• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Someone in the thread claims to be a brand ambassador saying he heard Geno. Some other guy said he also heard Geno, and verified it with the OP, but said he's "half-assed leak bait".

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think about this alleged leak?
I don't know for sure, but I'm not completely buying it. It feels like he's way too certain on specific things/characters that even Vergeben is unsure about, especially after the whole situation with Hitagi and the bait leaks. I believe the convesation he had with Vergeben could be real but as a whole, I just have a gut feeling that the entire post only contains half-truths and doubled-down speculations.

He says that that Geno and Sora aren't in but that a SE representative is in, which points to a DQ character based on past rumours and "leaks". This lines up with one of Hitagi's older beliefs regarding the SE character potentially being a DQ character, as well as a Twitter insider (forgot which one) who said something about a DQ character being announced at the VGAs. However, since Hitagi said that most of the characters they believed were originally DLC could very well have been fake leak baits, I have great doubt that this Xenother guy could be so confident with his info or know so much about the actual DLC characters. I just don't buy it with all the evidence lined up for Geno, especially with PolarPanda's source, lack of Geno's spirit, and other speculations people have made regarding Geno that sound extremely logical.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any leaker who "disconfirms" stuff is bul****ting. If you don't know the roster, then how do you know who isn't in? If you know they are not a playable character then tell us what you saw proof they are in the game as. That's the only reason a leaker would be able to disconfirm something. Unless we are getting Geno, Banjo, and Sora assist trophies and a melmetal pokeball as dlc, then this doesn't make any sense.

Also "I don't know who the square character is" and "Geno and Sora aren't in" are not compatible sentences.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any leaker who "disconfirms" stuff is bul****ting. If you don't know the roster, then how do you know who isn't in? If you know they are not a playable character then tell us what you saw proof they are in the game as. That's the only reason a leaker would be able to disconfirm something. Unless we are getting Geno, Banjo, and Sora assist trophies and a melmetal pokeball as dlc, then this doesn't make any sense.

Also "I don't know who the square character is" and "Geno and Sora aren't in" are not compatible sentences.
Not to mention another user in the thread claims both he and the OP have heard Geno but believe it's leak bait

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Not to mention another user in the thread claims both he and the OP have heard Geno but believe it's leak bait
Oh yeah, the KronoXIV guy, right? Don't quote me on this but I could have sworn I've seen this guy making extremely anti-Geno statements about not wanting him in the game for a month now on GameFAQs. I may need to double check if it was the same guy, but if so, I don't believe a thing he says about his "sources," yet alone having any legitimate ones.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
The one where he(she?) talks about how 4 out of 5 of the leak characters she(she?) thought was in were wrong? Wasn't that yesterday?

Or did Hitagi make some other statement?
I mean the person making the post on Gamespot saying Hitagi was legit before Hitagi came out and said he had fake information.

Someone in the thread claims to be a brand ambassador saying he heard Geno. Some other guy said he also heard Geno, and verified it with the OP, but said he's "half-***** leak bait".
I love when people like this guy in the thread try to claim "X character is fake/leak bait" when they themselves don't even know for sure who is the legit character. Verg did this as well.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I mean the person making the post on Gamespot saying Hitagi was legit before Hitagi came out and said he had fake information.
This person posted that thread 10 hours ago and Hitagi's post saying he's been leak baited is from yesterday so Hitagi posted first

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I still hope Geno is in but at this point I'm not going to be surprised at all if I don't see him. It's gotten to that point where it's completely up in the air and in my opinion I feel like his chances went from 90% to 30% with the announcement of Nintendo selecting DLC choices. I can't see them going out of their way to do something for a group of fans who clamor for their obscure RPG content to be reborn. Just look at Mother 3, which still sits in Japan after over a decade of huge fan support which include petitions, well-crafted fan-art books, etc. The only time I think Nintendo has actually delivered to cult classic fans is when they officially released Mother as EarthBound Beginnings for the first time overseas in 2015. I don't know, I am still supporting him but there's a lot of doubt in my mind for some reason.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
This person posted that thread 10 hours ago and Hitagi's post saying he's been leak baited is from yesterday so Hitagi posted first
Ah okay my mistake. If anything that's even weirder considering Hitagi themselves said they had recieved fake info. So I'm not sure why the person is trying to say Hitagi never backtracked considering he made claims and then later was unsure about them and then said it was bull****. That's the definition of backtracking.

I still hope Geno is in but at this point I'm not going to be surprised at all if I don't see him. It's gotten to that point where it's completely up in the air and in my opinion I feel like his chances went from 90% to 30% with the announcement of Nintendo selecting DLC choices. I can't see them going out of their way to do something for a group of fans who clamor for their obscure RPG content to be reborn. Just look at Mother 3, which still sits in Japan after over a decade of huge fan support which include petitions, well-crafted fan-art books, etc. The only time I think Nintendo has actually delivered to cult classic fans is when they officially released Mother as EarthBound Beginnings for the first time overseas in 2015. I don't know, I am still supporting him but there's a lot of doubt in my mind for some reason.
>It's a Geno and SMRPG are obscure episode

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
What do you mean?
I mean that we've had pages and pages of explanations as to how SMRPG is actually pretty popular and well remembered among Nintendo fans on a large scale, has sold well, has gotten a recent rerelease as a part of the highly selling SNES Classic, and Geno keeps getting voted to the top of polls. So he's really not as super obscure as people like you try to say as well-intentioned as you may be in this situation. Dragon Quest in the US is obscure. Super Mario RPG is not obscure. Just because it came out 22 years ago doesn't make it obscure.

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Ah okay my mistake. If anything that's even weirder considering Hitagi themselves said they had recieved fake info. So I'm not sure why the person is trying to say Hitagi never backtracked considering he made claims and then later was unsure about them and then said it was bull****. That's the definition of backtracking.
His entire post seems like a contradiction to me, to be honest:

-He claims Hitagi never backtracked on anything and then immediately proceeds to explain that he was given leak bait.
-He claims that he's fairly sure about all the characters he mentioned, even though he just talked about Hitagi becoming unsure about most of the characters he was told.
-He claims that there's a SE representative in he's been trying to pinpoint, but is absolutely certain it's not Geno or Sora for some reason.
-Finally, he claims he's trying to be transparent with us but just confuses and complicates the situation even more.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I was the person who claimed to be a brand ambassador (I corrected myself by saying it was my friend -- which is indeed the case. A bit of an error on my part. I simply wanted to call it out as BS. Then, funnily enough, some guy says he knows the OP and that the OP heard geno but that it's "leakbait", as if he'd know if it were leakbait. LOL.

Anyways, as I said before, no reason to pay any attention to this. He contradicts verge (saying Geno is deconfirmed), and nobody has even verified he ever even talked to Verge. This is equivalent to just another 4chan leak.

His entire post seems like a contradiction to me, to be honest:

-He claims Hitagi never backtracked on anything and then immediately proceeds to explain that he was given leak bait.
-He claims that he's fairly sure about all the characters he mentioned, even though he just talked about Hitagi becoming unsure about most of the characters he was told.
-He claims that there's a SE representative in he's been trying to pinpoint, but is absolutely certain it's not Geno or Sora for some reason.
-Finally, he claims he's trying to be transparent with us but just confuses and complicates the situation even more.
"G-guys, I know there's an enix rep, but I don't know who the rep is! I can't figure it out... I heard Geno, but that's definitely leakbait! A-and, Sora makes no sense..." -random literally-who gamefaqs 'leaker'.

Last edited:

grizby2

Smash Lord
Okay, here's something to open things up to something else... Suppose they did a remaster of SMRPG, what would you want different and what new things would you all like?
I would definitely like it to have "spyro reignited"-levels of remastery, keeping the angled overhead view of the original game, and some epic lighting for atmosphere. I think it would be SUPER cool to give the game some voice acting, but that might be asking for too much. I wouldn't mind if we had classic grunts and such, but it'd be interesting to see a Mario game go all the way with voice clips.

D

Deleted member

There are many reasons why Geno is still likely for the SE rep. He is very popular in the Smash community, he represents the very first Mario RPG, he represents the bonding of Nintendo and Square Enix, and he is a character who Sakurai stated that he likes and triedto put in Brawl and Smash 4. More than any other Square Enix character, Geno (and Mallow) are the only ones who are important to Nintendo and Nintendo's past. Sora only has a few games on Nintendo consoles with the last one being 6 years ago and remastered multiple times on competitor's consoles, and adding him would be free advertising for a competitor, making Sora an unlikely pick with Nintendo choosing the DLC. Dragon Quest is only popular in Japan. No global demand or global appeal, and it would be difficult as hell to get the rights to one. All this and Sakurai and Nintendo already have the rights to Geno, and not to mention that Geno and Mallow are the only SE characters who Nintendo would make money off of, making them more likely with Nintendo choosing the DLC. Also, would Nintendo really refuse another Mario character on the roster?

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If Geno got in, what victory theme would he have? Would it be the same as Mario's? Would it be the battle victory theme from SMRPG? Or would it be something else?

Last edited:

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Um. According to one K. Rool fan, the "trinity" was just an example of Geno fans piggybacking off of Ridley and K. Rool. Care to explain this?
Why should we explain ourselves to whatever a filthy scaly says

Geno, Isaac, Skull Kid, Ridley, and K. Rool have been the most requested characters (1st party and including Geno in there because of its ownership woes) since Brawl and if anyone says otherwise they probably didn't frequent many forums.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Considering that user joined in 2014 I would hardly call them qualified or experienced enough to make that call.
I don't know. It definitely feels like a case of piggybacking to me. Is he not wrong that Geno support died down during Smash 4?
Why should we explain ourselves to whatever a filthy scaly says
Why did you guys piggyback off of K. Rool to begin with by forming some made-up "trinity"? Also, "filthy scaly"? Wow. Way to disrespect fans of a more popular character.

At this point, if Geno gets in for DLC, then I'll be happy for the fans of his that aren't like this. I know that many Geno fans don't feel the need to compare their character to others or insult fans of different characters and just like him genuinely.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Um. According to one K. Rool fan, the "trinity" was just an example of Geno fans piggybacking off of Ridley and K. Rool. Care to explain this?
View attachment 179295
That's a funny/wrong thing to say considering he was always near the top of polls taken around when the ballot was open.

I don't know. It definitely feels like a case of piggybacking to me. Is he not wrong that Geno support died down during Smash 4?

Why did you guys piggyback off of K. Rool to begin with by forming some made-up "trinity"? Also, "filthy scaly"? Wow. Way to disrespect fans of a more popular character. I just lost some respect for you guys.

At this point, if Geno gets in for DLC, then I'll be happy for the fans of his that aren't like this. I know that many Geno fans don't feel the need to compare their character to others and just like him genuinely.
I'm sorry, what? You came in here and tried to accuse Geno fans of "piggybacking" and are surprised people responded negatively to what that person said?
Did you seriously just come in here to dramastir and pit one fanbase against another? Food for thought: Most people here don't really give a **** what some rando's views are about us/"the trinity" are.

Also hypothetical question for everyone else: If Geno could cross-over into a franchise other than Mario where would you want him to show up?

Attachments

Last edited:

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Is he not wrong that Geno support died down during Smash 4?

Why did you guys piggyback off of K. Rool to begin with by forming some made-up "trinity"? Also, "filthy scaly"? Wow. Way to disrespect fans of a more popular character. I just lost some respect for you guys.
If it had died, would we have gotten the Geno costume?

Also, I don't mind about the respect, to begin with I don't have any respect for fanbases than begin trashing on others once their character has been confirmed.

And the scaly thing was a joke, but of you didn't catch it I'll just begin adding some /s's then.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380

At this point, if Geno gets in for DLC, then I'll be happy for the fans of his that aren't like this. I know that many Geno fans don't feel the need to compare their character to others and just like him genuinely.
Wait what. So you are saying us geno fans as a whole made up that term and that we made up the whole Trinity thing. If you actually think we would do that then I think it best if you leave. Unless you were kidding. I dunno who made up filthy scaly but it wasn't us as a whole. Just because one person in our thread says that doesn't mean we all think that. And then the whole Trinity thing makes sense to have geno part of it because he is a heavily requested character, take it from sakurai.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
And the scaly thing was a joke, but of you didn't catch it I'll just begin adding some /s's then.
Ah. The classic "It was just a joke!" excuse. And yes, you should have put /s in the comment if it was indeed a joke. Sarcasm is hard to detect on the Internet.

Wait what. So you are saying us geno fans as a whole made up that term and that we made up the whole Trinity thing. If you actually think we would do that then I think it best if you leave. Unless you were kidding. I dunno who made up filthy scaly but it wasn't us as a whole. Just because one person in our thread says that doesn't mean we all think that. And then the whole Trinity thing makes sense to have geno part of it because he is a heavily requested character, take it from sakurai.
Yeah. I should leave. The only reason I went off like that in the first place was because someone else told me the trinity was made up. I guess maybe that guy didn't know the whole story, and neither did I. I apologize for generalizing the whole fandom like this. Most of you guys are nice and swell.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Ah. The classic "It was just a joke!" excuse. And yes, you should have put /s in the comment if it was indeed a joke. Sarcasm is hard to detect on the Internet.

Yeah. I should leave. The only reason I went off like that in the first place was because someone else told me the trinity was made up. I guess maybe that guy didn't know the whole story, and neither did I. I'm sorry for generalizing the whole fandom like this. Most of you guys are nice and swell.
So you really just took some ****** thing some random person said about geno fans and the trinity at face value and decided to come into the geno thread to what exactly? Take us to task over it? I'm honestly at a loss here.

Last edited:

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. I should leave. The only reason I went off like that in the first place was because someone else told me the trinity was made up. I guess maybe that guy didn't know the whole story, and neither did I. I apologize for generalizing the whole fandom like this. Most of you guys are nice and swell.
It's fine, I don't know how the situation is over that thread, but if you ever feel like theorizing the smallest detail or tweet for a character's chances as DLC, and seeing people go insane by the wait you're always welcome here.
No /s.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 179295
I can’t speak to the Smash 4 speculation cycle as I pretty much skipped it assuming Geno’s best shot had come and gone with Brawl. That said, the trinity was absolutely a thing in Brawl. In fact, my recollection was that Krystal from Star Fox Adventures had a pretty huge following in those days as well, challenging K. Rool, Isaac, and Banjo for the 3rd spot.

The vets here can probably provide more context, but to me the whole trinity concept originated from Sakurai’s mail poll prior to Brawl:

King Dedede(5)
Diddy Kong(4)
Geno(4)
Ike(4)
Ridley(4)
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3)
Krystal(3)
Takamaru(3)
Windwaker Link(3)
Animal Crossing MC(2)
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2)
Jeff(2)
Kawasima(2)
King K.Rool(2)
Lip(2)
Lucas(2)
Mega Man(2)
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2)

Take a look at who’s in third place behind two playable fighters and ahead of Ridley. That’s Geno. He hit third in that poll before there was any actual support infrastructure, history, memes, or Mii Costumes. According to Sakurai, he planned to add Geno in Brawl and thought he would, “Fit absolutely perfectly in Smash.” Of the original trinity, Geno was the front runner. Square nixed his chance at being playable. Ridley was a boss in SSE, and K. Rool was a trophy & sticker.

I’ll concede that K. Rool’s popularity has only grown since Brawl and he likely won the ballot in a landslide. Hell, I was ecstatic when he was revealed and cannot wait to try him out.

However, you have to realize that many of us just assumed Square made Geno’s chances impossible. Then, suddenly at the end of Smash 4 Cloud showed up with a Geno Mii costume. Geno’s chances were suddenly resurrected. And when Ridley and K. Rool were announced for Ultimate, so was the old trinity because a bunch of Brawl vets, including myself, committed to supporting Geno one last time. K. Rool’s support is legit, but Geno’s support is not a bandwagon at all.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The guy literally has no history. He has an account on both GameFAQs and Reddit that are less than a month old but claims to have long reaching ties with Vergeben? If you look at his supposed PMs, Vergeben is allegedly sharing PARAGRAPHS of information with this guy despite being very to the point with everyone else, including people Vergeben himself called friends. He's more or less claiming that Vergeben trusts him more than his closest friends and that's a tall order to the point that I don't think Vergeben will even dignify this guy with a response.

This guy contradicts himself a lot too. One of the most notable things is that Hitagi took back everything except Steve, stating that a lot of false was being put out there, and yet this guy confidently discomfirms 5 characters with absolute certainty? On top of this, 2 of those characters are the Square Enix characters, ones that everyone is saying are hard to deduce and a lot of fake names are floating around. There's absolutely no reason to trust this guy. No history. No evidence to being credible. Makes incredibly bold statements including implying that Vergeben trusts him more than his actual friends. Is making a grand stand attempt to "explain" how insider information works and how precarious it is by ironically drawing attention to it. I'd just let this one go.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
At this point, if Geno gets in for DLC, then I'll be happy for the fans of his that aren't like this...
Thats the thing, it didnt. We were still consistantly high in polls, and requests and still had an active fan base.

Also, hope that last part wasnt directed at or inclusive of me. Especially since Ive been a K rool and Ridley supporter since the beginning as well. I have been here a very very long time. And particularly active in the Geno base since he's always been my #1. My biggest desires were always, in order: "Geno->Isaac->Wolf(Brawl for the win,but I really wanted him as Smash 4 DLC)->Krystal->K Rool(Ultimate for the win)->Ridley (Ultimate for the Win)"

Though I will admit I only spent my energy on Geno and Isaac this time around. :)

Edit: Fixed spelling errors. Also owjies owjies post above me does a good job of explaining things, I believe. ^_^

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There are many reasons why Geno is still likely for the SE rep. He is very popular in the Smash community, he represents the very first Mario RPG, he represents the bonding of Nintendo and Square Enix, and he is a character who Sakurai stated that he likes and triedto put in Brawl and Smash 4. More than any other Square Enix character, Geno (and Mallow) are the only ones who are important to Nintendo and Nintendo's past. Sora only has a few games on Nintendo consoles with the last one being 6 years ago and remastered multiple times on competitor's consoles, and adding him would be free advertising for a competitor, making Sora an unlikely pick with Nintendo choosing the DLC. Dragon Quest is only popular in Japan. No global demand or global appeal, and it would be difficult as hell to get the rights to one. All this and Sakurai and Nintendo already have the rights to Geno, and not to mention that Geno and Mallow are the only SE characters who Nintendo would make money off of, making them more likely with Nintendo choosing the DLC. Also, would Nintendo really refuse another Mario character on the roster?
The only ones they’d make money off of? We’ve got nothing to remotely prove that other than some major guesswork. Like that takes lots of leaps in saying we know how these major companies would operate in specific ways to make such a claim. Plus any in-house Square character would then theoretically under this model be as profitable as Geno or Mallow. Saying they’re the only profitable Square characters for Nintendo is way too big of a leap to make.

I have this same attitude with Banjo, who I’ve also never found super likely. Dealing with a third party means you’re playing with such different rules that trying to assume what that means in each individual context just shouldn’t be done. There’s just way too much nuance that we’ll never even see unless Sakurai tells us directly and even then, he’s not the one steering this ship completely with regards to DLC.

As for Kingdom Hearts being on a competitor’s console right now and not having appeared in recent memory... isn’t that using relevancy against Sora when talking about Geno a little bit? And doesn’t Cloud make short work of this argument too seeing as a Final Fantasy VII Remake wasn’t even announced to have relations to Nintendo when he came out? Plus it’s a character get for Nintendo while advertising something Square can make money off of both with Nintendo’s deal and increased exposure to Kingdom Hearts in general, which would probably be the biggest win in general for them while still giving Nintendo a serious win too.

Look, I know there’s this idea here that Sora isn’t a good idea for Smash, but he’d definitely be a recognizable enough character for people to buy or trust the Fighters Pass with. I don’t know where this notion of Geno being such an important show of faith that Sora couldn’t possibly be, but I seriously think he could be just as notable and encouraging. I hate to say it, but most of us big Smash fans who comprise the more core lineup of requests are going to probably buy the DLC anyway. I know that doesn’t necessarily apply to everyone, but there’s an increased chance that we’ll either buy it because we’re getting more Smash content in the form of characters and stages, or that how sakurai interprets a character will convince us enough of things we otherwise didn’t know we wanted.

In short, we’re one of the demographics with the least need of convincing for the Fighters Pass. Maybe not specifically “us” as Geno supporters in this thread, but the “us” of collective posters on the internet and are more likely to be in threads voting in these big polls most of the time.

I just think the first point is assuming too much and I disagree that the advertising playing into Square’s advantage elsewhere is such a big strike against him. And also disagree on the point that Geno is necessary to instill confidence in a Fighter Pass that is likely to sell anyway and I’m convinced there are other options from Square that will drum up hype for the DLC season. And this isn’t just Sora either, some crazy left field picks could just as easily excite the community cause honestly we’re a pretty excitable community by nature and we love to accept characters once we see them in action. I highly doubt that will change with DLC.

I still lean about 70% in favor of us getting Geno just because I do agree there are things pointing in his favor and he should conceivably be an easy win. I just don’t know if I agree with the broader assumptions you’re making about costs and mindsets of both Nintendo and fellow Smash consumers. Geno being an easy win doesn’t necessarily mean much though, we’ve had easier wins before and still seen nothing of them (Shadow and Isaac will forever be the two that come to mind).

As for a point on the holy trinity. I’d disagree on the consistency of it until Ultimate. The minute Mewtwo got dropped from Brawl he dominated the third slot of speculation. I quite well remember the expectations for the trio of Mewtwo, Ridley, and King K Rool for Smash 4 and how often those three were sighted as a place of disappointment upon Smash 4’s release. I’d also contend initially King K Rool didn’t have the popularity until a post Diddy world, so he didn’t really pick up steam until probably Smash 4. Ridley and Geno had support pre-Brawl. And Geno also really struggled during the Smash 4 speculation scene.

I will agree that they were the three of the old guard of requests coming into Ultimate with Isaac as a close fourth. They were the most notable requests with a longer history of fan demand dating back to Brawl. So they became a defacto trinity in that sense. I don’t know if the trinity is nearly as reliable as people make it out to be as I mentioned before though.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
So , given the actual situation , under the assumption that the first DLC is a SE rep because of Vergeben , Geno seem the most likely.

That's something that DQ/Sora supporters should understand , or even other fanbase as a whole. All speculation right now isn't "There could be a SE rep so who it is ?" for Geno.

Because if it was just a SE rep down the Line , I could see a DQ rep coming because a main DQ game could come the Switch. Or even Sora , if they somehow do a pocket edition of KH3 despise what the KH3 dev Team said.

And they don't have an "iconic" stature. (Neither does Geno.) Dragon quest is very old and huge in Japan , but lack world-wide appeal. If you're an icon , you're pretty much knowed everywhere. That's not DQ case , and other than slime , it lack the "Mr./Ms. Dragon quest." character.

Sora beeing iconic would be making him as important as , let's Say , Sonic the Hedgehog or Cloud Strife.

Characters that symbolise a franchise that had a Big impact on gaming (and by that , I mean BIG IMPACT. Gameplay elements that are used even to this day.), are old enough and are still an on-going franchise/or had a Good life , and are characters that even people who don't play video games should somewhat recognize are iconic.
Even Cloud is still "Mr.Final Fantasy Guy" for them.
And Sonic is the old rival of Mario , one of the oldest plateforming mascotts , still has new games to this day , he's iconic for that + he's well knowed even with people who don't play video games.

DQ is multi-platforms , and Sora main games are on PS2/3/4 , even his Nintendo exclusive were remastered for Sony consoles.

Geno , DQ , and Sora aren't iconic characters.

DQ and Sora aren't so close to Nintendo that they are Nintendo franchises/characters , like Banjo-Kazooie or Sonic was , at a time.

However , Geno is a Mario character. He's not the BIGGEST MARIO CHARACTER OF ALL-TIME , no , let's not be ridiculous.

Geno character symbolyse SMRPG , and how well Mario work as a RPG.

He symbolyse this , the creation of Mario RPGs (SMRPG , M&L , PM).
Even if it isn't their biggest franchises , the Mario RPGs are still kicking to this day , and are pretty old as well.
They are also not represented by a character in Smash , they only had 2 music tracks back in Sm4sh , and in Ultimate , some Spirits.

Simply speaking , Geno is the perfect candidate to represent the Mario RPGs. And that's not counting the huge following he has since Brawl , Sakurai and Nintendo know the requests.
He fit in in Smash , design wise , and history wise.

Given the current situation , and the first DLC beeing a SE rep , Geno has way more going for him than his candidates.

There , I know his chances have been talked about to death , but I think this point of view wasn't talked about a lot.

D

Deleted member

Where did Hitagi say they had false info? May I please have a link to where they said that?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When joking on here, please make sure to use this: :4pacman:. This was your friendly PSA for today.

So , given the actual situation , under the assumption that the first DLC is a SE rep because of Vergeben , Geno seem the most likely.

That's something that DQ/Sora supporters should understand , or even other fanbase as a whole. All speculation right now isn't "There could be a SE rep so who it is ?" for Geno.

Because if it was just a SE rep down the Line , I could see a DQ rep coming because a main DQ game could come the Switch. Or even Sora , if they somehow do a pocket edition of KH3 despise what the KH3 dev Team said.

And they don't have an "iconic" stature. (Neither does Geno.) Dragon quest is very old and huge in Japan , but lack world-wide appeal. If you're an icon , you're pretty much knowed everywhere. That's not DQ case , and other than slime , it lack the "Mr./Ms. Dragon quest." character.

Sora beeing iconic would be making him as important as , let's Say , Sonic the Hedgehog or Cloud Strife.

Characters that symbolise a franchise that had a Big impact on gaming (and by that , I mean BIG IMPACT. Gameplay elements that are used even to this day.), are old enough and are still an on-going franchise/or had a Good life , and are characters that even people who don't play video games should somewhat recognize are iconic.
Even Cloud is still "Mr.Final Fantasy Guy" for them.
And Sonic is the old rival of Mario , one of the oldest plateforming mascotts , still has new games to this day , he's iconic for that + he's well knowed even with people who don't play video games.

DQ is multi-platforms , and Sora main games are on PS2/3/4 , even his Nintendo exclusive were remastered for Sony consoles.

Geno , DQ , and Sora aren't iconic characters.

DQ and Sora aren't so close to Nintendo that they are Nintendo franchises/characters , like Banjo-Kazooie or Sonic was , at a time.

However , Geno is a Mario character. He's not the BIGGEST MARIO CHARACTER OF ALL-TIME , no , let's not be ridiculous.

Geno character symbolyse SMRPG , and how well Mario work as a RPG.

He symbolyse this , the creation of Mario RPGs (SMRPG , M&L , PM).
Even if it isn't their biggest franchises , the Mario RPGs are still kicking to this day , and are pretty old as well.
They are also not represented by a character in Smash , they only had 2 music tracks back in Sm4sh , and in Ultimate , some Spirits.

Simply speaking , Geno is the perfect candidate to represent the Mario RPGs. And that's not counting the huge following he has since Brawl , Sakurai and Nintendo know the requests.
He fit in in Smash , design wise , and history wise.

Given the current situation , and the first DLC beeing a SE rep , Geno has way more going for him than his candidates.

There , I know his chances have been talked about to death , but I think this point of view wasn't talked about a lot.
Really, with that put into consideration, Geno's only real competition is Lara Croft, THE Tomb Raider, and one of the most popular heroines of gaming. And even then they'd need to go abroad to Crystal Dynamics for negotiations.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
The only ones they’d make money off of? We’ve got nothing to remotely prove that other than some major guesswork. Like that takes lots of leaps in saying we know how these major companies would operate in specific ways to make such a claim. Plus any in-house Square character would then theoretically under this model be as profitable as Geno or Mallow. Saying they’re the only profitable Square characters for Nintendo is way too big of a leap to make.

I have this same attitude with Banjo, who I’ve also never found super likely. Dealing with a third party means you’re playing with such different rules that trying to assume what that means in each individual context just shouldn’t be done. There’s just way too much nuance that we’ll never even see unless Sakurai tells us directly and even then, he’s not the one steering this ship completely with regards to DLC.

As for Kingdom Hearts being on a competitor’s console right now and not having appeared in recent memory... isn’t that using relevancy against Sora when talking about Geno a little bit? And doesn’t Cloud make short work of this argument too seeing as a Final Fantasy VII Remake wasn’t even announced to have relations to Nintendo when he came out? Plus it’s a character get for Nintendo while advertising something Square can make money off of both with Nintendo’s deal and increased exposure to Kingdom Hearts in general, which would probably be the biggest win in general for them while still giving Nintendo a serious win too.

Look, I know there’s this idea here that Sora isn’t a good idea for Smash, but he’d definitely be a recognizable enough character for people to buy or trust the Fighters Pass with. I don’t know where this notion of Geno being such an important show of faith that Sora couldn’t possibly be, but I seriously think he could be just as notable and encouraging. I hate to say it, but most of us big Smash fans who comprise the more core lineup of requests are going to probably buy the DLC anyway. I know that doesn’t necessarily apply to everyone, but there’s an increased chance that we’ll either buy it because we’re getting more Smash content in the form of characters and stages, or that how sakurai interprets a character will convince us enough of things we otherwise didn’t know we wanted.

In short, we’re one of the demographics with the least need of convincing for the Fighters Pass. Maybe not specifically “us” as Geno supporters in this thread, but the “us” of collective posters on the internet and are more likely to be in threads voting in these big polls most of the time.

I just think the first point is assuming too much and I disagree that the advertising playing into Square’s advantage elsewhere is such a big strike against him. And also disagree on the point that Geno is necessary to instill confidence in a Fighter Pass that is likely to sell anyway and I’m convinced there are other options from Square that will drum up hype for the DLC season. And this isn’t just Sora either, some crazy left field picks could just as easily excite the community cause honestly we’re a pretty excitable community by nature and we love to accept characters once we see them in action. I highly doubt that will change with DLC.

I still lean about 70% in favor of us getting Geno just because I do agree there are things pointing in his favor and he should conceivably be an easy win. I just don’t know if I agree with the broader assumptions you’re making about costs and mindsets of both Nintendo and fellow Smash consumers. Geno being an easy win doesn’t necessarily mean much though, we’ve had easier wins before and still seen nothing of them (Shadow and Isaac will forever be the two that come to mind).

As for a point on the holy trinity. I’d disagree on the consistency of it until Ultimate. The minute Mewtwo got dropped from Brawl he dominated the third slot of speculation. I quite well remember the expectations for the trio of Mewtwo, Ridley, and King K Rool for Smash 4 and how often those three were sighted as a place of disappointment upon Smash 4’s release. I’d also contend initially King K Rool didn’t have the popularity until a post Diddy world, so he didn’t really pick up steam until probably Smash 4. Ridley and Geno had support pre-Brawl. And Geno also really struggled during the Smash 4 speculation scene.

I will agree that they were the three of the old guard of requests coming into Ultimate with Isaac as a close fourth. They were the most notable requests with a longer history of fan demand dating back to Brawl. So they became a defacto trinity in that sense. I don’t know if the trinity is nearly as reliable as people make it out to be as I mentioned before though.
Having Sora revealed as DLC too close to KH3’s launch could actually end up being bad for Square as well, as it could cause potential newcomers to the series to hold off on getting it because of a predicted Switch version that will likely never happen, but seems possible because of Sora in Smash.

Also, FFVII Remake had that whole “First on Playstation” thing, which at the time theoretically meant that anything was possible. With KH3, you plain can’t run it on Switch, making such a wait quite futile.

And again, it’s worth noting that Disney has so far never let Sora be permanent DLC in anything, it’s always been limited engagements, which would certainly be an issue for Smash.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Having Sora revealed as DLC too close to KH3’s launch could actually end up being bad for Square as well, as it could cause potential newcomers to the series to hold off on getting it because of a predicted Switch version that will likely never happen, but seems possible because of Sora in Smash.

Also, FFVII Remake had that whole “First on Playstation” thing, which at the time theoretically meant that anything was possible. With KH3, you plain can’t run it on Switch, making such a wait quite futile.

And again, it’s worth noting that Disney has so far never let Sora be permanent DLC in anything, it’s always been limited engagements, which would certainly be an issue for Smash.
Oh I admit that Sora certainly has issues as well. Don’t get me wrong, he’s got a lot riding against him. I just don’t know if that’s enough to outright consider him such a non-opponent.

The whole waiting for a Switch version thing seems unlikely. They have stated they don’t have any intentions for a Switch for one thing. Could be PR jargon for all we know, but is likely the truth as well. But I don’t see that many sales being held back. Anecdotally you’ll have a decent portion of then Switch subreddit to back you up though...

But a lot of places are multi consoles households nowadays too, and then PS4 has a pretty massive and widespread player base to work with. People can find the game if they’re interested not too far, and even more convientently all the prior stuff wrapped up in The Story So Far collection. I don’t really see any chance for Sora in Smash to seriously reflect negatively on Square is really what I’m getting at.

I’m not sure it’s impossible to run Kingdom Hearts 3 on Switch. They seem to be targeting higher than 30 FPS and designing it much better than Final Fantasy XV, so maybe in theory. I would have told you Doom was impossible too, but here we are. I seriously doubt it can as well as it needs to or that Square would care enough to invest in such a port though, but we don’t know for certain on that either. I’m certainly not expecting it and I lean towards it not happening or being conceivable.

I took one look at the FF VII remake and said the same thing though..:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
2 things:

Cloud was added because It's freaking Cloud Strife , a gaming icon we thought was impossible.
That alone was enough. Sakurai picked him because he think he's the face of Final Fantasy , the biggest RPG franchise ever , and with a lot of games on Nintendo system.

Cloud didn't need a new game to be added in Smash.

We COULD get KH3 on Switch.
There are 2 possibles scenarios :

-A pocket edition a la FF15 on Switch.

-The KH3 dev Team is just lying about not wanting to port KH3 to the Switch for the moment. I don't think the Switch hardware power is the is issue. They can ajust the game to work on the Switch.

The biggest problem is... Could they do it for around february of 2019 ? Or have a secret KH game in the work ?

At least , DQ11 will be released next year in Japan for Switch.
Heck , they could even translate DQ10 and call it a day if they want to !

Add this + the fact that Sora isn't iconic (By iconic , I mean to the level of characters like Sonic or Pikachu.) + The difficulties to get him + confusing people over a potential Switch port + LITTERALY PROMOTING A COMPETITOR'S FRANCHISE (Sorry if I sound aggressive , but that's a Big point against Sora.) , ect...

Picking Sora would be needlessly complicated just to gain "Wowie KH in Smash buy Sora plsssss" on a Kotaku headline. There , nothing more. Because if they want profit , they have the DLCs sales... And that's it. No games for Switch. Or 3DS.

When a less knowed character is put in Smash (first party or third party) It's to make them more popular and push their franchises...

Sora will do that.

But Sony win. Because every KH game is on their system.

Nintendo lose , they got nothing. Good day sir.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
This is where it shows how you haven't been around for that long. Yes it is true Geno didn't have a ton of support for smash 4 (because we were basically kicked in the balls after brawl). But Geno had way more support than K. Rool did during the Brawl days. K. Rool only started gaining a ton of steam once he hadn't been in a DKC game for almost a decade. Before that, he was popular but honestly people weren't begging for him.

To be honest, it's K. Rool that was just put into the Trinity pictures by default. Ridley and Geno were in those trinity photoshops going back 10 years and the 3rd character was always changing. At one point it was Ridley/Geno/Mega Man and even Krystal and then eventually K. Rool was added literally just this hype season for Ultimate.

It seems like for some reason you are posting copy/pasted quotes from random users from other forums who joined a couple years ago.

Take it from me as someone who has been around forever. Geno has been in demand for Smash MUCH longer than K. Rool. K. Rool only became mega popular once 20 other Nintendo characters got in first and people were confused about why K. Rool hadn't been in a game for 10 years.

That joke wasn't hard to detect at all lmao

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If Geno got in, what victory theme would he have? Would it be the same as Mario's? Would it be the battle victory theme from SMRPG? Or would it be something else?
https://smashboards.com/threads/kin...-recruiting-people-for-kremling-power.126104/

This is the K Rool thread for Brawl.

I was one of the first people to post in that thread, and I was one of the last people to post in that thread.

The thread only had 27 pages.

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-official-geno-thread.72298/page-441

That is the Geno thread in Brawl. 441 pages.

We're hoping to beat that. We probably are going to

---

The most common fight in Brawl was Geno vs Ridley. We fought all the time. It was fun. Geno and Ridley had around the same power in the Brawl days. I was a fan of Ridley though, so I was in relative friendly terms with Ridley supporters.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
We're hoping to beat that. We probably are going to
Probably? This thread is on FIRE. It's going to hit 441 pages before the new year. At least, that's my bet.

Has anyone else seen Delzethin's Geno video? it's pretty cool. Geno would be unique in the sense that not only is he a mage, but he can alternate the properties of his attacks to different settings, just like Ryu and Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom