imagine gatekeeping kids out of a party fighting game

I may not get my Layton or Sora or Pheonix or Ammy and yeah, ill be sad af but at least someone can be happy
I personally believe level 5’s probably getting a rep somewhere in this pass. I mean cmon, it’s level 5. They’re like the only big company left that’s been huge for Nintendo and not gotten a rep yet in smash.

The fact that they’ve been struggling for ages and shut down level 5 America only just recently means they’ve had to have been getting the money from somewhere or someone. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo got a level 5 rep on the cheap or at least cheaper than the other reps in this pass due to the whole situation going on with them.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
There really is no telling how much control Sakurai has over the game, whether that be base or DLC.
Some of the speculation on this thread definitely tends to mix assumptions/theory and actual truth.

For instance the whole Piranha plant thing is based on theory. Sure there are some clues that point to the conclusion that the character was treated more like a base roster character versus dlc, but at the end of the day this has not been confirmed. For all we know the original direction of how DLC characters could have just changed somewhere down the road.

Either way both you and PK Duststorm have valid points, I wouldn't consider any of them derived from ignorance. Overall I do agree with PK Duststorm in the sense that speculate all you want, but no one is 100% certain why particular characters are picked and by whom.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, just for some fun theorycraft, December has had a very long history of being important to Smash:

2001 - Melee release
2007 - Brawl's original planned release
2013 - Rosalina (first post E3 Newcomer)
2014- Japanese Smash 4 Wii U's release
2015- Cloud's release and the Final Smash 4 presentation
2018- Ultimate release and Joker
2019- Byleth's original planned release

So now we're in 2020 and the 2nd anniversary of Ultimate is on Monday. Does this necessarily mean anything? No but it is interesting to note. Except 2006 (which had Space World in November that year), they've made it a point to have December be a month of Smash announcements and/or releases for every year that Smash has been "active" since Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom