• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've been thinking about a hypothetical Mario RPG and while there would be so many changes to consider (aesthetics, music, story expansion), I think a basic New Game + would an interesting addition; either as official post game content or simply an option from the beginning. While an increased difficulty would be an obvious change, I think there's all sorts of contrasting elements that would really make it a different experience for a second playthrough. Mario not having to be in battles, more complex inputs (with greater results) for action commands, more specific damages/effects of elemental magic, and maybe even commands for items that change their effectiveness.

Just basically things that you wouldn't feel cheated out of if they weren't in the main game but wouldn't fundamentally change the nature of the gameplay if you had them for proverbial second quest.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Man... I just want Geno for you guys and think he is pretty darn likely. Why have the last couple pages recently been arguing about HGV and someone's harmless theories? Just state your opinion and move on. None of those things affect Geno's chances. He's in regardless of you or I's opinions on HGV or Fatman's theories.

I don't know if Geno will be revealed next week or the week after that or even before 2020 ends. I have stopped putting much stock into insiders unless they're really verified and have just been sitting back waiting for the inevitable to occur; which is Geno getting into Smash. I don't know if Fatman's theories will pan out, or if HGV should be "canceled", or if anyone will like this post.

What I do know is that Geno will be a DLC fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. We can count on it.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Hi guys new (or old returning here), I was active during the Brawl days but I lost my old Smashboards account. Either way I just came to say that I think Geno's chances look pretty good, and it's exciting seeing that so many things are lining up for him.
Have a Geno hat!

Attachments

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I keep seeing your Tweets about you laughing at us. Is our suffering a joke to you?
The **** are you even talking about? I'm laughing at hotgirl's stupid nonsense. The only geno thing i have said recently is how geno haters are turning to believers and called them bipolars, lol. (I know it's a joke)

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I'm holding out the hope that we will get our due soon enough; Ideally, the next character in the lineup will be Geno, partially so we get him sooner than later, but partially because the speculation game is very exhausting, and the moment Geno appears in the game is the moment I plan to cease thinking super hard about who's up next in the DLC. At that point, I'll be able to sit back, relax, and just be pleasantly surprised with whomever is next in line to join the fight.

I have a couple of other characters in mind that would make me go, "Oh, neat!", but, nothing quite to the level of Geno.

Characters I have seriously wanted in this franchise since Brawl, I've gotten King Dedede, I've gotten Diddy Kong, I've gotten Sonic, Mega Man, Cloud, PAC-MAN, the Koopalings via Bowser Jr., Inkling, King K. Rool, Simon Belmont, Banjo & Kazooie -- The last character I've been earnestly wanting to appear since Smash Bros. Brawl is Geno. I've gotten everyone else. I'm thrilled that I've gotten so many of my wants in this game as it is. Geno's the final pick for me.

Hopefully, he'll finally appear soon, and this longstanding wish of mine will be granted at last. We shall see.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I do believe that Geno is 100% in at this point because of Super Mario's 35th anniversary, Jeff Grubb tweet on Super Mario RPG, and the Cacomallow leak, which could be the same guy who did the Ken leak 2 years ago. Looks like Terminalmontage and the creators of Bowser's Kingdom and Smash Kingdom's dream are coming true.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
I'm holding out the hope that we will get our due soon enough; Ideally, the next character in the lineup will be Geno, partially so we get him sooner than later, but partially because the speculation game is very exhausting, and the moment Geno appears in the game is the moment I plan to cease thinking super hard about who's up next in the DLC. At that point, I'll be able to sit back, relax, and just be pleasantly surprised with whomever is next in line to join the fight.

I have a couple of other characters in mind that would make me go, "Oh, neat!", but, nothing quite to the level of Geno.

Characters I have seriously wanted in this franchise since Brawl, I've gotten King Dedede, I've gotten Diddy Kong, I've gotten Sonic, Mega Man, Cloud, PAC-MAN, the Koopalings via Bowser Jr., Inkling, King K. Rool, Simon Belmont, Banjo & Kazooie -- The last character I've been earnestly wanting to appear since Smash Bros. Brawl is Geno. I've gotten everyone else. I'm thrilled that I've gotten so many of my wants in this game as it is. Geno's the final pick for me.

Hopefully, he'll finally appear soon, and this longstanding wish of mine will be granted at last. We shall see.
I get it! For me the same, the only one in Geno Levels was Mega Man which is already in 💙and that day was priceless. I still replay that trailer and Mega Man is my baby/Main and most wanted back then (Toon Link is also my main 💚). Others I want are Skull Kid, Knuckles or Tails, and Zero from MMX. But no one at Geno God level. Bring me Geno playable and I’m 100% satisfied and paid in full with gaming hahaha :D

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Then if they're not locks, why do you feel the need to bring them up constantly in this thread
Tfw when speculation is a sin.

People often forgets than Fatman is just a guy like you and me. If you have a problem go resolve it on DMs jeeeez

Also Geno vibes, I want Geno this next week, pretty please <3 :4pacman:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Tfw when speculation is a sin.

People often forgets than Fatman is just a guy like you and me. If you have a problem go resolve it on DMs jeeeez

Also Geno vibes, I want Geno this next week, pretty please <3 :4pacman:
I said in that exact same comment that it's fine if he predicts characters, but he shouldn't go public with the whole prospect of "My research AND insider discussions make these characters likely" (in particular, the insider portion) until he is very confident in their chances. But I have nothing else to add to the conversation.

Anyways I also hope Geno is 7, but at this point; I think he's more likely to be 8.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I just hope we're getting Fighter 7 soon, preferably sometime before we hit October. All the supposed signs of its arrival are there, all we just need now is the actual fighter itself... any day now...

QQS

Smash Lord
People, I found a picture that summarize all that I always say, which is happening this month, probably this week as #77 along with Square’s new Cloud amiibo, Nintendo’s new Mario amiibo and Geno promoting the Pack and SMRPG to the SNES online “later today” + maybe a Sequel or remake announced for 2021. Also Geno bringing back Chocobo Costume, and a surprise Square costume like Crono or Sora. Also Premium Costume of The Knight. Then, Crash and Rayman joining the battle later in the FP2. Crash coming to Smash promoting Crash 4 to Switch.

B1410F2D-4F66-4F24-9E67-B8B965240726.jpeg

EDIT: Photo credits by Ivan Ramirez.

GENO JOINS THE PARTY!

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Dude, I fully understand that my opinion is **** to a lot of people and all and speaking your mind is fine but did you really need to insult me with this "typical US westerner mindset" crap? Yes, I am a westerner. How dare I not like Japenese RPGs and others games besides Nintendo and select others? Also, I never said I was actually rooting for Bubsy in Smash. I said I just would prefer him over others because I don't have a damn hate boner for him compared to everyone else (granted I never played any Bubsy games but still).
A little late, but I'm coming in to say I share your sentiment with your other post and this one too. One thing I noticed with every character request with this game since the November Direct were a slew of realistic or RPG protagonists. They all have some type of sword or like you said, come from an RPG. The cartoony characters always stand out because they're not just generic humanoids, they have a personality and their design usually lends to that. Look at Banjo-Kazooie compared to everyone else in the first pass. And worse are the people using cereal mascots as a con against those characters. It doesn't help that with Smash Four's DLC, there were only two cartoony designs and the rest were humans. I can't stand the 'cool' swordsmen self-inserts that are being pushed by the fandom. Never mind the realistic humans.

On a side note, notice how angry Mario was in the last two games in comparison to how he usually is in his own games? Remember how Giga Bowser was conceived? If Geno gets in, I hope Sakurai will at least showcase his more exaggerated reactions and not go for the badass route like he so desperately did with Metaknight as a whole. It's okay for a character with a cartoon design to be happy and upbeat. Maybe that's why they use the cereal mascot term so much, a desperate attempt to try to make something deemed as uncool 'cool' and acceptable in their eyes. Reminder that Sakurai settled for Ninjara as ARMS' initial rep, a ninja which is deemed as 'cool'.

Noipoi

Howdy!
A little late, but I'm coming in to say I share your sentiment with your other post and this one too. One thing I noticed with every character request with this game since the November Direct were a slew of realistic or RPG protagonists. They all have some type of sword or like you said, come from an RPG. The cartoony characters always stand out because they're not just generic humanoids, they have a personality and their design usually lends to that. Look at Banjo-Kazooie compared to everyone else in the first pass. And worse are the people using cereal mascots as a con against those characters. It doesn't help that with Smash Four's DLC, there were only two cartoony designs and the rest were humans. I can't stand the 'cool' swordsmen self-inserts that are being pushed by the fandom. Never mind the realistic humans.
As an (amateur) animator, character designer, and all around cartoon fan I much prefer the wackier characters in smash to the more realistic ones. They’re good too, don’t get me wrong, but the cartoony ones are much more expressive. When Banjo swings the home run bat Kazooie pops out with her wing over her eyes to see how to see how far he hit it, that’s great! It’s part of why I’m hoping for Crash honestly.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

On a side note, notice how angry Mario was in the last two games in comparison to how he usually is in his own games? Remember how Giga Bowser was conceived? If Geno gets in, I hope Sakurai will at least showcase his more exaggerated reactions and not go for the badass route like he so desperately did with Metaknight as a whole. It's okay for a character with a cartoon design to be happy and upbeat. Maybe that's why they use the cereal mascot term so much, a desperate attempt to try to make something deemed as uncool 'cool' and acceptable in their eyes. Reminder that Sakurai settled for Ninjara as ARMS' initial rep, a ninja which is deemed as 'cool'.
Geno can be up beat AND serious, you know~ He certainly shouldn't be happy go lucky. He's a warrior on a mission.

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, he has a few silly moments in the game and he's not this stoic tryhard that the anti-Geno Force tries to paint him as. As a puppet he's already limited in what he can show visually but again he's shown expressions outside of his neutral face.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I said in that exact same comment that it's fine if he predicts characters, but he shouldn't go public with the whole prospect of "My research AND insider discussions make these characters likely" (in particular, the insider portion) until he is very confident in their chances. But I have nothing else to add to the conversation.

Anyways I also hope Geno is 7, but at this point; I think he's more likely to be 8.
Bruh, he is confident in the information he has gathered.

If he wasn't, he would say he wasn't.

Where is your headspace at my dude? It's like you are uptight about something but you don't even know what it is or why you are uptight.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
TBH, It seems like this could be our week...
Hopefully it happens!
I think i can speak for every damn thread in this forum website… when I say that I do hope this next week (which already begun) is everyone's week in the sense that we can finally stop wondering who the hell fp7 is, haha. Shinobi (the insider) apparently said that MH for switch "should" be announced before TGS, so I dunno if this mean a mini or something is coming? cause it would be weird if they shadow drop as a tweet something as big as MH… I have absolutely no idea what to think about how they will make any announcements this week. This is also the week of the last maintenance that was announced in a total of 3 of them since august, so we will see if there's a presentation this week after all... pleeease god just let this pain end already lol

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I sure missed a war here, huh? Let's try not to get this thread locked AGAIN. It's nice to read what people think and look at ****posts.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
She also defends Cuties.
Unrelated but regarding this movie, I actually sat down and watched it myself. With one half saying this is an abomination that shouldn't exist, and the other half defending it saying it's actually a commentary on the exploitation of children and the director's experience with it and only blaming Netflix for the butchered advertising, I figured the only way to actually get an opinion on my own was to sit down and watch Cuties, going in with an open mind.

I now feel like I should be arrested. Like genuinely, I want to actually turn myself in. The advertising is only the tip of the iceberg Genobros... it is SO much worse... 🤮

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Hey, real quick question for the thread, what are the odds of something SMRPG/Smash related being announced at the TGS? Just wanna make sure so I don’t miss anything in case something is revealed there. :geno:

Last edited:

Elmorethemagician

Smash Journeyman
Whenever Geno does get revealed sometime this week or whenever I may not visit smashboards much anymore...
Once he gets in I'm pretty much satisfied with smash... I've been really busy with game development and the main reason why I came here is to just make friends on this support thread.
I hope the stars align sooner or later, it's been a wild ride!

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Something I have noticed since I made a profile and started posting in this thread back in 2018 is that this thread follows a cycle:

1. People talk about and are generally hype for Geno. We discuss potential movesets, stages, etc.

2. Something happens either publicly or in “””insider circles””” that drums up speculation in Geno specifically. Fatman shares what he has heard about said happenings and offers his personal take.

3. People get very excited by these happenings and compare them with other “evidence” to Geno getting in. In general there’s palpable hype within the thread. People are on the edge of their seats to see it finally pan out.

4. Whatever seems like is going to happen doesn’t. Geno is not revealed. People are disappointed but overall still hopeful. Fatman gives his take on how things panned out relative to what he has known.

5. A particular set of people who for whatever reason dislike fatman, this thread, the character, etc. are drawn to the lack of things panning out like sharks with blood in the water. It is the same set of users everytime. They either are criticizing something Fatman in particular has speculated on or heaping likes on people who are.

6. Fatman and other people on this thread push back against these criticisms with their own arguments. This goes back and forth for several pages worth of the thread. At some point something crosses the line to the point that mods lock the thread.

7. The thread is reopened and mods warn if this happens again the thread could be permanently closed. An awkward few pages of “Uh.. haha anyway how about that Geno, huh?” ensues. Certain people who a fair-weather posters at best jump in to chide the rest of the thread for making the Geno fan base “look bad”.

8. Discussion slows down and people complain about it being slow until Step 1 happens and the cycle resets.

From my count we’re on Step 6 of (approximately) Cycle 5 of this. So with this cycle in mind I have some observations/questions: Why do people come to this thread to confront and criticize a single poster? I don’t think that really happens to posters on other specific threads. I don’t hear or see people on this thread going to other threads to criticize their hype/“evidence” pertaining to their favored character. We get criticized arguably more than any other thread for being an echochamber but in reality most other character threads are either ghost towns or places where people are allowed to be as hype as they please without people jumping in to criticize specific posters. What harm does it do to you specifically for someone to share what they have heard from others and their own opinions? Does Fatman being in the know somehow justify people derailing the thread over his posts? I personally have my own takes on Fatman’s speculation and there are clearly times where he has been wrong. But genuinely: Who cares? Who does this actively harm? If it weren’t for Step 5 this thread would just cycle between 1 and 4 and that seems to be what happens in most other threads.

idk I just thought that was interesting lol

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I do think that Master Chief would be MEGA EXCITING, like THE THING to pair with Geno for a Smash Bros E3 announcement: Geno being "the Nintendo fan favorite/long awaited character", Chief being "the gaming icon that nobody expected". Geno/Chief combo would have stolen E3, even without new hardware from Nintendo.

THAT SAID, I'm not so sure how much I buy into Chief as of this moment. It relies so heavily on Master Chief Collection coming to Switch and to my knowledge we haven't had that much more beyond hearsay proving that to be anything more than rumor, whereas Geno has had an entire list of odd coincidences and such in his favor.

Despite the interview regarding Doom and the existence of the Vaultboy Mii (another Bethesda character that might have gone with Doomguy unless they really wanna keep "Id Software" front and center separate from Bethesda), I'd argue there's more in favor of Doomguy being in and the interview being a lie/deflection all along. I honestly DOUBT it, but you have to admit: We KNOW Doom Eternal is coming to Switch but it's gone missing despite being announced. Perhaps (adjust your tin foil hat for this one) Smash has something to do with it or there is some Super Switch coming with beefed up hardware that Doom Eternal is waiting to take advantage of? Plus there's the whole Cacomallow debate still in play.

And the last bit that will surely light a few fires if I haven't lit a fire already: I... tend to trust Imran when he said something along the lines of expecting more Nintendo characters this time around. I know people are expecting "a Capcom fighter, a Namco fighter, etc etc" but... don't be heartbroken if the characters are something more like "a Zelda fighter, a Pokemon" and the most Namco we get is a Ms. Pac-man echo fighter rather than "The Lloyd". That's kinda where I'm setting my expectations right now and yeah, there's very few fighters that would really set me off and make me not want them.

But I'm definitely prepared for "Geno and 8 aka the E3 couple" to be "the big ones" and the rest of them barring any surprise "bonus fighters" or additional Echo fighters, most of the remaining fighters will be Nintendo characters/more Nintendo characters than people are expecting. It would also fit in with Smash's hype cycle psychology of "Save the best for somewhere in the middle instead of last"
If he’s right about that, I imagine it’ll be a 50:50 split. Most people were expecting an entirely third party pass, so three Nintendo characters would be way more than people were expecting.

I’m curious to where Geno would count here. He’s legally a third party character but he’s a Mario character. So do you count him with the third parties who’ll probably be from new franchises or alongside the Nintendo characters who may come from franchises that are already repped?

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Because it deserves to be called out. This weird recent contrarian idea that getting characters that the fanbase has wanted as far back as Melee is less desirable than getting HPV on your eyelids is just full on Flanderization of the Smash fanbase itself. We have physical evidence from Nintendo itself that people have been requesting characters like Geno and Crash since literally before Melee and we now have this growing narrative that this would unironically be bad? We saw grown men crying over K. Rool and Banjo but actually getting someone like Dante after 15 years is somehow undesirable? Again, it's the duality of the Smash fanbase and how it can never be satisfied, even when it gets what it literally wants.
I don't even know what you're talking about anymore. Some guy mocked you and said vanilla ice cream and you are going off about how everyone thinks picks are boring. I'm lost, and you vent as much as you want... yeesh

Droodle

Smash Lord
Currently, I'm of the thought that Master Chief is Fighter 7 due to certain reasons, and Geno is Fighter 8. The dream would be if Isaac followed Geno.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Something I have noticed since I made a profile and started posting in this thread back in 2018 is that this thread follows a cycle:

1. People talk about and are generally hype for Geno. We discuss potential movesets, stages, etc.

2. Something happens either publicly or in “””insider circles””” that drums up speculation in Geno specifically. Fatman shares what he has heard about said happenings and offers his personal take.

3. People get very excited by these happenings and compare them with other “evidence” to Geno getting in. In general there’s palpable hype within the thread. People are on the edge of their seats to see it finally pan out.

4. Whatever seems like is going to happen doesn’t. Geno is not revealed. People are disappointed but overall still hopeful. Fatman gives his take on how things panned out relative to what he has known.

5. A particular set of people who for whatever reason dislike fatman, this thread, the character, etc. are drawn to the lack of things panning out like sharks with blood in the water. It is the same set of users everytime. They either are criticizing something Fatman in particular has speculated on or heaping likes on people who are.

6. Fatman and other people on this thread push back against these criticisms with their own arguments. This goes back and forth for several pages worth of the thread. At some point something crosses the line to the point that mods lock the thread.

7. The thread is reopened and mods warn if this happens again the thread could be permanently closed. An awkward few pages of “Uh.. haha anyway how about that Geno, huh?” ensues. Certain people who a fair-weather posters at best jump in to chide the rest of the thread for making the Geno fan base “look bad”.

8. Discussion slows down and people complain about it being slow until Step 1 happens and the cycle resets.

From my count we’re on Step 6 of (approximately) Cycle 5 of this. So with this cycle in mind I have some observations/questions: Why do people come to this thread to confront and criticize a single poster? I don’t think that really happens to posters on other specific threads. I don’t hear or see people on this thread going to other threads to criticize their hype/“evidence” pertaining to their favored character. We get criticized arguably more than any other thread for being an echochamber but in reality most other character threads are either ghost towns or places where people are allowed to be as hype as they please without people jumping in to criticize specific posters. What harm does it do to you specifically for someone to share what they have heard from others and their own opinions? Does Fatman being in the know somehow justify people derailing the thread over his posts? I personally have my own takes on Fatman’s speculation and there are clearly times where he has been wrong. But genuinely: Who cares? Who does this actively harm? If it weren’t for Step 5 this thread would just cycle between 1 and 4 and that seems to be what happens in most other threads.

idk I just thought that was interesting lol
That is what always happens, yes.

It's because of a couple of things.

1.- The thread has one of the biggest followings and many people may feel overwhelmed/threatened by that I comparison with other characters.

2.- Fatman has some ties with people in the business, and for better or worse, that has get him flack for having to be close to the whole deal with waiting and debating, and knowing what could happen than other fanbases. Other fanbases just wait it out, praying that a character comes in with relatively no news but us? We could look into rumours, patterns and expectations and set up ourselves (not me anymore) for a situation where we could see something or not.

3.- Like the previous point, the expectations are set up due to the size of the community and fanbases and when something happens or not, people look our way.

4.- The back and forth with what is talked/analyzed in this thread can be both entertaining in a way and tiresome. It creates an expectation and when nothing's happens or it does, people get mad for being "strung along". Sometimes for it happening over and over again if they have been on the thread for so long now.

Those would be my guesses.

:bowser: .

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Can't argue with that. After all, I've enjoyed playing as Dragonborn and Waluigi :4pacman:
Because confidence wills things into existence apparently. Look, man, I'm sorry that as a literal $15 an hour scrub lord I can't alter the metaphysical world to my predictions to prevent unironic criticism almost 10 months after the fact. While we're on the topic of people being wrong about things, let's roll that beautiful bean footage from yesterday:

Dragon Quest was a huge get for Smash, but that didn't really matter, because it was still in direct competition with Geno, and - at the time - was seen as a "better luck next time". So this thread was rightfully upset about it. I don't recall you saying "well, Dragon Quest is a big deal for the entirety of the Smash fanbase, so we shouldn't be upset about it". No, because it was an affront to Geno.

Literally the opposite of what you claimed. I'll be sure to hold this against you forever and bring it up randomly 10 months from now because I too like having internet acquittances live rent free in my subconscious.:4pacman:

"Wow, that's mean." Is it? Your history in this thread is overwhelmingly coming in here to get on me or complain about me or complain about people who agree with me and it's literally YOUR CHOICE to come in here, get upset by what I say, and then try to start something. It's not like I'm going to other threads: people will specifically come to this thread, get angry, and then blame me for them getting angry. With you specifically, we go through this on like a monthly basis where we squabble, you leave, and then come back like a few weeks later to repeat it all over again. Mods repeatedly saying "if you have a beef with Fatman, keep it out of the thread" is apparently code for "let's turn the Geno thread into Ground Round Town."

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
So uh....let’s see if we can skip Step 7...

Who’s thinking of a Smash announcement this week? It’s certainly possible! Any hints on Resetera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom