• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I finally got around to playing Mario RPG for the first time. Just got to Booster Tower. I'm loving the game.

Would totally be down for Geno as DLC now
Ooooo, who do you use in battle AND which is your favorite area in the game? I can't tell you which area is my #1 favorite since you haven't been there yet; it's my favorite chapter in the story, but I'll censor it for now... it's N****s L***. Before Booster Tower, my favorite areas that you've been through are the Forest Maze (duh!) and Moleville.

I know I asked this question before, but there was not much discussion about it. If we got a whole bunch of SMRPG spirits to come along with Geno, what would be there functions and/or fighters they would inhabit?
Definitely expect to see Mallow. Now, who looks like a fluffy cloud that can mimic Mallow? Definitely the white-colored Kirby or Jigglypuff.
Here's some examples I made. No, not all of them could be chosen, but here's a few that could work as spirits:

Mallow - Kirby or Jigglypuff
Frogfucious - Greninja (Green colored)
Croco - King K. Rool (Purple colored)
Boshi - Yoshi (Blue colored)
Booster - Wario
Belome - Duck Hunt Trio
King Calamari - Inkling
Jonathan Jones - Not sure who'd work for this one, honestly.
Jinx - Ken or Ryu (They gotta be tiny)
Valentina - Palutena
Czar Dragon - Ridley (Red colored)
Boomer - Meta Knight
Smithy - R.O.B. (He's gotta be big)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"So I got everything wrong but Steve is still in please trust me guise xd"
Sounds like his main source got leak baited and is probably hooked up to a car battery in Reggie's basement right about now. Still curious about his confidence in Steve although it could be a ruse and he is just trying to pull out because was in over his head with the Smash community.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ooooo, who do you use in battle AND which is your favorite area in the game? I can't tell you which area is my #1 favorite since you haven't been there yet; it's my favorite chapter in the story, but I'll censor it for now... it's N****s L***. Before Booster Tower, my favorite areas that you've been through are the Forest Maze (duh!) and Moleville.

Definitely expect to see Mallow. Now, who looks like a fluffy cloud that can mimic Mallow? Definitely the white-colored Kirby or Jigglypuff.
Here's some examples I made. No, not all of them could be chosen, but here's a few that could work as spirits:

Mallow - Kirby or Jigglypuff
Frogfucious - Greninja (Green colored)
Croco - King K. Rool (Purple colored)
Boshi - Yoshi (Blue colored)
Booster - Wario
Belome - Duck Hunt Trio
King Calamari - Inkling
Jonathan Jones - Not sure who'd work for this one, honestly.
Jinx - Ken or Ryu (They gotta be tiny)
Valentina - Palutena
Czar Dragon - Ridley (Red colored)
Boomer - Meta Knight
Smithy - R.O.B. (He's gotta be big)
I agree with a lot of these, but I personally would make Smithy a metal King Dedede.

dreamstar_g

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7952 9587 6387
I know I asked this question before, but there was not much discussion about it. If we got a whole bunch of SMRPG spirits to come along with Geno, what would be there functions and/or fighters they would inhabit?
Mallow over Cloud would be hilarious. Also HP Rain but in Smash as gradual healing in battle?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
If you don’t mind me asking was it through a PC emulator or SNES Classic or something else?
SNES classic. All I have is a ****ty Mac laptop lol

Just finished Booster Tower/Marrymore and it was really fun! That was probably my favorite so far. It reminded me of Fort Francis in Super Paper Mario.

And yeah Moleville was really cool! I love when Mario RPGs get weird and creative

Though I wasn’t the biggest fan of Forest Maze just because I hate video game mazes lol but Geno’a whole introduction was very cool. Him and Mallow have so much personality

And then for battle I tend to stick with Mallow (for the hp rain) with Geno and Bowser swapping out

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I really wish that people would stop trying to put Geno on the same pedestal as other characters like K. Rool, who has appeared in far more games, was the main villain, and starred in a cartoon. If Geno is truly worthy of being in Smash, he should be able to stand on his own merits without taking the spotlight from someone else.
I didn't even say Geno is on par with K. Rool involving appearances and stuff, I just said he's got a lot in common with King K. Rool. They're considered irrelevant, aren't used by their owners, have high demand in the Smash community, and both started their careers on the SNES. King K. Rool is more popular outside of the Smash community compared to Geno, I know that's true, but King K. Rool and Geno have the same amount of high demand in the Smash community. They're considered the impossible due to their relevancy, ownership, or size, which is why Ridley fits in with the impossible characters, as well. This is why we call them the "holy trinity". I can tell you WHY these three are called the holy trinity and why they fit this "impossible" category.

Ridley - Size
For Ridley, it was his size that made him impossible. Ridley was relevant, had the moveset, was a highly recognized antagonist, and was perfect for Smash. The only thing that was his downside was that he was 4 meters tall, but in the NES version, he was about the same size as Samus. This is what Ridley's appearance in Ultimate derived from, his NES version. This is why we considered him impossible. Though, never have I been so happy to see Ridley in Smash. I knew were were in for some good treats, presumably someone like King K. Rool.

King K. Rool - Relevancy
For King K. Rool, it was his relevancy because his appearances died down after Donkey Kong 64. He was the main antagonists in Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3, and Donkey Kong 64. After the King's defeat in DK64, he didn't reappear too often. After Rare was bought by Microsoft in 2002, we didn't know what would happen the Donkey Kong characters. Luckily, we got them but they seemed different after Rare didn't work with them anymore. K. Rool did appear in a few other games after Rare left Nintendo, but he wasn't necessarily the "villain". Now Retro Studios works with the Donkey Kong characters, but because they wanted to create their own characters, they decided to make new villains and not use King K. Rool at all. King K. Rool's latest appearance was in a Mario spin-off game, it's quite crazy to see a major DK character have his final appearance in a MARIO spin-off. After all the new DK games made by Retro Studios, K. Rool just never seemed to show up anymore. Eventually, this led to K. Rool's relevancy for Smash Brothers, and this is why he was considered impossible. Now that he came back due to our huge fan demand, we may see him more in future DK games because Retro Studios will finally realize that he means a lot to us. Now that King K. Rool made it in, the 2nd character of the 3 most highly requested characters in all of Smash came, which means we had hope for Geno, AND we still do with all this evidence.

Geno - Ownership
While relevancy is also one of Geno's issues, it's mostly because of his ownership with Square. Think about it, if Nintendo owned Geno, he definitely would be in many Mario RPG titles, Mario spin-offs, and especially Mario sports spin-offs. I know for a fact if Geno and Mallow were owned by Nintendo, we DEFINITELY would've seen them in Mario Power Tennis on the GameCube. I know if Nintendo owned Geno, he wouldn't have made it in Melee, but he definitely would've made it in Brawl, because Dr. Mario was cut and there were no new Mario reps in Brawl, so Geno OR Mallow definitely would've been there. If Geno was used more than just two times, then relevancy wouldn't be his problem. But because Geno is owned by Square Enix, one of the most stingiest, strict, difficult gaming companies in the world, it just seemed like it was impossible to get him in Smash because Square didn't care about him, even though he's got the same amount of demand as King K. Rool and Ridley, it just couldn't happen... hence why he fits the holy trinity of the impossible characters. However, there was hope. Cloud's inclusion opened the gate for Geno, and this is presumably his final shot to make it in Super Smash Brothers. To this day, I have no clue why Square didn't give the SMRPG characters to Nintendo, considering that they don't even use them nor like them because those characters remind them of Nintendo.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I didn't even say Geno is on par with K. Rool involving appearances and stuff, I just said he's got a lot in common with King K. Rool. They're considered irrelevant, aren't used by their owners, have high demand in the Smash community, and both started their careers on the SNES. King K. Rool is more popular outside of the Smash community compared to Geno, I know that's true, but King K. Rool and Geno have the same amount of high demand in the Smash community. They're considered the impossible due to their relevancy, ownership, or size, which is why Ridley fits in with the impossible characters, as well. This is why we call them the "holy trinity". I can tell you WHY these three are called the holy trinity and why they fit this "impossible" category.

Ridley - Size
For Ridley, it was his size that made him impossible. Ridley was relevant, had the moveset, was a highly recognized antagonist, and was perfect for Smash. The only thing that was his downside was that he was 4 meters tall, but in the NES version, he was about the same size as Samus. This is what Ridley's appearance in Ultimate derived from, his NES version. This is why we considered him impossible. Though, never have I been so happy to see Ridley in Smash. I knew were were in for some good treats, presumably someone like King K. Rool.

King K. Rool - Relevancy
For King K. Rool, it was his relevancy because his appearances died down after Donkey Kong 64. He was the main antagonists in Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3, and Donkey Kong 64. After the King's defeat in DK64, he didn't reappear too often. After Rare was bought by Microsoft in 2002, we didn't know what would happen the Donkey Kong characters. Luckily, we got them but they seemed different after Rare didn't work with them anymore. K. Rool did appear in a few other games after Rare left Nintendo, but he wasn't necessarily the "villain". Now Retro Studios works with the Donkey Kong characters, but because they wanted to create their own characters, they decided to make new villains and not use King K. Rool at all. King K. Rool's latest appearance was in a Mario spin-off game, it's quite crazy to see a major DK character have his final appearance in a MARIO spin-off. After all the new DK games made by Retro Studios, K. Rool just never seemed to show up anymore. Eventually, this led to K. Rool's relevancy for Smash Brothers, and this is why he was considered impossible. Now that he came back due to our huge fan demand, we may see him more in future DK games because Retro Studios will finally realize that he means a lot to us. Now that King K. Rool made it in, the 2nd character of the 3 most highly requested characters in all of Smash came, which means we had hope for Geno, AND we still do with all this evidence.

Geno - Ownership
While relevancy is also one of Geno's issues, it's mostly because of his ownership with Square. Think about it, if Nintendo owned Geno, he definitely would be in many Mario RPG titles, Mario spin-offs, and especially Mario sports spin-offs. I know for a fact if Geno and Mallow were owned by Nintendo, we DEFINITELY would've seen them in Mario Power Tennis on the GameCube. I know if Nintendo owned Geno, he wouldn't have made it in Melee, but he definitely would've made it in Brawl, because Dr. Mario was cut and there were no new Mario reps in Brawl, so Geno OR Mallow definitely would've been there. If Geno was used more than just two times, then relevancy wouldn't be his problem. But because Geno is owned by Square Enix, one of the most stingiest, strict, difficult gaming companies in the world, it just seemed like it was impossible to get him in Smash because Square didn't care about him, even though he's got the same amount of demand as King K. Rool and Ridley, it just couldn't happen... hence why he fits the holy trinity of the impossible characters. However, there was hope. Cloud's inclusion opened the gate for Geno, and this is presumably his final shot to make it in Super Smash Brothers. To this day, I have no clue why Square didn't give the SMRPG characters to Nintendo, considering that they don't even use them nor like them because those characters remind them of Nintendo.
I suppose I understand. Although, I'm curious about this whole "trinity". Did K. Rool fans, Ridley fans, and Geno fans all come to a consensus that these are the "Big 3"? I ask because I see this trinity mainly brought up by Geno fans now and less so by the others.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I suppose I understand. Although, I have just one more question. Did K. Rool fans, Ridley fans, and Geno fans all come to a consensus that these are the "Big 3"? I ask because I see this trinity mainly brought up by Geno fans now and less so by the others.
I'm a King K. Rool fan and I believe that's what most of the community agreed upon. TerminalMontage TerminalMontage is mostly a fan of Geno, but I believe he's a fan of all three of them.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I suppose I understand. Although, I have just one more question. Did K. Rool fans, Ridley fans, and Geno fans all come to a consensus that these are the "Big 3"? I ask because I see this trinity mainly brought up by Geno fans now and less so by the others.
It might be that the "Big 3" is a bit nebulous without an exact consensus, but it also shifts as new characters make it. For a long time, Mewtwo (returning after Brawl), K. Rool, and Ridley were considered the big three among those fanbases, fans of each often getting along and having solidarity with each other. Well, they're all here now, and so there must be a new big three. That said it may be a bit early to decide who those 3 are now that the original big 3 were all fulfilled just recently.

*EDIT* Still, if I had to throw my speculative hat into the ring, I might predict the next goalposts would be Geno (to which I admittedly have some bias), and Isaac (No connection to the character, but the fan base is huge and he well deserves it.). I'm not too sure who the third one would be right now though.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm a King K. Rool fan and I believe that's what most of the community agreed upon. TerminalMontage TerminalMontage is mostly a fan of Geno, but I believe he's a fan of all three of them.
SO, my brot

It might be that the "Big 3" is a bit nebulous without an exact consensus, but it also shifts as new characters make it. For a long time, Mewtwo (returning after Brawl), K. Rool, and Ridley were considered the big three among those fanbases, fans of each often getting along and having solidarity with each other. Well, they're all here now, and so there must be a new big three. That said it may be a bit early to decide who those 3 are now that the original big 3 were all fulfilled just recently.
I see. Thanks for explaining it to me.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I see. Thanks for explaining it to me.
I forgot to include these two articles:

"There's no doubt that these two have been heavily requested for a long, long time now. You could say that Ridley, King K. Rool, and Geno were basically seen as impossibilities despite their enormous fan support."
SOURCE: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...ridley-be-playable-super-smash-bros-ultimate/

"Throughout Smash Bros. history, three characters' names in particular always seem to ring louder than any others. You probably know this already, but those three characters are: Metroid's Ridley, Donkey Kong Country's King K. Rool, and Super Mario RPG's Geno."
SOURCE: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...i-go-hat-trick-and-add-super-mario-rpgs-geno/

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
So after recent events regarding Cloud likely being picked last I have changed my stance and now think Geno is in fact the most likely SE rep.

I imagine SE was really hard to deal with to get all the rights from the DLC back and I can 100% imagine a scenario in which SE only let Sakurai have the rights again if they were guaranteed a DLC character.

After all this I seriously see Nintendo being unwilling to go through complex negotiations again especially since Dragon Quest is a copyright mess and Sora is involved with Disney.

In comparison they have the rights to use Geno as seen with the spirit/token/whatever it is that we have already seen. It appears to me that the SE character rights they have are the same ones from Smash 4.

Oh and also Geno was in a Mario game and probably did well on the ballot so there is that and if he does get in it gives a chance that Nintendo is looking at the ballot for DLC however I must admit I can easily see Geno being the exception not the rule.

So yea, I can't believe I gave him a 5% rating less than a week ago wow.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Concerning the potiental SMRPG Spirits...

I would like to see Yaridovich. He was my favorite boss gameplay and design wise. I don't know how his battle in Smash could be tho...
But Bowyer and Smithy seem like the most popular SMRPGs boss. I also rarely see Mack getting talked about. His army of pogo sticks Shy Guy was hilarious to me , haha

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's sad, would love to see the possible creative scenarios they could make with the spirits. Then I guess the better question is what you guys would make if they were battles? Even if it's not happening, its fun to think about. And I certainly think this thread needs something fun for a change, at least for a little bit.
I could see a Mallow battle consisting of him somehow possessing both Pikachu and the Ice Climbers, to do lightning and snow-themed attacks.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Happy ThanksGeno! Genosgiving! GenoGeno! Thanksgiving! GIMME THAT GENO DLC NINTENDO!!!!!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Smash Bros creates a story about puppets being possessed by spirits

...Doesn't add Geno

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace

I would like to see Yaridovich. He was my favorite boss gameplay and design wise. I don't know how his battle in Smash could be tho...
But Bowyer and Smithy seem like the most popular SMRPGs boss. I also rarely see Mack getting talked about. His army of pogo sticks Shy Guy was hilarious to me , haha
Yaridovich was my favorite because of the location of the battle against him and how I used to struggle against fighting him when I was younger. He's like the General Grievous of Mario Bros. (or rather, General Grievous is the Yaridovich of Star Wars). Also it's kind of funny one of his big attacks is water blast when he himself probably has a weakness for water since he mentions rusting a little should he swim to escape from Mario and company.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
We're in a really good spot right now as a fanbase and, like I've been bemoaning for months now, this tower is being built so damn tall that it's exciting and nerve wracking. A ton of great info in support of Geno has dropped this week and let me post a recap:

-600+ spirits shown off, still no Geno with strong evidence that, even if he does pop up, he'd literally be the only Square Enix spirit.

-Evidence that Square Enix is very difficult to work with to the point where Cloud was the last veteran added, casting even more strong doubt on Geno's competition. Geno's still in despite this implying deals made during SSB4 were either carried over or renewed.

-More evidence that Polar Panda's source knows what they're talking about, being correct about information they said back in early September (still embargoed so I can't say what).

-New Sakurai interview where he pretty much drives a stake in the heart of that old vampire that only modernly relevant main characters of the big franchises are considered.

-Hitagi bows out, taking with him Dragon Quest and Granblue. papagenos papagenos is absolved as Hitagi's source is ironically hardcore leak baited.

In short, it's been an amazing three days for us.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

I'd love to see Jonathan Jones, he is my Favourite Character from the game. A one by one? Captain vs Leader? MANO A MANO, HERE AND NOW. Hell I love the guy, and then he helped you out with Yaridovich because he gave you the star piece? Hell he's a real men, I just love the character concept.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
We're in a really good spot right now as a fanbase and, like I've been bemoaning for months now, this tower is being built so damn tall that it's exciting and nerve wracking. A ton of great info in support of Geno has dropped this week and let me post a recap:

-600+ spirits shown off, still no Geno with strong evidence that, even if he does pop up, he'd literally be the only Square Enix spirit.

-Evidence that Square Enix is very difficult to work with to the point where Cloud was the last veteran added, casting even more strong doubt on Geno's competition. Geno's still in despite this implying deals made during SSB4 were either carried over or renewed.

-More evidence that Polar Panda's source knows what they're talking about, being correct about information they said back in early September (still embargoed so I can't say what).

-New Sakurai interview where he pretty much drives a stake in the heart of that old vampire that only modernly relevant main characters of the big franchises are considered.

-Hitagi bows out, taking with him Dragon Quest and Granblue. papagenos papagenos is absolved as Hitagi's source is ironically hardcore leak baited.

Luigi The President Luigi The President We've been going good so far with this news right here, I think now's a time that is good for you to come in to see what's new and for it to hopefully get your hopes up a bit lol.

You said to summon you when things weren't crazy, so that too.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Happy Thanksgiving, to those that celebrate it.
If you don't, happy day to you, anyway!

I find Belome such a weird character that I'd like to see it get a little more recognition. I could imagine a Spirit Battle involving either yellow Kirby or Isabelle.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
As for me, I'd love to get Croco some recognition. There are other awesome characters too, but, I don't know, everythime I see Croco seems that he takes it personal, lol.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Who is lady Lima people are saying she is a source but I never heard of her.
It's a joke. I asked PolarPanda PolarPanda , the one who gets the sources, knows a Nintendo ambassador and I asked if the Nintendo ambassador was the Beanbean Kingdom's goodwill ambassador, Lady Lima. I guess for a codename we can call the ambassador "Lady Lima"?

Example: "Hey PolarPanda, has Lady Lima told you any new info yet?"

Damn straight. I also ran into another guy who thinks DQ and Sora is more likely than Geno. Better go give him some info from our 2-weeks-worth evidence paragraph.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would like to see people give more recognition to Hinopio. He's so different in look from the other Toads that it's not even funny. Also, anyone that owns F-Zero machine models is cool.

Oh, and Booster, the not-Wario.

I find Belome such a weird character that I'd like to see it get a little more recognition. I could imagine a Spirit Battle involving either yellow Kirby or Isabelle.
Thanks to him, we found out :ultpeach:'s actual name.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I would like to see people give more recognition to Hinopio. He's so different in look from the other Toads that it's not even funny. Also, anyone that owns F-Zero machine models is cool.
Hinopio for next F-Zero! (Or rather, Next F-Zero for Next F-Zero, period...)

There are so many weird characters from Super Mario RPG that need to come back in some form. I like that even the non-Smithy characters seem like they come from an entirely different universe (the Square one, I guess.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hinopio for next F-Zero! (Or rather, Next F-Zero for Next F-Zero, period...)

There are so many weird characters from Super Mario RPG that need to come back in some form. I like that even the non-Smithy characters seem like they come from an entirely different universe (the Square one, I guess.)
Funny you say that, because Culex is basically ripped straight out of one. Pity we never found out what Square universe he was a part of...

This did allow people to do creative liberties with the RPG Armageddon hack, though.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I've said it before but I agree with Belome. You don't even kill him, he basically just gets hungry and leaves, which is funny in its own right. Super Mario RPG easily had the most colorful, interesting, and memorable villians of the Mario RPGs aside from Super Paper Mario and the best side characters aside from TTYD.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

I don't know why , but this gameplay video of the Geno Legacy XP made me nostalgic lol

Also , I see a lot of fan moveset with Geno tilts beeing "disjoints". It is a good concept in my opinion , there aren't a lot of character in Smash that can separate a body part from their body and attack with it. They often use a weapon.
But seriously , I Hope that if Geno beam is his neutral-b , we could stock it like Samus charge shot. Like yeah , It's basically a mini Samus Final Smash , but if you can't move while charging it , you better hope your opponent has his Shield broken , or that you're godlike at covering landings. Even if your opponent is at the ledge , there is a clear indication of when the attack will be released , so they can time their ledges options according to that.

Also , if Geno whirl is his side-B , and can bounce out of walls , I'm so going to go off-stage and do stupid angles with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom