• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I agree. Plus, like I keep saying, the evidence that Nintendo has really, really big plans with Donkey Kong going forward has been snowballing since the spring and if they made it a point to have Min Min literally three years after ARMS, them having Dixie for this super mystery Monkey Long game that likely was supposed to be an E3 2020 announcement seems like a no brainer. Beyond that, Dixie was cut from Brawl and content from Donkey Kong Country 3 and Tropical Freeze has been measly so a massive monkey music dump with her would make DK's representation "whole", so to speak.
I hope the revamping of the DK Series leads to a return to a 3D world. Come to think of it, Donkey Kong has potential for an open world game, where you can explore jungles, caves, beaches, etc....

where do you think DK is going fatman?

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I agree. Plus, like I keep saying, the evidence that Nintendo has really, really big plans with Donkey Kong going forward has been snowballing since the spring and if they made it a point to have Min Min literally three years after ARMS, them having Dixie for this super mystery Monkey Long game that likely was supposed to be an E3 2020 announcement seems like a no brainer. Beyond that, Dixie was cut from Brawl and content from Donkey Kong Country 3 and Tropical Freeze has been measly so a massive monkey music dump with her would make DK's representation "whole", so to speak.
Slightly unrelated but I'm still kinda salty that they made the main villain of Tropical Freeze a Novice spirit but then made whoever the **** Karate Kong is an Ace level.

D

Deleted member

I hope the revamping of the DK Series leads to a return to a 3D world. Come to think of it, Donkey Kong has potential for an open world game, where you can explore jungles, caves, beaches, etc....

Oh goodie, more terrible Twitter hot-takes of how DK should stay 2D, it doesn't work in 3D, and how DK64 and Rare is the bane of everyone's existence now, despite being loved by nearly everybody just a couple of years ago. Keep your takes to yourself. It's bad enough dealing with the Sonic hot-takes and how the 3D games were "never good".

If I had a penny for every time someone said "Sonic had a rocky start to 3D". Kill me.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

I hope for 3D open world too. I don't mind the return to the 2D formula, but I'd really prefer 3D at this point. DK 64's flaws are way overblown, and it's not like a new 3D game would even have those flaws.

And I kinda stan DK64, so

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm not terribly fond of DK64 myself, but I'd gladly accept a 3D Donkey Kong if the level design was good enough. My ideal game would be something like a hybrid between classic Spyro and Crash; taking some of the more open levels of the former for collection and enemies and some tight platforming sections from the latter. But there's loads of ways to make the concept work.

To me the one potential downside of doing the open world collectathon again is the obvious comparison to Odyssey and future Mario titles, especially given that the former game has been seen as ironing out many of the kinks that were present in 64 and Sunshine. To me, DK is at its strongest when it takes a format like it did the 2D platformer, and really emphasize elements that were often undercooked in other ones. One of the reasons the DKC trilogy and the likes of Tropical Freeze were so good was that they embraced things like the kinetic energy of the Kong's moves/jumps and created an in game atmosphere few other games of its types had. I'm lukewarm towards Jungle Beat for some of its elements, but it did go for something unique in its mechanics.

Donkey Kong in 3D feels like it should be striving for something you can't get in a Mario release.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I hope for 3D open world too. I don't mind the return to the 2D formula, but I'd really prefer 3D at this point. DK 64's flaws are way overblown, and it's not like a new 3D game would even have those flaws.

And I kinda stan DK64, so
2D DKC is great and all but I'm gonna be honest with you guys....I've outgrown pretty much all 2D platformers except for Mario Maker 2 (mostly due to the fact that MM2 can mix things up and keep it fresh). The thing is, there's really only so much you can do creatively with 2D games and having played ALL DKC's ever made, they start to get kinda samey. I actually liked DK64 and I think Nintendo fans are well overdue for some more 3D adventure collectathons after so many years of the industry shying away from it. Imagine web-slinging through the forest on Squitter (the spider) or plowing through crowds of Kremlings with good ol' Rambi? There's so much more you can do with 3D to keep things fresh. I think the natural evolution would be to do something akin to Breath of the Wild but with Donkey Kong.

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
This may seem very weird, but I think that if Nintendo teamed up with Toys For Bob and Retro, they could make a killer 3D DK game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The games missing aside from SMRPG are:
Earthbound
*Contra 3
Final Fantasy 6
Legend of the Mystical Ninja(not even on Japan NSO)
*Secret of Mana
*Mega Man X
*Super Street Fighter 2(neither the OG nor Turbo)
*Super Castlevania 4
* means the game has been resold through a collection. That just leaves Mystical Ninja, FF6, Earthbound and Mario RPG(Fire Emblem is only available in Japan).
Thank you man for acknowledging Legend of the Mystical Ninja's absence from Switch Online. As a Goemon fan, I feel like most westerners pretend or don't even know this series exist. Thank you man!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Which is what kills me because when I saw Gooigi and Cadence I was like "okay, 6 is a pure first party and Waluigi" and then it was a pure first party but it was Min Min and neither showed up... I do think we're getting at least one more first party character but, as time has gone on, it suggests that the last first party character isn't ala carte (like I'm predicting Waluigi to be) but another first party pack... This is yet another reason why I'm currently invested in Dixie.
So are you saying Dixie could get her own pack instead of being a standalone bonus fighter?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I just noticed rewatching the new MK 11 trailer that the new season kinda rebranded the game to Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate. Hmm... Not to jump to conclusions but... HMMMMMMMM. 🤔

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
I just noticed rewatching the new MK 11 trailer that the new season kinda rebranded the game to Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate. Hmm... Not to jump to conclusions but... HMMMMMMMM. 🤔
Sakurai has said before no mortal kombat when asked, I forget which interview it was, might be hard to find. Had to do with all the gore. They didn’t rebrand it, it’s just mortal Kombat plus all dlc, lots of games put ultimate at the end when rereleasing it with dlc

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Oh goodie, more terrible Twitter hot-takes of how DK should stay 2D, it doesn't work in 3D, and how DK64 and Rare is the bane of everyone's existence now, despite being loved by nearly everybody just a couple of years ago. Keep your takes to yourself. It's bad enough dealing with the Sonic hot-takes and how the 3D games were "never good".

If I had a penny for every time someone said "Sonic had a rocky start to 3D". Kill me.
Oh goodie, more terrible trolls coming In and zeroing in on one post amongst a myriad of other franchise hot takes in this thread (including directions for SMRPG) because they have nothing better to do with their lives. Look how smart and witty you are showing everyone how lame other people’s “hot takes” are! You’re so much more advanced than the rest of us!

Last edited:

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet

when did he imply this

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's a novelty, a potential escalation of hostilities in a Geno thread that actually has nothing to do with him or even characters competing with him in a Fighter's Pass.

I suppose it had to happen eventually.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
There's a novelty, a potential escalation of hostilities in a Geno thread that actually has nothing to do with him or even characters competing with him in a Fighter's Pass.

I suppose it had to happen eventually.
Well that’s half the problem. We’ve just went through pages and pages of Tales talk and Ninja Gaiden talk, but someone comes for me about my “takes” on a franchise which spanned exactly ONE post.

Like give me a break. If someone’s gonna come for me, at least have some perspective about what the thread has been discussing for the past week.

Not to mention - telling someone to keep their takes to themselves? Don’t be a clown. There’s actually just no point wasting energy in typing that. If you don’t like what I’m saying? IGNORE IT. The internet is LITERALLY full of “hot takes”.

Anyways, ya, back to Geno and the potential of bonus characters...

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Am I missing something, or wasn't the comment you were quoting embracing the possibility of a new 3D Donkey Kong game, not denying it? We really picking fights out here for no discernible reason?

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
So are you saying Dixie could get her own pack instead of being a standalone bonus fighter?
I seem to remember Fatman hinting at a follow up to the K. Rool and Banjo trailers. I thought he was alluding to Crash, but I feel Dixie would be more appropriate for that scenario. I might be misremembering though.

And sorry for the post Geno fans. I saw there was Dixie talk, and I had to stop by. Love Geno btw, and I have no doubt he is in this pass.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I seem to remember Fatman hinting at a follow up to the K. Rool and Banjo trailers. I thought he was alluding to Crash, but I feel Dixie would be more appropriate for that scenario. I might be misremembering though.

And sorry for the post Geno fans. I saw there was Dixie talk, and I had to stop by. Love Geno btw, and I have no doubt he is in this pass.
Yeah, he told me about a trailer he heard with DK, Banjo, and Samus in it. It could be for Dixie or it could be for Master Chief since Samus is in it.

Last edited:

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, he told me about a trailer he heard with DK, Banjo, and Samus in it. He could be for Dixie or it could be for Master Chief since Samus is in it.
Isn't it a little hard to leakers to know how a trailer for a fighter will be? I may be wrong but I don't remember someone getting it right.

D

Deleted member

Oh goodie, more terrible trolls coming In and zeroing in on one post amongst a myriad of other franchise hot takes in this thread (including directions for SMRPG) because they have nothing better to do with their lives. Look how smart and witty you are showing everyone how lame other people’s “hot takes” are! You’re so much more advanced than the rest of us!
I was.. agreeing with you? I want DK to be 3D! Your post had nothing wrong with it, I think you got the wrong idea from my post.

The takes (NOT yours) was more referring to Twitter, and the type of it that says crap like "Sonic/DK was never good". If DK went 3D, then you'll be expecting trash hot takes similar to Sonic. It can't ever go 3D to these types.

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Isn't it a little hard to leakers to know how a trailer for a fighter will be? I may be wrong but I don't remember someone getting it right.
The closest thing we had to a reveal trailer being leak was the Kencineroar trailer being leak by a couple of people within a week before it dropped. Fatman isn't a leaker, he is a theorycrafter who has sources.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

While i agree with your post, why did you quote him? Doesn't seem to be against 3D DK.

D

Deleted member

I quoted him because he was talking about a 3D DK. DK64 has received a lot of flack recently for no discernible reason, out of nowhere. And it reminded me of how Sonic was treated now with the Adventure titles being seen as "bad" now. Despite both of these being universally loved not too long ago. Hence the hot takes comment.

I think this thread misunderstood. It wasn't directly at anyone in particular, apart from Twitter contrarians. They should keep their takes to themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
I was.. agreeing with you? I want DK to be 3D! Your post had nothing wrong with it, I think you got the wrong idea from my post.

The takes (NOT yours) was more referring to Twitter, and the type of it that says crap like "Sonic/DK was never good". If DK went 3D, then you'll be expecting trash hot takes similar to Sonic. It can't ever go 3D to these types.
It was a bad idea to basically quote that, you came off as an ignorant troll who was twisting words, we have now learned that is not you, also the way you started your sentence was horrible, nobody mentioned Twitter and most importantly the other guy was not the only guy mentioning a 3D DK game.

Alright, may I ask what has been going on here?
All that you missed was this discussion evolving once again, this time into a 3D DK game discussion.

The closest thing we had to a reveal trailer being leak was the Kencineroar trailer being leak by a couple of people within a week before it dropped. Fatman isn't a leaker, he is a theorycrafter who has sources.
unreleated but also related to this, I remember some leakers saying they had found out about plant/saw the trailer for plant right before the November smash direct, multiple leakers mentioned this.

I agree.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
geno was the sixth member of the dk crew the whole time
Curse you for compelling me to do this:

From the Star Road he's here to join the crew
With his whirl attack to hit on cue
Packed with a Hand Glove that can't go wrong
Taking out the baddies as an honorary Kong!
Charging up his Beam and givin' it a Boost
So K Rool beware 'cause he's gonna be loosed
Huh!

Last edited:

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Curse you for compelling me to do this:

From the Star Road he's here to join the crew
With his whirl attack to hit on cue
Packed with a Hand Glove and Forest Maze song
Taking out the baddies as an honorary Kong!
Charging up his Beam and givin' it a Boost
So K Rool beware 'cause he's gonna be loosed
Huh!
Is it bad that I read that to the beat of the DK Rap?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Okay then.

With that said, I did see some people say others were defending Fatman from others from outside the thread, even if they did not bring him up or maybe were not being so harmful towards him, so I wish to say this, while referring not just to Farman, but to anybody; all whether it actually happened or not

Basically, guys, don't get too worked up on defending people who you may especially admire so much. I mean, there are better ways to deal with others outside the thread, whether they are here to cause trouble or not, especially to someone who has done some things that you may like, may want to hear or something else, yada yada yada. Sometimes, you may actually act or be no better then the outsiders who say such things to the ones you like. Whether or not they do bash the person in question, they still have a right to disagree with that person, and it may be better to not pay attention to them if you don't like what they say, whether they are overly being negative and hateful or not. It is okay to like someone you admire, but there are cases where trying to defend them, in a heavy kind of a way, is way too unnecessary. That is to say, it's not bad to defend someone (in fact, it can be good), but being a fanboy over that person is not really the way to go. Just be cool and good about it, or in the case of some people, as much as you can be without insulting them and being defensive or maybe angry.

I am not saying such people who are defended, like Fatman, should not be defended, nor do I say they deserve to be attacked; I am not trying to attack such people like Fatman. Just be more reasonable, or at least try your best without going overboard. You can like and admire someone, but sometimes, being overly defensive can be more harmful to you than to the one you admire or the person you feel is or is outright bashing them. Just because you like someone for whatever reason, does not mean they need all that defending, especially in a fanboyish way, or so much as you might think is needed to defend them. No offense to anyone here. Just saying this because I saw someone say something about defending Fatman on this topic from another thread.

Now, to get back on topic, imagine if Super Mario RPG referred to the main five as a crew, like the DK Crew?

Or better yet, who do you think would win an all out fight? The Main Five from Super Mario RPG or the DK Crew from Donkey Kong 64?

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Or better yet, who do you think would win an all out fight? The Main Five from Super Mario RPG or the DK Crew from Donkey Kong 64?
it’s a tie, Geno and Lankey Kong would be the only ones standing, and since they both don’t wanna use their god like powers, they agree in a draw, then revive everyone that just died. I also unironically want Lankey in smash, but not as much asSora, Geno, Travis, Shantae, etc.

Good night btw

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
The Mario RPG group for sure, no doubt on that. Geno would pack some intense heat. On a different note, Is Geno one of the most powerful Mario characters? He’s definitely up there in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom