• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
Hey guys I am a fellow supporter from the Isaac thread and I want to start giving my best support for the star savior puppet too! I voted for geno back on the ballot and have wanted him in for a long time since brawl just like Isaac. I hope he gets to be the square enix representative in the upcoming dlc!

On a serious note I have been hearing so many rumors of a DQ character getting in as the square rep alongside possibly Sora from kingdom hearts given that relevance of KH 3. Do you guys think Geno will still be the one to make it having to face these two titans?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That is literally what I said in my post and entirely my point. There is nothing new from the latest interview.

Also, do you really think Piranha Plant is going to make people buy the game who wouldn't have otherwise? LOL. Piranha Plant doesn't even give close to the incentive that Mewtwo did to buy the game early
It is a gift when its the biggest game on the system for the holiday system. I don't feel like there would be that much of a difference in sales numbers, and Piranha Plant is certainly not a character that people would naturally say "Oh, I can't have this game without him!"
It’s not about getting people who wouldn’t buy the game to buy it, it’s about getting people to buy it as fast as possible. Execs get bonuses if they manage to hit certain sales targets. And the game being frontloaded in sales might lead to good headlines (‘Smash Ultimate the best selling same for all of December and all of January!’) and that in turn might drive people to decide to follow suit. It’s all about traction.

Piranha Plant is a known-enough commodity that it would make sense to include as an incentive, while not demanded enough so that they’re not missing out on many sales. (And even then, I’m sure they know they’re still going to recoup costs from after Jan 31st purchases)

It’s naive to think we’re getting a free character with no benefit to Nintendo.

On a serious note I have been hearing so many rumors of a DQ character getting in as the square rep alongside possibly Sora from kingdom hearts given that relevance of KH 3. Do you guys think Geno will still be the one to make it having to face these two titans?
I think you might have struck a nerve there.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
tbh we won't know who the Square Enix character is until it's revealed, supposedly SE is really paranoid about leaks, and they give out a bunch of fake names to weed out leakers, firing people on suspicion alone (this is coming from Vergeben, and this is why he can't say who the SE character is, plus there being 7 characters on his list (though he has said he has it down to just 3)).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm really feelin' my boy Geno, I am so confident in him

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It’s not about getting people who wouldn’t buy the game to buy it, it’s about getting people to buy it as fast as possible. Execs get bonuses if they manage to hit certain sales targets. And the game being frontloaded in sales might lead to good headlines (‘Smash Ultimate the best selling same for all of December and all of January!’) and that in turn might drive people to decide to follow suit. It’s all about traction.

Piranha Plant is a known-enough commodity that it would make sense to include as an incentive, while not demanded enough so that they’re not missing out on many sales. (And even then, I’m sure they know they’re still going to recoup costs from after Jan 31st purchases)

It’s naive to think we’re getting a free character with no benefit to Nintendo.

I think you might have struck a nerve there.
I would agree with that if that limit was a week or two, not almost two months.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
geno_and_samus_have_been_in_transformers_universe__by_genoforsmash-dbfix8s.png

Geno was in an official transformer comic, lol. That's crazy

owjies

Smash Journeyman
But... the other statement doesn’t really teach us anything new, does it?

I guess you could say the idea of adding variety helps Geno, but it helps basically every character that isn’t the main character of a big Nintendo franchise. So, basically, everyone but Spring Man.

And Piranha Plant does have to do with big sales numbers. The whole idea of limited time free DLC is to push people to buy and register the game early. So the purpose isn’t to sell Piranha Plant itself, but drive sales for the game more quickly.

I mean, you didn’t believe free DLC was an innocent free gift for us, right?
I agree with this to a point, but I don't necessarily see it as a binary thing. Here's another great quote from Sakurai (Source), "However, soon after joining the company, I became quite worried. I realized there was a large difference between customers’ expectations of a game, and expectations of a game to sell commercially. To me, that felt like a deep and frigid gap. Even though I was supposed to make games that customers would find enjoyable, I sensed the gap between creators and sellers. I distinctly understood that “creations” and “goods” are different."

Going back to Smash 4, I think this statement from Sakurai gives us a little insight into what went into his decision making when approaching Square. Final Fantasy is the flagship franchise for Square (goods), and although there are newer games, Cloud garnered 1/3 of all requests for Final Fantasy characters (creations). For Sakurai, there's probably a lot of give and take between these two sides when selecting characters. Look at Incineroar. Sakurai said today that he was holding a spot open for a new Pokemon by default (goods), and decided to go with Incineraor because he thought a wrestler style would be most fun (creations). I think Piranha Plant falls in this same category as well.

That said, expand out to the roster as a whole. Ridley and K. Rool, although both great characters, were added primarily because of fan demand. On the other hand, Isabelle and Incineroar, characters that no doubt have their own fanbases, are promoting major Nintendo franchises with current and upcoming games. That's why, with Geno I feel like a, "30% chance score," feels about right because I think Sora, DQ, Crono, Lara all have their own merits as well as things holding them back. I don't really see a clear frontrunner. As Fatmanonice has said, Geno's Mii Costume was most likely market research. If it sold well enough, then I don't see any reason why Geno wouldn't be an equal competitor to those other characters.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
View attachment 179027

Geno was in an official transformer comic, lol. That's crazy
This just made me jump back in my chair; I'm laughing my *** off. Geno actually appears as an easter egg in a Transformers comic? That's sooo awesome!! Who in the hell would expect Geno, of all Mario characters, to make a cameo in a Transformers comic.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Geno
"Not even giant robots know the way through the Forest Maze."

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Was anybody able to fact check that supposed leaked Hitagi PM that ForsakenM ForsakenM posted earlier? Hitagi's source being leak baited and presumably black bagged would definitely be a game changer if true.
Here's Hitagi's own words from a couple hours ago:

"Like I've said before, I'm pretty much done with leaking, but not because of people giving me ****. There's a lot of things going on behind the scenes, which is gonna make releasing info on the DLC impossible. Out of the 5 characters only one character is confirmed. What was looking like maybe 3 to 4 characters confirmed, are starting to look like red herrings. So, if you guys expect the full cast of DLC soon, you will be very dissapointed with fake news for a long time up until real confirmations."

The one character he believes is confirmed is Steve. He also said that he's made, "no progress," on the Square character.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

"Like I've said before, I'm pretty much done with leaking, but not because of people giving me ****. There's a lot of things going on behind the scenes, which is gonna make releasing info on the DLC impossible. Out of the 5 characters only one character is confirmed. What was looking like maybe 3 to 4 characters confirmed, are starting to look like red herrings. So, if you guys expect the full cast of DLC soon, you will be very dissapointed with fake news for a long time up until real confirmations."

The one character he believes is confirmed is Steve. He also said that he's made, "no progress," on the Square character.
(That's because it's Geno)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

At last, Harada presumably decided to take matters into his own hands and sent out fake leaks. Looks like everyone's going to be in the dark for this long, cold winter.

(That's because it's Geno)
The culprit being the one that's been in plain sight all along? That might be accurate.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
A very fitting end to the Hitagi saga, who continually back pedalled and changed previous statements almost daily

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
So with Hitagi backing away, There's still Vergeben which i'd say is a pretty believable source. I do expect Minecraft Content to appear in Ultimate. My prediction? a Steve/Alex Mii Sword fighter costume.

I still back up and support Polarpanda's findings and while he hasn't heard anything new from his Source, i'm sure he'll keep you up to date on that.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
A very fitting end to the Hitagi saga, who continually back pedalled and changed previous statements almost daily
That makes two now:

Loz and Hitagi.

So with Hitagi backing away, There's still Vergeben which i'd say is a pretty believable source. I do expect Minecraft Content to appear in Ultimate. My prediction? a Steve/Alex Mii Sword fighter costume. I still back up and support Polarpanda's findings and while he hasn't heard anything new from his Source, i'm sure he'll keep you up to date on that.
He said some content, so I'm expecting:

A. Music tracks from Minecraft because other series that don't have a representing stage or character CAN get music tracks. (Fossil Fighters, Snipperclips, Galaga, Monster Hunter, etc.)

B. A stage with Banjo's (if he's the Microsoft rep) DLC pack.

C. A spirit of Steve or a Creeper.

D. Like you said, maybe a Mii costume.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to look into it, Hitagi's basically "retiring" from leaking. I looked at his statements and basically what he said is that he still believes Steve is in but pretty much everything else he's been told has been leak bait and red herrings. He also doubled down on Banjo not being in. Anyone can find the chat logs on Reddit.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Minecraft content would make total sense, and I’m not against it at all. Smash celebrates some of the biggest names in gaming, and Minecraft has definitely earned that.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Only reason I'm against Minecraft content is because it'd hurt the chances of Banjo

TBone06

Smash Ace
Decided to look into it, Hitagi's basically "retiring" from leaking. I looked at his statements and basically what he said is that he still believes Steve is in but pretty much everything else he's been told has been leak bait and red herrings. He also doubled down on Banjo not being in. Anyone can find the chat logs on Reddit.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Hitagi being wrong is good for Geno? Hitagi was the one who said DQ and Katalina were happening?

If this is the case, this was a good week for Geno. I think the whispers of Cloud being the last addition shows that if another Square character gets in, Geno is the easiest to get, which would make sense for both parties.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Minecraft content would at least help Banjo-Kazooie's chances more than nothing from Microsoft whatsoever.

I'm personally hoping for both B-K and Steve/come on give us a playable Creeper dang it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So with Hitagi backing away, There's still Vergeben which i'd say is a pretty believable source. I do expect Minecraft Content to appear in Ultimate. My prediction? a Steve/Alex Mii Sword fighter costume.

I still back up and support Polarpanda's findings and while he hasn't heard anything new from his Source, i'm sure he'll keep you up to date on that.
We'll see how that goes. Given V's habit of leaking for Bamco games, the success rate of his sources generally end up biting him in the rear end sooner or later, like in the case of DBFZ. Smash DLC being in tighter security this time is going to make it harder for him to find any leads.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Hitagi being wrong is good for Geno? Hitagi was the one who said DQ and Katalina were happening?

If this is the case, this was a good week for Geno. I think the whispers of Cloud being the last addition shows that if another Square character gets in, Geno is the easiest to get, which would make sense for both parties.
Hitagi was sure it was a DQ character, and now he thinks most of the characters he was sure about were Red Herrings. So It's probably good for Geno

But it also could mean very little

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Hitagi was sure it was a DQ character, and now he thinks most of the characters he was sure about were Red Herrings. So It's probably good for Geno

But it also could mean very little
Well I’d rather have someone who was certain DQ was happening be shown as false than shown as confirmed. So while it really changes nothing, it’s still a plus in my books.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
This has been discussed ad nauseam these last couple weeks, but here’s the largest points.

In general:

-Vergeben claims that the Square character will be the first revealed, and others back him up.
-Multiple less credible leakers have specified an announcement at the VGAs, the night before the game’s launch.

Against DQ:

-The series, while basically being a cultural phenomenon in Japan, never really got popular at all in Western countries.
-Even with said Japanese popularity, the idea of “DQ in Smash” hasn’t exactly been too popular or well-requested over there, let alone worldwide.
-If the claims about the Square character starting off the pack are true, then the two leading DQ choices are either “another generic enemy” or “another anime swordsman”, both of which would be quite controversial, especially among Western audiences.
-DQXI is coming to Switch, but the release has a non-specific timeframe of “sometime next year” and hasn’t been announced for anywhere but Japan. Kind of clashes with the idea that the DQ character would be the first one announced, instead of closer to the port’s launch.
-DQ’s composer is generally unpleasant to deal with, to say the least. Not only does he have some particular views that essentially make him bad PR to even negotiate with in the first place, he’s insanely stingy and obsessive when it comes to the Western world hearing his music, most notably leaving Western releases of DQXI with MIDI versions of the incredible orchestrated tracks from Japanese copies.
-Dragon Quest is partly owned by Armor Project, who Square would have to share DLC profits with, something that they might not exactly want to do.

Against Sora:

-Sora is not actually owned by Square in any way, Disney owns him 100%.
-Sora being announced as the first DLC would throw a giant wrench into KH3’s marketing plans, as it would cause confusion from casual audiences over whether the game was coming to Switch or not a literal month before release.
-With Cloud, you had a Playstation-centered character that served as a mascot for a series with a long-standing Nintendo history, including many 3DS releases. Kingdom Hearts, on the other hand, has largely moved on from Nintendo platforms, with the titles that used to be only on their systems recently remastered exclusively for Playstation platforms with no intention to bring them anywhere else.
-The first Smash DLC directly tying into and advertising an imminent release that is only coming to competing platforms because theirs can’t actually run it would be an... interesting move on Nintendo’s part, and one that they probably want to avoid.
-The one time that Sora cameo’d in a non-KH game was as bonus DLC for World of Final Fantasy, which was only available for the first month of the game’s release and then disappeared forever, which could certainly cause its own kind of issue since Smash DLC would obviously have to be quite permanent.

For Geno:

-I’ll skip over the whole “he’s got a sizable following of Smash fans/that one interview/his Mii Costume” stuff, you’re likely well aware of all that.
-We’ve seen roughly 85% of all the Spirits in the game, and he hasn’t shown up as one yet. He has shown up as an “online battle token”, but those have been confirmed to be an entirely separate thing, and not directly sourced from your Spirit collection.
-Said online battle token has not actually been seen in any sort of direct footage, instead being part of the given screenshot for one of the online modes on the menu(notably attached to a Shulk player if you want to get a bit tin-foily about it). No actual footage of the token in use exists.
-One of our users here, PolarPanda, has a friend who has friends that work at NOA, who have leaked Smash-related info before that has turned out to be true with a 100% success rate. They’ve claimed that there’s an ongoing rumor at NOA that says Geno’s in a playable state already, as DLC.
-Recent reports have painted Square as quite hard to work with, with Cloud actually being the final returning character confirmed for the base game due to issues negotiating. Nintendo already has the rights to use Geno for Smash, making negotiations for him as DLC far less of an issue than any other Square character.
-Jon from GX, who regularly makes insanely specific “predictions” that regularly come true, has been recently quite adamant about Geno being the first DLC.

Additional notes:

-Unlike Smash 4, Ultimate has a blind five-character pass on offer for $25. This makes the first reveal that much more important, as it “sets the tone” of said pass.
-Starting off with Sora or a DQ rep, while definitely selling a bunch of individual $5.99 DLCs, would most likely not sell as many full passes as a fan-favorite character would, whether Geno or otherwise. A fan-favorite request would raise hopes that “your Smash request” got in, compared to Sora and DQ indicating a more “mass-market” sort of approach that could actually serve to turn people off from buying in blindly.

That’s about every big point that I can think of, now you’re caught up with the last two weeks or so.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hitagi was pretty much the only reason Dragon Quest and Granblue were part of the overall conversation. Honestly it's for the best, even though he was pretty adamant about Steve and Banjo but how would he know that? I can understand if he knew characters but how would he know characters that weren't even considered like he claimed? Regardless, he's also the only person who has definitively said Steve too so that raises a number of questions. Even Piranha Plant had several leakers.

Add in: Also, how did this guy become noted as a credible leaker? The only other thing he seems to mostly post on Reddit is porn...

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
This has been discussed as nauseam these last couple weeks, but here’s the largest points.

In general:

-Vergeben claims that the Square character will be the first revealed, and others back him up.
-Multiple less credible leakers have specified an announcement at the VGAs, the night before the game’s launch.

Against DQ:

-The series, while basically being a cultural phenomenon in Japan, never really got popular at all in Western countries.
-Even with said Japanese popularity, the idea of “DQ in Smash” hasn’t exactly been too popular or well-requested over there, let alone worldwide.
-If the claims about the Square character starting off the pack are true, then the two leading DQ choices are either “another generic enemy” or “another anime swordsman”, both of which would be quite controversial, especially among Western audiences.
-DQXI is coming to Switch, but the release has a non-specific timeframe of “sometime next year” and hasn’t been announced for anywhere but Japan. Kind of clashes with the idea that the DQ character would be the first one announced, instead of closer to the port’s launch.
-DQ’s composer is generally unpleasant to deal with, to say the least. Not only does he have some particular views that essentially make him bad PR to even negotiate with in the first place, he’s insanely stingy and obsessive when it comes to the Western world hearing his music, most notably leaving Western releases of DQXI with MIDI versions of the incredible orchestrated tracks from Japanese copies.
-Dragon Quest is owned by Armor Project, who Square would have to share DLC profits with, something that they might not exactly want to do.

Against Sora:

-Sora is not actually owned by Square in any way, Disney owns him 100%.
-Sora being announced as the first DLC would throw a giant wrench into KH3’s marketing plans, as it would cause confusion from casual audiences over whether the game was coming to Switch or not a literal month before release.
-With Cloud, you had a Playstation-centered character that served as a mascot for a series with a long-standing Nintendo history, including many 3DS releases. Kingdom Hearts, on the other hand, has largely moved on from Nintendo platforms, with the titles that used to be only on their systems recently remastered exclusively for Playstation platforms with no intention to bring them anywhere else.
-The first Smash DLC directly tying into and advertising an imminent release that is only coming to competing platforms because theirs can’t actually run it would be an... interesting move on Nintendo’s part, and one they probably want to avoid.

For Geno:

-I’ll skip over the whole “he’s got a sizable following of Smash fans/that one interview/his Mii Costume” stuff, you’re likely well aware of all that.
-We’ve seen roughly 85% of all the Spirits in the game, and he hasn’t shown up as one yet. He has shown up as an “online battle token”, but those have been confirmed to be an entirely separate thing, and not directly sourced from your Spirit collection.
-Said online battle token has not actually been seen in any sort of direct footage, instead being part of the given screenshot for one of the online modes on the menu(notably attached to a Shulk player if you want to get a bit tin-foily about it). No actual footage of the token in use exists.
-One of our users here, PolarPanda, has a friend who has friends who work at NOA, who have leaked Smash-related info before that has turned out to be true with a 100% success rate. They’ve claimed that there’s an ongoing rumor st NOA that says Geno’s in a playable state already, as DLC.
-Jon from GX, who regularly makes insanely specific “predictions” that regularly come true has been recently quite adamant about Geno being the first DLC.

Additional notes:

-Unlike Smash 4, Ultimate has a blind five-character pass on offer for $25. This makes the first reveal that much more important, as it “sets the tone” of said pass.
-Starting off with Sora or a DQ rep, while definitely selling a bunch of individual $5.99 DLCs, would most likely not sell as many full passes as a fan-favorite character would, whether Geno or otherwise. A fan-favorite request would raise hopes that “your Smash request” got in, compared to Sora and DQ indicating a more “mass-market” sort of approach that could actually serve to turn people off from buying in blindly.

That’s about every big point that I can think of, now you’re caught up with the last two weeks or so.
Thank you for putting all the evidence together after two weeks, since everything is kind of separated. All of this is top-notch and perfect. Now I can tell my friends, who are supporting Geno's inclusion, why Geno is the most likely Square rep; they'll regain hope and be happy. Also, I'd love to explain this to the Geno haters who say, "Geno is too irrelevant and there's no way he'd be picked by Nintendo, plus he's a spirit." Thank goodness for internet lawyers. What would we do without you, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , ForsakenM ForsakenM , and RingJ5 RingJ5 ?

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Please do not give up hope for puppetboi. Without you Genobros, the Smash hype just won't be the same!

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Hitagi was pretty much the only reason Dragon Quest and Granblue were part of the overall conversation. Honestly it's for the best, even though he was pretty adamant about Steve and Banjo but how would he know that? I can understand if he knew characters but how would he know characters that weren't even considered like he claimed? Regardless, he's also the only person who has definitively said Steve too so that raises a number of questions. Even Piranha Plant had several leakers.

Add in: Also, how did this guy become noted as a credible leaker? The only other thing he seems to mostly post on Reddit is porn...
Dragon Quest is super likely regardless. It's the next big franchise from the 80s/early 90s. Negotiation issues are the only thing potentially holding it back.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I finally got around to playing Mario RPG for the first time. Just got to Booster Tower. I'm loving the game.

Would totally be down for Geno as DLC now

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Press S to spit on arrogance and fake leaks

I finally got around to playing Mario RPG for the first time. Just got to Booster Tower. I'm loving the game.

Would totally be down for Geno as DLC now
If you don’t mind me asking was it through a PC emulator or SNES Classic or something else?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Dragon Quest is super likely regardless. It's the next big franchise from the 80s/early 90s. Negotiation issues are the only thing potentially holding it back.
A lot of negotiation issues, basically three parties with Square Enix, Armor Project, and the composer who might as well just be named King Douche for a ton of reasons. We also calculated it and roughly 93% of the series' sales have been in Japan and it hasn't had a really successful Western release since the 80's. Dragon Quest has never been on Nintendo virtual consoles and wasn't on the NES or SNES Classic except for a very limited Japan exclusive Shonen Jump NES Classic. There's other things going on but these are the biggest take aways.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I know I asked this question before, but there was not much discussion about it. If we got a whole bunch of SMRPG spirits to come along with Geno, what would be there functions and/or fighters they would inhabit?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know I asked this question before, but there was not much discussion about it. If we got a whole bunch of SMRPG spirits to come along with Geno, what would be there functions and/or fighters they would inhabit?
I kind of feel like even if they add more Mario RPG spirits, they won't be in spirits of light mode. They'll just be unlocked for you to use

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I kind of feel like even if they add more Mario RPG spirits, they won't be in spirits of light mode. They'll just be unlocked for you to use
That's sad, would love to see the possible creative scenarios they could make with the spirits. Then I guess the better question is what you guys would make if they were battles? Even if it's not happening, its fun to think about. And I certainly think this thread needs something fun for a change, at least for a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom