• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
As for Geno's costume coming back with someone else from Square, it could happen if there was another contender. Fortunately for us, there is no Square rep more requested or popular than Geno right now outside of Sora, and he got canned for this pass and possibly just for Ultimate in general. No single other Square rep is as talked about or as requested as our boy, not even Lara Croft or Sephiroth can top him, so if anything one of THEM will come as a costume with Geno. Also, no, a premium costume is not possible for Geno despite what @papagenos may say to keep the Geno detractors away from his house so he can sleep at night. You don't wait this long on a character you know is highly demanded just to show a premium costume that you would have already had ready during the first Fighter's Pass since it would have been negotiated for when they negotiated for the rights for Geno and Mallow's likeness and to mention Mega/Smilax and Chewie. If anything, we would have gotten the old costume back with Hero or in another grabbag costume wave and it hasn't happened.
You know i have to agree on this. Aside from Lara, who i don't see likely due to Western Reps beign quite uncommon (i lean towards Crash for the next one..........assuming there is a next one) none of the supposed competition for Geno stands a chance in my eyes, wheter be because of the circumstances or even merits.

I personally don't see 2B happening because Derkeingrand and Nier have literally never touched anything Nintendo related to my knowledge (not even an obscure 3DS Handheld Spin-off, so people can't go like "BUT 2B APPEARED IN NIER AUTOMATA Q CHAIN OF MEMORIES" or something like that) and people try to push her as the next Joker.........which cleary isn't happening at this point.

Neku im not sure why people push him as a likely rep. TWEWY was basically dead for over a decade aside from that mobile port and cameo in KH3D, and the Switch port kind of came and went, aside of the anime i don't think they are doing a lot with this franchise. and yes i know the rumors of TWEWY 2: Joshua's Stake House, but seeing how ****ing long Square takes to develop most games im sure we are not seeing that until Fatman's Granchildren get Grandchildren, it's a non-argument for the time beign.

................why are people considering Crono? The series has done jack **** for over a decade and it makes me question if Square even remembers what Chrono is, i mean it didn't even show up in the SNES Classic while Final Fantasy, SMRPG (surprise) and Secret of Mana did, so it's not even that ported. It seems hypocritical some people put down Geno for beign a one-shot SNES character........................while also Supporting a one-shot SNES character. I mean he's cool, but he seems to be a thing of the past, and doesn't have the cult demand that Geno has for Smash.

I don't see another FF rep happening. Square seems to be satisfied with FF's current representation and i don't see them shilling for the FF7Remake with a Smash Newcomer when they already have their major star in the base roster. It seems people only want it so to have an excuse to add more Spirits and Music for FF.

and Gex..........................um.............Gex Night anyone?

Yeah i don't see anyone but Geno or Sora for this Pass, and at least with Geno you don't have to deal with the Mouse so i think he's a little more likely. Keep in mind im not even talking about just Fan Requests, since we have gotten characters for other reasons than beign requested by the hardcore Smash community, but even outside of those reason most of those seem like far fetched ideas than actual likely candidates.

Of course, im biased towards Geno on this one, so maybe im missing some different angle here.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The way I see it, while it's definitely true other Square characters have a broader appeal than Geno, especially for younger audiences, the impact of Geno would greatly outclass all of them. I mean, can you really see Crono or Sepiroth making the same waves as him?

Sora is the only one I can see feasibly having as much of an impact but for reasons I doubt I have to mention I don't think he's happening.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
The fact that we got a feasible amount of Dragon Quest content and original artwork for their fighter spirits is a miracle.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I said I'd drop it, but seeing as people are still replying.
lol wut?
Yeah MH is heavily requested in Japan for sure, but in no way it's above of Sora lol, you clearly haven't kept up with the demand of that character, specially worldwide and not just Japan. I will agree any day now that MH is heavily requested, but that statement is just BS lol.
You read my post wrong, I said MH has consistently been super requested, and one of (if not the most requested) characters from there, barring the likes of Sora (meaning that Sora is more requested then MH is). It's mostly just implicit, it's huge in casual circles and pretty much gets posted about a ton in speculation scenes in Japanese twitter/NicoNico/and other places of the like where Smash discussion is popular (AKA the jp chans). It was big before the likes of RISE, but became even bigger afterwards.

I don't really want to stir the pot more, but discussions for the Hunter definitely happened during base game. Do you not find it odd that Rathalos is literally the only boss in Ultimate to not have a fighter accompanying it? How about the files for the Monster Hunter music being listed alongside series that have a playable fighter?

As one of Capcom's most successful series (especially in Japan) and one that has a strong connection to Nintendo, it's a no-brainer that they would want to include it. So why isn't the Hunter in Smash? The MH dev team likely wasn't satisfied with the concept, and there's plenty of precedence to support that the dev team is really particular in how the series is portrayed in crossovers. So, we just ended up with Rathalos as a boss.

So no, the Hunter isn't happening, unless Nintendo really wants the Hunter in Smash, approached the MH team again, and they just so happened to change their minds.
I'll clarify this one last time. I think MH isn't going to get a fighter, and I don't think it had any plans in base game to get a fighter. They had everything in base game planned out far ahead of time. I think it was always going to just be Rathalos. And I don't buy the theory that Infinite was a huge oversight and MH in Infinite was a mistake. You don't "mistakenly" add a character from one of your boss's biggest franchises (a character with a voice, story role, moveset and everything), without people in the dev team not finding out about (especially because it's run by the son/grandson of Capcom's boss). MH was denied in MvC 3, but not in Infinite and I honestly have 0 idea where such a stupid rumor started.

BUT (going back to Smash)...
Is it impossible to think that Nintendo noticed "Hmm, we put Rathalos in the game but a Monster Hunter fighter is still one of the most requested characters in Japan, so why don't we make them a fighter in volume 2".
I don't really think it's any different from "Hmm, we put the Geno Mii Costume in Smash 4, and a Geno spirit in Ultimate, and Geno is still one of the most requested fighters in the West, so why don't we make him a fighter in volume 2?"
Does the difference in content really make a big difference? You are still talking about 2 huge fan requested characters that have some presence in the main game, unlike say Lloyd Irving.

Obviously, I would've argue that MH was 100% dead for pass 1 (they would've added them in base if they were interested in it; in fact, I told people it was dead). But right now we are past the scope for the base game, meaning that Nintendo can potentially expand certain content. That's why I think MH, base mii costumes, base spirits, and even ATs are fair game. Characters like Geno/Monster Hunter/Lloyd/Isaac/Rex/Waluigi and more can get a second chance to get a playable fighter, now will they? That remains to be seen.

I hope this clarifies my thoughts on the matter, and I agree; we should drop it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The fact that we got a feasible amount of Dragon Quest content and original artwork for their fighter spirits is a miracle.
Odd thing is that Square-Enix wanted to see more than two Heroes among the costumes. So it's a miracle, but it also is even more of one cause SE suggested it. Most likely reason is to outright promote as much DQ as possible. Promoting 4 games at once makes sense. We also got multiple ports to the Switch within the same year.

So while it's not necessarily a miracle in context, it's still freaking awesome we got so much. I doubt we'd have gotten as much if Slime was chosen(though I imagine the moveset would be similar, since Slime can do a lot of the same moves. Though that's mostly due to the spin-offs anyway).

It sucks Final Fantasy got so little. I have a feeling SMRPG will get a lot better content than FF too. Though I forget who owns the music and character designs. But it also depends if Geno is also chosen to help promote a SMRPG re-release, which would overall make licensing a lot easier.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
The way I see it, while it's definitely true other Square characters have a broader appeal than Geno, especially for younger audiences, the impact of Geno would greatly outclass all of them. I mean, can you really see Crono or Sepiroth making the same waves as him?

Sora is the only one I can see feasibly having as much of an impact but for reasons I doubt I have to mention I don't think he's happening.
It's a "Smash Circle" VS "Outsider" deal in my eyes.

To outsiders, the likes of 2B and Sephiroth and Lara Croft would likely cause more waves, due to their popularity in the large gaming circles, they aren't talked about for Smash a lot. and if we try to hit characters with "broad appeal", it's hard to do so when you already have what is the biggest gaming icon of the last decade.

Geno on the other hand, is the next step after Banjo Kazooie, a character whose popularity is mostly thank to beign one of the more talked characters for Smash. While Steve IS popular and requested among the Smash community despite what some people might say, his popularity does rely on Minecraft beign a behemoth of pop culture, so i don't think we have gotten our "Hardcore" pick yet.

Then there's characters like Neku, who aren't talked about in Smash circles nor major gaming circles, so i don't see a character like him beign chosen. There's beign niche and then there's choosing an option that has far less appeal than what's currently available to choose from. If Travis became a Mii Costume im not surprised if Neku suffers a similar fate (or maybe just a Spirit Event)

QQS

Smash Lord
I hope they reveal fighter 8 in December rather than January. That way, it would be 3 Fighters in 2020 and 3 in 2021. Plus I’m pretty we are going to see Bonus Fighters; mostly Dixie, Bandana, Skull Kid or Pokemon.

The remaining FP2 for me are: Crash, Geno, Hayabusa, Dante. Can’t think of better worldwide/fan demand fits.

Crash is the last mega world mascot and would coincide with his revival and Crash 4, also has a high demand and it’s totally a legend.

Geno is easily the top 3 characters in terms of Fan Demand, along with Sora. So Geno could be our next Banjo-Kazooie pleasing all the unbelievable fan demand out there and bringing back Chocobo costume, many songs remixed by Yoko, Bowser Keep or Forest Maze, good spirits, probably costume of Sora or Crono, and a very beautiful modeled 3D HD Geno with a fun moveset. Also a pretty amiibo.

Hayabusa is a NES born legend that can bring so many good and unique moves. Nice outfit. Koei being partner with Nintendo and both would benefit. Also I think Sakurai love the NES born characters. Just look how perfectly well done is Mega Man (my most wanted along Geno)

Dante. I have no personal history with him but can’t think on a better Capcom rep right now (of course objectively speaking cause my most wanted here would be Zero from Mega Man X). Well Dante could add a lot of nice content, music, moveset, nice visuals, fan demand pleased and a lot of money like Crash.

Bonus would be focused more on First Party I guess.

I can think also in Rayman and Sora. But I’m not putting my 100% on all, for me the only 100% guaranteed as a Fighter are Geno and Crash.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I definitely think Mario RPG will get rereleased on Switch. The Wii, Wii U, and SNES Classic had it, so why not the Switch? Maybe it could be re-released to tie in with a new game so that people can catch up on the story?
To be honest, I think it's just licensing. In the Wii and Wii U, Square had complete control over the pricing and it was split with Nintendo. In the SNES Classic, Nintendo was able to talk and split the sales amongst pre-agreed conditions with all of the partners. But with the fluidity of an Online Ecosystem, it's hard to work out a deal with a company that can be as scrupulous as Square-Enix is at times.

We're looking at a game that will probably be a permanent addition to the NSO library. And since the Switch Online Ecosystem is free to a paying member, I imagine that for SMRPG publishing in the Switch Online; Square would likely want substantial $$$ and maybe even a monthly % cut of online memberships. And again, this is likely a permanent addition (have they ever removed games from NSO?), which makes a deal extremely difficult unless it's one-sided in their favor.

I DO think that eventually Nintendo will have to open up to the possibility of separate sales of old SNES games through the Eshop like the Wii/Wii U days. But doing that would likely lead the normal consumer to believe that Nintendo is backing out from supporting their Online Membership. However, I don't think we can expect any of the SNES Square RPG's (SMRPG, CT, FF6, etc) to make it for some time.

(Currently) The rumors seems to suggest that Nintendo may be going for on a Game-Boy Online system, soon (perhaps even next). But again, they're just rumors.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
To be honest, I think it's just licensing. In the Wii and Wii U, Square had complete control over the pricing and it was split with Nintendo. In the SNES Classic, Nintendo was able to talk and split the sales amongst pre-agreed conditions with all of the partners. But with the fluidity of an Online Ecosystem, it's hard to work out a deal with a company that can be as scrupulous as Square-Enix is at times.

We're looking at a game that will probably be a permanent addition to the NSO library. And since the Switch Online Ecosystem is free to a paying member, I imagine that for SMRPG publishing in the Switch Online; Square would likely want substantial $$$ and maybe even a monthly % cut of online memberships. And again, this is likely a permanent addition (have they ever removed games from NSO?), which makes a deal extremely difficult unless it's one-sided in their favor.

I DO think that eventually Nintendo will have to open up to the possibility of separate sales of old SNES games through the Eshop like the Wii/Wii U days. But doing that would likely lead the normal consumer to believe that Nintendo is backing up from supporting their Online Membership. However, I don't think we can expect any of the SNES Square RPG's (SMRPG, CT, FF6, etc) to make it for some time.

(Currently) The rumors seems to suggest that Nintendo may be going for on a Game-Boy Online system, soon (perhaps even next). But again, they're just rumors.
Gameboy Online is pretty much the best I can hope for because after 3D Allstars I'm beginning to believe that N64 Online and beyond are dead in the water.

Firox

Smash Master
I feel like I am seeing a lot more Geno hate recently. For some reason, Steve has flipped a switch in some people's brains that makes them 100% sure Geno is not coming.
It's fear and denial. They can sense Geno's chances increasing....

"Good...gooooood...let the hate floooow through you. Strike me down with it and your journey to the dark side will be complete!"

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Can I just say, I'm very dissapointed in some people in this thread regarding Monster Hunter. It's fine to say he's not likely or even to dismiss him as a possibility entirely. But as a community that has come together so much against fan rules and gatekeeping, can we please not do this to other fanbases? This new fan rule about how base game content deconfirms dlc content if the game was completely 3rd party but not if it was published by Nintendo is literally the EXACT SAME fan rule we all complained about when min min was coming out. Do y'all remember when we were like "people are totally going to say spirits deconfirm 3rd parties but not 1st parties" and we all had a good laugh about how stupid that was? Some of ya'll are literally applying that to another fanbase. Ya'll are better than this. You can't complain about gatekeeping and fanrules if you're going to do the same thing to other fanbases. I want to clarify that not everyone saying monster hunter is unlikely is guilty of this, just some people in this thread.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Good evening Genobros. Let us take a look back at that magical moment when Sakurai gifted us the first Super Smash Bros. Ultimate presentation that blew us away with the "EVERYONE IS HERE!" pitch. What an incredible moment. All of the iconic and memorable characters spanning Smash's 20+ year history made their triumphant return to the newest iteration in the series. Not only that but, always the over achiever, Sakurai brought even more characters aboard this masterpiece (some we thought we'd never actually get to see). The game already has 80+ characters, 100+ stages with Battlefield and Omega form options, a single player "adventure" mode with six cinematic cutscenes; a Classic mode which is personalized for EACH character; Home Run Contest; an ACTUAL training stage for training mode; a Stage Builder mode; approximately 1,000 music tracks. This and other things; for players who've been around since the first Super Smash Bros., anyone who'd come from the future and told us that this game, this iteration of Smash exists, we just wouldn't believe it until we saw it. Yet, here we are; from early 2018 all the way to the present Fall 2020.

With more content yet on its way, it is only appropriate that we pray for the wellbeing of everyone who worked, and are still working on this game, as well as thank them for it all. We all still want to see Geno, Crash, Dante, Doom Slayer, Master Chief, Monster Hunter, Arle Nadja, Klonoa, Lloyd Irving, Ryu Hayabusa, Goemon, Gordon Freeman, Neku Sakuraba, Lara Croft, Adol Christin, Quote, Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Rex, Bomberman, Leon Kennedy, Heihachi Mishima, Nightmare, Rayman, Isaac, Shadow, and many others, and that is fine. However, may each want not lead us astray and much less apart. We can only accept what the devs choose and that is the reality of it. Fortunately, the minds at the helm of this project are not blind as some may think. Some choices may have seemed poor and "out-of-touch", but those same choices have brought a smile on many a fan's faces. As Sakurai has stated before; Smash has become (and is) a celebration! Let us continue the celebration and eagerly await who else joins in on the fun. :kirby::ness:

Pakky

Smash Hero
So any developments today?

Oh also has anyone heard anything about Porky?

I would go elsewhere but after last time, I'm going to stay here (where its safe)

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Also like Papagenos said in his recent video, I think that after pass 2 Ultimate will go on a break and then return for a third pass. It would seem kinda odd to only support this game for three years. I don't think that would be a good financially considering how much money the DLC has raked in for Nintendo. There is so much potential for new characters, stages, etc. Ultimate is probably the only game where something like this will ever happen. Sakurai gets a break, we get more characters (a win-win if you ask me.) Guess it's only a matter of time.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location

I would go elsewhere but after last time, I'm going to stay here (where its safe)
No developments on Geno, no.

Porky's the same as always. Suspiciously absent as a spirit and no one can agree if the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit is supposed to have him inside it as a joke.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
This fighters pass definitely needs more cartoony characters. Maybe Geno and Crash could fit that bill. Also Ryza would definitely cause a stir in the community lol
Min-Min is a cartoony character, she’s just more along the lines of Popeye/Danny Phantom instead of Bugs Bunny/Mickey Mouse like Crash & Geno would be.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I'll share my predictions, but I'll go further and predict characters beyond Ultimate, and Fighters Pass 2.
I'll be honest, I really do believe that this is it for Super Smash Bros.
There's not going to be a Smash 6, only an updated version of Ultimate (Deluxe edition) with extra features and characters.
That's my belief.

Okay, I'll start:

#8 Geno + Bonus Fighter Waluigi:
Let's start with Geno. Mii costume still missing, Spirits don't deconfirm (Thank you Min Min), Music takedowns, wanted by fans and Sakurai, game of origin Super Mario RPG spawned a successful sub-series of games in Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, can actually offer more than just a Mii costume, name heard by insiders since late 2018, one of the "Seven Squares", inclusion could bring a formal stage for Bowser in "Bowser's Keep", Nintendo shutting down the Legacy XP mod where he was the main focus.

Now for Waluigi, I believe if he was picked, then there's no reason to not release him alongside a fellow Mario rep, especially since he would merely be a bonus fighter. Waluigi is currently an Assist Trophy (which can be disabled btw), but he's also one of the most wanted 1st party characters if not the most. Also similar to Geno, Waluigi's name was heard by insiders since late 2018, the Legacy XP mod featured a playable Waluigi (the character was 95% completed though), and finally then President of NoA Reggie Fils-aime stating he would make sure to let Sakurai know of the fan outcry for Waluigi.

I can't really do the other names justice, I'm not well informed on where they stand in all of this, but regardless of that I'll try to place them in the order I think they'll be revealed in.

#9 Lloyd Irving

#10 Crash

#11 Dante

With that, we now only have 3 slots in the game's data that we can fill with bonus fighters like Waluigi.

Bonus fighter 2 Dixie Kong
Bonus fighter 3 ????
Bonus fighter 4 ????

Now for the future characters of Smash Ultimate Deluxe, in no particular order:

1. New Nintendo IP
2. Zelda rep
3. Bandana Waddle Dee
4. Isaac
5. Travis Touchdown
6. Pokemon rep
7. Chun Li
8. Takamaru
9. Fire Emblem rep
10. Bomberman
11. Porky
12. New 3rd party character

QQS

Smash Lord
I hope they reveal fighter 8 in December rather than January. That way, it would be 3 Fighters in 2020 and 3 in 2021. Plus I’m pretty we are going to see Bonus Fighters; mostly Dixie, Bandana, Skull Kid or Pokemon.

The remaining FP2 for me are: Crash, Geno, Hayabusa, Dante. Can’t think of better worldwide/fan demand fits.

Crash is the last mega world mascot and would coincide with his revival and Crash 4, also has a high demand and it’s totally a legend.

Geno is easily the top 3 characters in terms of Fan Demand, along with Sora. So Geno could be our next Banjo-Kazooie pleasing all the unbelievable fan demand out there and bringing back Chocobo costume, many songs remixed by Yoko, Bowser Keep or Forest Maze, good spirits, probably costume of Sora or Crono, and a very beautiful modeled 3D HD Geno with a fun moveset. Also a pretty amiibo.

Hayabusa is a NES born legend that can bring so many good and unique moves. Nice outfit. Koei being partner with Nintendo and both would benefit. Also I think Sakurai love the NES born characters. Just look how perfectly well done is Mega Man (my most wanted along Geno)

Dante. I have no personal history with him but can’t think on a better Capcom rep right now (of course objectively speaking cause my most wanted here would be Zero from Mega Man X). Well Dante could add a lot of nice content, music, moveset, nice visuals, fan demand pleased and a lot of money like Crash.

Bonus would be focused more on First Party I guess.

I can think also in Rayman and Sora. But I’m not putting my 100% on all, for me the only 100% guaranteed as a Fighter are Geno and Crash.
Im sorry I forgot to say that I also believe Lloyd is a very safe pick, probably as sure as Geno-Crash. Just don’t know who will be away cause we have Geno, Crash, Lloyd, Dante, Hunter, Sora, Ryu and then the First Party populares. It will be amazing pics these last 4 well, the most pretty thing is that Geno is joining the Party!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They're making a movie about Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ?!

...well deserved, I'd say. Though he looks different than the photos he's shown before.

View attachment 288771

(I have literally no idea what this movie is, it just popped into my recommended)
So this movie takes place 30 years in the future in a alternate reality where Geno still isn't in Smash and Smash 12 is about to be released. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's life takes a bad turn and his life goes to ****. Everyone else here in the thread is either dead or they're not doing that well in life. Basically this is a movie about the alternate reality in the bad future where Fatman and the Geno fanbase lives are miserable and Geno isn't in.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
So this movie takes place 30 years in the future in a alternate reality where Geno still isn't in Smash and Smash 12 is about to be released. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's life takes a bad turn and his life goes to ****. Everyone else here in the thread is either dead or they're not doing that well in life. Basically this is a movie about the alternate reality in the bad future where Fatman and the Geno fanbase lives are miserable and Geno isn't in.
Smash 12?!!
Holy**** that's really far off.
Smash has basically been a chronicle mark in my life.

Smash 64 is where it all started, I was 5 years old.
Smash Melee 7 yrs old, then Smash Brawl 14 yrs old.
Smash Wii U 20 yrs old, then finally with Ultimate 24 yrs old. I'm currently 26.

By the time Smash 12 gets released I'll be 57 yrs old !!!

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Smash 12?!!

Smash Wii U 20 yrs old, then finally with Ultimate 24 yrs old. I'm currently 26.

We 'bout to be playing retirement home Smash

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
-ignore that, that was for a different thread and didnt erase it-
lol wut?
Yeah MH is heavily requested in Japan for sure, but in no way it's above of Sora lol, you clearly haven't kept up with the demand of that character, specially worldwide and not just Japan. I will agree any day now that MH is heavily requested, but that statement is just BS lol.
From what I remeber, Venus did say MH pushed Sora down to 2 in terms of wants

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

...well deserved, I'd say. Though he looks different than the photos he's shown before.

View attachment 288771

(I have literally no idea what this movie is, it just popped into my recommended)
Despite staring Mel Gibson, it looks great. Basically a kid hires an assassin to KILL SANTA CLAUS after getting coal for Christmas. Mel Gibson plays Santa Claus... Yes, you read that right. It's like Santa Claus is Coming to Town meets Taken meets Bojack Horseman. The premise is amazing alone but we'll see how it actually turns out.

Firox

Smash Master
Smash 12?!!

To be honest, I doubt we'll ever get to the twelfth iteration of Smash Bros. Reason being, each successive Smash game has shown diminishing returns with regards to newcomers, modes and gameplay mechanics. Graphics can only get so sharp, mechanics can only get so refined, and the number of characters is finite. Sooner or later, the franchise will eventually tap itself out to the point that each new iteration is only DIFFERENT and not necessarily BETTER than the one that came before. When that happens, interest and sales will stagnate and Nintendo will likely resort to "rebooting" the franchise with drastic reformatting that may or may not hit the mark. This is why I hope Ultimate gets ported for years to come. Take the pinnacle of the franchise and ride that wave as far as it will take us.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I'll just say that there's strong evidence that particular spirits for particular games have been held off until certain announcements are made. For example, Undertale and Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits still being MIA after more than a year should definitely raise some eyebrows.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

View attachment 288771

If this movie ends with the kid getting what he always wanted from Santa AND it's a wooden doll. I will lose it!!!

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I doubt we'll ever get to the twelfth iteration of Smash Bros. Reason being, each successive Smash game has shown diminishing returns with regards to newcomers, modes and gameplay mechanics. Graphics can only get so sharp, mechanics can only get so refined, and the number of characters is finite. Sooner or later, the franchise will eventually tap itself out to the point that each new iteration is only DIFFERENT and not necessarily BETTER than the one that came before. When that happens, interest and sales will stagnate and Nintendo will likely resort to "rebooting" the franchise with drastic reformatting that may or may not hit the mark. This is why I hope Ultimate gets ported for years to come. Take the pinnacle of the franchise and ride that wave as far as it will take us.
I can second this. I don't really want them to change/cut so many things in a sequel and end up with a Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite situation on our hands. I don't want a sequel that changes too many things and/or is so underwhelming, the franchise is shelved for another generation. I'm not sure what they can actually do after Ultimate is complete, maybe they can just port a "Complete" edition to the Switch 2 and call it a day. Sakurai can just take a really long vacation happily, and we can be eternally grateful for his creation.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

View attachment 288771

That's cool and all, but I'm personally more excited for the sequel, "THINWOMAN".

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I really hope Ultimate takes a leaf out of the books of MMOs, and starts doing large expansions with years of downtime and small patches in between.
I've thought this for a while now. Nintendo should take games like Mario Kart 8 DX, Splatoon 2, Mario Maker 2 or Smash Ultimate and just turn them into platforms. Rebrand Ultimate as just "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Edition" or something and give us consistent Season Passes, similar to say Fortnite or Overwatch. Each Pass could be simple and just bring us a new stage, new costumes, new Spirits... doesn't even need to have a character! But then you could have larger updates with smaller, more frequent patches along the way. I think it would work best if they fixed the online first, but this model would work really well with a game like Smash (or Mario Kart, or Splatoon, or Mario Maker....). I know some people think it's predatory and crappy, but it's the way business gets done now. At this stage in my life, I would much rather buy a game once and then pay incrementally for larger passes or enjoy the free smaller updates. I can't be bothered to keep adding more games to my collection because I don't have time, and by doing "Seasons" you nurture the environment and culture of that 1 game instead of just ditching it a year or two after its release.

Even if this isn't something people want for Smash, could you imagine if Mario Maker followed this model? Holy hell that game wouldn't have died so fast (talking about Mario Maker 2, of course), and I think it could have been this consistent mainstay on the console (similar to how Minecraft refuses to die because it keeps getting content and fan driven hype over that content).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom