• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Potential false alarm.

Did some research and cross-referenced with others who did research as well, and it seems the initial report was more CNN than Washington Post. Definitely not Epoch Times.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I don't think I can transfer a Java map to bedrock edition game. Besides the newer updates mess up the map.
Don't know what you mean by mess up the map but it is possible to transfer from Java to Bedrock and I can DM a link to an explanation if you'd like that.
Potential false alarm.

Did some research and cross-referenced with others who did research as well, and it seems the initial report was more CNN than Washington Post. Definitely not Epoch Times.
I don't even know what we're talking about and I'm already disappointed lol

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm not really at liberty to say, but let's just say false information got out about a character and I cheekily posted about in reference to it moments before learning about how unreliable it was, and to save certain people I will leave it up to them if they want to say more.
I see. Still, I would like to know what exactly it was. Anyone else willing to tell?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It will be fascinating to compare this year to both 2019 and 2021 when it comes to Smash. While the former continued 2018's pattern of feeing like a hype year with a real momentum, 2020 just can't help but seem a little underwhelming (and that might get amplified depending on what we get next year). Min Min & Steve were interesting but weren't really sentimental picks to me, and Byleth's showcase was essentially anticlimactic in how badly the presentation was done.

I think that's one of the reasons I've got my eye set on January, it would effectively put a bow on a rather frustrating 12 months (for numerous reasons) and potentially get the personal hype going for the game again (assuming its a cool choice for fighter 8)

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Tbh looking towards next year, it's certainly gonna be much better than this yrar. A tonne of titles were probably pushed, Zelda's anniversary is next year as is Pokemon's and we are going to get the next 4 next year. I say next 4 because as much as optimism is a good trait to have, it's kind of been getting to a point where it's been said that 'we shouldn't count out next week for 8' rinse and repeat ignoring all the facts and just doing so for the sake of fitting a certain narrative. Not trying to be rude but that is kind of what it has been. At that point we should just try to be more impartial.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've spent the last week recreating the map I've had in minecraft since Beta 1.8 in Minecraft Switch version so I have no doubt minecraft is iconic
This is one of those things where I hope I don't come off as hating Minecraft or thinking it isn't an iconic, dare I say "generation defining" game. I've spent an embarrassing amount of time playing Minecraft with my wife and friends this year, the past two months especially. I have a great time with the game and I just have a particular feel about Steve being an icon as much as he is just a face to apply to the nebulous concept of Minecraft so you can staple it into Smash like Kammy Koopa was taped into the Paper Mario opening for the love of appealing to an audience that won't give a **** in a few months' time.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This is one of those things where I hope I don't come off as hating Minecraft or thinking it isn't an iconic, dare I say "generation defining" game. I've spent an embarrassing amount of time playing Minecraft with my wife and friends this year, the past two months especially. I have a great time with the game and I just have a particular feel about Steve being an icon as much as he is just a face to apply to the nebulous concept of Minecraft so you can staple it into Smash like Kammy Koopa was taped into the Paper Mario opening for the love of appealing to an audience that won't give a **** in a few months' time.
If you're implying no one really cares about Steve and won't care it was him specifically in a few months, I can assure you there would've been people very disappointed in Steve not being the default character in Smash, even if they were still happy about Minecraft being in. If no one cared about him then there wouldn't be the stuff I already mentioned before, with the amount of it making it hard to believe it's a small amount of people caring about him. And if people really didn't care in the context of Smash, they would've just asked for Minecraft specifically, not Steve and Alex (with many specifically wanting Steve as the first alt).

Maybe it's hard to undestand people caring about a character without much of his own identity besides name, appearance, and a little bit more in a Lego Club magazine (assuming it's canon), but people just do. Like caring about a random toy of no specific character you've had for a long time, I guess. People just like the design, his name, and whatever little else they can find, while maybe even having their own interpretation, and so they just fall in love anyway.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
I would be warry of rumors by a lot of people this time around, even by a bit more well-known figures, TGA is near and therefore that creates a lot of confusion due to bad sources.

Don't bother with rumors or leaks from most people besides NateDrake, Jeff, Imran, and Zhuge at this time really, just for your own sanity.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, either way, Geno should still be coming. Maybe he is next.

By the way, attention: Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , please send me a PM. I want to talk to you about something.

Reactions: QQS
D

Deleted member

If you're implying no one really cares about Steve and won't care it was him specifically in a few months, I can assure you there would've been people very disappointed in Steve not being the default character in Smash, even if they were still happy about Minecraft being in. If no one cared about him then there wouldn't be the stuff I already mentioned before, with the amount of it making it hard to believe it's a small amount of people caring about him. And if people really didn't care in the context of Smash, they would've just asked for Minecraft specifically, not Steve and Alex (with many specifically wanting Steve as the first alt).

Maybe it's hard to undestand people caring about a character without much of his own identity besides name, appearance, and a little bit more in a Lego Club magazine (assuming it's canon), but people just do. Like caring about a random toy of no specific character you've had for a long time, I guess. People just like the design, his name, and whatever little else they can find, while maybe even having their own interpretation, and so they just fall in love anyway.
I make my living being misunderstood on message boards, clearly. My assertion wasn't that the real fans of Steve are gonna forget about him, it was that if they're just trying to divert eyes to Smash using popular characters, they'll make short term money (probably) but not make longtime fans.

If Rivals of Aether and Slap City and Brawlhalla and whatever else has proven anything, it's that no one gives a lukewarm damn about platform fighters no matter what indie darling you shove into it. If Nintendo's plan is to make a mugen roster without pandering to their fans a little more than once per game I wonder how long term successful it'll be.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I make my living being misunderstood on message boards, clearly. My assertion wasn't that the real fans of Steve are gonna forget about him, it was that if they're just trying to divert eyes to Smash using popular characters, they'll make short term money (probably) but not make longtime fans.

If Rivals of Aether and Slap City and Brawlhalla and whatever else has proven anything, it's that no one gives a lukewarm damn about platform fighters no matter what indie darling you shove into it. If Nintendo's plan is to make a mugen roster without pandering to their fans a little more than once per game I wonder how long term successful it'll be.
Oh, okay, I see what you mean now.

yeah tbh I agree with that; while fanbases of certain characters may have at least some overlap with Smash, they can't expect to be able to definitely rely on outside people who don't already care about Smash for the longterm, so it would be smart to cater to their current fanbase some more as well; they're the ones who've stuck around and could leave if they're feeling neglected.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, okay, I see what you mean now.

yeah tbh I agree with that; while fanbases of certain characters may have at least some overlap with Smash, they can't expect to be able to definitely rely on outside people who don't already care about Smash for the longterm, so it would be smart to cater to their current fanbase some more as well; they're the ones who've stuck around and could leave if they're feeling neglected.
It took half a decade of Pokemon being Nintendo's Call of Duty to get fans to start really taking to the streets over a shoddy game, and when they took to the streets they also stopped by Gamestop and grabbed a copy of Sword and Shield. Nintendo can bend their fans over a barrel and they'll come back more often than not, I'm guilty of about as much myself.

I appreciate your taking the time to understand where I'm coming from.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Jesus man, get over it already.

Steve isn't indie anymore and hasn't been for years.

He's the face of the current most successful game across the globe and anyone who knows a lick about gaming knows what Minecraft is.

He's not flavor of the month, he's a titan for ten years that games like Apex, Fortnite, Fall Guys and Among Us will never be able to ever get even remotely close to touching. It was so successful back in the day that YouTube essentially went Code Red and started making it so Minecraft content would get butchered just so other content had a ****ing chance.

It's a game that has continued to sell well and take over the globe and be the best for the better of a decade just by being a game with lots of individual potential for creativity, and where as games like Apex and Fortnite need constant new content to shovel money into the rainbow-puking faces of elementary school children, Minecraft appeals to everyone, of all ages, all over the globe with very little in terms of additions in comparison.

No Season Passes, no ridiculous crossovers, and no stupid dances. Just quality content and a blocky world that is your blocky oyster.

As someone who used to **** ALL OVER Minecraft just like I do these other games that are actually flavor of the month, I stopped because I embraced what it had turned into. Minecraft earned it's place much unlike these games that are no better than injections of cocaine straight into the vein, Steve had a massive amount of fans requesting him in Smash, and it happened and I'd say the yays outweigh the nays.

Also, it seems you forgot how to count, because the majority of the newcomers in Ultimate have pandered to the target audiences of Smash, with very few who are complete shills or to attract the casual public crowd to Smash more than it already does. What you also don't understand is that AAA quality is much different than indie quality.

Having an official AAA platform fighter with crazy crossover picks is EXACTLY what people want, and let me tell ya, the list of hardcore picks ends at some point. I know it looks like we keep finding more, but the truth is the real list of hardcore picks is very short and we've written in additions over the years as our wishes are granted. Picking more recent and popular characters is inevitable, but Sakurai will still play things straight to create a balance between casual popularity and Smash popularity as he has for years.

Come back to me when Fortnite gets what Minecraft got and THEN you can complain and believe me, I'll already have a giant-ass post in the works myself in that event. Minecraft ain't the hill to die on nor the battle to choose, it's earned it's stars.

Last edited:

Kritter

Smash Cadet
In hindsight, it probably makes sense that Nintendo wouldn't have a character reveal or Direct during a major holiday sale. That ends tonight, so maybe something tomorrow?

Reactions: QQS

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
The fact that we have to ask that is a sign of how far Smash has fallen. Steve is proof that video game icons are shoved aside to make way for the zoomer flavor of the month or whatever massive well known franchise will turn heads rather than supply any substance to a living museum of video game greatness. I don't know anything for certain but based on my feelings, there's legitimacy to any such rumor.
Minecraft is an empire of a franchise that radically changed the landscape of content creation as we know it and has been around long enough to be a nostalgic game for the generation going ahead.

It's by no stretch of the means "flavor of the month", it has more than earned its spot in the 'living museum of video game greatness' as you put it.

Now Corrin and Byleth? Those two were absolutely flavor of the month picks when they got in. I know you're still upset Steve got in, but you honestly need to just get over it already. You're the one who goes on and on about how we should stop letting personal bias guide our thoughts and only focus on objective fact, yet you're letting your own bias get in the way of seeing that Minecraft and Steve were both a legitimate request and a series that has built the legacy to earn a spot in the roster

Hell I say this as someone who rooted AGAINST Steve a year ago and someone who was bullied and harassed by Steve fans. Call Steve a 'zoomer' pick if you want, but here's a newsflash: Smash isn't just for you, it's for everyone, young AND old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom