• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I've always loved the idea of basing the alt costumes on different types of real world wood.

Also, Choctopus just posted a DLC predictions video and it somewhat resembles @Fatmanonice's predictions:
This is basically my predictions instead Lloyd or Rex instead of Dante. No offense to any Dante supporters, but I honestly feel like his chances are overexaggerated a bit. That's not to say he doesn't have a chance, but I don't see him as the likeliest, or close to that for that matter.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The time has past for a game focused direct.
They always do Game focused directs, at least, a month before release... we're 2 weeks from release.
The Wii U Hyrule Warriors direct was in Mid-August... the game then released in late September.
Yea, that's relatively consistent actually. Looking over the past few years the only real exception was the Splatoon 2 Direct which was released 15 days before it's release, but like, we're already less than 2 weeks away. You would think that, I don't know, if they had a direct for it planned they wouldn't have had it as part of their Partner Showcase a week and a half ago? That they would have saved the Demo to release alongside the direct? I just don't see them doing one for it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've always loved the idea of basing the alt costumes on different types of real world wood.

Also, Choctopus just posted a DLC predictions video and it somewhat resembles @Fatmanonice's predictions:
My predictions are surprisingly similar to this, though I figure that we'll get a Nintendo character rather than having the rest of the pass being purely third party. (I'm guessing a Zelda one, since next year's Zelda's 35th anniversary and it's been twenty years since we got a new unique Zelda character in Smash) I wouldn't say no to Crash in Smash, though.

MattX20

Smash Hero
My predictions are surprisingly similar to this, though I figure that we'll get a Nintendo character rather than having the rest of the pass being purely third party. (I'm guessing a Zelda one, since next year's Zelda's 35th anniversary and it's been twenty years since we got a new unique Zelda character in Smash) I wouldn't say no to Crash in Smash, though.
I'm of the opposite opinion that we're not getting another purely first party pick since Min Min already fills that quota. That, and with Geno, he technically counts as both 3rd party and 1st party because he's a Mario character.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Post-Steve.png
I more or less agree minus Ryu, I've said before I think he has a decent amount of points going against him. I'm still stuck without a solid last pick though, I feel like most speculation over the past year has centralized over about 10-15 characters people actually view as likely at this point, and while I'm pretty rock solid on three of them none of the rest feel right. At the very least I don't think we are getting another Nintendo pack unless they decide to shill something again, or they save Waluigi for last.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, what do you guys think will happen next week? A regular Direct (or something like that), a Smash reveal or a new Hyrule Warriors Direct?

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
So, what do you guys think will happen next week? A regular Direct (or something like that), a Smash reveal or a new Hyrule Warriors Direct?
I'm going to say none of the above. Not that I think nothing is happening or that anything you mentioned is impossible. I'm expecting something new, but probably not something big like AoC.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Yeah. I think my predictions for the rest of the 4, are Geno, Rex, Crash, and Impa(with Age of Calamity moves)

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord

I just rolled my eyes when he put Geno last. I will bet literally hundreds of dollars that Geno isn’t going to be the 11th character. PapaGenos always makes a similar prediction and it annoys me to no end. It’s like absolutely no one learned from Byleth. They aren’t making a fan requested third party the last character and that’s that.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I just rolled my eyes when he put Geno last. I will bet literally hundreds of dollars that Geno isn’t going to be the 11th character. PapaGenos always makes a similar prediction and it annoys me to no end. It’s like absolutely no one learned from Byleth. They aren’t making a fan requested third party the last character and that’s that.
At the absolute latest, I can't see Geno being any later than FP9

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Same here. In all honesty I’m with the Seven theory that Geno was going to be 77 and revealed at E3 this year, but because of the circumstances Steve got bumped up. And Geno swapped places. I say Impa is going to be the traditional “cool down” final reveal.

I also see Sakurai going for a mix for these characters. I say Geno will be the gunner character, Crash the mascot, Rex because he would’ve been in if Xenoblade 2 would’ve come out sooner, and Impa to give Zelda a well deserved new character. And it really covers Calamity era for Zelda.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I have to agree. Despite me seeing Geno as a possible choice, the mere idea of him being the last Fighter for me is completely absurd.

The last character will NOT be a HYPE inducing announcement. It will either be met with confusion or end with a whimper.

Someone like Geno is likely to be announced next or at least 9, but i can't see Geno being the penultimate or last character reveal, no sir.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well it depends

On the One hand Geno would be a Big Character for People that Love Smash Bros and the SNES Library, and Putting Characters that Massivly appeal to the Demographic already playing the game is important

On the Other hand, one could say Min-Min and Steve might already do that. Granted in the Case of Steve he appeals to pretty much everyone, but yes. Min-Min might have also had a "Shilling" effect of Promoting the ARMS Franchise as a Whole, though I do wonder if Nintendo and Sakurai might have thought that an ARMS Character was a very requested character, since Pre-Release Spring Man was heavily discussed, and they went with the mor epopular option in Min-Min in FP2

Beyond that though Geno Isn't from a New Franchise (and is from a Franchise that already has 9 Characters), and Casual Fans that don't really keep heavily with Smash won't know who he is, or keep him heavily in mind. SMRPG has been re-released on Wii Cirtual Console and on SNES Classic, so the game Geno comes from isn't stuck in the past, but it's something to consider

Also While The last character usually isn't the most hype, That doesn't mean they are automatically underwhelming. Bayonetta was the last character of Smash 4 and She was No Mewtwo, Ryu or Especially Cloud, However she still was a Popular Request in her own right and was exciting addition. I don't think she won the ballot overall, But she probably did good in it in some fashion.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Been a while since I last posted here.

Due to real world stuff, 2020 is actually ending pretty good for me now so getting Geno in Smash by the end of this year would be icing on the cake. Never give up, everybody, Geno is definitely in! I don't think he'll be #81, #78 and #79 are the most likely slots IMO.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Yeah I never got the idea that Ultimate is gonna end big, let alone end with Geno. I feel like Geno has much higher chances of happening as either FP8, FP9 and FP10. Either way, even if he isn't 8, 9 or 10, I wholeheartedly expect Geno to show up in this Pass, whether he's the very next character or the very last character.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Idk I could see Geno being last, unless he’s tied to something else. People have a tendency to say that smash reveals have never ended on anything big, but that’s just all bias talking. Could have swore smash 4 ended on Bayonetta and honestly to me that’s a pretty big deal.

Geno does seem like he would be more for the hard core smash crowd. And those types are gonna spend money on the series regardless, so Nintendo might as well keep the momentum of new sales going with more well known/ mainstream choices for DLC.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Whew, it's been quite awhile coming back on here! May or may not have been doing some stressing, drinking, and other forms of nerve calming regarding stuff happening U.S. side. What did I miss? Any more hint drops of Geno? Any guesstimations on the next Smash reveal? etc.?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Whew, it's been quite awhile coming back on here! May or may not have been doing some stressing, drinking, and other forms of nerve calming regarding stuff happening U.S. side. What did I miss? Any more hint drops of Geno? Any guesstimations on the next Smash reveal? etc.?
Aside from the general anticipation of SOMETHING likely happening in the next week or two not really. We'll see if Nintendo decides to drop something to compete with the next-gen console launches or if they decide to wait until the week after to avoid getting overshadowed.

Reactions: TTF

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
It’s like absolutely no one learned from Byleth. They aren’t making a fan requested third party the last character and that’s that.
I mean tbf even if we didn't get Fighter Pass 2 Smash Ultimate still wouldn't have ended on Byleth, because they were planning on adding bonus characters after Pass 1 was done.

For all we know, Ultimate could have ended on someone like Steve, which was especially likely given the 5 years of discussions for him and the leaks from Vergeben.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
I mean tbf even if we didn't get Fighter Pass 2 Smash Ultimate still wouldn't have ended on Byleth, because they were planning on adding bonus characters after Pass 1 was done.

For all we know, Ultimate could have ended on someone like Steve, which was especially likely given the 5 years of discussions for him and the leaks from Vergeben.
IMHO Porky would be kinda fitting for #81.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
IMHO Porky would be kinda fitting for #81.
Porky being missing is probably one of the biggest anomalies in Ultimate. Aside from being one of the most important characters in the Earthbound series, he was a boss in Brawl, and is the only Brawl boss to not have a spirit. I mean, even ****ing Duon has a spirit.

But enough on that lol, I'm getting way off topic.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Idk I could see Geno being last, unless he’s tied to something else. People have a tendency to say that smash reveals have never ended on anything big, but that’s just all bias talking. Could have swore smash 4 ended on Bayonetta and honestly to me that’s a pretty big deal.

Geno does seem like he would be more for the hard core smash crowd. And those types are gonna spend money on the series regardless, so Nintendo might as well keep the momentum of new sales going with more well known/ mainstream choices for DLC.
Bayonetta's inclusion was great (at least in my eyes - I don't particularly follow the competitive scene, but Bayonetta 2 was one of the reasons why I bought a Wii U), but that seems like an outlier since she was added due to the Smash Ballot.

In other cases, we've ended off with (I don't know the order that the original game's secret characters were revealed in) Mr. Game & Watch, Wolf, Duck Hunt (for Smash 4's base game), Incineroar (for Ultimate's base game), and Byleth (for Fighters Pass 1). There are some good characters in there, but they aren't as exciting as the likes of Bowser, Sonic, Mega Man, Ridley, or Banjo and Kazooie. Smash's reveals seem pretty front-loaded, with Ultimate (or at least Ultimate's base game) especially falling into that category. (I guess they had all of the big reveals early in case the game leaked like what happened with the 3DS version)

Maybe Geno could be saved for last, though I doubt it. (And I hope not - I don't want to wait until the end of 2021 for him to be confirmed)

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord

uhh...no. There’s no way Ultimate would ever end on Steve. That’s like, the worst business decision Nintendo could ever make. very naive take.

I don’t see why people don’t understand why character reveals are frontloaded. They want to adopt buyers early. It’s the most basic of business decisions. They have absolutely nothing to lose by putting a character like Byleth last because they know a majority of folks have invested in the pass already. Again, it’s the most basic of business strategies, and it’s been a recurring theme since Smash 64

64 - Ness, Jigglypuff
Melee - Game and Watch
Brawl - Wolf (whether you like him or not nowadays, he was basically Brawl’s Incineroar at the time.)
Smash 4 - Duck Hunt, Bayonetta
Ultimate - Incineroar, Byleth, ???

they are never going to put a character like Megaman, Banjo, Steve, Ridley, King K. Rool, etc. in the final slot, fighter pack, base game, or otherwise.

Bayonetta's inclusion was great (at least in my eyes - I don't particularly follow the competitive scene, but Bayonetta 2 was one of the reasons why I bought a Wii U), but that seems like an outlier since she was added due to the Smash Ballot.
that’s not true. She wasn’t added due to the Smash Ballot. The ballot was entirely for ultimate.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
uhh...no. There’s no way Ultimate would ever end on Steve. That’s like, the worst business decision Nintendo could ever make. very naive take.

I don’t see why people don’t understand why character reveals are frontloaded. They want to adopt buyers early. It’s the most basic of business.

that’s not true. She wasn’t added due to the Smash Ballot. The ballot was entirely for ultimate.

Exactly, the pass needed a big name to sell it. I'm not sure how much sales for the second Fighter Pass have increased, but I doubt Steve would've made them go down

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Also, I think it is important to point out and acknowledge that right after the Smash Ballot, we started seeing a lot of popular requests from the Brawl days turned into Mii costumes. KRool, Geno, etc. I don’t think that’s a coincidence at all.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Also, I think it is important to point out and acknowledge that right after the Smash Ballot, we started seeing a lot of popular requests from the Brawl days turned into Mii costumes. KRool, Geno, etc. I don’t think that’s a coincidence at all.
And Geno and Lloyd are speculation frontrunners right now given that their Mii Costumes still haven't returned 7 waves in

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord

I don’t see why people don’t understand why character reveals are frontloaded. They want to adopt buyers early. It’s the most basic of business decisions. They have absolutely nothing to lose by putting a character like Byleth last because they know a majority of folks have invested in the pass already. Again, it’s the most basic of business strategies, and it’s been a recurring theme since Smash 64

64 - Ness, Jigglypuff
Melee - Game and Watch
Brawl - Wolf (whether you like him or not nowadays, he was basically Brawl’s Incineroar at the time.)
Smash 4 - Duck Hunt, Bayonetta
Ultimate - Incineroar, Byleth, ???

they are never going to put a character like Megaman, Banjo, Steve, Ridley, King K. Rool, etc. in the final slot, fighter pack, base game, or otherwise.

Fair enough. I guess this would still mean the game at least wouldn't have ended on Byleth.

Also, 64, Melee and Brawl didn't really "end" on any one character because they didn't reveal all the characters before the games released. For the latter two you could just as easily say they ended on Mewtwo and Lucario, who were very popular characters at the time they released.

I just want to say that I don't think Geno would be last, but I also don't think it's impossible. Like it or not, he isn't as popular as characters like K. Rool or Banjo or Cloud. For a lot of people Geno would be on the level of someone like Bayonetta or Duck Hunt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom